Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,657 members, 7,816,686 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst - Programming (116) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst (331408 Views)

Chronicle Of A Data/cloud Engineer / Net Salary For A Data Analyst Or Scientist Or Web Dev / Aspiring Data Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) ... (146) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 4:12pm On Jan 30, 2022
movado19:

Gosh! I am just like those people who like to burst pimples or blackheads on other people's faces once sighted, but this time around with data visualisation, lol cheesy

I see a whole lot not right with this dashboard...they are the things that make the intended audience NEVER take action, even after all the time spend putting the charts together.

A lot of "hardcore" data people think its beneath them to put in the effort when it comes to visualisations, forgetting that this is the "PLATING OF THE DISH" for the audience and if not done correctly, then all the work done from inception falls into the drain.
You are practically engaing with the brain of people who have very little attention to give...

We would appreciated one or two pointers. wink
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Felixitie(m): 6:05pm On Jan 30, 2022
SonOfNobody:

I have been able to visualize the data sir

Thanks so much

That's good. Enjoy the journey bro
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Kaycee54321(m): 10:26am On Jan 31, 2022
movado19:

Gosh! I am just like those people who like to burst pimples or blackheads on other people's faces once sighted, but this time around with data visualisation, lol cheesy

I see a whole lot not right with this dashboard...they are the things that make the intended audience NEVER take action, even after all the time spend putting the charts together.

A lot of "hardcore" data people think its beneath them to put in the effort when it comes to visualisations, forgetting that this is the "PLATING OF THE DISH" for the audience and if not done correctly, then all the work done from inception falls into the drain.
You are practically engaing with the brain of people who have very little attention to give...

I'd really love to hear your thoughts on what could be added to the dashboard to make the call to action more glaring...

Personally, I feel it's a pretty ok (basic) dashboard and if the analyst in question is a good storyteller, (a key skill)... the dashboard would drive required insight

For instance, if I were a decision maker,
I'll like to know the agents responsible for the 19% unanswered calls and ask HR or their line managers to relay necessary feedback to them so that answered calls can come up to 98% minimum...

I want to know why calls aren't coming in in February and March...I want to know why we have high number of issues on streaming & payment that are unresolved...
I'd also ask why we have calls over the weekend for complaints...my customers need to have the weekend to themselves so issues that are coming up over the weekend should be treated so that calls in that period are reduced to the barest minimum (win-win for my employees and customers)

And on and on and on...

A dashboard is like a gun. The capacity of the gun is quite important but not nearly as important as the skill or ability of the shooter.

Decent dashboard for me.

3 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Felixitie(m): 12:52pm On Jan 31, 2022
Kaycee54321:

I'd really love to hear your thoughts on what could be added to the dashboard to make the call to action more glaring...

Personally, I feel it's a pretty ok (basic) dashboard and if the analyst in question is a good storyteller, (a key skill)... the dashboard would drive required insight

I'll like to know the agents responsible for the 19% unanswered calls and ask HR or their line managers to relay necessary feedback to them so that answered calls can come up to 98% minimum...

I want to know why calls aren't coming in in February and March...I want to know why we have high number of issues on streaming & payment that are unresolved...
I'd also ask why we have calls over the weekend for complaints...my customers need to have the weekend to themselves so issues that are coming up over the weekend should be treated so that calls in that period are reduced to the barest minimum (win-win for my employees and customers)

And on and on and on...

A dashboard is like a gun. The capacity of the gun is quite important but not nearly as important as the skill or ability of the shooter.

Decent dashboard for me.

Thanks for the review boss. Really appreciate the insight you extracted from it.
The dashboard was simply a descriptive analysis and I strictly followed the project instructions in the course of building the dashboard.
Mere looking at it, someone could ask a lot of questions like you just did depending on the audience or purpose.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jan 31, 2022
Kaycee54321:

And on and on and on...

