Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

My Experience Teaching In Zaria - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Experience Teaching In Zaria (24555 Views)

A Teacher Narrated His Experience Teaching In the classroom the UK / Teachers In The House, How's It Like Teaching In A Secondary School / Instagram Slay Queen Spotted Teaching In A Secondary School In Delta (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by princeadams11: 6:43pm On Oct 23, 2019
adekunle0000:
I was born and raised in the southern part of Nigeria; Lagos to be precised. I had my first degree in eastern Nigeria. The National Youth Service Corp program offered me my first ever opportunity to visit the North.

I served in Taraba State. A very beautiful state that I will love to visit again someday. Infact, my pleasant experience in Taraba was a principal factor in my decision to pursue my Master's degree in a Northern University. I finally settled for the Prestigious Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.

To help cushion the cost of a second degree, I undertook the job of a teacher in one of the many "secular" secondary schools (Name withheld) in Zaira. I was assigned to teach "Social Studies" to the Junior classes from Jss1-3. Then "English" and on not-too-frequent occasions "Government", to the Senior classes from Ss1-3.

I had my very first lesson with the Jss 3 on Monday; considering that I was taking over from a teacher who had started with them from Week One. The topic i treated was "Harmful Cultural Practices". We have "Female Genital Mutilation" as a subtopic; which was actually what I taught.
I took time to explain to the students what "Female Genital Mutilation" also known as "Female Circumcision" was all about. I explained the underlying reasons why the natives had to introduce it, what they had hoped to achieve and the resulting problems they created. In other to be better understood, I drew a mock diagram of a female anatomy on the blackboard. This was geared towards a proper understanding of the differences between Partial Circumcision (Scarification) and Complete Mutilation.

In the course of the lesson, the students exhibited some form of childish repulsions, which I attributed to the very nature of the subject-matter. On my part, I tried as much as possible to stick to the topic without cracking jokes or even laugh at jokes from them. Many even asked inquisitive and probing questions. I only answered those that I considered relevant to the issue of discuss. I left the class with some of the students still showing signs of repulsion.
My next lesson was with the Jss 1. The topic was "Marriage". I tested the class previous knowledge by asking them what they understand by the word "Marriage". A female student stood up to defined marriage as a "union between a man and a woman". I asked the entire class to clap for her, given her very bold attempt. But to their bewilderment, I told the class that she was wrong after they were done clapping. Some of them even protested; inquiring why I adjuged her to be wrong.

I told the class that her definition was wrong because it did not sufficiently capture the very essence of the concept as it applies to our contemporary times. I told them that marriage is rather "a legal union between two consenting adults", "....it could either be between two people of the same gender or two opposing genders".
At this point, I had their undivided attention. They were all hushed and concentrated. I told them about the LGBTQ community and their persistent struggle for acceptance.

I made them understand that is a global community with a global agenda. To drive home my point, I made them understand that the last dispensation of Goodluck Jonathan, had infact blamed this global phenomenon to be principally responsible for his failure at the polls as result of his refusal to give consent. I equally put in the same energy to explain the more common types of marriage (Christian, Islamic, Traditional, and Court). I left my class feeling every earned sense of fulfillment; having done my job to the best of my ability.

THE NEXT DAY.

I was in my office, when I got a message that the Director wants to see me. It was not my first time of receiving such a call from the Director. Staff meetings were almost becoming as frequent as one going to make use of the Convenience. Well... I took it like "Nwa it's nothing" ( in Phyno's voice). I stood up from my chair, adjusted my belt and then, swaggered away towards the Director's Office.

Before the office of the Director is the office of his secretary. The population of parents I saw there was quite more than what we normally receive on a daily bases. But considering that for the past week, we have been emphatic on the need for school fees debtors to come effect their payment, I didn't give their presence much thought. I was infact glad that at least, Madam will no longer hold us responsible for the poor response of parents to this obligation.

