Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,278 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:44 AM

Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market - NYSC (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market (25062 Views)

Dear Corp Member, Prepared For Labour Market? A Must Read!!! / What Is Your Fate In The Labour Market Ngerian Corper? / Is Professional Course Really Beneficial In The Labour Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 8:45am On Jul 08, 2020
Richdee1:

You've not still said anything concerning it
What's the next step after having a BSC in Social Work?
Volunteer with Humanitarian organizations while also submitting your CV for paid employment.
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 8:45am On Jul 08, 2020
Familarize yourself with the following applications

1) Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft word (basic and intermediate).

2)Hubspot CRM

3) Google Calendar

4) Google Sheet

5)Power Bi

6)Slack

7)Zoom

-) Canva

9)Google Hangout Meetings

10) Power Bi

Do have a great day �

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 10:29pm On Jul 13, 2020
Job Search Tip
The top third of your resume should contain the most dynamic, persuasive, and noteworthy information about yourself and your career. ⁣⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⁣⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Top load your resume with accomplishments, successes, and quantifiable results that are the most applicable to the position you’re applying for. ⁣⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Not sure how to convey this information or figure it out? No worries. I can help you craft a compelling career story that positions you as an expert in your field (Call/Whatsapp: 08134657689). ⁣⠀⠀

Take advantage of our ongoing 3- in - 1 promo (CV,Cover Letter and Linkedln Optimization at friendly rate).
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 7:41pm On Jul 19, 2020
LIST OF CONFIRMED FAKE JOB VENUES
1. Plot 5, Voda Paint plc, University Press House, Fumec Bus stop off Adeniyi Jones Ogba lagos
2. 3rd floor, 8 Thomas Salako Street, Ogba Bus Stop, Ikeja Lagos
3. No 2, Sunday Street, off Ikorodu , Palmgrove, Lagos
4. 65c Opebi Road, Opposite glass house by salvation Bus stop, Opebi, Ikeja, Lagos
5. HYINSCO Office. No. 4, 2nd floor, upward sanitas outlet, Alara sStreet, off commercial avenue, Onike, Sabo Yaba, Lagos
6. Plot 5, university press building, along industrial road, Ogba, Lagos
7. 4B, Ogungbeye street Oppt African Shrine by Cadbury bus stop, Agidingbi Ikeja, Lagos
8. Plot 14, Block A, Voda Paint, Surulere House, off Fumec bus stop, Surulre industrial road, Ogba, Lagos.
9. No 4, Ahl Ogungbeye Street off Amaraolu road, Opp Mega chicken bus stop by first gate, Agidingbi, Ikeja, Lagos.,l
10. 1, Olabisi Close, Mende, Maryland (Lagos Resident only) HR 08074645567
11. 32, Olufemi Road, off Ogunlana Drive, Surulere Lagos, YDNJI.
12. Ajumobi Street, Off Acme Road, Mega Chicken bus stop, Ikeja, Lagos.
13. 6, Deji Oyenuga Street, opp Kehinde Odusote Estate, Anthony Village.
14. WESTCORP SERVICES LTD. 6, Deji Oyenuga Street, Opposite Kehinde Odusote Estate, Anthony bus stop, Lagos.
15. SOAR GROUP, Suite 2, Ikosi Road, Oluyole bus stop, Oregun ikeja, Lagos
16. Boat House, 21, Ogunnusi Road axis bus stop, Ogba, Ikeja, Lagos
17. 8, Bisi Ogabi Street, Balogun Awolowo Way, Ikeja. HR 09053280994
18. BSM premise, No 4, Kareem Ogungbeye Estate Agidingbi first gate bus stop.
19. 9, Oremeji Street Isolo, Heathstream Alliance and Wellness Homes, Beside Sunrise Microfinance Bank, Gbagada.
20. PSIS HR BOARD, L’monarch Towers, 65, Opebi road opp Glass House by Salvation Bus stop Ikeja, Lagos. 07010616106
21. 6, Remilekun Street Off Falolu Road, by Akerele Road Surulere. HR Matrixglove 07080403158
22. 6, UBIAJA CRESCENT GARKI 2, ABUJA, 08159694497

