Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:51 AM

Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? (23086 Views)

Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? / Is It Right For A Lady To Live Alone? / Is It Right For My Niece's Boyfriend To Visit Her In My House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by kunleweb: 10:19pm On Nov 04, 2019
Jewessgratitude:

Still asking? Only a slowpoke will acquire properties in her mans name in this perilous times. Even the men are not advising such a risky venture cos they know.

Why would I When I have children? After Me and hubby live life finish, who's next? Is it not our children? And one aborkorku is already saying 'my own his own' shior! Make your eye no clear soon.

It is very very ok√√√√.

Lol. Babe easy

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Jhamzy(m): 10:19pm On Nov 04, 2019
Lamanii22:
Before nko... All my properties would remain in my name.... It's hard to truss men these days...

I will advice you not to marry who you don't truly love and trust. Discuss issues like this extensively before getting into marriage.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Nov 04, 2019
martowskin1:

I don't think there is any sensible man out there who will be struggling for his wife to buy property in his name.

If there is, then such a man has no shame, a complete idiot.

What ever a woman want to do with her property is her choice to make, person like me won't even want to know if u have a property or not....

Imagine otedola or Dangote asking their wife to buy property on their name, na poverty they cause all this rubbish if not this is not even a topic of discussion

Tell them ooo
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by m140(m): 10:20pm On Nov 04, 2019
Lamanii22:
Before nko... All my properties would remain in my name.... It's hard to truss men these days...
But easy to trust women bah
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Nov 04, 2019
kunleweb:

Lol. Babe easy

Na true now.
I read so many stories on Facebook about how a woman said she bought a land and built it in her Hubby's name so that her family can respect the man only for the man to later divorce her and asked her to leave with her children as he's bringing his new wife to the house.
She now came to Facebook to ask what she should so to get her property back. Too late cos the C of O and other documents, she handed to the man when it still dey sweet....now she can't even sue the man because no evidence she's the owner of the property. And several other cases like that. Still they nor wan learn.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Alokk: 10:30pm On Nov 04, 2019
No she should keep it in PMB's Name. �
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Joystark(f): 10:30pm On Nov 04, 2019
I woulda dropped a comment,
buh...
I'm not married, I don't have a property.

Let's leave this for those with experience cheesy
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by nlPoster: 10:31pm On Nov 04, 2019
Pussywar:

But it isn't always about finance. I could leave something to be remembered for, or something that is special to them, like a house. Even so, I'm saying I'm leaving no properties for my kids.

1. I don't use sentiment where common sense works just as well. So I wont view an issue from a sentimental angle if doing so would expose me to scammers and vultures who consider me their lawful prey due to a sentimental nature.

2. The topic has nothing to do with me, I simply gave my opinion. I'm not saying I'm right, you do what works for you, likewise everybody else.

3. In this day and age, leave for your kids treasures that wont make them vulnerable targets for unscrupulous people, or people who have a grudge against them for whatever reason, especially if you know you give them the leeway and they (your kids) might not be prepared for the unleashing of such bitterness they might have been unaware of.

4. If you want your kids to have your property, then make sure you do everything required by law to make them your heirs and do not leave any loopholes others can exploit.

5. As I've mentioned before, Nigerians by nature are anarchists and they also believe the property of other people belongs to them. If you carelessly do not do all the necessary things required to protect your investments, then it's assumed it doesn't matter to you who gets them. In which case, they're considered free for all.

6. If you're one of those "jolly good fellow" types to whom the happiness of other people is more important than your well being (we've all been there), then in my opinion, dont be talking about property, just enjoy your own self and leave tomorrow to sort itself out. undecided

My thoughts.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by joelsky: 10:41pm On Nov 04, 2019
Lamanii22:

you sound like a troublemaker anyway.... i hope your future husband sees this!
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by edoairways: 10:42pm On Nov 04, 2019
Sanchez01:

My point is, your mindset reveals you have a space already reserved for 'wàhálà', particularly when your other half buys something solely in his name. Before it gets to that point, spend more time looking/talking for/about these stuff prior to marriage.

If you sit a male down and he tells you that he sees no reason why he should buy properties in both your names, then by all means bail or walk away to avoid future problems.

