Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,224 members, 7,811,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders (46464 Views)

FG Bans Use Of Laterite For Road Construction / FG Bans 91 Billionaires, Vips’ Jets, Insists On N30bn Duty / FG Suspends Fuel Supply To Stations At Land Borders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Papertrail11(m): 2:20am On Oct 15, 2019
Jacob5050:
that is what we need now in this country naija we cant be giant of africa with all the natural resources and still be importing good it is time we learn from china on how they close their borders even with the amount of population that 4people naija popul

Yes, as much as we would love to be self reliant. We need to adopt common sense before we shoot ourselves in the foot.

All Nigeria rice farmers output cant feed 200m plus Nigerians for 2months so rather tbat outrightly ban we can go full blast on culivating tripple capacity as against imports and give a future date where rice importation would be totally outlawed.

I think we can learn a cue from how Obansanjo phased out juice imports in 2005 and the strategies he put in place.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Papertrail11(m): 2:21am On Oct 15, 2019
jaxxy:
I wonder what the new economic team is advising this government. I understand what they are trying to do in terms of self sufficiency bt they need to carry people along and explain their polices so people can understand and prepare.

My worry is that it may backfire rice 8k years ago is now 27k

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Papertrail11(m): 2:23am On Oct 15, 2019
Area4Area:
Those cars, rice etc smuggled through Benin rep is because the Benin rep authorities decided to put in place a lower tariff rates on those goods and it is now cheaper for importers to get it into Benin and smuggle into Nigeria, Benin rep makes billions of dollars yearly and Nigeria loses, Nigeria is trying to increase local production and Benin is trying to destroy that effort

Yes, we get the arguement but why cant Nigerian customs charge a reasonable modest rate for shipping

Are you aware a new toyota corolla is now 20m as againt 5-8m it was years ago.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by rockyh(m): 3:49am On Oct 15, 2019
anayolity:
Good move by the Nigerian Govt. even though the man dey mess up!!! Most of these West African Nations dey always feel say we no dey add any value to their economy....this time around all men go dey their dey and develop their own. . sad

Nevertheless in all sincerity , though i am not an expert in economy analysis i would love to buttress more on the fact that this could be a very huge loss to Nigeria but like i said earlier i'm not an EXPERT!!! undecided undecided
no sane govt with a good economic team will try such move whst they should have done as a government was to buy these foods being smuggled from neighboring countries directly hsve a warehouse n sell to the citizens that way u have curbed the smugglers n same time reducing the cost effect on ur citizens pending when u are self sufficient
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by rockyh(m): 3:55am On Oct 15, 2019
Honor10:
This is a step in right direction, it will be difficult at the beginning, but this will force our local producers to step up their games, and we will have abundance with time.

I commend the president and the vice President for this.
this is like a father who has no food at home n doesn't want his kids to go outside to buy food to sustain them. Commendation gone wrong truth is that we are not yet on that level of self sufficient In food production

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by johnad3(m): 6:46am On Oct 15, 2019
No be all of you weh here voted for them ni? nah sai baba lo le seh ooo, seh he don do am now abi? una never no anything,, you people weh bi dem don sell you out finish
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Empredboy(m): 6:52am On Oct 15, 2019
oldtruth:

So sorry about that. Maybe you just have to take it down to Lagos or wherever you can get buyer for it rather than losing out completely.
that's what we are doing just that due to the bad roads we get alot of crack eggs and it time consuming
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by ontolegit(m): 7:15am On Oct 15, 2019
PureGoldh:
We don hear....so far say life dey....We go survive

Meanwhile... If you need Pure Original HOney.. Call or whatsapp 0 8 1016 66771
If you need pure original honey from the mambilla plateau
Call/text 07037986098
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by OgbeniDawodu: 7:41am On Oct 15, 2019
peek:
My own question is: Does this affect Dangote?
Is Dangote an importer of Rice
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by OgbeniDawodu: 7:47am On Oct 15, 2019
Empredboy:
but the bad thing is that the who is who in Benin rep and nigeria are the ones importing. It will be very difficult for Benin to stop importing into their port because they know it will find its way into Nigeria market. That's why foreign rice is still in the market since 2 month of border closure
Nigerian Borders is porous because of the many small border towns but the influx of smuggled foriegn rice into the country has been reduced to the barest minimum.
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Empredboy(m): 7:52am On Oct 15, 2019
OgbeniDawodu:

Nigerian Borders is porous because of the many small border towns but the influx of smuggled foriegn rice into the country has been reduced to the barest minimum.
but why foreign rice still dominating in the market after 2 months of closure? Na now money for the boys on smuggling just started. Don't let anyone deceive you that foreign rice is not entering. I bet you if local rice should drop to 10k foreign rice will fall to 12k or less. That's to show you the level of corruption in Nigeria
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by MusaChukwudi: 8:06am On Oct 15, 2019
PerfectlyPerfect:

We're not producing enough to feed ourselves, that's just the plain fact. If hunger kills everybody, I'm sure it'll kill people you love too

That's fine by me. If we cannot or refuse to develop our farms to feed ourselves despite having all the agricultural resources at our disposal then let us all DIE of HUNGER!
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by maasoap(m): 8:24am On Oct 15, 2019
oldtruth:

Who told you most importers are Beninese?

