Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,596 members, 7,820,140 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking (31790 Views)

'If My Wife Does Everything I Tell Her To Do, Then She's My Child, Not My Wife' / She Ran And Left Me With Our 1-Year-Old Child / My 18-Year-Old Maid And Her Boyfriends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by pstnicodemus(m): 3:12am On Oct 24, 2019
Oooops:
Hello Guys,

Kindly assist. I have an 18months old child (1year 6months) but he is yet to talk.

He only makes sounds and gesticulates. He also hum when baby sings are being played or atleast tries to blab along but that’s all.

He has not said any real thing like daddy or mummy or anything at all.

I have met children who are not up to 1yr or even 1yr and some months already talking. This is getting me worried. Should I be worried

Parents pls I need your opinion on what I should do.

Mods kindly assist for broader suggestions. Beginning to get desperate.

No use person clock take set your time, e fit no correct.
Nothing in the world is wrong with your baby. my son is 18 months and haven't started talking whereas, at this age my sister's baby could.
Please, your baby is unique, don't ever compare him to any other.
Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by FemDomCity: 5:38am On Oct 24, 2019
No problem, he is just taking his time
Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by Nobody: 6:01am On Oct 24, 2019
rollykotex:
Nothing serious. Since he hums, he's obviously not dumb. Children grow at different pace, some talk early while some don't. Same goes to every other developmental state. Some walk as early as 7months others 11months and even sometimes above that. That doesn't mean anything is wrong with the child.
Just continue to take good care of ur child and love him. You can enrol in a creche as mixing with other children also helps.
No cause for alarm.

this is why people are advised to seek professional help when matters like this come up. if this is the advice you give every parent in this situation do u know how many children with developmental issues will be missed simply because of this your advice?
@op it's good you are worried as it is unusual that a child at this age isn't talking. while in most cases it might not be a cause for alarm in certain cases it might point to developmental issues. so I'd advice that u ditch this advice and go see a paediatrician to ascertain that there's nothing wrong b4 u relax and assume everything is fine.

1 Like

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by bluefilm: 6:16am On Oct 24, 2019
I heard male babies take a while to start talking.

But even at that, there's no need to worry, because there's really nothing you can do to make the babe to start talking.

It is solely its choice to either talk or remain silent. grin grin grin
Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by Nobody: 6:56am On Oct 24, 2019
Nawa o and you carry this to nairaland.I suggest you go to a good hospital

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by Oooops: 7:01am On Oct 24, 2019
Nickshrapnel:
May you come back here to tell us that your baby is hyperactive and talks too much
Amen
Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by mailemy(m): 7:03am On Oct 24, 2019
Oooops:
Hello Guys,

Kindly assist. I have an 18months old child (1year 6months) but he is yet to talk.

He only makes sounds and gesticulates. He also hum when baby sings are being played or atleast tries to blab along but that’s all.

I have met children who are not up to 1yr or even 1yr and some months already talking. This is getting me worried. Should I be worried

Check underneath his tongue to see if it's joined together and should be removed but if not,nothing to panic about. He's taking his time.

1 Like

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by uzoezieh(f): 7:17am On Oct 24, 2019
It is peculiar to boys they don't talk early even my son who is 18months now is the same the girl child of his age is talking now but he is yet to talk,
Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by Edipet(m): 8:01am On Oct 24, 2019
don't worry he Will definitely start talking, just pray about it. According to my mum I was able to talked at 2+
Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by Acidosis(m): 8:01am On Oct 24, 2019
Bonatheripper:
Maybe he's not a talkative or there's nothing to talk about

this na pure crase grin grin

1 Like

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by 1sttruth: 8:37am On Oct 24, 2019
Pls do not let anyone deceive you, be it a doctor or these ones in naira land. Your baby is absolutely normal and will talk in due time
Take best care of him
Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by TSpayne: 8:46am On Oct 24, 2019
Sure the doctor lost his credentials but I think that was a bit harsh. Thermisol and mercury preservatives in MMR are the components implicated and not the actual attenuated microbes.

The debate isn't about vaccines itself but the preservation and other additives.

Personally, I don't know what anyone has to gain by falsifying research. He was just made a scapegoat to discourage further investigators.

midnighter:

The person who started (and falsified) that research was disgraced and stripped of his medical credentials almost 10 years ago!

