Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,115 members, 7,811,135 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders (46451 Views)

FG Bans Use Of Laterite For Road Construction / FG Bans 91 Billionaires, Vips’ Jets, Insists On N30bn Duty / FG Suspends Fuel Supply To Stations At Land Borders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by OgbeniDawodu: 6:07pm On Oct 14, 2019
Truth234:
They are fighting back, Niger retaliated with a similar sanction, bans export of rice to Nigeria.

https://investorsking.com/border-closure-niger-retaliates-bans-rice-export-to-nigeria/
Nigeria wanted them to ban exportation of rice to Nigeria.
No Trade War
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Mjsghost: 6:07pm On Oct 14, 2019
Hmm
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Nobody: 6:08pm On Oct 14, 2019
hungry , abject poverty, confusion, embezzlement
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by 9jatriot(m): 6:08pm On Oct 14, 2019
It is now official, we either all go and start farming or invest in someone else to farm for us. By fire by force we must feed ourself.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Charly68: 6:09pm On Oct 14, 2019
If the ban will promote home grown goods and make life comfortable for our people,it is good the nation can not grow without sacrifice..we must shun sentiment and embrace this patriotic economic control. Streamline the movement of goods and more money will be made. The neighbouring countries are sabotaging Nigeria economy... God bless Buhari for taking this hard-line stance..that is what a good leader should do

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Empredboy(m): 6:09pm On Oct 14, 2019
deji17:
You can easily cash in on this. Many Farmers are doing it, so can you. You just need to learn how they do it. Its a simple sturvs..
where will he get loan to start rice business if he doesn't have collateral or finance? The minimum wage is 30k and a bag is 18k. So what does that mean to common man?
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by agarawu23(m): 6:09pm On Oct 14, 2019
Local farmers should take advantage.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by bonnyhope: 6:11pm On Oct 14, 2019
Please can someone explain to me in a clear terms what FG is trying to achieve from this ban on import/export of foods
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Giftexx: 6:12pm On Oct 14, 2019
More of security than economic reasons.

I pray this curbs the movement of arms and amunitions to d boko boys

5 Likes

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by ORIENTATION101: 6:13pm On Oct 14, 2019
Mcquine:

What is wrong with what he said,?

Is it not obvious to you that this present government is clueless?

Are you stupid? angry
koshi Danu
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Premiumwriter: 6:14pm On Oct 14, 2019
thatigboman:
What happened to the ECOWAS Treaty that allowed free movement of goods?
did you read the post at all?

Where's UN today when Kim Jung broke its rules for the 21st time?

ECOWAS does not and should not come first before Nigeria.

It's Nigeria first, second, third and then maybe ECOWAS

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by 35824L: 6:14pm On Oct 14, 2019
Iboes are economic saboteurs who thrive on smuggling, they won't like this news. Expect them to fight back on social media even as gully erosion wipes them out of the sad east.

4 Likes

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by OgbeniDawodu: 6:14pm On Oct 14, 2019
Empredboy:
while companies that export to countries like chad, Mali,Burkina Faso, Niger should fold up? These countries I mentioned don't have seaport. So how should they work?
Nigeria is asking for a simple commitment that they ensure any goods Nigeria deemed contraband doesn't leave their country into Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Empredboy(m): 6:15pm On Oct 14, 2019
IceColdVeins:
Can someone analyze how the closure of borders will benefit me as an individual?
Cos all I see is inflation and famine.

May I remind you the rationale for this very closure of borders? Its is almost solely to curb the issue of smuggling..... not just staple foods but everything....up from car spare parts down to your okirika clothes. We all know how exorbitant it is to clear container from the customs point due to high import duties and recalcitrant briberies. Now that aside!!

Closure of the bordering gates to curb smuggling analytically means all or most of the smuggled products come through those gates
Now this should be the logic
1. smuggling is corruption (unarguable)
2. All smuggled commodities come through the border (very arguable)
Closure of border will curb/reduce smuggling...........fine
Mitigation of corruption at the borders will curb/reduce smuggling.........fine
Since smuggling is a function of corruption in the borders (S=f(c)) Why not tackle corruption at the borders instead of subjecting the common man to more hardship without putting in place any form of ''shock-absorber''
When America wanted to boost their local steel production value that importation had almost crippled, you know what they did? they didnt even halt the importation, rather they lifted taxes on the local ores and placed huge taxes on the imported. Diplomatically, the market tilted to the side of the local steel production. Now this is how policies from informed set of parliaments look like.
I have always said this, until Nigeria starts to run the government&police like a corporate organisation(bottom-up approach), where KPIs(key performance indicators) are reviewed, operations externally audited with impending sanctions for code of conducts breachers, only then the government can function.
You've been shouting farming, need I remind you that locally made rice as a case study is always double the price of the imported. Now the imported has been banned, you think the prices of local rice would go down? Check your law of supply!!! Anyways thanks God fake/non-durable aba made clothings will be glorified atlast cos nobody go fit afford the original which import duties go don almost choke to death. So poor rats will be poorer cos aba made will now be more expensive once the demand increases.

