Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,216 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? (20609 Views)

How Much Did You Save Before Quitting Your Salary Job For Your Own Business? / Lady Quits Her £50k Job To Start Her Own Business, Buys Her 1st House At 25 / Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by deltateam: 7:37pm On Nov 11, 2019
dukeprince50:
Good day nairalanders.

I am in my final year and about to defend my project, My HOD called me few months ago and told me my school has plans to retain me.

My CGPA was good so I was not really surprised but the problem is that for the past three years I have bin thinking of starting my own business and grow my wealth, I have bin thinking of becoming financially independed and has decided that I'll not need a Job.

I somehow fancy the lifestyle of doing whatever I want to, going to work when I want to, closing from work when i want to, going for vacation when I want to and do not really like the idea of doing what others want me to.

But there is no capital right now and I have told my dad to raise me something which he said he doesn't have, though I have little savings which I could use to start something very small.

So my question is, should I accept the Job knowing that immediately I start seeing salary, I could forget my dreams, that fear keeps ringing or should I just start with the little knowing that it won't be enough for me at the moment but there is 100% hope I'll grow.

The fear is I am 26now, plan on getting married at 30(This is a must and cannot be compromised) cos I want to marry and just rest so I could chase my goal which from my own calculations could take another 25-30yrs of my life.

so I'll need to feed more mouth, but I can't tell if I'll be able to add one more mouth at my 30 but if I become a lecturer, I'll not have a problem.
I do not want to do the both. I just want to focus on my goals or the Job. Just humble opinion.

Bros you should accept that job o. Being self employed is good but its still an experiment and you don't know how it would turn out yet.

Many are praying to be in your shoes. You just got it on a platter of gold. Be guided o.

2 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by kevoh(m): 7:37pm On Nov 11, 2019
Pavillon:

nlander, What do we say to the god of Unemployment and hunger?
Not today. grin grin But for this OP na today.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by DameB(f): 7:38pm On Nov 11, 2019
If you think having a business will give you the freedom of going to work & closing when you want to or going for vacay, then you better think again

Unless it's a biz that pays you in your sleep and is as hands-off as possible, you literally breathe, sleep and eat your business (especially in the first year) if you want solid foundation and growth for your biz

3 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Nov 11, 2019
Don't be afraid to lose your passion for business. If it is in you, you will never lose it. Those who get a job and lose it were never that passionate about it.

In Nigeria, starting a business and succeeding is a miracle because of lack of infrastructure needed to build a business. You will face a stretch of hard times that people will eventually discourage you if you haven't discouraged yourself first.

I have been there for years, tried many business with a mix of failures and successes. I will not sacrifice being self employed for a job. Never!

However, I advise you to take up the job, save monthly and buy things (machinery, equipments or any other resources needed for the business).

Start the business even with your job. If success domes with the business, don't quit your job yet. Diversify! Create 3 different successful businesses to increase sources of income before finally resigning your job.

Get capable people to manage the biz for you, monitor the biz and don't be afraid to sack, sack and sack until you get the right people to work in your various businesses.

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by chibnnodi: 7:39pm On Nov 11, 2019
Choose one, your business will suffer if you go into lecturing. This is because you'd start from being a G.A., and be a boy for some years, running errands and Masters simultaneously. You'd grow in your business starting small and be an employer of labour soon, live a fulfilled life and be happy with yourself.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by dukeprince50: 7:40pm On Nov 11, 2019
emddi:
If it's passion for wealth,then don't do entrepreneurship.But if it is passion for solving a problem,then go for it.
The truth is you make more money when you have passion for solving problems than passion for wealth
what a great discouragement, thanks for ur comment anyways even if ill not take it, its still an opinion which I respect

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by dukeprince50: 7:41pm On Nov 11, 2019
chibnnodi:
Choose one, your business will suffer if you go into lecturing. This is because you'd start from being a G.A., and be a boy for some years, running errands and Masters simultaneously. You'd grow in your business starting small and be an employer of labour soon, live a fulfilled life and be happy with yourself.
Finally someone gets it, so what do you suggest? knowing that one will suffer at the expense of the other
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by fk002: 7:41pm On Nov 11, 2019
You never graduate and here you are talking about retainment. HOD has little or no power to retain you, that's how they do they will just motivate you and raise your hopes.

In a nutshell focus on your business, if you graduate and they retain you (But highly unlikely) then it will be a win win for you. Lecturing job is very flexible you can do whatever type of business you want to do.

When I was undergraduate there was this my lecturer he was still a PhD holder back then, but he drove the most expensive cars in town, he changes cars like footwear. Some of the prof envied him but they can't help it.

