Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,801 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

My Experience Teaching In Zaria - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Experience Teaching In Zaria (24546 Views)

A Teacher Narrated His Experience Teaching In the classroom the UK / Teachers In The House, How's It Like Teaching In A Secondary School / Instagram Slay Queen Spotted Teaching In A Secondary School In Delta (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Bnladan(m): 8:40pm On Oct 23, 2019
KingSatan:
You are very lucky my friend. Indeed very lucky!

I pray you leave there alive.

I have traveled round the 6 geopolitical zones and I can tell you for sure that you have been declared a Kafir.

The north never forgets.
I'm not surprised to see "Satan" in ur moniker

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by BitmapStudios: 8:43pm On Oct 23, 2019
You taught JSS1 students about same sex marriage? And conspiracy theory of why Jonathan lost the election? Are you being serious? You even knew it wasn't in your lesson note and you couldn't restrict yourself to your own view and do the teaching the why you should have.
Chief, irrespective of the location, those were way off point and unrelaxing for kids in JSS1 (they are about 10-12 and you're already telling them about LGBT, man I dunno). Anyway, I wish you all the best.
cool

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by DEBJOCH1(m): 8:44pm On Oct 23, 2019
YOU WENT TO ZARIA OF ALL PLACES TO TEACH SAME SEX MARRIAGE AND DRAW GENITAL PART NOT EVEN IN KADUNA WHERE YOU HAVE MIX TRIBE, CULTURE AND RELIGION, PLEASE BROSS FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, I WILL ADVISE YOU LEAVE ZARIA AND GET YOURSELF RELOCATED TO KADUNA FOR YOUR OWN GOOD PENDING WHEN YOU ROUND UP YOUR PROGRAM
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by abduljabbar4(m): 8:45pm On Oct 23, 2019
I wonder why people like the op love to share falsehood about the north on this forum. One idiot some months ago swore that ABU admits students with less than 150 Jamb score when ABU is notorious for rejecting students with even 220.

Adekunle0000

I have some things to tell you

1) In cases like this, if they ever happen, you will hardly see more than 2 parents coming to the school to complain

2) If marriage only exists when a man and a woman approve it, then Why do we say things such as forced marriage, child marriage, etc? What was your business with LGBT as a teacher of students at that stage? Don't be a hypocrite. Even your 21st century, "civilized" southern schools wouldn't tolerate that nonsense from you. You even went further to say that he lost just because he rejected gay rights. Even if He himself said so, it was unprofessional of you to bring it to a junior sec school class if you knew what you were doing. Did the Americans vote? Your otueke thief lost because he was INCOMPETENT. And now that Buhari is here, has he legalized it to satisfy the westerners You are also poisoning their minds because you are teaching them rubbish as facts and if that is what you call advanced, modern teaching, then they should have beaten some sense into you.

3) can you tell me the name of the school? If you do, I will expose you on this forum because I will head there tomorrow and you will mention the names of the teachers working there

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Bnladan(m): 8:48pm On Oct 23, 2019
QuiverBox:
PURE FICTION

1. You just had your second class, by the 3rd day you were invited to the "Director's" office; and you already knew the population of Parents on a daily basis?

2. You are a Graduate, and yet you went ahead to teach Same Sex Marraige knowing fully well it's a crime in Nigeria.

3. You kept using the word " Director" instead of the regular title " Principal" which is a common name of Individuals Heading a secondary school

4. Who actually employed you in the School? You are have been there, just under a week and the "Director" had to ask about information from you which he would have known before your employment

5. You used the word "My Office" very rare for a new teaching recuit to have an Office to himself/herself, usually you are placed in the Staff room with other teachers.

6. No single reference to any other teacher colleagues from the beginning till when you went to get the textbook or even after the session with the parents. Are you the only teacher in the School?

7. You were explaining Marraige to JSS1 student referencing LGBTQ and GEJ 2015 Elections, Seriously??
you would make a good detective

