Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,410 members, 7,812,215 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:10 AM

I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? (26286 Views)

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / 31-Year-Old Landlady: 'I Built This House With My Money, Not With My Body' / My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Kenkeye: 9:13am On Oct 28, 2019
I also stay in a rented house and I see what fellow tenants do to the house owner. They can be so rude, only God knows why. The house owner gives some beneficial instructions and they feel too big to follow. They would not pay as at when due. These people also mess up toilets and bathrooms. And on days when general house sanitation is to be done, just once in a month, these people will refuse to come out for cleaning. I wouldn't want anyone to talk trash about the op's landlady here. The op might have done some horrible things that he has refused to mention here.
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by foreverkind1(m): 9:14am On Oct 28, 2019
ranmoor:
My former landlord claimed to love me very much yet increased rent by 50% within 2 yrs. I didn't even argue, I just find a better apartment and moved out. Thank God I did, now Im building my own property small small
Grace bro

1 Like

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by SEGLIZ: 9:14am On Oct 28, 2019
ranmoor:
My former landlord claimed to love me very much yet increased rent by 50% within 2 yrs. I didn't even argue, I just find a better apartment and moved out. Thank God I did, now Im building my own property small small

that is it the push factor.
no matter the part, ahead is a glorious destination.
some many takes comfort in suffering enriching other, while their comfort zone is lying fallow in waiting.
no how dem won do ham you don turn land.
my brother congratulations, this is mission accomplished already.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Worthydefender: 9:14am On Oct 28, 2019
Scandinavian02:
Are you owing rent?

My rent has not even expired....It would expire by the end of October 2019....she served me the notice 27 of October
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by SEGLIZ: 9:16am On Oct 28, 2019
daddytime:

How??
God na bricklayer?

no architect and surveyor.
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Worthydefender: 9:18am On Oct 28, 2019
Kenkeye:
I also stay in a rented house and I see what fellow tenants do to the house owner. They can be so rude, only God knows why. The house owner gives some beneficial instructions and they feel too big to follow. They would not pay as at when due. These people also mess up toilets and bathrooms. And on days when general house sanitation is to be done, just once in a month, these people will refuse to come out for cleaning. I wouldn't want anyone to talk trash about the op's landlady here. The op might have done some horrible things that he has refused to mention here.

I am ready to give you the address in Ikotun here if you are ready to investigate. I have packed in before people started telling me I made great mistake.

1 Like

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Worthydefender: 9:36am On Oct 28, 2019
ekevwe:

If you still like the compound you can still meet and dialogue with your landlady. Don't allow pride take over you. May God help you in this trial time. Amen

How I wish you know her, I wish I knew before packing in. The house is nice, room and parlor self con.....It was when I packed in that I realized that the Landlady's 3 grown up daughter with grand children stayed with her and the Landlady's son with his kids also. Thats not too bad.... The 2nd week i packed in, i was told to pay 4500 naira to pack the sockaway and I asked if the Sock away was full, immediately her daughter intervened telling me I would pay it if i like or not....that if I packout any time is another person that will pay. To mention but few...I paid. Another week, we paid 5k each to buy another pumping machine, they repaired the old one.
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by SEGLIZ: 9:46am On Oct 28, 2019
Hoephase:
It is quite interesting to see that everyone that gave their opinion so far suggested you leave. Most even attributed it to God either directing the op or that God will handle it.

I think we have become a nation of sheep, our leaders have succeeded in breaking our spirits to the extent we can't even ask for clarification on why our rights are being trampled upon. Or demand to know why we were been kicked out of place where we live legally and has been paying for.

Just imagine we couldn't even dare ask a landlord or landlady to explain the reason for their actions. And with this state of mind how are we ever going to stand up to our oppressors?

For those who care to reason asking why you are being thrown out is not something that must be done out of spite or out of anger. You can still do it in a calm and mature way and get answers.

When you start asking questions as regards your rights you start getting answers as you start getting answers you become well informed. Information is one of the essential tools of breaking out from oppression.

For instance, I have seen on this forum how some people asked questions and was able to get the "almighty" NPHC people to sit up and do their job.