My indifference soon started giving way to some form of anxiety; more like fear, when I began to notice the "sea of eyes" looking my way with every step I took towards the Director's Office. As I got closer to the door, I discovered that the population in the Director's Office was even more that the spillover outside. I could feel the suppressed tension in the air. The faces were not bright or even welcoming to say the least. They did not appear to me like those who came to pay school fees.

I was able to excuse my way into the Secretary's Office. The Director motioned for me to come into his office at once, as soon as he saw me making my way in. He wasn't sitting on his chair. Standing with him as I was latter told is the School PTA chairman. A very respectable man judging by his outward disposition. He was an elderly man; infact the oldest among the lot.
As soon as the Director motioned me in, the crowd standing between me and the Director's Office just parted in two like the Red Sea to make way for me. I felt my heart sink into my stomach. My legs instantly felt heavy. But I had myself under strict comportment. My face were without emotions. Afterall, I was guilty of nothing (or so I thought).

As I walked into the office, the elder man (PTA chairman) was looking almost piercingly at me. As if sizing me up. My presence caught him in the middle of his address to the gathering.
My Director asked me to take a seat; which I did. I infact, sat at the edge of my seat, still wondering why I was the only teacher that was called to such a gathering of not-so-happy-looking parents. My Director (also an elderly Muslim man) sensing my apprehension, asked me to relax with what I considered to be a mischievous grim on his face. Well...I knew better than to do as instructed. I was on guard.
The first question I was asked was "How long have you been in the North?".

"About 15 months Sir" I replied as loud enough as my dried throat will permit me. "The first 12 months was at Jalingo and just 3 months in Zaria." i quickly added emphatically.

"Where were you born?"
"Lagos but I did my first degree in the East. My family is still based in Lagos"
"Are you Igbo?"
"Yes Sir"
There was a little thoughtful pause after that answer. Then he continued..
"What brought you to Zaira?"
"I'm a student of ABU and I'm here for my Master's degree program Sir"
"That's good" he said thoughtfully as he continued to gaze at me as if studying my disposition.
The others just continue to look as us without saying a word. A few of them (matured men) were occupying the few seats in the office. The rest (mostly the hijab wearing women and young fathers) were standing.
"Our Children came home to complain that you are teaching them bad things. That you are saying negative things that they don't like in class. What is it that you are teaching them?"
At this moment, I almost felt like bursting out in laughter. I had to pinch myself to remain composed.

Well...to cut the story short, I took time to explain to the parents what it was that I taught. The Director even sent for my textbooks without allowing me to go get them myself. I don't know if they were nursing the impression that I might escape. Funny them! Escape for what? Mtcheeeu!

When my textbooks came, it was confirmed that I had actually taught in accordance to the dictates of the textbook for the case of the Jss3. As for the Jss1, the topic was actually confirmed to be on marriage too, but the textbook (which was an old textbook of course) was silent on the issue of same sex marriage.

I was given a very strict warning to stick only to the content of the textbook. In the course of all of the admonishment, the PTA Chairman was smiling, but I knew better than to take the smiles for their face value. This people were dead serious!

I have since swore to myself, that I shall never try to "do pass myself". if I teach and you understand....fine! if you don't.... that's your cup of tea! I can't come and kill myself.
This was my experience! I felt compelled to write it down in order to help save someone somewhere from falling into my kind of situation. That is wasn't attacked by the parents is infact a miracle that I thank God and the respectable PTA chairman for. My intentions were pure. But here in the North, intentions can easily be misinterpreted especially when coming from a non-muslim and worst still, from a Nyamiri.
I personally think there is still a need for mass sensitisation of the Northerner on the usefulness of Western Education. The illiteracy rate is high. Those that even manage to go to school are just doing it with the impression that it is merely to fulfill all righteousness. Little wonder why we keep discovering "torture houses" on a daily bases. If the University community of Zaria could be this timid, how much more the Northern interiors.

