Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,191 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit (41917 Views)

Share Your Secondary School Experience With Bullies / Cynthia Chizoba Okoye Graduates As Doctor From Tulane University Medical School / My Medical School Diary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by moststylish(m): 3:44pm On Oct 24, 2019
Fyi0:

Medical school is so thoroughly overhyped. The time, energy, unparalleled dedication and relentless hard work and passion it'll take a person to get a pharmacy degree is enough to acquire three medicine and surgery degrees.

You wrote medicine and surgery countless times? Lol
Fail just two times in pharmacy school and you're shown the way out of the faculty immediately.
you are talking rubbish,do you know what pre medicine is and post medicine. In pre medicine once you fail MBBS exam you are given another chance to resist, if you fail again you are out but in post medicine which is clinical you have the privilege to write rewrite up to 5 times

5 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by alfarouq(m): 4:39pm On Oct 24, 2019
Yeah God bless your efforts.
Since we are here, I will like the good people of nairaland to help differentiate between persistence and obsession. I feel it's actually a thing line between persistence and obsession. I am sure if the OP didn't actually made it after several attempts, some people will accuse him of been obsessed with it. I have seen people that wasted parts of their lives pursuing something they couldn't get until the end.

2 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Pharaoh4rin(m): 4:58pm On Oct 24, 2019
Wait, wait, waiiiit!!
Is this still NL?
I've read thru all d comments so far and no one has doubted d story nor has insulted or criticized d op. I'm impressed!

2 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by dunsin125: 5:12pm On Oct 24, 2019
alfarouq:
Yeah God bless your efforts.
Since we are here, I will like the good people of nairaland to help differentiate between persistence and obsession. I feel it's actually a thing line between persistence and obsession. I am sure if the OP didn't actually made it after several attempts, some people will accuse him of been obsessed with it. I have seen people that wasted parts of their lives pursuing something they couldn't get until the end.
most times, we give things name based on how they turn. Imagine a guy standing up to SARS and at the end of the day, they get arrested, we call that bravery but when the guy dies, we call it stupidity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by mechanics(m): 5:32pm On Oct 24, 2019
It was only God that saw you through, that's why spiritual things can only be tackled through prayers, congrats for your break through.

4 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Longluk: 5:48pm On Oct 24, 2019
E wo oooo....which medical school ooooo. Egbami! Once u failed once here , u are repeating. And once u repeat 2 times in class,
u will be shown the way to ur house.

This OP study dentistry not MBBS. He is just misinforming the public.

moststylish:
you are talking rubbish,do you know what pre medicine is and post medicine. In pre medicine once you fail MBBS exam you are given another chance to resist, if you fail again you are out but in post medicine which is clinical you have the privilege to write rewrite up to 5 times
Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Nobody: 6:18pm On Oct 24, 2019
moststylish:
What difference does it make? In pre- pharmacy school which is 100 level, if you fail a single course you repeat. Throughout the course of your pharmacy school you are not allowed to repeat twice.

The fact is Pharmacy school is far more tough than medical school.

2 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Nobody: 6:19pm On Oct 24, 2019
midnighter:

But how come people just open up stores and begin to sell drugs when they are clearly not pharmacists

Isnt it supposed to be reserved for you people alone?
It is a very unfortunate thing. And this only happens in Nigeria. I wonder why the president is yet to sign the Pharmacy bill into law..
Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by midnighter(f): 6:26pm On Oct 24, 2019
Fyi0:

It is a very unfortunate thing. And this only happens in Nigeria. I wonder why the president is yet to sign the Pharmacy bill into law..

Okay, hopefully he does that because I dont see why people will just be importing drugs anyhow

And people will come here with one kind of rash on their face that they rubbed cream from the chemist and it didnt work. Was that place actually a pharmacy with a licensed pharmacist
Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by greenalwaz: 7:03pm On Oct 24, 2019
Mikolion87:
I want to share some of my bitter experiences in the medical school and how I scaled through just to motivate someone here. You never know who may be going through same experience.

I attended a Federal government College and I was amongst those students known for academic excellence through hard work and consistent dedication. I was above average. Graduated and got admission to study Dental Surgery (Dentistry) and by implication, Medicine and Surgery as well. My first Professional Medical exams (2nd MBBS) was Hitch-free as I blazed my courses, both the medical and the dental courses (2nd BDS). Experienced a little hitch in my 3rd MBBS exam, but pulled through.

