Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,690 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market (25108 Views)

Dear Corp Member, Prepared For Labour Market? A Must Read!!! / What Is Your Fate In The Labour Market Ngerian Corper? / Is Professional Course Really Beneficial In The Labour Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by kovic7(m): 11:12am On Jan 02, 2020
Hi, I read business administration and management. I'm waiting for nysc this year, 2020. I'd like to know career paths in nysc and what possible skill I can learn both online and physical please.
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by jidejado(m): 11:49am On Jan 02, 2020
hello sir.. I graduated with a second class upper in Biochemistry. I'm still awaiting NYSC. want you to advice me on what part to go??. I m 25 though and thinking whether a Master's would be okay or going professional with additional skills..

Please reply!!!!
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 11:53am On Jan 02, 2020
A good number of job seekers have reached out to me as regard their plans to build a career in Human Resources and I feel I should share some thoughts here.

There is a difference between a Human Resource Consultant and a Human Resource Manager (This is a topic for another day).

However,for those who will like to build a career in Human Resources,one of the ways you can achieve this is to get professionally trained and acquire professional certifications. However, it is possible to start as a Human Resource Intern before you get your professional certification.

I have a protegee who reached out to me in 2016, he was at a cross road on what to do with his life and needed a professional career counsel. He got my contact here and called . I counseled him and told him what to do and today, he is the HR Manager of a top institution and is now CIPM certified. He started as a HR intern in the institution and rose to his current position.

Things to note:
CIPM is the HR body in Nigeria. The full meaning is Chartered Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria (write the exams and be inducted as a member if you want a successful career in HR,Nigeria).
SHRM is the HR body in the US. The full meaning is Society for Human Resource Management.
CIPD, the UK body which is the Chartered Institute Personnel Development.

If you really want to be deep in HR career, you need global affiliate aside CIPM.

1 Like

Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 11:54am On Jan 02, 2020
kovic7:
Hi, I read business administration and management. I'm waiting for nysc this year, 2020. I'd like to know career paths in nysc and what possible skill I can learn both online and physical please.
Hello,thanks for reaching out. I would reply your question once I am chanced. Cheers
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 11:54am On Jan 02, 2020
jidejado:
hello sir.. I graduated with a second class upper in Biochemistry. I'm still awaiting NYSC. want you to advice me on what part to go??. I m 25 though and thinking whether a Master's would be okay or going professional with additional skills..

Please reply!!!!
Hello. I would reply your question once I am done with my present task. Cheers
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by ChibeKs(m): 8:56am On Jan 04, 2020
hello sir, i read crop science, what career path can u recommend
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by ShugaFly(m): 11:50am On Jan 04, 2020
Graduate of Sociology , Going for Service soon
What career part can you advise please ?
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 5:31pm On Jan 04, 2020
kovic7:
Business Administration is a broad course and you can decide to specialize in any of these areas: Accounting, Finance, Supply chain, Marketing.

One of the best option is in financial management. This will lead you to become a financial Analyst, Budget planner and investment manager. If you want to follow that route,you should go for CFA or ACCA certification and build your Microsoft Excel skills for financial modeling.

However, if you are considering a career in Supply Chain, then you should go for APICS certification.

If becoming a Business Analyst is your dream, I would advice you go for both PMP and CBAP. You can start with CCBA (the first stage),then proceed to CBAP and PMP afterwards. Having both PMP and CBAP and knowing how to utilize the concepts in a business structure will open lots of opportunities for you.
If you must do MBA, Marketing should fly with you. There, you can focus on sales management, marketing management and market research - customer insight, product development etc.
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 5:34pm On Jan 04, 2020
jidejado:

Please reply!!!!
Hello, first I will like to know the area of Biochemistry that you are passionate about. Also,what is your career goal?
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 5:36pm On Jan 04, 2020
ChibeKs:
hello sir, i read crop science, what career path can u recommend
Hello,what I want to advice is something I will tell my brother if asked same question. I would advice you start learning coding and be good at it ,trust me it won't be a smooth journey but at the long run(years later),you will come here to appreciate me.

But that aside, what are you passionate about?
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by jidejado(m): 6:17pm On Jan 04, 2020
Intelligentdude:
Hello, first I will like to know the area of Biochemistry that you are passionate about. Also,what is your career goal?
I love nutritional biochemistry /food biochemistry... also love industrial biochemistry too....
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by kovic7(m): 9:38pm On Jan 04, 2020
Intelligentdude:
Business Administration is a broad course and you can decide to specialize in any of these areas: Accounting, Finance, Supply chain, Marketing.

One of the best option is in financial management. This will lead you to become a financial Analyst, Budget planner and investment manager. If you want to follow that route,you should go for CFA or ACCA certification and build your Microsoft Excel skills for financial modeling.

