Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,149 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) (27616 Views)

Poll: Which region has the best dancers?

Africa (west): 57% (26 votes)
Africa (Central): 20% (9 votes)
Africa (south): 2% (1 vote)
Caribbean: 13% (6 votes)
North American (Afro.): 2% (1 vote)
Latin America (Afro.): 4% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

Best Musicians !(friendly Rivalry) / Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? / Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 10:21pm On Oct 01, 2011
^ yep. tongue

@topic:

check out this Liberian doing an ivorian dance.
SHE GOT IT! cheesy cheesy

[flash=500,270]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okGiaQJye-A?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 10:49pm On Oct 01, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

DERAILED WHICH THREAD? by saying Americans girls got the hip rolling from caribbean woman? is that NOT on topic? you were the one who got offended hence your directing your posts to me directly and even just now "questioning how jamo i am"!

Please boy! grin  grin Don't even go there! I mean, to how hard I rep Jamaica in reality ppl have a hard time believing my pops (r.i.p) was an African American  tongue. You got dusted! Deny and fight all you want. You say I am delusional yet you are the one who regardless of facts (links, videos cosigns) claimed Jamaica has NO influence on Rap, then you say Puerto ricans are not west indian and I had to show you a damn map before you could admit a small part of the truth. Like I give a damn what some say as opposed those I know and history. It's common sense. When we have a caribbean summit PR IS IN THE BUILDING! cheesy PRs don't really like being labeled however they rep the caribbean more and harder than they do latin America which includes the very groups they dislike being confused with which are south and central Americans. Then YOU claimed WE Jamaicans were irrelevant and I had to show otherwise and you chose to deny and ignore - cool. And lastly but most HILARIOUS of all is in your SMALL world everything is 100 percent American and with that nincompoop notion you then you come on a Nigerian website on various threads trying to make Africans feel like they "missed out" because they are not AA. I wouldn't be surprised if you were Mandingo! Someone as closed minded as yourself shouldn't dare question my loyalty or try to school me in anything cause you don't even know the basics of your own damn culture. Someone like you who claims Martin Luther King played more of a role in black nationalism than Marcus Garvey!  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin I am going back to the past disagreements cause that is the reason you chose to say B to my A even on this thread! lol. Please my brother grow up.

Like I said to each his or her own. I prefer Jamaican and CENTRAL African dancing you prefer American.
I say American culture is as easily INFLUENCED as it INFLUENCE you say other wise lol it's okay Konisha!  tongue
Move on.

I can tell you exactly where you derailed the thread. You mentioned puerto ricans, puerto ricans are not west indians they are latin and a part of the hispanic culture not west indian. You mentioned slang and ornaments, none of which has to do with dance at all. Nobody is saying that jamos arent influential. Thats not what im saying. But in comparison to black americans, jamos are not as influential period. I thought this was a competition  not a discussion if jamaicans were influential or not

Jamaica has no more influence on rap than fellow americans. I was just saying that, toasting is nothing new to black american music which is true. Thus jamaicans influence on the music is extremely small. If anything hip hop was most influenced by Funk music, which is american not Jamaican

Mzdarkskin i think you got me all wrong.Black americans respect caribbeans for there influence and culture more than anyone else, even more than the british blacks. I remember when black americans had a jamiacan "invasion" during the late eighties early nineties.Similar to white music and the british "invasion"(beatles,rolling stones). I never met a Caribbean that i didnt like. .

Realistically your not as influential as black americans though. Im just keeping it real

So you didnt dust anybody. Black americans are still the most influential whether it be dance or anything else
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 11:58pm On Oct 01, 2011
^clap for yourself.  cheesy contradiction in the same post. terrific.  grin

Kony kill that noise! AAs are not a superior black ethnicity. Get that out of your system.
I am TELLING you that Jamaicans are also influential as we also influence the world over and AAs be it on a grand scale or  barely as you claim  tongue the point is Jamaica is on the map we PUT ourselves there as well as the open minded Americans who smartly collaborated with us and other foreigners.

You said it sooo many times on this thread that Jamos are influential then you will go on to say that we are not. I mean wtf?! Nobody is going to get a reward or a cookie for being MOST influential. I and a lot of West Indians would rather search youtube for the latest caribbean tune than listen to American radio, that's REAL talk and I am sure I speak for the millions of other immigrants. We listen to r&b, may have on the fashion and speak the slang but we don't worship or want to be like you all. This is the Land Of Opportunity which is why we are here and as they say "when in rome. . ." the exposure for being in America is what gives you all the ledge but you're not the morning, sun, moon and stars to the rest of the world Kony. It's really sad. That is where you are confused. Nobody "wants" to be Jamaican but they love the vibe, culture and music. That is VERY pleasing. I'm not on the crusade. YOU are. So don't mix me up in that.  I don't care if YOU respect Caribbeans or not the issue began WAY before Puerto Ricans being west indian statement (which they are and your are fighting historical facts because of a few who are misguided which is sad. It's like saying AAs arent African descendants because some say they don't want to be called African America -  slow logic). You dwelled on it and I posted the map. You said Jamos have nothing to do with rap and that toasting is nothing new to you all despite TOASTING being native to Jamaica  grin and myself and rap "historians"/majors say otherwise. No biggie.

read this and write about it in a diary but not on here!  grin
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20091001/ent/ent1.html LOL.

