Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? (26307 Views)

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / 31-Year-Old Landlady: 'I Built This House With My Money, Not With My Body' / My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Oct 28, 2019
golddust6000:
you that know something why not contribute to it? You think everyone is like empty head like you? You give some quit notice for not doing anything? You forgot that the tenant sign agreement before moving it? You need to go school to learn more about law and order.
You may be right, yes! with Agreement a landlord cannot just evict without any reasons.

But like the guy said, Eventually the judge will rule in favour of the landlord, the landlord wants his properties back. but would give the tenant some time to vacate the property. you cannot live in the landlord's property forever. grin

1 Like

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by uncastableodd(f): 2:11am On Oct 29, 2019
Worthydefender:

My rent has not even expired....It would expire by the end of October 2019....she served me the notice 27 of October

I was also given quit notice on September 25th while my rent expires in two days to come.

I can't even beg that stupid man. I will definitely move out latest March 2020.

That man extorts me too much.

Money for this money for that and when u are the first person to pay electricity bill, PHCN will still come and disconnect the building source of supply and three days, they will not fix it up and he expect me to keep quiet when I have family who can't sleep without fan. The man and his wife will keep paying half of the money we contribute every month while the IKEJA distribution company cuts us off for outstanding and this outstanding keeps accumulating and he expect me not to be crazy with him.

OMo,na two days a para for the man and his wife. The kain para wey a para for the man no be here o. I dared him to try not to fix the light but the man fix the light because I promised him I will bring heaven down on him.

Why will I always be the first to pay for light every month and I will not get the light for three days claiming other people have not paid or because of outstanding which is never my own fault or any tenant fault.

The man can't even spare his #5 to clear all the bill and then disconnect those who did not pay which he can get later from them if he have a better tenant -landlord relationship .

I am to pay #140k for new rent but now, I will be sourcing for additional #160k to get another room and parlour self contain.

The other time, his building nearly burnt down but thank God for the tenants and other people in the community who quenched the fire in the midnight. Yet, the stupid man still charged us #3,000 each to buy wires and I asked the man, if our electronics have been caught in the flame, will we ask him to repair it. He keeps asking for money every time and I give but I give with so much complaints and he doesn't like it.

We pay money for every damn thing even sometimes, we contribute just #50 for some things to be fixed.

The man can't spare a single kobo maintain his own house.

I spit on the foolish man head and his wife.

The landlord have been hating me because I could not secure IT placement for his daughter in my office. Who does that? Imagine in my first month of stay in that house o,he said he wanted his daughter to do his IT in my office.

May thunder fire him

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by vincent7000(m): 6:44am On Oct 29, 2019
NkemChukwudi:

Okoro, come and try that shit in my house!

By the time you realise those 'diabolical' things work, your dead body go dey cross the niger brridge back to una village. Nonsense, you think to build a house in Lagos na moimoi? Abi?

That's why you remain retarded till date
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by divoteeomoope: 8:10am On Oct 29, 2019
Scandinavian02:
Are you owing rent?
�����
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by elchariotlp: 10:02am On Oct 29, 2019
LKO:

Do you force a willing tenant on an unwilling landlord? He should contact you so u can provide him free legal representation? Stop making issues complex for the man.

If u are still interested in the house, give your landlord rent at the expiration of your current rental. Haha! Na by force?

The man should go plead with the landlady, if she is adamant, look for money and move out quietly. Except you have a lawyer relative to help u, be ready to spend money on a lawyer with their exploitative charges. Pay to file a case, pay for appearance fee, pay this pay that, at the end you would still spend money to move out. No Judge would force a willing tenant on an unwilling landlord. The worse the judge would do is to give u more time to enable u get a new place, and u must pay for all the months u stay. It is not free.

Except where a tenant is in default of his rental or breaches his tenancy agreement, the Landlord has no power to evict him. It does not lie in the mouth of the Landlord to say that he does not want the tenant again so the issue of "Unwilling Landlord" does not arise. Landlord/Tenancy relationship is distinct from Employer/Employee relationship.

You cant keep changing house every year because your Landlord wants to evict you and collect new agency, agreement and caution fee from a new Tenant.

For your information, you dont even need a Lawyer to successfully defend a Tenancy matter against your Landlord in Magistrate Court. Moreover, it is rare for a Landlord to take you to court when you are not owing rent and have not breached your tenancy. The Quite Notice is just to shaken you and there are ways to even handle it and put the Landlady on his toes.

Finally, dont always advice on what you have limited or no knowledge about and avoid making hasty conclusion.

Regarda
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Worthydefender: 10:11am On Oct 29, 2019
uncastableodd:

I was also given quit notice on September 25th while my rent expires in two days to come.

I can't even beg that stupid man. I will definitely move out latest March 2020.

That man extorts me too much.

Money for this money for that and when u are the first person to pay electricity bill, PHCN will still come and disconnect the building source of supply and three days, they will not fix it up and he expect me to keep quiet when I have family who can't sleep without fan. The man and his wife will keep paying half of the money we contribute every month while the IKEJA distribution company cuts us off for outstanding and this outstanding keeps accumulating and he expect me not to be crazy with him.

