Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,027 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) (27608 Views)

Poll: Which region has the best dancers?

Africa (west): 57% (26 votes)
Africa (Central): 20% (9 votes)
Africa (south): 2% (1 vote)
Caribbean: 13% (6 votes)
North American (Afro.): 2% (1 vote)
Latin America (Afro.): 4% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

Best Musicians !(friendly Rivalry) / Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? / Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 2:27am On Sep 28, 2011
How can you say jamos got this considering my first post

Americans got this

[flash=480,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HkFK_wTss0?[/flash]

The king of all dance period michael j

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tICestGPPbs?[/flash]
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 2:55am On Sep 28, 2011
^cute. tongue

Americans have rhythm like the rest of us but you guys are NOT the best dancers on an international "black" scale!  tongue

American dances are fun and interesting but they don't really impress me undecided.
i like traditional dancing. the type that challenges the human body. Jamaican dances do that.
when american women dance, they move their whole body. Jamaican women will keep their
tops perfectly still and just move their pelvic area. it's amazing to see caribbean ppl dance.

but different strokes for different folks. America dances ain't it for me.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by lakal(m): 3:23am On Sep 28, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

^cute.  tongue

Americans have rhythm like the rest of us but you guys are NOT the best dancers on an international "black" scale!  tongue

American dances are fun and interesting but they don't really impress me  undecided.
i like traditional dancing. the type that challenges the human body. Jamaican dances do that.
when american women dance, they move their whole body. Jamaican women will keep their
tops perfectly still and just move their pelvic area. it's amazing to see caribbean ppl dance.

but different strokes for different folks. America dances ain't it for me.

American girls fit dance o

See this one from 4:00 until the end. 

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6lMBymVejU[/flash]
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 8:02am On Sep 28, 2011
The greatest black dancer on an international scale is a black american.And the world chooses hip hop as their international dance

Show me a jamo better than this

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1ixdm-Gh1k?[/flash]

Jamos are good. Just not as good or influential as americans
mz darkskin chill, dont make me go in on you and jamaicans
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 11:38pm On Sep 28, 2011
LMAO!

which American dances besides the damn moon walk is influential kony?  grin
being internationally known doesn't make one the best 'dancer'. was mike the best entertainer?
SURE! but dancer. . .um by American standards perhaps.

i actually WANT YOU to go in on us Jamaicans so i can dust you ONCE again and
show you that your belief that Americans are the most influential and supreme blacks
on the planet is a FAIL.  tongue as i said before while you guys were doing the swing dance,
the skate, slide, and doop wop in the 60's and 50's we were 'whining' and 'poppin' since
for ever!  grin

Americans cannot touch Jamaicans when it comes to dances. This is why a lot of your stars'
choreographers are west indian or have been taught by west indians. Tanisha and PONY TAIL
are TWO famous Jamaican choreographers who have trained some of America's finest!
Furthermore some of the 'hottes't dances in America such as: lean back, the matrix, the heel toe, thunder clap, bogle, [size=18pt]HIP ROLLING[/size]  tongue, puzzy poppin, tootsie roll, pepper seed; etc ARE ALL JAMAICAN and much more. I don't know why you want to take me on but we can go there.  smiley

COMPARE THIS ORIGINAL Jamaican (American) dancehall queen to r&b singer Ciara.
See who is the 'carbon copy'  tongue

[flash=600,260]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6zin5M--w4?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash][flash=600,260]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV8bO_4on4k?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

^^ every single one of those dances are jamaican.

@Lakal that's REAL hip rolling. Those girls in that video you posted are ok at best.
they tried too hard. The Jamaican girl was a NATURAL.  smiley

we don't JUST shake our azzes like African women and we don't JUST do 'hip hop'. we do EVERYTHING but we come
original! cool
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by lepasharon(f): 2:49am On Sep 29, 2011
this one nko? congelese got skill!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNgbQv7BJws
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by lakal(m): 3:03am On Sep 29, 2011
All African-descended groups can dance. And MZDarkSkin, maybe on the East Coast African-Americans copy West Indians, but that hip rolling vid comes from a place where there are not many West Indians lol. West Indians sabi claim sha.

In that case, winin and all of your other dance traits have their roots in Africa.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 4:42am On Sep 29, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

LMAO!

which American dances besides the damn moon walk is influential kony?  grin
being internationally known doesn't make one the best 'dancer'. was mike the best entertainer?
SURE! but dancer. . .um by American standards perhaps.

i actually WANT YOU to go in on us Jamaicans so i can dust you ONCE again and

When did you dust me the first time. Everybody knows american blacks are the most influential. I dont need someone on nairaland to confirm that. Its just as sure as the sky is blue lol.