(west coast/south)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCS03dlI4ZI

ok seriously no more cheap shots lol but for real. . .

Get over it.
[size=18pt]stick to the topic.[/size]
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 12:00am On Oct 02, 2011
@ physics qed

MJ has his own distinct style. Seperate from anyone else. Thats how he became so popular
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 1:19am On Oct 02, 2011
Ms darkskin. I digress . Me arguing with a female is futile. You and caribbeans as well as other blacks look to black american influence first and foremost way more than vice versa.

Lets get back to dance

Show me a jamaican more dynamic than this

[flash=400,360]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2WTiJ_7h0k?[/flash]
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by PhysicsQED(m): 7:25am On Oct 02, 2011
@ k.o.n.y., an enormous chunk of MJ's so called "distinct style" was clearly just a slightly exaggerated version of one of Bob Fosse's routines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8mJsgPj1iU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8mJsgPj1iU

http://unitedstage.com/2010/09/27/michael-jackson-steals-from-bob-fosse/

This video here is the real "smoking gun" though, and the truth simply cannot be dismissed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvZGl1NqBRc

And one can see from the comments that MJ was definitely familiar with Fosse's work.

When you put together the fact that 1) MJ definitely didn't invent the moonwalk, but got it from some black muscial group from the 70s, and 2) got almost the entirety of the rest of his style from Bob Fosse, it's ridiculous to try and portray him as some sort of huge innovative dancer. A popularizer? Yes. But was the majority of his style invented by him? No. Is his signature dress style even his? No. It's Bob Fosse's look in the "Snake in the Grass" routine.

"I youtubed Bob Fosse and had to quit/cause I found out, MJ bit that man whole shi[i]t[/i]!" - Ras Kass, "Since U Been Gone"

^^^

It's just obvious, and even other black people (and Ras Kass is very pro-black, an MJ fan, and even made a song in MJ's honor) can admit it. Let's just be honest here and move on. Anyway, breakdancing moves from Brazilians, Angolans, and African Americans are way cooler than any moves that MJ used.

I like Michael Jackson's music, but to be completely honest, a lot of that MJ, Usher, Justin Timberlake, Ne-Yo style choreography that singers can't seem to do without always looked effeminate to me, so it's not surprising that it was sourced from a musical theater guy (Fosse). I hope that stuff eventually dies out. . .
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 4:40pm On Oct 02, 2011
Physics you do your research. I likes that!  smiley that is why i "LOL'D" when someone first mentioned MJ.
I read an article about this guy, Michael "Boogaloo Shrimp" Chambers, in a magazine (either Jet or vibe  undecided) and from that day on i just didn't view his as original. I also hear he was also choreographed by a Jeffrey Daniel, who many claim REALLY taught him the moonwalk. Who cares? I love and will forever love MJ who did put my ppl (AAs) on the map but the bottom line is he wasn't original.

Kony name ONE american dance you see in this video.

[flash=600,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGVmLJ8CbZY?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

every dance we do in Jamaica was inspired by our African ancestors. We added our own element to it
but West African John Kunu, Angolan Kuduru, Central African Soukous/mokossa have more of a relationship to Jamo dancing than American sweetheart. Nothing "Moonwalk-like" in our dances. Nothing "Western" but the fashion [and even then buying clothes in Europe is more 'boast-able' then in NY, ATL, MIA, LA]. That's it.  grin

this is just the simple aspect of our dancing. we do everything! back flips, handstands; etc. but what black nation doesn't? take a look at this video from Burundi.

it's JUST a video about drumming for foks sake grin and i can see the relationship between our dancing and this drumming as opposed to mainstream hip hop and JA tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbS5DFxWmEo
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 5:21pm On Oct 02, 2011
Jamaican Jonkunu dance.  smiley

[flash=500,270]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiz0k1kD0gM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

Jonkunu or hip hop = inspiration to dancehall?

jonkunu son!  grin

Dancehall by way of African Americans!  grin grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy

[flash=500,270]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdUqo2PJd48?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

they tried. kinda nice. smiley

Dancehall AND hip hop combined on America's Best Dance Crew (the Rihanna challenge) smiley

