Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament (29651 Views)

Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets / 'Border Closure Exposes Nigeria's Deficiency In Local Rice Production' / Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by King44(m): 11:16am On Oct 16, 2019
Esseite:
The millers should put more effort in removing stones from the rice...

the millers should put more effort, the government to do something about it even the local rice I bought yesterday I need to stress myself to pick before cooking but it's cheaper a paint of foreign sells for 2400 a paint if local sells 1500 if the could work on removing the stone n parboil properly we are good to consume na beg we beg we nor fumble
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by porka: 11:20am On Oct 16, 2019
Hamachi:
My dad lives in Cotonou, the border closure will hurt Nigerian traders more than our west African brethren, over 85% of motor spare parts, electronics and electrical items sold in west Africa are sourced from Nigerian markets, let our leaders think about that too.

Nigeria's leaders don't understand Nigeria's (non-oil economy). By simply "shutting our land borders", they'll be giving China an advantage over Nigeria in West Africa - with respect to trade.

Some are so dense, they won't understand this - even if you explain it to them.

Even the Oil Economy, dem no sabi. The Trans-siberian Pipeline project gave Russia a huge diplomatic advantage in Europe. It never occurred to Nigeria to build Pipelines all the way to Senegal & use Cheap Oil as a soft Power in West Africa. We left our EEZ for France to exploit.

It is the devil-may-care attitude that is even worrying. It seems they are prepared to burn down the whole house in order to kill a rat just to prove a non-existent point of "local rice production".

By the time the whole thing unravel they will blame someone or something else, but many businesses would have been forced into bankruptcy.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by portplus: 11:20am On Oct 16, 2019
this report is biased and the aim is to favour foreign rice importers.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Immarocks(f): 11:21am On Oct 16, 2019
there are very good local rice here in the middle belt and north,rice from kebbi,jigawa and benue are very good and stone free.when you go to buy the have two types the one with stone and the one without stone except if you buy the cheap one with stones Or The person selling only has the one with stone.I love local rice
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Immarocks(f): 11:25am On Oct 16, 2019
Philinho:
Local Rice price almost equivalent to foreign Rice.What an irony

a bag foreign rice has 30-32 bails while the local rice has up to 50 bails depending on you location....
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by portplus: 11:27am On Oct 16, 2019
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by King44(m): 11:29am On Oct 16, 2019
mildflame:

Don't worry hungry Neva catch u yet
when hunger hook am he go begin study how them they pick stones from rice, that aside they should work on removing the stones
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by King44(m): 11:33am On Oct 16, 2019
porka:

It is the devil-may-care attitude that is even worrying. It seems they are prepared to burn down the whole house in order to kill a rat just to prove a non-existent point of "local rice production".

By the time the whole thing unravel they will blame someone or something else, but many businesses would have been forced into bankruptcy.

alaye this policy is working now the local rice is available in the market no one would deny the issue with it is the quality if the gvt us serious it will be fixed besides industries should spring up in SW especially kwara cos the stones n colour of some type of local rice ehn nor be here but it taste good
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Michael11stock(m): 11:41am On Oct 16, 2019
Hunger never hold them, when hunger set you don't have to beg them to buy local rice just watch
ijustdey:

https://www.independent.ng/border-closure-sellers-lament-as-nigerians-shun-local-rice/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by mindtricks: 11:46am On Oct 16, 2019
Skyfornia:
The border remain closed....Our forefathers ate local rice and lived healthy.

It shouldn't be rocket science to make available to the consumers destoned local rice, not even in this century.
If the finished product (rice) is actually in the right finished form (destoned), I wonder why there naturally won't be buying pressure on the local rice, which many even prefer.
It's useless putting the cart before the horse.
Those who run the system who where the issue lies, whether they truly choose to fix it is a different story entirely.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 16, 2019
No stone in Ebonyi rice though
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by porka: 12:15pm On Oct 16, 2019
Ayodee2:

Bro just type Trump protectionism policy in your browser and you will understand better.

there's nothing like free trade anywhere in the world except in economics textbooks.

You are mixing issues.

Trump's trade war is principally centered on unfair trade practices of America's trading partners. China in particular placed restrictions on American agricultural products in the form of higher tariffs than America did on Chinese products.

Mind you, many of these products were hitherto produced in America (and other western countries) by American (and western) workers until the companies shipped their production lines abroad in the wake of higher labour costs in the west.

Trump is protecting economic sectors where America already has comparative advantages. These sectors are already existing and thriving.

Just like it took a generation of American economic shift to begin "in-sourcing" (a reverse of decades of outsourcing), it would take another generation of Americans to reverse this Trump's efforts.