The main challenge started in my fifth year, training in Medicine and Surgery under the Faculty of Medicine (4th BDS). I suffered an ailment which distracted me.. Came usually before my exams and made me lose focus. I wrote Medicine and Surgery numerous times without Passing. At a point I was asked to withdraw. My Faculty doubted that I would be able to pull through with the rigorous training in Medicine. After numerous applications, I was called back to continue owing to the health challenge I suffered. A bizarre challenge with nonspecific symptoms. All signs pointed to spiritual causes, my family and some of my lecturers asked me to quit school and go into trading or change course. But I kept telling whoever cared to listen that, it doesn't matter how long it takes, I must finish what I started.

One thing I ensured to do was to buckle up my spiritual life, I prayed harder and also worked harder each time I failed. I wrote the two courses (Medicine and Surgery) for up to six times. At a point I also suspected that my Faculty (Dentistry) was responsible for my numerous failures owing to the revolt I once organized in writing against the Faculty for some irregularities perpetrated by some lecturers and the Faculty Officer.

It came to the point that, I was given one more attempt before they relieve me of my studies. At this point I almost gave up. But I remembered how I started, my academic history from secondary school days and my early phase of medical school. My family and friends (many of who were already working and doing well) at a point also lost hope. I had to look at myself on the mirror and talk to the image I was staring at. Look, it doesn't matter how many times you have failed, the past doesn't have to define the future.

I dusted my books yet again and plunged into rigorous study routines. Sometimes on empty stomach, some other times, on my knees. I read like never before, and prayed too. I remembered all the years I had already spent and it became a Do or Die affair for me. When the results came out, I was the second best in Surgery. That was how I survived and reclaimed my lost glory.

I went into my Final Dental Surgery exam with hope and vigor. To the dismay of my lecturers who had already tagged me "not serious" I BLASTED (according to the word used by one of my lecturers). I became a thoroughly trained DOCTOR and a DENTAL SURGEON.

LESSONS:

Beyond the Medical training, I believe that my training was in all aspects of LIFE generally. I learnt Patience, Commitment, Faith, Humility, Hope, Kindness, Persistence, Hard work, and Caution. I believe that God allowed me go through this training just so to prepare me for a life of Greatness. For a house that would stand the test of time, must take time to build in all accuracy and strength. So is with the passing of gold through fire.

I also learned that life is not just Physical but also Spiritual. We have no control of certain spiritual occurrences and that is where we need a Supernatural interference.

MOTIVATION:

If you find yourself in similar situation or even worse, Never give up. Focus your gaze only on what you're pursuing and pay no attention to the turbulence and other distracting voices around. Keep improving at every stage, and with time the naysayers shall one day praise you for your indomitable spirit. Be strong.

Congrats

1 Like

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 7:09pm On Oct 24, 2019
isthatso:
Imagine going to see a doctor and he/ she is talking about spiritual causes, you be babalawo? Abeg let us know where you work so I make sure I don’t go there.

Lol.. Just be open minded and know there are numerous realities that exist, except that you haven't experienced all. We all speak base on our realities. Use your tongue to count your teeth

2 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 7:14pm On Oct 24, 2019
kman3000:
Congrats on passing out, but I think you are misinforming the public on your degree. 1. What is written on your certificate? 2. Are you a dentist? Because you are giving the impression that you passed exams for both medicine and surgery and at the same time for dentistry. Anyways, congrats once again.

Lol... I'm not misinforming the public. Dentists write medical exams too. You may want to check my posts on the curriculum of dentistry.. I hope you're not mistaking dentists with other dental auxiliaries who are trained in schools of dental technology and others.

4 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 7:17pm On Oct 24, 2019
kman3000:
exactly what is on my mind, he is misinforming the public on his degree.

I'm sure you already know. Those doing MBBS do not write BDS, But those in BDS also write MBBS exams except a few courses.

4 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 7:20pm On Oct 24, 2019
afrodoc2:

Sakamanje story. Which Uni did you attend that you were allowed to study both Medicine & Surgery AND Dentistry?

You will soon take over from Liar Mohammed.

Why not be civilized, ask your questions and be duly educated or enlightened.

3 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 7:22pm On Oct 24, 2019
Electricboy:

sir, I'm sorry to ask this question but those times that you wrote the exam 5 times , did you spend extra 5 years ?