[flash=500,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaLbQqBhGLM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 10:11pm On Oct 02, 2011
Sure mj was inspired by bobs mannerisms. Mj was inspired by many different dancers and dance styles. He took alot of elements and combined them as well as adding his own unique twist to it. That doesnt get in the way of michael jackson being a dynamic well respected dancer. Nobody had the range that michael did. Pidgeonholing him to bob fosse, just shows a lack of understanding why mike was the greatest. How can you do that when mj does tap,jazz,pop locking,hip hop,salsa,funk(james brown). His performances are second to none and on top of that his voice is incredible

The "back slide" existed in the 40s and 50s. Mj created the "Moonwalk". Theres a big difference between the two

This was before he got signed. And shows that mj is a raw talent. The best to ever do it

And its crazy, fosse and most of mjs inspirations were "professional" dancers. Mj technically is not. But could dance circles over grown men as a little boy lol The last thing you want to do is belittle a person like michael as a DANCER, of all things. laughable

mj as a lil boy
[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux3joe0GdTA?[/flash]
from that to this
[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB0o0WCnt-I?[/flash]

There was simply no one more DYNAMIC period
To mzdarksin. Inever said jamaicans copied american dances or dancers. Im simply saying there style is not as influential as black americans. Which is true
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 10:54pm On Oct 02, 2011
@mzdarkskin

For the last time. No one is saying jamaicans are not influential. Get that through your head. This is a competition(correct?) So im looking at it in that way. And im simply saying that jamaicans are not on the same level as black americans. We didnt get leverage because we live in america. If anything black people wouldnt get leverage whether they're from texas or kingston back than. We are on the level we are because black americans are insanely talented when it comes to music and dance. Modern music is basically our music. As far hip hop, hip hop is dominated by black americans,its culture is black american, rap was developed mainly by black americans. Stop fighting for little scraps, "toasting" is nothing new to american music. Jamaicans just gave it a special name. I know jamaicans would love to say they had a hand in our culture lol But let me ask you something? Isnt reggae heavily influenced by the blues and r&b music? lol americans had much more influence on that than jamos have on hip hop. Do you hear me or any other americans fighting for recognition for reggae? No you dont. SeeThis the sh,t im talking about

As far as that article. I stopped reading after it claimed that afrika bambaataa was of barbadian descent lol. He is an african american and my mother knew him personally. what a joke

Hip hop is not the end all be all to black music anyway. Its just the latest genre under our belt. We can give away hip hop(just like we did with rock to whites) and still have globally relevant genres of music

And stop "dhalsim from street fighter[i] reaching[/i]" lmao Puerto ricans are culturally latin not west indian
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by lepasharon(f): 11:07pm On Oct 02, 2011
wat naija women need to know is that bum shaking is not dancing!! shocked i saw a woman standin straight nd her bum was just shaking!

NO! THAT IS NOT DANCING!
DISGUSTING!
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 1:19am On Oct 03, 2011
Adding on to my last post

Mj just has a command over rhythm. More than anyone else. Can bob fosse do this lol MJ was a beast when it comes to dancing

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF03reiMs0Y?[/flash]
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 2:22am On Oct 03, 2011
lepasharon:

wat naija women need to know is that bum shaking is not dancing!! shocked i saw a woman standin straight nd her bum was just shaking!

NO! THAT IS NOT DANCING!
DISGUSTING!

WHO TOLD YOU THAT LIE?  grin
Standing still and shaking one's azz alone is a MASTER PIECE!  cheesy
it's the foundation of ALL black dancing - azz clapping  grin  grin  grin  grin

@kony i never said A.Bambataa was barbadian. the article wasn't necessarily about him. the point of the article was Jamaica's influence on rap which is as real as my big nyash.  grin

secondly we're not going over the puerto rican thing again.

third 'American Culture' is the mixing of foreign influence. Jamaican influence on American culture is not only evident but is actually part of the 'make up' of black american culture to begin with - be it the Harlem Renaissance with Claude McKay, to pan Africanism with Marcus Garvey, to rap and Jamaican toasting. The only person who is denying the contributions of us Jamos is you. It's mighty funny other Americans are appreciative of this. You are the first I am to talk to who is so defiant and hyprocritical. As for Blues and Reggae, R & B is not reggae's foundation grin. R&B was played throughout my island back in the day because American music dominated the airwaves world wide as only European countries had major radio stations outside of America at that time. Our rising stars would re-sing American hits in clubs adding our native elements to it which inspired us to bring our music to the forefront. That is all hun. It goes back to convenience of location why you guys were exposed and even then by the time MOST of your music reached our island it was resung by whites  tongue. Anne Murray and the Beach Boyz songs are more known on a grand scale in Jamaica than some of Motown's finest  grin Bottom line reggae is SLOWED DOWN SKA AND MENTO.