Remember, what Trump is doing is imposing TARIFFS on foreign goods. You would still get to buy the products in the market but at higher costs. Because consumers will react to increase in price, Chinese manufacturers will be hard hit by low demand and these will have a devastating impart on their margin. Now, the implications include relocating the companies to countries outside China and even back to America as the case may be.

Nigeria's case is experimental with only wishful thinking and heavy loan from the CBN to farmers as motivations behind this rice thing. It won't take a new government 2 minutes in office to direct its energy and Nigeria's petrol dollars on another "political crop".

Babangida banned WHEAT importation in the '80s. Obasanjo dissipated so much energy of CASSAVA then that some people sold their possessions and took up bank loans to start cassava farming that they were told would replace crude oil in revenue.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by carbon1224(m): 12:18pm On Oct 16, 2019
amaechi1:

Which stone? You believe this report?

It’s not about the report but I have tasted it and cooked it as well.na until stone kill person.let them improve on production and nobody will complain about it.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by EnaibeSam: 12:21pm On Oct 16, 2019
But most of the local rice we buy here (in Warri) are stone free, and very neat just like the foreign ones.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by carbon1224(m): 12:23pm On Oct 16, 2019
delpee:

Buy the milled stone free local brands.

If you know where everybody can get then it would solve the problem but sincerely the stone is a big problem
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by hollowpot15684(m): 12:27pm On Oct 16, 2019
tomakint:
The madness in the land is unparallel at least this i can confirm almost every time. What is the point of closing border to a neater, stone-free and better parboiled foreign rice when your have not perfected the art of producing quality rice and in larger volume only for a useless and lying government to just rush and close up the borders in their usual mumu way of saying "we want to encourage local patronage of our local rice production" when our annual consumption rates of over 7 million metric tonnes far supercedes our annual production rates of about 4.7 million metric tonnes. The question is, who still practise "protectionism policy in this modern age"?

Gosh! What do you even know about policy making and implementation? I can tell by the words you spewed here, and the answer is NOTHING.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Wiseandtrue(f): 12:38pm On Oct 16, 2019
Skyfornia:
The border remain closed....Our forefathers ate local rice and lived healthy.
It was their choice!!! Where's the freedom so much talked about?
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by porka: 12:42pm On Oct 16, 2019
King44:
alaye this policy is working now the local rice is available in the market no one would deny the issue with it is the quality if the gvt us serious it will be fixed besides industries should spring up in SW especially kwara cos the stones n colour of some type of local rice ehn nor be here but it taste good

Your own way of assessing working policies is different from mine, with all due respect.

Local rice has been available in the market for eons - especially "Tapa rice" from Lafiaji/Pategi axis of Kwara with the same "stone quality".

What is currently the subject of debate is whether the local rice can replace foreign rice in fair competition without the government bringing down the roof indefinitely.

While you look at "industries springing up" from a passersby position, I look at scientific performance metrics. Anybody can access the CBN loan to "spring up" any industries anywhere, but when the time comes to service the loan and also make repayments, the story may not be the same.

It was not long ago that the CBN was appealing to "anchor borrowers" to repay their loans for others to benefit. As at February this year, repayments was just about 15% according to data from the CBN. Yet, they had proclaimed the success of the policy long before then.

Cassava was everywhere in Nigeria about a decade ago.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by delpee(f): 12:49pm On Oct 16, 2019
carbon1224:

If you know where everybody can get then it would solve the problem but sincerely the stone is a big problem

Elephant, Big Bull and Mama Pride are available in some big stores like Spar and the markets. I passed by Simpson Rd (Sura) on the Island recently and I saw the last two on display. Certainly you'll get them in some other local markets too.

Elephant Group is in Ikeja.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by maasoap(m): 12:54pm On Oct 16, 2019
9jaRealist:

Because, no thanks to your government’s ill-advised border closure...

There is no ill-advice in this, it was long overdue. I even pray that there won't be policy reversal this time around because Nigerian government is known policy somersaults over the years. If we can stick to this, we will get it right.

There’s fewer rice in the market, and also there are no alternatives (ie, foreign rice).

I won't agree with you because there is still enough rice in the market. I haven't heard of anyone who went to the market to buy rice but unable to do so due to scarcity. It is greed in us as Nigerians. There was agricultural board in the olden days that normally determined the price of agricultural produce, may be we need that again since that's the only way to do with greed and corrupt way of life of many Nigerians
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by maasoap(m): 1:12pm On Oct 16, 2019
porka:

Your own way of assessing working policies is different from mine, with all due respect.

Local rice has been available in the market for eons - especially "Tapa rice" from Lafiaji/Pategi axis of Kwara with the same "stone quality".

What is currently the subject of debate is whether the local rice can replace foreign rice in fair competition without the government bringing down the roof indefinitely.