Thank you.
There is more to this story ooo. Its well

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by webngnews: 6:50pm On Oct 23, 2019
Oh
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by abdulazeez1002(m): 6:50pm On Oct 23, 2019
ArticleBeast:

Because I am from Nigeria and everywhere is my homeland. Secondly, because I have not seen someone disappear doesn't mean people don't disappear. This should clear your doubt
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-14858441

Thirdly, are you in support of taking a human beings life because they urinated close to a prayer ground? Then you are not different from a wild beast. Finally, on the issue of beating to death, this happened two years ago on a Friday around Danraka, Samaru. Also, the cutting of their fingers happened in Zaria City, I was there live and direct. Not hearsay. Infact one of the guys still come for ARV drugs where I work. Before, you say I am sentimental, this things still happen in the South apart from the lynching due to prayer ground urination.

Note: I don't give an f about religion whether christian, muslim, and tradition. I care about humanity and love towards one another. I was only trying to clarify the lady that these things happen
On your first paragraph, mtcheew

You are drifting from the point. Who are the people killing because of urinating near a prayer ground tongue

Imagine you are sighting an example that happen 2 years ago. Wtf

So you mean I can urinate on a church down the South

I care about Religion alot

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by chigoizie7(m): 6:56pm On Oct 23, 2019
adekunle0000:
I was born and raised in the southern part of Nigeria; Lagos to be precised. I had my first degree in eastern Nigeria. The National Youth Service Corp program offered me my first ever opportunity to visit the North.

I served in Taraba State. A very beautiful state that I will love to visit again someday. Infact, my pleasant experience in Taraba was a principal factor in my decision to pursue my Master's degree in a Northern University. I finally settled for the Prestigious Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.

To help cushion the cost of a second degree, I undertook the job of a teacher in one of the many "secular" secondary schools (Name withheld) in Zaira. I was assigned to teach "Social Studies" to the Junior classes from Jss1-3. Then "English" and on not-too-frequent occasions "Government", to the Senior classes from Ss1-3.

I had my very first lesson with the Jss 3 on Monday; considering that I was taking over from a teacher who had started with them from Week One. The topic i treated was "Harmful Cultural Practices". We have "Female Genital Mutilation" as a subtopic; which was actually what I taught.
I took time to explain to the students what "Female Genital Mutilation" also known as "Female Circumcision" was all about. I explained the underlying reasons why the natives had to introduce it, what they had hoped to achieve and the resulting problems they created. In other to be better understood, I drew a mock diagram of a female anatomy on the blackboard. This was geared towards a proper understanding of the differences between Partial Circumcision (Scarification) and Complete Mutilation.

In the course of the lesson, the students exhibited some form of childish repulsions, which I attributed to the very nature of the subject-matter. On my part, I tried as much as possible to stick to the topic without cracking jokes or even laugh at jokes from them. Many even asked inquisitive and probing questions. I only answered those that I considered relevant to the issue of discuss. I left the class with some of the students still showing signs of repulsion.
My next lesson was with the Jss 1. The topic was "Marriage". I tested the class previous knowledge by asking them what they understand by the word "Marriage". A female student stood up to defined marriage as a "union between a man and a woman". I asked the entire class to clap for her, given her very bold attempt. But to their bewilderment, I told the class that she was wrong after they were done clapping. Some of them even protested; inquiring why I adjuged her to be wrong.

I told the class that her definition was wrong because it did not sufficiently capture the very essence of the concept as it applies to our contemporary times. I told them that marriage is rather "a legal union between two consenting adults", "....it could either be between two people of the same gender or two opposing genders".
At this point, I had their undivided attention. They were all hushed and concentrated. I told them about the LGBTQ community and their persistent struggle for acceptance.

I made them understand that is a global community with a global agenda. To drive home my point, I made them understand that the last dispensation of Goodluck Jonathan, had infact blamed this global phenomenon to be principally responsible for his failure at the polls as result of his refusal to give consent. I equally put in the same energy to explain the more common types of marriage (Christian, Islamic, Traditional, and Court). I left my class feeling every earned sense of fulfillment; having done my job to the best of my ability.