The secret behind his wealth is business.

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by dave4rella(m): 7:53pm On Nov 11, 2019
shocked

To build a business and make it stand takes a minimum of 5years
And you intend getting married at 30
Meanwhile the future of the business is not certain
You don't have capital.
Take the lecturing job, then set up the business
And further your education
Lecturing job will give you that flexibility.
Never think of dumping the lecturing job for anything... Good luck!

2 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 11, 2019
dukeprince50:
what a great discouragement, thanks for ur comment anyways even if ill not take it, its still an opinion which I respect
mehn..,a passion for solving problem is a discouragement?Thank you

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by dukeprince50: 7:58pm On Nov 11, 2019
emddi:
mehn..,a passion for solving problem is a discouragement?Thank you
lol, no o. wat I meant was, telling me to forget my first priority cos its not a passion for solving problem is discouraging
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Dsmartguy11(m): 7:59pm On Nov 11, 2019
My brother I would have advise u to take up the job, save up some capital, build up ur business, when it takes good shape u can resign. Or take up the both lecturing job is not demanding, u can still combine the both. But it seems u already know what u want follow ur heart good luck.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Budline1(m): 8:00pm On Nov 11, 2019
There is nothing bad in running both. Never quit your job even if your business pays well. We are in Nigeria, anything can happen anytime, let's be real.

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Nov 11, 2019
dukeprince50:
lol, no o. wat I meant was, telling me to forget my first priority cos its not a passion for solving problem is discouraging
OK,how much money would you wish to have in your life time
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by cluewebhost(m): 8:09pm On Nov 11, 2019
If you have to ask strangers online for advice to make a decision go for the white collar job.

Business is hard and fast decision making for the rest of your life.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by seanwilliam(m): 8:10pm On Nov 11, 2019
If I were u, I would choose the job first, work CD for 3years and establish the business close to the school environment..

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by boroskyuyo: 8:11pm On Nov 11, 2019
You can still combine d 2 bro

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by HowDareU: 8:12pm On Nov 11, 2019
My friend, I am glad you are focused and know what you want. But, being an entrepreneur is hard work. Entrepreneurship takes time; it is patient and commitment OK? This is my advice: accept the job and keep saving from your salary. As you do that, keep learning some vital skills as well. Then, you can decide for yourself.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Prettyjanet1: 8:12pm On Nov 11, 2019
dukeprince50:
Good day nairalanders.

I am in my final year and about to defend my project, My HOD called me few months ago and told me my school has plans to retain me.

My CGPA was good so I was not really surprised but the problem is that for the past three years I have bin thinking of starting my own business and grow my wealth, I have bin thinking of becoming financially independed and has decided that I'll not need a Job.

I somehow fancy the lifestyle of doing whatever I want to, going to work when I want to, closing from work when i want to, going for vacation when I want to and do not really like the idea of doing what others want me to.

But there is no capital right now and I have told my dad to raise me something which he said he doesn't have, though I have little savings which I could use to start something very small.

So my question is, should I accept the Job knowing that immediately I start seeing salary, I could forget my dreams, that fear keeps ringing or should I just start with the little knowing that it won't be enough for me at the moment but there is 100% hope I'll grow.

The fear is I am 26now, plan on getting married at 30(This is a must and cannot be compromised) cos I want to marry and just rest so I could chase my goal which from my own calculations could take another 25-30yrs of my life.

so I'll need to feed more mouth, but I can't tell if I'll be able to add one more mouth at my 30 but if I become a lecturer, I'll not have a problem.
I do not want to do the both. I just want to focus on my goals or the Job. Just humble opinion.
you better grab the job.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by dukeprince50: 8:14pm On Nov 11, 2019
emddi:
OK,how much money would you wish to have in your life time
that's a difficult question but I plan on multiplying my worth by at least 25 every 10years, so think of how much u think I'll have at d age of 30 and multiply it by 25x25x25=15625, that is the least I am expecting. cos I plan to retire at age 60
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 8:15pm On Nov 11, 2019
Start Blogging Business Bro and thank Me later

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by JerryQ: 8:17pm On Nov 11, 2019
Pls you need to start modifying your mind set about Your personal Biz. If you wanna do it because it will give you free time, that is wrong. If its also cos You don't want to work for any body, that is also wrong. You go into personal biz cos you decide to employ yourself, so all the personal restrictions you should experience working under someone should not be far from what you will also experience in your personal biz. I am not free though i have and run a successful biz, i need inspect what my workers do on a daily bases so it can be to my standard cos people dont do what you expect but what you inspect. This is real work. Until i can hire someone to do the inspection and supervision the way i do it, i am not free.