Some of the exams were taken as resits after 3 months of writing the main. Although in all, I spent up to 10 years.

4 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by midnighter(f): 7:26pm On Oct 24, 2019
Mikolion87:

I'm sure you already know. Those doing MBBS do not write BDS, But those in BDS also write MBBS exams except a few courses.

You'd better go back and modify it to show what courses you rewrote. Most people dont understand what dentists study, they just think you yarn teeth for 7 years. And people get confused between dentist, dental nurse, dental hygienist, etc

I used to tease my dentist friends before they explained what actually the whole thing is about. head and neck, bones, nerves, blood vessels, blah blah. I was surprised

You will be explaining yourself all evening o. And people in here have some bad attitude. They will not understand and would rather insult you than ask you to clarify. As if doctors and dentists will never cross paths and never study each other's courses...rubbish

6 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Maid007: 7:28pm On Oct 24, 2019
Longluk:
E wo oooo....which medical school ooooo. Egbami! Once u failed once here , u are repeating. And once u repeat 2 times in class,

It's not the matter of dentistry or MBBS...

In Preclinicals, u would get withdrawn when u repeat twice.... But in clinicals, like someone above me rightly mentioned, u are allowed to repeat five times (at least, that's how it's done in my school)....

3 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Umorosky17(m): 7:33pm On Oct 24, 2019
Fyi0:

What difference does it make? In pre- pharmacy school which is 100 level, if you fail a single course you repeat. Throughout the course of your pharmacy school you are not allowed to repeat twice.

You are a joker, it's obvious you know nothing about medicine and surgery.
Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 7:33pm On Oct 24, 2019
sgtponzihater1:
Great story, but Medicine and Surgery and BDS are entirely different courses. Don't confuse uninformed people out there.

My old friend hater, how have you been? I'm sure you have been adequately informed already about the training requirements in dentistry. I only broke down the courses I wrote. The course we write in fifth year is Medicine and Surgery (4th BDS) which has numerous units embedded in it.

Please I don't have time and strength for blind arguments o. Believe whatever you want but please take the lesson.

1 Like

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 7:38pm On Oct 24, 2019
Adolak:
As a dental student, you also take courses of Medicine and surgery.
In fact Dentistry is like dentistry and medicine and surgery combined with just little difference.

Only people that study dentistry will know. And they're very few.

I don't have strength to teach people who don't have Dentistry in their school or those confusing dentists with Dental technologists, therapists etc.

This thread is not for such arguments. It's either they go and read up on the curriculum of dentistry (it's in one of my posts), or they continue to wallow in ignorance or insecurity. I just want to motivate those going through tough times with my story.

6 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 24, 2019
Mikolion87:

Lol.. Just be open minded and know there are numerous realities that exist, except that you haven't experienced all. We all speak base on our realities. Use your tongue to count your teeth

There is nothing to be open minded about!! , if i have spiritual problems I will go to a religious leader. When I go to a doctor i dont want him mentioning the word spiritual, i want him/her to deal in facts and use his brain. This is the kind of doctor that instead on thinking of what the problem is, will be telling his patient it's people from the village, the kind of doctor will be telling someone to go home and pray!!

this is why Africans go to school and remain backward!!!
Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Maid007: 7:46pm On Oct 24, 2019
Fyi0:

Getting withdrawn after repeating twice doesn't make a course tough..... The bulky nature and how brain tasking a course is, makes it tough.....
Now quote me let's talk about the bulkiness of both courses (med and pharm)
Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 7:48pm On Oct 24, 2019
Longluk:

Yes I studied dentistry, but we also write MBBS. The right thing you would have said is, the early phase of Medicine (2nd MBBS or pre-clinical) is just one attempt. But from the clinicals, it's up to four depending on who is the dean, and depending on the school you attend.

By the way, dentistry involves studying medicine as well with the exemption of a few courses (4th MBBS).

Our 4th BDS exam is actually Medicine and Surgery courses... Read the curriculum of dentistry. Don't confuse dentistry with other paradental courses.