THE NEXT DAY.

I was in my office, when I got a message that the Director wants to see me. It was not my first time of receiving such a call from the Director. Staff meetings were almost becoming as frequent as one going to make use of the Convenience. Well... I took it like "Nwa it's nothing" ( in Phyno's voice). I stood up from my chair, adjusted my belt and then, swaggered away towards the Director's Office.

Before the office of the Director is the office of his secretary. The population of parents I saw there was quite more than what we normally receive on a daily bases. But considering that for the past week, we have been emphatic on the need for school fees debtors to come effect their payment, I didn't give their presence much thought. I was infact glad that at least, Madam will no longer hold us responsible for the poor response of parents to this obligation.

My indifference soon started giving way to some form of anxiety; more like fear, when I began to notice the "sea of eyes" looking my way with every step I took towards the Director's Office. As I got closer to the door, I discovered that the population in the Director's Office was even more that the spillover outside. I could feel the suppressed tension in the air. The faces were not bright or even welcoming to say the least. They did not appear to me like those who came to pay school fees.

I was able to excuse my way into the Secretary's Office. The Director motioned for me to come into his office at once, as soon as he saw me making my way in. He wasn't sitting on his chair. Standing with him as I was latter told is the School PTA chairman. A very respectable man judging by his outward disposition. He was an elderly man; infact the oldest among the lot.
As soon as the Director motioned me in, the crowd standing between me and the Director's Office just parted in two like the Red Sea to make way for me. I felt my heart sink into my stomach. My legs instantly felt heavy. But I had myself under strict comportment. My face were without emotions. Afterall, I was guilty of nothing (or so I thought).

As I walked into the office, the elder man (PTA chairman) was looking almost piercingly at me. As if sizing me up. My presence caught him in the middle of his address to the gathering.
My Director asked me to take a seat; which I did. I infact, sat at the edge of my seat, still wondering why I was the only teacher that was called to such a gathering of not-so-happy-looking parents. My Director (also an elderly Muslim man) sensing my apprehension, asked me to relax with what I considered to be a mischievous grim on his face. Well...I knew better than to do as instructed. I was on guard.

"About 15 months Sir" I replied as loud enough as my dried throat will permit me. "The first 12 months was at Jalingo and just 3 months in Zaria." i quickly added emphatically.

"Where were you born?"
"Lagos but I did my first degree in the East. My family is still based in Lagos"
"Are you Igbo?"
"Yes Sir"
"That's good" he said thoughtfully as he continued to gaze at me as if studying my disposition.
The others just continue to look as us without saying a word. A few of them (matured men) were occupying the few seats in the office. The rest (mostly the hijab wearing women and young fathers) were standing.
"Our Children came home to complain that you are teaching them bad things. That you are saying negative things that they don't like in class. What is it that you are teaching them?"
At this moment, I almost felt like bursting out in laughter. I had to pinch myself to remain composed.

Well...to cut the story short, I took time to explain to the parents what it was that I taught. The Director even sent for my textbooks without allowing me to go get them myself. I don't know if they were nursing the impression that I might escape. Funny them! Escape for what? Mtcheeeu!

When my textbooks came, it was confirmed that I had actually taught in accordance to the dictates of the textbook for the case of the Jss3. As for the Jss1, the topic was actually confirmed to be on marriage too, but the textbook (which was an old textbook of course) was silent on the issue of same sex marriage.

I was given a very strict warning to stick only to the content of the textbook. In the course of all of the admonishment, the PTA Chairman was smiling, but I knew better than to take the smiles for their face value. This people were dead serious!

