Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,550 members, 7,823,426 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious (7376 Views)

Okonjo-Iweala: Oshiomhole After Me Because I Blocked His ‘Dubious N15bn Loan’ / Atiku Formed Dubious Coalition With Saraki And Obj Because Of 2019 - Omatseye / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by Lawijo(m): 5:34pm On May 20, 2007
Ijogbon? Ijogbon?
First you try playing ignorant by asking for the definition of corrupt and dubious.
And then start pointing fingers at other Nations that are corrupt in your opinion. As if this should justify the magnitude of corruption in the Nigerian society. Moreover, those countries you’ve mentioned, they at least have health care systems that cater for the majority of the populace, stable supply of electricity, consumable water supply, good roads network, telecommunication, good education system etc. to mention but a few.
Who cares if those countries you’ve mentioned are corrupt and dubious! Let’s look and talk about Nigeria, that’s the country this post is intended to address.
Yes. Corruption and being dubious can be very relative and almost everyone might be guilty one way or the other.
They all looted and continue to loot the gullible African people. They receive the proceeds of the looting of African treasuries by their leaders and refuse to return these funds”….This is exactly part of the point! You might want to ask yourself why the looting isn’t happening the other way around. Could it be because that the citizens of those other countries are less ready and less willing to compromise themselves as the average Nigerian?
I guess this is what the poster is trying to address. I totally disagree with figures though.
Corruption is very rampant and endemic in the Nigerian society, and the average Nigerian tends not to have a clue or tend to turn blind eyes to the pitiable and devastating consequences of this evil eating up our society. It’s about time we started developing a different orientation as a people as far as corruption is concerned.
We have a great nation in terms of raw materials and human capital, reduce corruption and Nigeria will be one of the best countries on earth to reside. I am not asking for Eutopia, no society is perfect, we all know this. But Nigeria why this level of self-destruction?
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 20, 2007
There can be no doubt that there is a certain percentage of Nigerians that are corrupt, but not all.

However when we look at corruption in its truest sense, I can say with confidence that the western world is far more corrupt than the third world, only that they call their corruption ' civilization '.

When George Bush goes to war for oil and thousands of innocent lives are lost, what do you call that ? At the very worst, though still sad, a few hundreds die from armed robbery and corrupt incidents in Nigeria yearly. However through the lust for other people's land and their resources, the west have been responsible for the murder of millions and theft of trillions around the world and they are still doing it today, albeit through very sly and subtle tactics and in connivance with a few elite in our countries.

I also work with white colleagues who lie, cheat and sometimes falsify their time sheets . So from my point of view the so called civilized world is the greatest enhancer of corruption and theft.

Before the west infiltrated Africa hundreds of years ago, people lived contented and quiet lives with their goats, cows and family. Once the western man arrived , they taught us GREED and deception. Today Nigeria is the beacon of this western phenomenon in the whole of Africa. Thats why you see American style greed based churches stealing millions from our brethren. ( I am born again - but I believe in the old time holiness doctrine not all this nonsense prosperity gospel ). So called NGOs coming to spy our land and resources and report back to their governments ( I have prove of this from a former NGO American official who is now a Christian ).

So while Nigerians indulge to an extent in ' petty corruption and theft ', the BARONS live in the ' democratic ' and ' civilized ' first world.

When I return home for visits I see lots of friends and family who in the midst of difficulty have resolved to live with integrity and honesty rather than steal.

99% is too high a figure, lets say 20% but that is still a lot if they hold on to the bulk of the wealth.
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by Ollie39: 6:16pm On May 20, 2007
Corrupt and Dubious!! I agree those and more are the words I would associate with majority of Nigerians, it is so endemic that I believe that it will take hundreds of years to purge it from the psyche of the typical Nigerian.

This has nothingto do with poverty because the wealthiest are the most corrupt.

Take Babagngida for instance, he was not satisfied with what he looted in the past and wanted to come into govt again to finish off what he started - oloshi!!
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by DisGuy: 6:18pm On May 20, 2007
At the very worst, though still sad, a few hundreds die from armed robbery and corrupt incidents in Nigeria yearly.
just few hundreds?