I thought as much, I was of the opinion their should be a mechanism in place to handle this demons in human flesh called landlords.
mare house owner forming landlady what if she run an estate or chains of it. I believe since that house notorious for such the local authorities should be involved.
local government should tag such building non-abitable hence no one would go close let alone moving in as a tenant. we have a system in place to check all this menace in our society.
as soon a landlord becomes notorious then inhabiting his all by himself and maybe his family if there is any should be the next thing. I believe this kind of law and power from government would check them (landlords and landladies).

1 Like

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Nobody: 9:46am On Oct 28, 2019
Hoephase:
It is quite interesting to see that everyone that gave their opinion so far suggested you leave. Most even attributed it to God either directing the op or that God will handle it.

I think we have become a nation of sheep, our leaders have succeeded in breaking our spirits to the extent we can't even ask for clarification on why our rights are being trampled upon. Or demand to know why we were been kicked out of place where we live legally and has been paying for.

Just imagine we couldn't even dare ask a landlord or landlady to explain the reason for their actions. And with this state of mind how are we ever going to stand up to our oppressors?

For those who care to reason asking why you are being thrown out is not something that must be done out of spite or out of anger. You can still do it in a calm and mature way and get answers.

When you start asking questions as regards your rights you start getting answers as you start getting answers you become well informed. Information is one of the essential tools of breaking out from oppression.

For instance, I have seen on this forum how some people asked questions and was able to get the "almighty" NPHC people to sit up and do their job.

Very Nicely put.
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Africankel(m): 9:52am On Oct 28, 2019
I'm shocked to see how people are asking you to leave. Put simply, they are asking you to forego your rights as a tenant.

Don't go anywhere. The mere fact that her Notice of Quit did not expressly state the reason for her action makes it null and void. It would have made sense if she said "I'm asking you to leave because I don't like your face", rather than asking you to quit without reason, especially when you have not defaulted in any part of your tenancy agreement. Let her go to court.

The mere fact that she gave you six month's notice doesn't mean you leave in six months. Quit notice is just a first step of four levels that MUST be fulfilled before a tenant can be lawfully evicted.

While you may want to consider getting another apartment, in the course of a legal banter, DO NOT forfeit your rights. Fight!

2 Likes

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 28, 2019
SEGLIZ:

I thought as much, I was of the opinion their should be a mechanism in place to handle this demons in human flesh called landlords.
mare house owner forming landlady what if she run an estate or chains of it. I believe since that house notorious for such the local authorities should be involved.
local government should tag such building non-abitable hence no one would go close let alone moving in as a tenant. we have a system in place to check all this menace in our society.
as soon a landlord becomes notorious then inhabiting his all by himself and maybe his family if there is any should be the next thing. I believe this kind of law and power from government would check them (landlords and landladies).
You are just a landlord/landlady Hater. grin

If you eventually becomes a landlord, would you call yourself a demon in human flesh?

Tenants have lived in my properties for Atleast 6 to 12 months, Trashed it, moved out without paying Any rents. did i kill them? No! i just repaired What they trashed and rented the properties to other tenants. Try been a landlord for one week in Nigeria, You will change your opinion Of landlords, I am sure of it.

Good luck! grin

2 Likes

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Nobody: 10:00am On Oct 28, 2019
Africankel:
I'm shocked to see how people are asking you to leave. Put simply, they are asking you to forego your rights as a tenant.

Don't go anywhere. The mere fact that her Notice of Quit did not expressly state the reason for her action makes it null and void. It would have made sense if she said "I'm asking you to leave because I don't like your face", rather than asking you to quit without reason, especially when you have not defaulted in any part of your tenancy agreement. Let her go to court.

The mere fact that she gave you six month's notice doesn't mean you leave in six months. Quit notice is just a first step of four levels that MUST be fulfilled before a tenant can be lawfully evicted.

While you may want to consider getting another apartment, in the course of a legal banter, DO NOT forfeit your rights. Fight!
The landlady wants her property back, Simple!

The courts will definitely rule in the landlady's favour.
you know? she could just claim he has a questionable character.

