Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,210 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:46 AM

Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst - Programming (115) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst (331332 Views)

Chronicle Of A Data/cloud Engineer / Net Salary For A Data Analyst Or Scientist Or Web Dev / Aspiring Data Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (146) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 11:05pm On Jan 27, 2022
Eawwal:
I stumbled on this thread a week after I started my journey into data science, I started with phyton, after going through the whole thread, I had to put python on hold and I started learning excel, I've now mastered excel and also power Bi, the only issue I have now is DAX formulas, I believe I'd improve on that as time goes on.

I'm moving onto sql, I haven't decided which one to go for between mysql and mssql. I need advice.

I'll advise you move to SQL.

Learning DAX formulas can be a little bit niche and not many analyst adverts demand for it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Eawwal(m): 7:22am On Jan 28, 2022
Raalsalghul:

I'll advise you move to SQL.

Learning DAX formulas can be a little bit niche and not many analyst adverts demand for it.

I'd do that.
Thanks �
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Eawwal(m): 7:23am On Jan 28, 2022
Kenny242:

Why not go for postgresql
I just made research on postgresql and I think I'd settle for it. Do you have materials I can use to learn.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Homeboiy: 9:02am On Jan 28, 2022
Raalsalghul:

Try below link;

https://www.youtube.com/user/ExcelIsFun

Thanks

I must finish excel before the end of 2 weeks
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by haryomikun(m): 10:23am On Jan 28, 2022
Raalsalghul:

Start with SQL (Over 95 per cent of Data Analyst roles require this skill). There are many RDBMS you can use to learn but MySQL is the most common.

Then learn Excel with emphasis on (Look-up and Statistics functions, referencing, conditional formatting, power query for cleaning data, pivot tables for summarizing data, power pivot for modelling and then DAX).

Followed by PowerBI or Tableau: you'll use these tools to visualize the results of your SQL queries. I personally prefer PowerBI as it's more robust in function.

People mention Python a lot, but I've seen many Data Analyst vacancies excluding it in their requirements (emphasis on "Data Analyst"wink). Nonetheless you can add it to your skill set if you want to go the Data Science Route or just for personal development purposes. Learn the basics first and then move on its libraries: Numpy, Pandas, Matplotlib and Seaborn. There's also the Scikit learn library for its machine learning capabilities.

If you can master the first 3, you're job ready: then scale up your knowledge from there.

This advice is beautiful!

I’ve learned MySQL, Excel, Power BI and Cognos Analytics (with certifications from Coursera)

I’ve also completed a data analysis project on 2015 Economic Data

How do you suggest I start looking for jobs boss? I talked to someone in the tech world (a web dev) yesterday and he said he doesn’t really know anyone who got a job through Ng Indeed.com, meaning the chances of getting a job there may be narrow or something
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by haryomikun(m): 10:40am On Jan 28, 2022
Raalsalghul:

Try below link;

https://www.youtube.com/user/ExcelIsFun

@Homeboiy I recommend this Youtube link too. Dude is one of the best teachers on YouTube and you’ll learn the concept very quickly depending on how dedicated you are

Navigate to his Excel Basics Playlist…
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Kenny242(m): 3:08pm On Jan 28, 2022
Eawwal:

I just made research on postgresql and I think I'd settle for it. Do you have materials I can use to learn.
Well i use amigoscode(YouTube) = he uses sqlshell , while programminguru(YouTube) = he uses both shell(promt) and pgAdmin

I still don’t know which one is better to use weather the shell(promt) or the GUI(pgAdmin).
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by haryomikun(m): 3:17pm On Jan 28, 2022
ebixy:

The bottom of the pyramid is saturated right now. Go on LinkedIn and almost every knows how to use those tools (Excel, Power BI, Tableau), the competition is very very high.

Our target should be the global job market, not just the Nigerian job market where opportunities are few. Gather as many skills and tools as possible and be good at them.

But I get your point and it is valid. Start somewhere and grow from there with time. SQL, Statistics, Excel, PowerBI, and Python (Pandas, Numpy, Matplotlib) are enough to enter the industry.