I think the poster or the person that made the comment is talking on an individual level not necessarily country policies/actions, though related.
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by jeddy(m): 6:23pm On May 20, 2007
We are all at fault to whats happening in our nation, but i am happy that God is not asleep but still has His grace over us.
We can build our nation again if we all put our hands together but it must start from the HEAD(President), Discipline must begin from the Father which then passes on to the linage.
A Disciplined President leads to a DISCIPLINED leadership.
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by Nobody: 6:37pm On May 20, 2007
This is exactly what I am talking about - Stereotyping a whole nation .

Sorry but I cannot agree that 99% of Nigerians are corrupt because I meet a lot of them frequently who are honest, hardworking and professional.

Put it this way, if 500,000 out of 150 million Nigerians are corrupt that is still a lot because the bad is always noticed while the good ignored.

Common guys and gals be positive , we are too negative.

There are about a million Nigerians in the UK . Only a few dozens or at the very worst 100s will ever be convicted of a crime. The problem is that these incidents will not go unnoticed because of our large population.

As for the police I can agree, the army yes, the NITEL etc etc, but not all of them are corrupt and in proportion to the population, how many are they.

Until we stop looking down on each other there can never be progress.

Yes, I will not trust a Nigerian by default ( this is not contradictory ) but will learn their ways and analyze their style of life, once it proves to be transparent I have no fear of such a person.

BE POSITIVE
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by NymphoQin(f): 6:50pm On May 20, 2007
good points frosbel smiley
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by etio(m): 7:35pm On May 20, 2007
ONLY SOMEONE LIKE YOU WILL MAKE SUCH A STUPID STATEMENT. WHERE ARE  YOUR FACTS?
WELL HERE ARE SOME NOTABLE NIGERIANS WHO ARE NOT CORRUPT BOTH IN NIGERIA AND ABROAD.

PASTOR MATTHEW ASHIMOLOWO A YORUBA MAN RUNS THE LARGEST CHURCH IN THE UK.

PASTOR SUNDAY ADELAJA  A YORUBA MAN  RUNS THE LARGEST CHURCH IN THE UKRAINE.

AGBANI DEREGO WAS THE FIRST AFRICAN TO WIN THE MISS WORLD BEAUTY PEAGENT. SHE WAS FOMERLY A STUDENT OF UNIPORT.

DAVID OYEDEPO IS ONE OF THE MOST SOUGHT AFTER PASTORS IN THE WORLD .HE HAS THE LARGEST SINGLE SEATING CHURCH IN THE WORLD. HIS CHURCH WAS BUILT  SOLELY BY NIGERIAN ARCHITECTS WITHOUT ANY PILLARS TO HOLD THEM. (FOREIGN ACHITECTS WHO CAME SAID THE CHURCH COULD NEVER BE BUILT WITHOUT PILLARS)
HIS CHURCH IS IN THE GUINESS BOOK OF RECORDS AS AN ARCHITECTURAL MASTERPIECE.

The launch of the first made in Nigeria computer by Zinox Technologies on the 9th of October, 2001 at the Eko Le Meridien Hotel, showcased the potentials of Nigeria's private sector. This computer was manufactured by a nigerian.

GBENGA Akinnagbe, a Nigerian-American actor was formerly a mayor of Rockville.He was never indicted for being corrupt in the U.S.

PROF Andrew Evwaraye, Ph.D.  a former lecturer of uniport  in the year 2000 worked for NASA SPACE AGENCY. He is still in the U.S till today.He is currently a lecturer in  the University of dayton.
check this site  to know all about him.http://artssciences.udayton.edu/physics/ShowProfile.asp?u=220GKCG3G30&t=Faculty

Prof Nwangwu another nigerian who has lived in america for 34yrs(without any allegation of being corrupt) got the award of bussiness man of the year 2005.

