Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,521 members, 7,816,277 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst - Programming (105) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst (331345 Views)

Chronicle Of A Data/cloud Engineer / Net Salary For A Data Analyst Or Scientist Or Web Dev / Aspiring Data Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (146) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 11:29am On Oct 28, 2021
Mimisboygreat:
So that means i should go for postgresql then?

yeah true. But people are saying that postgresql is the best new thing now. I'm just confused cry

The most important thing is that you start learning: whether postgre or mysql.

You can easily switch depending on future requirements.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Mimisboygreat: 11:44am On Oct 28, 2021
Raalsalghul:

The most important thing is that you start learning: whether postgre or mysql.

You can easily switch depending on future requirements.
Thank you very much boss.
Felixitie:

Consider the one that is widely used or applied in the business world. However they all have same syntax, just little differences.
Alright. Thank you very much.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by baqirshuayb(m): 5:23pm On Oct 28, 2021
pls, is knowing python and its libraries (numpy,pandas,matplotlib, scrappy etc) enough to qualify one as a data scientist?
if no, what do one needs to add to qualify?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Felixitie(m): 5:54pm On Oct 28, 2021
baqirshuayb:
pls, is knowing python and its libraries (numpy,pandas,matplotlib, scrappy etc) enough to qualify one as a data scientist?
if no, what do one needs to add to qualify?

If you mean as data analyst, maybe yes. But as a data scientist (ML/AI), No.. Even as a data analyst you need to be proficient at SQL, plus Visualisation skills ( excel, powerbi and Co)

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by baqirshuayb(m): 9:28pm On Oct 28, 2021
Felixitie:

If you mean as data analyst, maybe yes. But as a data scientist (ML/AI), No.. Even as a data analyst you need to be proficient at SQL, plus Visualisation skills ( excel, powerbi and Co)
thanks

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Jusome1: 11:31am On Oct 30, 2021
Am just JJC in Data Science, I know is not a day Job, pls, where do I start from

1.What is the first knowledge, e.g a plane must Run before it fly...so What do I learn first before I fly in Data Science...

2. What is the Minimum Laptop Specifications I must posses to download A must have Apps for Data science

3. How to Master the skill needed In Data Science

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by movado19: 3:23pm On Oct 30, 2021
Toppytek:

Na trust issues go be our major problem with employers, who go trust us with their Database?

grin lol!
This comment is golden! Trust is a commodity that we do not have in spades both locally and internationally.
It's even more worthy than the data itself!
What even makes it worse is the society that hails those who break trust bonds and classify them as "local heroes".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Excallibur(m): 9:48pm On Oct 30, 2021
free youtube data science course https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEiEAq2VkUUINUPH9xn31yGNgUUTr_Ldt

night plan is your best friend

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by T4kbaba(m): 11:16pm On Oct 30, 2021

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Kaymax2222: 11:56pm On Oct 30, 2021
GidiCars:

I will do that next week.
hello good evening..... I can see you are helping people on there way to become a data analyst, God bless you for this.... Pls help me too. I want to start too but don't just know how to go about it any help from you will be appreciated
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 8:33pm On Oct 31, 2021
movado19:

grin lol!
This comment is golden! Trust is a commodity that we do not have in spades both locally and internationally.
It's even more worthy than the data itself!
What even makes it worse is the society that hails those who break trust bonds and classify them as "local heroes".

Honestly, I've never given this a thought.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Konquest: 11:57am On Nov 02, 2021
Ejiod:
Apologies all for this long wait..
Traffic here in Lagos can be mental sapping.
Like I said on the headline,I will be detailed on my journey...
Just to clear all doubt..I didn't study computer science or any computer related field..

TRANSITION PERIOD: After graduating from the university with my BSc Biochemistry...I felt I'm a big boy, I can apply to any firm and start earning big.... Damn, I was wrong...took real stress and effort to even get a teaching job paying less than 20k.....Then it was then I realized what I studied wasn't relevant to Nigeria...It was actually frustrating...I felt I could be better of.. Fast forward I went for MSc thinking I could get a lecturing job but even graduating with a Phd grade of 4.3 I was offered a job of under 50k....
It was then I knew I had to switch for good...
Mind you I always had a knack for computer but never did want to go into it..

Will continue tomorrow..need to rest guys.
@Ejiod
Deep insights!

What did you study at the
MSc and Phd levels?

Nice thread.

Cheers.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by dahdopedaniels(m): 2:42pm On Nov 02, 2021
BoleAndFish:
grin grin grin

How can one reach out to you for career advice?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by BoleAndFish: 9:41pm On Nov 02, 2021
dahdopedaniels:

How can one reach out to you for career advice?
You might want to reach out to Ejiod, not me.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Heyf: 4:22pm On Nov 03, 2021
Please suggestions for YouTube playlist to learn powerbi ??
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by movado19: 4:50am On Nov 04, 2021
I thought to share this link as I believe it will be very useful for all who watch it.