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by LadySarah: 8:48pm On Oct 23, 2019
adekunle0000:
Let me correct some false impressions here.
1) The entire event as narrated by me is not fiction. It is all facts as they had happened. There are no exaggeration whatsoever.
2) I was not teaching "sex education". The topic was "Marriage" in social studies.
3) I am not gay, neither am I a member of that community. I infact have a girlfriend that I shagg as mercilessly as my stamina can carry. But it is my personal believe that "the Eagle should be allowed to perch, likewise the Kite".
4) My mention of the LGBTQ community was in passing and was never dwelled on. My reference to the GEJ dispensation was only to highlight that this "global phenomenon" was already at our doorstep.
5) Part of my job description is to expose subject-matters as comprehensively as possible, highlight their merits and demerits; without making recommendations or drawing conclusion. Doing that will amount to indoctrination and not teaching.
6) I didn't not pick the topic. The syllabus does that. Topic that are not "supposed" to be treated shouldn't be on the syllabus.
7) Trying to justify an arrant display of timidity of the locals by referring the American phobia for communism is a shameless misrepresentation of facts. America is a country built upon personal liberty. It is a country where "intentions alone", doesn't constitute a crime. It is nowhere on records that communist sympathizers, and even outright deflectors were ever arrested. They were nevertheless placed under secret surveillance. An example is Lee Harvey Oswald (the communist deflector who assasinated JFK). He was a Russian returnee and was never arrested until after his crime. In as much as it is considered un-american to be a communist, they never hid it from their kids/students that communists do exist. Today the Soviet Union is no more. Russia is a democracy; not minding how flawed. China is incorporating some capitalist tenets into her system. They won't be doing this had the pretended to themselves that the otherside does not exist.
cool The take-home for me is that there are Cultural or more appropriately, social constraints that limits what is to be talked about, how it is to be talked about, where it is to be talked about and when it is to be talked about. These constraints, even though they may inhibit proper transmission of knowledge, you should just stick to it because that is what the locals want. No matter how at odd these constraints are with the contemporary learning process, they don't give a damn.

Lastly. I once complained to my most Beloved Father about the difficulties that comes with getting married to a well educated woman. The old man looked at me straight in the face. After a few quiet intervals, he opened his mouth and said
"My son, would you prefer to stay in a house with guns, married to a woman that doesn't know how to use them Or would you prefer a woman who knows how to use guns but sees no justification on why she should used them?"
Before I could attempt an answer, he hushed me up and asked me to think a little bit deeper.
"....because the answer you give will say a lot about who you are"
We've been having cases of mindless child molestations, rape, extremism and others. Many of these vices stems from the fact that we as a people have failed to confront the Facts of our fastchanging world. We have built for ourselves self-righteous cocoons where we justify being ignorant to be better than being tolerate. Yet we continue to remain underdeveloped and backward in every sense. Efforts that should rather be invested productively are wasted in a misplaced pursuit of long-held, yet illogically ideologies.
The north have continued to withhold knowledge from her people, yet she has not faired any better than the rest of the country. They still remain the most backward of the entire lot.
In the course of reading through comments on this hallowed platform, I have begin to develop serious concern on the analytic capability of some of my fellow countrymen. Only God can save us from what the future holds.

You need to be saved first.Onye ara!!
You should be Thankful that You are still alive.
You are one of Those giving Igbos a bad name in the north.
ITK

5 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by abdulazeez1002(m): 8:48pm On Oct 23, 2019
Comanche:

I thought you were Yoruba.....

I wanted an objective opinion about something.

Thanks for replying.

you're welcome
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by adekunle0000: 8:50pm On Oct 23, 2019
Wagasigiungu:

Bros abeg hush!!!!

This is all damage control. We are educated enough to read between the lines and make inferences from your write up. All of us no fit sleep face thesame side na. Just change ur mindset and predisposition to your host community.

Do you honestly think all the commenters on here who called you out or have contrary views to yours are daft? Admit you were wrong and move past this. Shikenan. No one is infallible. Don't try and justify your wrong. Do you honestly believe you know better than the parents who would most likely be your elders by the way. Do you know what is best for theit kids? Perhaps when you become a parent in future, you would hv a different perspective and see things the way you should.
Stupidity is when you try to justify an issue based on the number of people supporting it. In the sciences, it is called "Herd Psychology". Nicholas Copernicus at one time was the only "stupid" man that believed the sun was the center of the solar system. Today, we are all as "stupid" as Copernicus. #Laughing
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by abduljabbar4(m): 8:52pm On Oct 23, 2019
ugonology:
On all grounds and from every perception...you were wrong!
1)You went overboard in teaching outside the syllabus (although slightly) on a topic that is both socio-culturally and constitutionally illegal in Nigeria.

2) You raped the minds of those kid by exposing them to dark knowledge that they should never have been exposed to at this stage of their lifes. kids always want to try and experiment on new things, they are easily swayed by new concepts and ideologies (its like teaching them about abortion and its benefits or teaching a primary 6 pupil the uses of a condom and how to get one) they are too young and will most likely abuse such information.

3) it's not about religion or region, any responsible parent will be concerned that their young kids are being exposed to such sensitive topics as same sex marriage at a tender and fragile age, it's only important(if necessary) for them to know these things at the senior secondary levels or within the concrete walls of a higher institution.