However, if you are considering a career in Supply Chain, then you should go for APICS certification.

If becoming a Business Analyst is your dream, I would advice you go for both PMP and CBAP. You can start with CCBA (the first stage),then proceed to CBAP and PMP afterwards. Having both PMP and CBAP and knowing how to utilize the concepts in a business structure will open lots of opportunities for you.
If you must do MBA, Marketing should fly with you. There, you can focus on sales management, marketing management and market research - customer insight, product development etc.

OK sir, for now, what online skill do you suggest that I learn while waiting for nysc??
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 9:25am On Jan 05, 2020
kovic7:

OK sir, for now, what online skill do you suggest that I learn while waiting for nysc??
Microsoft Excel is a good place to start.
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by kovic7(m): 2:58pm On Jan 05, 2020
I'm starting my lessons tomorrow. Thanks a lot, hope I can still ask more questions?
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 3:26pm On Jan 05, 2020
kovic7:
I'm starting my lessons tomorrow. Thanks a lot, hope I can still ask more questions?
Uwc. Sure you can.
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 7:57am On Jan 06, 2020
Someone sent a question to me : "She said she will like to build a career as a Quality Control Officer and will like to know the Certification to acquire".

My answer : Joining the institute of Public Analyst (IPAN) is a good step to take. IPAN trains laboratory personnel for quality control and related courses and being a member of IPAN makes you a public analyst.
A Public Analyst is a registered member of the Institute, who by virtue of his/her knowledge, training, skill, competence and integrity is authorized by law to analyse consumer and health-related products such as: Food, Drugs, Medical Devices, Cosmetics, Water, Chemicals, Chemically and Biologically-based Consumer Products, etc. and issue certificates (a prima facie evidence tenable in any law court or tribunal in Nigeria) regarding their composition, use, quality, safety and efficacy.

Also, getting certified in Health,Safety and Environment (HSE) is a good step.
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 8:02am On Jan 06, 2020
jidejado:

Please reply!!!!
Hi,I will advice you go for your Masters while taking advantage of some online trainings in your field of study/area of interest.
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 8:07am On Jan 06, 2020
ShugaFly:
Graduate of Sociology , Going for Service soon
What career part can you advise please ?
Hello,there are several career paths you can choose from with your background in Sociology. You could decide to go with any of these paths:
Counselor
Human Resources
Lecturer
Criminology
Marketing
Marketing Data Analyst
Policy Analyst
Public Relations
Social Worker
Market Researcher
Investigation
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by kovic7(m): 9:54am On Jan 06, 2020
Can I start writing ICAN or ACCA exams when doing my NYSC??
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 3:43pm On Jan 06, 2020
kovic7:
Can I start writing ICAN or ACCA exams when doing my NYSC??
Sure you can.
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 3:44pm On Jan 06, 2020
Selfless1:
What career path will you suggest to an English Education graduate. I'm currently waiting to be mobilized for NYSC.
Kindly go through this thread,I believe I have addressed that question.
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by blakid(m): 6:22pm On Jan 06, 2020
Graduate of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering.
Please sir, what career path would you suggest?
Cc; intelligentdude
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by kovic7(m): 6:54pm On Jan 06, 2020
Intelligentdude:
Sure you can.

How do I go about it please??
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 9:14pm On Jan 06, 2020
kovic7:

How do I go about it please??
Visit any ICAN training center around or follow the self taught route.
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by shigologo: 11:58pm On Jan 06, 2020
Intelligentdude:
Hello,Digital Marketing skill is worth it if you will be committed to learning the core and in demand aspect of it. A corp member contacted me from this platform in 2017 and she was added to my whatsapp group,I counseled my members lots of times to acquire digital marketing skill (every organization wants to sell and remain relevant even almighty google advertises till date). She wasn't open to my advice initially but in 2008 towards August she enrolled for a training. The summary is that she is presently earning above 200,000Naira working with a reputable organisation. Also note,you both are in the same age bracket.

When you have Skills (IT/Digital/Technical Skills),a good number of organizations won't mind your age (except those with strict rules).

Also,if you are a digital marketer with a difference (great at lead generation,qualification and conversion),getting a job won't be an issue.
You are such a blessing to me. Thanks a lot sir
Re: Career Path To Follow : Preparing yourself for the Labour Market by Intelligentdude(m): 8:10am On Jan 07, 2020
shigologo:

You are such a blessing to me. Thanks a lot sir
You are welcome. BTW,it was in 2018 (not 2008,typo error)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How Do You Know An Authentic Nysc Certificate? / Corpers' Lodge In Bori, Rivers Attacked By Armed Men, One Injured / My Experience At The NYSC Camp, Yikpata, Kwara State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.