I don't even know the biz you plan doing but some biz needs years before you even break even. How will you survive if your biz needs such ? Pls, its not bad in anyway for you to work under someone while getting ready to start your biz, it gives you time to gather more capital to start bigger and enough time to gain experience and skills you will be needing for your biz.

For how long have you done this biz, how profitable are you at it ? If you start at it now, does it guarantee it will settle your needs and marriage plans. You have a rare offer from your school that even Masters degree holders are looking for, take it and utilise it. Then plan to run your biz on a bigger note.

A family friend waited for the dad to work and gather cash for about 20 years to build a school. When the time came, the mum led their already grown kids and used the cash to start a school. Boy, you need see the structure they started with. Cos the capital was huge, the struggles were less. Today, they make tens of millions of Naira every term. So, think well guy and take that Job. With the job sef, you can marry within a year, start your family and start the biz too. I really wish i know the biz you wanna do. Anyway, wishing you the best.

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Dreamz77(m): 8:21pm On Nov 11, 2019
A bird at hand is worth two in the bush.accept the lecturing job and at the same time be making your plans to leave your dream life by organising everything you will need when you venture into entrepreneurship.It may take time and little setbacks but you need to secure the available first,then when you know you have put every single plan in place "physically" then you can tender your resignation and take the bold step.In a nutshell, you need a foundation to begin with and take my words ,lecturing isn't a bad one.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Nov 11, 2019
@dukeprince50

We all fantasize about being entrepreneurs, doing what we love, waking up whenever we like, working at our own pace.

A true entrepreneur will tell you that it isn't glamorous at all.

Not at first anyway.

Take the job offer from your university.

Use that as a training ground before launching your own career.

As an entrepreneur, you will have to be very self disciplined.

You can imbibe that self discipline from the school job.

Work like 10 years, save and launch out on your own.

2 Likes

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Emmyk(m): 8:46pm On Nov 11, 2019
ornicus:
Bill Gates knew exactly what he was going to do when he dropped out of college. Micheal dell was already building and selling computers. They had a vision. All you have is the usual empty nonsense of not working for anyone, be your own boss.

You have not once alluded to the 'business' you plan on doing. All you have is the usual childish fantasies about being self employed.

Are you actually doing something that demonstrably makes money?

Are you sure you actually have a high cgpa?

I thought of same thing. Reading the last paragraph of his post I was like 'what dream' ?

The dream isn't defined yet.

@OP, if I were you, I'll take up the lecturing job like some persons already suggested. Then save up and try your hands on something, see if it works out. If it does and you feel you are ready, you can then leave the lecturing job.

Cheers. smiley
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Ridorz: 8:49pm On Nov 11, 2019
If you have your capital and ready to face the any challenges to be encounter, go for business to be a employer instead of employee...
dukeprince50:
Good day nairalanders.

I am in my final year and I about to defend my project, My HOD called me few months ago and told me my school has plans to retain me.

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Deporps(f): 8:54pm On Nov 11, 2019
Hmm

1 Like

Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by dukeprince50: 9:07pm On Nov 11, 2019
UDOKABESTLUV:
Start Blogging Business Bro and thank Me later
I want to start a business I av knowledge of, I do not know even the fundamentals of blogging.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by princeakinola1(m): 9:20pm On Nov 11, 2019
You better grab that opportunity,i could remeber the opportunity i had then when i finished my nysc,i rejected it to go for better offer then,now the better offer have gone now,am now begin for the first opportunity,God will help you.
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 11, 2019
dukeprince50:
Good day nairalanders.

Who.says u can't do.both 2gether?
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by millionboi2: 9:22pm On Nov 11, 2019
b0rn2fuck:
I have been doing business for sometimes now, its just that the challenges can make one commit suicide but I will never work for anyone because the freedom in owning your business sweet die
Very addictive
Re: White Collar Job And Starting My Own Business: Which Is Better? by jclassiq(m): 9:22pm On Nov 11, 2019
Chai. Inexperience will deal with lots of people in this world. And this op is very very very inexperienced unfortunately.

OK so bro listen, if anyone offers you a job anywhere, pls take it.

Don't make the mistake of naively rejecting a job offer because you want to enjoy the good life dat self employment affords. And let me even be more blunt with you bro: going by all you listed as your motivation for contemplating business, you will most likely be frustrated much sooner than later.

In a nutshell, take the job. Any job at all. And proceed from there.thank you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Are Professional Courses Really Important / Fear Of Job Losses As FX Scarcity Persists, Oil Prices Crash Further / Federal Workers Observe Christmas Without December Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.