Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,798 members, 7,827,945 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:49 PM

My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit (42044 Views)

Share Your Secondary School Experience With Bullies / Cynthia Chizoba Okoye Graduates As Doctor From Tulane University Medical School / My Medical School Diary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Agugbadin: 1:00pm On Oct 24, 2019
God bless you brother and all your future endeavors. Your story is very touching I must confess. Thank you for sharing and God bless you

2 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by AgentGoat: 1:00pm On Oct 24, 2019
Mikolion87:

Thanks a lot.. Remain lifted up.

Is it MBBS or BDS you did?

3 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by KINGJAJA888(m): 1:02pm On Oct 24, 2019
lipsrsealed
Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Rajman45(m): 1:02pm On Oct 24, 2019
We all in Niaraland are very happy 4 u... Congrats

3 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Nobody: 1:02pm On Oct 24, 2019
Imagine going to see a doctor and he/ she is talking about spiritual causes, you be babalawo? Abeg let us know where you work so I make sure I don’t go there.

1 Like

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by SimplePlan34: 1:05pm On Oct 24, 2019
Well some of us gave up long ago and don't care

2 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by TGMISKY(m): 1:10pm On Oct 24, 2019
Nice one, OP.
I'm encouraged

2 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by kman3000(m): 1:15pm On Oct 24, 2019
Congrats on passing out, but I think you are misinforming the public on your degree. 1. What is written on your certificate? 2. Are you a dentist? Because you are giving the impression that you passed exams for both medicine and surgery and at the same time for dentistry. Anyways, congrats once again.

4 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by kman3000(m): 1:18pm On Oct 24, 2019
AgentGoat:

Is it MBBS or BDS you did?
exactly what is on my mind, he is misinforming the public on his degree.

2 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by afrodoc2: 1:20pm On Oct 24, 2019
Sakamanje story. Which Uni did you attend that you were allowed to study both Medicine & Surgery AND Dentistry?

You will soon take over from Liar Mohammed.

1 Like

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by nams77: 1:22pm On Oct 24, 2019
Mikolion87:

I'm glad you're inspired.
Very inspiring!

1 Like

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 24, 2019
Mikolion87:
I want to share some of my bitter experiences in the medical school and how I scaled through just to motivate someone here. You never know who may be going through same experience.

I attended a Federal government College and I was amongst those students known for academic excellence through hard work and consistent dedication. I was above average. Graduated and got admission to study Dental Surgery (Dentistry) and by implication, Medicine and Surgery as well. My first Professional Medical exams (2nd MBBS) was Hitch-free as I blazed my courses, both the medical and the dental courses (2nd BDS). Experienced a little hitch in my 3rd MBBS exam, but pulled through.

The main challenge started in my fifth year, training in Medicine and Surgery under the Faculty of Medicine (4th BDS). I suffered an ailment which distracted me.. Came usually before my exams and made me lose focus. I wrote Medicine and Surgery numerous times without Passing. At a point I was asked to withdraw. My Faculty doubted that I would be able to pull through with the rigorous training in Medicine. After numerous applications, I was called back to continue owing to the health challenge I suffered. A bizarre challenge with nonspecific symptoms. All signs pointed to spiritual causes, my family and some of my lecturers asked me to quit school and go into trading or change course. But I kept telling whoever cared to listen that, it doesn't matter how long it takes, I must finish what I started.

One thing I ensured to do was to buckle up my spiritual life, I prayed harder and also worked harder each time I failed. I wrote the two courses (Medicine and Surgery) for up to six times. At a point I also suspected that my Faculty (Dentistry) was responsible for my numerous failures owing to the revolt I once organized in writing against the Faculty for some irregularities perpetrated by some lecturers and the Faculty Officer.

It came to the point that, I was given one more attempt before they relieve me of my studies. At this point I almost gave up. But I remembered how I started, my academic history from secondary school days and my early phase of medical school. My family and friends (many of who were already working and doing well) at a point also lost hope. I had to look at myself on the mirror and talk to the image I was staring at. Look, it doesn't matter how many times you have failed, the past doesn't have to define the future.

I dusted my books yet again and plunged into rigorous study routines. Sometimes on empty stomach, some other times, on my knees. I read like never before, and prayed too. I remembered all the years I had already spent and it became a Do or Die affair for me. When the results came out, I was the second best in Surgery. That was how I survived and reclaimed my lost glory.

I went into my Final Dental Surgery exam with hope and vigor. To the dismay of my lecturers who had already tagged me "not serious" I BLASTED (according to the word used by one of my lecturers). I became a thoroughly trained DOCTOR and a DENTAL SURGEON.

LESSONS:

Beyond the Medical training, I believe that my training was in all aspects of LIFE generally. I learnt Patience, Commitment, Faith, Humility, Hope, Kindness, Persistence, Hard work, and Caution. I believe that God allowed me go through this training just so to prepare me for a life of Greatness. For a house that would stand the test of time, must take time to build in all accuracy and strength. So is with the passing of gold through fire.

