Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,140 members, 7,811,209 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:39 AM

FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders (46456 Views)

FG Bans Use Of Laterite For Road Construction / FG Bans 91 Billionaires, Vips’ Jets, Insists On N30bn Duty / FG Suspends Fuel Supply To Stations At Land Borders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by guru90: 6:58pm On Oct 14, 2019
i talk am at the early stage... He just came to finished Nigeria to Zero level....

This is strong thing ooooh

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by signz: 6:58pm On Oct 14, 2019
Harlem2:

Every journey start with a step!!

As our Leader, let him take the first step.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Area4Area: 7:00pm On Oct 14, 2019
olujastro:

Benin Republic intentionally refused to police its own borders with Nigeria for decades because smuggling of illegal goods into Nigeria constitutes about 25% of its economic GDP.
Benin Republic practices a leeching economic system where they import what they don't need(rice, cars, food, etc.), collect import duties on them and dump everything into Nigeria that has the market and purchasing power.
They also smuggle our fuel that Nigerian govt has spent billions on to subsidise for Nigerians. That's why..."no country can survive economically with a country like Benin Republic as its neighbour"

Even though our corrupt customs are helping them, the Nigerian government expects Benin Republic to do its own part first, hence the border closure.
Thanks bro, you just gave a brief summary of what we are talking about

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 14, 2019
RTSC:

The fact that it is been felt like this means most of the goods imported into Nigeria are smuggled through land borders.

So your economic theory does not follow here.
The sea ports are still open for legitimate business.

shut up! what do you know. Why is it being felt this bad. What do you know about the seaport? Do you know why most importers prefers neighboring port? Which legitimate businesses are you talking about here? Nigeria should work on itself and stop making economic blunders . Come up with fact

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Area4Area: 7:03pm On Oct 14, 2019
wirinet:

They did not ban food importation, they banned importation (smuggling ) through the land borders.
If you want to import food into the country, import it through Apapa port, Tin can Island ports, Calabar ports, or any other Nigerian sea ports.
Many still don't understand this, even foreign rice can still be imported through our ports today

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Jacob5050: 7:08pm On Oct 14, 2019
that is what we need now in this country naija we cant be giant of africa with all the natural resources and still be importing good it is time we learn from china on how they close their borders even with the amount of population that 4people naija popul
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by jaxxy(m): 7:09pm On Oct 14, 2019
I wonder what the new economic team is advising this government. I understand what they are trying to do in terms of self sufficiency bt they need to carry people along and explain their polices so people can understand and prepare.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by maasoap(m): 7:10pm On Oct 14, 2019
emmabest2000:
Una never see anything

Sheee na una the shout 4+4 abi ?

The heat of next level go burn many people like kilode grin

People who read the news thoroughly and understood the content knew that this is a good development.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Area4Area: 7:11pm On Oct 14, 2019
oldtruth:

shut up! what do you know. Why is it being felt this bad. What do you know about the seaport? Do you know why most importers prefers neighboring port? Which legitimate businesses are you talking about here? Nigeria should work on itself and stop making economic blunders . Come up with fact
Those cars, rice etc smuggled through Benin rep is because the Benin rep authorities decided to put in place a lower tariff rates on those goods and it is now cheaper for importers to get it into Benin and smuggle into Nigeria, Benin rep makes billions of dollars yearly and Nigeria loses, Nigeria is trying to increase local production and Benin is trying to destroy that effort

3 Likes

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by wirinet(m): 7:12pm On Oct 14, 2019
Wallade:

Why must importers of unbanned products use airport or seaport? Why not the border if it is cheaper after paying the import duties and levies required?

Honestly, banning importation via the borders is not a good move.
Border cannot be cheaper. You are meant to pay the same duties you pay at the ports at the borders, but custom officers connive with smugglers to short change the duties or avoid them altogether. Remember, the shipping cost is the same to Cotonuo and apapa ports, Benin government charge about 5 - 10% duties on imported items, and you transport items to border posts to pay Nigerian duties again, before you drive through the horrendous Badagry Road to get to mile 12.
Now, how is it cheaper going through the land borders?

If the items originate through Benin or west Africa, yes it would be cheaper, but not when coming from China, Thailand or India.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by dochenaj: 7:12pm On Oct 14, 2019
freeze001:
Na dia way! All they know how to do is ban! Think kwanu, iro o! Hameed is talking seaports? How many we get? What seaport? We have just one that is completely choked and inefficient. Will edible food not get rotten before they get cleared into or out of the country? Nigeria just hates to run with efficiency because the idiots at the helm of affairs will be required to think and actually use their heads so they rather create more difficulties with the archaic methods, enriching themselves further while making bogus declarations of income into state coffers! They claim reduction in smuggling of petroleum products for instance so if they don't close borders, relevant security agencies cannot do their work? What then are they getting trained and paid for?