In no way is jamaican dancing anywhere near the level of hip hop,tap and jazz. Hip hop is basically the worlds default form of dance now. From the USA to Korea. All that jamaican stuff you posted are no where near that level.

The only americans that take jamaican dancing seriously are females lol. Outside of that its basically irrelevant. Jamaicans dont have the finess,the professionalism, the imagination,wow factor that americans have

The bulk of jamaican dancing might aswell be called air sex lol. And no the majority of choreographers are not jamaican lol. I didnt know ya were that delusional
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 12:53am On Sep 30, 2011
MODIFIED: Waste of time. tongue

@Lakal: um they may come from africa but the styles are NOT exactly the same which is why i am promoting this thread to show and appreciate the differences and furthermore, those styles did come from Jamaica. I'm not asking you. There's something called tv. You don't have to be among a group of ppl to mimic them.

From the introduction of Shabba Ranks to Sean Paul (music videos), American dance has forever changed.

@Kony: LOL its obvious not even you believe in that bull$hit you just typed. You sure you are from NY? if so you'd know the 'hip hop' culture and dance was created by AAs but was dominated by another west Indian group known as Puerto Ricans. They have mastered and ran laps around AAs when it comes to B-Boying and they are the ones who made it an international phenomenon. FACT.

Now this takes the cake! >>> The only ppl who take Jamaicans seriously are the females? Are you really this reetarded? I think so! Look at how your rappers ACT! A lot of the slang you use such as "big up", "eat your food in broad day light"; etc come from jamaica. Look at the hair styles the women wear!  grin Seriously, the whole 'bling bling' culture came from jamaica. Americans only wear jewelry on special occasions or if they are rich and want to flaunt their wealth. Prior to the 'Hot Boyz' Americans were not wearing mouth fulls of gold teeth much less grills. Jamos have been wearing and flossing since forever. . .And your 'hip hop', you even have white people claiming it 'is not a black thing' to how watered down it is and how I have proven in another thread that the whole culture is not defined. . .If we Jamaicans were in a predominately white nation, like America, from the beginning we too would be all over the screen. But seeing as how we are not even 'American' and yet put our island on the map as a TINY black country with little help from whites, that says a lot! Americans are YANKEES to us bro and you want to talk about irrelevant.  tongue

You say we are not professional or have the 'wow factor'? is that why MTV for the longest time have been trying to get the Jamaican gov't to ok making documentaries on our dances and even wanted to host an international dance competition in JAMAICA?! I REPEAT: INTERNATIONAL DANCE COMPETITION. Did M.I.A do a music video on dance in America or was it Jamaica? If we are 'nonfactors' why are there Kenyan/African Dancehall Sound systems? and what do you know! There are even Asian [Korean, JAPANESE, chinese], Italian, French, British, Canadian, MEXICAN, dancehall sound systems! They all go to JAMAICA to compete with the greatest! Speaking of compete. . . 'The Annual International Dancehall Queen Competition' is adored by Americans and International nations alike! hmmmm i could go on and on and on but you already know this. You need to grow up and do more research.

Better yet. . .all i need to say in a video:

[flash=500,370]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXM4kHNCjz8?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by lakal(m): 1:19am On Sep 30, 2011
Winin does not come from Jamaica.  It comes from Trinidad.  and don't you think that your aarguments about African influence play the same way for Jamaicans.  You're making it sound as if every American dance is a direct copy of a dancehall dance.  I think you probably don't know much about how most black Americans dance real talk, if you are from the East Coast, you just won't get it.  Over there, many African Americans do copy West Indians, but it's not really like that anywhere else.

(And I'm not even African American haha.  I be Naija) tongue
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 1:24am On Sep 30, 2011
lakal:

Winin does not come from Jamaica.  It comes from Trinidad.  and don't you think that your aarguments about African influence play the same way for Jamaicans.  You're making it sound as if every American dance is a direct copy of a dancehall dance.  I think you probably don't know much about how most black Americans dance real talk, if you are from the East Coast, you just won't get it.  Over there, many African Americans do copy West Indians, but it's not really like that anywhere else.