I also learned that life is not just Physical but also Spiritual. We have no control of certain spiritual occurrences and that is where we need a Supernatural interference.

MOTIVATION:

If you find yourself in similar situation or even worse, Never give up. Focus your gaze only on what you're pursuing and pay no attention to the turbulence and other distracting voices around. Keep improving at every stage, and with time the naysayers shall one day praise you for your indomitable spirit. Be strong.

sir, I'm sorry to ask this question but those times that you wrote the exam 5 times , did you spend extra 5 years ?

1 Like

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by googi: 1:42pm On Oct 24, 2019
It takes stamina, rigorous effort and persistence to excel in most endeavors in life. Medical sciences and engineering are difficult because it takes special interest to continue.

As for medicine, I think the British system we adopted in Nigeria is dangerous without a brake in between the years of studies.

If this guy had not persisted, there was nothing to fall back on. Can you imagine all those years in school without your professional degree? Nobody tells their story of failure of shame and embarrassment not to mention disappointed parents.

It must be broken down into two professional degrees so that if anyone fails to make the second part, she can fall back on the first degree.

Thank God, most Countries are cutting down on the 24 hours shifts these professional students are forced to go through in the name of fortifying them for the future.

It is barbaric and exploitative. Indeed, it also contributes to the greed some of them exhibit. Even in Britain and America, you have to bill Medicaid and National Health Services aplenty or work to death to become rich.

Kudo to survivals.

6 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by bonnyhope: 1:48pm On Oct 24, 2019
afrodoc2:

Sakamanje story. Which Uni did you attend that you were allowed to study both Medicine & Surgery AND Dentistry?

You will soon take over from Liar Mohammed.

maybe he crossed over to surgery after 300L in dentistry

1 Like

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by angiography(m): 1:54pm On Oct 24, 2019
"By implication medicine and surgery too"

This is not correct. Dentistry is dentistry. And medicine and surgery is just as it is.

3 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Jiberi: 2:00pm On Oct 24, 2019
I have a feeling that this OP is lying.

1 Like

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by prosnadis(m): 2:13pm On Oct 24, 2019
I am motivated by your experience....i was withdrawn in medicine after 7yrs....i read anatomy after that....in all i spent 11yrs in school,started business that is a huge success now...i hv many on our payroll.....my children are in primary school but guess what am in 200 level (MBBS) now....i want to prove a point
Mikolion87:
I want to share some of my bitter experiences in the medical school and how I scaled through just to motivate someone here. You never know who may be going through same experience.

I attended a Federal government College and I was amongst those students known for academic excellence through hard work and consistent dedication. I was above average. Graduated and got admission to study Dental Surgery (Dentistry) and by implication, Medicine and Surgery as well. My first Professional Medical exams (2nd MBBS) was Hitch-free as I blazed my courses, both the medical and the dental courses (2nd BDS). Experienced a little hitch in my 3rd MBBS exam, but pulled through.

The main challenge started in my fifth year, training in Medicine and Surgery under the Faculty of Medicine (4th BDS). I suffered an ailment which distracted me.. Came usually before my exams and made me lose focus. I wrote Medicine and Surgery numerous times without Passing. At a point I was asked to withdraw. My Faculty doubted that I would be able to pull through with the rigorous training in Medicine. After numerous applications, I was called back to continue owing to the health challenge I suffered. A bizarre challenge with nonspecific symptoms. All signs pointed to spiritual causes, my family and some of my lecturers asked me to quit school and go into trading or change course. But I kept telling whoever cared to listen that, it doesn't matter how long it takes, I must finish what I started.

One thing I ensured to do was to buckle up my spiritual life, I prayed harder and also worked harder each time I failed. I wrote the two courses (Medicine and Surgery) for up to six times. At a point I also suspected that my Faculty (Dentistry) was responsible for my numerous failures owing to the revolt I once organized in writing against the Faculty for some irregularities perpetrated by some lecturers and the Faculty Officer.

It came to the point that, I was given one more attempt before they relieve me of my studies. At this point I almost gave up. But I remembered how I started, my academic history from secondary school days and my early phase of medical school. My family and friends (many of who were already working and doing well) at a point also lost hope. I had to look at myself on the mirror and talk to the image I was staring at. Look, it doesn't matter how many times you have failed, the past doesn't have to define the future.

I dusted my books yet again and plunged into rigorous study routines. Sometimes on empty stomach, some other times, on my knees. I read like never before, and prayed too. I remembered all the years I had already spent and it became a Do or Die affair for me. When the results came out, I was the second best in Surgery. That was how I survived and reclaimed my lost glory.

I went into my Final Dental Surgery exam with hope and vigor. To the dismay of my lecturers who had already tagged me "not serious" I BLASTED (according to the word used by one of my lecturers). I became a thoroughly trained DOCTOR and a DENTAL SURGEON.