They should simply set up more automated systems at land borders, embed strict accountability procedures, open up other seaports and provide durable infrastructure especially electricity and good transport systems to reduce the unnecessary and frustrating delays/bottlenecks! I don't know when we will have proactive, intelligent leaders in this country that are ready to think and do the work!

See them budgeting multiple billions for generators and fueling to provide electricity yet we import refined petrol, diesel and generators! Why not ban the importation of those items (generators and refined petroleum products) to boost our local production and improve electricity supply? Mad goats in power!
To the bolded, we had one in Yaradua but death took him, I'm beginning to think Nigeria is under some kind of curse.
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by maasoap(m): 7:16pm On Oct 14, 2019
oldtruth:

Of course, we do. We like cutting corners. Benin Republic doesn't consume parboiled rice, yet they import it, collect import duties on it. Sold it to Nigerian smugglers who smuggle them through our porous land borders. The same thing goes for cars. And all manners of perishable goods like tomatoes, chickens, turkeys, etc. It is high we behaved like a country that mean business, we need to stamp our feet down on this madness. I'm loving this, it's long overdue

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by wirinet(m): 7:16pm On Oct 14, 2019
Melison:

Bros northerners dey cry pass abeg,I know many die hard APC supporters that have cursed this present govt, a mudu of local rice is almost 1k so how u expect local man to survive,don't think this is a regional matter,the thing reach everywhere
Is it by force to eat rice? Many other countries don't eat rice like we do and they survive. How many rice do Britain, Germany, France, Russia, etc eat? Are they not surviving?

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by nextstep(m): 7:18pm On Oct 14, 2019
Na wao... e be like say this holiday season go hard oh...
No tomato, no rice, no jollof, no yahoo boys. cry
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by dochenaj: 7:18pm On Oct 14, 2019
Honor10:
This is a step in right direction, it will be difficult at the beginning, but this will force our local producers to step up their games, and we will have abundance with time.

I commend the president and the vice President for this.
In Nigeria there is no end in sight for hardship.

When they reduced fuel subsidy and the narrative was things would be worse before they get better, unfortunately we are still in worse if not worst territory.

Government that should be working at curbing inflation is the pilot of the jet driving us into inflation in full speed.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by surgical: 7:19pm On Oct 14, 2019
[quote author=wirinet post=83136569]
As explained earlier, goods are not banned, only smuggling is banned.

Yes, the sea ports are in bad shape. We should advocate, the opening up and use of more ports across the country ie, warri port, Portharcourt port, Calabar ports, etc.

The hardship of getting goods from Benin republic through Badagry road is harrowing. That road is in a very very bad shape.[/quote ] I don't understand what you are trying to say here except you are the authority, the report says all export and import
This policy is not a well thought out policy
You are diverting people to the port that is not efficient before and now adding additional volume to it will be an over kill
This is Buhari signature,as a military head of state,he did same without success
That is why I wonder when they talk about cabal,was this cabal there in 83/85.
This knee jerk approach will not work
What he is doing is that,i have the power and I can as well use it the way I like,no consideration for the people because he did not think he holds the power in trust for the people
I am 100℅ sure that aside the inconvenience nothing can be achieved with this policy

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Melison(m): 7:19pm On Oct 14, 2019
wirinet:

Is it by force to eat rice? Many other countries don't eat rice like we do and they survive. How many rice do Britain, Germany, France, Russia, etc eat? Are they not surviving?

Bros pikin no dey learn how to Waka at once na jeje,if these policies are to be put in place the measures are to be taken to see that the masses don't suffer that much
U dig??

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Litmus: 7:20pm On Oct 14, 2019
If you want the West and not Nigeria, then you have to accept Banning. Everything is controlled in the West and that which is not fully controlled is banned (prohibited) until authorities can get a handle on it and then exert control. One of the main subset of control is taxation.

A Niaralander once implied that I was mean-spirited for wishing Taxation and Control on Nigerians; well I do wish these things on Nigerians but only because it is what you unbeknowingly wish on yourselves when you keep on wishing to be like the West. I deserve forgiving since I never believed Nigeria was a Shithole. I loved Nigeria as it was, with all her freedoms and always argued that Nigeria had other virtues that Nigerians seemed blinded to in their incessant wish to be like the “West”.