It's about creating the "right" content with the "appropriate context". Doing this will lead to a profitable transaction with respect to money, value, etc.
With respect to DA/BA/DA/DE aspirants or even those with years in the game, this sort of information is ever-green and one could pick a nugget or two from it.

As an example:
1. A DA/BA who is tasked - by a sports apparel company - with reporting the ACCOUNT OWNERS and their respective PROFIT for the top 20 regions over a period of Q1-Q4.
Instead, S/he shows reports SALES for those regions from Q1-Q3...
...high volume sales does NOT equal profit!
Q1-Q3 does NOT equal Q1-Q4.
The DA/BA did not put the client/stakeholder's request into proper context.

S/he could have asked questions such as:
In what way(s) do you expect this data to help you? (It could be that they are looking to close down/consolidate some stores that aren't performing nationwide. The sales report will not cut it as high volume sales does not mean profit.
How do you intend to finally use the data?
Are there other associated data that could assist you in making your decision?
etc, etc, etc...

You must ask the right questions with respect to the client's end goals/objectives.
You must prepare and analyze the right data in the context of the project objective.
You learn Excel/Power BI in the context of a DA/BA/DS, etc, and not in the context of say a chemistry teacher. (Know what in excel is vital to the lifeblood of your career track. I believe this has been exhausted throughout the 105 pages of this wonderful thread!)
Always learn/know the foundations in anything as this will heavily support the structure in the future, same with excel!

As an example:
You want to cook indomie noodles.
You have a base of water.
Then you have the raw indomie.
Then the appropriate spices.

You want to cook jollof rice.
You have a base of water.
Then you have the raw rice.
Then the appropriate spices.

They both have a common base of water...this is how excel is!
Learn the foundation and then branch out to advanced topics with your area of specialty in mind. You do not want to waste your time learning ALL of excel. Have a clear direction.
Lastly, imagine trying to cook jollof rice and what you use are indomie and its spices! This is out of "context" with respect to the objective of cooking jollof rice.
Do NOT serve your customer Indomie when what they asked for is Jollof rice! They may never transact with you in the future!
When in doubt, ask, ask, and ask again.

Please enjoy the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuOhb3UOnLY

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 12:32pm On Nov 08, 2021
Anyone knows where I can get a good course on web scrapping?

Links will appreciated. Thanks!
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Englishisamust: 9:48am On Nov 12, 2021
Plz how can I get conda virtual without environment without using command prompt

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 9:47am On Nov 13, 2021
Englishisamust:
Plz how can I get conda virtual without environment without using command prompt

Kindly clarify your request!
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by GidiCars: 6:14pm On Nov 13, 2021
Kaymax2222:
hello good evening..... I can see you are helping people on there way to become a data analyst, God bless you for this.... Pls help me too. I want to start too but don't just know how to go about it any help from you will be appreciated

It depends on the gadgets you have at your disposal. For instance, I have a good laptop, phone, lots of data to burn, and about 4 to 5 hours which I can study with everyday. Some people would tell you they do not have a laptop for study. I personally don't think phones can be used to effectively learn and practice data analysis.

Also, do you enjoy reading more or you prefer videos? These and many more would determine how I can help you out

Lastly�, do you know python or have used Power bi?

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Blesschemical: 9:41pm On Nov 13, 2021
GidiCars:

It depends on the gadgets you have at your disposal. For instance, I have a good laptop, phone, lots of data to burn, and about 4 to 5 hours which I can study with everyday. Some people would tell you they do not have a laptop for study. I personally don't think phones can be used to effectively learn and practice data analysis.

Also, do you enjoy reading more or you prefer videos? These and many more would determine how I can help you out

Please sir help me with some courses for data analysis.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Kaymax2222: 9:48pm On Nov 13, 2021
GidiCars:

good evening boss I appreciate your response back to me. I am a newbie.. I don't have any first hand knowledge I the feed and I prefer video also I have a phone and a laptop too. Pls help.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 8:22am On Nov 14, 2021
Blesschemical:
Please sir help me with some courses for data analysis.

Your location?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Blesschemical: 1:43pm On Nov 14, 2021
Raalsalghul:

Your location?
Abia state
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by movado19: 2:22pm On Nov 14, 2021
GidiCars:

To butress your point, @ Gidicars,
@Kaymax222 can go through the thread and see that excel, PBI, SQL, Tableau, Python are the most frequent tools & languages to learn.

If s/he is brand new to any of these, then I would personally suggest the following route:
Excel - SQL - PBI - Tableau - Python.

My reason for this is that excel is the "mothership" of all, if not most of these data viz/spreadsheet tools (including google spreadsheet).
Having a good grasp of excel will ensure smooth sailing in PBI and Tableau.
SQL should be next or in tandem with excel because then one can see the similarities and differences with respect to how both of them deal with data cleaning through their functions.

Python should be after one is proficient to a certain degree in the 4 prior tools (in my opinion).