Lastly, Am Igbo and a Christian, born and breed in Zaria...i will not tolerate such from any teacher myself because this is what has plunged the western world into identity crisis! You find a man telling you he thinks he ought to have been a woman or how his sex organs do not define his sexuality. It all starts from an early intimacy with these dark and absurd ideologies...and in no distant time their minds become impregnated with strange foreign vices! It's awkward and against all our religious and cultural norms and values.

Well, Am running a masters degree in ABU too, zaria is not as extremist as you are painting it. Hit me up, maybe I will show you around, and wash away your zunubi' with a few holy bottles grin grin

My friend these guys are used to doing such on this forum. One idiot once said you can get admitted to ABU with 150 Jamb score as long as you are a Muslim from the north so I am not surprised. Furthermore what kind of teacher would be telling his students that a certain man lost an election due to his denial of gay rights, why would he talk about that to Just children? I'm very sure no school does that in the south as well. So glad to know that I'm not the only person from Zaria on this forum

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Protein0: 8:55pm On Oct 23, 2019
ArticleBeast:
You were lucky not to be lynched. When you go to a place, study the environment and culture. Don't go and do oversabi because of your exposure, they will slaughter you. I have been in Zaria for 3 year now, if you want to live peacefully, do not try to change the status quo, culture, religion, they will deal with you. Teach what is in the textbooks and nothing else.
Leave the guy. As if the author of the text wasn't aware of LGBT at the time of writing it. Even in the South, who teaches LGBT to junior school pupils? Teach marriage within the scope of the class, he was forming oversabi. It's not a matter of the North. I'm a southerner and had 80% of my schooling in the south, I first heard of LGBT as an undergraduate, not even in class.

On FGM, it's a topic better discussed by clinicians. It's not exactly same as female circumcision in the real sense.

I pray he doesn't run into trouble in Zaria tho. His oversabi and insensitivity is obvious from his write up.
If I were his employer, I would relieve him of his job with immediate effect. He isn't worthy of being a teacher. Lots of misinfo passed to the poor pupils from his wirte up.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by DEBJOCH1(m): 8:59pm On Oct 23, 2019
Alaniyiokorausa:
but the same north have the culture of gay, it has been a long practicing culture among the hausa fulani, where men behave like women and even have s*x with any person that want them. They call yan daudu(plural) dan daudu(singular)
. I concurred sir, more of those stupid gays in the north than any part of Nigeria, the northeners live a double standard life, agaba gebe life style. watch when ever it is 7pm, those innocent northerners you feel don't know Jack about men, its towards in the night you will see those innocent young looking girls in quote unleashing their venom on men in various Lungu, when they finish an behold another new morning, you see them cover all their already exposed body again, and when you even appreciate their beauty on a broad day light, instead of them yo tell you thank, they will rather tell you that the comment you have just thrown at them is a Haram, very deceitful sets of people.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by adekunle0000: 9:00pm On Oct 23, 2019
LadySarah:

You need to be saved first.Onye ara!! You should be Thankful that You are still alive. You are one of Those giving Igbos a bad name in the north. ITK
Omo see aunty wey mumu! #Laughing
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Wagasigiungu(m): 9:03pm On Oct 23, 2019
adekunle0000:

Stupidity is when you try to justify an issue based on the number of people supporting it. In the sciences, it is called "Herd Psychology". Nicholas Copernicus at one time was the only "stupid" man that believed the sun was the center of the solar system. Today, we are all as "stupid" as Copernicus. #Laughing

What is scientific about your assertions in your write up? We are not talking about science here. To the contrary, stupidity is trying to justify your stance based on a biased view point, near lack of experience and shallow knowledge of a subject matter.

From your submissions on this thread, I can't help but notice you hv a penchant for drawing wrong conclusions and making wrong analogies, just to buttress your points.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by QuiverBox(f): 9:05pm On Oct 23, 2019
Chai, No be small thing !!!

Equity15:
lmao!!! it's true oh
here in the north na director dem call proprietor/ owner of the school oh..It was funny when I discovered it
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by DEBJOCH1(m): 9:07pm On Oct 23, 2019
Alaniyiokorausa:
but the same north have the culture of gay, it has been a long practicing culture among the hausa fulani, where men behave like women and even have s*x with any person that want them. They call yan daudu(plural) dan daudu(singular)
. I concurred with you sir, there are more numbers of those stupid gays in the northern part than any other part of Nigeria, the northeners live a double standard life, agaba gebe life style. When ever it is 7pm in any part of the North, that is when you will see those innocent northern girls you feel don't know Jack about men, it's towards the night time you will see those innocent young looking girls in quote" will start unleashing their venom on men in various Lungu, when they finish with their immoral life, the following morning, you will see them cover all their already exposed body again, and when you even appreciate their beauty on a broad day light, by telling them that they are beautiful instead of them to say thank you, they will rather tell you that the comment you have just thrown at them is a Haram. Very deceitful sets of people.
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Wagasigiungu(m): 9:12pm On Oct 23, 2019
adekunle0000:

You are educated yet you don't know or choose to ignore what your constitution says about the topic you taught to your students. You didn't remember to tell them this part.