(And I'm not even African American haha.  I be Naija)  tongue

You don't have to be AA to be biased. I frankly don't give a damn about where you are from or located in the states. the video you posted was not all of that. Which is why I said they were 'ok' at best. For your info I am half AA and have been living in the US all of my life. I think I know about AA dancing.  tongue

I never said ALL of the dancing came from Jamaicans (why don't ppl read these days?!) I said the WHINING came from Jamaica (definitely NOT trinidad!  grin) Where else did HIP HOP or the 'black American urban culture' start but the east coast? exactly. So you can take your place on the side lines and leave it to me and Kony. Thanks anyway.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by lakal(m): 1:30am On Sep 30, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

You don't have to be AA to be biased. I frankly don't give a damn about where you are from or located in the states. the video you posted was not all of that. Which is why I said they were 'ok' at best. For your info I am half AA and have been living in the US all of my life. I think I know about AA dancing.  tongue

I never said ALL of the dancing came from Jamaicans (why don't ppl read these days?!) I said the WHINING came from Jamaica (definitely NOT trinidad!  grin) Where else did HIP HOP or the 'black American urban culture' start but the east coast? exactly. So you can take your place on the side lines and leave it to me and Kony. Thanks anyway.

And just because you are AA doesn't mean that you know that history either. tongue

That video wasn't meant to be all that. Those were just some random hoodrats on camera, not competitors at a dancehall competition. BTW, Michael Jackson, who he pointed out, was not hiphop (or from the east coast). Neither was James Brown. Both important to kony's argument.

And wining most definitely come from Trinidad. Jamaicans can dance sha, but who are known for being the top winers? please.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by lakal(m): 1:39am On Sep 30, 2011
Black people are amazing!

Belize
[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ55Qgek1Rk
[/flash]

Nigeria

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA2CXrRMd7I[/flash]

U.S.A.

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG66XlAI6VA[/flash]
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 1:45am On Sep 30, 2011
Lakal wtf are you talking about?  
Michael Jackson. . .James Brown? When were you and I discussing them?
Please! As for Trinis being known for being top whiners ok oo  tongue cheesy If you say so. I think the replies on this thread,
the internet in general and ppl will prove my point. Definitely no need for me to go there!  tongue

too funny!  grin

Speaking of funny (other than kony tongue)!!

I digress. . .

Kathy Lee & Hoda trying to dance  grin

THE HILARITY!
grin

[flash=500,270]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgUGUiQUaj4?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

this dance is mad easy and simple. they got it tho but it's still hilarious  grin
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by lakal(m): 1:50am On Sep 30, 2011
I said "he pointed out" referring to kony. 

lol and about the Trinis, didn't you say:

OMG! They wine just like the Trinidadian girls OMG!!!
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 1:52am On Sep 30, 2011
Good then. I think I can read just fine. I was talking to Kony about that tho.

Lol what a reetard. I said they 'WINE JUST LIKE TRINIS' meaning their pelvic movement is like trinis.
NEVER said Trinis were the best or that they started Wining. They are my ppl too so naturally being west indian
they are among the world's top dancers grin but i never said they were better than Jamaicans anywhere on this thread so using that quote to justify your "point" is VOID.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by lakal(m): 1:57am On Sep 30, 2011
Ad hominem attacks? How classy.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 1:59am On Sep 30, 2011
Hmm. . .thanks! I learned from the best. Sagamite where you @? kiss kiss kiss grin
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 6:37am On Sep 30, 2011
Comparing jamaican dance to american, is like comparing Nollywood to . They simply do not operate on the same scale. Yea nollywood has a presence, yes its influential,  But hollywood though, ? lol you get my drift

Mzdarkskin im completely sure im from new york. But claiming puerto ricans as west indians is completely laughable and reaching beyond belief.Really? lol. Furthermore black america and black american dance branch through out the entire country. Idk how you can pidgeon hole any style of black dance to one city. The best black hip hop dancers are not even in new york anyway, they're all around the country mainly on the west coast. Even the evolution of hip hop(dance) stems outside the five boroughs. So your point makes no sense. And again thanks for the laugh, trying to claim puerto ricans as west indians. That right there shows me how far your willing to go to make up an argument lol

You never mopped dusted or shined me on anything. All your arguments are either misinformed,"mike tyson reaching levels" or delusional. Just by you mentioning the hot boyz for the basis of bling bling shows you dont know what the hell you be talking about. Grills,frontz,chains all that, came out with cats in the eighties. Drug dealing n.ggas from harlem and s.hit. Cats getting money in the bronx, brooklyn etc Had nothing to do with "jamos". Pimps and dealers back in the seventies and sixties were rocking ice. You lost if you think that culture has anything to do with jamaicans.