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 1:58pm On Jul 31, 2020
Wondering why you aren’t getting any callbacks?⁣⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⁣⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Here are the possible reasons:⁣⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⁣⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
1. Disorganized Resume – Many people neglect to put in the time and effort to create an effective resume. You cannot just throw information on your resume. There must be a strategy. It MUST be organized. ⁣⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
2. You’re Not Qualified – If the position called for a ‘project manager’, while you are an accountant, or the position required an MBA in marketing, while you are not a graduate with marketing experience, do not expect a call back from the recruiter. You are not a good fit for every position that is posted online. ⁣⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
3. They’re just not into you – You're great, but someone else closely met the qualifications and that is OKAY. ⁣⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
4. You fall Short – Say you are a website developer, but the job profile mentions preference to candidates from e-commerce with social media management expertise, you may not be the best fit. ⁣⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
5. Priorities change – Sometimes, due to last minute budget cuts, a position is eliminated before it's even filled. So, the recruiter may simply stop calling candidates or give you a standard response when you try to follow up.⁣⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⁣Credit: Demisha⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

As always, if you need help with your resume/cv, call/chat : 08134657689⠀⠀
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Richdee1(m): 9:56pm On Aug 23, 2020
Intelligentdude:
Holistic approach to Job Search
1.) Join LinkedIn, if you aren't already on it. Follow recruiters, HR professionals, many of them post jobs almost daily. Engage with them, like and comment on their posts. Forget Facebook, Instagram and the rest for now. They won't help you. Also try to have at least 300 connections to make you seem credible. Post things (articles, pictures, etc) related to your industry.

2.) Make a list of at least 300 companies you'd like to work with. Find out the names and emails of the person hiring, e.g, The Hiring Manager, The Human Resources Manager, etc. If you can't find those, the CEO will do. People are more likely to respond to a ''Dear Mrs Kemi'' or "Hello Mr Dozie" than a "Dear Ma" or Hello Sir". Remember that LinkedIn you joined, it will come in handy here.

Send each one an email, stating whom you are, your qualifications, what you are bringing to the table, i.e, how you can help their company. Make it short! Busy executives don't have time to read long emails. Also make it about them, they don't want to read your life story. You can google job application cold email samples to get a clearer idea of what I mean.

3.) Don't wait till you're done with NYSC. . Start applying like three months before passing out. After NYSC, apply to a minimum of 30 jobs daily. Don't just apply randomly, that's how people are scammed. They apply to so many jobs that they don't know whether the one sending them message is one that they applied to. Know the exact type of job you are applying for..

For your Professional CV/Cover Letter and Linkedln Profile Optimization, Call/Whatsapp Intelligentdude : 08134657689 or send us a mail : careerswithintelligentdude@gmail.com

just need to quote thus for future reference
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Seersam(m): 2:41pm On Aug 24, 2020
Intelligentdude:
1.) Join LinkedIn, if you aren't already on it. Follow recruiters, HR professionals, many of them post jobs almost daily. Engage with them, like and comment on their posts. Forget Facebook, Instagram and the rest for now. They won't help you. Also try to have at least 300 connections to make you seem credible. Post things (articles, pictures, etc) related to your industry.

2.) Make a list of at least 300 companies you'd like to work with. Find out the names and emails of the person hiring, e.g, The Hiring Manager, The Human Resources Manager, etc. If you can't find those, the CEO will do. People are more likely to respond to a ''Dear Mrs Kemi'' or "Hello Mr Dozie" than a "Dear Ma" or Hello Sir". Remember that LinkedIn you joined, it will come in handy here.

Send each one an email, stating whom you are, your qualifications, what you are bringing to the table, i.e, how you can help their company. Make it short! Busy executives don't have time to read long emails. Also make it about them, they don't want to read your life story. You can google job application cold email samples to get a clearer idea of what I mean.