You are educated and taught social studies to JSS students, yet you were indifferent to and ignored the socio cultural and religious norms of your host community.

You are educated, yet you don't know what it means to be literate and you are quick to label an entire population with having "high level of illiteracy". No be everybody for North be boko haram na, and no be only western education be the only form of education biko nu.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Khaleell001(m): 9:20pm On Oct 23, 2019
adekunle0000:
I was born and raised in the southern part of Nigeria; Lagos to be precised. I had my first degree in eastern Nigeria. The National Youth Service Corp program offered me my first ever opportunity to visit the North.

I served in Taraba State. A very beautiful state that I will love to visit again someday. Infact, my pleasant experience in Taraba was a principal factor in my decision to pursue my Master's degree in a Northern University. I finally settled for the Prestigious Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.

To help cushion the cost of a second degree, I undertook the job of a teacher in one of the many "secular" secondary schools (Name withheld) in Zaira. I was assigned to teach "Social Studies" to the Junior classes from Jss1-3. Then "English" and on not-too-frequent occasions "Government", to the Senior classes from Ss1-3.

I had my very first lesson with the Jss 3 on Monday; considering that I was taking over from a teacher who had started with them from Week One. The topic i treated was "Harmful Cultural Practices". We have "Female Genital Mutilation" as a subtopic; which was actually what I taught.
I took time to explain to the students what "Female Genital Mutilation" also known as "Female Circumcision" was all about. I explained the underlying reasons why the natives had to introduce it, what they had hoped to achieve and the resulting problems they created. In other to be better understood, I drew a mock diagram of a female anatomy on the blackboard. This was geared towards a proper understanding of the differences between Partial Circumcision (Scarification) and Complete Mutilation.

In the course of the lesson, the students exhibited some form of childish repulsions, which I attributed to the very nature of the subject-matter. On my part, I tried as much as possible to stick to the topic without cracking jokes or even laugh at jokes from them. Many even asked inquisitive and probing questions. I only answered those that I considered relevant to the issue of discuss. I left the class with some of the students still showing signs of repulsion.
My next lesson was with the Jss 1. The topic was "Marriage". I tested the class previous knowledge by asking them what they understand by the word "Marriage". A female student stood up to defined marriage as a "union between a man and a woman". I asked the entire class to clap for her, given her very bold attempt. But to their bewilderment, I told the class that she was wrong after they were done clapping. Some of them even protested; inquiring why I adjuged her to be wrong.

I told the class that her definition was wrong because it did not sufficiently capture the very essence of the concept as it applies to our contemporary times. I told them that marriage is rather "a legal union between two consenting adults", "....it could either be between two people of the same gender or two opposing genders".
At this point, I had their undivided attention. They were all hushed and concentrated. I told them about the LGBTQ community and their persistent struggle for acceptance.

I made them understand that is a global community with a global agenda. To drive home my point, I made them understand that the last dispensation of Goodluck Jonathan, had infact blamed this global phenomenon to be principally responsible for his failure at the polls as result of his refusal to give consent. I equally put in the same energy to explain the more common types of marriage (Christian, Islamic, Traditional, and Court). I left my class feeling every earned sense of fulfillment; having done my job to the best of my ability.

THE NEXT DAY.

I was in my office, when I got a message that the Director wants to see me. It was not my first time of receiving such a call from the Director. Staff meetings were almost becoming as frequent as one going to make use of the Convenience. Well... I took it like "Nwa it's nothing" ( in Phyno's voice). I stood up from my chair, adjusted my belt and then, swaggered away towards the Director's Office.

Before the office of the Director is the office of his secretary. The population of parents I saw there was quite more than what we normally receive on a daily bases. But considering that for the past week, we have been emphatic on the need for school fees debtors to come effect their payment, I didn't give their presence much thought. I was infact glad that at least, Madam will no longer hold us responsible for the poor response of parents to this obligation.

My indifference soon started giving way to some form of anxiety; more like fear, when I began to notice the "sea of eyes" looking my way with every step I took towards the Director's Office. As I got closer to the door, I discovered that the population in the Director's Office was even more that the spillover outside. I could feel the suppressed tension in the air. The faces were not bright or even welcoming to say the least. They did not appear to me like those who came to pay school fees.

