Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,964 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

My Experience Teaching In Zaria - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Experience Teaching In Zaria (24550 Views)

A Teacher Narrated His Experience Teaching In the classroom the UK / Teachers In The House, How's It Like Teaching In A Secondary School / Instagram Slay Queen Spotted Teaching In A Secondary School In Delta (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by budaatum: 7:28pm On Oct 23, 2019
Op, teaching same gender marriage in enlightened UK where the curriculum insists it be taught is fraught with danger in some communities so I must commend your bravery at teaching it in Muslim Taraba which is in a nation that opposes anything same gender! I bet you'd face opposition in more enlightened Lagos and Abuja too.

Perhaps next time, add "in some countries", and "amongst some people" so it doesn't come across as you promoting it, if only for your own safety.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/may/24/lgbt-lesson-protests-hijacked-religious-extremists-mps-say

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Rajman45(m): 7:30pm On Oct 23, 2019
calgaryFriend:

How is he out of touch, he taught what was in the syllabus.
You should not shy away from the fact that Ops post highlights how religion is keeping the North backward.

Ur stupidity has really outgrown Ur senses... If ur stupid enough not to know that Same sex marriage is illegal in Nigeria, then u should know that even here in South South/ southwest... We don't tolerate it.

8 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by SmartyPants(m): 7:31pm On Oct 23, 2019
adekunle0000:
I was born and raised in the southern part of Nigeria; Lagos to be precised. I had my first degree in eastern Nigeria. The National Youth Service Corp program offered me my first ever opportunity to visit the North.

I served in Taraba State. A very beautiful state that I will love to visit again someday. Infact, my pleasant experience in Taraba was a principal factor in my decision to pursue my Master's degree in a Northern University. I finally settled for the Prestigious Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.

To help cushion the cost of a second degree, I undertook the job of a teacher in one of the many "secular" secondary schools (Name withheld) in Zaira. I was assigned to teach "Social Studies" to the Junior classes from Jss1-3. Then "English" and on not-too-frequent occasions "Government", to the Senior classes from Ss1-3.

I had my very first lesson with the Jss 3 on Monday; considering that I was taking over from a teacher who had started with them from Week One. The topic i treated was "Harmful Cultural Practices". We have "Female Genital Mutilation" as a subtopic; which was actually what I taught.
I took time to explain to the students what "Female Genital Mutilation" also known as "Female Circumcision" was all about. I explained the underlying reasons why the natives had to introduce it, what they had hoped to achieve and the resulting problems they created. In other to be better understood, I drew a mock diagram of a female anatomy on the blackboard. This was geared towards a proper understanding of the differences between Partial Circumcision (Scarification) and Complete Mutilation.

In the course of the lesson, the students exhibited some form of childish repulsions, which I attributed to the very nature of the subject-matter. On my part, I tried as much as possible to stick to the topic without cracking jokes or even laugh at jokes from them. Many even asked inquisitive and probing questions. I only answered those that I considered relevant to the issue of discuss. I left the class with some of the students still showing signs of repulsion.
My next lesson was with the Jss 1. The topic was "Marriage". I tested the class previous knowledge by asking them what they understand by the word "Marriage". A female student stood up to defined marriage as a "union between a man and a woman". I asked the entire class to clap for her, given her very bold attempt. But to their bewilderment, I told the class that she was wrong after they were done clapping. Some of them even protested; inquiring why I adjuged her to be wrong.

I told the class that her definition was wrong because it did not sufficiently capture the very essence of the concept as it applies to our contemporary times. I told them that marriage is rather "a legal union between two consenting adults", "....it could either be between two people of the same gender or two opposing genders".
At this point, I had their undivided attention. They were all hushed and concentrated. I told them about the LGBTQ community and their persistent struggle for acceptance.

I made them understand that is a global community with a global agenda. To drive home my point, I made them understand that the last dispensation of Goodluck Jonathan, had infact blamed this global phenomenon to be principally responsible for his failure at the polls as result of his refusal to give consent. I equally put in the same energy to explain the more common types of marriage (Christian, Islamic, Traditional, and Court). I left my class feeling every earned sense of fulfillment; having done my job to the best of my ability.

