Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,390 members, 7,819,397 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others (50989 Views)

Ghanaian Traders Lament Over Nigeria Border Closure / President Akufo-Addo Speaks On Nigeria Border Closure / Ghana Resorts To Diplomacy To Get Nigeria Border Opened (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by Nobody: 11:16pm On Oct 23, 2019
wow I salute this mans intelligence now people will understand why bubu said everyone should farm especially rice�
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by Hangulsaram: 12:26am On Oct 24, 2019
larryking540:

Bro how much is minimum wage? then ask urself if Wat u just type make sense,,,, keep on deceiving urself that local rice is more nutritional than the foreign rice,,,,

enjoy ur local rice and visit hospital for Appendix check up by January 1st
Please sir don’t misunderstand me, my question is centered on the “higher price”
Both the foreign and local rice are costly considering the minimum wage, Yes but my concern is making it available and well processed.
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by Hangulsaram: 12:28am On Oct 24, 2019
Ishilove:

There is everything wrong with it. Why must we buy it a high price in the first place? The whole idea of limiting importation of foreign rice is to boost the local production. It makes no sense that we are buying the locally made rice at a higher price when we can buy the foreign counterpart at a lower. They need to give the farmers more incentives to produce at a lower cost instead of making policies that is making life harder than it already is for the average Nigerian.
When has the local rice be higher than the foreign counterpart? The price sky rocketed because of scarcity of the foreign rice and the little foreign one available also increased in price.
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by grandstar(m): 12:57am On Oct 24, 2019
Afamed:

Nigeria has no comparative advantage/ production for Rice? You must definitely be typing far away in Asia

Prove to me that Nigeria has comparative advantage? I've just bought popcorn. I'm listening

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by grandstar(m): 1:01am On Oct 24, 2019
djon78:

Yes the import duty should be high
To discourage import and encourage local production
Government is Right

We lack comparative advantage in rice production.

it's like telling a very fat man to engage in Sprint competition. He can partake but he'll never win.

But use him in shot put and you have a winner.

You're better off importing the things you lack comparative advantage in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by grandstar(m): 1:04am On Oct 24, 2019
RTSC:

Rice is a staple food. It is not a luxury for a few rich people that you can decide to overlook.
We cannot keep losing billions and billions of dollars to its imports.

We need to start encouraging local production.

What do you mean losing ? Nigerians benefit immensely from it
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by kotv: 1:08am On Oct 24, 2019
Nigerians are so easily deceived, it is sad. You have to be very stupid or gullible to believe the accuracy of this report. Thailand and India are the two largest rice exporters to all over the world, especially Asia and African countries. How gullible do you have to be to think Nigeria closure will affect both countries when they have larger markets than Nigeria they cater to. Did other African countries and Asian countries, including Middle Eastern countries, close their borders too?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by tony1918(m): 1:18am On Oct 24, 2019
stagger:

The masses can cultivate rice on even one plot, and get enough rice from that plot in 3 months to feed for 2 years.

We should stop this nonsense we are doing: enriching countries like India and Thailand.

If Nigeria had boycotted MTN during the xenophobic attacks, that company would have lost half its revenues.
You should stop been shallow with your thinking..Why can’t the FG supply the farmers with reasonable loans,subsidies farm tools and help fund research towards attaining well polished grain rice ..They should stop leaving the masses to suffer at the end
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by googi: 1:40am On Oct 24, 2019
Sir, your thinking does not meet any economic model even in Nigeria where supply and demand fail.

Any Country would feel the loss of about 200 million people even if only half of them eat rice.

What is the population of France, England, Germany or the Switzerland compared to Nigerians demand for rice.

Do you remember people's drink (champagne) demand in Nigeria?

kotv:
Nigerians are so easily deceived, it is sad. You have to be very stupid or gullible to believe the accuracy of this report. Thailand and India are the two largest rice exporters to all over the world, especially Asia and African countries. How gullible do you have to be to think Nigeria closure will affect both countries when they have larger markets than Nigeria they cater to. Did other African countries and Asian countries, including Middle Eastern countries, close their borders too?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by Blue3k(m): 2:36am On Oct 24, 2019
grandstar:

Prove to me that Nigeria has comparative advantage? I've just bought popcorn. I'm listening

I doubt he'll give you a counter argument so I will. Nigeria might have a competitive advantage in rice if they practiced industrial farming. Nigeria consumption needs could be satisfied by doubling yield per acre. PWC published a report about it. The problem is people obsess or inports and smuggling instead of productivity.