Prof Nwangwu has made many remarkable achievements including the invention of two new techniques in pharmacology that are used widely worldwide, invention of seven new drugs that are patented in the United States, the authorship and publication of the book, "Concepts and Strategies in New Drug Development," Praeger Publishers, New York (1983), which is best seller in the field of new drug development in U.S, Canada and Europe. In addition to these, Prof Nwangwu is the first scientist in the world to document and publish the first in vivo murine ventricular tachycardia in a single surface electrocardiogram lead, which is now used widely as a model of human cardiomyopathy for medical research studies in cardiovascular disease worldwide. Scientists all over the world, including scientists at Harvard Medical School, quote Prof Nwangwu in their research publications in this area of medical research.
Check this site for confirmation http://allafrica.com/stories/200601100520.html

Prof Abba  a nigerian created a pot-in-pot system to keep perishable items cool in desert climates, though obviously important for people without electricity as well, through the use of two pots, one inside the other, and the space in between filled with wet sand. He won the Rolex Award, and has distributed more than 91,000 of these to people in Nigeria. Here is an excellent example of selfless entrepreneurism.

I think enough is enough of all the insults nigerians get because of  a few bad eggs we have in nigeria. It is never good too generalize.  Your comments were very  insulting indeed. I THINK SEUN SHOULD DELETE YOUR THREAD.

ETIO,
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by DisGuy: 7:55pm On May 20, 2007
etio all those still fall within the 1%

PASTOR MATTHEW ASHIMOLOWO A YORUBA MAN RUNS THE LARGEST CHURCH IN THE UK.
investigated for paying himself £250,000 of church money and for his birthday £40,000 for a personal car, expensive holidays, funding real estates in florida and huge amounts wired to foreign accounts wink

churches in england are registered under charity and i think they get funds from the govt apart from not paying tax
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by etio(m): 8:43pm On May 20, 2007
IF YOU BELIEVE THAT THEN YOU CAN BELIEVE ANYTHING. THAT YOU ARE INVESTIGATED DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE GUILTY. BY THE WAY ALL THOSE GIFTS WERE GIVEN TO HIM BY MEMBERS OF HIS CHURCH. I SHOULD KNOW BECAUSE I ATTEND HIS CHURCH ONCE IN A WHILE WHEN I TRAVEL TO LONDON.

WHAT OF DONALD DUKE WHO HAS TRANSFORMED CALABAR WHERE YOU CANT EVEN THROW A RECHARGE CARD ON THE FLOOR . GOING TO CALABAR IS LIKE GOING TO ABROAD RIGHT HERE IN NIGERIA WHERE WHITE PEOPLE CAN RUN ON THE STREETS IN A MARANTON WITHOUT BEEN ATTACKED. BUILT TINALPA FIRST AFRICAN FREE TRADE ZONE. ARE YOU SAYING THAT ALL THE CITIZENS OF CALABAR WHO ARE CONTRIBUTING TO HIS SUCCESS FALL IN THE 1%. STATE YOUR FACTS BEFORE BELIEVING LIES AND PROPAGANDA.

ETIO,
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by heyma: 8:52pm On May 20, 2007
Another idiot person who needs, please read the thread and comprehend.

etio:

ONLY SOMEONE LIKE YOU WILL MAKE SUCH A STUPID STATEMENT. WHERE ARE YOUR FACTS?
Your comments were very insulting indeed. I THINK SEUN SHOULD DELETE YOUR THREAD.

ETIO,

I hope this Quote from marco74 makes some sense.

"its obvious from the various replies that we are trying 2 hide from the real issues"

Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by Nobody: 9:00pm On May 20, 2007
to Etio , go watch this 10 minute clip,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifSdBhrqhoc

I bet you have never heard of the end times greed gospel !
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by etio(m): 9:08pm On May 20, 2007
heyma ,
YOU HAVE RESULTED TO INSULTS SINCE YOU  CANT PROVE YOUR POINT.
PLEASE LIST OUT ONE BY ONE ALL THE 99% CORRUPT NIGERIANS THAT YOU KNOW. OKAY JUST LIST OUT 5 MILLION
CORRUPT NIGERIANS THAT YOU KNOW. EVEN RIBADU DOES NOT HAVE IN HIS DATABASE 5 MILLION CORRUPT  NIGERIANS.  NA WA FOR YOU  O!. PLS STOP DISTURBING US WITH YOUR PROPAGANDA

ETIO,
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by NnaNna4(m): 9:22pm On May 20, 2007
I agree with Frosbel and Etio. We Nigerians easily fall into the negative side. 99% is 100% since there is no 100% in reality. Pls believe that there are many Nigerians who are contributing immensely to the growth of the world economy. If you can find out there statistics. You will find out that hardworking Nigerians are much world over. is just that they are not easily remembered and u know bad news spread faster.