Government did the right thing for sure but it was poorly strategized and for the wrong cause!!!
Anyways, Orun nyabo, kon shoro enikan (IF sky dey fall, na all of us head e go knack)
Body go teh u!!
Why I believe that rice smuggling from Benin rep can never stop is that the who is who in both Nigeria and Benin are the real actors in it. Foreign rice is still in the market 2 month after border closure and the rice will still be available for ever because that's the strength of Benin rep. What I wish government can do is to allow full duty like yar"dua era. This time make the duty as high as 60%. While any smuggler caught should be made to pay 120% of duty.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by OBALOLA2019(m): 6:15pm On Oct 14, 2019
This set of people want to make us a slave in our land . However, some set of illiterate will still belief is for own good.
All the good money that is coming from fuel, is the masses benefiting 10%.
Well, my submission is this , let's the masses rise up for our future.
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by statusquoante: 6:16pm On Oct 14, 2019
Excellent move... cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Od1n: 6:17pm On Oct 14, 2019
Dfuwuknj:
today's ticket is ready for pay after winning
chat me up
070-16-71-13-13
winning is guaranteed
Play with ur own money and win. Stop disturbing others

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Empredboy(m): 6:17pm On Oct 14, 2019
OgbeniDawodu:

Nigeria is asking for a simple commitment that they ensure any goods Nigeria deemed contraband doesn't leave their country into Nigeria.
what about those doing legit export and import from non sea countries?
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by OgbeniDawodu: 6:18pm On Oct 14, 2019
Empredboy:
where will he get loan to start rice business if he doesn't have collateral or finance? The minimum wage is 30k and a bag is 18k. So what does that mean to common man?
The FG through the CBN has been issuing Agricultural Loans and grants for anyone interested in rice production and milling.
Google is your best friend for more info

5 Likes

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Nobody: 6:20pm On Oct 14, 2019
ORIENTATION101:
koshi Danu

Damn shame I pray that remain this way all your life .
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by RTSC: 6:21pm On Oct 14, 2019
Buhari trying to be like Mao Zedong of China.

Does he have the intelligence and patriotism of chairman Mao?
That remains to be seen.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Nobody: 6:22pm On Oct 14, 2019
IceColdVeins:
Can someone analyze how the closure of borders will benefit me as an individual?
Cos all I see is inflation and famine.

May I remind you the rationale for this very closure of borders? Its is almost solely to curb the issue of smuggling..... not just staple foods but everything....up from car spare parts down to your okirika clothes. We all know how exorbitant it is to clear container from the customs point due to high import duties and recalcitrant briberies. Now that aside!!

Closure of the bordering gates to curb smuggling analytically means all or most of the smuggled products come through those gates
Now this should be the logic
1. smuggling is corruption (unarguable)
2. All smuggled commodities come through the border (very arguable)
Closure of border will curb/reduce smuggling...........fine
Mitigation of corruption at the borders will curb/reduce smuggling.........fine
Since smuggling is a function of corruption in the borders (S=f(c)) Why not tackle corruption at the borders instead of subjecting the common man to more hardship without putting in place any form of ''shock-absorber''
When America wanted to boost their local steel production value that importation had almost crippled, you know what they did? they didnt even halt the importation, rather they lifted taxes on the local ores and placed huge taxes on the imported. Diplomatically, the market tilted to the side of the local steel production. Now this is how policies from informed set of parliaments look like.
I have always said this, until Nigeria starts to run the government&police like a corporate organisation(bottom-up approach), where KPIs(key performance indicators) are reviewed, operations externally audited with impending sanctions for code of conducts breachers, only then the government can function.
You've been shouting farming, need I remind you that locally made rice as a case study is always double the price of the imported. Now the imported has been banned, you think the prices of local rice would go down? Check your law of supply!!! Anyways thanks God fake/non-durable aba made clothings will be glorified atlast cos nobody go fit afford the original which import duties go don almost choke to death. So poor rats will be poorer cos aba made will now be more expensive once the demand increases.

Government did the right thing for sure but it was poorly strategized and for the wrong cause!!!
Anyways, Orun nyabo, kon shoro enikan (IF sky dey fall, na all of us head e go knack)
Body go teh u!!