Buhari deserves credit because his government seem to be going the right way about delivering the West to you. Remember this: in the West, they cut down all fruit trees so that there would be no free fruits for the people, thus the people have to go to a Taxed place (market) to buy them. In the West, everything is taxed. People once laughed bitterly in the West, complaining that ‘we are so taxed, all that remains is for government to Tax Water and Air. People thought that this idea was funny because in the back of their minds these were such ludicrous notions. ‘Tax water and air indeed’ they scuffed. Not long after, water was sold to them in bottles. People could not believe such a thing would last but bottled water sold to them caught on. This led them to sneers, ‘what next, are they going to sell us air?’ Not long after, pure air arrived in buyable cans then years later governments in the West did Tax air in the form of congestion charges.

Moral of story: you cannot have Western life standards without forgoing all your current Nigerian freedoms. All borders need regulating as much as possible; you all need to be ID’d, registered at birth, registered at death, and government ought to implement compulsory genetic record databases (they are fighting against compulsory Genetic Data base in the West but it will happen (we don’t have to wait for them to implement such before we follow suit). Government needs to roll out a comprehensive tax system in Nigeria to generate income for the Nation for the days of oil are numbered.

3 Likes

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Nobody: 7:21pm On Oct 14, 2019
Area4Area:
Those cars, rice etc smuggled through Benin rep is because the Benin rep authorities decided to put in place a lower tariff rates on those goods and it is now cheaper for importers to get it into Benin and smuggle into Nigeria

So, why can't Nigeria work on its own land border? They are manning it well now. Generate income through land border as well. Not crippling them. Check China, US and the rest.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by princejenks(m): 7:22pm On Oct 14, 2019
emmasege:
Does the closure extend to the northern borders? Because the last time I checked there were two Nigeria when it comes to laws.

There's a Nigeria where FRSC and police do not mount road blocks to collect toll, and neither does custom ask for duty for cars that are already within the hinterland.

And then there's a Nigeria where laws must be enforced and heavy taxations imposed.

The North continues to feed fat and oppress the south for as long as the south doesn't speak with one voice and we have some misguided Southerners shouting "Afonja" and "Biafra" on nairaland.
took the words right out of my mouth, with over a thousand porous borders located around that part of the country, this latest policy appears to affect only the south mostly

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Nobody: 7:25pm On Oct 14, 2019
maasoap:

Of course, we do. We like cutting corners. Benin Republic doesn't consume parboiled rice, yet they import it, collect import duties on it. Sold it to Nigerian smugglers who smuggle them through our porous land borders. The same thing goes for cars. And all manners of perishable goods like tomatoes, chickens, turkeys, etc. It is high we behaved like a country that mean business, we need to stamp our feet down on this madness. I'm loving this, it's long overdue

Who told you most importers are Beninese? import duties too high in the country. you guys dont get it

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by madenigga(m): 7:29pm On Oct 14, 2019
NKSH:
I Have A Feeling The Federal Government Intends To Privatize The Importation AND Exportation Of Goods At Land Borders In Nigeria.

This is the only logical reason to this madness.

Unfortunately, the masses are illiterates and too ignorant to even see it. Currently we are living as animals in our own country (suffering and scavenging to survive)
Just with this your thinking the only illiterate and ignorant one here is u
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Area4Area: 7:30pm On Oct 14, 2019
oldtruth:

So, why can't Nigeria work on its own land border? They are manning it well now. Generate income through land border as well. Not crippling them. Check China, US and the rest.
We know we have corrupt officials at the border posts but fact remains that Benin and Niger reps are officially promoting the smuggling because of what they stand to gain, billions of dollars yearly.
Nigeria wants to be self sufficient in some of those things smuggled in while these countries are doing everything to sabotage the idea

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by gbagyiza: 7:31pm On Oct 14, 2019
Sirnuel:
What exactly are they aiming to achieve??

Can someone tell these people you don't ban food importation at the end of farming season, you are supposed to do it at the beginning of the year so farmers will know what crops to cultivate.

What do I know, none of these men knows the real cost of goods in the market, all they do is sit around and make useless policies. This is going to be the worse xmas ever.

Pls, go through the write up again. Those goods r ban on land import n export. The federal government want to increase her IGR, encourage local products patronage to burst our economy n also curb insecurity in the country. A lot of people prefer to sneak in goods through land borders with the intention of escaping import n export charges and also d ability to bring in firearms n other illegal products into the country without notice. So, the government is saying you can bring in your goods but only through the appropriate channel, which is d seaport. This will make the government monitor n control things that enter n leave the country simple.

3 Likes

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by PassingShot(m): 7:32pm On Oct 14, 2019
Sirnuel:
What exactly are they aiming to achieve??

Can someone tell these people you don't ban food importation at the end of farming season, you are supposed to do it at the beginning of the year so farmers will know what crops to cultivate.