Decent dashboard for me.
Remind me of the Pearl Harbor movie despite all the analysis, the decision maker was still waiting to be absolutely sure that the Japanese would blow up their ass.. Unfortunately the Analyst can't make the call and that cost a lot of lives.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Amoto94(m): 6:00pm On Jan 31, 2022

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by movado19: 8:13pm On Jan 31, 2022
Raalsalghul:

We would appreciated one or two pointers. wink

Sure.

Data Visualisation is just a means and not the goal itself.
To understand the dashboard is the immediate goal.
To make good/better decisions is the ultimate goal.

Personally looking at the dashboard, a few things stick out to me which could be improved; such as:

1. No of calls.
Is this a "No" or "Number"? - The analyst will make the consumer of the dashboard to start guessing/wondering.
This is only acceptable if this is just for exploratory visualisation purposes within your team members and NOT for your primary stakeholders.

Are the 5000 calls daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly?

2. Answered calls 81%.
Is this daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly?
Is this by ALL the agents or only the top 5 agents?

3. Un-answered Call.
Is it un-answered or unanswered?
Is it call or calls?
Do unanswered calls mean that they were never answered or that they were never resolved?

4. No of Call Agent.
Is it "No" or "Number"?
Is it Call Agent or Call Agents?

5. Pickup Speed.
Is it the pickup speed of the agents or something else?
Is this number an average or some other aggregate?
Is this value is seconds or some other time function?

Never make your stakeholders think or guess what it is that you are conveying.

6. No. of Unresolved Calls by Topic.
The chart heading is not in alignment with the y-axis.
The heading is too dark...it should never take the shine away from the chart itself. Its job is to be descriptive enough.
The y-axis label (Topic) should be aligned with the first topic (Streaming).
The Y-axis label is too small and too dark. It should be in the background and not in your face.
The topics are not aligned properly...a lot of shifting and some are broken off, so one can't completely read and comprehend what it means.
There should be proper white space between the topics and the chart itself.
The chart is lovely as a horizontal bar chart.
The chart labels would have been a bit bigger and cleaner if they were centered within the bars...this is not the case, except for the first bar.

7. Trends of Calls Per Month.
Are these "Answered Calls" or "Un-Answered Calls"?
A better description would have been "Monthly Call Trend", "Call Trend by Month", "Call Trend" and then "Monthly" as a subheading.
No need for the x-axis label since the chart descriptor has already done that job for you.
Yes, one can see a downward then continuous trend over the three months, but...
Where is the story to support the downward trend?
Where is the story to support the continuous trend?
WHAT exactly do you want the stakeholder(s) to do with this chart? Is it a call to action:
to hire more agents?
to train the agents better?
to shift non-essential work from the agents' plates so they can have more time dedicated to answering calls?
where they out sick, hence the drop?
Is this to support management's decision to lay off the bottom performers?

There is nothing in this chart to point one in a certain direction.

8. Calls Rate round the Week
It would be better to use the upper case for only the start of the heading.
Since they are just two - weekday and weekend - then a simple text visual to display the call rates respectively would have sufficed.
No need for the x-axis as it is sort of redundant here.
Again, this would have been an opportunity to support your visual with the appropriate story of:
WHY and WHAT decision(s) you would expect the stakeholders to take.
Are the agents expected to work on weekends as per the company's policy?
Is the weekday rate as expected, above or below average?
Is the weekend rate as expected or above or below the average?

It is not enough that you create a chart as an analyst...what point are you trying to drive home?

9. Answered calls by Top 5 Agent
The heading is not aligned with the y-axis.
There should be uniformity in the case type of the chart heading.
Since the top 5 agents have almost the same values, then a simple text visual to display their average call would have sufficed.
The supporting story for it would have been the names of the 5 agents and what stands them apart.
Is this a chart to recommend training for the low-performing agents?

Always use a chart to drive home the main reason(s) for its creation via a story.