The idea of doing things seperately, particularly property related voids marriage design. I know some would claim 'anything can happen tomorrow'. The idea of 'anything can happen' in itself gives an idea that they are going into a lifetime commitment with a higher probability of bailing tomorrow.

I sincerely wonder what people discuss in courtship these days.
People change even if you knew them for long

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by kazyhm(m): 10:47pm On Nov 04, 2019
So the wife should not adopt her husband as well ?

Very funny unsolicited advice
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by nlPoster: 11:00pm On Nov 04, 2019
From what I see these days, Nigerians are giving their parents property, not the other way round.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Advancedman(m): 11:08pm On Nov 04, 2019
AXYZ:
I saw a tweet (on twitter) from a certain Ronald Nzimora and later supported by his friend, Hon. Akin Alabi as regards the above subject (as attached).

Thus, I'm compelled to ask if it's actually right for a WIFE to own properties in HER name.

1. What if the wife is richer and kept everything in her name. Don't you feel the husband will feel 'detached' and maybe unhappy?

2. What if the husband is richer and kept all the properties in his name. Don't you feel the wife will feel 'detached' and maybe unhappy?

PS. My wife and I work, and are financially independent of each other. She's been supportive
though and we buy properties in our names, e.g. Mr Kenneth Cole and Mrs Grace Cole. This is rational and not abnormal.

Any woman you paid bride price for or the marriage is categories by families and not an act by two consenting adults the man own the wife so anything in her name is taboo

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by petitejolie(f): 11:25pm On Nov 04, 2019
Its not suppose to be this way but na condition make crayfish bend.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by plasgidy: 11:26pm On Nov 04, 2019
Lamanii22:

Then you have no business with a man and marriage, you should keep hold of your property and stay off marriage cos marriage has a rule and guide if you are not ready to abide by that rule then what on earth are you looking for a man in your life for?

The bible says when husband and wife are joined together they becomes one not two, if you have properties before and after marriage is for both of you not yours alone now this is applicable to the man too. Any thing away from this will bring suspicion.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by uuzba(m): 11:26pm On Nov 04, 2019
Lamanii22:
So why would you marry a person you don't trust in the first place?
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by kunleweb: 11:40pm On Nov 04, 2019
Jewessgratitude:

Na true now.
I read so many stories on Facebook about how a woman said she bought a land and built it in her Hubby's name so that her family can respect the man only for the man to later divorce her and asked her to leave with her children as he's bringing his new wife to the house.
She now came to Facebook to ask what she should so to get her property back. Too late cos the C of O and other documents, she handed to the man when it still dey sweet....now she can't even sue the man because no evidence she's the owner of the property. And several other cases like that. Still they nor wan learn.

Jeez. No Conscience. Mehn I'm tired of the negative news everywhere. Its exhausting.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Priest69(m): 11:50pm On Nov 04, 2019
Of course it is right. Is she not a human being?
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Nov 04, 2019
AXYZ:
I saw a tweet (on twitter) from a certain Ronald Nzimora and later supported by his friend, Hon. Akin Alabi as regards the above subject (as attached).

Thus, I'm compelled to ask if it's actually right for a WIFE to own properties in HER name.

1. What if the wife is richer and kept everything in her name. Don't you feel the husband will feel 'detached' and maybe unhappy?

2. What if the husband is richer and kept all the properties in his name. Don't you feel the wife will feel 'detached' and maybe unhappy?

PS. My wife and I work, and are financially independent of each other. She's been supportive
though and we buy properties in our names, e.g. Mr Kenneth Cole and Mrs Grace Cole. This is rational and not abnormal.

Only an insecure man would question his wife's buying property with her money in her name. My wife bought land, I helped her register it solely in her name and am currently helping her to build a house on it; though the larger portion of the money is from her income. I see no issue with it at all. If I die, I would like to know that my wife and kids have a completely secure home that no one can contest with her. In the meantime, she can rent it out and increase her own income while living in my own house which it is my duty to provide.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Nobody: 12:11am On Nov 05, 2019
Yes of course
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by plasgidy: 12:20am On Nov 05, 2019
RisenPhoenix:

Only an insecure man would question his wife's buying property with her money in her name. My wife bought land, I helped her register it solely in her name and am currently helping her to build a house on it; though the larger portion of the money is from her income. I see no issue with it at all. If I die, I would like to know that my wife and kids have a completely secure home that no one can contest with her. In the meantime, she can rent it out and increase her own income while living in my own house which it is my duty to provide.