What do I know, none of these men knows the real cost of goods in the market, all they do is sit around and make useless policies. This is going to be the worse xmas ever.
Professor of economics. Yeye dey smell.
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by maasoap(m): 7:36pm On Oct 14, 2019
IceColdVeins:
will curb/reduce smuggling.........fine
Scan function.
You've been shouting farming, need I remind you that locally made rice as a case study is always double the price of the imported. Now the imported has been banned, you think the prices of local rice would go down? Check your law of supply!!! Anyways thanks God fake/non-durable aba made clothings will be glorified atlast cos nobody go fit afford the original which import duties go don almost choke to death. So poor rats will be poorer cos aba made will now be more expensive once the demand increases.

The price will definitely go down gradually once this frenzy is over. Why would it go down? Because the rise in price has nothing to do with the cost of production and it has nothing to with excess demand over supply because there is no scarcity of local rice in Nigeria at the moment.

Government did the right thing for sure but it was poorly strategized and for the wrong cause!!!
Anyways, Orun nyabo, kon shoro enikan (IF sky dey fall, na all of us head e go knack)
Body go teh u!![/quote]

What do you by "wrong cause"?
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Jaqenhghar: 7:39pm On Oct 14, 2019
anayolity:
Good move by the Nigerian Govt. even though the man dey mess up!!! Most of these West African Nations dey always feel say we no dey add any value to their economy....this time around all men go dey their dey and develop their own. . sad

Nevertheless in all sincerity , though i am not an expert in economy analysis i would love to buttress more on the fact that this could be a very huge loss to Nigeria but like i said earlier i'm not an EXPERT!!! undecided undecided
Wetin una dey add?
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 14, 2019
Area4Area:
We know we have corrupt officials at the border posts but fact remains that Benin and Niger reps are officially promoting the smuggling because of what they stand to gain, billions of dollars yearly.
Nigeria wants to be self sufficient in some of those things smuggled in while these countries are doing everything to sabotage the idea

This self sufficiency is what I don't understand. How much is the said local rice in your area? This not the right time. You do it gradually. You are killing your people and your economy with suicidal action

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by corjiakor(m): 7:45pm On Oct 14, 2019
opportunes:
The federal Government has announced a total ban on the import and export of goods at the land borders nationwide in the ongoing joint border operation, tagged: “Exercise Swift Response”. The Daily Trust reports that the operation began on August 20, 2019, involving Customs and immigration with support from Army and other security agencies.

The joint border security is being coordinated by the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) and covers the four geopolitical zones, including South-south, Southwest, North-central and the North-west. Briefing newsmen in Abuja on Monday, the Comptroller General of Customs (CGC), Col. Hameed Ali (Rtd) said: “The issue of movement of goods is not the same thing with movement of persons. “Let’s understand that all perishable items are on prohibition whether on export or import. Therefore, nobody can carry tomato to the border to import or export. So it makes it easier for us to close and ensure that all goods for now are banned from being exported or imported through our land borders. “That is to ensure that we have total control over what comes in and what we do. We are strategizing on how best the goods can be handled when we get to when this operation will relax,” he noted. Ali however, advised local dealers, who want to export or to import items, to use the seaports is the only access at present.

On when the operations, which is nearly two months will end, Ali said, “It is as long as it will take our neighbours to come to the table and agree to execute exactly what was agreed upon during former Olusegun Obasanjo’s time which is simple adherence to ECOWAS transit procedure. That has not happened.” In a response on how the operation is impinging on the fundamental rights of persons to movement, the Customs boss said, “When it comes to security, all other laws take a backseat. Nigeria must survive first then we can begin to consider your rights.”

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/breaking-fg-bans-import-export-of-all-goods-at-land-borders.html

When is Buhari going to ban the import/export of cows through our borders?

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by themanderon: 7:46pm On Oct 14, 2019
Throwing away the baby with the bathwater.
The Closure of the borders might seem like a noble act but I believe there are powerful interests being served by the closure of these borders.
The story of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by OgbeniDawodu: 7:50pm On Oct 14, 2019
oldtruth:

This self sufficiency is what I don't understand. How much is the said local rice in your area? This not the right time. You do it gradually. You are killing your people and your economy with suicidal action
Smuggled Foreign rice is a major threat to the local rice production, and it scares investors aways now investors have assurances and government backing.

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 7:50pm On Oct 14, 2019
Honor10:
This is a step in right direction, it will be difficult at the beginning, but this will force our local producers to step up their games, and we will have abundance with time.

I commend the president and the vice President for this.
Every country on earth imports one food item or the other. The government is banning importation when the local production isn't enough to satisfy the population. That's the highest class of foolishness. They're supposed to ban when local production is equal to or above local consumption, that's how smart countries do

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Buhari Decorates 3 Injured Soldiers With Purple Heart Medal (Photos) / Lagos 4th Mainland Bridge: Is This The End Of This Masterpice? / Photos: Jonathan Rides A Train

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.