LESSONS:

Beyond the Medical training, I believe that my training was in all aspects of LIFE generally. I learnt Patience, Commitment, Faith, Humility, Hope, Kindness, Persistence, Hard work, and Caution. I believe that God allowed me go through this training just so to prepare me for a life of Greatness. For a house that would stand the test of time, must take time to build in all accuracy and strength. So is with the passing of gold through fire.

I also learned that life is not just Physical but also Spiritual. We have no control of certain spiritual occurrences and that is where we need a Supernatural interference.

MOTIVATION:

If you find yourself in similar situation or even worse, Never give up. Focus your gaze only on what you're pursuing and pay no attention to the turbulence and other distracting voices around. Keep improving at every stage, and with time the naysayers shall one day praise you for your indomitable spirit. Be strong.

12 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by googi: 2:20pm On Oct 24, 2019
Whatever the veracity of his story, the pain is real. Some students have been allowed back after a break for various reasons acceptable to the governing authorities.

But please note that you can also study JD MD, MD MPH. Not in Nigeria though.
Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by midnighter(f): 2:32pm On Oct 24, 2019
googi:

It takes stamina, rigorous effort and persistence to excel in most endeavors in life. Medical sciences and engineering are difficult because it takes special interest to continue.

As for medicine, I think the British system we adopted in Nigeria is dangerous without a brake in between the years of studies.

The British system has 2 pathways

1 bachelors degree for 5 or 6 years

or 1 bachelors degree in any science subject (3/4 years) followed by a graduate medical degree (4 years)

In America you can only study medicine once you have Bachelors in science
Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by midnighter(f): 2:34pm On Oct 24, 2019
Jiberi:
I have a feeling that this OP is lying.

Even if he is lying let others come and tell us this kind of lie abeg

too much bad news everywhere

2 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by sgtponzihater1(m): 2:49pm On Oct 24, 2019
Great story, but Medicine and Surgery and BDS are entirely different courses. Don't confuse uninformed people out there.

2 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Oyikoha(m): 2:53pm On Oct 24, 2019
Thanks much
Much motivation

2 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 24, 2019
Mikolion87:

LESSONS:

MOTIVATION:

Medical school is so thoroughly overhyped. The time, energy, unparalleled dedication and relentless hard work and passion it'll take a person to get a pharmacy degree is enough to acquire three medicine and surgery degrees.

You wrote medicine and surgery countless times? Lol
Fail just two times in pharmacy school and you're shown the way out of the faculty immediately.
Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by chinweasaa(f): 3:02pm On Oct 24, 2019
Am in pains right now.........put to bed and lost my first son on Thursday 17/10/2019 after 2 beautiful girls but I really felt good after reading ur story thank u. Please pray for me so that by this time next year, I should be celebrating with my twin boys.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 24, 2019
isthatso:
Imagine going to see a doctor and he/ she is talking about spiritual causes, you be babalawo? Abeg let us know where you work so I make sure I don’t go there.
On Point...
Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by calliope(f): 3:06pm On Oct 24, 2019
There's something oddly freeing about imagining going though the worst thing that could happen to you as a person during afflictions and summoning up courage to walk through those fears. You motivate me OP. Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by jaymorgan(m): 3:19pm On Oct 24, 2019
I've sat for jamb 3x, spent 4 yrs at home am now 21 and I just started pre degree in medicine and surgery... we've all got stories to tell but we still have a long way to go.... though we're late, but at least we still on d way.

3 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by jaymorgan(m): 3:21pm On Oct 24, 2019
Another point I got from OP is: finish last in your league, they'll call you idiot.... finish last in medical school they'll call you doctor.

3 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 24, 2019
Thumbs up to you lad!
All the very best for the future.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by Adolak(m): 3:39pm On Oct 24, 2019
As a dental student, you also take courses of Medicine and surgery.
In fact Dentistry is like dentistry and medicine and surgery combined with just little difference.

Only people that study dentistry will know. And they're very few.

7 Likes

Re: My Medical School Experience- The Fighting Spirit by midnighter(f): 3:40pm On Oct 24, 2019
Fyi0:

Medical school is so thoroughly overhyped. The time, energy, unparalleled dedication and relentless hard work and passion it'll take a person to get a pharmacy degree is enough to acquire three medicine and surgery degrees.

You wrote medicine and surgery countless times? Lol
Fail just two times in pharmacy school and you're shown the way out of the faculty immediately.

But how come people just open up stores and begin to sell drugs when they are clearly not pharmacists

Isnt it supposed to be reserved for you people alone?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

10 Hilarious Differences Between Men And Women / Is Jamb Really Adding 40 Marks For The Candidates? / 2013 JAMB CUT-OFF: List Of Universities And Their Jamb/post-utme Cut Off Marks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.