If you cry come here in future say they don Kick you out na aziza I go use sweep this your mumu head and leg out.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Nobody: 12:52am On Nov 05, 2019
RisenPhoenix:

Spot on!!
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by okusebi(m): 1:05am On Nov 05, 2019
I think, if the couples are legally married, except there is a prenup that says otherwise, all properties belong to both parties regardless of whose name is on the documents. if there is a divorce, the properties will be shared accordingly based on their resolution. most Nigerian women really don't know their marital rights.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by DaddyGngeess(m): 1:18am On Nov 05, 2019
If she likes keep it in her name or not, when papa and mana don transit, na children get the whole thing, so nothing there...
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Newboss(m): 1:32am On Nov 05, 2019
Everyone should buy whatever they by in their own individual name. Whether man or woman. Never lose yourself in all these romantic nonsense. Be logical
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Deepthoughts: 2:12am On Nov 05, 2019
AXYZ:

My own principle be is simple,if a lady is more educated n exposed than me she is not for me,a lady richer than me is not for me,a lady too beautiful self is not for me, anybody can yab me ooh,but I have my reasons,if you doubt it ask eboue formerly of Arsenal.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by EgunMogaji2: 3:05am On Nov 05, 2019
AXYZ:

It’s a very good idea, especially in backasswards Nigeria with extended family issues.

Only a broke a$$ motherfryer would be intimidated by this.

I’m pretty sure that Dangote, Ote$ola, etc are not sitting around worrying about their wives properties.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by DameB(f): 3:06am On Nov 05, 2019
What happens to Linda Ikeji's properties when she marries?
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by IMASTEX: 3:07am On Nov 05, 2019
Florblu:
And i won't understand why most ladies(both married and single) do lie to their spouse to collect money. I mean if your spouse go bankruptcy you will suffer the loss together and if there is boom you will enjoy it together. So why do you have to lie?
You have spoken wisely generally. To the quote, distrust is one of the reason. I've seen a practical case where the man was struggling to build for the family with hesitating support from the woman. While she was secretly building hers without the husband knowing, with the usual excuse of no one knows tomorrow. Another reason, is where one party is highly unproductive. I did a transaction, that i instructed my wife to supervised as I was away. Time for crediting, the client called me for bank details. I simply told them, credit the person attending to you. I could figuratively see the look on his face via the phone. Even though, they knew who she was. He quoted the figure involved & asked do you want me to credit her. After the deal, spoke another day. And comments like. I really admire. . ..
Well, I might not also blame him totally, because I don't know why he couldn't be free with cash around his spouse, etc.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by DozieInc(m): 3:08am On Nov 05, 2019
Sanchez01:

My point is, your mindset reveals you have a space already reserved for 'wàhálà', particularly when your other half buys something solely in his name. Before it gets to that point, spend more time looking/talking for/about these stuff prior to marriage.

If you sit a male down and he tells you that he sees no reason why he should buy properties in both your names, then by all means bail or walk away to avoid future problems.

The idea of doing things seperately, particularly property related voids marriage design. I know some would claim 'anything can happen tomorrow'. The idea of 'anything can happen' in itself gives an idea that they are going into a lifetime commitment with a higher probability of bailing tomorrow.

I sincerely wonder what people discuss in courtship these days.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Ipodisacriminal: 3:10am On Nov 05, 2019
If it’s right for a man to buy car in his name

So it’s better the woman buys property in her name too

No big deal
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Ipodisacriminal: 3:12am On Nov 05, 2019
Deepthoughts:
My own principle be is simple,if a lady is more educated n exposed than me she is not for me,a lady richer than me is not for me,a lady too beautiful self is not for me, anybody can yab me ooh,but I have my reasons,if you doubt it ask eboue formerly of Arsenal.

Don’t be inferior bro

Even monkey aspire good for things

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

9-Year-Old Boy That Saved His 3-Year-Old Brother From Drowning In A Well (Video) / Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal. / Couples Not Staying Together

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.