THE NEXT DAY.

I was in my office, when I got a message that the Director wants to see me. It was not my first time of receiving such a call from the Director. Staff meetings were almost becoming as frequent as one going to make use of the Convenience. Well... I took it like "Nwa it's nothing" ( in Phyno's voice). I stood up from my chair, adjusted my belt and then, swaggered away towards the Director's Office.

Before the office of the Director is the office of his secretary. The population of parents I saw there was quite more than what we normally receive on a daily bases. But considering that for the past week, we have been emphatic on the need for school fees debtors to come effect their payment, I didn't give their presence much thought. I was infact glad that at least, Madam will no longer hold us responsible for the poor response of parents to this obligation.

My indifference soon started giving way to some form of anxiety; more like fear, when I began to notice the "sea of eyes" looking my way with every step I took towards the Director's Office. As I got closer to the door, I discovered that the population in the Director's Office was even more that the spillover outside. I could feel the suppressed tension in the air. The faces were not bright or even welcoming to say the least. They did not appear to me like those who came to pay school fees.

I was able to excuse my way into the Secretary's Office. The Director motioned for me to come into his office at once, as soon as he saw me making my way in. He wasn't sitting on his chair. Standing with him as I was latter told is the School PTA chairman. A very respectable man judging by his outward disposition. He was an elderly man; infact the oldest among the lot.
As soon as the Director motioned me in, the crowd standing between me and the Director's Office just parted in two like the Red Sea to make way for me. I felt my heart sink into my stomach. My legs instantly felt heavy. But I had myself under strict comportment. My face were without emotions. Afterall, I was guilty of nothing (or so I thought).

As I walked into the office, the elder man (PTA chairman) was looking almost piercingly at me. As if sizing me up. My presence caught him in the middle of his address to the gathering.
My Director asked me to take a seat; which I did. I infact, sat at the edge of my seat, still wondering why I was the only teacher that was called to such a gathering of not-so-happy-looking parents. My Director (also an elderly Muslim man) sensing my apprehension, asked me to relax with what I considered to be a mischievous grim on his face. Well...I knew better than to do as instructed. I was on guard.
The first question I was asked was "How long have you been in the North?".

"About 15 months Sir" I replied as loud enough as my dried throat will permit me. "The first 12 months was at Jalingo and just 3 months in Zaria." i quickly added emphatically.

"Where were you born?"
"Lagos but I did my first degree in the East. My family is still based in Lagos"
"Are you Igbo?"
"Yes Sir"
There was a little thoughtful pause after that answer. Then he continued..
"What brought you to Zaira?"
"I'm a student of ABU and I'm here for my Master's degree program Sir"
"That's good" he said thoughtfully as he continued to gaze at me as if studying my disposition.
The others just continue to look as us without saying a word. A few of them (matured men) were occupying the few seats in the office. The rest (mostly the hijab wearing women and young fathers) were standing.
"Our Children came home to complain that you are teaching them bad things. That you are saying negative things that they don't like in class. What is it that you are teaching them?"
At this moment, I almost felt like bursting out in laughter. I had to pinch myself to remain composed.

Well...to cut the story short, I took time to explain to the parents what it was that I taught. The Director even sent for my textbooks without allowing me to go get them myself. I don't know if they were nursing the impression that I might escape. Funny them! Escape for what? Mtcheeeu!

When my textbooks came, it was confirmed that I had actually taught in accordance to the dictates of the textbook for the case of the Jss3. As for the Jss1, the topic was actually confirmed to be on marriage too, but the textbook (which was an old textbook of course) was silent on the issue of same sex marriage.

I was given a very strict warning to stick only to the content of the textbook. In the course of all of the admonishment, the PTA Chairman was smiling, but I knew better than to take the smiles for their face value. This people were dead serious!