OMo,na two days a para for the man and his wife. The kain para wey a para for the man no be here o. I dared him to try not to fix the light but the man fix the light because I promised him I will bring heaven down on him.

Why will I always be the first to pay for light every month and I will not get the light for three days claiming other people have not paid or because of outstanding which is never my own fault or any tenant fault.

The man can't even spare his #5 to clear all the bill and then disconnect those who did not pay which he can get later from them if he have a better tenant -landlord relationship .

I am to pay #140k for new rent but now, I will be sourcing for additional #160k to get another room and parlour self contain.

The other time, his building nearly burnt down but thank God for the tenants and other people in the community who quenched the fire in the midnight. Yet, the stupid man still charged us #3,000 each to buy wires and I asked the man, if our electronics have been caught in the flame, will we ask him to repair it. He keeps asking for money every time and I give but I give with so much complaints and he doesn't like it.

We pay money for every damn thing even sometimes, we contribute just #50 for some things to be fixed.

The man can't spare a single kobo maintain his own house.

I spit on the foolish man head and his wife.

The landlord have been hating me because I could not secure IT placement for his daughter in my office. Who does that? Imagine in my first month of stay in that house o,he said he wanted his daughter to do his IT in my office.

May thunder fire him

I keep wondering why they are acting that way when they have their own children.
People are advising that I shouldnt take the matter up legally because she might go spiritual. It just so pathetic to see some Landlords/Landlady acting like a beast.
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by NkemChukwudi: 11:04am On Oct 29, 2019
vincent7000:

That's why you remain retarded till date

Me? Slow? You wey still dey rent house .......against me wey dey collect from 21 flats and 3 shops. Abeg swerve!
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Hoephase: 1:37pm On Oct 29, 2019
Worthydefender:

I strongly agreed to pack out as everyone has suggested because the reason am here with the write up is to seek for advice but with your writeup, am having a kind of rethink.
I will go to her when my rent expire by the end of this october, and if she refuses to collect I will ask her to tell me why and leave. She will not have any reason. 2 months ago, she put chickens cage at the back of my window with stinking smell but I have been told their way of life in their family. They do things to stair up argument and use it as a yardstick to start fight. I have met her respectfully in the past to ask some question, at times I would wonder if she is really human. I dnt pray u encounter her.

If you really want to move out that is fine and good but I don't think it is okay to subscribe to the don't ask don't tell attitude to just move out quietly.

If I were you even if I intend moving out I will still ask for clarification why I am been thrown out.

I think it is sensible thing to do at least you can point to what her excuses her no matter how illogical it might be.

1 Like

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by uncastableodd(f): 2:55pm On Oct 29, 2019
Worthydefender:

I keep wondering why they are acting that way when they have their own children.
People are advising that I shouldnt take the matter up legally because she might go spiritual. It just so pathetic to see some Landlords/Landlady acting like a beast.

Na craze dey worry them
I can't even beg anybody as far as I know u r the one cheating me .I can't even keep quiet

1 Like

Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by tpapi: 3:43pm On Oct 29, 2019
teemy:

A six months notice is issued only to non owing tenants. Take note though that any period used must be paid for. It is not a free six months so you don't get dragged for skipping payment. Also, if your previous rent is due within that period, you either move out or pay the balance for the six months. If you end up actually owing even if you were not dragged for it, you won't be there to defend 39 lies out of a complaint of 40.

I find it funny to see some giving you the advice to drag house or court issue with the landlady that followed legal procedures to evict you. She gave you a notice covering good time as required for one year tenancy (confirm with the lagos state tenancy law), why the trouble making. I have been on both sides of the divide in court and can tell you that you could even be asked to pay extra for the services of landlady's legal team. I believe this last period will determine a lot of you in that house as well as area. Do be careful not to smear your name.

She doesn't want to drag issues with you and if you were to look at things from her own angle, most likely the pumping machine broke down in the past and thus led to the levy as a sort of insurance and some extra as profits. Where she faulted was restricting access after collecting pump insurance money. I believe apart from that you don't have issues with the house. You can still talk it over and start paying your 1k or leave if your mind is already set to. In organised nations, past infractions by tenants and landlords can be obtained before rent is given or taken and the background check would help decision making.

Wishing you well - Teemy
let us assume a tenant's rent expired on May 2019 and 5 months after d rent expired, he is still not able to pay his rent, how do u quit such tenants legally assuming he pays his rent yearly
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by LKO(m): 5:51pm On Oct 29, 2019
elchariotlp:

Except where a tenant is in default of his rental or breaches his tenancy agreement, the Landlord has no power to evict him. It does not lie in the mouth of the Landlord to say that he does not want the tenant again so the issue of "Unwilling Landlord" does not arise. Landlord/Tenancy relationship is distinct from Employer/Employee relationship.

You cant keep changing house every year because your Landlord wants to evict you and collect new agency, agreement and caution fee from a new Tenant.