While you look at "industries springing up" from a passersby position, I look at scientific performance metrics. Anybody can access the CBN loan to "spring up" any industries anywhere, but when the time comes to service the loan and also make repayments, the story may not be the same.

It was not long ago that the CBN was appealing to "anchor borrowers" to repay their loans for others to benefit. As at February this year, repayments was just about 15% according to data from the CBN. Yet, they had proclaimed the success of the policy long before then.

When they gave loan out, they should have put effective mechanism in place to ensure smooth recovery of the loans. You know Nigerians now with loans from the government.

Cassava was everywhere in Nigeria about a decade ago.

When farmers produce but there is no market to absorb their harvest, they would be definitely discouraged. That was what happened to cassava farmers. Obasanjo encouraged cassava farming but failed to help in the area of market. Many cassava farmers incurred huge debts. If farmers incur debts due to inability to sell their produce, they won't go back to farm or to that crop or animal. And this is exactly what Buhari is trying to prevent. When you encouraged farmers to plant rice by giving them loan and seeds and other supports, you need to do something about the market for it too. With our incessant appetites for foreign products, local rice won't thrive when everyone is buying imported rice even when we do consume expired foreign rice most of the time.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by mildflame: 1:25pm On Oct 16, 2019
King44:
when hunger hook am he go begin study how them they pick stones from rice, that aside they should work on removing the stones
There are two types of local rice, the one that has been de-stoned and the yet to be de-stoned
Fact is people don't know much about our local rice

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Amarisa(f): 1:26pm On Oct 16, 2019
carbon1224:
The stone is actually the problem with the Nigerian rice if it’s stone free then it’s okay

True!!!... They should look for how to de-stone the rice..
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by sunnyprof: 2:05pm On Oct 16, 2019
I have experienced more than two perboiled made in Nigeria rice....one from Olam Rice, Mama something ....was the brand name....I've forgotten the second... They are good rice and not different from the usual imported rice

The 2 bags we bought in august were not different from foreign.. The caterer was amazed when she heard it's not foreign. I don't know where people dey see stone rice.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Godmademan(m): 2:22pm On Oct 16, 2019
I don't care about foreign rice. what I don't understand is why the price of local rice is rising with the rise in cost of foreign rice. I expected the reverse instead. The prices of other products seem to have risen too in the last few weeks
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Belleful: 2:52pm On Oct 16, 2019
seunfly:

That is not true, their are many local rice that is far better than foreign rice, olam, bull, coscharis etc.

People are just too ignorant including you and many are just too negative.
For me I v stopped eating foreign rice for more than 4 years now, I only eat olam's brand mama's choice or pride.
thank you. I myself have been eating the one bag of ebonyi rice I bought since April without finding one stone in it talkless of Stones. this is typical of Nigeria's. once one or two condemned anything, majority joins to comdem it without any prove.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by yaki84: 3:00pm On Oct 16, 2019
amaechi1:

Will you say same to Uncle Trump and Australian president when they closed their border to drowning immigrants? As if your stomach will announce to the whole world that you have eaten the so called "foreign rice"
Trump block foreignees from entering US cos of primarily insecurity.
Nigeria dey block border because of rice not humans or cows.
Chadians, malians, nigeriens r entering nigeria in troops daily.
Be sensitise for once.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by fyneguy: 3:08pm On Oct 16, 2019
post=83178476:

Here is another sensible youth on this forum.
A fineguy with sense! wink
A drastic change requires a drastic solution.
NO PAIN. NO GAIN!

Slow and steady we will get to a New and better Nigeria.
God bless you.
God bless Nigeria.

smiley Thanks for the compliment, sir. God bless you too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by backnbeta(f): 3:09pm On Oct 16, 2019
LoveJesus87:
you mean igbemo rice in Ekiti is stone-free?
No way! You'll still pick the stone...just that the taste is really good
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by backnbeta(f): 3:12pm On Oct 16, 2019
eternityk:

Is the igbemo rice processed by a rice mill in ekiti
And is that rice farm large
Is it very popular in ekiti?
I'm from ekiti ,so I'm curious
Are you kidding me!!! You're from Ekiti and you don't know Igbemo is a village in Ekiti state known for rice farming and production? I'm not from Ekiti, but I buy my rice from Ekiti.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by fowlyansh181(m): 3:48pm On Oct 16, 2019
amaechi1:

Which stone? You believe this report?
dude, i have local rice right here in my house I bought just two days ago, fck is filled with stones, and my lady is tired of picking it out and I still eat the stones after everything .. I’m going to dash that rice out today

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

2,000 Hired To Protest Against Service Chiefs On Monday — Presidency / The Brazen Act Of Marginalisation Of Christians In Kaduna State By Gov Elrufai / APC Governors Meet Buhari, Reject Consensus, Seek Indirect Primaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.