Now a days the reason why R&B is respected and given the props in Jamaican culture is because unlike some folks  tongue we Jamaicans appreciate foreign black music and have incorporated other black art forms into our culture to show respect as we are that versatile.  smiley African Americans can't claim reggae because it has nothing to do with their culture directly. AAs didn't migrate to Jamaica and make any cultural adjustments - WE came to the states and brought our flavor with us. This is why your celebrities be it soul, r & b, or hip hop sample our hits and music.  smiley

To name a few:

Beyonce's - Who Run the World? the beat comes from an old tune called "Pon Di Floor".
Jazmine Sullivan's - I need you bad samples Cornell Campbells' 1968 hit "Queen of the Minstrels".

Americans collaborate with us because our cultures although different are represented by two genres of music that are intertwined historically. As I told you before you Americans are not our 'sun, moon and stars' so that line about us and how we would "love to claim American culture" is bologny.  In fact you all actually try to claim OUR citizens who came here and made *ish happen. In the link below it describes how angry AAs would be back in the day when a west indian refused to identify as African American. HMMMM. I guess that explains why there are sooo many socalled African American people of importance that nobody will know is west indian unless they dug further into their bios.

>> check out the link below for some West Indian influence on America info. cheesy
http://books.google.com/books?id=ulhQR1Xp-u8C&pg=PA53&lpg=PA53&dq=civil+rights+activities+of+west+indian+descent&source=bl&ots=oBMCSCa4uL&sig=fsQYyOyIzQfx7CxyGnufzoYbwB0&hl=en&ei=DhWJTo3UFdCUtwfI1LClBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&sqi=2&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

And that's only PART OF IT. Prior to my telling you he was a Jamo, you thought Marcus Garvey was AA and upon realizing he wasn't American immediately began trashing the icon's name. That says a lot about who you are and your mentality.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 3:10am On Oct 03, 2011
Micheal Jackson Born 1958.

Moon walk 1955.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGHyXwgUFdY

Hmmm and I suppose 3 year old Michael taught this icon the moonwalk abi? tongue

or maybe he came to Earth as some devine entity prior to his conception and taught
the Cab Calloway how to do 'the Buzz' in the 1930's. grin

Mj creating the Moonwalk is what's laughable. Not only was HE choreographed but
the guys who taught him TOOK the dance from legends before him. Double robbery. tongue
Nobody is implying the King is stiff. It is obvious he had rhythm but the moon walk was not HIS.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 3:22am On Oct 03, 2011
REGGAE IS A JAIMACAN VERSION OF THE BLUES

"All roads lead to Rome" All "Modern music leads to black americans"

Black american culture comes from blacks experience in america. There is no foreign influence. The harlem renaissance was a movement done predominately by black americans. Civil rights was predominately done by black americans. If there were any blacks of jamaican descent that had a hand in any of that, they were culturally black american not caribbean. Like i said what jamos call toasting is nothing new to american music. Rap was developed by black americans end of story. Puerto ricans are latin not west indain, silly lol. A map of the west indies is irrelevant, what makes you west indian is heavily dependent on culture. And puerto ricans are culturally latin

As far as r&b being played in your "country"(i thought you were american) Of course it was. Black people in america made modern music. Was stevie wonder songs resung by whites,was whitney houston songs resung by whites,was michael jacksons songs resung by whites,was princes songs resung by whites,was barry whites songs resung by whites. I can go on and on for days. Jamaica got its influence from black america not the fcking beach boys lol lets be serious. Even if it was resung by whites, it was still music created by black americans dummy

According to your logic blacks can claim reggae as reggae is heavily influenced by our music. Its not of our culture but it was influenced by our culture point blank. Your biggest star bob marley was doing a jamrock version of the blues period

Black americans dont have to claim jamaicans. We have more people that are of american descent that are influential already. I can count the number of jamaicans that were influential in america on my hand lol. Dont play yourself

Jamaican culture piggy backs off the success of black america if anything. If it wasnt for black america doing big things in music dance etc, jamaica wouldnt be sh.t real talk. We opened up the flood gates for black music

As far as the moonwalk. What you showed was the backslide. Mj created the moonwalk. Theres a differance between the two i already said the back slide came out in the 50's. Its still a black american concept either way. But better yet, show me a jamo more talented than that at the age of 7 or shut up. Jamos dont have anyone that is naturally talented like micheal period
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 3:33am On Oct 03, 2011
LOL kony you are a fail.

everything you write is based on emotion and this false sense of superiority. Everything i put down is not only facts
but all contain links. Reggae is the Jamaican version of blues IF we are talking about expression and fighting oppression then yes in that sense I can dig it but to say it's the foundation? No sir.

