Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,162 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:11 AM

White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? (20565 Views)

How Much Did You Save Before Quitting Your Salary Job For Your Own Business? / Lady Quits Her £50k Job To Start Her Own Business, Buys Her 1st House At 25 / Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by tfash200: 9:37pm On Nov 11, 2019
Starting your own business comes with alot of challenges compared to the lecturing job. As an entrepreneur I would advice you first take the lecturing job use it as a starting point while you get some skeleton of the business you like to venture into.

The economy of Nigeria today doesn't really support startup, the dependency are much. Talking about getting married by 30, it depends on your personality but never rush into anything so you dont rush out. It's always easier said than done.

Start the lecturing job, while you layout a map for your business so you could have a root not just any shaky business. Ask yourself can I face the challenge ges of being self employed...

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 11, 2019
dukeprince50:
Good day nairalanders.

I am in my final year and about to defend my project, My HOD called me few months ago and told me my school has plans to retain me.

My CGPA was good so I was not really surprised but the problem is that for the past three years I have bin thinking of starting my own business and grow my wealth, I have bin thinking of becoming financially independed and has decided that I'll not need a Job.

I somehow fancy the lifestyle of doing whatever I want to, going to work when I want to, closing from work when i want to, going for vacation when I want to and do not really like the idea of doing what others want me to.

But there is no capital right now and I have told my dad to raise me something which he said he doesn't have, though I have little savings which I could use to start something very small.

So my question is, should I accept the Job knowing that immediately I start seeing salary, I could forget my dreams, that fear keeps ringing or should I just start with the little knowing that it won't be enough for me at the moment but there is 100% hope I'll grow.

The fear is I am 26now, plan on getting married at 30(This is a must and cannot be compromised) cos I want to marry and just rest so I could chase my goal which from my own calculations could take another 25-30yrs of my life.

so I'll need to feed more mouth, but I can't tell if I'll be able to add one more mouth at my 30 but if I become a lecturer, I'll not have a problem.
I do not want to do the both. I just want to focus on my goals or the Job. Just humble opinion.

Take the job so you can raise a start-up capital for your intended business part-time while you continue to acquire some important business skills like simple accounting, marketing, and general operations . Only when your business has become more demanding you can quit your job and go full time on it.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Tenblade: 9:39pm On Nov 11, 2019
Pavillon:
in a nutshell, u are contemplating on rejecting the job offer( lecturer) for a biz which u dont even have capital and dont know where to get capital and also considering your 4yrs plan?

nlander, What do we say to the god of Unemployment and hunger?

Lol. Not today
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Crixxx: 9:40pm On Nov 11, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

I'm almost sure that 90% of businesses don't make 30k monthly.

Its funny this is coming from a Nigerian..
Even provision stores make way more than that.. Your profit depends on a lot of factors.. You only need to be business wise.. And like they say "they use money to chase money"
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 11, 2019
Keziehenry:
Grab the job pls especially if it is a federal one.
Jobs from the Federal are for lazy people: you go to work any time and any day you like. Some of them go to work 8 days in a month!
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by wiseworld: 9:47pm On Nov 11, 2019
EXLOVER:
If you don't patience don't think of business o, people cashing out on business, if them tell you things they went through during the start you nor go believe. They are some business you will do you won't see market for one week, you will think you're in the wrong lane, but no it's patience.

And another if you want to do business, do something you have knowledge on, and not because you see people doing it and making profit from it.

I like what you just said......
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by nkemjacob2(m): 9:50pm On Nov 11, 2019
I will advice before entering into entrepreneurship. U must be prepared for the worst and equip urself with lots of information
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Engrr(m): 9:50pm On Nov 11, 2019
I guess you want to inform is indirectly that your school want to retain you!
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by dukeprince50: 10:06pm On Nov 11, 2019
Engrr:
I guess you want to inform is indirectly that your school want to retain you!
There is a lot of things I could boast of, not a job. thanks 4 ur comment though.