The advantage doesn't exist currently but could in future.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by naptu2: 3:16am On Oct 24, 2019
Ishilove:

There is everything wrong with it. Why must we buy it a high price in the first place? The whole idea of limiting importation of foreign rice is to boost the local production. It makes no sense that we are buying the locally made rice at a higher price when we can buy the foreign counterpart at a lower. They need to give the farmers more incentives to produce at a lower cost instead of making policies that is making life harder than it already is for the average Nigerian.

https://www.nairaland.com/5489604/rice-sellers-re-bagging-local-rice
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by awoluyi(m): 4:57am On Oct 24, 2019
Afamed:

My brother no pain no gain. If ordinary foods items( Rice and Chicken) at this 21century, we are still relying on importation, then I think our existence as a nation is threaten.

If I have my way, all the nations of the world should close their borders against Nigeria for one whole year. This will surely force us to start thinking. Everything is now imported (tokunbo) to our country. Even our brains have become "tokunborized."
It's a same that in the 21st century we still depend on other nations to solve our "stomach infrastructural " problems. We appear to have lost our pride as a people.
As a protest, I have banned eating of imported rice in my house.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by Afamed: 5:39am On Oct 24, 2019
loswhite:
it is always about the investors...smh. what about the citizens?
Are you one of the the smugglers?
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by Afamed: 5:41am On Oct 24, 2019
tony1918:
You should stop been shallow with your thinking..Why can’t the FG supply the farmers with reasonable loans,subsidies farm tools and help fund research towards attaining well polished grain rice ..They should stop leaving the masses to suffer at the end
Go to Kebbi, Kano and the recent one Coshcaris rice in Anambra. FG has been giving loans at very reasonable % to various farmers in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by Area4Area: 5:56am On Oct 24, 2019
Afamed:

Go to Kebbi, Kano and the recent one Coshcaris rice in Anambra. FG has been giving loans at very reasonable % to various farmers in Nigeria
Don't give heed to those smugglers, they've been losing money and their source of livelihood since the closure, hence their anger.
How can a sane Nigerian not to be happy with this wise decision by the government?
Buhari will definitely fall my hand if opens up the border any soon.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by Afamed: 6:11am On Oct 24, 2019
grandstar:

If you are still lying on your bed at this 21th century telling me to prove to you Nigeria comparative advantage for production of rice. I think you as a person needs to re examing yourself. The problem with people like you is the feeding bottles attitude that has long deposited .When has production of rice become a rocket science? If a population of 200,000,000 with approximately 923,763km3 land mass can not produce Rice. Then like I said early, our existence is threaten.
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by olash: 6:42am On Oct 24, 2019
odave:

Abeg what's so difficult for Nigeria farmers to get a better seed from wherever they can, plant here, parboil and give us good rice? Everything na rocket science for naija.

Imagine using local rice to make fried rice, lol

You can also start somewhere
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by tiwiex(m): 6:49am On Oct 24, 2019
Afamed:

it only hits hard on the smugglers in Nigeria. Genuine investors are smiling to the banks
And consumers are groaning. I like the idea behind the border closure but arguing in favor of investors at the expense of the common man doesn't sound like a good argument. So, the closure was to favor business men? How to we ensure production matches need at the right price? With this argument, it doesn't matter if they produce adequately as long as they keep smiling to the bank. Merry Christmas in advance bros.
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by tiwiex(m): 6:52am On Oct 24, 2019
Afamed:

If you are still lying on your bed at this 21th century telling me to prove to you Nigeria comparative advantage for production of rice. I think you as a person needs to re examing yourself. The problem with people like you is the feeding bottles attitude that has long deposited .When has production of rice become a rocket science? If a population of 200,000,000 with approximately 923,763km3 land mass can not produce Rice. Then like I said early, our existence is threaten.

