Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,200 members, 7,815,187 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament (29636 Views)

Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets / 'Border Closure Exposes Nigeria's Deficiency In Local Rice Production' / Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Skyfornia(m): 7:55am On Oct 16, 2019
tiredoflife:

Oga our stable foods were never rice
Rice was introduced by the British into our menu
We had cassava as our stable food
Rice started coming into our food in the early 50s

Bros I cannot argue with you cause I'm not yet tired of life.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Ferdinandu(m): 7:56am On Oct 16, 2019
Eaglefine:
Let them open border for other importation.
My friend that trades on shoes and bags from Cotonu is suffering since two months ago. There's no way to bring back her already bought goods. And her money is hanging for just no cause.

Let her go to Aba and source for locally produced shoes

3 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by rotile247(m): 7:57am On Oct 16, 2019
backnbeta:
The Millers should be more conscious of the effect of poorly processed rice, bi ko! Because we want to eat naija to grow the economy, we must now eat stone and dust particles?
Someone needs to watch over the consumers here, please! Besides, the local rice seem to be unreasonably priced compared to the stone-free foreign rice undecided

Thanks to Igbemo rice from Ekiti, that's what I've been eating long before the border closure undecided

Wao! Igbemo rice! You made me remember my schooling days in Ado-Ekiti while staying with family friends from Igbemo Ekiti. Their rice is top-notch and stone free. What is government doing about quality and value for money on locally produced products. Government needs to assist these farmers in their processing and storage
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by VirginSearcher(m): 7:58am On Oct 16, 2019
You all should seat and watch this country torn into pieces angry
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Basher8583: 7:58am On Oct 16, 2019
ijustdey:

https://www.independent.ng/border-closure-sellers-lament-as-nigerians-shun-local-rice/

OP stop crying like a spoilt child. Hunger never hammer thier head yet. They will soon learn to love local rice.
Besides if you like rice reach just kukuma relocate to Benin Republic and go and eat foreign rice to your fullest since rice is your own problem
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Cmeo(m): 7:58am On Oct 16, 2019
No body should force anyone to eat Nigeria rice. Anyone who want to eat foreign rice should be ready to move to country where they import such.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by deolurexy1(m): 7:59am On Oct 16, 2019
Skyfornia:
The border remain closed....Our forefathers ate local rice and lived healthy.

Which useless forefathers ate local rice
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by 7lives: 7:59am On Oct 16, 2019
MetaPhysical:
Take that rice across border, rebag it into sacks in chinese lettering, bring it back in and double the price.....sit down watch as we go rush am.

I love Nigeria

There is this particular rice we call wewe, meaning small rice, the sellers called it agric.
We all thought the rice was an imported rice, the rice is in the market now, na Nigerian rice the OLORIBURUKU smugglers, been dey pack in foreign bags, dey sell as agric rice.
That rice is stone free and sweet die.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Skyfornia(m): 8:00am On Oct 16, 2019
deolurexy1:

Which useless forefathers ate local rice

Yours inclusive
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by VirginSearcher(m): 8:02am On Oct 16, 2019
Skyfornia:

Yours inclusive
If you don't know what to say, pls shut up!
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by 7lives: 8:02am On Oct 16, 2019
ogbuefi677:

looks like my Abakaliki ppl have gone far in the processing of our own local rice cos I've never seen or tasted stone in ours since I became an adult.
Next time you see the woman ,tell her to go to d nearest mill and destone d rice again with a destoning machine.

Your people are very happy with this development, they are enjoying it.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by kotv: 8:03am On Oct 16, 2019
tomakint:
The madness in the land is unparallel at least this i can confirm almost every time. What is the point of closing border to a neater, stone-free and better parboiled foreign rice when your have not perfected the art of producing quality rice and in larger volume only for a useless and lying government to just rush and close up the borders in their usual mumu way of saying "we want to encourage local patronage of our local rice production" when our annual consumption rates of over 7 million metric tonnes far supercedes our annual production rates of about 4.7 million metric tonnes. The question is, who still practise "protectionism policy in this modern age"?

That's Buhari presidency for you. What do you expect when dullards are in control. We go suffer am until someone with sense without a cabal takes over..

4 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by AgnesIkpunnu2(f): 8:04am On Oct 16, 2019
[s]
post=83178476:

Here is another sensible youth on this forum.
A fineguy with sense! wink
A drastic change requires a drastic solution.
NO PAIN. NO GAIN!

Slow and steady we will get to a New and better Nigeria.
God bless you.
God bless Nigeria.
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by 9jaRealist: 8:05am On Oct 16, 2019
Skyfornia:
Ferdinandu:
The border must remain closed, if you want to eat foreign rice please relocate to Ghana. Ọ gịnị dị. Nigerians doesn't have an iota of patriotism in their blood. Everybody is bent on killing this economy yet Everybody is blaming the President as the sole cause of the problem. Buhari may not be doing well but I support him 100% on this
Cmeo:
No body should force anyone to eat Nigeria rice. Anyone who want to eat foreign rice should be ready to move to country where they import such.