God bless you my brother.

No sane government will do what Buhari and his dogs are doing.

Any country that wants to increase local sales only lift taxes on local production and add taxes on imported ones. Not crippling her citizens. This act will only slaughter the economy. Many jobs have been loss and many gone bankrupt. You don't ban like a fool

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Fragility6: 6:22pm On Oct 14, 2019
Sirnuel:
What exactly are they aiming to achieve??

Can someone tell these people you don't ban food importation at the end of farming season, you are supposed to do it at the beginning of the year so farmers will know what crops to cultivate.

What do I know, none of these men knows the real cost of goods in the market, all they do is sit around and make useless policies. This is going to be the worse xmas ever.
As fuel scarcity no cum dey wori 4 xmas na food dem wan use now. During dier sala period,fuel n foodstuffs no dey increase o.
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by moderatedguy: 6:23pm On Oct 14, 2019
anayolity:
Good move by the Nigerian Govt. even though the man dey mess up!!! Most of these West African Nations dey always feel say we no dey add any value to their economy....this time around all men go dey their dey and develop their own. . sad

Nevertheless in all sincerity , though i am not an expert in economy analysis i would love to buttress more on the fact that this could be a very huge loss to Nigeria but like i said earlier i'm not an EXPERT!!! undecided undecided
Contradiction
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by OgbeniDawodu: 6:26pm On Oct 14, 2019
Empredboy:
what about those doing legit export and import from non sea countries?
There is easy passage for goods not deemed contraband in Nigeria as long as u go about the legit way
N.B: The border closure is effective to goods like Rice, PMS, Tokunbo Cars, Vegetable oil etc. to curb smuggling.
You can consult the Nigerian Custom Handbook

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Mac2016(m): 6:26pm On Oct 14, 2019
opportunes:
The federal Government has announced a total ban on the import and export of goods at the land borders nationwide in the ongoing joint border operation, tagged: “Exercise Swift Response”. The Daily Trust reports that the operation began on August 20, 2019, involving Customs and immigration with support from Army and other security agencies.

The joint border security is being coordinated by the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) and covers the four geopolitical zones, including South-south, Southwest, North-central and the North-west. Briefing newsmen in Abuja on Monday, the Comptroller General of Customs (CGC), Col. Hameed Ali (Rtd) said: “The issue of movement of goods is not the same thing with movement of persons. “Let’s understand that all perishable items are on prohibition whether on export or import. Therefore, nobody can carry tomato to the border to import or export. So it makes it easier for us to close and ensure that[b] all goods for now are banned from being exported or imported through our land borders. [/b]“That is to ensure that we have total control over what comes in and what we do. We are strategizing on how best the goods can be handled when we get to when this operation will relax,” he noted. Ali however, advised local dealers, who want to export or to import items, to use the seaports is the only access at present.

On when the operations, which is nearly two months will end, Ali said, “It is as long as it will take our neighbours to come to the table and agree to execute exactly what was agreed upon during former Olusegun Obasanjo’s time which is simple adherence to ECOWAS transit procedure. That has not happened.” In a response on how the operation is impinging on the fundamental rights of persons to movement, the Customs boss said, “When it comes to security, all other laws take a backseat. Nigeria must survive first then we can begin to consider your rights.”

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/breaking-fg-bans-import-export-of-all-goods-at-land-borders.html
Ali seems perplexed and in ultimate confusion.
Transit of good banned. Then suddenly jumped to security.
What's the correlation?
Buharism is what Nigerians are wallowing in till 2023
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Biodun556(m): 6:26pm On Oct 14, 2019
Truth234:
They are fighting back, Niger retaliated with a similar sanction, bans export of rice to Nigeria.

https://investorsking.com/border-closure-niger-retaliates-bans-rice-export-to-nigeria/

That's not retaliation.
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by RTSC: 6:26pm On Oct 14, 2019
oldtruth:

God bless you my brother.

No sane government will do what Buhari and his dogs are doing.

Any country that wants to increase local sales only lift taxes on local production and add taxes on imported ones. Not crippling her citizens. This act will only slaughter the economy. Many jobs have been loss and many gone bankrupt. You don't ban like a fool
The fact that it is been felt like this means most of the goods imported into Nigeria are smuggled through land borders.

So your economic theory does not follow here.
The sea ports are still open for legitimate business.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

IPOB Begs Urhobos/Isokos To Observe May 30th Sit At Home Biafran Day / Buhari Presents Nigeria’s Visa Policy 2020 / Sanwo-Olu Commissions Yaba Bus Terminal (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.