I was able to excuse my way into the Secretary's Office. The Director motioned for me to come into his office at once, as soon as he saw me making my way in. He wasn't sitting on his chair. Standing with him as I was latter told is the School PTA chairman. A very respectable man judging by his outward disposition. He was an elderly man; infact the oldest among the lot.
As soon as the Director motioned me in, the crowd standing between me and the Director's Office just parted in two like the Red Sea to make way for me. I felt my heart sink into my stomach. My legs instantly felt heavy. But I had myself under strict comportment. My face were without emotions. Afterall, I was guilty of nothing (or so I thought).

As I walked into the office, the elder man (PTA chairman) was looking almost piercingly at me. As if sizing me up. My presence caught him in the middle of his address to the gathering.
My Director asked me to take a seat; which I did. I infact, sat at the edge of my seat, still wondering why I was the only teacher that was called to such a gathering of not-so-happy-looking parents. My Director (also an elderly Muslim man) sensing my apprehension, asked me to relax with what I considered to be a mischievous grim on his face. Well...I knew better than to do as instructed. I was on guard.
The first question I was asked was "How long have you been in the North?".

"About 15 months Sir" I replied as loud enough as my dried throat will permit me. "The first 12 months was at Jalingo and just 3 months in Zaria." i quickly added emphatically.

"Where were you born?"
"Lagos but I did my first degree in the East. My family is still based in Lagos"
"Are you Igbo?"
"Yes Sir"
There was a little thoughtful pause after that answer. Then he continued..
"What brought you to Zaira?"
"I'm a student of ABU and I'm here for my Master's degree program Sir"
"That's good" he said thoughtfully as he continued to gaze at me as if studying my disposition.
The others just continue to look as us without saying a word. A few of them (matured men) were occupying the few seats in the office. The rest (mostly the hijab wearing women and young fathers) were standing.
"Our Children came home to complain that you are teaching them bad things. That you are saying negative things that they don't like in class. What is it that you are teaching them?"
At this moment, I almost felt like bursting out in laughter. I had to pinch myself to remain composed.

Well...to cut the story short, I took time to explain to the parents what it was that I taught. The Director even sent for my textbooks without allowing me to go get them myself. I don't know if they were nursing the impression that I might escape. Funny them! Escape for what? Mtcheeeu!

When my textbooks came, it was confirmed that I had actually taught in accordance to the dictates of the textbook for the case of the Jss3. As for the Jss1, the topic was actually confirmed to be on marriage too, but the textbook (which was an old textbook of course) was silent on the issue of same sex marriage.

I was given a very strict warning to stick only to the content of the textbook. In the course of all of the admonishment, the PTA Chairman was smiling, but I knew better than to take the smiles for their face value. This people were dead serious!

I have since swore to myself, that I shall never try to "do pass myself". if I teach and you understand....fine! if you don't.... that's your cup of tea! I can't come and kill myself.
This was my experience! I felt compelled to write it down in order to help save someone somewhere from falling into my kind of situation. That is wasn't attacked by the parents is infact a miracle that I thank God and the respectable PTA chairman for. My intentions were pure. But here in the North, intentions can easily be misinterpreted especially when coming from a non-muslim and worst still, from a Nyamiri.
I personally think there is still a need for mass sensitisation of the Northerner on the usefulness of Western Education. The illiteracy rate is high. Those that even manage to go to school are just doing it with the impression that it is merely to fulfill all righteousness. Little wonder why we keep discovering "torture houses" on a daily bases. If the University community of Zaria could be this timid, how much more the Northern interiors.

Thank you.

You really went way beyond your realm.

How can a graduate not know that "sensitizing" or whatever you call it about LGBTQ+ was biting more than what you can chew?

Honestly, if I were one of those parents I will also question you.
Don't bring your Lagos free for all life style or anything like that to a conservative place and feel you are trying to "sensitive" them; and I doubt if majority of Lagosians would like you to "educate " their kids in such manner.
And for your information,not every westerner supports this form of education.

They was even a protest in the UK were some parents had to withdraw there kids from. schools promoting such type of "knowledge" in their curriculum.

Marriage is, and will always be between a man and a wife. Whatever is outside this is a misnomer and children should not be made to see anything outside this as "legitimate" as you defined it to those kids in your write up.