Educate yourself because at the end of the day you look like an azz. and yes I said YOUR country.
My mother is Jamaican and I can claim Jamaica why does my not wanting to be called AA solely have to do with you? Just like the link suggested Americans have this "claim" thing about them which explains your attitude. It's not MY fault some folks are closed minded.  smiley

Name the TEN Jamaicans that are influential to American culture and watch me DOUBLE THE LIST. Please DO continue to PLAY yourself.  cheesy

oh wait. . .YOU JUST DID!

[size=38pt]Jamaican culture piggy backs off the success of black america if anything[/size]. If it wasnt for black america doing big things in music dance etc, jamaica wouldnt be sh.t real talk

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!  grin grin grin grin
CLASSIC. Everyone reading this will be "mschewing" until their teeth fall out!  grin
THIS IS HILARIOUS! first you say Africans now it's Jamaicans! Kony you are not well!  grin
ABSOLUTELY hilarious!  grin

The first Jamaicans to leave the island went to Europe prior to making a mass migration to the states
and we had England in the choke hold as far as black influence and the same thing was done here in the states.
You are VERY delusional. i will NEVER forget the above quote! Keep getting mad and talking out of your azz.  grin

Jamaica has PLENTY of raw talent. Just because I am not gonna waste my time posting videos of such folks don't mean they don't exist. The world over knows what we have to offer because we not only showed it but we put OURSELVES with little to nothing on the map as rebels, as entertainers as US. . .JAMAICANS.

Go suk your mumma! talking about 'or shut up'. WHO IS YOU?! stink like.
Ignorant and hypocritical. Stuck in your small world and mad because other blacks have and do achieve. You're a damn idi0t. You this FO0L on an African forum with your 'one man cruisade' to try to persuade ppl from the motherland that African Americans are superior. Now you are mad because I am TELLING you that Jamaicans are not only an influential group of people but have also contributed to American culture and you get vex? What type of NEW FO0L are you?  tongue

from PAGE ONE of your posts you say shiet like this:

k.o.n.y:

U think of our music(randb,rap,rock etc)
U look up to our icons
U follow our trends

Africans are surrounded by black american culture just the same as the rest of the world. . . .

Dont punk out now. Africans feel like they out do black americans. So africans, put your money where your mouth is

Simply, black americans hold it down for people of african descent worldwide. Without us where would black people be. Riddle me this, riddle me that. Real talk

Africans dont have a mlk,michael jackson,michael jordan,oprah.tiger woods etc Ya have no clout whatsoever to talk bad about black americans. What a joke

And theres more black americans going to college than africans in africa or america. Feel me

And you think THIS JAMO will fall for it? HELL NAH! you're a bitter and sorry fo0l.
yes Africans and Jamaicans BOTH take advantage of what some AAs have paved the way for but Jamaicans have done MORE THAN HALF of our share IN America. Sorry you were not educated well enough but it's common sense. You come from NY where Jamaican culture is stronger than ever in the states then have the nerve to use this American supremacy bullshiet and deny my ppl their props. Fo0l. Africans don't need no damn MLK they had Patrice Lumumba, Ndeh Ntumuzah, Ruben Um Nyobé, Félix-Roland Moumié, Kwame Nkrumah, Patrice Lumumba, Abdel Nasser, Frantz Fanon, and other REAL pan Africanists such as Nelson Mandela and even Garvey who referred to himself as an African to represent. There is a whole country worth of noble Africans who fought for OUR people all over. You have your head too stuck up the azz to do any research outside of the states. Ignorant sef.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 3:57am On Oct 03, 2011
All roads lead to rome

All (modern)jamo music leads to black america

Let me begin

First with ska music. Which you claim is the foundation of reggae

wikipedia-
[i]"After World War II, Jamaicans purchased radios in increasing numbers and were able to hear[b] rhythm and blues [/b][/b][b][b]music from Southern United States cities such as New Orleans by artists such as Fats Domino[12] and Louis Jordan.[13]"[/b]
[/i]

"As jump blues and more traditional R&B began to ebb in popularity in the early 1960s,[i] Jamaican artists began recording their own version of the genres[/i]"

" Ska combined elements of Caribbean mento and calypso with American jazz and rhythm and blues."

Now with reggae

Reggae
Stylistic origins[b] R&B • Jazz [/b]• Mento • Calypso • Ska • Rocksteady

(they got it wrong with jazz i'll admit. The blues is more of an accurate influence)

Although strongly influenced by traditional African, American jazz and old-time rhythm and blues, reggae owes its direct origins to the progressive development of ska and rocksteady in 1960s

I want you to name 10 jamo people that were influential to black america in the first place if anything lol

You'll be wasting your time trying to find a jamaican with the talent of michael lol. A black american man

Jamaican music is successful because black american music was successful before it.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 4:06am On Oct 03, 2011
"After World War II, Jamaicans purchased radios in increasing numbers and were able to hear rhythm and blues. . .As jump blues and more traditional R&B began to ebb in popularity in the early 1960s, Jamaican artists began recording their own version of the genres"

ska is PRIOR to 1960s but anyway

hmmmm. . .