Lalasticlala, seun, mynd44, Dominique, I want to delete the entire thread or close it, I already have enough responses.
I wanted to modify and remove the "retain" part and just put a lecturing job but I can't modify it, don't know why, pls delete the thread.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Ronline(m): 10:33pm On Nov 11, 2019
emddi:
If it's passion for wealth,then don't do entrepreneurship.But if it is passion for solving a problem,then go for it.
The truth is you make more money when you have passion for solving problems than passion for wealth
Thanks...
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by joepepsy(m): 3:18am On Nov 12, 2019
I tire o.
Officialgarri:
You already gave us what you think of your business, and and the disadvantages of working under someone, yet you are asking us to discourage you
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by nnamdi65(m): 5:12am On Nov 12, 2019
Hello bro, I'm also 26.

We in this middle 20s age always have this problem of tackling how we will make it in life. ESpecially when we have fix marriage plans at 30 to be compulsory.

I will seriously advise you first grab the lecturing Job opportunity. (this does not still kill your dreams of owning a business) while lecturing, develop a heavy saving culture. You can even open two account, one for your future business Savings the other for future marriage and family upkeep. I do this.

I'm 26, and just a Teller, I've been a teller for over 3yr but now I own a house (small 2bedroom) and have saved enough to start up good business from With the little web design business I do, during weekend + salaries. It's really helps a lot. So I'm just saying u can grab the lecture work, after few years of saving u can start up a business in a gradual but steady phase. And marriage will he added at that right time you desired.

Hope this help.

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by ImaIma1(f): 5:56am On Nov 12, 2019
dukeprince50:
Good day nairalanders.

I am in my final year and about to defend my project and would likely have a lecturing job after graduation.

My CGPA was good so I was not really surprised but the problem is that for the past three years I have bin thinking of starting my own business and grow my wealth, I have bin thinking of becoming financially independed and has decided that I'll not need a Job.

I somehow fancy the lifestyle of doing whatever I want to, going to work when I want to, closing from work when i want to, going for vacation when I want to and do not really like the idea of doing what others want me to.

But there is no capital right now and I have told my dad to raise me something which he said he doesn't have, though I have little savings which I could use to start something very small.

So my question is, should I accept the Job knowing that immediately I start seeing salary, I could forget my dreams, that fear keeps ringing or should I just start with the little knowing that it won't be enough for me at the moment but there is 100% hope I'll grow.

The fear is I am 26now, plan on getting married at 30(This is a must and cannot be compromised) cos I want to marry and just rest so I could chase my goal which from my own calculations could take another 25-30yrs of my life.

so I'll need to feed more mouth, but I can't tell if I'll be able to add one more mouth at my 30 but if I become a lecturer, I'll not have a problem.
I do not want to do the both. I just want to focus on my goals or the Job. Just humble opinion.

I advise that you work in an organized setting first and see how things work instead of just jumping from school to business. Get educated on a job!

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 8:02am On Nov 12, 2019
Coldie:
Start a business and still get your job. Business is unpredictable. You need a back up source of funds

But a job is even more unpredictable.
Late salaries and you can be sacked at anytime even via text.

Job security- oxymoron.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by dukeprince50: 8:27am On Nov 12, 2019
nnamdi65:
Hello bro, I'm also 26.

We in this middle 20s age always have this problem of tackling how we will make it in life. ESpecially when we have fix marriage plans at 30 to be compulsory.

I will seriously advise you first grab the lecturing Job opportunity. (this does not still kill your dreams of owning a business) while lecturing, develop a heavy saving culture. You can even open two account, one for your future business Savings the other for future marriage and family upkeep. I do this.

I'm 26, and just a Teller, I've been a teller for over 3yr but now I own a house (small 2bedroom) and have saved enough to start up good business from With the little web design business I do, during weekend + salaries. It's really helps a lot. So I'm just saying u can grab the lecture work, after few years of saving u can start up a business in a gradual but steady phase. And marriage will he added at that right time you desired.

