Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,489 members, 7,816,155 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Capetown, South Africa - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Capetown, South Africa (16603 Views)

Anyone In Capetown For Hangout(sa) / Man Flies Over South Africa In A Chair Tied To Helium Balloons(video / PHOTO) / Requirement Need In Entering SA, In Capetown International Airport. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Capetown, South Africa by rusher14: 8:58am On Dec 27, 2019
Ishilove:

Na Nnamdi Kanu talk am. They are going to harness y'all into the Biafran empire come 2020.

Guy I still dey suspect you. It can't be just coincidence cheesy

Nnamdi Kanu is a joker.

I've never taken him seriously.

I can see why you would think he's my alternate persona but no.

Nigeria is filled with quite a number of exposed people. Don't limit our views to one individual.

2 Likes

Re: Capetown, South Africa by Ishilove: 9:00am On Dec 27, 2019
rusher14:

Nnamdi Kanu is a joker.

I've never taken him seriously.

I can see why you would think he's my alternate persona but no.

Nigeria is filled with quite a number of exposed people. Don't limit our views to one individual.
I was just pulling your leg. Kanu is a clown
Re: Capetown, South Africa by DexterousOne(m): 12:13pm On Dec 27, 2019
Ishilove:

Trevor-Roper said "African history is nothing but the gyrations of barbarous tribes in picturesque but insignificant parts of the globe" (the racist asshole), and are we not still behaving like barbarians, decades later? Is it not madness to be so greedy that you don't care that you are a second class citizen in the countries you are carrying the looted funds to?

Interesting
Re: Capetown, South Africa by DexterousOne(m): 12:14pm On Dec 27, 2019
Ishilove:

My brother leave Nairaland youths. The generation before ours failed us, just as we have failed the ones after us. What you're seeing now is the fallout of these successive failures.

That is true
Re: Capetown, South Africa by DexterousOne(m): 12:16pm On Dec 27, 2019
Ishilove:
That's the point. What are the causes of the perennial internecine conflicts that plague the continent? Like rusher14 pointed out, greed is a major factor. Like barbarians we are too greedy to fairly and evenly share the resources that cause these conflicts, too divided among ethnic lines and just too plain corrupt to harness these same resources for our own development.

Don't forget foreign influence too
That also plays it's own role in the destabilization of Africa

But it's not an excuse

1 Like

Re: Capetown, South Africa by DexterousOne(m): 12:19pm On Dec 27, 2019
Ishilove:

Ogbeni we are too hungry to care about achievement. Give us food first, achievement be damned cheesy tongue

Hahahaha
Hunger is really bad
Re: Capetown, South Africa by DexterousOne(m): 12:21pm On Dec 27, 2019
Vanhooijdonk:

Not until Nigerians travel abroad will they realize that life in the country can be so much better.. The rulers have destroyed and plundered the nation.
The leaders all travel abroad and have their children schooling in civilized nations, but refuse to replicate what they see.

You are right
Life in Nigeria is hellish

The unexposed ones, and the ones who never travelled don't know the extent
Re: Capetown, South Africa by DexterousOne(m): 12:23pm On Dec 27, 2019
nlPoster:
I doubt South Africans would enjoy staying anywhere else in (subsaharan) Africa besides their own country.

Too much difference.

Most black south Africans live in townships
Re: Capetown, South Africa by Nobody: 12:31pm On Dec 27, 2019
DexterousOne:

Don't forget foreign influence too
That also plays it's own role in the destabilization of Africa

But it's not an excuse
Nigeria got independence since 1960, their was no foreign influence in the state Nigeria finds itself today.
Re: Capetown, South Africa by DexterousOne(m): 1:02pm On Dec 27, 2019
Vanhooijdonk:

Nigeria got independence since 1960, their was no foreign influence in the state Nigeria finds itself today.

This is a comment from a position of ignorance

If you think there are no foreign actors in the scene, think again.

You might have gotten political independence (which btw is not complete )
But you are not yet free.

The resource rich countries of Africa have foreign multinationals stirring issues here and there

Only if you knew
But still
They use local collaborators.

Britain is to blame for a good number of our issues.

We could stave it off
But are we ready?
.remember Libya
Re: Capetown, South Africa by Nobody: 1:13pm On Dec 27, 2019
DexterousOne:

The resource rich countries of Africa have foreign multinationals stirring issues here and there

Only if you knew
But still

We could stave it off
But are we ready?
.remember Libya
Re: Capetown, South Africa by miqos02(m): 1:50pm On Dec 27, 2019
Beautyaddy:

Yes, also Nigeria got its Independence from Britain too soon and not at the ripe age.
please stop giving this type of excuses, who developed Dubai? Whites or locals?
Re: Capetown, South Africa by miqos02(m): 1:51pm On Dec 27, 2019
DexterousOne:

Only if you knew
But still

We could stave it off
But are we ready?
.remember Libya
you are giving excuses.
Re: Capetown, South Africa by miqos02(m): 1:58pm On Dec 27, 2019
LeSudAfricaine:
that building is being built in Sandton, Johannesburg.
I thought as much

1 Like

Re: Capetown, South Africa by DexterousOne(m): 2:10pm On Dec 27, 2019
miqos02:
you are giving excuses.

