Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,750 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me (1757 Views)

5 Things You Should Considered Before Coming To Study In The UK / I Am Coming To Nigeria, Lagos, Recommend Me The Best Hotel! / Plane Touches Down At Akwa Ibom For 1st Time! (video) (2) (3) (4)

I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by ShyOne(f): 5:11am On Nov 10, 2010
This is my first thread so I'm nervous. But I need some advice so I need your help NL.

I am coming to Nigeria for the first time - to Lagos. Please advise me on what to expect from your point of view. What I should try to experience while I am in Lagos. I will be there for one month.

Examples:

I have never had Nigerian Food - my system is very sensitive so I don't want to eat anything too heavy. Maybe some dishes you would suggest please?

Also, places to visit that are cultural in Lagos and surrounding area.

I love clothes and shoes - would you suggest certain shops over others?

Please advise - I welcome men and women.
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by madlady(f): 5:16am On Nov 10, 2010
I've never been but I would love to.

I love the spinach stews.

@chaircover's bridal and fashion boutique is located in Lagos, you might check that out. smiley
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by Nobody: 5:21am On Nov 10, 2010
A close friend of mines [ Used to be a Nler] just left US to stay in Lagos.

I'll call him up and let him give you the info abt Lagos.

He knows everywhere and things to do in that city. Hope you enjoy. I'll be back after asking him wink
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by kay177(m): 5:25am On Nov 10, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

He knows everywhere and things to do in that city. Hope you enjoy. I'll be back after asking him wink

WHY CANT YOU OFFER HER THE INFO, MUST YOU FIX HER UP WITH A MAN. SMART MOVE angry angry
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by Nobody: 5:27am On Nov 10, 2010
kay177:

WHY CANT YOU OFFER HER THE INFO, MUST YOU FIX HER UP WITH A MAN. SMART MOVE angry angry

Must everything involving a man and a woman be a hook up?
Because I don't have the info?
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by Okijajuju1(m): 5:35am On Nov 10, 2010
Welcome to lagos, The city of hustlers
Everybody's in a hurry, Traders & Customers
Pockets get picked, on a regular
If your not street, please be careful with your cellular
Be careful when you are driving cos an Okada just might be near you
Knock one of them down, and the rest gonna tear you to pieces.
Danfo drivers always wanna fumble, rush hour traffic is like the royal rumble.

- Mode Nine!! This is Lagos

But on a more serious note;

Lagos na die o!! Just hook up with the right people (esp. Family), And hopefully they can show you around. No find anybody trouble o!! And no behave like JJC. Shine your eye, No disrespect Officer a.k.a Olopa a.k.a Police a.k.a Mopol and you'll be fine. Have fun.

Tourist destination to avoid;

Ajegunle City.  wink

Things to look out for;

The people, the culture, the hussle, the night life and ofcourse Olopa!!
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by Nobody: 6:39am On Nov 10, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

LOL.Was it(info) necessary?
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by Nobody: 6:41am On Nov 10, 2010
jennykadry:

LOL.Was it(info) necessary?
Yes.
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by Nobody: 6:52am On Nov 10, 2010
^^Cool for you
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by kay177(m): 6:54am On Nov 10, 2010
funny posts all over cool cool cool cool cool
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by Tinksh(f): 7:16am On Nov 10, 2010
I just wanted to say, im so excited for you shy-one. Would love to go myself one day but not brave enough, hehe! I hope you have an awesome time and report back all your adventures. Stay safe!! smiley

Congrats on your first thread! smiley
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by adagz01(m): 7:19am On Nov 10, 2010
I guess you are coming wif your bobo which is a nigerian,so just relax let him do most of d moving around with you.

Expect very hot whether condition above 30 degrees,the ppl are very hospitable,nice night clubs,bar,shoping mall,good culture,stupid hold up,419 plety sha o,expect plenty toasting,dont disobey lagos boys they can beat anybody,no emergency call to the police o etc.

you can gimme a call when you don arrive
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by Creamish(f): 7:37am On Nov 10, 2010
U need patience . . n try not to b upset at d slightest thing . . . Lagos is fun . .esp at night . . I loved goin to d beach then . . im sure ul enjoy ur stay there.

BTW . . some of d local dishes r actually very cool . .u shuld listen to dat little tempting voice in u n try it wink
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by mamaken: 8:02am On Nov 10, 2010
Shy-One:

I love clothes and shoes - would you suggest certain shops over others?
Please advise - I welcome men and women.