MZ.D said: R&B was played throughout my island back in the day because American music dominated the airwaves world wide as only European countries had major radio stations outside of America at that time. Our rising stars would re-sing American hits in clubs adding our native elements to it which inspired us to bring our music to the forefront

Kony's point: VOID!

[size=18pt]Although[/size] strongly influenced by traditional African, American jazz and old-time rhythm and blues, reggae owes its direct origins to the progressive development of ska and rocksteady in 1960s

NUFF SAID @red.

Hearing music that comes from the ONLY radio stations is naturally an INFLUENCE (as in motivation to sing and 'bust') but it's not a foundation. Ska and mento's foundation is Jamaican Bush music also known as Maroon music. The actual recording and fashion was what inspired us from the states. The music and style was always there. So your whole posting this is VOID.

I'm not naming anything. you said you can only name 10 jamos (from your fingers) that inspired the US and I said do it and I will double - triple the list. Rap came from Jamaica. Reggae came from Jamaica with some foreign influence as motivation to bring it out. American music is not the foundation.  Someone who uses Michael Jackson as their country's sole model for talent cannot tell me anything about Jamaica or history. Your biggest example is a fraud and so is your whole reasoning or purpose for being on NL.

Jamaican music is a success because JAMAICANS were already known.
African American didn't sign us. The damn sure didn't create reggae, mento or ska. Whites flew down and sought interest in our talent. Bottom line.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 4:30am On Oct 03, 2011
[size=28pt]@ topic:[/size]

I LOVE this video. smiley Ivory coast. smiley

[flash=500,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZLQFJb_dvY?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

THE FAT GUY KILLED IT!! grin
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 4:33am On Oct 03, 2011
1.Ska was inspired by black american music whether it cam from the sixties or else

2. Idk how my point is void. The qoute clearly says you were inspired by american music on the radio. Which was predominately black american.lol

3. The point is reggae is STRONGLY INFLUENCED  BY AFRICAN AMERICAN MUSIC. And ska(which u promote as a direct influence was influenced by black music as well). Reggae is the jamaican version of the blues period.

I never said i can name ten jamos. Really only one comes to mind and thats garvey he was the only one that was culturally jamaican/caribbean. I challenged you to name ten jamos in the first place which you cant

I told you that "toasting" was always there in american music, so your point is void too i guess

Jamaican reggae is only successful because black americans were successful. Period. If it wasnt for our sucesses with jazz,blues,randb,funk etc reggae wouldnt be sh, t

Michael jackson is the greatest overall dancer of all time. Thats why hes so popular dummy./ Show me a jamo better than him? I'll be waiting

Theres no bob fosse or fred in this. This is all michael. And it changed dance forever. Does a jamo have anything on this level? I'll be waiting

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXhy7ZsiR50?[/flash]
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 4:45am On Oct 03, 2011
I can count the number of jamaicans that were influential in america on my hand lol. Dont play yourself

I never said i can name ten jamos. Really only one comes to mind and thats garvey he was the only one that was culturally jamaican/caribbean. I challenged you to name ten jamos in the first place which you cant

SMH. if you say so. I just hope your delusions somehow help with your self esteem  tongue.

Kony like I said Jamaicans are as much of an influence on America as you claim to be to us.  Simply turn on the tv or radio and it'll be there. Too many references to Jamaica. Redoing American hits is light compared to our sweat dedicated to civil rights movements and even music. With your flip flop self "Jamaicans influenced us. . .NO they didnt" LOL  grin. I've posted sooo many links and videos and not ONE thing from any of your posts in anyway countered them. On another thread you embarrassed yourself so bad because other members had to correct you. Perhaps I should have followed their lead and ignored your temper tantrum. I wont even waste my time on a dunce like you. I am simply not willing to try any more. You will be sad and bitter regardless if Afrika Bambataa himself says Jamos influenced rap and American culture. Who am I right?  tongue

Big up Jamaica and that's bottom line. No brainwashed and ignorant American can change history.

stick to the thread's topic or kindly exit.

kheri hilson doing the 'Bogle' for a few seconds smiley

[flash=500,270]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QYeqFkXm3w?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

Bogle aka Mr.Wacky R.I.P cry cry cry cry cry undecided

[flash=500,270]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmQz6NPFn2s?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

If Bogle was still around I know he'd be proud of these boys.
Big ups to Gnarles Barkley for this one. smiley

[flash=500,270]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENE1eWtW7e8?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 5:07am On Oct 03, 2011
I know i've said this before but, FOR THE LAST TIME I NEVER SAID JAMAICANS WERE NOT INFLUENTIAL.