I have since swore to myself, that I shall never try to "do pass myself". if I teach and you understand....fine! if you don't.... that's your cup of tea! I can't come and kill myself.
This was my experience! I felt compelled to write it down in order to help save someone somewhere from falling into my kind of situation. That is wasn't attacked by the parents is infact a miracle that I thank God and the respectable PTA chairman for. My intentions were pure. But here in the North, intentions can easily be misinterpreted especially when coming from a non-muslim and worst still, from a Nyamiri.
I personally think there is still a need for mass sensitisation of the Northerner on the usefulness of Western Education. The illiteracy rate is high. Those that even manage to go to school are just doing it with the impression that it is merely to fulfill all righteousness. Little wonder why we keep discovering "torture houses" on a daily bases. If the University community of Zaria could be this timid, how much more the Northern interiors.

Thank you.

You have just revealed what you sought to hide, which is that you teach at University secondary school.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Nobody: 7:34pm On Oct 23, 2019
taiwoawoniyi:
Your article was great. An awesome read.
Please paragraph to help our eyes.

I feel whenever you're in Rome, you should act like a Roman.
The north is a volatile place; introducing LGBTQ was kinda a stretch, because of their overly religious practices.

Thank God you didn't spark a riot tho. grin
but the same north have the culture of gay, it has been a long practicing culture among the hausa fulani, where men behave like women and even have s*x with any person that want them. They call yan daudu(plural) dan daudu(singular)
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Kenny4lyfe(m): 7:34pm On Oct 23, 2019
I will advise op @adekunle0000 to meet the school principal and obtain the curriculum booklet. The same gender union you taught those kids is not part of our curriculum in Nigeria. It was illegal for you to teach it. Your case would have been worse if you had tried this in a public school. I'm sure you would not have tried what you deed if you had a degree or PGDE in Teacher Education. The curriculum is your guide as a teacher, anything outside it will be counterproductive to achieving the curriculum objectives. I bet those people are thinking you're a fagg***t to have taught that to their kids. Be mindful of the society in which you are oh! God still loves you that's why you alive to share this here! Peace.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by softy(m): 7:34pm On Oct 23, 2019
femi4:
Marriage remains a union between a man and a woman for a jss1 class. Don't be overzealous child, else you won't be alive to tell the story

According to the Nigeria Constitution, Marriage remains a legal union between a man and a woman with both parents/guardians/sponsors consents.

The OP was teaching trash.

I am very angry at this tales right now.

Our culture and belief system are against evil ideas such as Identity Crisis and LGBT.

Was he ever taught such nonsense knowledge in school while he was undergraduate and even, during his master programme, officially?

ITK and superiority complex!

9 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by worworbabe: 7:36pm On Oct 23, 2019
I live in the South west. If you teach my Children such nonsense, you won't go scot free.

Nonsense. They should have gotten you arrested.

This op is either gay or just posting this nonsense to drive some sentimental BS

12 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by whitering: 7:36pm On Oct 23, 2019
Over sabi kill you there. You drew circumcised and uncircumcised female organ for little children to do what exactly. You only succeeded in raising their reproductive hormones

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by SmartyPants(m): 7:36pm On Oct 23, 2019
Boringdraw1:
Fabricated lies. Can someone run nysc and masters concurrently? NO

Post NYSC he said. NYSC was done in Taraba, and he is now in Zaria.
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Mensah007: 7:37pm On Oct 23, 2019
You should be arrested for teaching homosexuality in Nigeria, uneducated graduated that doesn't know what is crime and not.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by MrBONE2(m): 7:40pm On Oct 23, 2019
taiwoawoniyi:
Your article was great. An awesome read.
Please paragraph to help our eyes.

I feel whenever you're in Rome, you should act like a Roman.
The north is a volatile place; introducing LGBTQ was kinda a stretch, because of their overly religious practices.

Thank God you didn't spark a riot tho. grin

Yeah and whenever you in KiVuKi Land behave like themgrin
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Rajman45(m): 7:40pm On Oct 23, 2019
adekunle0000:
I was born and raised in the southern part of Nigeria; Lagos to be precised. I had my first degree in eastern Nigeria. The National Youth Service Corp program offered me my first ever opportunity to visit the North.