For example, someone has just mentioned that Nigerians go to Ireland seeking for freebies but he has never told us how many Nigerians are doing well in their hospitals, he didnt say if there had been any cultural, social activities in Ireland. Guys we need to adjust our thinking and perception of our fellowsand country. It will help us. Charity begins at home and then Rome wasnt built in a day. It has started and results are showing already that we will get there like other western states.
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by etio(m): 9:27pm On May 20, 2007
MR FROSBEL ,

I HAVE WATCHED YOUR CLIP. BUT THAT IS ANOTHER TOPIC  FOR ANOTHER DAY.  I AM SIMPLY SAYING THAT IT IS NOT TRUE THAT   99% OF NIGERIANS ARE CORRUPT. YOU CAN BE RICH LIKE(DONALD DUKE)   WITHOUT BEEN CORRUPT.BY THE WAY DONALD DUKE IS ONE OF THE GOVERNORS NOT BEEN INVESTIGATED BY EFCC. HOWEVER HE IS NOT POOR . I THINK THIS PROVES MY POINT.   SHOULD  I TALK OF PROF Dora Nkem Akunyili (OFR),  WHO HAS FOUGHT FAKE DRUGS TO A STANDSTILL. SHE IS WELL PAID BY OBJ  AND NOT POOR  EITHER.

ETIO,
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by heyma: 9:28pm On May 20, 2007
etio:

ONLY SOMEONE LIKE YOU WILL MAKE SUCH A STUPID STATEMENT.

etio:

heyma ,
YOU HAVE RESULTED TO INSULTS

From the above, I think someone was trying to/did insult the other.

idiot Where did I insult you MA/SIR.
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by etio(m): 9:48pm On May 20, 2007
heyma ,

You can call me idiot  and cross it all you want. JUST ANSWER MY QUESTION. LIST 5 MILLION  NIGERIANS WHO ARE CORRUPT WITH EVIDENCE TO PROVE IT. MAYBE YOU DID NOT READ MY FIRST THREAD. I LISTED  NOTABLE  NIGERIANS WHO ARE NOT CORRUPT  WITH WEBSITES TO PROVE IT. NIGERIA IS INNOCENT OF YOUR REMARKS UNTRIL PROVEN GUILTY. I CHALLENGE YOU TO LIST  JUST 5 MILLION  NIGERIANS WHO ARE NOT CORRUPT. YOU STARTED THIS TOPIC SO BE A MAN AND PROVE YOUR POINT. STOP CALLING ME IDIOT AND CROSSING IT. BE A MAN AND PROVE YOUR POINT.

ETIO,
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by etio(m): 9:50pm On May 20, 2007
I MEANT TO SAY UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by Nobody: 9:53pm On May 20, 2007
agree with you Etio - I have sisters, brothers, family etc back home in Naija and they are working hard with integrity and honesty.

God will help us and deliver our great country from stereotypes.
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by Nobody: 10:04pm On May 20, 2007
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by heyma: 10:05pm On May 20, 2007
Dude!, this thread was not made for me and you alone.

Check a certain romeo he'd tell vou why you feel insulted and check Dis Guy among many other comments on this thread, they've got the answers for you.

etio:

BE A MAN .

ETIO,

ode
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by heyma: 10:07pm On May 20, 2007
Amen. angry

frosbel:

God will help us and deliver our great country from stereotypes.

Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by donjohano(m): 10:08pm On May 20, 2007
It only takes 1% to give the remaining 99% a bad name around the world.

What is our population? 120million? 140million? Even the census was tainted.