3.) Don't wait till you're done with NYSC. . Start applying like three months before passing out. After NYSC, apply to a minimum of 30 jobs daily. Don't just apply randomly, that's how people are scammed. They apply to so many jobs that they don't know whether the one sending them message is one that they applied to. Know the exact type of job you are applying for..

For your Professional CV/Cover Letter and Linkedln Profile Optimization, Call/Whatsapp Intelligentdude : 08134657689 or send us a mail : careerswithintelligentdude@gmail.com
Thanks
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 10:37pm On Aug 24, 2020
Seersam:
Thanks
You are welcome
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Iamavictor92: 6:09am On Aug 25, 2020
Intelligentdude:

Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by joywendy(f): 8:20pm On Sep 02, 2020
Good evening everyone!

Our Q and A session is here! Q and A session is all on Volunteering and non-profits. We are excited to bring to you the 4th in the series!

We have 4 questions! A few from our Telegram group members and some from people who sent personal messages. We had to cut it to 4 due to the kind of questions we were answering.

Here are the questions to dissect.
1. Why are you into volunteering?What other previous experiences do you have with it?
2.Does it increase my chances of travelling abroad? And are there opportunities to volunteer in other places?
3. I'll like to know if organisations, non profit, NGOs etc conduct prior training for volunteers who are willing to serve but do not have prior experience or skill in that area.
4. How can I sustain myself as an unemployed volunteer?

To make it easier for everyone here are the time stamp

Introduction 0.00-0:14
Question 1 0:15-1:06
Question 2 1:07-2:05
Question 3 2:06- 3:06
Question 4 3:07- 4:10

Kindly watch here for answers to all the questions: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CEjBGHvHSUO/?igshid=1jsxahcogxzs

You can download full videos via my link in my signature

1 Like

Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Jayrockk: 3:39pm On Sep 17, 2020
Intelligentdude thumbs up fr u...anyways I studied international relations, grad with 2.2 and I'm waiting for nysc. Advice please smiley
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Highzik20(m): 9:07pm On Sep 17, 2020
Hello. Am a final year student of chemical engineering in one of
the country's federal university, entering the uni 5 years ago i
thought am going to find it easy when graduating with at
least a minimum of 2.1 because i have never been far away
from the best students. But along the line i got too
comfortable with that benchmark i gave myself and
somehow somewhere found myself graduating with 2.2 now
which i have been so disappointed with myself knowing that
the minimum requirement in seeking for jobs now is mostly
2.1 and am also feeling that i have disappointed my family
because there were expecting a much better result from me
due to the fact that they know am not a bad student. I
currently do not know what to do after graduation with this
result and it has really be making me depressed and
worried. I don't know what to do next in as much that i really
wants to continue in my line of profession as a process
engineer or i switch into IT since am also very interested in that area all well.
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 3:30pm On Jan 06, 2021
Jayrockk:
Intelligentdude thumbs up fr u...anyways I studied international relations, grad with 2.2 and I'm waiting for nysc. Advice please smiley
Hi. What area will you like to build a career?
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 3:34pm On Jan 06, 2021
Hello, sadly you cannot do anything about your class grade but you can do something about your life grade. While it is true that most organizations go for candidates with at least a second class upper, some organizations also focus on skills and sabificate. You can choose to build
a career as a process engineer or you can switch to Information Technology(which is the current trend),but first you need to first work on your self confidence then your skillset.
Highzik20:
Hello. Am a final year student of chemical engineering in one of
the country's federal university, entering the uni 5 years ago i
thought am going to find it easy when graduating with at
least a minimum of 2.1 because i have never been far away
from the best students. But along the line i got too
comfortable with that benchmark i gave myself and
somehow somewhere found myself graduating with 2.2 now
which i have been so disappointed with myself knowing that
the minimum requirement in seeking for jobs now is mostly
2.1 and am also feeling that i have disappointed my family
because there were expecting a much better result from me
due to the fact that they know am not a bad student. I
currently do not know what to do after graduation with this
result and it has really be making me depressed and
worried. I don't know what to do next in as much that i really
wants to continue in my line of profession as a process
engineer or i switch into IT since am also very interested in that area all well.
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by DEYOUS: 3:35pm On Jan 06, 2021
This is an encouraging thread, I love it
Intelligentdude:
I have been pondering on creating this thread for a while but because of my schedule, I had to postpone it and have been postponing it until today.

