Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,910 members, 7,821,163 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

"God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. (2524 Views)

lbiyeomie: Anyone Who Asks You To Bring Coconut For Deliverance Is A Magician / Chris Okotie: The Truth About T.B Joshua. He Was A Magician & A Sorcerer (Video) / Pope: The Theories Of Evolution And Big Bang Are Real, God Not A Magician (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by budaatum: 4:05pm On Oct 27, 2019
buda has no humour where muttley is concerned.
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by Martinez39(m): 4:21pm On Oct 27, 2019
budaatum:

Last nights pizza. I only try.
At this moment, I wouldn't mind if your beans were my beans if only you would give me some of that.
.. Just kidding grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by MuttleyLaff: 4:35pm On Oct 27, 2019
budaatum:
buda has no humour where muttley is concerned.
[img]https://s3/images/drinkRolleyes.gif[/img]
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by budaatum: 5:57pm On Oct 27, 2019
Martinez39:
At this moment, I wouldn't mind if your beans were my beans if only you would give me some of that.
.. Just kidding grin
If you can not understand small things, 39, I can hardly expect you to understand things that require more effort I suppose, but since you ask me to give you some of my pizza I am here offering you my beans too even though your response is "buda you have no bucket, and the well is deep. Where do you get that pizza from?"

Martinez39:
No no no. The book of James was written to believers. Read the first five verses of James. Mocking someone in a letter doesn't mean that you aren't writing to them. How you can think like this shows your beans wasn't well cooked.

Five verses is probably way too much for you 39. Just the first verse should do.

James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,

To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations:

Greetings.

You must wonder how we Nigerians are reading what was addressed to the twelve tribes, but perhaps consider that James was writing to those who read and understand James. He was after all not writing for those who are not "keyed in" to understand.

On prayer. You must have heard it said that it means calling on the Lord who is in heaven, yet [url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+6%3A5-6&version=NIV]Christ said[/url], "when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

He then went on to teach how to pray, which [url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord%27s_Prayer?wprov=sfla1]you may read here[/url] and takes all of two minutes if you prayed it very very slowly, which should make you wonder what we do in secret and for which the Father will reward you, 39?

Well, we study the Word. And the reward for our studying in secret is understanding, and the wisdom that comes from that understanding, which is my beans and my pizza and which I gladly share with you 39. Can you not see how jealous that makes muttley? I can assure you that he believes!
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by budaatum: 6:12pm On Oct 27, 2019
Martinez39:

It's ironic that an ex-christian atheist knows the bible much better than a believer.
What is ironic is that you think knowing the Bible better is about emulating satan and believing, 39. Or did you completely miss what James said about devils and believing? It's in the bit I posted.

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

You may read here about unbelieving buda. I see no merit in trembling like devils!

1 Like

Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by MuttleyLaff: 6:19pm On Oct 27, 2019
budaatum:
If you can not understand small things, 39, I can hardly expect you to understand things that require more effort I suppose, but since you ask me to give you some of my pizza I am here offering you my beans too even though your response is "buda you have no bucket, and the well is deep. Where do you get that pizza from?"

Five verses is probably way too much for you 39. Just the first verse should do.

Greetings.

You must wonder how we Nigerians are reading what was addressed to the twelve tribes, but perhaps consider that James was writing to those who read and understand James. He was after all not writing for those who are not "keyed in" to understand.

On prayer. You must have heard it said that it means calling on the Lord who is in heaven, yet [url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+6%3A5-6&version=NIV]Christ said[/url], "when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

He then went on to teach how to pray, which [url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord%27s_Prayer?wprov=sfla1]you may read here[/url] and takes all of two minutes if you prayed it very very slowly, which should make you wonder what we do in secret and for which the Father will reward you, 39?

Well, we study the Word. And the reward for our studying in secret is understanding, and the wisdom that comes from that understanding, which is my beans and my pizza and which I gladly share with you 39.