I guess if you had father (a woman) and a mother(in lesbian relationship not marriage;which I will never call it) you wouldn't be here talking about "educating" people without putting their social cultural attitude in the correct perspective.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Khaleell001(m): 9:22pm On Oct 23, 2019
SKhanmi:
I can see you're the type that's not really perceptive of their environment. Enlighten them,but not at the risk of your life. When you get overseas or to more liberal settings,go discuss LGBT issues with them. This is Nigeria, that is the north,most haven't even caught up with the 20th century yet much less the 21st. Many have died for less. By the way,from experience, expect your face & description to be passed about. You don buy market.

We don't need to catch up with any 21st century BS whether its LGBTQ+ or those stinking pride parade.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Khaleell001(m): 9:24pm On Oct 23, 2019
Firstorderwizard:
Nwanne round up your masters program and flee from that place. FYI, you have been declared a kafir. I pray what I'm thinking will not happen.

He is a kafir according to Islamic teachings.
And you are also.
we are not hiding it.
This is not about tolerance but fact.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by okpanachil: 9:25pm On Oct 23, 2019
ugonology:
1)You went overboard in teaching outside the syllabus (although slightly) on a topic that is both socio-culturally and constitutionally illegal in Nigeria.

2) You raped the minds of those kid by exposing them to dark knowledge that they should never have been exposed to at this stage of their lifes. kids always want to try and experiment on new things, they are easily swayed by new concepts and ideologies (its like teaching them about abortion and its benefits or teaching a primary 6 pupil the uses of a condom and how to get one) they are too young and will most likely abuse such information.

3) it's not about religion or region, any responsible parent will be concerned that their young kids are being exposed to such sensitive topics as same sex marriage at a tender and fragile age, it's only important(if necessary) for them to know these things at the senior secondary levels or within the concrete walls of a higher institution.

Lastly, Am Igbo and a Christian, born and breed in Zaria...i will not tolerate such from any teacher myself because this is what has plunged the western world into identity crisis! You find a man telling you he thinks he ought to have been a woman or how his sex organs do not define his sexuality. It all starts from an early intimacy with these dark and absurd ideologies...and in no distant time their minds become impregnated with strange foreign vices! It's awkward and against all our religious and cultural norms and values.

Well, Am running a masters degree in ABU too, zaria is not as extremist as you are painting it. Hit me up, maybe I will show you around, and wash away your zunubi' with a few holy bottles grin grin

My brother,God bless you for this post.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Khaleell001(m): 9:26pm On Oct 23, 2019
ugonology:

Abeg you have said it all.

Some. people just go around spilling uncensored venoms about people when he ought to blame himself.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by djon78(m): 9:27pm On Oct 23, 2019
LadySarah:

You need to be saved first.Onye ara!!
You should be Thankful that You are still alive.
You are one of Those giving Igbos a bad name in the north.
ITK

I have never seen such crap
He is even claiming intellectual
Even in the east, you may even be suspended
Teaching small children about gay marriage
Gay nonsense is totally outlawed in Nigeria
He wants to corrupt young minds
Nonsense
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Khaleell001(m): 9:29pm On Oct 23, 2019
Fentanyl:
just look at this court jester telling us tall tales

and people are actually hailing him for teaching the "right thing"

political correctness will kill you

what country are you in?

what are the laws of your country about the subject of homosexuality?

what is a "same sex marriage"?

people are saying it's because it's the north

oh so you think you can teach that silliness to young people in any part of this country and go Scot free

keep fooling yourself

And you keep thinking of some southerners who keep saying north, north as if they will tolerate such things being taught to their wards.
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Taku555(m): 9:37pm On Oct 23, 2019
adekunle0000:
I was born and raised in the southern part of Nigeria; Lagos to be precised. I had my first degree in eastern Nigeria. The National Youth Service Corp program offered me my first ever opportunity to visit the North.

I served in Taraba State. A very beautiful state that I will love to visit again someday. Infact, my pleasant experience in Taraba was a principal factor in my decision to pursue my Master's degree in a Northern University. I finally settled for the Prestigious Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.

To help cushion the cost of a second degree, I undertook the job of a teacher in one of the many "secular" secondary schools (Name withheld) in Zaira. I was assigned to teach "Social Studies" to the Junior classes from Jss1-3. Then "English" and on not-too-frequent occasions "Government", to the Senior classes from Ss1-3.

I had my very first lesson with the Jss 3 on Monday; considering that I was taking over from a teacher who had started with them from Week One. The topic i treated was "Harmful Cultural Practices". We have "Female Genital Mutilation" as a subtopic; which was actually what I taught.
I took time to explain to the students what "Female Genital Mutilation" also known as "Female Circumcision" was all about. I explained the underlying reasons why the natives had to introduce it, what they had hoped to achieve and the resulting problems they created. In other to be better understood, I drew a mock diagram of a female anatomy on the blackboard. This was geared towards a proper understanding of the differences between Partial Circumcision (Scarification) and Complete Mutilation.