I served in Taraba State. A very beautiful state that I will love to visit again someday. Infact, my pleasant experience in Taraba was a principal factor in my decision to pursue my Master's degree in a Northern University. I finally settled for the Prestigious Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.

To help cushion the cost of a second degree, I undertook the job of a teacher in one of the many "secular" secondary schools (Name withheld) in Zaira. I was assigned to teach "Social Studies" to the Junior classes from Jss1-3. Then "English" and on not-too-frequent occasions "Government", to the Senior classes from Ss1-3.

I had my very first lesson with the Jss 3 on Monday; considering that I was taking over from a teacher who had started with them from Week One. The topic i treated was "Harmful Cultural Practices". We have "Female Genital Mutilation" as a subtopic; which was actually what I taught.
I took time to explain to the students what "Female Genital Mutilation" also known as "Female Circumcision" was all about. I explained the underlying reasons why the natives had to introduce it, what they had hoped to achieve and the resulting problems they created. In other to be better understood, I drew a mock diagram of a female anatomy on the blackboard. This was geared towards a proper understanding of the differences between Partial Circumcision (Scarification) and Complete Mutilation.

In the course of the lesson, the students exhibited some form of childish repulsions, which I attributed to the very nature of the subject-matter. On my part, I tried as much as possible to stick to the topic without cracking jokes or even laugh at jokes from them. Many even asked inquisitive and probing questions. I only answered those that I considered relevant to the issue of discuss. I left the class with some of the students still showing signs of repulsion.
My next lesson was with the Jss 1. The topic was "Marriage". I tested the class previous knowledge by asking them what they understand by the word "Marriage". A female student stood up to defined marriage as a "union between a man and a woman". I asked the entire class to clap for her, given her very bold attempt. But to their bewilderment, I told the class that she was wrong after they were done clapping. Some of them even protested; inquiring why I adjuged her to be wrong.

I told the class that her definition was wrong because it did not sufficiently capture the very essence of the concept as it applies to our contemporary times. I told them that marriage is rather "a legal union between two consenting adults", "....it could either be between two people of the same gender or two opposing genders".
At this point, I had their undivided attention. They were all hushed and concentrated. I told them about the LGBTQ community and their persistent struggle for acceptance.

I made them understand that is a global community with a global agenda. To drive home my point, I made them understand that the last dispensation of Goodluck Jonathan, had infact blamed this global phenomenon to be principally responsible for his failure at the polls as result of his refusal to give consent. I equally put in the same energy to explain the more common types of marriage (Christian, Islamic, Traditional, and Court). I left my class feeling every earned sense of fulfillment; having done my job to the best of my ability.

THE NEXT DAY.

I was in my office, when I got a message that the Director wants to see me. It was not my first time of receiving such a call from the Director. Staff meetings were almost becoming as frequent as one going to make use of the Convenience. Well... I took it like "Nwa it's nothing" ( in Phyno's voice). I stood up from my chair, adjusted my belt and then, swaggered away towards the Director's Office.

Before the office of the Director is the office of his secretary. The population of parents I saw there was quite more than what we normally receive on a daily bases. But considering that for the past week, we have been emphatic on the need for school fees debtors to come effect their payment, I didn't give their presence much thought. I was infact glad that at least, Madam will no longer hold us responsible for the poor response of parents to this obligation.

My indifference soon started giving way to some form of anxiety; more like fear, when I began to notice the "sea of eyes" looking my way with every step I took towards the Director's Office. As I got closer to the door, I discovered that the population in the Director's Office was even more that the spillover outside. I could feel the suppressed tension in the air. The faces were not bright or even welcoming to say the least. They did not appear to me like those who came to pay school fees.

I was able to excuse my way into the Secretary's Office. The Director motioned for me to come into his office at once, as soon as he saw me making my way in. He wasn't sitting on his chair. Standing with him as I was latter told is the School PTA chairman. A very respectable man judging by his outward disposition. He was an elderly man; infact the oldest among the lot.
As soon as the Director motioned me in, the crowd standing between me and the Director's Office just parted in two like the Red Sea to make way for me. I felt my heart sink into my stomach. My legs instantly felt heavy. But I had myself under strict comportment. My face were without emotions. Afterall, I was guilty of nothing (or so I thought).