Can you not see how jealous that makes muttley? I can assure you that he believes!
Why do you think I should be jealous of your lack of humour.
To be jealous, is not a virtue, dont you honestly realise that ni, hmm?
I'll tell you what MuttleyLaff believes. MuttleyLaff believes you need getting laid, that will loosen you up a bit
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by budaatum: 6:54pm On Oct 27, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
[s]Why do you think I should be jealous of your lack of hu.... [/s]

Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by MuttleyLaff: 7:00pm On Oct 27, 2019
budaatum:
[s]Why do you think I should be jealous of your lack of hu.... [/s]
[img]https://s3/images/yadayadaKor.jpg[/img]
[img]https://s3/images/MuttleyDontFokWivMe.gif[/img]
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by budaatum: 7:33pm On Oct 27, 2019
Told you, 39, believing mut is jealous of you!
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by MuttleyLaff: 7:52pm On Oct 27, 2019
budaatum:

MuttleyLaff:
Why do you think I should be jealous of your lack of humour.
To be jealous, is not a virtue, dont you honestly realise that ni, hmm?
I'll tell you what MuttleyLaff believes. MuttleyLaff believes you need getting laid, that will loosen you up a bit
Since you dont believe you need getting laid, then why not for size, try that middle finger angry angry angry
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by Martinez39(m): 8:10pm On Oct 27, 2019
budaatum:
Things escalated quickly between you and muttleylaff.
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by budaatum: 8:20pm On Oct 27, 2019
Martinez39:
I try so much to avoid his juvenility but he has this need to go about first explaining to people what I've already said and then letting his stupidity kick in. See how you and I can sit on complete opposite sides of a fence and be civil, while he agrees and is an ass! Just goes to show James was right, devils believe and tremble.

Accept my apology for derailing your thread, 39. I'll try harder to ignore him whenever he refuses to use his brain.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by MuttleyLaff: 8:27pm On Oct 27, 2019
Martinez39:

budaatum:
I try so much to avoid his juvenility but he has this need to go about first explaining to people what I've already said and then letting his stupidity kick in. See how you and I can sit on complete opposite sides of a fence and be civil, while we agrees and is an ass! Just goes to show James was right, devils believe and tremble.

Accept my apology for derailing your thread, 39. I'll try harder to ignore him whenever he refuses to use his brain.

MuttleyLaff:
budaatum you are a grown arse man/woman, so please act that way and stop all this your typical puerile and jejune behavior, seeing me as doing "blah, yada, blah, yada, blah, yada," saying I have mouth diarrhoea and that I am not using my brain.

No, you want free and fast food, but I dont operate that way, because anyone that gives you free fast food, stops you from thinking. Curiosity has its own reason for existing, dont be afraid to ask me questions. Dont be afraid, when I in return, ask you hard or seemingly difficult questions. Don't be suspicious or afraid of the answers you might get, but be afraid of not asking the questions and/or answering the questions. Why all about this? It is because its the only way you'll know which direction your truth lays ...
Martinez39, as you can read from the above quote, budaatum has a history of this her typical puerile and jejune behavior like one she exhibited earlier this late afternoon
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by budaatum: 8:36pm On Oct 27, 2019
Imagine how what he posted there would have sounded, 39, if you did not know me.
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by MuttleyLaff: 8:38pm On Oct 27, 2019
budaatum:
Imagine how what he posted there would have sounded, 39, if you did not know me.
Imagine how convincing you would have sounded, if Martinez39, did not at all know MuttleyLaff. Smh.
Should I give you a roll call list of those who know you, know you for what you really are, know you well enough to tell you to your face, to up yours, hmm?
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by Martinez39(m): 8:47pm On Oct 27, 2019
@Muttleylaff and budaatum,

Quarrels and misunderstandings are bound to happen but nothing stops you guys from settling things amicably.
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by MuttleyLaff: 8:50pm On Oct 27, 2019
Martinez39:
Quarrels and misunderstandings are bound to happen but nothing stops you guys from settling things amicably.
Quarrels and misunderstandings are bound to happen are sure banker but settling things amicably with MuttleyLaff isnt in budaatum vocabulary, you heard it first from the horse's mouth nah.
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by budaatum: 8:53pm On Oct 27, 2019
Martinez39:

The irony is that it takes you to say this, 39.

Unfortunately, its not a thing that will happen anytime soon as I'd have to wait for him to grow out of his toddlerism which is bound to take a while. Note my first comment to him on this thread then see as things went south.
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by MuttleyLaff: 9:16pm On Oct 27, 2019
budaatum:
The irony is that it takes you to say this, 39.

Unfortunately, its not a thing that will happen anytime soon as I'd have to wait for him to grow out of his toddlerism which is bound to take a while. Note my first comment to him on this thread then see as things went south.
The irony Martinez39, as you obviously could see, is humourless budaatum losing her rag over a harmless fun and innocent tease and she further wrongly granting herself unearned and undeserved victim status with this situation, and now unjustly trying to portray MuttleyLaff as her persecutor. How pathetic it looks, watching the villain play the victim so well.