In the course of the lesson, the students exhibited some form of childish repulsions, which I attributed to the very nature of the subject-matter. On my part, I tried as much as possible to stick to the topic without cracking jokes or even laugh at jokes from them. Many even asked inquisitive and probing questions. I only answered those that I considered relevant to the issue of discuss. I left the class with some of the students still showing signs of repulsion.
My next lesson was with the Jss 1. The topic was "Marriage". I tested the class previous knowledge by asking them what they understand by the word "Marriage". A female student stood up to defined marriage as a "union between a man and a woman". I asked the entire class to clap for her, given her very bold attempt. But to their bewilderment, I told the class that she was wrong after they were done clapping. Some of them even protested; inquiring why I adjuged her to be wrong.

I told the class that her definition was wrong because it did not sufficiently capture the very essence of the concept as it applies to our contemporary times. I told them that marriage is rather "a legal union between two consenting adults", "....it could either be between two people of the same gender or two opposing genders".
At this point, I had their undivided attention. They were all hushed and concentrated. I told them about the LGBTQ community and their persistent struggle for acceptance.

I made them understand that is a global community with a global agenda. To drive home my point, I made them understand that the last dispensation of Goodluck Jonathan, had infact blamed this global phenomenon to be principally responsible for his failure at the polls as result of his refusal to give consent. I equally put in the same energy to explain the more common types of marriage (Christian, Islamic, Traditional, and Court). I left my class feeling every earned sense of fulfillment; having done my job to the best of my ability.

THE NEXT DAY.

I was in my office, when I got a message that the Director wants to see me. It was not my first time of receiving such a call from the Director. Staff meetings were almost becoming as frequent as one going to make use of the Convenience. Well... I took it like "Nwa it's nothing" ( in Phyno's voice). I stood up from my chair, adjusted my belt and then, swaggered away towards the Director's Office.

Before the office of the Director is the office of his secretary. The population of parents I saw there was quite more than what we normally receive on a daily bases. But considering that for the past week, we have been emphatic on the need for school fees debtors to come effect their payment, I didn't give their presence much thought. I was infact glad that at least, Madam will no longer hold us responsible for the poor response of parents to this obligation.

My indifference soon started giving way to some form of anxiety; more like fear, when I began to notice the "sea of eyes" looking my way with every step I took towards the Director's Office. As I got closer to the door, I discovered that the population in the Director's Office was even more that the spillover outside. I could feel the suppressed tension in the air. The faces were not bright or even welcoming to say the least. They did not appear to me like those who came to pay school fees.

I was able to excuse my way into the Secretary's Office. The Director motioned for me to come into his office at once, as soon as he saw me making my way in. He wasn't sitting on his chair. Standing with him as I was latter told is the School PTA chairman. A very respectable man judging by his outward disposition. He was an elderly man; infact the oldest among the lot.
As soon as the Director motioned me in, the crowd standing between me and the Director's Office just parted in two like the Red Sea to make way for me. I felt my heart sink into my stomach. My legs instantly felt heavy. But I had myself under strict comportment. My face were without emotions. Afterall, I was guilty of nothing (or so I thought).

As I walked into the office, the elder man (PTA chairman) was looking almost piercingly at me. As if sizing me up. My presence caught him in the middle of his address to the gathering.
My Director asked me to take a seat; which I did. I infact, sat at the edge of my seat, still wondering why I was the only teacher that was called to such a gathering of not-so-happy-looking parents. My Director (also an elderly Muslim man) sensing my apprehension, asked me to relax with what I considered to be a mischievous grim on his face. Well...I knew better than to do as instructed. I was on guard.
The first question I was asked was "How long have you been in the North?".

"About 15 months Sir" I replied as loud enough as my dried throat will permit me. "The first 12 months was at Jalingo and just 3 months in Zaria." i quickly added emphatically.

"Where were you born?"
"Lagos but I did my first degree in the East. My family is still based in Lagos"
"Are you Igbo?"
"Yes Sir"
There was a little thoughtful pause after that answer. Then he continued..
"What brought you to Zaira?"
"I'm a student of ABU and I'm here for my Master's degree program Sir"
"That's good" he said thoughtfully as he continued to gaze at me as if studying my disposition.
The others just continue to look as us without saying a word. A few of them (matured men) were occupying the few seats in the office. The rest (mostly the hijab wearing women and young fathers) were standing.
"Our Children came home to complain that you are teaching them bad things. That you are saying negative things that they don't like in class. What is it that you are teaching them?"
At this moment, I almost felt like bursting out in laughter. I had to pinch myself to remain composed.