The tenant will eventually move, even if it takes A whole year. rather than wasting funds on crooked Nigerian lawyers, the earlier move, the better.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Worthydefender: 10:05am On Oct 28, 2019
Hoephase:

I strongly agreed to pack out as everyone has suggested because the reason am here with the write up is to seek for advice but with your writeup, am having a kind of rethink.
I will go to her when my rent expire by the end of this october, and if she refuses to collect I will ask her to tell me why and leave. She will not have any reason. 2 months ago, she put chickens cage at the back of my window with stinking smell but I have been told their way of life in their family. They do things to stair up argument and use it as a yardstick to start fight. I have met her respectfully in the past to ask some question, at times I would wonder if she is really human. I dnt pray u encounter her.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Deejaygold(m): 10:17am On Oct 28, 2019
xcelentattitude:

What's your own with west life na
Are you their campaign manager?

No bruh, A̶̲̥̅̊♍ just promoting my youtube channel. Please watch and also subscribe. Thanks grin

1 Like

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by LANREFORWA: 10:25am On Oct 28, 2019
[quote author=daddytime post=83521457]

How??
God na bricklayer?

Yes haven't you read, except God build a house, the laborers work in vain. . Ask those who build one, legitimately, they will tell you it is the grace of God.

I thank God I enjoy such Grace. Without God you are nothing. Even from the statement . you need to know there are steps that you need to take to get a quality house, bricklayer is not the one that build house but one of the artisans used in building construction. quote]
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by SolarEdge: 10:32am On Oct 28, 2019
ok
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by pacespot(m): 11:18am On Oct 28, 2019
Women nowadays are even badder than men, the problem is some men haven't yet noticed this and keep fighting and killing themselves over women. Imagine a quit notice for a family man without a single reason.

Start finding the new apartment man, thank goodness the six-month grace period is stated. She has made up her mind about you leaving, she could have asked you anything if there was an issue she wanted to iron out with you.

But my question to you is, how come you didn't see this coming?

1 Like

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by dgee1(m): 11:43am On Oct 28, 2019
One, it is none of your business if she accommodates her grown daughters, son and grandchildren. E no concern you! Two, as someone here rightly commented, maybe you have become an activist in the house, organizing other tenants against her and her family and struggling authority with her over her property. Sometimes we just have to act the fool to have our way. This is where diplomacy comes to play.

Lastly, where your issue with her started from was listening to people and allowing them to poison your mind against her. With your prejudice towards her, you would always read meaning to her actions, rightly or wrongly.

How would you react if a tenant in your parent's house begins to struggle authority with them on their own house, or even when you build your own house and a tenant is trying to bully you? There is a reason most landlords in Lagos always don't want to rent out their properties to a particular tribe who are mostly known to hate authority. They believe once they have paid the rent, they have the 'right' to destroy the property and lord it over you while you fold your arms and watch.

If you pay a rent of from January 1 to December 31. The Lagos state tenancy law allows your landlord to give you a six month quit notice from July 1 to December 31, while your rent runs or later than July but never earlier than July. That is, your quit notice cannot end in November while your rent ends in December. But your notice could still run while your paid rent has expired. If you want to play delay tactics and go to court, be informed that the court would still ask you to pay for all those 'free' months you feel you are using and might even ask you to pay the legal cost of the landlord, if he has a good lawyer. Court can only give you more time which you will eventually pay for.

land-LORDS/LADIES are so called for a reason.

Worthydefender:

I strongly agreed to pack out as everyone has suggested because the reason am here with the write up is to seek for advice but with your writeup, am having a kind of rethink.
I will go to her when my rent expire by the end of this october, and if she refuses to collect I will ask her to tell me why and leave. She will not have any reason. 2 months ago, she put chickens cage at the back of my window with stinking smell but I have been told their way of life in their family. They do things to stair up argument and use it as a yardstick to start fight. I have met her respectfully in the past to ask some question, at times I would wonder if she is really human. I dnt pray u encounter her.
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by ordovicianonly(f): 11:45am On Oct 28, 2019
Mr Man Na your house or your family house ? The owner of a property has the right to eject any tenant from his/her building as long as your tenancy have expired . Giving you a notice to quit after a year is not a crime or an offense . Is either you plead with her or you jejely leave her house .