A matured person would have just laughed off the leg pull, instead of taking it to heart, going ballistic and behaving like the archetypal grumpy one foot in the grave, Victor Meldrew.

1 Like

Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by budaatum: 11:07pm On Oct 27, 2019
I'm sure you'd get it someday muttley, that I do not do humour with you. I don't do pull legs with you. I'm not your victim neither and nor do I do any sort of fun with you nor laugh with you until you learn to use your brain.

MuttleyLaff:
[s]The irony Martinez39 has you obviously could see, is humourless budaatum losing her rag over a harmless fun and innocent tease and she further wrongly granting herself unearned and undeserved victim status with this situation, and now unjustly trying to portray MuttleyLaff as her persecutor. How pathetic it looks, watching the villain play the victim so well.

A matured person would have just laughed off the leg pull, instead of taking it to heart, going ballistic and behaving like the archetypal grumpy one foot in the grave, Victor Meldrew.[/s]
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by Nobody: 12:23am On Oct 28, 2019
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by MuttleyLaff: 2:49am On Oct 28, 2019
budaatum:
I'm sure you'd get it someday muttley, that I do not do humour with you. I don't do pull legs with you. I'm not your victim neither and nor do I do any sort of fun with you nor laugh you off until you learn to use your brain
[img]https://s1/images/MuttleysGato.gif[/img]
If you can find humour funny, it means you're intelligent and you've learnt to use your brain. Rewire your brain, if you not do humour with MuttleyLaff, train your brain how to detect good natured, cheerful and friendly humour. Train your brain and tell it MuttleyLaff, from birth, learned to use the MuttleyLaff brain. You need to process MuttleyLaff with a normal brain. Now please tell the negative committee that meets up in that teeny-weeny grain brain head of yours to all sit down and shut the foxtrot, uniform, charlie, kilo up because I actually am using my brain, I easily do and especially when socializing with you.
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by budaatum: 4:43am On Oct 28, 2019
Help For You Problem Is Here

MuttleyLaff:
[s][img]https://s1.gif yu.com/images/MuttleysGato.gif[/img]
If you can find humour[/s]
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by Nobody: 5:33am On Oct 28, 2019
Martinez39:
Everyone must have heard the saying "god is not a magician." This is common among christians. It's a saying simply concocted as a cop-out to absolve themselves from the responsibility of believing in the miraculous as they should. Each time certain believers, by prayer and faith, demand miracles and wonders or expect certain supernatural workings from the divine, the response "god is not a magician" is sure to surface."

What is a miracle? What is magic? If I ask any christian to provide me with a list of events or occurrences that they would consider magic and I compare them to miracles in the bible such as Jesus turning water to wine, Jesus raising the dead, Elisha making a sunk axe head float by throwing a piece of wood in water(2 King 6:1-7), Moses splitting the red sea, Jesus multiplying fish and bread, etc. you can't tell the difference. Some may say "It's miracle if it's from god, it's magic if it's from the devil." Well, those that are expecting whatever supernatural and miraculous from the divine would, if their requests were granted, still end up getting a miracle since it's god they've asked. Beside, the bible makes it clear —in Matt 7:7, Mark 11:24, John 14:13, Ephesians 3:20— that with faith, you can pray to god for what you want and you will receive and god can do beyond what our mind can conceive.

Wouldn't it be better to a say "I know the bible contains many supernatural events and It also supports soliciting help and miraculous intervention from god through faith and prayer but I don't just believe that" instead of "god is able, benevolent, and all power and he is not a magician"? As I have shown, there are scriptural injunctions that permit a believer to solicit help and miraculous intervention from god through faith and prayer so why disapprove of or malign those keying into this as if they are foolish and unlettered on scriptural matters?

I don't support believers forgoing practical solutions to real life problems for divine help. However, if we endorse religion and the bible, we must admit that it's not out place for anyone following the bible to do such. How many christian cancer patients or malaria victims can try what is instructed in James 5:14-15? Would it surprise you if they did? You may advise christians against such but what can you do when they tell you that the bible supports their actions and they will obey the Bible?