The challenge has little to do with comparative advantage. The states are not even designed to look inwards. Free money from Abuja. If they need to look inwards at their potentials, this rice production would have been fixed a long time ago. I think the border closure is a great idea but is there an incentive for states and regions to tap their resources smartly? If you ask me, restructure first, then close border or reduce quota of rice imports over time so supply matches demand eventually.
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by NOETHNICITY(m): 8:08am On Oct 24, 2019
odave:

No one is disputing that fact. What I mean is the Nigerian comsumers. The government did the right but it's hitting hard on us consumers too. No need to pretend here. I will miss those rice
Pls, don't put 'us' in ur statement, because I ain't missing those dump u call foreign rice which are tasteless and devoid of fibre.

For the past 2yrs, I have not bought or cooked foreign rice in my house. Yesterday, I priced a half bag of local rice and it still goes for 8k. So what's all the fuse about.
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by NOETHNICITY(m): 8:15am On Oct 24, 2019
kotv:
Pls. give one example of market larger than Nigeria that Thailand cater for.
Just one example backed with fact
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by caprini1: 8:23am On Oct 24, 2019
DBossNG:

Sincerely, we do not know our worth.
We know our worth, we were just been nice ,but now the Sheriff in charge no send anybody,and thats the only thing i like about him.
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by grandstar(m): 8:56am On Oct 24, 2019
Afamed:

Oga, Oga Oga, the ability to produce is different from having comparative advantage. Read below.

https://www.investopedia.com
Jun 25, 2019 - Comparative advantage is an economic term that refers to an economy's ability to produce goods and services at a lower opportunity cost than that of trade partners. A comparative advantage gives a company the ability to sell goods and services at a lower price than its competitors and realize stronger sales margins.

https://www.thebalance.com/comparative-advantage-3305915
Comparative advantage is when a country produces a good or service for a lower opportunity cost than other countries. Opportunity cost measures a trade-off. A nation with a comparative advantage makes the trade-off worth it. The benefits of buying their good or service outweigh the disadvantages. The country may not be the best at producing something. But the good or service has a low opportunity cost for other countries to import.

For example, oil-producing nations have a comparative advantage in chemicals. Their locally-produced oil provides a cheap source of material for the chemicals when compared to countries without it. A lot of the raw ingredients are produced in the oil distillery process. As a result, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Mexico are competitive with U.S. chemical production firms. Their chemicals are inexpensive, making their opportunity cost low.

Another example is India's call centers. U.S. companies buy this service because it is cheaper than locating the call center in America. Indian call centers aren't better than U.S. call centers. Their workers don't always speak English very clearly. But they provide the service cheaply enough to make the tradeoff worth it.

Nigeria produces rice but it is very expensive. That is a simple sign that the country lacks comparative advantage in rice production. Another sign is that to produce this rice, it has to skyrocket import duties to make imported rice expensive. A third sign that the country lacks comparative advantage is the massive smuggling of the product across the border.

If you truly have comparative advantage in something, you need not fear competition from overseas. Nigerians aren't afraid of plantain importation or cocoa importation. In these commodities, we no carry last. Nigeria has comparative advantage in. For rice however, it is a different story

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by one1prax(m): 9:15am On Oct 24, 2019
you ain't lying
mrjojo:
No thanks to WordPress now, the proliferation of "website designer" all over the place, All of you guys keep spamming all front-page thread, oga, anybody with half a brain can design a website these days, with WordPress and other cms, i will advive you upgrade, learn nodejs, angular, vue, d3.js cos very very soon, website design rate will be going for as low as 2k. Be wise
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by omoharry(f): 9:18am On Oct 24, 2019
odave:

No one is disputing that fact. What I mean is the Nigerian comsumers. The government did the right but it's hitting hard on us consumers too. No need to pretend here. I will miss those rice
True.Our local rice is terrible and expensive as if it was smuggled.I think government should open the border, pending when our local farmers are ready to do business properly.How can our local rice that is not even clean and sweet like the rice from Thailand and India is now twice as expensive and not even available for Nigerians to buy.
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by Area4Area: 9:26am On Oct 24, 2019
omoharry:
True.Our local rice is terrible and expensive as if it was smuggled.I think government should open the border, pending when our local farmers are ready to do business properly.How can our local rice that is not even clean and sweet like the rice from Thailand and India is now twice as expensive and not even available for Nigerians to buy.
This is how we we know smugglers or those close or related to them, by their posts we shall know them.
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by omoharry(f): 9:38am On Oct 24, 2019
isthatso:

try and be patriotic for once, America is a great country because the average American will always choose the American product over imported even when the foreign one is better. Must you eat rice?
why dont you start by keeping your street and environment clean by not throwing rubbish through your car windows and in drainage .Then also ensure you obey all traffic regulation,stop driving against traffic light and using one way against traiifc so that your country will be livable for all Nigerians as well as visitors.Nigeria it is a shithole because we treat it like trash since nobody cares ..No be only rice matter you remember patriotism. Start buying only made in Nigerian clothes and shoes, buy your car from Innoson cars instead of a foreign cars like Mercedes, Honda,Kia, and Toyota and ensure all the things you use on a daily basis are produced in Nigeria..then we will understand what you mean by patriotism..no be only rice matter you go remember to be a patriot. Patriotism my foot.

As for the rice issue what l see, is the government taking drastic action without proper planing,We masses are the one suffering it becos we now have buy our local rice at a very expensive prices(twice the price of the foreign rice that is clean and sweeter) ,I wonder why?. I thought this is the time for local seller to provide ans sell their rice at the normal price so that Nigeria will forget about the Foreign rice but their greed will not allow them.They made the local rice scares so that they can shoot up the price of rice beyond the reach of the common man in this already harsh terrain and you are here praising this government for their poor planing tactic.
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by odave: 9:38am On Oct 24, 2019
GreenArrow1:

A lot of you are really ignorant fah (No insult intended). So you are not aware of Nigerian stone-free rice which is just like foreign rice? You can use that to make fried rice and it'll come out just fine.

Mr know-it-all who is talking about stone here? Ode
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by omoharry(f): 9:41am On Oct 24, 2019
Area4Area:
This is how we we know smugglers or those close or related to them, by their posts we shall know them.
Abeg park one corner..why you nor go talk when you don eat your belle full with little regard for the common that cannot afford rice anymore..
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 24, 2019
omoharry:
why dont you start by keeping your street and environment clean by not throwing rubbish through your car windows and in drainage .Then also ensure you obey all traffic regulation,stop driving against traffic light and using one way against traiifc so that your country will be livable for all Nigerians as well as visitors.Nigeria it is a shithole because we treat it like trash since nobody cares ..No be only rice matter you remember patriotism. Start buying only made in Nigerian clothes and shoes, buy your car from Innoson cars instead of a foreign cars like Mercedes, Honda,Kia, and Toyota and ensure all the things you use on a daily basis are produced in Nigeria..then we will understand what you mean by patriotism..no be only rice matter you go remember to be a patriot. Patriotism my foot.

As for the rice issue what l see, is the government taking drastic action without proper planing,We masses are the one suffering it becos we now have buy our local rice at a very expensive prices(twice the price of the foreign rice that is clean and sweeter) ,I wonder why?. I thought this is the time for local seller to provide ans sell their rice at the normal price so that Nigeria will forget about the Foreign rice but their greed will not allow them.They made the local rice scares so that they can shoot up the price of rice beyond the reach of the common man in this already harsh terrain and you are here praising this government for their poor planing tactic.

why dont you just so suck a dick?
Re: Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others by Area4Area: 10:32am On Oct 24, 2019
omoharry:
Abeg park one corner..why you nor go talk when you don eat your belle full with little regard for the common that cannot afford rice anymore..
Don't go join your mates to go start rice farming, poultry or catfish farming, be waiting for cheap foreign rice from Benin.
Nigeria's land borders are shut for now, deal with it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Funny Reactions As Nigerians React To Tinubu's Prayers In Jos / Adebayo Shittu: Some Of Tinubu’s Female Ministers Dress Like Beauty Contestants / Bolu Okupe, Doyin Okupe's Hot Son, A Manchester Based Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.