I have since swore to myself, that I shall never try to "do pass myself". if I teach and you understand....fine! if you don't.... that's your cup of tea! I can't come and kill myself.
This was my experience! I felt compelled to write it down in order to help save someone somewhere from falling into my kind of situation. That is wasn't attacked by the parents is infact a miracle that I thank God and the respectable PTA chairman for. My intentions were pure. But here in the North, intentions can easily be misinterpreted especially when coming from a non-muslim and worst still, from a Nyamiri.
I personally think there is still a need for mass sensitisation of the Northerner on the usefulness of Western Education. The illiteracy rate is high. Those that even manage to go to school are just doing it with the impression that it is merely to fulfill all righteousness. Little wonder why we keep discovering "torture houses" on a daily bases. If the University community of Zaria could be this timid, how much more the Northern interiors.

Thank you.

They were correct. They did nothing to you because you taught what was in the text book, but also warned you to stick to the text books.

They are concerned parents, this shows that they are mindful of what their kids are being taught in schools.

Everything was in the text, except for the same sex marriage thing.

The last time we checked, that is very illegal in Nigeria. If the school curriculum wants you to teach that to the pupils, they would have made provisions for that. But they did not, apparently because it was illegal. You don’t teach people what is illegal. Even when you did, you didn’t tell them that it was illegal to practice such in Nigeria.

This is just like teaching Nigerian school children about medicinal herbs and then end up telling that marijuana is also medicinal and good simply because it is accepted in Canada and some states in the US. When we all know that it is illegal in Nigeria, but you chose to teach it because of modernization.

Next time, don’t go and do pass yourself.

13 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by tayebest(m): 6:56pm On Oct 23, 2019
bajeen:

Can you please cite an evidence where someone was lynched in Zaria for 'urinating near their prayerground'
Again, cite evidence on the thieves that were lynched ? Eventhough it's a frequent occurence here in the South

Leave him o! shocked

He thought he is the only one on Nairaland living in Zaria, grin grin

6 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Nobody: 6:59pm On Oct 23, 2019
adekunle0000:

the first issue here is your name. with that handle, you can only be construed as one of those tribalists who claims another tribe for mischievous purposes. 'i am a yoruba and we are not good people etc, etc '

it is not your business to push your own personal agenda and beliefs down the throats of children. i can only imagine all the rubbish you packed into your lecture. a lot of you kids do not understand that your personal beliefs and prejudices have no place in a classroom. you are there to impart what is in the book, not your own personal beliefs.

all you succeeded in doing was going beyond the boundaries of what they are taught, and creating confusion. so if the children face exams where they are asked t define marriage, and they start writing what you 'taught' them, do you think they will pass?

exactly what did you think would happen when children go home and tell their parents - today i was taught that men and men can marry?

i am not surprised that they were disturbed. who knows what you will tell the children tomorrow? who knows what funny questions the children will come home asking their parents? the funny thing is that you are so tribalistic and close minded that you do not realize this would be the exact same reaction you would get in the east or south. a child goes home and tells their parent - we learnt about homosexuals today. i will not be surprised if your attempt to teach backfired and they now see you as a closet gay. [telephone game]

the only thing i can pick from this is that you are the typical tribalist who cannot take responsibility for his/her actions.why don't you leave those illiterate kunu drinkers and pursue your course in UNN? there you can teach children the same thing and see if there will be no repercussions. you can also ask yourself why baby factories keep being discovered in your own advanced region.

12 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Bonapart(m): 6:59pm On Oct 23, 2019
SKhanmi:
I can see you're the type that's not really perceptive of their environment. Enlighten them,but not at the risk of your life. When you get overseas or to more liberal settings,go discuss LGBT issues with them. This is Nigeria, that is the north,most haven't even caught up with the 20th century yet much less the 21st. Many have died for less. By the way,from experience, expect your face & description to be passed about. You don buy market.
they should stop you from teaching in that school. Take your LGBTQ bvllshit elsewhere. Nonsense

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Obcglobal(m): 7:00pm On Oct 23, 2019
[But in nigeria legal definition of marriage there is nothing like man marrying man or woman marrying woman!!! You are teaching western education based on Nigeria principles OK. Yhsnks mouote author=adekunle0000 post=83378638]I was born and raised in the southern part of Nigeria; Lagos to be precised. I had my first degree in eastern Nigeria. The National Youth Service Corp program offered me my first ever opportunity to visit the North.