Hope this help.

26 and u av ur own house? I envy u bro
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Ajibade123(m): 8:35am On Nov 12, 2019
take the white collar job cos you have to gather experience before venturing into your business

see why knowledge is so important even in your business
https://explicitsuccess.com/importance-of-business-knowledge/
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Unie30: 9:05am On Nov 12, 2019
Get the job, save and invest in your own business. I am currently building my own business too, and as soon as am done, I will quite to be a boss.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 11:09am On Nov 12, 2019
dukeprince50:
I want to start a business I av knowledge of, I do not know even the fundamentals of blogging.
Remember we are talking about money here bro, blogging Business is The fastest way for you to make it in life
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Icequeen94(f): 12:02pm On Nov 12, 2019
Hello, making a career decision most times can be quite frustrating but for your situation, i must say its really easy.
Starting up your own business is perfect but apart from the fact that you dont have capital yet, i think you need to know what it feels like working with others, you need that experience because it will help you learn how to work with people and manage a team when you finally have your own business.
Secondly, how do you intend raising the capital since your parents dont have? For me, i dont think depending on anyone, borrowing or begging is a good idea, i believe in working hard for what i want. About the fear of forgetting your dreams, that is never possible as long as you have passion for those dreams, no matter how much you are paid, if you want to chase those dreams, "you will" even while working. So i advise you take the job, and start working towards achieveing those dreams of yours. But dont forget that you need to learn how to save also. There are so many high paying entry level jobs you can get depending on your location and qualification. You can check for the salaries of lecturers here so that you will be able to negotiate properly.
dukeprince50:
Good day nairalanders.

I am in my final year and about to defend my project and would likely have a lecturing job after graduation.

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Basiljoe: 12:48pm On Nov 12, 2019
ornicus:
Bill Gates knew exactly what he was going to do when he dropped out of college. Micheal dell was already building and selling computers. They had a vision. All you have is the usual empty nonsense of not working for anyone, be your own boss.

You have not once alluded to the 'business' you plan on doing. All you have is the usual childish fantasies about being self employed.

Are you actually doing something that demonstrably makes money?

Are you sure you actually have a high cgpa?
High cgpa in naija way na.

La cram la pour. Copy and paste without understanding.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by chrismymen(m): 1:03pm On Nov 12, 2019
You are a young man who is pregnant with ideas and dreams. My opinion is pick is an opportunity to save and mature financially. Why doing you Job, study more on your area of interest develop plan and strategy A,B,C,D. You can plan to work 5 or 10 years before starting your own

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by shegzydave(m): 1:41pm On Nov 12, 2019
EXLOVER:
If you don't have patience don't think of business o, people cashing out on business, if them tell you things they went through during the start you nor go believe. They are some business you will do you won't see market for one week, you will think you're in the wrong lane, but no it's patience.

And another if you want to do business, do something you have knowledge on, and not because you see people doing it and making profit from it.
oto
God bless you for this bro, you give me hope again, when i started my computer business center/cafe in one small town called Amoyo outskirt of Ilorin kwara state, sometimes in a day i will only sell #50 imagine #50 naira photocopy from morning till 6pm, but thank God for patience i added POS business to it, mehn today am thanking God i have patience, schools have known me they bring job for me......
doing your own business requires alot of Patience for real....once again thank you for this point

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by AchosDaboss(m): 2:54pm On Nov 12, 2019
All I would advice is not to be in a rush
Do not put unnecessary pressure on yourself
It's good to have a plan
But live One day at a time
What ever you find yourself doing
Be your best and the best will come to you

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by egopersonified(f): 2:31pm On Nov 15, 2019
dukeprince50:

This is the biggest fallacy of all time. As a business man, you have less time to yourself if that business is your main source of income, except you fall in the category of those who start businesses just to leave home.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Federal Workers Observe Christmas Without December Salaries / The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. / Unsatisfied With Your Income? Here’s How You Can Improve It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.