Also stop beginning and ending everything with new york. Jamaicans and there culture are irrelevant to overall larger black american populace. Get out of new york/brooklyn for once. Blacks in the south,midwest,west coast barely see ya, damn sure not influenced by ya like that. Trust me. Diversity out there is the chineses guy at the chicken spot lol. Did "jamos" influence these people to rock chains aswell?

As far as slang, you cant be serious. This is those "mike tyson,joe frazier reaching levels" i was talking about that you be doing. Black americans influence the world with slang. Theres cats in london and belgium saying american slang. You bring up one word-big up-WOW!. In new york black american slang is king amongst us,latinos,caribbean-americans and anyone else. Not jamaican slang lol. And america is a huge place and im pretty sure most blacks are not influenced by jamaican slang like that.Blacks in L.A or Dallas dont even feel your presence unless they watching "shottas" or some s.hit lol. Lets not allow delusion to get in the way of common sense

As far as hip hop. I might say its not a black thing. Thats what happens when you make s.hit thats universal. It comes with the territory. Thats a pat on the back if anything.

As far as whining. Its not paticurly impressive i dont know why you keep mentioning it. Me as a heterosexual man, i personally love it for obvious reasons. But its a females dance and only "some" black american females are interested in it. *Remember get out of nyc for a chance*

America is not why blacks are known. Blacks are known because they are talented and talent cannot be denied. I've said this before. I dont think i need to remind anyone the conditions this "talent" had to go through in the past."Jamos" can easily use America or better yet the "UK" as an outlet to make a mark

I never meant jamaicans were a non factor in general. I know all about dance hall in japan and the like. But are you really going to compare that to hip hop,jazz,tap etc and their presence in the world. This is not about whether jamaicans are influential or not.I thought this was a competition

And lakal, you have some sense -BTW, Michael Jackson, who he pointed out, was not hiphop (or from the east coast).  Neither was James Brown.  Both important to kony's argument.

- You're making it sound as if every American dance is a direct copy of a dancehall dance.  I think you probably don't know much about how most black Americans dance real talk, if you are from the East Coast, you just won't get it.  Over there, many African Americans do copy West Indians, but it's not really like that anywhere else.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by mukina2: 8:11am On Sep 30, 2011
In Africa i give it to Senegalese.

Both men women, and children can dance wella. grin

Then Congolese and finally angola's kuduro that dance is unique grin

The Ivorians also do mapuka, nasty dance angry grin

Caribbean dance has a viewers discretion on it just like mapuka it can get nasty.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 2:29pm On Sep 30, 2011
[size=18pt]modified:[/size]

Educational and factual post deleted as it was a WASTE OF TIME trying to educate Kony. tongue

k.o.n.y:

Comparing jamaican dance to american, is like comparing Nollywood to . They simply do not operate on the same scale. Yea nollywood has a presence, yes its influential,  But hollywood though, ? lol you get my drift BLAH BLAH. . .

but before. . .

k.o.n.y

Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry)
« #27 on: September 27, 2011, 08:04 PM »
@ beaf

Wow u maybe the only person on the planet that believes that. Jamaicans are masters when it comes to dancing. You cant take that away from them. I would say that americans take it overall, but jamos have been outdoing us in recent years on the civilian level. Thank soulja boy,chicken noodle soup and the like on that

nuff said.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 6:38pm On Sep 30, 2011
Wow your extremely predictable. I knew you were going to exaggerate the whole "puerto ricans attending the labor day parade thing" Typical. Puerto ricans attend the labor day as well as black americans. Overall in no shape or form are puerto ricans considered to be west indian or a part of the west indian culture. They are latin, their culture is latin/hispanic, they speak a derivative of the latin language-spanish. No new yorker would honestly say that puerto ricans are west indians that is beyond laughable. Most puerto ricans themselves dont see themselves as west indians. Seeing  puerto rican breakdancers as west indian influence in hip hop is just slow

Like i said plainly in my last post. As far as dance is concerned, in this case hip hop. Hip hop became the dance that would dominate the way it does because of its western expansion. Mainly in the realm of pop locking,flexing, gliding etc many of these started in LA. Breakdancing is a seperate entity "within" hip hop dance. The point is hip hop dance as we know it today is a culmination of ideas from blacks across the states. This is not "new york" black americans vs jamaicans, hip hop having its foundation in nyc is besides the point in this argument. Hip hop dance in its "completed" form is what dominates pop culture not just its early new york version, which mainly focused on break dancing only

