Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,733 members, 7,959,266 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 01:15 PM

Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? (25310 Views)

My Dad Shouldn't Receive My Bride Price / My Husband Paid N580K For My Bride Price But Refused To Help My Family Members. / Bride Price Collection Is Big Business In Some Parts Of Nigeria (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by Yoighaman(m): 6:33pm On Nov 11, 2019
@OP, this is my opinion but I might be wrong.

To me, your 'family' are those who were part of your life, those who were there through thick & thin, those on whose shoulders your tears dropped when you were in despair feeling lonely, down and out, those who encouraged you and gave your life a meaning. When truly important moments in your life come, they are the ones who are not only entitled but deserve to share them with you, they have shown you nothing but love, you love them too and those moments are opportunities to prove it to them. That said, if you believe deep down within you that your father is who you really want, then please go for it, your conscience can sometimes be your judge, please stick your ears close to her. I wish you all the best.

2 Likes

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by abbey621(m): 6:34pm On Nov 11, 2019
QuintessentialW:

Yes, I was told plenty. But fortunately, I heard from both sides. I heard my mum's side... I heard my father's. I always try to be objective and rational in whatever I do. My father had no justification. It didn't all make sense when I was a child... but things became clearer as I grew older.

Funny thing is, my mum never turned us against father. She was always accomodating. She sorely wished he had stayed even if he wouldn't foot the bills. When I first said I wanted to know my village and go find my dad, my mum was alive. She didn't stop me. Mum was everything ideal and sweet. She simply had sore luck with the man she married. But God knows best.

Yes God knows best which is why you must not be judge and executioner. Don't take revenge for soemthing you had no control of, don't keep a grudge for something beyond your undertsanding. Even if the man was not in anyway a good father, don't you think the fact that he had something to do with you coimg to this world deserves acknowledgment? In the past week can you count how many sins you committed knowingly or unknowingly? Why hasn't God struck you down? If he can forgive surely you can find a space in your heart for this man that has clearly erred, surely you can show him that love trumps hate or neglect? I've seen so much of this world to know that it is much more beyond what we see, I wish you best of luck!

4 Likes

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by vickydevoka(m): 6:42pm On Nov 11, 2019
To be honest, how do u want your father to be taking full responsibility without living with u guys. Only in abroad such is easy bcus of court order.
He must have gotten married to sum1 else whom he his taking care of (the wife n children)

1 Like

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Nov 11, 2019
musicwriter:

There's nothing wrong with African traditions. Its white people that have convinced you so...

On the other hand, in Africa, we adopted alien views and practices, and today that's what is suffocating us to death. Today, you're a victim of this alien practices and you don't even know!. We suffer because we have digested poison and its killing us now.

What am I trying to tell you? Its actually our adoption of alien reality and disregard for ours that have put us at the bottom of the chain, not the other way round. Why am I sure? Because all the countries that rejected alien traditions from Europeans developed.

Note that when someone has provided you everything, he has also automatically disallowed you from doing humanly mundane tasks yourself. The end result is dependency, self incapacitation, self defeat, inferiority complex, which have caused you to distrust yourself.

It is in your competition in nature, doing things yourself and in your own way that you actually learn and transform it better than others. The reason we suffer in Africa is because we have adopted an alien perception of reality. Thus, are unable to understand ourselves and the solution to our problems.

I leave you with the below documentary about Europeans coming to Japan 15th century to 19th century. Any African that doesn't learn a thing a two from the below is a fool.

History of the Japanese Empire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x0HAUxAT7Y

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by onyiibogus(f): 7:12pm On Nov 11, 2019
Please your dad should be the one to receive your bride price

1 Like

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by Emotionss: 7:13pm On Nov 11, 2019
[color=#006600][/color]
QuintessentialW:

Yes, I think about that commandment oftentimes. But in all fairness, I've been really good to him inspite of everything. I've been the peacemaker trying to get my siblings to forgive him.

But for that marriage part, for some reasons, I just don't want to go to the village... nor do I want him walking me down the aisle.

I'll really consider born2breed's advice.

You don't have to go to the village for the traditional marriage but I think for your own good and peace of mind let your father have the bride price. He may be useless but have it in mind that without him you wouldn't be in existence. Don't underrate a father's blessings even if it's coming from an irresponsible one.