You call these excuses?

LMAO cheesy cheesy
Re: Capetown, South Africa by DexterousOne(m): 2:11pm On Dec 27, 2019
miqos02:
please stop giving this type of excuses, who developed Dubai? Whites or locals?

Actually it's European and American contractors

All UAE did was pay for them.

Just saying
Re: Capetown, South Africa by DexterousOne(m): 2:11pm On Dec 27, 2019
Vanhooijdonk:

Is it Britain that forced Nigerian politicians to loot $582 billions dollars since 1960 to live kings on earth

This is the other end of the stick
I'm not denying this fact
.But then

You cannot discount the effect of foreign influence
Re: Capetown, South Africa by Nobody: 2:14pm On Dec 27, 2019
DexterousOne:

This is the other end of the stick
I'm not denying this fact
.But then

You cannot discount the effect of foreign influence
[b
Re: Capetown, South Africa by miqos02(m): 2:16pm On Dec 27, 2019
DexterousOne:

Actually it's European and American contractors

All UAE did was pay for them.

Just saying
I can see you credited Europeans, Americans and the locals.

What can you say about our country?

1 Like

Re: Capetown, South Africa by miqos02(m): 2:17pm On Dec 27, 2019
DexterousOne:

You call these excuses?

LMAO cheesy cheesy

I stand on that statement
Re: Capetown, South Africa by Nobody: 2:26pm On Dec 27, 2019
miqos02:

I stand on that statement
You have nothing to stand on
Re: Capetown, South Africa by IronGalaxy: 2:53pm On Dec 27, 2019
DexterousOne:

Most black south Africans live in townships
False. They live everywhere
Re: Capetown, South Africa by IronGalaxy: 3:31pm On Dec 27, 2019
rusher14:

I know.

I was mighty surprised how a few black South African colleagues I knew were supporting the Netherlands at the world cup or was it the Olympics now? I forget.

The Dutch actually developed South Africa and it's the fallout of this we see today.

Sad, no contemporary African civilization has done similar.

I haven't been to Kigali but for now I perceive hype. I may be wrong though.

Firstly, not every white person in South Africa is of Dutch lineage, there are a lot of modern Afrikaners who are of French lineage who arrived as Huguenots and settled in what's is now called Franschoek, there are also British, Greek, Portuguese etc.

Secondly, if it's whites who developed South Africa what were natives doing then? Did they not do as much as lifting a brick? Did they not lay the rail tracks? Did they not build Fort hare university which has produced some of the most brilliant black minds? What about the Indians brought by the Dutch East India Company to work at the plantations? Did they not also add to the development of the country? I don't think you guys understand how SA was developed, to be honest.

Development is not exactly an event but it's forever ongoing, there are many things by way of development that's has progressed post 94, the apartheid government, for example, build a power plant to service their tiny population and after the fall of apartheid, electricity was available to everyone. The power problems we country face are due to the fact that infrastructure becomes obsolete and some of our power plants have sadly passed their sell-by date, and who's left to replace or upgrade that? The same Black govt you guys always look down upon but which, as I'm typing this two plants to power plants are being built and isn't that development?

And lastly, what you see in Kigali is not hype but commendable efforts of a country that has endured many years of war but is showing signs of progress, no excuses of white absence etc. You are merely not impressed by their efforts because you don't expect much from black people in general
Re: Capetown, South Africa by j3log: 4:12pm On Dec 27, 2019
Capetown is quite cold for summer
Re: Capetown, South Africa by j3log: 4:21pm On Dec 27, 2019
@iron galaxy .in capetown at the moment from nigeria, and my impression is that south Africans are quite(very) unfriendly people.

Any nigerian coming here,don't expect the Nigerian hospitality we give to strangers esp foreigners (except you're probably of white skin)

South Africa atempts to market itself as a tourist destination ,but believe me alot of south Africans are mean and not welcoming especially if you're black african
Re: Capetown, South Africa by j3log: 4:31pm On Dec 27, 2019
Most don't travel,so all they know is their country
There is much paranoia for security,so much so you cant adventure and explore the city.
With all the rumored insequrity in lagos, you can move around ,enjoy the local flavour and have a great time enjoying lagos.
Everyone tells you to be very cautious in capetown, you can't even interact with your host environment and have a genuine deep feel of the city ,you cant even enter public transport without glances left right center.
Re: Capetown, South Africa by Nobody: 4:53pm On Dec 27, 2019
j3log:
@iron galaxy .in capetown at the moment from nigeria, and my impression is that south Africans are quite(very) unfriendly people.

Any nigerian coming here,don't expect the Nigerian hospitality we give to strangers esp foreigners (except you're probably of white skin)

South Africa atempts to market itself as a tourist destination ,but believe me alot of south Africans are mean and not welcoming especially if you're black african
They hate Nigerians. If only a few bad eggs didn't go there and soil our reputation.