10. Hourly Calls Trend
The y-axis has no explanatory label.
A slope graph would have been better for easier visual and understanding.
A heat map would have also been a better option for a cleaner visual and better understanding.
Again, what message do you want to drive home to the consumers of the visual?
There are no pre-attentive attributes to capture the steep downward trend of the last call hour(s).
WHAT story narrates the reason for the steep downward trend?
WHAT call to action are you proposing to the stakeholders to carry out?

It is not enough that you create charts as an analyst...
what point are you trying to drive home?
what call to action are you proposing?
what decision(s) are you trying to influence?
Be a change agent in order to set yourself apart.

This dashboard maybe be okay in your company for now, but do think about if you were hired in another company to create visuals that will appear in a highly influential international magazine with data-savvy clients across the globe...would your visuals pass, or not?

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by haryomikun(m): 9:18pm On Jan 31, 2022
Eskhalil:

I don't think that book is enough for python.
I started learning python last week. Its a wonderful experience I can say. I use these:
SoloLearn app.
Learn python the hard way PDF
Automate boring stuffs with python. I have the PDF file but I've not opened it yet. I realized the author made a lot of video courses which are available on Telegram.
If you have Telegram, I have a lot of useful links for you.

I actually already use Coursera to learn. I just used the ebook to further explain stuff that the Coursera course skipped.

I’ll check out the Learn Python the Hard way ebook to see how it compares to Automate the Boring Python.

Thanks for the advice chief

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by haryomikun(m): 9:27pm On Jan 31, 2022
movado19:

This is surprisingly insightful in a very simple way smiley
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by haryomikun(m): 9:30pm On Jan 31, 2022
ebixy:

LinkedIn. Lots of job postings and you get to connect and interact with like-minds from around the world.

Thanks a lot chief. I assumed getting jobs from LinkedIn wouldn’t be viable since it’s so popular and open. But a friend of mine reiterated what you just said

I’ll try to better my LinkedIn profile tonight right away!!! smiley
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by haryomikun(m): 9:34pm On Jan 31, 2022
movado19:

Sure.

Data Visualisation is just a means and not the goal itself.
To understand the dashboard is the immediate goal.
To make good/better decisions is the ultimate goal.

Personally looking at the dashboard, a few things stick out to me which could be improved; such as:

1. No of calls.
Is this a "No" or "Number"? - The analyst will make the consumer of the dashboard to start guessing/wondering.
This is only acceptable if this is just for exploratory visualisation purposes within your team members and NOT for your primary stakeholders.

Are the 5000 calls daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly?

2. Answered calls 81%.
Is this daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly?
Is this by ALL the agents or only the top 5 agents?

3. Un-answered Call.
Is it un-answered or unanswered?
Is it call or calls?
Do unanswered calls mean that they were never answered or that they were never resolved?

4. No of Call Agent.
Is it "No" or "Number"?
Is it Call Agent or Call Agents?

5. Pickup Speed.
Is it the pickup speed of the agents or something else?
Is this number an average or some other aggregate?
Is this value is seconds or some other time function?

Never make your stakeholders think or guess what it is that you are conveying.

6. No. of Unresolved Calls by Topic.
The heading is too dark...it should never take the shine away from the chart itself. Its job is to be descriptive enough.
The y-axis label (Topic) should be aligned with the first topic (Streaming).
The Y-axis label is too small and too dark. It should be in the background and not in your face.
The topics are not aligned properly...a lot of shifting and some are broken off, so one can't completely read and comprehend what it means.
There should be proper white space between the topics and the chart itself.
The chart is lovely as a horizontal bar chart.
The chart labels would have been a bit bigger and cleaner if they were centered within the bars...this is not the case, except for the first bar.