Omo, this thing you said about the bottom of the pyramid just made me weak. I started my job search as a data analyst this eeek

I’m proficient in the aforementioned skills including MySQL. I’m however, in the process of learning Python by reading the ‘Automate the Boring Python’ book and looking to start with R since my course in the university teaches statistics and probability

Let’s assume I become a professional data scientist and want to pivot to the level of getting a foreign job, which platform do you recommend?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Homeboiy: 5:35pm On Jan 28, 2022
haryomikun:

@Homeboiy I recommend this Youtube link too. Dude is one of the best teachers on YouTube and you’ll learn the concept very quickly depending on how dedicated you are

Navigate to his Excel Basics Playlist…

Thanks bro

I like the feedbacks

I will attend to it

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SonOfNobody: 9:11pm On Jan 28, 2022
Help a brother guys

I'm having issue with Power BI visualization

I was able to visualize the excel document recommended in Power BI tutorial video but I'm having issue with visualizing my own excel document in Power BI. Please what would I do to be able to visualize my own excel document?

Or which video could you recommend?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Felixitie(m): 9:43pm On Jan 28, 2022
SonOfNobody:
Help a brother guys

I'm having issue with Power BI visualization

I was able to visualize the excel document recommended in Power BI tutorial video but I'm having issue with visualizing my own excel document in Power BI. Please what would I do to be able to visualize my own excel document?

What problem are you facing specifically and at what stage? Kindly describe
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SonOfNobody: 10:14pm On Jan 28, 2022
Felixitie:

What problem are you facing specifically and at what stage? Kindly describe

At the visualisation stage, It was displaying like a text but when I used the data used in the YouTube video, It visualized perfectly.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by absool(m): 11:56pm On Jan 28, 2022
Please w3schools a good place to learn data science?

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Prosperity4All: 1:17am On Jan 29, 2022
Eawwal:

Download the SimpliLearn app on playstore and navigate to the Intro to SQL course.
MySQL is the way to go for beginners. And there only exist Syntax difference between size it and MS-SQL or PostGRE. However the app I recommended has a chapter dedicated to PostGRE teaching what you need to know in addition.
It's easier understanding MySQL workbench and transitioning to PgAdmin than the reverse
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by mhizcutie(f): 5:37am On Jan 29, 2022
I saw this thread last year and it was the finally icing on my cake to go into Data Analysis. I just got my system and I'm ready to take off, I wish there are beginners like me here who can walk this journey with me. Thank you to the op who started this God bless you.

5 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Felixitie(m): 7:38am On Jan 29, 2022
SonOfNobody:

At the visualisation stage, It was displaying like a text but when I used the data used in the YouTube video, It visualized perfectly.

Probably you are not using the correct data type in your table in powerbi. Also try to check if your values are not 'summarised', or aggregated by default otherwise you will have to change it. Are you using the right chart?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SonOfNobody: 10:33am On Jan 29, 2022
Felixitie:

Probably you are not using the correct data type in your table in powerbi. Also try to check if your values are not 'summarised', or aggregated by default otherwise you will have to change it. Are you using the right chart?

Yes sir

I got the data from PWC Power BI virtual internship and I just realized it is for call centre agents analysis. I will try and watch videos on it.

Thanks for your intervention sir.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by tolajay: 11:05am On Jan 29, 2022
Well done, guys.

May i ask, what's the difference between Business Analysis, Data Analysis and Data Science?

I see different courses online along those three lines and they seem intertwined.

At first, I thought I'd be best fitted in Data Analytics but seeing this video frim Alex changed my mind towards Business Analytics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4syHs3M82E

My question is: what's the difference between Business Analysis, Data Analysis and Data Science?

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Felixitie(m): 12:05pm On Jan 29, 2022
SonOfNobody:

Yes sir

I got the data from PWC Power BI virtual internship and I just realized it is for call centre agents analysis. I will try and watch videos on it.

Thanks for your intervention sir.

I have worked on this actual dataset before, using powerbi. It is a straight forward thing bro. I did without watching a video. Follow the insights you are asked to get.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jan 29, 2022
I need someone to give me an analogy of a class , object, method , function,inheritance etc

When something is an instance of something what do it mean.

I do know how to code but I am yet to grab this basic simple english

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Prinss: 3:13pm On Jan 29, 2022
jackcanfield:
I need someone to give me an analogy of a class , object, method , function,inheritance etc

When something is an instance of something what do it mean.

I do know how to code but I am yet to grab this basic simple english

Using type of nouns as an analogy.