It has side effects and it affects some children badly but theres no evidence yet for a link

This rumour is what the Russians are using to undermine public health and epidemiology in the western world, now UK has lost its measles-free status because everybody there is panicking
Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by IFELEKE(m): 8:48am On Oct 24, 2019
Oooops:
Hello Guys,

OP,
No cause for alarm, your child is okay from what you highlighted. Each child is unique and the only thing we can do is to care for them and nurture them in their uniqueness.
Obviously, your child loves nursery ryhmes so load him with lots of it also gesticulate and use baby lingos while talking to him.
You may also watch the language you use at home, children often get confused when we speak more than one language frequently at home.
Conclusively, bond more with him, he'll surprise you soon...
Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by Pusyiter(m): 8:49am On Oct 24, 2019
Check if the child has tongue tie.
It may be a cause for delayed talking
Oooops:
Hello Guys,

3 Likes

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by TSpayne: 8:51am On Oct 24, 2019
Bbbwings:

Vaccine saves lives
There is no debate

Not about vaccines (attenuated viruses) but the preservatives used in conjunction with them.
Nobody ever questioned the contributions of polio, BCG, etc to public health & safety. MMR is really the sticky issue here.

1 Like

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by maasoap(m): 8:56am On Oct 24, 2019
aoofbeautifulme:
Good evening op
This is what happens when all you do is search google to bring up a child
Anyways check to see that his tongue is not tied down and if you have agbo (herb sellers) people around not the hawkers oooooo
Talk to them,
they should be able to help

Help him to talk by giving him agbo? Laughing. You should have stopped at tongue checking

1 Like

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by maasoap(m): 9:00am On Oct 24, 2019
akpunda86:

You are very stupid truly. why compare ur kids progress with others .are u far better than your mates.can you be faster than nature.u should be happy that he hums and u here crying.woman pls delete this thread and go look after ur baby for noting wrong WITH him

Many are mad but only few are roaming the street. Go back home to daddy and mummy and learn more on how to be civilised, courteous and moderate when contributing to issues like this.

2 Likes

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by midnighter(f): 9:05am On Oct 24, 2019
Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by midnighter(f): 9:09am On Oct 24, 2019
DominusPrime:
this is why people are advised to seek professional help when matters like this come up. if this is the advice you give every parent in this situation do u know how many children with developmental issues will be missed simply because of this your advice?
@op it's good you are worried as it is unusual that a child at this age isn't talking. while in most cases it might not be a cause for alarm in certain cases it might point to developmental issues. so I'd advice that u ditch this advice and go see a paediatrician to ascertain that there's nothing wrong b4 u relax and assume everything is fine.

The thing is that babies of this age are supposed to be summoned for regular monitoring for their development and their vaccines. The doctor usually checks for these milestones So I assumed that she already went for check-up but is still doubting the doctors advice

Well I assume so anyway
Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by kolade560: 9:54am On Oct 24, 2019
Don't leave the baby like that. You can contact 07033873814 for check up.......it's not normal at a least he shud be stuttering by now.

1 Like

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by peeps4u: 9:55am On Oct 24, 2019
peacettw:
Hahahahaha. What will you then say about my 2 year 2 month old who is yet to utter a word except bye?

He can hum to all the songs in my phone though and goes on little errands like fetch me my phone but he simply can't speak.

I don't think you should worry so much.

I hope you're not worried about that?
Once he can say "bye" or utter a certain word, it already shows he's not dumb and will talk in due time.

My son could only utter "one" and few words while he was around 1yr, till he became over two years, he couldn't utter much words, especially when outside despite not being a shy boy, except making hand gesture. The pressure was coming from everybody and getting much on my wife and the lil boy; like he was dumb or something but I kept telling my wife that my son wasn't dumb because he used to say "one, two, three......" along with me and that he would talk well in his own time. He's fine now, doing well. Already in KG2 at 3

2 Likes

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by Reference(m): 10:21am On Oct 24, 2019
There are other things to look out for to confirm if there is a problem but I have not the time to exp.
Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by crossfm: 10:35am On Oct 24, 2019
Oooops:
Hello Guys,

have you chaked for tongue tie.my sisters son had the same experience.the irony of it all is that my sister gave birth at one of the best hospital in the city where she stays.the child can now talk but slow a bit.