Regardless of how you feel about him you owe him two things.

your bride price (onless he doesn't want it) and his funeral ( weather you like it or not)

4 Likes

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by extremelygolden: 7:15pm On Nov 11, 2019
For posterity sake my sister, let the bride price be paid to that undeserving father of yours and do a little traditional rite that will involve one or two of your siblings and your paternal family.
No canopy, no music, no wasting of money entertaining them.

If I were you, I will even present my husband as a Youth Corper or a Final Year student in one the Universities. In fact that's the reason we're doing everything in low key because he doesn't even have money. I won't hire a photographer. My siblings will take us pictures with their phone. Don't give an impression there's going to be another wedding afterwards.

When you get back to your base, my sister, organise your dream wedding where none of your paternal family and village people will be in attendance. And this is where you'll give your maternal uncle and mummy's relatives all the honour they deserve. And your uncle, of course, will walk you down the aisle, unless he personally delegates your brothers to do it.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by tete7000(m): 7:29pm On Nov 11, 2019
QuintessentialW:

Yes, I think about that commandment oftentimes. But in all fairness, I've been really good to him inspite of everything. I've been the peacemaker trying to get my siblings to forgive him.

But for that marriage part, for some reasons, I just don't want to go to the village... nor do I want him walking me down the aisle.

I read something attributed to mother Teresa yesterday and it has been ringing in my ears since, I guess it is good I leave this with you. It goes thus "Love shouldn't satisfy itself with doing the indispensable minimum, but must do the maximum possible". If you have done so much, you can do much more, just for love and when I say love, I mean "God is Love and all who love abides in God and God in them". The scripture says when it is within your means try to offend no one.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by Tirexy(m): 7:50pm On Nov 11, 2019
No o, make dem pack ham go give another person papa.
Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Nov 11, 2019
Gurumaharaji:
Regina Daniels father doesn't even know she get married.... so ur responsible Uncle dat train u can conveniently act as ur father during d occasion
not in my state, Edo. Gather your beef all you want if you don't do your traditional marriage with your paternal people around you are still single and your children will pay your bride price before you're buried when you die

1 Like

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Nov 11, 2019
Ishilove:
Aunty, your father is a sperm donor. He cannot reap where he didn't sow.

As Yondu told Star Lord- "He may be your father, but he sure ain't your daddy"

You don't have to go to the village. You can do your wedding anywhere in the world because states are mere geographical expressions. It is the people that make up the village, not vice versa.

It is good that you didn't abandon your father in his old age, and you have honoured him by seeking him out and making your peace with him as the scriptures commanded, but he is NOT entitled to any kind of special treatment or recognition because he gave up the right the day he turned his back on you and your family and passed his responsibilities to other people. Those other people are the ones who should be honoured on your special day.
stop running mouth about things you know nothing about. The father is a joke, agreed
Lilbest3:
not in my state, Edo. Gather your beef all you want if you don't do your traditional marriage with your paternal people around you are still single and your children will pay your bride price before you're buried when you die

1 Like

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by yeyeosoronga: 8:09pm On Nov 11, 2019
vickydevoka:
To be honest, how do u want your father to be taking full responsibility without living with u guys. Only in abroad such is easy bcus of court order.
He must have gotten married to sum1 else whom he his taking care of (the wife n children)

He can always pay their school fees, help them fill jamb form and just be there for his children . Even ordinary phone calls go a long way.
A man should not abandon his children because he is remarried and has started raising another family.

5 Likes

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by purpleicious(f): 8:09pm On Nov 11, 2019
Same situation as yours or should I say worst; my grandfather walked me down the aisle cause he has always been there for me since in my sixth month.

5 Likes

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by musicwriter(m): 8:21pm On Nov 11, 2019
merahki:

Thank you!!!
Thank you my sister.

1 Like

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by dfrost: 8:43pm On Nov 11, 2019
QuintessentialW:

Haba nau. Witches and satan ke! shocked

Laugh wan kill me here. Awon religious warlords don enter your matter, sharp sharp. cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 11, 2019
QuintessentialW:

Well, my uncle's position is not from the selfish angle.