But the land borders remaining closed does not mean foreign rice imports are prohibited...
It merely means that the RICHER rent-seekers who can import via sea will enjoy the MONOPOLY to import (while small traders lose out).
>

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by adenigga(m): 8:05am On Oct 16, 2019
Skyfornia:

Even they live longer than all this consumers of foreign products.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Asquare84(m): 8:05am On Oct 16, 2019
carbon1224:
The stone is actually the problem with the Nigerian rice if it’s stone free then it’s okay

i have seen several local rice in Abuja that does not have stone particles and you cannot differentiate between local and foreign rice
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by checkedout: 8:05am On Oct 16, 2019
MetaPhysical:
Take that rice across border, rebag it into sacks in chinese lettering, bring it back in and double the price.....sit down watch as we go rush am.

I love Nigeria

I can tell you that that has been going on at Alaba Rago in Lagos for long as far as I know. I am telling you what I saw with my eyes several times.

We are our problem

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by ArticleBeast: 8:06am On Oct 16, 2019
mildflame:

Don't worry hungry Neva catch u yet
I don waka leave una for una shithole
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Skyfornia(m): 8:06am On Oct 16, 2019
VirginSearcher:

If you don't know what to say, pls shut up!

Continue searching for a virgin you want to use for sacrifice.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by cardoctor(m): 8:06am On Oct 16, 2019
Crunching that STONE is the worst experience one would have with the local rice. Those STONES ehnnn.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by kolaaderin: 8:07am On Oct 16, 2019
There are many local stone free rice in the market, some greedy market people will opt for cheaper 8k per bag rice and still wanna sell at 18k better stone free rice may be around 12 to 14k for a bag but the market people keep raping Nigerian off there money.

It's a matter of time, the better brands will stand out and market will be forced to ask for the brands and those with stone "if there is any because I personally have not come about local rice with stones" will also be forced to upgrade their product if they wanna share in the market.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by darelar(m): 8:07am On Oct 16, 2019
I wonder how people were complaining that there's stones in Nigeria rice. It's the fourth bags I and my family is eating now.this particular product is called Umza, I bought the last bag towards ending of last month at the rate of 14,500. It was between13k to 14k before but they said because they've closed boarder and the demands is very high. Some we're selling between 14500 to 16500 in Bayelsa State. You'll enjoy it more when you cook jollof or fried rice with it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Ayodee2(m): 8:08am On Oct 16, 2019
surgical:
who still practice protectionism in this modern age ...... Buhari

Bro just type Trump protectionism policy in your browser and you will understand better.

there's nothing like free trade anywhere in the world except in economics textbooks.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Skyfornia(m): 8:08am On Oct 16, 2019
adenigga:

Even they live longer than all this consumers of foreign products.

Exactly....leave dem make dem dey find foreign rice. Most black men don't appreciate their resources... inferiority complex.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by maybanks: 8:08am On Oct 16, 2019
seunfly:

That is not true, their are many local rice that is far better than foreign rice, olam, bull, coscharis etc.

People are just too ignorant including you and many are just too negative.
For me I v stopped eating foreign rice for more than 4 years now, I only eat olam's brand mama's choice or pride.

You forgot to mention UMZA rice, I have enjoying that rice for the past 3months now. Its far far better than those foreign rice.

3 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Gerald454: 8:09am On Oct 16, 2019
carbon1224:
The stone is actually the problem with the Nigerian rice if it’s stone free then it’s okay

Which stone Since 2015 i have been eating local rice. Me no see stone at all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Giftexx: 8:10am On Oct 16, 2019
Local rice used to be #9500 per bag.

Why is it now #20,800?
Are we importing local rice?

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Junior66(m): 8:11am On Oct 16, 2019
Aonkuuse:
And these people that are rejecting local rice are the ones that will be insulting government everyday for not establishing Industries for them as if, if government does that they will patronize it. Most of packaged rice here is free of stones I don't know where the complaint is from. All my life I've been eating local rice but I think I'm okay with that
The ones I have been eating are not free from stones please. Speak for yourself.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by NwaliE01: 8:12am On Oct 16, 2019
Aonkuuse:
And these people that are rejecting local rice are the ones that will be insulting government everyday for not establishing Industries for them as if, if government does that they will patronize it. Most of packaged rice here is free of stones I don't know where the complaint is from. All my life I've been eating local rice but I think I'm okay with that

My brother local rice jumped up to over 20k because price of foreign rice increased.
Why didn't the price of local remain stable until its demand incŕease.
Government didn't do well on the price stability in the market.
Me I can't use my hard earn money to buy local rice with 2k different from the foriegn rice.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Skyfornia(m): 8:13am On Oct 16, 2019
9jaRealist:

But the land borders remaining closed does not mean foreign rice imports are prohibited...
It merely means that the RICHER rent-seekers who can import via sea will enjoy the MONOPOLY to import (while small traders lose out).
>

That would be sorted out too very soon...but currently the major importers are from land borders.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Tenses: 8:15am On Oct 16, 2019
All these propaganda against local rice consumption. One will think it's only rice that is being affected by the border closure.

I have a rice processing company and I can tell u that the order for my local rice has skyrocketed to over 1000%. Forget all these propaganda. Farmers are reaping the fruit of their labour for the very first time. Just wait and watch how people will rush into rice cultivation next planting season. Nigerians are always quick to jump into the next big thing, this will lead to crash in rice price from next year.

Order for your classic long grain Abakaliki rice from Mikogo Foods. Contact Mikogo Foods at 08081905662

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Nobody: 8:15am On Oct 16, 2019
Aonkuuse:

Small small

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Somebody Must Be Lying About Dasuki - Vanguard / Senate Rejects N130 Daily Feeding For Prison Inmates / Buhari ‘Never Knows Anything’ - Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.