I understand perfectly what you said about the hot boyz. The thing is you think on a very limited scale. How can you account for all the people on the west coast,midwest and the rest of the south? there is no prior to the hot boyz, they were simply putting a trend that was already in place, but putting it on T.V and in rap videos. Nobody got the idea from jamaicans. Wheres your proof? And what does that have to do with dance

The south is the south. I have family in NC and SC. And i have spent considerable time there, went to school down there and everything. In no way shape or form are southerners influenced by jamaicans. You gotta be kidding me. Yeah southerners admire new yorkers style, but they have their own thing going on down there. Its a completely different world out there. Furthermore black america is more than just the south and new york. So where do we go from there lol. New york swag is not even dependent on west indians to begin with so wtf are you talking about. Your arguments work only if one is ready to take an extreme leap in logic.lol

By your logic. Blacks across the country are inspired by black americans from nyc, who you believe are inspired by jamaicans-thus caribbeans have influence over blacks across the united states-really?

Cats in london follow caribbean culture hard Im not going to front. The only reason being most of them are children of immigrants. But lets be serious i've seen plenty of videos to make an educational assumption. And that is -their swag is a carbon copy of americans overall. No different than most other black europeans

And who said i was a metrosexual? I said i like whining because as a man it serves my best interest to see girls shaking that @ss like that. Thats all

And i thought this was a competition on dance? Yes both communities are trendsetters theres no deneying that. But stop trying to make me look like the bad one here. You havent giving americans credit for sh,t yet, lol
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 9:21pm On Sep 30, 2011
*modified.

>>>> http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/caribb/special/westind.htm

I am exhausted. It's like you have a brick in your head for a brain or something  tongue. You have serious amnesia.

The reason for my explaining Jamaican influence on Black America is because you foolishly claimed we are irrelevant and have no influence on American males. That is not only a lie but definitely ignorant. I wasted and will only continue to waste my time if i even bother to explain. Luckily there are a lot of Americans who are not biased and who appreciate contributions to the American culture from Jamaica. I am lucky to be one and to have plenty as my friends.

You all keep talking about 'west coast' as if they don't have their share of east coast contacts. What if i were to tell you there were west indians there? that some of the best US dancehall competitors are Los Angeles natives? yet we don't have any influence. I hear yall though.

I always give Americans the credit they deserve but I won't be biased. I'm half African American and Half JAMO. I love BOTH SIDES BUT Jamos have influenced American culture like wise Americans have influenced us too. What you believe is irrelevant. Fact is fact. We are everywhere! R-Kelly practically breathes Jamaican lol he's from Chi-town which has a large Jamo community. Bone Thugs even spoke a little bit of patois and they are from Cleveland - which has its Jamo community. Midwest! North, EAST. .where ever. People don't have to wave the Jamaican flag, smoke weed or wear dreads to be influenced KONY, there are a lot of things you guys do that is not foreign to America yet you all don't even know it. You're a plain example. SOOO many mainstream references to Jamaica be it by movies, music, cartoons, video games, comedies; etc and yet we are irrelevant. I hear you oo!
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 10:22pm On Sep 30, 2011
@ topic: i love central African dance styles!

im not sure if these girls are congolese or angolan (perhaps a mix of various countries)

their dancing is amazing but as someone said before it's redundant and after a while gets boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NN5WokiShQ&feature=related
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 10:48pm On Sep 30, 2011
[flash=600,260]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPYr27JoLKw?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

caribbean dance by way of japan. smiley
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by PhysicsQED(m): 6:42am On Oct 01, 2011
lol, what happened to friendly rivalry? Things got ugly real quick.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 6:44am On Oct 01, 2011
I understand that puerto rico is physically  located in the west indies. But culturally puerto ricans are not west indian. For you to be from new york and promote that boricuas are west indian is beyond comprehension. Puerto ricans are worlds a part from jamaicans and you know it. Hardly any puerto ricans think of themselves as being west indian. They are latin end of story. Influences from puerto ricans are not influences from west indians. This is not unique to puerto rico, technically mexico is in north america. Should americans start including mexican accomplishments as well?