A class is like a common noun e.g man. But a man is not specific and can refer to several adullt male.

That's where Object comes in, example Ade.

So, to summarize, a class is like a template for creating several objects with specific features.

Man(class)
Ade(object)
Musa(object)
Kazim(object)...

A function is simply a block of codes grouped to perform a specific task. The grouping is simply to allow repetitive usage.

Inheritance is defining a class(child) in such a way that it re-uses the attributes of an already defined class (base)

Instance, depends on context. It could refer to occurrence or type. E.g isinstance("str1ng", str) will return true (python). Since "str1ng" is a string (str) data type.

Ps: I'm lazy typing
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Eskhalil: 3:17pm On Jan 29, 2022
haryomikun:

Omo, this thing you said about the bottom of the pyramid just made me weak. I started my job search as a data analyst this eeek

I’m proficient in the aforementioned skills including MySQL. I’m however, in the process of learning Python by reading the ‘Automate the Boring Python’ book and looking to start with R since my course in the university teaches statistics and probability

Let’s assume I become a professional data scientist and want to pivot to the level of getting a foreign job, which platform do you recommend?

I don't think that book is enough for python.
I started learning python last week. Its a wonderful experience I can say. I use these:
SoloLearn app.
Learn python the hard way PDF
Automate boring stuffs with python. I have the PDF file but I've not opened it yet. I realized the author made a lot of video courses which are available on Telegram.
If you have Telegram, I have a lot of useful links for you.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Eskhalil: 3:20pm On Jan 29, 2022
mhizcutie:
I saw this thread last year and it was the finally icing on my cake to go into Data Analysis. I just got my system and I'm ready to take off, I wish there are beginners like me here who can walk this journey with me. Thank you to the op who started this God bless you.
I'm a beginner too. I've got a couple of resources and video lectures. I encourage you to use Telegram because it will cost me less data to share it compared to WhatsApp.
I'm in!
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jan 29, 2022
Prinss:

Using type of nouns as an analogy.

A class is like a common noun e.g man. But a man is not specific and can refer to several adullt male.

That's where Object comes in, example Ade.

So, to summarize, a class is like a template for creating several objects with specific features.

Man(class)
Ade(object)
Musa(object)
Kazim(object)...

A function is simply a block of codes grouped to perform a specific task. The grouping is simply to allow repetitive usage.

Inheritance is defining a class(child) in such a way that it re-uses the attributes of an already defined class (base)

Instance, depends on context. It could refer to occurrence or type. E.g isinstance("str1ng", str) will return true (python). Since "str1ng" is a string (str) data type.

Ps: I'm lazy typing

Thank you , I would read through it.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Eskhalil: 3:22pm On Jan 29, 2022
absool:
Please w3schools a good place to learn data science?
Download SoloLearn on PlayStore
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SonOfNobody: 5:16pm On Jan 29, 2022
Felixitie:

I have worked on this actual dataset before, using powerbi. It is a straight forward thing bro. I did without watching a video. Follow the insights you are asked to get.

Wow! This is nice, I will do that sir
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SonOfNobody: 5:58pm On Jan 29, 2022
Felixitie:

Could you share me the link to the insight because I didn't see it there?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Heyf: 9:28pm On Jan 29, 2022
Please can someone recommend a YouTube playlist to learn phyton for data analysis.

I'm done with Excel, MySQL and power bi...

Please any python for data analysis videos on YouTube?

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by ebixy(m): 12:01am On Jan 30, 2022
haryomikun:

LinkedIn. Lots of job postings and you get to connect and interact with like-minds from around the world.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by movado19: 1:38am On Jan 30, 2022
Felixitie:

Gosh! I am just like those people who like to burst pimples or blackheads on other people's faces once sighted, but this time around with data visualisation, lol cheesy

I see a whole lot not right with this dashboard...they are the things that make the intended audience NEVER take action, even after all the time spend putting the charts together.

A lot of "hardcore" data people think its beneath them to put in the effort when it comes to visualisations, forgetting that this is the "PLATING OF THE DISH" for the audience and if not done correctly, then all the work done from inception falls into the drain.
You are practically engaing with the brain of people who have very little attention to give...
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SonOfNobody: 2:55pm On Jan 30, 2022
Felixitie:

I have been able to visualize the data sir

Thanks so much

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (146) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.