@Kaymax222 can go to the following link to download the workbook tutorial which takes one through some very important excel formulas.

https://templates.office.com/en-us/Formula-tutorial-TM16400656

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/excel-video-training-9bc05390-e94c-46af-a5b3-d7c22f6990bb?wt.mc_id=otc_home

I hope this helps.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 4:12pm On Nov 14, 2021
movado19:

To butress your point, @ Gidicars,
@Kaymax222 can go through the thread and see that excel, PBI, SQL, Tableau, Python are the most frequent tools & languages to learn.

If s/he is brand new to any of these, then I would personally suggest the following route:
Excel - SQL - PBI - Tableau - Python.

My reason for this is that excel is the "mothership" of all, if not most of these data viz/spreadsheet tools (including google spreadsheet).
Having a good grasp of excel will ensure smooth sailing in PBI and Tableau.
SQL should be next or in tandem with excel because then one can see the similarities and differences with respect to how both of them deal with data cleaning through their functions.

Python should be after one is proficient to a certain degree in the 4 prior tools (in my opinion).

@Kaymax222 can go to the following link to download the workbook tutorial which takes one through some very important excel formulas.

https://templates.office.com/en-us/Formula-tutorial-TM16400656

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/excel-video-training-9bc05390-e94c-46af-a5b3-d7c22f6990bb?wt.mc_id=otc_home

I hope this helps.

You do know your stuff, meanwhile can you point me to any web scrapping material?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by movado19: 5:11pm On Nov 14, 2021
Raalsalghul:

You do know your stuff, meanwhile can you point me to any web scrapping material?

Thank you.

For web scraping using Python, here's a free Udemy video on how to:
https://www.udemy.com/course/web-scraping-python-tutorial/

For web scraping using Excel, here is the workflow on how to:
https://www.promptcloud.com/blog/how-to-use-excel-to-scrape-websites/

I hope this is helpful to you.

8 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 5:59pm On Nov 14, 2021
movado19:

Thank you.

For web scraping using Python, here's a free Udemy video on how to:
https://www.udemy.com/course/web-scraping-python-tutorial/

For web scraping using Excel, here is the workflow on how to:
https://www.promptcloud.com/blog/how-to-use-excel-to-scrape-websites/

I hope this is helpful to you.

Thanks, I very much appreciate.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by movado19: 7:20pm On Nov 14, 2021
Raalsalghul:

Thanks, I very much appreciate.

You are very welcome.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Sageez(m): 7:46pm On Nov 14, 2021
Let me share my little cent.
I am a newbie too. Certification is also very important I think.
Most people just start data analysis without understanding the fundamentals.
Someone is us here can't even differentiate between Descriptive and prescriptive analysis but are already jumping into excel. Best of luck to them!
My suggestion.
If you have data, go to Coursera and enroll for Google data analysis professional certification. If you are as rich as I am, apply for financial aid. Best of luck.
For me it is Excel, very little of SQL(still working on it), R(I took some course in edX)...

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by movado19: 8:02pm On Nov 14, 2021
Sageez:
Let me share my little cent.
I am a newbie too. Certification is also very important I think.
Most people just start data analysis without understanding the fundamentals.
Someone is us here can't even differentiate between Descriptive and prescriptive analysis but are already jumping into excel. Best of luck to them!
My suggestion.
If you have data, go to Coursera and enroll for Google data analysis professional certification. If you are as rich as I am, apply for financial aid. Best of luck.
For me it is Excel, very little of SQL(still working on it), R(I took some course in edX)...

You are very right.
Knowing the data types and analysis types is very important...that should actually be the first goal and this can be learned in a day or two, I believe. It's not something that would or should delay one from still starting in Excel, because in there, one gets to see the various data types at play.
The analysis types become more understandable when/if anyone takes Statistics (at least begin by understanding the philosophy).

If you have data, go to Coursera and enroll for Google data analysis professional certification. If you are as rich as I am, apply for financial aid.

cheesy cheesy Yes, yes, yes! No one should let finances stop them from learning and they do help out a lot with financial aid.
I also believe that course/certification would be very nice for anyone who looks into it. Google has done a lot of work to simplify virtually the whole data analysis process. They have put together a fine blend of soft and hard skills that are in demand.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 11:15pm On Nov 15, 2021
movado19:

You are very right.
Knowing the data types and analysis types is very important...that should actually be the first goal and this can be learned in a day or two, I believe. It's not something that would or should delay one from still starting in Excel, because in there, one gets to see the various data types at play.
The analysis types become more understandable when/if anyone takes Statistics (at least begin by understanding the philosophy).

If you have data, go to Coursera and enroll for Google data analysis professional certification. If you are as rich as I am, apply for financial aid.

So Google has a Data Analysis certification? Interesting! I will definitely check it out.

Combining preparation for DA100 exam and work has been tasking.
cheesy cheesy Yes, yes, yes! No one should let finances stop them from learning and they do help out a lot with financial aid.
I also believe that course/certification would be very nice for anyone who looks into it. Google has done a lot of work to simplify virtually the whole data analysis process. They have put together a fine blend of soft and hard skills that are in demand.

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (146) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.