And yes jamaican dance has an extremely miniscule influence on american males. I dont know why your trying to make it more than what it is. Only black females take dancehall seriously on any noticeable level. Almost every single dance you posted were done by Females. Im not trying to be biased im simply telling you what it is. The most influence jamaican culture has on black american men are dreadlocks, you'll find a bunch of them in the south. And that has nothing to do with dance

Im sure there are jamaicans on the west coast. But outside of nyc, miami and maybe some other east coast cities. Jamaicans simply dont have that much of an impact on the overall black american spectrum. You should see this first hand living in north carolina. In  NC you most likely live your life, your swagger as a black american. You probably only play "jamo" when you get on the internet lol. I already know what time it is

I never said jamaicans weren't trendsetters. You set this thread up to be a competition, so thats how im taking it. Texas,atlanta,Va,especially SC, etc are overwhelmingly black southern american. Your delusional

You were the one that derailed the thread so, so be it

hip hop by way of russia

[flash=400,360]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFpkd39xZ7I?[/flash]

Hip Hop by way of egypt(alexandria mall)

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNtBnB3b9eo?[/flash]
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 4:20pm On Oct 01, 2011
Please kony! grin  grin Don't even go there! I mean, to how hard I rep Jamaica in reality ppl have a hard time believing my pops (r.i.p) was an African American  tongue. You got dusted! Deny and fight all you want. You say I am delusional yet you are the one who regardless of facts (links, videos cosigns) claimed Jamaica has NO influence on Rap, then you say Puerto ricans are not west indian and I had to show you a damn map before you could admit a small part of the truth. Like I give a damn what some say as opposed those I know and history. It's common sense. When we have a caribbean summit PR IS IN THE BUILDING! cheesy PRs don't really like being labeled however they rep the caribbean more and harder than they do latin America which includes the very groups they dislike being confused with which are south and central Americans. Then YOU claimed WE Jamaicans were irrelevant and I had to show otherwise and you chose to deny and ignore - cool. And lastly but most HILARIOUS of all is in your SMALL world everything is 100 percent American and with that nincompoop notion you then you come on a Nigerian website on various threads trying to make Africans feel like they "missed out" because they are not AA. I wouldn't be surprised if you were Mandingo! Someone as closed minded as yourself shouldn't dare question my loyalty or try to school me in anything cause you don't even know the basics of your own damn culture. Someone like you who claims Martin Luther King played more of a role in black nationalism than Marcus Garvey!  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I am going back to the past disagreements cause that is the reason you chose to say B to my A even on this thread! lol. Please my brother grow up.

Like I said to each his or her own. I prefer Jamaican and CENTRAL African dancing you prefer American.
I say American culture is as easily INFLUENCED as it INFLUENCE you say other wise lol it's okay Konisha!  tongue
Move on.

Anyway I'm done,
Stick to the topic. We're going nowhere and milking the fun from the thread.

@PhysicsQED

Sorry bro. I just hate it when ppl fight facts. It scratches my nerve.
unfortunately thats a common trait among my american ppl but hey. Some folks just won't get it.  smiley

so who in your opinion have the 'best' or great dancers based on the poll choices?  smiley
FEMALES bro.  grin
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by PhysicsQED(m): 5:05pm On Oct 01, 2011
If we're talking about female dancers, I definitely have to give it to the Caribbean as far as moves.

As for dances mostly done by males, I would have to give credit in that area to African Americans, not for Michael Jackson, but for breakdancing.

Michael Jackson got a lot of his style from Bob Fosse and James Brown so I don't consider him all that relevant to this discussion, since he was much less original than a lot of other dancers.

However, breakdancers do some really amazing, mind blowing stuff sometimes, and anyone can see this from checking out any really good breakdancing competition.

Blacks in Brazil of Angolan origin also developed styles of dancing that are similar to breakdancing, but the really creative and technically impressive breakdancing moves we see are unique to hip hop inspired breakdancing and African Americans should get credit for that creativity.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 5:15pm On Oct 01, 2011
Absolutely. Both AAs and JAs are trendsetters. smiley

ANYWAY: In Angola, they have a type of dance called Kuduro uses dancehall moves and combine them with Breakdancing which is PHENOMENAL! They also bring the native African element to it which is just mind blowing and the same applies to Brazil!

All black people can dance (not literally  grin) at the end of the day but i just prefer some over other styles.

Kuduro. they guy in the yellow with the one leg KILLED IT!!!!!!

[flash=500,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP1AZRoo2zQ?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by PhysicsQED(m): 5:52pm On Oct 01, 2011
Wow. That one legged guy was amazing! The little kids were pretty good too.

And that girl's dancing was raunchy. grin grin
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Wislet(f): 8:56pm On Oct 01, 2011
Some people are busy writing long notes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Oba Abiodun Oniru Is Dead! Toolz Father Dies / Describe Your Country In One Word? / Ooni Ogunwusi Hosts African Ambassadors In His Palace - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.