At any rate, 1% means at least 1,000,000 corrupt Nigerians - quite enough to be going on with.
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by DisGuy: 10:13pm On May 20, 2007
BY THE WAY ALL THOSE GIFTS WERE GIVEN  TO HIM BY MEMBERS OF HIS CHURCH. I SHOULD KNOW BECAUSE I ATTEND HIS CHURCH ONCE IN A WHILE WHEN I TRAVEL TO LONDON.

the same members he told to stop their minor cleaning  jobs and become employers of labour?  grin
i remember watching him advising people to buy property under company names and through agent so when they google their name it wont belinked to the property as they did to him wink

what of pastor ayorinde that sells his 'anointed' face towel for £100  cool

pulling your legs mate dont take it too serious, theres hope
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by romeo(m): 10:17pm On May 20, 2007
heyma:

Another idiot person who needs, please read the thread and comprehend.

heyma you are the most foolish person ever to come to this forum and this is not due to your thread but because you lack argument and you only defend your things by calling unnecessary names and all because you are a big "IDIOT"
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by heyma: 10:38pm On May 20, 2007
Quote by romeo in an earlier post.
"but anyway i have gotten your point"

ewu please don't be a foolish copy cat a funny guy and shut up! please keep your peace as you had earlier.

romeo:

you lack argument

A certain boom-e (I saw her on a thread in Education or so) checkout her signature, you will like it.
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by heyma: 10:43pm On May 20, 2007
Quote by romeo in an earlier post

it's your mind that will not develop further!!

and this, from his last post.

romeo:

and you only defend your things by calling unnecessary names

Ewu
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by etio(m): 10:43pm On May 20, 2007
DIS GUY,  

I AM AN HONEST INDIVIDUAL.  IF  pastor ayorinde whom  i have heard of sells his 'anointed' face towel for £100, THEN  HE IS ONE EXAMPLE OF A CORRUPT NIGERIAN PASTOR. AS FOR MATTHEW  HE DID WELL BY TELLING PEOPLE TO DREAM BIG . THERE IS NOTHING WRONG IN IMPROVING THE STANDARD OF YOUR  LIFE AS LONG AS YOU CAN DO IT WITHOUT ROBBING PEOPLE OR 419ING PEOPLE( EXCUSE MY LANGUAGE). BY THE WAY I SOMETIMES BY SHARES IN THE NAME OF MY REGISTERED COMPANY NOT IN MY NAME FOR THE PURPOSE OF BEING ANONYMOUS. THATS WISDOM.ITS NOT EVERYBODY THAT NEEDS TO KNOW  HOW MUCH YOU HAVE. PEOPLE LIKE JAY-Z  OWN COMPANIES , BUY HOUSES  IN THE U.S IN THE NAME OF THEIR COMPANIES SO AS NOT TO DRAW ATTENTION TO THEMSELVES.  WHAT  MATTHEW TOLD HIS MEMBERS IS NOT NEW. HOLLYWOOD STARS  AND RAP ARTISTS HAVE BEING APPLYING  THIS TECHNIQUES FOR TEARS NOW. THAT WHY MOST OF ARE VERY RICH. O BOY NO JONS O! TO BE RICH LEGALLY IS NOT A BAD THING.

ETIO,
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by romeo(m): 10:44pm On May 20, 2007
heyma:

ewu please don't be a foolish copy cat a funny guy and shut up! please keep your peace as you had earlier.

still displaying your foolish mind? internet can give a lot of courage lol, i know you are the kind that never talk where people are in real life
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by donjohano(m): 10:47pm On May 20, 2007
There're some great feuds on Nairaland. This one is shaping up to be a classic!
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by heyma: 10:50pm On May 20, 2007
romeo:

still displaying your foolish mind? internet can give a lot of courage lol,

anu ofia, coward
Re: 99% Of Nigerians Are Corrupt And Dubious by romeo(m): 10:55pm On May 20, 2007
heyma:

anu ofia, coward

nne gi buru kwa anu ofia, nwa ajulu aju
and as for coward!! that's your first name

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ibori's Nephew Accuses Yorubas Of Tribalism / Nigerians Not Captured In 2016 Census Will Lose Citizenship / The Acts Of King Mumu Son Of Hari Chapter 1:1-24 (Readers Discretion Is Advised)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.