THE NEXT DAY.

"Where were you born?"
"Are you Igbo?"
"Yes Sir"

Thank you.[/quote]
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by chigoizie7(m): 7:01pm On Oct 23, 2019
calgaryFriend:

Iam editing the post as it seems the Op updated the post from when I first read it earlier, OP did actually teach the students about same sex marriage. But the insinuation that he could have been assaulted shows how babaric the north is.

I applaud the parents.

They did well by cautioning the said teacher on the same sex thing.

That same sex is illegal in Nigeria. She shouldn’t have even mentioned it and even if she did, she should have told them that it is never accepted in Nigeria.
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by tayebest(m): 7:02pm On Oct 23, 2019
ArticleBeast:

Because I am from Nigeria and everywhere is my homeland. Secondly, because I have not seen someone disappear doesn't mean people don't disappear. This should clear your doubt
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-14858441

Thirdly, are you in support of taking a human beings life because they urinated close to a prayer ground? Then you are not different from a wild beast. Finally, on the issue of beating to death, this happened two years ago on a Friday around Danraka, Samaru. Also, the cutting of their fingers happened in Zaria City, I was there live and direct. Not hearsay. Infact one of the guys still come for ARV drugs where I work. Before, you say I am sentimental, this things still happen in the South apart from the lynching due to prayer ground urination.

Note: I don't give an f about religion whether christian, muslim, and tradition. I care about humanity and love towards one another. I was only trying to clarify the lady that these things happen

Oga, the danraka scenario you mentioned is false! The said thief was only beaten to pulp not killed! Infact, it was not 'Northerners' that pull the jungle justice but students!

Una go just come online dey spew thrash, make una fear God na! angry

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Bloooody(m): 7:02pm On Oct 23, 2019
respect80:

It's good to know your intention to go extra miles in imparting knowledge didn't take your head from your neck. Nevertheless, be cautious of the north because like someone already said, most of them are still on the brinks of leaving the 20th century let alone the 21st.

Meanwhile, I hail o cheesy
You said you're an igbo (nyamiri) with adekunle as your moniker cheesy na people like you no dey know whether to choose between egusi or ogbolo for restaurants. Una go come dey shout mixing.
Must idiots like you always quote the OP
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Angelawhite(m): 7:04pm On Oct 23, 2019
Boringdraw1:
Fabricated lies. Can someone run nysc and masters concurrently? NO

Because you already had a biased mind, you failed to see where he mentioned he served in the North
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by BRATISLAVA: 7:05pm On Oct 23, 2019
dominique:

He was not assaulted was he? Some Southerners could have assaulted him if their kids come home to tell them that they're being taught about same sex marriage. Is it not in the same south that gays are striped naked, beaten up and paraded on the street? That's not barbaric? We lynch petty thieves down south while the Northerners hand thieves over to the police. Let's remove the logs from our eyes before removing the specs from the eyes of others. The op wants to make the northerners look uncivilized but he failed woefully
actually, they chop off the arms of thieves. It takes a lot to be a thief in certain places.
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Wagasigiungu(m): 7:06pm On Oct 23, 2019
adekunle0000:

Thank you.

This your write up reeks of ethno-religious bigotry. You hv spent just over a year in two towns of the entire northern Nigeria and you arrived at these conclusions.

You based all your write up on the wrong narrative the media portrays about the north- aggressive, uncultured, religious extremists, barbaric and blood thirsty illiterates. I am glad you think "so highly" of your host community and the parents of your students.

Pray tell, how did you arrive at the conclusion that "Those that even manage to go to school are just doing it with the impression that it is merely to fulfill all righteousness"? What is the relationship btw the torture houses you referred to and what happened in the school you teach?

You said the illiteracy level is high. Does having only western education only, qualify one to be categorised as being "literate"? You are wrong.