2 Likes

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by midnighter(f): 10:48am On Oct 24, 2019
TSpayne:

Sure the doctor lost his credentials but I think that was a bit harsh. Thermisol and mercury preservatives in MMR are the components implicated and not the actual attenuated microbes.

The debate isn't about vaccines itself but the preservation and other additives.

Personally, I don't know what anyone has to gain by falsifying research. He was just made a scapegoat to discourage further investigators.

Yes, they were heavy-handed with him because they needed to quash the panic. The pharmaceutical companies and government contractors will not want any bad publicity to affect their profits. Terrible but true

Im not saying that there is definitely nothing wrong but we shouldnt be basing our decisions on unfounded rumours and end up aiding the resurgence of devastating diseases which ought to have been wiped out decades ago.

Why should we still be having polio in this country on top of all the other crazy problems that we are suffering? Unless we want to provide wheelchairs and disabled access to all those afflicted children, we should keep shut and take our vaccine until we ourselves can invent a better one.

You dont know what anybody has to gain by falsifying research? Apart from fame, riches, prizes and adoration for the rest of his days and beyond

1 Like

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by Moscodee1990(m): 11:06am On Oct 24, 2019
Hmm, my friends son will be 3 years next week, still can't talk,
Just � seek for professional medical advice asap.

1 Like

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by musabayokanu: 12:05pm On Oct 24, 2019
Some months ago I was apprehensive like you.
My wife kept onbassuring me that he is fine.

Finally at 2yrs and 1month he started saying things like I'm fine, mummy daddy, No, come and all.
Today he is much better though not not parrot.

Oooops:
Hello Guys,

1 Like

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by peacettw: 12:18pm On Oct 24, 2019
peeps4u:

I hope you're not worried about that?
Once he can say "bye" or utter a certain word, it already shows he's not dumb and will talk in due time.

My son could only utter "one" and few words while he was around 1yr, till he became over two years, he couldn't utter much words, especially when outside despite not being a shy boy, except making hand gesture. The pressure was coming from everybody and getting much on my wife and the lil boy; like he was dumb or something but I kept telling my wife that my son wasn't dumb because he used to say "one, two, three......" along with me and that he would talk well in his own time. He's fine now, doing well. Already in KG2 at 3

I am not worried at all. Just trying to calm the nerves of the op

1 Like

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by Clintonx01(m): 1:20pm On Oct 24, 2019
My kid sister didn't talk till she was 3 years old. 3!!!

Fast forward to almost 2 decades later, she is still and has been a quiet girl. She doesn't talk much but wait till she is around people she's comfortable with! Lol!

Your child will definitely talk, no problem here.

1 Like

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by KraticKratus: 1:24pm On Oct 24, 2019
Brightgem:
It's okay to not contribute to a discussion. You can't be this unfortunate in life and still come and show it online. Pity!

See dem.

I wish DNA tests would become compulsory. All you bringing bastards into your husbands' homes will be put to shame.
Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by danny086(m): 2:51pm On Oct 24, 2019
don't be worried,,he will talk,,by niece passed through same.
Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by Brightgem(f): 3:11pm On Oct 24, 2019
KraticKratus:

See dem.

I wish DNA tests would become compulsory. All you bringing bastards into your husbands' homes will be put to shame.
Shut up abeg! Because you have surrounded urself by useless people, doesn't mean the whole world is useless.

It's not fellow men like you that go doing monkey business with women they know are married. Or maybe your wife did that to you, now you are bitter against the whole world. Sorry o! Mr. DNA.

Now stop talking, because you are derailing the topic anyways.

1 Like

Re: My 18-Month-Old Child Not Talking by Eminya(f): 9:25pm On Oct 24, 2019
Oooops:
Hello Guys,

My first child was almost 2 before he started talking and even now at 4 he still doesnt say much, but my second child is a talker. She just clocked 2 but can talk for Africa.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Signs Of An Irresponsible Man / 24 Things A Mum Teaches Her Daughter Before Marriage!! / 4-year-old South African Girl Destroys The Dance Floor, Trends Online. Reactions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.