Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,209 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? (23091 Views)

Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? / Is It Right For A Lady To Live Alone? / Is It Right For My Niece's Boyfriend To Visit Her In My House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by tonididdy(m): 3:55am On Nov 05, 2019
Well she must ensure to write a will in accordance too to avoid her parents or siblings wahala.

I support a woman to do as much as a man does so long she doesn't loose her good wife material qualities because some women will be hard to tame.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Juliearth(f): 5:22am On Nov 05, 2019
Florblu:
Well... It depends on the agreement between us. If he buys a property first and choose to put his name only, when I buy mine, it will definitely have my name ONLY.
But if I'm included as a co-owner, of course we can co-own mine too.

In a situation where I get a property before him, i will add his name to all papers and if he can't do the same when he buys his, then I might not wait for the next hour to remove his name from documents of my property. Since we both wants to be petty.

But really, regardless of whose money is/was used in buying a property, once we are married all funds/properties belongs to US.

And i won't understand why most ladies(both married and single) do lie to their spouse to collect money. I mean if your spouse go bankruptcy you will suffer the loss together and if there is boom you will enjoy it together. So why do you have to lie?

You just saved me the stress of typing.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by AXYZ: 6:06am On Nov 05, 2019
Deepthoughts:
My own principle be is simple,if a lady is more educated n exposed than me she is not for me,a lady richer than me is not for me,a lady too beautiful self is not for me, anybody can yab me ooh,but I have my reasons,if you doubt it ask eboue formerly of Arsenal.

Different strokes for different folks

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by AXYZ: 6:07am On Nov 05, 2019
RisenPhoenix:

Only an insecure man would question his wife's buying property with her money in her name. My wife bought land, I helped her register it solely in her name and am currently helping her to build a house on it; though the larger portion of the money is from her income. I see no issue with it at all. If I die, I would like to know that my wife and kids have a completely secure home that no one can contest with her. In the meantime, she can rent it out and increase her own income while living in my own house which it is my duty to provide.

Understanding matters
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by alexola20(m): 6:08am On Nov 05, 2019
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by AXYZ: 6:09am On Nov 05, 2019
Advancedman:

Any woman you paid bride price for or the marriage is categories by families and not an act by two consenting adults the man own the wife so anything in her name is taboo

What of if she's got bad inlaws, or she didn't give birth to a son, as some culture demands?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by femi4: 6:28am On Nov 05, 2019
The man was occupied with school fees, house rent ...the woman should give it a joint name
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:41am On Nov 05, 2019
AXYZ:
I saw a tweet (on twitter) from a certain Ronald Nzimora and later supported by his friend, Hon. Akin Alabi as regards the above subject (as attached).

Thus, I'm compelled to ask if it's actually right for a WIFE to own properties in HER name.

1. What if the wife is richer and kept everything in her name. Don't you feel the husband will feel 'detached' and maybe unhappy?

2. What if the husband is richer and kept all the properties in his name. Don't you feel the wife will feel 'detached' and maybe unhappy?

PS. My wife and I work, and are financially independent of each other. She's been supportive
though and we buy properties in our names, e.g. Mr Kenneth Cole and Mrs Grace Cole. This is rational and not abnormal.

Your wife/husband cant richer than you because your are meant to be one person i.e lets say you are civil married married by law, your assets are considered as couples assets regardless the wife is a housewife in the event you lose the house

the wife and kids gets affected hence, there is nothing like his property or her property in civil married couple, except in special cirumstances
like properties are in family trust or business names and shares of the business owned by also other people than yourself and that house belong to their business

but yes wife can properites in her name if you both agree to fo it openly between the two of you

most african own properties behind hubby's back due biased traditional way of distributing of an estate when hubby dies

becoz of greedy hubby family takes everything and kick out the widow, so most wives go behind hubby buy a property in her name to secure house in the event hubby dies 1st and his family takes everything

then the other side is, wife would want to uplift her side family but they dont tell hubby and when
hubby finds out he rushes to
conclude simply the wife kept her idea as secret instead of being open, that wish to uplift her own family

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by sharone21(f): 6:45am On Nov 05, 2019
jaxxy:
Yes and No. it depends on the circumstances and the reason she’s doing it. Smtmes it’s not about not trusting u bt protecting and securing herself and kids against in-laws invasions in future. I think

In this part of the world in-laws encroach alot into their siblings property smtmes for good and other times for bad depending on the type of wife or in-laws in question.
Very good response also, if the man marries a second wife or divorces his wife leaving her with nothing/or very small change....women like to be secure with their kids.....it is not ideal though and TRUST means a lot in marriage.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by crackhaus: 6:49am On Nov 05, 2019
Odunharry:

Lmao.. Funny but true.
Very true man.
The tone of the thread has made most of the females agree with the concept. But create another topic about how husbands should make sure they buy all their properties in their own name only, and these same chics will start crying blood.