He feels my dad doesn't mean well for us. And he explained that depending on the type of family I'm marrying into, they may want to oppress me in future because given my father's non-existent role in my life, I might as well be an orphan.

His offering to stand in as father is for the sake of solidarity... so the husband and in-laws realise that I have a solid family, too. Because in truth, without my maternal family, I'm as good as an orphan.
Ur uncle can't stand as a father to u. Don't let emotions cloud your judgement for posterity sake. We all have been there and know the implications when things go south.
Instead,let your brother represent your father.
U can bless your uncle any other way. And no, he isn't doing that for the sake of solidarity. It's not his calling, girl. Be wise as serpent. U are the one entering into this family and not your uncle. He knows the right thing and should do it. You are not yet married and he has this entitlement mentality. I wonder what happens next. Because he trained you?
Many have been trained by uncle's so it didn't start and end with your uncle.

My only anger with your uncle is him trying to make u feel guilty not to do the right thing. That's being clingy.
Sorry but families hold traditions of their land sacred. Either U do it or forget it. In this case, as u want to do it, do the right thing. Pls do the right thing. In 5 to 8 yrs time, u will be glad u listened to voice of reason.
Congrats once again.

3 Likes

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by Samsonklin(m): 9:08pm On Nov 11, 2019
I hope my dad dies by the time I start counting billions amen.
Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by ctleurocollege: 9:11pm On Nov 11, 2019
Whosoever stood up as a father for you whether an uncle or friend is the one you should recognize as your father
Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by vickydevoka(m): 9:12pm On Nov 11, 2019
yeyeosoronga:

He can always pay their school fees, help them fill jamb form and just be there for his children . Even ordinary phone calls go a long way.
A man should not abandon his children because he is remarried and has started raising another family.
It's easier said than done. If I want to divorce I will take some of the kids, if we are having 4, will split it into two. By that way it will make me keep in abreast with them
Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by Enemyofpeace: 9:27pm On Nov 11, 2019
Op I know how you feel, but that's the tradition and it's only a few hours affairs let him do whatever the tradition says and move on with your life. Some fathers are just useless when it comes to parenting

2 Likes

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by Enemyofpeace: 9:29pm On Nov 11, 2019
Samsonklin:
I hope my dad dies by the time I start counting billions amen.
his sperm that made you will haunt you o
Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by Donsamie(m): 9:39pm On Nov 11, 2019
My dear this life is too short to live it with regret. I am not here to give you long story but always know that two wrongs have never make any right,should you act against your father in Anyway on this TOPIC you brought here today you are not different,even you are worse than your father.
everything put together how much are we talking here that won't finish before June next year that will make you insult yourself before your husband's people and your kindred

beside your husband will be afraid of you because as a man i am, we see such lady as wicked,heartless,unforgivable. He may be calm now because you are still fresh to him but sooner than you expect he will start using words reference to your own past action on your father,even within his people gossip will be going on.
You can always take care of your uncle as many times as both of you live here on earth.
Even if that's the only thing you will be doing for your father believe me it worth it than discarding your old man in public before his people/your people like that,you can never be happy in your marriage because they will come for you.

2 Likes

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Nov 11, 2019
Anyone can walk you down the aisle, but let your father receive the bride price except he didn't pay that of your mum.

2 Likes

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by TGM2015: 9:43pm On Nov 11, 2019
QuintessentialW:

Your issue is solved with the statement in bold face. Give honor to your father by taking your husband-to-be to him where he currently reside (whether in village or not, where he currently reside). Before then discuss with your father and asked him how much he would collect as your bride price. Let your husband-to-be hand it over to him on the day of visit maybe with a drink. Let your father knows he is paying the bride price on the first visit.

You can then go to registry with your maternal family for marriage registration, Church/Mosque for God's blessings and do reception anyhow you want it, better outside your maternal village.

You know your Father and Uncle better, you should be able to know how to table things to them with wisdom such that the worst will be that they reluctantly agree with you. To your father, you really do not need to tell him whole truth, but half truth. So that he will not in future say you lied. Telling half truth is saying the exact thing that (will) happen but holding back important clause/phase/aspect of your narration. Like telling someone that you will be going out early the next day to visit some friends. Only to travel from Lagos to Edo, then to PH, before flying to Abuja to return 3 days later. I actually have a brother that is in habit of doing this. You surely need to diplomatic with your father while maintaining action that speaks that you appreciate and respect your maternal people.