This has nothing to do with my personal self esteem. But i see this as an attack on my peoples culture. Black americans have worked to hard for jamaicans to sit here and try and take credit away from us, we get that enough from whites. I will not stand for it. Jamaicans contribution to civil rights is extremely small. Civil rights was fought by black america not jamaicans. Ya was just along for the ride if anything. Stop trying to change history. The percentage of non black americans in america was extremely small during that time.

I didnt counter your videos because none of your videos discounted what i said. None of your videos show that jamos are more influential than americans. None. They just show that jamos have an influence. Which i never denied

Other members corrected me in what exactly?

I was trying to keep it in the realm of dance. U were the one that went off topic lol

I hold my american flag firm. We are the best dancers in the world

U mentioned keri hilson. Name a jamaican/caribbean thats even on her level. lol. All you have is rihanna whose success is dependent/based on black americans just like most caribbean americans(marcus garvey etc) lol
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 5:19am On Oct 03, 2011
stick to the thread's topic or kindly exit.

I'm sorry was I speaking in Spanish? or did I studder? 
Hold your American flag firm on an American website since you are superior to all
blacks with your 'proud to be a second class citizen' azz.  tongue AAs were the only blacks that suffered right? lol. Probably lasted as long cause you all are so eager to be WITH whitey while the rest of us rebelled and do something with ourselves. As for singers is this a thread about singing or dancing?  Plenty of talent in JA singing wise but seeing as how I CREATED this thread all I want to see and discuss is dancing.

[flash=500,280]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfPGAJoWKjY?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]
LMAO!!!  grin
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 5:34am On Oct 03, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

tongue[b] As for singers is this a thread about singing or dancing? 
Plenty of talent in JA singing wise but seeing as how I CREATED this thread all I want to see and discuss
is dancing.[/b]

You were the one that got off topic in the first place.

And i was just watching the news and the mj court case came up. LOL at the fact that a caribbean(conrad murray-mjs doctor) is the one responsible for killing the biggest black music  legend of all time. SMH lol

Back to dancing.

This performance was crazy

[flash=400,360]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKtoSlWIyFI?[/flash]
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 6:04am On Oct 03, 2011
Blaming a west indian DOCTOR for Michael's addiction to drugs which led to his death and trying to make a point is beyond pathetic.  tongue but then again look at the thing such a statement is coming from.  tongue

[flash=500,280]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjsQqAVZP4E?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

Not impressed. Line up of hot mess after hot mess!  grin
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 6:07am On Oct 03, 2011
"AAs were the only blacks that suffered right? lol. Probably lasted as long cause you all are so eager to be WITH whitey while the rest of us rebelled and do something with ourselves"

I cant believe i over looked this and let this slide. Fall back jamo. Black americans are by far the most influential and relevant of blacks worldwide. Our culture developed in the most racist most powerful society in the world. Caribbeans and africans have there own freaking countries,thats somethig black americans can only dream of. And ya still be on white peoples di,,cks.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 6:25am On Oct 03, 2011
yankee  tongue I don't GIVE a damn about your hurt feelings. 'Most influential and relevant' yet muthafuhckaz are coming here and running laps around our people in EVERYTHING and AAs are still disregarded. I see why you need to feel important. What better way than use the internet to pretend. Clap for yourself for making an azz out of yourself. ONLY have the strength for your fellow blacks but won't say a damn thing to a common red neck. Fck off with that "I cannot believe i let that slide - I'se about ta beat my chest like king kong" shiet.  grin grin

oh and btw http://www.djhistory.com/interviews/afrika-bambaataa
turns out the father[b]S[/b] of hip hop ARE ALL Jamaican and Barbadian after all.  cheesy

Now, kindly make your way elsewhere and leave me to post the dance videos. Capish?  tongue

@topic:

Ethiopian  (or Somali lol) girls getting wild!!  cheesy cheesy grin

[flash=500,250]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtQMa1DibPw?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by lakal(m): 12:35pm On Oct 03, 2011
Interesting viewpoints for both sides:

After World War II, Jamaicans purchased radios in increasing numbers and were able to hear rhythm and blues music from Southern United States cities such as New Orleans by artists such as Fats Domino and Louis Jordan. Ska combined elements of Caribbean mento and calypso with American jazz and rhythm and blues. It is characterized by a walking bass line accented with rhythms on the upbeat. In the early 1960s, ska was the dominant music genre of Jamaica and was popular with British mods

And what was their style?