7. Trends of Calls Per Month.
Are these "Answered Calls" or "Un-Answered Calls"?
A better description would have been "Monthly Call Trend", "Call Trend by Month", "Call Trend" and then "Monthly" as a subheading.
No need for the x-axis label since the chart descriptor has already done that job for you.
Yes, one can see a downward then continuous trend over the three months, but...
Where is the story to support the downward trend?
Where is the story to support the continuous trend?
WHAT exactly do you want the stakeholder(s) to do with this chart? Is it a call to action:
to hire more agents?
to train the agents better?
to shift non-essential work from the agents' plates so they can have more time dedicated to answering calls?
where they out sick, hence the drop?
Is this to support management's decision to lay off the bottom performers?

There is nothing in this chart to point one in a certain direction.

8. Calls Rate round the Week
It would be better to use the upper case for only the start of the heading.
Since they are just two - weekday and weekend - then a simple text visual to display the call rates respectively would have sufficed.
No need for the x-axis as it is sort of redundant here.
Again, this would have been an opportunity to support your visual with the appropriate story of:
WHY and WHAT decision(s) you would expect the stakeholders to take.
Are the agents expected to work on weekends as per the company's policy?
Is the weekday rate as expected, above or below average?
Is the weekend rate as expected or above or below the average?

It is not enough that you create a chart as an analyst...what point are you trying to drive home?

9. Answered calls by Top 5 Agent
There should be uniformity in the case type of the chart heading.
Since the top 5 agents have almost the same values, then a simple text visual to display their average call would have sufficed.
The supporting story for it would have been the names of the 5 agents and what stands them apart.
Is this a chart to recommend training for the low-performing agents?

Always use a chart to drive home the main reason(s) for its creation via a story.

10. Hourly Calls Trend
The y-axis has no explanatory label.
A slope graph would have been better for easier visual and understanding.
A heat map would have also been a better option for a cleaner visual and better understanding.
Again, what message do you want to drive home to the consumers of the visual?
There are no pre-attentive attributes to capture the steep downward trend of the last call hour(s).
WHAT story narrates the reason for the steep downward trend?
WHAT call to action are you proposing to the stakeholders to carry out?

It is not enough that you create charts as an analyst...
what point are you trying to drive home?
what call to action are you proposing?
what decision(s) are you trying to influence?
Be a change agent in order to set yourself apart.

This dashboard maybe be okay in your company for now, but do think about if you were hired in another company to create visuals that will appear in a highly influential international magazine with data-savvy clients across the globe...would your visuals pass, or not?

Jesus!!!! You really took your time to dissect this thing! Man, I’m really liking this, honestly.

I used to assume the bulk of the work was done on MS Excel but here you are, proving me wrong

I’ll probably need to revisit those DAX formulas and Power Queries I learned for Power BI
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Heyf: 10:44pm On Feb 01, 2022
Please recommend YouTube playlist to learn python for data analysis please??
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 11:21pm On Feb 02, 2022
Heyf:
Please recommend YouTube playlist to learn python for data analysis please??
I think " Learning Python the Hard way by Zed Shaw" is a good book if you have the time and you plan to use python beyond data science ... The YouTube video might be sometime confusing , I know M**h gave me headache at a point in his course.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Heyf: 11:49pm On Feb 02, 2022
jackcanfield:

I think " Learning Python the Hard way by Zed Shaw" is a good book if you have the time and you plan to use python beyond data science ... The YouTube video might be sometime confusing , I know M**h gave me headache at a point in his course.

Thank youuu
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 11:16am On Feb 03, 2022
Heyf:

Thank youuu
You are welcome, Barton Poulson channel on youtube can help you navigate through the book
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by kunleiky(m): 1:36am On Feb 04, 2022
Eawwal:

I just made research on postgresql and I think I'd settle for it. Do you have materials I can use to learn.
If you want to learn PostgreSQL with books, I'll suggest you go for
Practical SQL by Anthony de Barros. You will enjoy reading it

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by tatatar: 11:10am On Feb 04, 2022
jackcanfield:

Thank you , I would read through it.
You can forget about gaining deep insights about these concepts for now; it will likely only confuse you the more. Just follow the rules on when and how they should be used. Along the way,the more you code the more depths of insights you'd gain about these concepts.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by harsysky(m): 2:04pm On Feb 04, 2022
Please who , in lagos, has been ale to get those videos from
mcemmy0z? I wouldn't mind coming tomorrow to get them. mcemmy0z, pls, I sent you a dm.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by mcemmy0z: 2:59pm On Feb 04, 2022
harsysky:
Please who , in lagos, has been ale to get those videos from
mcemmy0z? I wouldn't mind coming tomorrow to get them. mcemmy0z, pls, I sent you a dm.
I'm no longer in Lagos
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by harsysky(m): 3:04pm On Feb 04, 2022
mcemmy0z:

I'm no longer in Lagos

Are you still in sango ota?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by mcemmy0z: 7:09pm On Feb 04, 2022
harsysky:

Are you still in sango ota?
No
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by harsysky(m): 7:37pm On Feb 04, 2022
mcemmy0z:

No

Alright, thanks. I was actually looking for a way to get those videos you posted on this thread.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by billagreen(m): 6:59am On Feb 05, 2022
Anybody who has videos relevant to the tutorials or even the one specifically mentioned by Ejiod like 'Kirill' should signigy
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by anayolity: 12:59am On Feb 06, 2022
mhizcutie:
I saw this thread last year and it was the finally icing on my cake to go into Data Analysis. I just got my system and I'm ready to take off, I wish there are beginners like me here who can walk this journey with me. Thank you to the op who started this God bless you.

Can we walk through this together??

Can I DM you....been trying to learn excel for God knows how long, maybe we can learn together
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Edipet(m): 5:04pm On Feb 07, 2022
Please i am New into Data science,..i have gone some pages of this thread,.... please some should recommend a good youtube channel for me and a good book to start with. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Edipet(m): 5:17pm On Feb 07, 2022
GidiCars:

I have this pdf, drop your mail. I will share them with you.
please i be glad if you can send it to me too,.. ediong4ever@gmail.com
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by mhizcutie(f): 2:00pm On Feb 08, 2022
anayolity:

Can we walk through this together??

Can I DM you....been trying to learn excel for God knows how long, maybe we can learn together
Sure we can I'll be thrilled WhatsApp
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by wonyi: 9:49pm On Feb 08, 2022
schopps:

Hi. I'm interested.

I am interested
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by wonyi: 9:54pm On Feb 08, 2022
maker1234567:

Zelo eight zelo tiri 2 serven 6 wan 6 zelo
eight.

Connect me tru the above let create a grp.
Thnks

I am interested please
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by wonyi: 9:56pm On Feb 08, 2022
BoomBucks:

My brother studied Chemical engineering but what's feeding him today is programming. He's working for a top firm in Lagos as a programmer. Mind you, he learnt these skills online via YouTube.

I studied mathematics and I've been teaching ever since. Though I got a job in the bank as a customer care representative but I had to quit because I couldn't fake and smile unnecessarily. I told my bro I wanna learn programming and he encouraged me to go for data science, data mining and not web development. His reason was that, data science/mining is related to my field and that I'll learn faster.

I've been lazy in the data science stuff because I kind of enjoy teaching and the pay is not that bad. However, I'll be starting my data classes next year.

On your matter, statistics and maths are very related. In fact, it may be argued that you have the advantage as a statistician.

I'll encourage you to go for it. I'm going for it too, I just don't know how I'm gonna combine my teaching, masters program and data science classes.

I wish you good luck on your data science journey!!!

Bro Good evening, have you registered for your class as a data scientist? What is the cost? What is the duration?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by wonyi: 10:02pm On Feb 08, 2022
maker1234567:
Port Harcourt based aspiring and professional Data Scientist/Python Programmers, can we form a community? . Mayb create a whatsapp group and once in while we can meet up.
Thnks

interested
Zero eight zero three seven four one nine two six eight

(1) (2) (3) ... (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) ... (146) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.