Nigeria as a brand has one of the worst reputations in the world. Telling people you're Nigerian abroad comes with a stigma and you have to convince people you're not a fraudster or drug dealer.I remember being told in University by other Africans their parents told them to stay away from Nigerians.

The only thing that is helping Nigeria's brand image is music and nollywood.

If you told them you were British,Dutch or American they would have treated you with hospitality. A good name is everything and being Nigerian you have to convince foreigners you are different from the negative stereotype they have about Nigerians.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Capetown, South Africa by rusher14: 5:38pm On Dec 27, 2019
IronGalaxy:
Firstly, not every white person in South Africa is of Dutch lineage, there are a lot of modern Afrikaners who are of French lineage who arrived as Huguenots and settled in what's is now called Franschoek, there are also British, Greek, Portuguese etc.

Secondly, if it's whites who developed South Africa what were natives doing then? Did they not do as much as lifting a brick? Did they not lay the rail tracks? Did they not build Fort hare university which has produced some of the most brilliant black minds? What about the Indians brought by the Dutch East India Company to work at the plantations? Did they not also add to the development of the country? I don't think you guys understand how SA was developed, to be honest.

Development is not exactly an event but it's forever ongoing, there are many things by way of development that's has progressed post 94, the apartheid government, for example, build a power plant to service their tiny population and after the fall of apartheid, electricity was available to everyone. The power problems we country face are due to the fact that infrastructure becomes obsolete and some of our power plants have sadly passed their sell-by date, and who's left to replace or upgrade that? The same Black govt you guys always look down upon but which, as I'm typing this two plants to power plants are being built and isn't that development?

And lastly, what you see in Kigali is not hype but commendable efforts of a country that has endured many years of war but is showing signs of progress, no excuses of white absence etc. You are merely not impressed by their efforts because you don't expect much from black people in general

Your whole submission appears to be with some animosity.

I am aware of the Huguenots in South Africa. I actually dated one her surname was Nel.

South Africa is a multicultural country but we cannot over emphasize the influence of the Dutch in its development.

I wasnt writing a treatise on South African development.

For Rwanda, how many images from Rwanda has the average person seen?

There are so many western countries I've been to and ended up with the feeling that their reputation was also hype.

By the way, I'm actually in South Africa typing this.
Re: Capetown, South Africa by mroyato(m): 6:06pm On Dec 27, 2019
j3log:
Most don't travel,so all they know is their country
There is much paranoia for security,so much so you cant adventure and explore the city.
With all the rumored insequrity in lagos, you can move around ,enjoy the local flavour and have a great time enjoying lagos.
Everyone tells you to be very cautious in capetown, you can't even interact with your host environment and have a genuine deep feel of the city ,you cant even enter public transport without glances left right center.

Bros check again if you are in Capetown. Maybe you are in cape verde.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Capetown, South Africa by IronGalaxy: 10:03pm On Dec 27, 2019
rusher14:

Your whole submission appears to be with some animosity.

I am aware of the Huguenots in South Africa. I actually dated one her surname was Nel.

South Africa is a multicultural country but we cannot over emphasize the influence of the Dutch in its development.

I wasnt writing a treatise on South African development.

For Rwanda, how many images from Rwanda has the average person seen?

There are so many western countries I've been to and ended up with the feeling that their reputation was also hype.

By the way, I'm actually in South Africa typing this.
its not with animosity but rather annoyance in people on this forum always attributing development to one race, it's far more complex than that.
Re: Capetown, South Africa by rusher14: 10:09pm On Dec 27, 2019
IronGalaxy:
its not with animosity but rather annoyance in people on this forum always attributing development to one race, it's far more complex than that.

The trend is there for all to see.

We have not blazed any trail I'm civilisation as we know it.

Countries with any sense of modernization happen to be those with strong western influence.

For a man to succeed he must first tell himself the truth about his failings.

I do not any time think any race is superior to the other, yet, for achievements to be made continuously, negative traits must be squashed or greatly reduced in majority of the people.

We are yet to do that.

In fact, Nigeria in particular has become even more primitive.
Re: Capetown, South Africa by IronGalaxy: 10:13pm On Dec 27, 2019
j3log:

South Africa atempts to market itself as a tourist destination ,but believe me, a lot of South Africans are mean and not welcoming especially if you're black african
There is a misconception that we South Africans are very unfriendly blah blah, but that is not true, we have accommodated many Africans for many many decades and many Zimbabweans, Mozambicans etc have lived amongst us and assimilated to our culture and speak local languages fluently, we can't all of a sudden be unfriendly and hateful, many South Africans are wary of Nigerians though and that's not entirely exclusive to South Africans. Btw South Africa is a tourist destination

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Japa: Navy Arrested 75 Nigerian Stowaways Hidden Under Rudder Of Cargo Ships / How Many Countries & States In Nigeria Have You Been To? / Dana Air Clears Air On Malicious Whatsapp Message

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.