It was mainly disco at first, a lot of disco beats, and breaks, and they was rockin’ with the disco style of rappin’, you know, like you would hear on a radio station DJ.

So they were rhyming?

It wasn’t really rhyming it was more, “Come on one time, get down baby doll,” Something like Jocko, or Gary Byrd, who was doing his style of rhyming and rapping, with his GB experience on WWIL and WLIB, and you had stuff from the ’60s, Murray the K when he used to do his radio station and Cousin Brucie on WABC. Rap was always here, but it was in a different form Where you got to the heavy rhymin’ and the funk under the hip hop culture, was after Kool Herc, myself, Flash and all the other pioneers started comin’ out… Furious Five, Soulsonic Force…
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 03, 2011
^^Amen brother.we influenced EACH OTHER which is my point from day one. you basically have Bambataa saying rap music was NOT as it is today until he and two other west indians got in the mix. Prior to Jamos getting in the mix it was all 'doo woop' like I said on another thread. Then it says from wikipedia the same thing I said above that Jamos used to dress like Europeans and Americans and re do American songs while maintaining our own music. I told Kony we go hand in hand from civil rights to music but cho! some ppl are hard to educate or get to.

btw Lakal im not just saying this because you just posted that I am being sincere and apologizing for the name calling. we dont agree on most things but i had no right to call you out of your name. Same to you Kony.
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 3:30pm On Oct 03, 2011
Afika bambaataa clearly says his parents were from new york. His american the same way colin powell and Farrakhan is american. Its not like jamaicans have a different genealogy than black americans. The only thing that seperates us is culture. And flash and Bam were american. I give you herc though because he actually came straight from the islands. Either way it was done in america mainly by americans. The foundation of the music is rooted in funk,james brown and disco. The culture was created by the south bronx urban youth mostly consisting of americans and latinos. Back than and still till this day.

But let me not derail since me you and lakal have made our "peace"

These quotes come as a shock

Do you remember hearing Herc play breakbeats for the first time?
Herc is not really the first time I heard breakbeats, but it was the first time that someone really pushed it.

Was Herc the first or was there someone else?
No Herc was the first to push it in the culture, but breakbeats had been around since disco, since James Brown, all the little breaks between records.

Anyway back to dance

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlVEmG4j2fI?[/flash]
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 03, 2011
Afika bambaataa clearly says his parents were from new york. His american the same way colin powell and Farrakhan is american. Its not like jamaicans have a different genealogy than black americans. The only thing that seperates us is culture. And flash and Bam were american. I give you herc though because he actually came straight from the islands. Either way it was done in america mainly by americans. The foundation of the music is rooted in funk,james brown and disco. The culture was created by the south bronx urban youth mostly consisting of americans and latinos. Back than and still till this day

grin  grin LOL!

His american the same way colin powell and Farrakhan is american

bwaHA!  grin Classic! Jamos contributed little to nothing right? but when those who do happen to be born on American soil or come here young make a big difference in the culture, some folks who claim they were irrelevant now want to claim them! HEEEHEE!!  grin a CHINESE American born to Chinese parents in America is STILL Chinese. Same for African, Mexican and JAMO; etc.  tongue

anyway who would have thought that Tyga a west coast rap artist is of Jamaican and Vietnamese descent  shocked
Learning something new. Hip hop and rap is becoming more Jamo-fied than ever (since the beginning). Time to look up some more historical facts!  cheesy cheesy Oh shiet! Because he was born here I guess his Jamo roots are void according to some folks  grin grin Never mind oo.   tongue

Big up 1-876  grin

@topic:

Chris Brown KILLED IT! Usher. . . lipsrsealed

[flash=500,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBm2s20A07s?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]
Re: Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) by kony1(m): 4:24pm On Oct 03, 2011
Before going any further. Tyga sucks lol. And no hip hop is not becoming more "jamofied" as you put it. It was always a black american dominated art form and culture, and it will always be one. Especially now that the south and midwest is holding it down

If i was born to two african american parents but grep up in jamaica. I would consider myself to be jamaican. Its a nationality not a race. I technically have caribbeans in my family my uncle is "caribbean" and my three "1st" cousins are technically half carribean. They're all american and culturally african american. It would be reaching to consider my cousins as caribbeans lol. Bambaataa never said he didnt have any african american roots anyway. Hes about as caribbean as a busta rhymes

As far as chris brown. Hes good becomes off sloppy and doofy sometimes. His lines are no where near the level of someone like mj

i guess she was ok as well
[flash=400,360]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-gu1KETjVY?[/flash]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Hosts African Ambassadors In His Palace - Photos / Olori Of Ife, Wuraola Pictured With Her Sisters-in-inlaw / "I Am The Leader Of Yoruba Monarchs" - Olugbo, Obateru Akinruntan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.