I have no reason to lie about anything.. I don't have strength to educate you here about dentistry as this is not what this post is all about (visit my profile and read for yourself if you're interested in knowing).
Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Legendguru: 7:52pm On Oct 24, 2019
Oh
Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by AlphaT1(m): 8:00pm On Oct 24, 2019
midnighter:

But how come people just open up stores and begin to sell drugs when they are clearly not pharmacists

Isnt it supposed to be reserved for you people alone?
This only happens in a failed state like Nigeria. Only licensed pharmacists own premises in saner climes.....Nigeria is not a country, she is a zoo in reality!
Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by ifiokjohn(m): 8:02pm On Oct 24, 2019
Congratulation bro..The GOD that did it for you will do it for us. Amen

1 Like

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by sgtponzihater1(m): 8:12pm On Oct 24, 2019
Mikolion87:

My old friend hater, how have you been? I'm sure you have been adequately informed already about the training requirements in dentistry. I only broke down the courses I wrote. The course we write in fifth year is Medicine and Surgery (4th BDS) which has numerous units embedded in it.

Please I don't have time and strength for blind arguments o. Believe whatever you want but please take the lesson.

Not a hater in anyway. Enjoy ur victory and expect more wins ahead. There are other battles to fight after every triumph. Glory, smile dance and dine, but tomorrow is another day, and other fights to conquer awaits. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 8:14pm On Oct 24, 2019
For those accusing me of misinforming the public, I'm sure many do not understand or know the curriculum of Dentistry or probably confusing dentistry with other paradental courses like dental technology, dental therapy etc studied in schools of dental technology.

Dentistry is the only specialty of Human Medicine that has carved out its own niche, becoming autonomous having its own Faculty.

Students in this Faculty are automatically joined with students of Medicine to be trained in Medicine as well while studying dental courses. They write same exams until fifth year when those in Dentistry undergo training in internal medicine and surgery with numerous units/specialties and at the end write the exam as 4th BDS, before they now start the main Dental surgery exam in 6th year. They graduate as Doctors/Dental Surgeons.

Most people are unaware of this rigorous training because dentists are few and only very few schools offer dentistry. Training may vary slightly depending on institution but they all basically have same premise in Medicine and Surgery.

Literally, Dental students are studying Dentistry and Medicine to graduate with a Bachelor of Dental Surgery

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by midnighter(f): 8:16pm On Oct 24, 2019
AlphaT1:

This only happens in a failed state like Nigeria. Only licensed pharmacists own premises in saner climes.....Nigeria is not a country, she is a zoo in reality!

Lol very crazy. And people keep coming here saying that the drug the pharmacy gave them was ineffective, spoiling the reputations of pharmacists everywhere

Not knowing that the person selling there was just a Farmacist and not a Pharmacist

1 Like

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 8:24pm On Oct 24, 2019
isthatso:

There is nothing to be open minded about!! , if i have spiritual problems I will go to a religious leader. When I go to a doctor i dont want him mentioning the word spiritual, i want him/her to deal in facts and use his brain. This is the kind of doctor that instead on thinking of what the problem is, will be telling his patient it's people from the village, the kind of doctor will be telling someone to go home and pray!!

this is why Africans go to school and remain backward!!!

That is my personal experience and I have reasons to believe what I believe. Don't drink panadol on top another person issue.

However, learn what you can from the story and move on, until you experience something we could also learn from. Thanks
Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 8:25pm On Oct 24, 2019
sgtponzihater1:

Not a hater in anyway. Enjoy ur victory and expect more wins ahead. There are other battles to fight after every triumph. Glory, smile dance and dine, but tomorrow is another day, and other fights to conquer awaits. Cheers

Thank you my friend.

1 Like

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Mikolion87(m): 8:32pm On Oct 24, 2019
midnighter:

You'd better go back and modify it to show what courses you rewrote. Most people dont understand what dentists study, they just think you yarn teeth for 7 years. And people get confused between dentist, dental nurse, dental hygienist, etc

I used to tease my dentist friends before they explained what actually the whole thing is about. head and neck, bones, nerves, blood vessels, blah blah. I was surprised

You will be explaining yourself all evening o. And people in here have some bad attitude. They will not understand and would rather insult you than ask you to clarify. As if doctors and dentists will never cross paths and never study each other's courses...rubbish

Unfortunately couldn't modify.. I could have thrown more light on the the Curriculum of Dentistry. Many are just so uninformed about this Course. But it doesn't matter to me now.

I have tried in enlightening a lot via numerous posts about dentistry on my posts. Those interested can visit my profile.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

DELSU Lecturer Humiliated After He Tried Sleeping With A Female Student / If You Need Financial Help For Your Education...orphans Only / Why You Should Not Laminate Your Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.