Personally, I love the concept.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by sharone21(f): 6:55am On Nov 05, 2019
crackhaus:

Very true man.
The tone of the thread has made most of the females agree with the concept. But create another topic about how husbands should make sure they buy all their properties in their own name only, and these same chics will start crying blood.

Yes, because women lose a lot just to be married....she has to GIVE her life (if possible) through death and life child bearing this is apart from each child taking up to 5yrs of her life before he can be a bit 'independent' to walk to a nearby school....women SERVE a lot in marriage so, no sane woman would want to be in a 'cheated' relationship and thus would voice out.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Odunharry(m): 6:55am On Nov 05, 2019
crackhaus:

Very true man.

I'm telling you. I don't have a problem when a lady buys properties in her name, infact many of them should do incase things go wrong in the future, bit they shouldn't scream murder if the husband do the same thing.

I posted a pix sometimes where an HR officer was suprised and ask why women don't use their husband as NOK but majority of men uses their wives.
Won't be surprise if many of them do the same thing since property is involved.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by crackhaus: 7:10am On Nov 05, 2019
Odunharry:

I'm telling you. I don't have a problem when a lady buys properties in her name, infact many of them should do incase things go wrong in the future, bit they shouldn't scream murder if the husband do the same thing.

I posted a pix sometimes where an HR officer was suprised and ask why women don't use their husband as NOK but majority of men uses their wives.
Yup, I think I was on that thread.

My own is, do only what you can take being done to you.

If wives like, they can use their dead grandmother as NOK for all I care...as long as they don't scream blue murder when husbands skip them the same way.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by crackhaus: 7:15am On Nov 05, 2019
sharone21:

Yes, because women lose a lot just to be married....she has to GIVE her life (if possible) through death and life child bearing this is apart from each child taking up to 5yrs of her life before he can be a bit 'independent' to walk to a nearby school....women SERVE a lot in marriage so, no sane woman would want to be in a 'cheated' relationship and thus would voice out.
Okay, correct me in case I'm wrong.

Your point is, it's okay for wives to buy properties in their own name BUT it's cheating if a husband buys solely in his name. No?
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by AvalonSpace(m): 7:57am On Nov 05, 2019
His sister might have had bad experience where she was married. He's writing from experience!
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Osyxcel(m): 8:02am On Nov 05, 2019
Odunharry:

A lot of men too don't use their wives. Rather, they use their children. This is ignorance on their part because NOK is not the same as beneficiary in Nigeria.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Lamanii22(f): 8:24am On Nov 05, 2019
plasgidy:

Then you have no business with a man and marriage, you should keep hold of your property and stay off marriage cos marriage has a rule and guide if you are not ready to abide by that rule then what on earth are you looking for a man in your life for?

The bible says when husband and wife are joined together they becomes one not two, if you have properties before and after marriage is for both of you not yours alone now this is applicable to the man too. Any thing away from this will bring suspicion.

I'm not disputing your facts... But my properties would remain in my name, his properties should remain in his name... It is that simple... I'm actually doing it cause of our children... I will now change it to his name and then he would now marry somebody else... Ha! Never... my dad betrayed my mom... So I ain't doing that shii...
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Lamanii22(f): 8:26am On Nov 05, 2019
joelsky:

you sound like a troublemaker anyway.... i hope your future husband sees this!

I'm not a troublemaker... I'm just talking based on experience... Your properties should be in your name... My properties would be in my name... It is that simple....

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Lamanii22(f): 8:31am On Nov 05, 2019
Jhamzy:

I will advice you not to marry who you don't truly love and trust. Discuss issues like this extensively before getting into marriage.

Even if I love and trust you... I cannot put my properties in your name.... Y'all should reason this well... Not like I'm wicked or don't love my husband... I'm doing this for the sake of our children...
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by adekS1(m): 9:04am On Nov 05, 2019
I av long vacate myself from nairaland family section cos of the kind of ppl and their kind of ideology. Won't want my home destroyed.

Ppl mindset are often geared towards breakup and divorce not towards happiness in homes
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by godofuck231: 9:15am On Nov 05, 2019
kunleweb:
Hmm

This is a serious matter. I need your take OK the subject matter my fellow elders. What do you think about this issue Sirs

Cc Daddytime Belafonte Pansophist
any woman who eels a property to her father's name isn't wise and any who does with her husband is not , properties are a resource for the family if not then she shouldn't get married and have his children , she should keep it for her family , the best she could do is have the property in her sons name , at that point making securing the estate to her child and not the man, Men who have had wives cheating realised use of funds from personal resources, even using her own house to camp her gigolos.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by AXYZ: 9:24am On Nov 05, 2019
ZIMDRILL:

Your wife/husband cant richer than you because your are meant to be one person i.e lets say you are civil married married by law, your assets are considered as couples assets regardless the wife is a housewife in the event you lose the house

Technically
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Odunharry(m): 9:35am On Nov 05, 2019
Osyxcel:

A lot of men too don't use their wives. Rather, they use their children. This is ignorance on their part because NOK is not the same as beneficiary in Nigeria.
Lmao. Alot of newly wedded or those without a child(ren) still use their wives.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Jhamzy(m): 10:02am On Nov 05, 2019
Not bad sha. But I know that in 90% of the cases, the properties of both couples still belongs to the children. So they are still on the same page.
Lamanii22:

Even if I love and trust you... I cannot put my properties in your name.... Y'all should reason this well... Not like I'm wicked or don't love my husband... I'm doing this for the sake of our children...