1 Like

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Abimbola198212: 12:21pm On Oct 28, 2019
Mind you if you spend 6months or less you will pay,Because thats what the law states...You just have to leave since you didn't contribute to the development of the housing project.Abi you buy block for the woman?
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Burruchaga71(m): 12:54pm On Oct 28, 2019
TheMainMan:
bros just leave jejely... GOD will build your own house for you
. God will never build a house for you. You will hustle for it.
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by SEGLIZ: 1:14pm On Oct 28, 2019
gypsey:
You are just a landlord/landlady Hater. grin

If you eventually becomes a landlord, would you call yourself a demon in human flesh?

Tenants have lived in my properties for Atleast 6 to 12 months, Trashed it, moved out without paying Any rents. did i kill them? No! i just repaired What they trashed and rented the properties to other tenants. Try been a landlord for one week
in Nigeria, You will change your opinion Of landlords, I am sure of it.

Good luck! grin

you just got it all wrong.
don't be on the defensive but try remain broad here. you are just one of the few good people we have around if all you said is real.
I'm beneficiary of good landlord, I won't deny that. likewise there are devilish tenants. so I'm not denying that on both ends. I only based myself on the current topic.
I have the case of three co-tenants that moved out of the compound I stay, they occupied the same apartment successively after each other. all three are still owing rents for that same apartment, even the last two moved into there own accommodation.
I do understand your angle of view but the issue at hand is the wicked landlords. mind you if my opinion is giving consideration it will some days come around if I at all venture into property business or real estate like they call it.
the law shouldn't be about the landlords alone but even tenant that intentionally wrecks people property should bag jail term (within 6 - 12 months) with possible fines and repar.
I beg o, I no be landlord hater o, even if I never build one my parents them try. I am a beneficiary of good landlord so I know. I just believe the callous one which are more than the good ones like you must be put in check and the useless tenants also must sure enjoy the fruit of their evil labour.
this would favour everyone, while no house owner would incur loses also no tenant would face undue pressure.

1 Like

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by armadeo(m): 1:22pm On Oct 28, 2019
golddust6000:
The easiest way to defeat a landlord is to take him to court, he will surely beg you, you can stay up to 1year for in that house why the matter is still in court.
And you can decide not to give him your house rent during this period. You cannot just quit like that.
When you do this thank me later.

Pls if you're given quit notice with ample time look for another house. It's his house. After all you were planning to renew rent, use it to get a new place.

Until dem kill you for property when no be your own.

P.s it's not being a coward its avoiding an unnecessary fight

4 Likes

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by SEGLIZ: 1:47pm On Oct 28, 2019
armadeo:

Pls if you're given quit notice with ample time look for another house. It's his house. After all you were planning to renew rent, use it to get a new place.

Until dem kill you for property when no be your own.

P.s it's not being a coward its avoiding an unnecessary fight

I no fit laugh o.
"Until dem kill you for property when no be your own."
family property self I dey run like.

1 Like

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by paix(m): 1:56pm On Oct 28, 2019
Maybe the landlady wanted to steal your destiny but discovered that you are a hard nut to crack spiritually. Most landlords and landladies are destiny stealers. Please, move out.

3 Likes

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Daisy17: 2:02pm On Oct 28, 2019
golddust6000:
The easiest way to defeat a landlord is to take him to court, he will surely beg you, you can stay up to 1year for in that house why the matter is still in court.
And you can decide not to give him your house rent during this period. You cannot just quit like that.

You are promoting stealing
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by NkemChukwudi: 2:37pm On Oct 28, 2019
golddust6000:

You think this old trick works? And you think the judges are fooled? The judges are most likely landlords as well rather than tenants and you expect the judge to give a rent defaulter an advantage in court? Go and sleep you no sabi nothing.