As I walked into the office, the elder man (PTA chairman) was looking almost piercingly at me. As if sizing me up. My presence caught him in the middle of his address to the gathering.
My Director asked me to take a seat; which I did. I infact, sat at the edge of my seat, still wondering why I was the only teacher that was called to such a gathering of not-so-happy-looking parents. My Director (also an elderly Muslim man) sensing my apprehension, asked me to relax with what I considered to be a mischievous grim on his face. Well...I knew better than to do as instructed. I was on guard.

"About 15 months Sir" I replied as loud enough as my dried throat will permit me. "The first 12 months was at Jalingo and just 3 months in Zaria." i quickly added emphatically.

"Where were you born?"
"Lagos but I did my first degree in the East. My family is still based in Lagos"
"Are you Igbo?"
"Yes Sir"
"That's good" he said thoughtfully as he continued to gaze at me as if studying my disposition.
The others just continue to look as us without saying a word. A few of them (matured men) were occupying the few seats in the office. The rest (mostly the hijab wearing women and young fathers) were standing.
"Our Children came home to complain that you are teaching them bad things. That you are saying negative things that they don't like in class. What is it that you are teaching them?"
At this moment, I almost felt like bursting out in laughter. I had to pinch myself to remain composed.

Well...to cut the story short, I took time to explain to the parents what it was that I taught. The Director even sent for my textbooks without allowing me to go get them myself. I don't know if they were nursing the impression that I might escape. Funny them! Escape for what? Mtcheeeu!

When my textbooks came, it was confirmed that I had actually taught in accordance to the dictates of the textbook for the case of the Jss3. As for the Jss1, the topic was actually confirmed to be on marriage too, but the textbook (which was an old textbook of course) was silent on the issue of same sex marriage.

I was given a very strict warning to stick only to the content of the textbook. In the course of all of the admonishment, the PTA Chairman was smiling, but I knew better than to take the smiles for their face value. This people were dead serious!

I have since swore to myself, that I shall never try to "do pass myself". if I teach and you understand....fine! if you don't.... that's your cup of tea! I can't come and kill myself.
This was my experience! I felt compelled to write it down in order to help save someone somewhere from falling into my kind of situation. That is wasn't attacked by the parents is infact a miracle that I thank God and the respectable PTA chairman for. My intentions were pure. But here in the North, intentions can easily be misinterpreted especially when coming from a non-muslim and worst still, from a Nyamiri.
I personally think there is still a need for mass sensitisation of the Northerner on the usefulness of Western Education. The illiteracy rate is high. Those that even manage to go to school are just doing it with the impression that it is merely to fulfill all righteousness. Little wonder why we keep discovering "torture houses" on a daily bases. If the University community of Zaria could be this timid, how much more the Northern interiors.

Thank you.

If this is true, then Ur very lucky. I wish my kid was in that school, u would have received the beating of ur miserable life.
How can u teach kids same sex marriage, when adults even frown at it.
Don't u know that Same sex marriage is illegal in Nigeria.
How blind are u not to notice ur boundaries.
Is the syllabus so difficult for u to comprehend, but same sex marriage flows into Ur brains like a lunatic.
I hope ur not planning to turn doz little kids into ur intimacy gadgets.
Finally,
Go and teach gay syllabus to ur family.

5 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Equity15(m): 7:42pm On Oct 23, 2019
adekunle0000:

THE NEXT DAY.