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Lamanii22(f): 10:21am On Nov 05, 2019
Jhamzy:
Not bad sha. But I know that in 90% of the cases, the properties of both couples still belongs to the children. So they are still on the same page.

Yes... Thank you... That's what I am saying.... Wagbayii...

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by bayulll011(m): 10:43am On Nov 05, 2019
Florblu:
Well... It depends on the agreement between us. If he buys a property first and choose to put his name only,

And i won't understand why most ladies(both married and single) do lie to their spouse to collect money. I mean if your spouse go bankruptcy you will suffer the loss together and if there is boom you will enjoy it together. So why do you have to lie?

Unintelligent soul imagine a Rep of the federal house also in caught in the poor judgement.
God will not allow me to marry a woman that see her property or money as her own.

same i will never marry a woman that we cannot share the same property name i refuse ijn
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Nobody: 11:21am On Nov 05, 2019
plasgidy:

If you cry come here in future say they don Kick you out na aziza I go use sweep this your mumu head and leg out.

Lol. We are currently staying in my own house, so if there's going to be any kicking out getting done, I'm the one doing it. Thanks for the concern though.

I am an avid proponent of my money is mine and her money is hers; aside from my additional manly duty to feed and sustain the family. Afterall, not all marriages last for life. It is easier to split up later if you kept the respective finances seperate from the beginning.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by omoharry(f): 11:28am On Nov 05, 2019
Sanchez01:

My point is, your mindset reveals you have a space already reserved for 'wàhálà', particularly when your other half buys something solely in his name. Before it gets to that point, spend more time looking/talking for/about these stuff prior to marriage.

If you sit a male down and he tells you that he sees no reason why he should buy properties in both your names, then by all means bail or walk away to avoid future problems.

The idea of doing things seperately, particularly property related voids marriage design. I know some would claim 'anything can happen tomorrow'. The idea of 'anything can happen' in itself gives an idea that they are going into a lifetime commitment with a higher probability of bailing tomorrow.

I sincerely wonder what people discuss in courtship these days.
Even the bible says we should guard our heart with all diligent for out of it flow the issues of life"..She is referring to while she is married and not before it..Of cos one would bail out from any relationship where either of the party is self centered .

Now in a situation while you are blissfully married and the man or woman pulls that kind of stunt, what would you have her do? purchase a property and include the mans name too? Some people are wired differently when it comes to their properties. They can be lovey-dovey all the way but not when their properties are involve.

In this situation it is better they both have their properties and include their spouses and children as their next of kin. It does not change anything, nor does it mean they do not love each other. My grand aunt and her husband had this same arrangement with their properties and their marriage lasted for 50 years. They are late now and their children inherited both properties. Couples should discuss this among themselves and practice what ever work for them, as long as there is openness in whatever they do, I dont think there will be any issue..we too dey attach sentiment to things for Naija sha.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by omoharry(f): 11:51am On Nov 05, 2019
PHIPEX:
That one is no more a wife but a competitor. This whole thing stems from lack of trust in a family. Does it mean because my wife's name is not in my car particulars she can not go to court to claim it in my absence? Are we saying this applies to the chairs, TVs Fridge or is it only for landed property?

This kind of advice create artificial problems in homes in the name of civilisation. If the wife should own a property in order to will it to the children, what different does it make if the husband wills same property to same children?
It now depend on the environment where this stuff happens. Like in the East and some SS states, if anything happens to the man, (God forbid) his family will come and fight the woman over properties especially when there is no will to protect the woman and her children. Women are not seen as fit to own properties in those regions and some other society in Nigeria. What about if the woman has only girls with no male child and she wishes for her daughters to inherit her properties without some stupid tradition getting in the way. There are many injustice against woman especially when the husband is deceased, so it is good for the woman to have some form of security in her name against any unforeseen events.Women (especially when they are educated)have more liberties in the cities to fight for their late husbands properties than other less civilized society where these injustice is still being practiced.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by paix(m): 12:07pm On Nov 05, 2019
I think it is wise she keeps the property in her name, because men can be funny at times. How is she sure that the husband doesn't have another wife elsewhere? Is it when he dies that that other woman would come and reap where she did not sow? It should be her choice absolutely, to have it joint or personalised.
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Nov 05, 2019
Sensitive topic
Re: Is It Right For A Wife To Keep Properties In Her Name? by johnad3(m): 12:15pm On Nov 05, 2019
if she use her money to acquire it, for me no qualms

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

9-Year-Old Boy That Saved His 3-Year-Old Brother From Drowning In A Well (Video) / Couples Not Staying Together / Gender Inequality: Why Things Won't Be Normal.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.