I advise you to spend a whole day in the ShopRite in lekki. all under one roof. good food, clothes, shoes and much more . . .

u'll love nigeria. i wish u a pleasant stay  smiley
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by tkb417(m): 9:11am On Nov 10, 2010
im not the supremo commander of Lagos but i know everywhere in Las Gidi

highbrow, 'mid-scale brow', 'lowbrow' and i think how much fun you get would depend on who takes you around or where u'll be staying

trust me, Lagos night life is far ahead of most cities around the world and our London bobos/gals can attest to this

youre coming at the most appropriate time as people are already booking flights to storm Lagos for the yuletide

There are malls, not like the ones u have in th states but u can laze around the malls, see movies and i can swear u'll bump into an old acquitance in one of these places

u wanna go clubbing- haha, u have a lot to pick from

For food, im sure u can get all kinds of food. From the international chain/boutique hotels that offer the continental and other local dishes to some decent and not too 'plush' fast food joints

Be warned, try and live on the island and try to avoid the usual hustle and bustle angle of the inner city cos agberos and okada riders might pose a lotta problems.

u can holla tkb as i can be ur perfect guide whenever ure coming. i'll be away for 2 weeks and would be ready for the xmas shebang right from the 2nd week of december

so u can roll with me and my flipmode anytime
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by kaybee2ng(m): 2:10pm On Nov 10, 2010
ITS NOT AS IF NIGERIA IS IN THE BUSH, EVEN U ARE COMING FROM WHATEVER U ARE USED TO OVER THERE
ITS ALSO HERE IN LAGOS, SO FAR U HAVE UR MONEY, ANY FOOLS SHOULD KNOW THAT

EXCEPT U ARE FAKE, I DONT THINK YOU NEED THIS FORUM FOR ANSWER TO SUCH QUESTIONS OR U DONT MIND THE RISK?
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by ShyOne(f): 3:10pm On Nov 10, 2010
Thank you all so much for responding because I am truly nervous about this trip

The way you have described Lagos is making me feel a lot better and more comfortable

So thank you very much for your responses
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by mamaken: 3:13pm On Nov 10, 2010
Shy-One:

Thank you all so much for responding because I am truly nervous about this trip

The way you have described Lagos is making me feel a lot better and more comfortable

So thank you very much for your responses

but where do u think u r traveling to? smiley
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by md4real(m): 3:19pm On Nov 10, 2010
i have learned alot from this thread despite being in Nigeria myself. kudos to the contributors
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by kpolli(m): 3:40pm On Nov 10, 2010
Igbo boy just got selected to be a shop boy in alaba n he is enquiring for experiences, sharp bro
u wud make it
u wont last the 20yrs apprenticeship, i forsee u graduating early
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by ShyOne(f): 3:49pm On Nov 10, 2010
madlady:

I've never been but I would love to.

I love the spinach stews.

@chaircover's bridal and fashion boutique is located in Lagos, you might check that out. smiley

I love spinach so I will eat anything with spinach in it - thank you very much for that information

Chaircover has a bridal and fashion boutique? Wow this is GREAT information - I will definitely go there - thank you

Tink_sh:

I just wanted to say, im so excited for you shy-one. Would love to go myself one day but not brave enough, hehe! I hope you have an awesome time and report back all your adventures. Stay safe!! smiley

Congrats on your first thread! smiley

Tink:  Thank you soo much - I am going to Lagos in either January or February - I am scared a bit, but also excited.  I get nervous around a lot of people especially those that I don't know and Lagos looks soo BIG and millions of people so I am trying not to hyperventilate too much about it.

mamaken:

I advise you to spend a whole day in the ShopRite in lekki. all under one roof. good food, clothes, shoes and much more . . .

u'll love nigeria. i wish u a pleasant stay  smiley

Lekki?  I was told about Lekki - isn't there a beach in that area also?  I will try this ShopRite - thank you.

Creamish:

U need patience . . n try not to b upset at d slightest thing . . . Lagos is fun . .esp at night . . I loved goin to d beach then . . im sure ul enjoy your stay there.

BTW . . some of d local dishes r actually very cool . .u shuld listen to dat little tempting voice in u n try it  wink

Creamish:  Thank you soo much for your insight - I do tend to get upset easily - I am very very grateful to you for saying this to me - I will really focus on being patient - there is a strike going on in Lagos today and the banks aren't open, you can't buy gas for generators today - this type of thing is unheard of in the U.S. - banks closed because of strikes - so I will try very very hard to be patient and stay quiet.

I am looking forward to the local dishes - just hope my system can handle it.

adagz 01:

I guess you are coming wif your bobo which is a nigerian,so just relax let him do most of d moving around with you.

Expect very hot whether condition above 30 degrees,the ppl are very hospitable,nice night clubs,bar,shoping mall,good culture,silly hold up,419 plety sha o,expect plenty toasting,dont disobey lagos boys they can beat anybody,no emergency call to the police o etc.

you can gimme a call when you don arrive  

Thank you Adagz 01 - my man lives in Lagos and he works all the time and so do I - I am actually bringing my laptop so I can work as well starting week 2 of my stay.  We don't do night clubs or bars as we don't drink.