Good luck to you.

4 Likes

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by baby124: 9:51pm On Nov 11, 2019
What is your fiancé’s position on this issue? I will advise you to let your brothers stand in for your paternal side of the family and collect the bride price on your “father’s” behalf. While your uncle walks you down the isle. Just form story that your dad can’t make it. Inform your dad though that you are getting married and settle him with some money to cover his list. Chikena!

When one of my younger sisters got married after my father died, it was my brothers that collected the bride price and even made the list. Not any other paternal member because, they are idiots. After all my brothers represent the paternal side of our family Na abi?

1 Like

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by ahnie: 9:58pm On Nov 11, 2019
Booths my sister in-law had theirs in my house without the presence of kinsmen from dia paternal side
Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by nan1: 10:28pm On Nov 11, 2019
My dear I understand you and know the pains you might have been thru but not withstanding give to ceaser what belongs to ceaser bride price is the least of things at a wedding let him collect it but you mustn't do the wedding in the village any location is ok with few relatives

2 Likes

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by RedDistrict: 10:33pm On Nov 11, 2019
You mentioned sending him money once once

You can monetize the bride price and swnd to him and then do your wedding anywhere you want with anyone you like walking you down the isle

1 Like

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by Ace16(m): 10:40pm On Nov 11, 2019
fineboynl:
grin no matter how irresponsible your dad his. whether he take responsibility or responsible for your grow up. you most understand that their is family bloodline and concept to issues like marriage. if you're a religious person you should know that Satan has a right and you can't temper or hold what belong to Satan and expect him not to react.

bride price is not for your father both the eiders in the family. he's only role is agreement and acceptance by collecting and handle to the village elders and your village witches.

without this you are only inviting your village witches and Satan into your marriage. as the road is open for them already so they will come in through your father disagreement or not acknowledgment to it.

its one of the reasons why children from broken homes always encountered broken homes. because the foundation and doors are always open for Satan the devil.

also why many spiritual cautions people will not want to marry from a broken home. it always have the open doors for Satan.

Whoever gave u this notion abt wat u wrote up there has done so much harm to u.. whoever u r, better go and renew ur mind and get ursef free from d shackles of d devil.. I’m trying to figure out the kind of life u r living with this kind of information u have in ur head.. smh

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by Ishilove: 10:58pm On Nov 11, 2019
Lilbest3:
stop running mouth about things you know nothing about. The father is a joke, agreed
You are very silly. You people just talk anyhow because you think this is an anonymous forum. Anu ugboko.

1 Like

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by Divine200: 2:09am On Nov 12, 2019
Acidosis:
Your father's attitude is shaped by his belief systems. It's a common thing for SOME Urhobo men to be irresponsible. That land is by large the only place in Nigeria where old women ride bicycle, farm heavily, and fry garri all day while their men tie wrapper, sit with dry gin and Punch Newspaper! Forgive him, he wasn't exposed enough to discard that belief system.

Not a must to involve him in your life and marriage, but find a way to deliver the bride price to him. His presence isn't necessarily needed to make that happen. As per walking down the aisle, who cares really? Shebi na who wan do white man wedding will care about a British tradition.
Please read well! The man in question is not Urhobo.

1 Like

Re: Must My Father Be The One To Receive My Bride Price? by suceess(m): 5:47am On Nov 12, 2019
The glory of the children are their fathers. Let your biological father received your dowry and receive his blessing too.

Leave him with God on failure of his responsibilities, carry your maternal uncle along and let him understand that you needs your father blessings in your life. You don't pay evil with evil but with good.

Let him walk you to the aisle too. Most men are senseless when it comes to fulfilment of their responsibilities but when it comes for collection of their rights they can go any length for it.

Try to forgive him and let your brothers too forgive him.Imagine if your mom still alive, she will not denied him his rights as your father. Just be wise like your mom. God be with you and blessed your marriage.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

14 Years After, I Saw The Man That Molested Me / My Mother Wants To Throw Me Into Bankruptcy / Newstead Makmond Boss, Evang Obue, Wife Welcome Twins After Some Years (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.