1 Like

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by NkemChukwudi: 2:46pm On Oct 28, 2019
vincent7000:
Pack ke , your landlady is scared of you that's why she gave you a quit notice , probably most of us don't know Lagos State tenancy law , there are two ways to about it first meet her and request for a refund of remaining 6 months rent and you still have another 6 months to get another apartment which you can still take it to one year if you don't find one , ensure you have the receipt of the rent .. if she fails to do that ..get a lawyer involved and you will be surprised how so much the power you have as a tenant that's why most landlord in the Island collect 2 years rent for insurance.dont be scared of any diabolical bull shit it's your right and nothing is going to fucking happen. [color=#000099][/color]

Okoro, come and try that shit in my house!

By the time you realise those 'diabolical' things work, your dead body go dey cross the niger brridge back to una village. Nonsense, you think to build a house in Lagos na moimoi? Abi?
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by OlujobaSamuel: 2:58pm On Oct 28, 2019
madgoat:

Use your 6 months notice and it starts counting from when ur rent expires.
6months is from the period of notification not from expiry date.
Every rent owed either before or during the notice is to be paid so it's not like he is going to enjoy free meal for the 6months.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by madgoat(m): 3:05pm On Oct 28, 2019
OlujobaSamuel:

6months is from the period of notification not from expiry date.
Every rent owed either before or during the notice is to be paid so it's not like he is going to enjoy free meal for the 6months.

Oh i see. I now understand.
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by golddust6000(m): 5:56pm On Oct 28, 2019
NkemChukwudi:

You think this old trick works? And you think the judges are fooled? The judges are most likely landlords as well rather than tenants and you expect the judge to give a rent defaulter an advantage in court? Go and sleep you no sabi nothing.
you that know something why not contribute to it? You think everyone is like empty head like you? You give some quit notice for not doing anything? You forgot that the tenant sign agreement before moving it? You need to go school to learn more about law and order.
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Oct 28, 2019
SEGLIZ:

you just got it all wrong.
don't be on the defensive but try remain broad here. you are just one of the few good people we have around if all you said is real.
I'm beneficiary of good landlord, I won't deny that. likewise there are devilish tenants. so I'm not denying that on both ends. I only based myself on the current topic.
I have the case of three co-tenants that moved out of the compound I stay, they occupied the same apartment successively after each other. all three are still owing rents for that same apartment, even the last two moved into there own accommodation.
I do understand your angle of view but the issue at hand is the wicked landlords. mind you if my opinion is giving consideration it will some days come around if I at all venture into property business or real estate like they call it.
the law shouldn't be about the landlords alone but even tenant that intentionally wrecks people property should bag jail term (within 6 - 12 months) with possible fines and repar.
I beg o, I no be landlord hater o, even if I never build one my parents them try. I am a beneficiary of good landlord so I know. I just believe the callous one which are more than the good ones like you must be put in check and the useless tenants also must sure enjoy the fruit of their evil labour.
this would favour everyone, while no house owner would incur loses also no tenant would face undue pressure.
All i said is true, i am even currently trying to evict one of my tenants, Rather than paying his rent, he is paying lawyers to sue me, For repossesing my flat he lives in.

He was causing problems for other tenants and not abiding by the rules protecting my properties, So i gave him an eviction notice. i even asked him nicely to keep his 6 months rents which he has not paid and move out peacefully. But he refused. he would rather fight me in court. grin

I invested in numerous properties, I don't make any profits, it is just a way to save my money rather than leave the money in the bank, The one good thing though is that the properties Increases in values Every year. And that is if they are in Good conditions. Yess! Some landlords are Terrible but not All.

One tenant stayed in one of my flats for 13 months didn't pay me a cent. He has 4 children, i didn't want to throw his kids out in the streets so i let him stay for that long. hopping he will pay one day. but he parked up a left without my knowledge. His wife was even pregnant at the time and he was unemployed.

Me the landlord have just 2 children, him unemployed, with 4 children and another on the way. cheesy Isn't that irresponsible?

However, you are correct this time grin, I only responded to your comments previously because you called landlords/landladys Evil monsters

Property or real estate is good business if you are a patient person, and able to deal with Some not very nice tenants/people.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Much Does It Cost To Build A 5 Bed Room Flat / Ebute-Meta Building Tenants Given Quit Notice Before Collapse - Caretaker / Two Storey Building Collapses In Abuja, One Dead, Several Rescued

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.