Pls keep an open mind about the north and you would love and enjoy your stay. The south and west are the more intolerant of other ethnic groups (particularly hausa/Fulani). The north is more receptive and accommodative IMO.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by LilMissFavvy(f): 7:09pm On Oct 23, 2019
So you are trying to say that same sex marriage as a topic is in their scheme of work/ a topic in their textbook? I don't believe that. If you imported something outside the scheme of work to teach, then the fault is yours as well. I am not doubting the backwardness/illiteracy of that region though.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Comanche(f): 7:10pm On Oct 23, 2019
abdulazeez1002:
Why would a sane man urinate close to someone prayer ground Do you even think before you type.
No religious person would take it lightly with you. it's animals that can do such.

The thieves that are killed rarely in the North are those that steal bikes. And it's because they always kill the bike riders to carry their bike

I grew up in Zaria. In my whole life I have never heard someone hand was cut off. Not even in Zaria but in the entire North.

One of the greatest past time in Nigeria is blame game. We always want to blame something for our problems, especially things we don't understand, things we despise and whatever our clique for the moment swings towards for the blame game.

If the North is that bad as you are trying to paint it, why haven't you gone back to your homelandgrin

Hi.

Please are you an Hausa person?
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by seniorkachion(m): 7:11pm On Oct 23, 2019
KingSatan:
You are very lucky my friend. Indeed very lucky!

I pray you leave there alive.

I have traveled round the 6 geopolitical zones and I can tell you for sure that you have been declared a Kafir.

The north never forgets.

I think it would be better if he resigned and be careful about the places outside the university he goes to.
He could be accosted by some youths and mauled.
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Johnnwokolo: 7:16pm On Oct 23, 2019
You had the intention of passing the wrong information to the students. Marriage in Nigeria is a union between a man and a woman, and not between two consenting adults. What you were trying to teach was to prepare the student for a sinister objective.

You should have been fired immediately.

This is Nigeria. Take that perversion somewhere else.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by maynation(f): 7:16pm On Oct 23, 2019
Hahaba Adekunle0000 hope it wasn't God's time secondary school?? cheesy
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Wagasigiungu(m): 7:16pm On Oct 23, 2019
dominique:

He was not assaulted was he? Some Southerners could have assaulted him if their kids come home to tell them that they're being taught about same sex marriage. Is it not in the same south that gays are striped naked, beaten up and paraded on the street? That's not barbaric? We lynch petty thieves down south while the Northerners hand thieves over to the police. Let's remove the logs from our eyes before removing the specs from the eyes of others. The op wants to make the northerners look uncivilized but he failed woefully

Thank you my sister. I am surprised people didn't notice this. The O. P is very much biased. His write up reeks of it, and this is coming from someone who is supposedly "educated". The north is far different from the stereotype most Nigerians would hv us believe.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by respect80(m): 7:17pm On Oct 23, 2019
Bloooody:

Must idiots like you always quote the OP

It's like you sold your self esteem on credit and the person never pay abi?

Your foolishness is touchable so I don't expect anything less from foolish fools like you.

Just go find food eat Las las u go dey alright.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by abdulazeez1002(m): 7:18pm On Oct 23, 2019
Comanche:

Hi.

Please are you an Hausa person?
Hello!

Yeah. Why are you asking?
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 23, 2019
adekunle0000:

THE NEXT DAY.

"Where were you born?"
"Are you Igbo?"
"Yes Sir"

Thank you.
You are an insensitive teacher. I am even more ashamed that you are from east, you are definitely very enlightened to know what to teach and what not. After all the nonsense gay you are trying so hard to force down their throat is illegal in Nigeria! Why then would you even call that rubbish a marriage when it is illegal. Your over sabi for kill you. Thank your stars its not Zamfara or Kano

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by melcv(m): 7:19pm On Oct 23, 2019
OP, you were not sensitive enough. Even in Southern Nigeria, same sex marriage is a sensitive topic talk less of the north.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Dechymmytv(f): 7:20pm On Oct 23, 2019
O.p you were wrong o, i understand how tolerant we southerners can be pertaining this issues, but that doesn't justify homosexuality in Nigeria, it is a punishable crime in Nigeria...