Can I ask you this?  What is 419?  What do you mean here?  I hear this 419 number all the time and I still haven't figured out what this means.

I don't disrespect men so the "lagos boys" have no worries - I won't be alone so my man will be with me at ALL TIMES - he said what you said about it being hot - you know there will be snow below zero weather in Indiana when I leave here going to Lagos - so I will have to buy clothes in Lagos so I can dress for the weather in Lagos -thank you

Okija_juju:

Welcome to lagos, The city of hustlers
Everybody's in a hurry, Traders & Customers
Pockets get picked, on a regular
If your not street, please be careful with your cellular
Be careful when you are driving cos an Okada just might be near you
Knock one of them down, and the rest gonna tear you to pieces.
Danfo drivers always wanna fumble, rush hour traffic is like the royal rumble.

- Mode Nine!! This is Lagos

But on a more serious note;

Lagos na die o!! Just hook up with the right people (esp. Family), And hopefully they can show you around. No find anybody trouble o!! And no behave like JJC. Shine your eye, No disrespect Officer a.k.a Olopa a.k.a Police a.k.a Mopol and you'll be fine. Have fun.

Tourist destination to avoid;

Ajegunle City.  wink

Things to look out for;

The people, the culture, the hussle, the night life and ofcourse Olopa!!

Thank you for this information.  Please help me - what is Okada?  what is Danfo Driver?  Thank you

Ileke-IdI:

Thank you so much Ileke - This is wonderful information.  I would love to hear from your friend - but I will not be allowed to call him - my man would be highly offended and absolutely would not understand my communique with another man via phone.  But I would love if he would be able to respond on NL - His comparisons to the U.S. versus Lagos would be PHENOMENAL for me and I would be eternally grateful to you for this,  That was a good idea.

jennykadry:

^^Cool for you

Thank you Jenny very much - I am scared and excited at the same time.
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by morpheus24: 9:28pm On Nov 10, 2010
@ shyone

When you land the airport, be polite when passing through immigration.
1. Try to get your bags as fast as possilbe. lagos airport have a tendency of delaying bag picups and before you know it the next flight has arrived.
2. If you are flying Air france they usually get ther earlier in the day around 5pm which is good
3. Nigerian people like people who are very respectful so bare this in mind as you approach people however do not appear timid. Nigerians very assertive people.

4. I suggest you take a bottle of pepto cause no matter how strong your stomach is, you aint gonna be used to the food. Don't worry it gets better as your stomach adjusts.

5. Try to visit other cities in Nigeria as lagos will not giveyou a good picture of the country. I recommend Abuja, Calabar Obudu ranch and Kano or Minna if possible. lagos has the vibe of Newyork city. It is fast paced and couls be disorienting at first.

6. Nigerians are social so try to hang out. you don't have to drink. we have moslems in the country who don't drink either but they still get their groove on.

7. Always have someone bargian prices for you or you will get the expatriate rate. hehehehe!!
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by chic2pimp(m): 4:00am On Nov 11, 2010
morpheus24:

4. I suggest you take a bottle of pepto cause no matter how strong your stomach is, you aint gonna be used to the food. Don't worry it gets better as your stomach adjusts.
Wholeheartedly agree!!!
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by r231(m): 6:48pm On Nov 11, 2010
I'm coming to Lagos too

so don't worry i will show you around lol
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by Rocktation(f): 11:55pm On Nov 11, 2010
I've got 5 words for you; ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK. Just kiddin. But i kinda mean that anyways. Scam artists or fraudsters are being refered to as 419, okada is another word for motor bike (especially those used commercially for transit), and danfo means bus. Lagos is an amazing place, i know this for sure. I grew up there afterall.
Re: I Am Coming To Lagos For 1st Time - Nl Please Advise Me by jerseyguy(m): 2:12am On Nov 12, 2010
You should order a copy of Time Out Lagos 2010/2011 (and also, Time Out Abuja) - these are published by the famed Time Out cations are published by well reputable.

Make sure you buy it through the online web site of the UK company (not anywhere else). Though it is listed at 5.99 British Pounds Sterling (shipping not included); I got mine within 10 days. I am a Nigerian, and I think they did a good job with the guides. Hotels/Restaurants/Clubs/Shopping/Health/ etc are all covered - and lots of pictures too.

Have fun and good luck with your trip.

Below is the link to Time Out (but you can "google this on your own to verify link":

http://shop.timeout.com/travel-magazines/lagos-for-visitors-10.html

Travelling To Ghana (suhum New Lorry Station) Help / How To Apply For University Abroad & Student Visa Without Agents And Advance Fee / Direction To Kofo Abayomi Street Vi

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71