"Where were you born?"
"Are you Igbo?"
"Yes Sir"

Thank you.
modified*

O.P since you served in Taraba you should know how the and behave accordingly. your last paragraph is very true..there is need for mass sensitization. yes, I was born and bred in Lagos but I schooled in the north east. I'm currently serving in kano, a private school(as in to a high grade private school, one of the best in that axis). it's really an eye sore. where do I even start from? is that they are extremely dull or that they can't express themselves in simple English sentence or that lackadaisical attitude/ non chalance towards learning?
when I got my posting letter. I was happy I wasn't sent to a public school where they barely understand English language. I was asked to teach jss1 to jss3. I decided to make my first class an introduction class. where they'll stand, tell me thier name and best subject and I'll ask something related to the subject. students of jss1 and jss2 doesn't know what an odd or even number is. they don't know what the opposite of fat is? I was damn shocked!. asked them simple question they'll start blowing Hausa.
another thing, thier class are always boys only or girls only. so its divided into A, B,C . although some are mixed boys and girls with the boys taking a part of the class and the girls another part. could you believe parents would call the school to complain about thier girls being in mixed class with boys that they should take dem to a girls only class.

when i'm flogging and a girl says she's sick, the traditional way of checking for temperature(hand to.the neck) is like a reflex action to me but as my hand dey go once I remember say na north I quickly withdraw b4 I hear Wetin I no suppose hear. I just taya for these people. you go dey teach person go carry Quran dey read.
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Upworkwriter007(f): 7:45pm On Oct 23, 2019
adekunle0000:

THE NEXT DAY.

"Where were you born?"
"Are you Igbo?"
"Yes Sir"

Thank you.
Funny enough ur definition of marriage is wrong, in most countries around the world, the union of an individual of same sex is not marriage. Even in the US, its is not legal in many state. If we decide to be liberal, we could have as well defined it as a legal union between two individuals, objects and animals because in some climes such is legal. But u know how confusing that will be Right?. @ Calgalryfriend Even a professor in a nigerian university will avoid such definition because it hasn't achieved global acceptance, its not being knowledgeable, its being wrong.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by annyberry: 7:45pm On Oct 23, 2019
I could remember teaching sex education with d student at kano,d principal had to call me to his office and asked if d stuff was in d textbook had to show him d page........in short i had to jump so many topics to avoid wahala........

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Wagasigiungu(m): 7:46pm On Oct 23, 2019
We are not even talking about the outrage of him teaching junior secondary students about LGBT. People like OP make some folks dislike western education. How is teaching them about LGBT going to improve their grades or intellect. You chose to focus on something that is socio culturally, ethnically and constitutionally frowned upon and even illegal in Nigeria, and you want tua to praise you for being Liberal cos you are "educated" and you were born and raised in Lagos.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you got it wrong bro. You were so insensitive. The parents were very civil and cultured. They even knew the right channel to direct their grievance by going to the directors office and inviting the school chairman. This shows the school is well organised. It goes to show the children are also in sync with their parents and the parents in turn care about the education and welfare of their wards. They didn't judge you but gave you anopportunity to defend yourself in front of everyone, yet you dare to think they wanted to lynch you.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Upworkwriter007(f): 7:47pm On Oct 23, 2019
annyberry:
I could remember teaching sex education with d student at kano,d principal had to call me to his office and asked if d stuff was in d textbook had to show him d page........in short i had to jump so many topics to avoid wahala........
U can't even teach it in Texas, its not legal over there.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by annyberry: 7:51pm On Oct 23, 2019
Upworkwriter007:

U can't even teach it in Texas, its not legal over there.
My dear i had to leave dem wit dere way of life,i was even looking for an opportunity not to teach self one now presented itself, from dere i started teaching wat i like.
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Comanche(f): 7:56pm On Oct 23, 2019
abdulazeez1002:
Hello!

Yeah. Why are you asking?

I thought you were Yoruba.....

I wanted an objective opinion about something.

Thanks for replying.
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Welcomme: 8:01pm On Oct 23, 2019
Ogun will kill you... I teach same subject and in fact I taught same topic today. I taught them by sticking to the recommended textbook of the school. There are marriage related concept like homosexuality in the textbook, I briefly told them what it is and explicitly told them it is a crime/Illegal in Nigeria. Stop teaching children perversions. I wish I know the school in Zaria, I would have facilitate your sacking.