The practice of forgoing medical care for faith healing has been disasterous for many. Even in business, career, and marriage, forgoing the best practical position for a strategy embedded in religious delusion can be disasterous as well and set you backwards. The way forward is to speak against these misleading and dangerous scriptural injunctions and reform the holy books accordingly.

As moderate Christians keep insisting that the bible is rational and doesn't support any egregious practice, christians that have the fortitude and honesty to take the bible for what it is will keep harming themselves and those around them. As moderate Muslims keep insisting that the quran is a book of peace, those that have the fortitude and honesty to take the quran as it is will not be deterred from islamic extremism. In both religions, the extremists, ironically, are the true believers. grin

HopefulLandlord, hahn, XxSabrinaxX, johnydon22, budaatum, LordReed, Michellekabod2, Sharon6,
Miracles are Natural happenings with a more concentrated desire or power igniting them.
Oceanic Engineers have confirmed; Strong concentrated winds could divide an ocean into two!

1 Like

Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by MuttleyLaff: 7:27am On Oct 28, 2019
budaatum:
Help For You Problem Is Here
I bin tell you before say I get problem ni, hmm? So you're a shrink now all of a sudden huh? Your mumu is on kofam exceptional levels.

Smh. Kini eleyi kẹ? Kini gbogbo radarada yi bayi kẹ? Ndi 'ara. Koma dafun problem. Koni dafun problem mtcheeww angry angry angry
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by kkins25(m): 12:41pm On Oct 28, 2019
XxSabrinaxX:
[img]https://media./images/62ad04ab70f9178d9ee96fe50524c1e4/tenor.gif[/img]
no mind the two agbayas showing them selves up and down.

angry angry angry....

1 Like

Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by MuttleyLaff: 2:53pm On Oct 28, 2019
kkins25:
no mind the two agbayas showing them selves up and down.
angry angry angry....
[img]https://media./images/e3544b8117d3ecbb0cb8751f1ce0ff71/tenor.gif[/img]
angry angry angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by LordReed(m): 4:40pm On Oct 28, 2019
Thehumanlloydl:
Miracles are Natural happenings with a more concentrated desire or power igniting them.
Oceanic Engineers have confirmed; Strong concentrated winds could divide an ocean into two!

Where was this confirmation stated?
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by MuttleyLaff: 5:29pm On Oct 28, 2019
Thehumanlloydl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZqIZqDh1ns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itox6Zn_1G0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWSBPRFd1UU

Yeah I know, and thats particularly why I liked your comment.
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by Martinez39(m): 5:55pm On Oct 28, 2019
Thehumanlloydl:
How then can you explain the following:
1) Water turning into wine after just being prayed upon,
2) The multiplication of a small amount of bread and fish of feed a thousand people,
3) A sunk iron axe head floating after throwing a piece of wood in the river,
4) Leprosy been healed after the afflicted submerged himself seven times in a river,
5) Walking on water,

Explain these naturally. I have more lists when you are done with these. undecided
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by Martinez39(m): 6:05pm On Oct 28, 2019
budaatum:

Greetings.

Well, we study the Word. And the reward for our studying in secret is understanding, and the wisdom that comes from that understanding, which is my beans and my pizza and which I gladly share with you 39. Can you not see how jealous that makes muttley? I can assure you that he believes!
James 1:1-3 :
1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.
2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
3 Knowing this, that the trying of YOUR FAITH worketh patience.

Hmmm, faith? what set of people could possibly have faith? grin
Re: "God Is Not A Magician" : A Dubious Cop-out. by MuttleyLaff: 6:09pm On Oct 28, 2019
Martinez39:
How then can you explain the following:
1) Water turning into wine after just being prayed upon,
2) The multiplication of a small amount of bread and fish of feed a thousand people,
3) A sunk iron axe head floating after throwing a piece of wood in the river,
4) Leprosy been healed after the afflicted submerged himself seven times in a river,
5) Walking on water.

Explain these naturally. I have more lists when you are done with these. undecided
[img]https://s3/images/WipeStandClap.gif[/img]
This naah JAMB exam questions ooo, lol.
Not. angry angry angry
#1-#3 and #5 all related, are easily explained,
then #4, too, which wasnt really about the conventional leprosy, can easily be explained too

You're dangerous poster Martinez39, waiting round the bend corner with mouse traps hidden under your armpit, smh

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Speaking In Tongues / What Is The Conviction Of Sin? / Prayer Point: God Please Touch The Heart Of Satan And Forgive It For It's Sins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.