Well...to cut the story short, I took time to explain to the parents what it was that I taught. The Director even sent for my textbooks without allowing me to go get them myself. I don't know if they were nursing the impression that I might escape. Funny them! Escape for what? Mtcheeeu!

When my textbooks came, it was confirmed that I had actually taught in accordance to the dictates of the textbook for the case of the Jss3. As for the Jss1, the topic was actually confirmed to be on marriage too, but the textbook (which was an old textbook of course) was silent on the issue of same sex marriage.

I was given a very strict warning to stick only to the content of the textbook. In the course of all of the admonishment, the PTA Chairman was smiling, but I knew better than to take the smiles for their face value. This people were dead serious!

I have since swore to myself, that I shall never try to "do pass myself". if I teach and you understand....fine! if you don't.... that's your cup of tea! I can't come and kill myself.
This was my experience! I felt compelled to write it down in order to help save someone somewhere from falling into my kind of situation. That is wasn't attacked by the parents is infact a miracle that I thank God and the respectable PTA chairman for. My intentions were pure. But here in the North, intentions can easily be misinterpreted especially when coming from a non-muslim and worst still, from a Nyamiri.
I personally think there is still a need for mass sensitisation of the Northerner on the usefulness of Western Education. The illiteracy rate is high. Those that even manage to go to school are just doing it with the impression that it is merely to fulfill all righteousness. Little wonder why we keep discovering "torture houses" on a daily bases. If the University community of Zaria could be this timid, how much more the Northern interiors.

Thank you.
what a great message! How can I contact you please?
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Taku555(m): 9:41pm On Oct 23, 2019
onegig:
This is what happens when you thrust school leavers without basic teaching skills into a live environment.

OP you were right to teach them what was in the book but when teaching you need to be aware of your environment, the age of the kids you are taking and a lot of other factors.

Sex education is still something frowned upon in our society even in the so called developed world. We have lots of conservative cultures and movements going against such.

So when teaching such classes on those subject matter try as much as possible to be brief and relate things to their local environment. I wouldn't go to the North and start teaching kids about blizzards because it's alien to the environment although i can make a passing comment about it. Best wishes and please try as much as possible to stay out of politically charged atmosphere. They always warn you guys in camp.
he might probably not a student of education.
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by adeblow(m): 10:05pm On Oct 23, 2019
You are teaching Social studies and drawing male and female reproductive organs in the board, are u okay? Go back to the east and teach the children of your people LGBT, nonsense. I am not from the north but you should have been give 20strokes of koboko and sacked for teaching such nonsense. Putting LGBT in the subconscious of little children at that age. Nonsense. I think u are one of those gays who haven't come out of the closet.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by VicM6: 10:12pm On Oct 23, 2019
op if dem declare jihad on u den u are finish..... no do pass ur power o
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by ArticleBeast: 10:12pm On Oct 23, 2019
Welcomme:

You are a lair. Tell me where they did all these things in Zaria. Where do you stay in Zaria? I was born and brought up in Zaria and never for once have I ever heard of all these nonsense you wrote up there.. You are a bloody liar. I am a Christian for your information.
When I was still taking alcohol, I take alcohol freely right here in Zaria. No form of harassment from anybody for once. Go to PZ, Sabo, Aviation, Samaru, Jushi, Angwa Godo, Kano road and see how guys are flexing very hard

Cc: Dominique
No energy keep walking
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by ArticleBeast: 10:13pm On Oct 23, 2019
tayebest:

Oga, the danraka scenario you mentioned is false! The said thief was only beaten to pulp not killed! Infact, it was not 'Northerners' that pull the jungle justice but students!

Una go just come online dey spew thrash, make una fear God na! angry
No energy for idiots.. Keep walking
abdulazeez1002:
On your first paragraph, mtcheew

You are drifting from the point. Who are the people killing because of urinating near a prayer ground tongue

Imagine you are sighting an example that happen 2 years ago. Wtf

So you mean I can urinate on a church down the South

I care about Religion alot

No energy for idiots keep walking
bajeen:

Can you please cite an evidence where someone was lynched in Zaria for 'urinating near their prayerground'
Again, cite evidence on the thieves that were lynched ? Eventhough it's a frequent occurence here in the South
No energy for idiots. Keep walking
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by abdulazeez1002(m): 10:16pm On Oct 23, 2019
ArticleBeast:

No energy for idiots keep walking
Mynd44 lalasticlala

Justice should be serve

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Kebbi School Has No New Mattresses Despite Receiving ₦5.6M / JAMB 2017 Examinations To Hold In May / 8 Types Of Food For Broke University Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 191
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.