7 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by chiji89(m): 8:02pm On Oct 23, 2019
Reminds me of my service year in the north, ss1 students said they never heard of world 1&2
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Welcomme: 8:11pm On Oct 23, 2019
ArticleBeast:

It is clear you haven't lived in the North. I currently live in Zaria. They will lynch you for urinating close to their prayer ground. For the 4 years I have lived here, I have watched 3 thieves beaten to death, two thieves hands caught off based on sharia judgment, and I have seen a child rapist walk free. You think you know this people, then you are joking.
You are a lair. Tell me where they did all these things in Zaria. Where do you stay in Zaria? I was born and brought up in Zaria and never for once have I ever heard of all these nonsense you wrote up there.. You are a bloody liar. I am a Christian for your information.
When I was still taking alcohol, I take alcohol freely right here in Zaria. No form of harassment from anybody for once. Go to PZ, Sabo, Aviation, Samaru, Jushi, Angwa Godo, Kano road and see how guys are flexing very hard

Cc: Dominique

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Biritiko: 8:13pm On Oct 23, 2019
From the tone of this stupid op . He is obviously a Christian fanatic and has islamophobia .
He is pro pdp and anti buhari too .
Continue to let your stupid emotions take over you. We shall see .

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by adekunle0000: 8:14pm On Oct 23, 2019
Let me correct some false impressions here.
1) The entire event as narrated by me is not fiction. It is all facts as they had happened. There are no exaggeration whatsoever.
2) I was not teaching "sex education". The topic was "Marriage" in social studies.
3) I am not gay, neither am I a member of that community. I infact have a girlfriend that I shagg as mercilessly as my stamina can carry. But it is my personal believe that "the Eagle should be allowed to perch, likewise the Kite".
4) My mention of the LGBTQ community was in passing and was never dwelled on. My reference to the GEJ dispensation was only to highlight that this "global phenomenon" was already at our doorstep.
5) Part of my job description is to expose subject-matters as comprehensively as possible, highlight their merits and demerits; without making recommendations or drawing conclusion. Doing that will amount to indoctrination and not teaching.
6) I didn't not pick the topic. The syllabus does that. Topic that are not "supposed" to be treated shouldn't be on the syllabus.
7) Trying to justify an arrant display of timidity of the locals by referring the American phobia for communism is a shameless misrepresentation of facts. America is a country built upon personal liberty. It is a country where "intentions alone", doesn't constitute a crime. It is nowhere on records that communist sympathizers, and even outright deflectors were ever arrested. They were nevertheless placed under secret surveillance. An example is Lee Harvey Oswald (the communist deflector who assasinated JFK). He was a Russian returnee and was never arrested until after his crime. In as much as it is considered un-american to be a communist, they never hid it from their kids/students that communists do exist. Today the Soviet Union is no more. Russia is a democracy; not minding how flawed. China is incorporating some capitalist tenets into her system. They won't be doing this had the pretended to themselves that the otherside does not exist.
cool The take-home for me is that there are Cultural or more appropriately, social constraints that limits what is to be talked about, how it is to be talked about, where it is to be talked about and when it is to be talked about. These constraints, even though they may inhibit proper transmission of knowledge, you should just stick to it because that is what the locals want. No matter how at odd these constraints are with the contemporary learning process, they don't give a damn.

Lastly. I once complained to my most Beloved Father about the difficulties that comes with getting married to a well educated woman. The old man looked at me straight in the face. After a few quiet intervals, he opened his mouth and said
"My son, would you prefer to stay in a house with guns, married to a woman that doesn't know how to use them Or would you prefer a woman who knows how to use guns but sees no justification on why she should used them?"
Before I could attempt an answer, he hushed me up and asked me to think a little bit deeper.
"....because the answer you give will say a lot about who you are"
We've been having cases of mindless child molestations, rape, extremism and others. Many of these vices stems from the fact that we as a people have failed to confront the Facts of our fastchanging world. We have built for ourselves self-righteous cocoons where we justify being ignorant to be better than being tolerate. Yet we continue to remain underdeveloped and backward in every sense. Efforts that should rather be invested productively are wasted in a misplaced pursuit of long-held, yet illogically ideologies.
The north have continued to withhold knowledge from her people, yet she has not faired any better than the rest of the country. They still remain the most backward of the entire lot.
In the course of reading through comments on this hallowed platform, I have begin to develop serious concern on the analytic capability of some of my fellow countrymen. Only God can save us from what the future holds.
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Welcomme: 8:16pm On Oct 23, 2019
tayebest:

Leave him o! shocked

He thought he is the only one on Nairaland living in Zaria, grin grin
That guy is a bloody lair. In my 20 something years of being in Zaria, I have never in my life heard such nonsense he wrote.Cut who hand? For which area be that?
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by golddare: 8:21pm On Oct 23, 2019
You need to be careful, in your next class teach them whats in your lesson notes,the books and our laws, let them pass the information to their parents that their teachers have changed, respect their religion, culture and ignorance, then leave as soon as you finish your program, always avoid walking at night and dont be found wanting.
Finally you have a job to change their perception about you while you are there. Change is a difficult thing and with time and influx of the northerners to the south things will change for good.
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Wagasigiungu(m): 8:22pm On Oct 23, 2019
Comanche:

I thought you were Yoruba.....

I wanted an objective opinion about something.

Thanks for replying.

What do you want to enquire about? Some of us can still be very objective.
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by 12345baba(m): 8:28pm On Oct 23, 2019
U lucky say no be zamfara u do this thing
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Equity15(m): 8:32pm On Oct 23, 2019
QuiverBox:
PURE FICTION

1. You just had your second class, by the 3rd day you were invited to the "Director's" office; and you already knew the population of Parents on a daily basis?

2. You are a Graduate, and yet you went ahead to teach Same Sex Marraige knowing fully well it's a crime in Nigeria.

3. You kept using the word " Director" instead of the regular title " Principal" which is a common name of Individuals Heading a secondary school

4. Who actually employed you in the School? You are have been there, just under a week and the "Director" had to ask about information from you which he would have known before your employment

5. You used the word "My Office" very rare for a new teaching recuit to have an Office to himself/herself, usually you are placed in the Staff room with other teachers.

6. No single reference to any other teacher colleagues from the beginning till when you went to get the textbook or even after the session with the parents. Are you the only teacher in the School?

7. You were explaining Marraige to JSS1 student referencing LGBTQ and GEJ 2015 Elections, Seriously??
lmao!!! it's true oh
here in the north na director dem call proprietor/ owner of the school oh..It was funny when I discovered it
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by onward4life(m): 8:35pm On Oct 23, 2019
Lee29:
I think you should be in jail for teaching homosexuality to children. Homosexuality still attracts 14 years jail time according to Nigerian law

Ignore d bass stand op jare

This is gay thread !

Let dem Argue at d expense of Dia next month Nepa bill
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Equity15(m): 8:35pm On Oct 23, 2019
Boringdraw1:
Fabricated lies. Can someone run nysc and masters concurrently? NO
yes..very possible and read between the lines..O.P served in Taraba..don't just comment
Re: My Experience Teaching In Zaria by Wagasigiungu(m): 8:37pm On Oct 23, 2019
adekunle0000:
Let me correct some false impressions here.

The north have continued to withhold knowledge from her people, yet she has not faired any better than the rest of the country. They still remain the most backward of the entire lot.
In the course of reading through comments on this hallowed platform, I have begin to develop serious concern on the analytic capability of some of my fellow countrymen. Only God can save us from what the future holds.

Bros abeg hush!!!!

This is all damage control. We are educated enough to read between the lines and make inferences from your write up. All of us no fit sleep face thesame side na. Just change ur mindset and predisposition to your host community.

Do you honestly think all the commenters on here who called you out or have contrary views to yours are daft? Admit you were wrong and move past this. Shikenan. No one is infallible. Don't try and justify your wrong. Do you honestly believe you know better than the parents who would most likely be your elders by the way. Do you know what is best for theit kids? Perhaps when you become a parent in future, you would hv a different perspective and see things the way you should.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Kebbi School Has No New Mattresses Despite Receiving ₦5.6M / JAMB 2017 Examinations To Hold In May / 8 Types Of Food For Broke University Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 220
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.