My name is Kenneth popularly known as intelligentdude. I am a Career Consultant and a recruiting personnel (Talent Acquisition Coach)with Intelligentdude Consult. Over the years,I have had interactions with a good number of graduates/corp members who are yet to define their career path even after graduation and most of them wander around not knowing what to do.

While working as a Human Resource Personnel/Admin. in one of the top web design and branding organizations in Lagos,I came in contact with graduates who were yearning to be properly guided in their career path so as not to spend their years in futility. Moreso,in the course of me writing/rewriting Curriculum Vitae(CV)for a good number of applicants,I have come to realize that most graduates need professional guidance in their career path.

While education is very important,it is expedient that graduates/corp members acquire the necessary skills in their area of study/interest/passion. Employers prefer those who do not only have certificate but possess sabificate. Sabificate simply means what you can do (wetin you sabi).

NYSC year is a year that can make or mar you depending on how you choose to utilize it. A good number of Corp members finish their youth service without acquiring any relevant skill which can help them transit quickly and successfully into the labour market. A graduate of Electrical Engineering who is posted to a Secondary School or Local Government can attach himself to an Electrician just to deepen his practical knowledge and experience.

Please understand,you can learn a profitable skill from anyone notwithstanding if he/she is an illiterate or literate. A graduate of Mechanical Engineering can volunteer to go worth with the seemingly illiterate Mechanics in his/her domain just to acquire the needed Technical skill and experience.
There are different opportunities one can take advantage of while serving to acquire needed skills and experience which will surely come to play while job hunting.

Starting a career in can be fairly straightforward. You pick an area of focus, learn it, and eventually find someone to hire you to do that type of work. As you grow, though, the path forward can become much less clear.

As a graduate of Computer Science,there are different career paths you can follow and this should inform your decision in the type of skills to acquire/learn and also the professional trainings you should undergo and the certifications you should possess.

As a graduate of Computer Science,you can pursue a Career as a:
1) Software Developer
2)Hardware Engineer
3) Web developer
4)Business Analyst
5)Quality Assurance Manager
6)Database Administrator
7)Network Administrator
viii)Security Analyst
9) IT Architect
10)Video Game Developer
11) Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Engineer
12)Data Scientist
13)Cloud Computing Engineer
14)Research and Development Scientist

Not only are computer science degrees needed for a number of applications across nearly every industry, but the total number of computer science jobs has also been steadily increasing. Those who did not study Computer Science in their undergraduate days are now coming onboard to learn and acquire IT Skills.

For those serving in fairly remote areas, if you would like to acquire a skill which can pay your bills,then you might want to consider Laptop repairs,phone repairs,Digital Marketing,Graphics, etc.

Task: Feel free to state the course you read or the career path you want to follow so I can counsel you on the professional trainings to undergo,the certificates to acquire etc.

You can also call/chat(whatsapp) us on : 08134657689 for your CV/Cover Letter,Job Search Support,Scholarship Search Support,Linkedln Profile Optimization,Statement of Purpose(SOP),LOI/LOM, Research Proposal,Assignments etc.