For your information, you dont even need a Lawyer to successfully defend a Tenancy matter against your Landlord in Magistrate Court. Moreover, it is rare for a Landlord to take you to court when you are not owing rent and have not breached your tenancy. The Quite Notice is just to shaken you and there are ways to even handle it and put the Landlady on his toes.

Finally, dont always advice on what you have limited or no knowledge about and avoid making hasty conclusion.

Regarda

A landlord can terminate a tenancy legally if he chooses to, all he needs to do is to give adequate quit notice as provided for by law. A yearly tenant is entitled to a six month quit notice if there is no tenancy agreement. If the tenancy agreement stipulate the duration of quit notice and the tenant signed to that agreement, then that agreement stands and would be honoured by the court. Once a landlord says he need his property for personal use, then you must go, whether u breached a tenancy agreement or not is of no moment. The landlord must however follow the due process of evicting a tenant. You are totally clueless on this issue and I pity anyone who would take to your pedestrian opinion. No go build your house, stay there and be forming boss in another's man sweat.
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by teemy(m): 8:20pm On Oct 29, 2019
tpapi:
let us assume a tenant's rent expired on May 2019 and 5 months after d rent expired, he is still not able to pay his rent, how do u quit such tenants legally assuming he pays his rent yearly

Once a tenant defaults within 7 days from due date, he becomes a tenant-at-will meaning his tenancy is at the will of the landlord.

The landlord has to give him a 7 days notice to quit (this differs from state to state. Oyo state is one month notice and then followed by the 7 days notice)

I will explain the one month notice again. It has to cover a first of the month and the end of the month meaning for November, you must issue the one month notice BEFORE the 1st of November and on the first of December, you then can issue the 7 days notice. If you missed October 31 and gave the notice on the first of November, the one month notice will start from that November but end at December 31st. The first date and last date of the month must be unique.

For service of the notice, you have to go with two copies. You serve one and the tenant signs the other. If you can't find the tenant or the tenant refuses to sign, just paste the copy on the entrance door and take a picture. That is all.

After the 7 days (as I mentioned depends on the state) you can then approach the rent court if you have in your vicinity (cheaper and faster) or get a lawyer that will take up your case at the magistrate court. Your prayers will be for the outstanding rent, any rent till the tenant finally moves based on date set by court (called 'mense profits') and the eviction of the tenant. This may take a few months depending on adjournments but within 1-3/4 appearances, your case will be settled.

One way of making it worth your while is to ask the court among your prayers to grant you the lawyer's service fee as it was extra cost to you. If you do this once on a scapegoat, all the others will buckle up and see you as a peaceful yet no-nonsense landlord. They will keep telling the stories that staying past their due dates does not pay them at all.

I hope I answered your question.

Wishing you well - Teemy
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Worthydefender: 8:32pm On Oct 29, 2019
Hoephase:

If you really want to move out that is fine and good but I don't think it is okay to subscribe to the don't ask don't tell attitude to just move out quietly.

If I were you even if I intend moving out I will still ask for clarification why I am been thrown out.

I think it is sensible thing to do at least you can point to what her excuses her no matter how illogical it might be.

I asked her today. She said she has no problem with me that one of her daughter that owns the apartment wanna travel out that she wanna put her loads in my apartment and lock it up. I said ok and left her.
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by Hoephase: 6:31am On Oct 30, 2019
Worthydefender:

I asked her today. She said she has no problem with me that one of her daughter that owns the apartment wanna travel out that she wanna put her loads in my apartment and lock it up. I said ok and left her.

In my opinion you see it is better you asked.

At least whichever way it is better to clarify things.
Re: I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? by elchariotlp: 7:01pm On Oct 30, 2019
LKO:

A landlord can terminate a tenancy legally if he chooses to, all he needs to do is to give adequate quit notice as provided for by law. A yearly tenant is entitled to a six month quit notice if there is no tenancy agreement. If the tenancy agreement stipulate the duration of quit notice and the tenant signed to that agreement, then that agreement stands and would be honoured by the court. Once a landlord says he need his property for personal use, then you must go, whether u breached a tenancy agreement or not is of no moment. The landlord must however follow the due process of evicting a tenant. You are totally clueless on this issue and I pity anyone who would take to your pedestrian opinion. No go build your house, stay there and be forming boss in another's man sweat.

When you argue with someone you dont see or know, try not to assume things because their is a probability your assumption will be faulty.

The first sentence you made is not correct. It doesn't lie on the Landlord to terminate a Tenancy at Will. There must be a justification (ground) for termination and he must prove same.

Although Landlord can terminate a Tenancy if he needs the accommodation for personal use. The Court will not evict a Tenant where it is shown that the Landlord is merely trying to victimise the Tenant as in this case.

Insisting that the proper thing be done doesn't amount to victimisation.

Peace

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Much Does It Cost To Build A 5 Bed Room Flat / Ebute-Meta Building Tenants Given Quit Notice Before Collapse - Caretaker / Two Storey Building Collapses In Abuja, One Dead, Several Rescued

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.