Did I say that? No. Nigerians are the importers that smuggle items in from the neighbouring countries

import duties too high in the country. you guys dont get it

The government should review it. We have to call on them. Smuggling affects you and me in the long run. How? Nobody would be inclined to produce locally, no one would be motivated to create jobs when imported items fill everywhere in the market
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Slurity(m): 9:38am On Oct 15, 2019
Sirnuel:
What exactly are they aiming to achieve??

Can someone tell these people you don't ban food importation at the end of farming season, you are supposed to do it at the beginning of the year so farmers will know what crops to cultivate.

What do I know, none of these men knows the real cost of goods in the market, all they do is sit around and make useless policies. This is going to be the worse xmas ever.
You are not a farmer and its very obvious in your conclusion. There is always different season for different crop. we are currently plant some crops and we are harvesting some. it depend on what you plant and where you are using to plant
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by EvenBlogger: 10:07am On Oct 15, 2019
Rain go beat that rice and FG will start preaching Sermons now
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Raypawer(m): 2:58pm On Oct 15, 2019
Use your brain and start a business... this is an opportunity for Nigerians to blossom, think about all the staples we would have bought from neighbouring countries, and fill in the missing gap

IceColdVeins:
Can someone analyze how the closure of borders will benefit me as an individual?
Cos all I see is inflation and famine.

May I remind you the rationale for this very closure of borders? Its is almost solely to curb the issue of smuggling..... not just staple foods but everything....up from car spare parts down to your okirika clothes. We all know how exorbitant it is to clear container from the customs point due to high import duties and recalcitrant briberies. Now that aside!!

Closure of the bordering gates to curb smuggling analytically means all or most of the smuggled products come through those gates
Now this should be the logic
1. smuggling is corruption (unarguable)
2. All smuggled commodities come through the border (very arguable)
Closure of border will curb/reduce smuggling...........fine
Mitigation of corruption at the borders will curb/reduce smuggling.........fine
Since smuggling is a function of corruption in the borders (S=f(c)) Why not tackle corruption at the borders instead of subjecting the common man to more hardship without putting in place any form of ''shock-absorber''
When America wanted to boost their local steel production value that importation had almost crippled, you know what they did? they didnt even halt the importation, rather they lifted taxes on the local ores and placed huge taxes on the imported. Diplomatically, the market tilted to the side of the local steel production. Now this is how policies from informed set of parliaments look like.
I have always said this, until Nigeria starts to run the government&police like a corporate organisation(bottom-up approach), where KPIs(key performance indicators) are reviewed, operations externally audited with impending sanctions for code of conducts breachers, only then the government can function.
You've been shouting farming, need I remind you that locally made rice as a case study is always double the price of the imported. Now the imported has been banned, you think the prices of local rice would go down? Check your law of supply!!! Anyways thanks God fake/non-durable aba made clothings will be glorified atlast cos nobody go fit afford the original which import duties go don almost choke to death. So poor rats will be poorer cos aba made will now be more expensive once the demand increases.

Government did the right thing for sure but it was poorly strategized and for the wrong cause!!!
Anyways, Orun nyabo, kon shoro enikan (IF sky dey fall, na all of us head e go knack)
Body go teh u!!

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by IceColdVeins(m): 3:57pm On Oct 15, 2019
Your brain is the one that needs hard reset! I never said I was unemployed, Mr. Business administrator!!
Raypawer:
Use your brain and start a business... this is an opportunity for Nigerians to blossom, think about all the staples we would have bought from neighbouring countries, and fill in the missing gap

Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Wallade(m): 5:31pm On Oct 15, 2019
wirinet:

Border cannot be cheaper. You are meant to pay the same duties you pay at the ports at the borders, but custom officers connive with smugglers to short change the duties or avoid them altogether. Remember, the shipping cost is the same to Cotonuo and apapa ports, Benin government charge about 5 - 10% duties on imported items, and you transport items to border posts to pay Nigerian duties again, before you drive through the horrendous Badagry Road to get to mile 12.
Now, how is it cheaper going through the land borders?

If the items originate through Benin or west Africa, yes it would be cheaper, but not when coming from China, Thailand or India.

Port charges in Nigeria are higher than port charges in our neighbouring countries.
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by Tiklash: 1:52pm On Oct 16, 2019
A good starting point��
Re: FG Bans Import, Export Of All Goods At Land Borders by saviola21(m): 10:37pm On Jan 27, 2020
saviola21:
What is the main reason for banding of good from FG? nawaoooh this Xmas things will be costly.
AHH! Why You Have To Stop Drinking Garri - Medical Expert Issues Warning

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Suleiman Aliyu, Corper With Leadership Newspaper Shot At Shiite Protest (photo) / List Of Outrageous Pensions Of Ex- Governors / Nigeria Will Disintegrate Before Buhari's Very Eyes - Femi Fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.