A nairalander testimony:
https://www.nairaland.com/4951418/how-got-job-oil-firm

Our Scholarship update thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/5399405/updated-scholarship-thread

Our daily Job alert thread
https://www.nairaland.com/5608339/updated-job-alerts
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 3:41pm On Jan 06, 2021
Thank you cool
DEYOUS:
This is an encouraging thread, I love it
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Jayrockk: 2:59pm On Jan 10, 2021
Intelligentdude:
Hi. What area will you like to build a career?
foreign affairs
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by VTJN(m): 3:36pm On Jan 10, 2021
Intelligentdude:
Hello,sorry I have been away. I would reply your question soonest. Cheers
Good day sir, i graduated last year with 2.1 in Geography & planning. Though still awaiting for service. please what area of specialization would you recommend for me. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by ugohdignity111(m): 2:00pm On Feb 23, 2021
Hello sir, I'm a fresh graduate of Environmental Biology/Zoology with a 2:1. I'm still waiting for my Nysc which will come up any moment from now, maybe by March. Now, I have a passion for Environment related works, I'm also planning to obtain a professional certificate on HSE during the course of my Nysc. Also I have a digital marketing skill I learnt a week ago which have not started yielding any profit yet, maybe because I'm not serious with it yet.

So what is your advice for me as an Environmental biologists/Zoologist looking forward to build a career around Environmental work sir?

If you have any other career advice that will suit me better, I will still appreciate it because I'm still a novice in this game.... Just trying to be ready before entering the labour market, so that I will know the particular area to channel my energy to
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 9:41am On Dec 26, 2021
ugohdignity111:
Hello sir, I'm a fresh graduate of Environmental Biology/Zoology with a 2:1. I'm still waiting for my Nysc which will come up any moment from now, maybe by March. Now, I have a passion for Environment related works, I'm also planning to obtain a professional certificate on HSE during the course of my Nysc. Also I have a digital marketing skill I learnt a week ago which have not started yielding any profit yet, maybe because I'm not serious with it yet.

So what is your advice for me as an Environmental biologists/Zoologist looking forward to build a career around Environmental work sir?

If you have any other career advice that will suit me better, I will still appreciate it because I'm still a novice in this game.... Just trying to be ready before entering the labour market, so that I will know the particular area to channel my energy to
Hello, compliment of the season�. Have you gone through the thread from the first page?
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by joshawesome: 7:58pm On Dec 28, 2021
Good evening sir, I'm a first class graduate of microbiology currently serving the nation(NYSC). I wanted a career path of food microbiologist but the state I was posted to didn't have any food processing company. My fear is that after NYSC, how can we acquire those " working experience" listed as requisite to obtain job from these food processing company. Please sir, is it advisable to run my master degree before in search of a work.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Mczigx(m): 4:34pm On Dec 29, 2021
joshawesome:
Good evening sir, I'm a first class graduate of microbiology currently serving the nation(NYSC). I wanted a career path of food microbiologist but the state I was posted to didn't have any food processing company. My fear is that after NYSC, how can we acquire those " working experience" listed as requisite to obtain job from these food processing company. Please sir, is it advisable to run my master degree before in search of a work.
Thank you

Food processing company isn't the only place a microbiology graduate can work, you can also work in research laboratories, pharmaceutical companies, Refineries etc

Since you already have a place you're serving and you'd have less time on your hands, here's one thing I'd suggest you do.

Look for companies that fall into any of the above listed, send in an application to volunteer with them for a fixed number of hours weekly (could be 10, 15, 20 or more, depends on you) without pay (they would be more willing to consider you if money isn't involved). If any of them considers your offer, you've got yourself a job where you can gain work experience and also affords you the opportunity to connect with persons there in your line of career who've gone ahead of you. Study them and learn.

There are a lot I could say about this but I think this would do for now.

The admin might have a better advice.

All the best.

1 Like

Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 9:16am On Jan 06, 2022
Skill Acquisition 2022

From Certificate to Sabificate

Free MasterClass Trainings on:

�Graphics Design
�Dropshipping
�Mobile Videography
�Forex Trading
�Crypto Trading
�Social Media Management and Marketing
�Digital Marketing
�Stocks Trading
�Copy Writing