I suggest you thread with caution from now on, northerners dont forgive and forget... Them fit point you if matters arise.. Stay safe, you write also.. M

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by sinkhole: 7:21pm On Oct 23, 2019
"O nfi na sere o, o nfi na sere, this OP, o nfi na sere"
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Bloooody(m): 7:21pm On Oct 23, 2019
respect80:

It's like you sold your self esteem on credit and the person never pay abi?

Your foolishness is touchable so I don't expect anything less from foolish fools like you.

Just go find food eat Las las u go dey alright.
Same way sense departed from you, why would any normal human quote the OP with that long write-up?
Just because your father is daft doesn't mean you should be too.
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by EMDIEY: 7:21pm On Oct 23, 2019
Don't mind them that's how they keep instigating false tribalistic hateful sentiments into people. Zaria that I know, is one of the most peaceful and tolerant part of kd, with cultural diversity and multi ethnic presence. Contrary to the fear usually portrayed on madia about the north, from my experience if u respect and conduct yourself well the hausas will accord you your due respect.
To the op, the 1st thing u should learn, if u want to go far in this life, irrespective of the geopolitical zone u find yourself is to be conscious of your environment, the people, behaviour, in short the culture. I believe u were over enthusiastic to deliver stuffs, let the students feel u are hot. In as much as u tried in explaining things it will be unwise to bring controversial issues like LGBT into discussion in the classroom, especially to secondary school students who are yet to be able to sieve rights from wrong. I can bet it with u some of those parents themselves know nothing about LGBT, u can imagine the kind of confusion it will generate in their community when 1, 2 or more children come home and introduce a very strange topic.
Their coming to the school is not to come and lynch u, common people are not that barbaric, it's to come and question the school authority about what they are teaching their wards, and which i believe they have right to. See ehn, if u stick to the rules and stay within the Curriculum, unlike people are telling u, the parents are going to respect u because they have confirmed that u were naive, afterall who LGBT epp.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by DonroxyII: 7:22pm On Oct 23, 2019
adekunle0000:

THE NEXT DAY.

"Where were you born?"
"Are you Igbo?"
"Yes Sir"

Thank you.
we all learn every day next time be sensitive to your environment and respect your environment.... You could have been lynched ......

All you have to tell them is that there is same sex marriage in some cultures and environment but such an act is abominable in our own environment to the extent that Nigerian Law forbid it and whosoever engaged in same sex are liable to 14 years imprisonment......

You were so Bias to lay blame on GEJ for losing the pool due to LGBTQ..... U just want these innocent lads to accept and acknowledge the existence of LGBTQ.... You want to eradicate their chance of condemning it by selling and marketing the ideology to them ..

You are a shame to our culture and constitution and establishing the existence of these acts on the soul of our young lads without condemning it.

You taught them out of syllabus, You ain't even being sensible about it ..... you made them clapped only to rubbish the little girl again and rubbish the entire class ..... were u expecting these little lads to answer appropriately .... You don't have to say she is wrong , just add your own and complement the girl's and class effort !!

I swear If I am the Director, You are outa my school .... If my baby attend such a school, I will definitely change school unless you are out!!
You are a bad and poor teacher !!

6 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by abdul824: 7:25pm On Oct 23, 2019
your experience is full of lies.
in the course of trying to paint yourself as a democratic, open-minded saint, your bias and myopic thinking was just oozing all over the place.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Ayodelejohn2018(m): 7:26pm On Oct 23, 2019
come to kebbi u will knw dat zaria is civilized

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

JAMB 2017 Examinations To Hold In May / 8 Types Of Food For Broke University Students / Man Used As Human Guinea Pig After Radiation Disaster.(not for the faint hearts)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 294
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.