Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,261 members, 7,822,323 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English (39322 Views)

5 Nigerians Who Have Received Oscars Nomination, Award / Academy Awards - Oscars 2022 (Full List Of Winners) / OSCARS: Ramsey Nouah, Mo Abudu, Andrew Dosunmu Invited To Become Academy Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by tiwiex(m): 8:02am On Nov 12, 2019
stevebond007:
I think the International Community is trying to pass a message, they want to see us more through our own culture and LANGUAGE.

Producers shouldn't be scared to act in our own language,they should add SUBTITLES.

We are Africans not Europeans.

Its even badt that in most homes now, the KIDS don't speak their mother tongue,imagine Kids born and bred in West or East that can't speak a word of Yoruba/Ibo.

MISEDUCATION

Totally agree. I think we equated literacy to not speaking or learning our culture in general. I am happy this is happening. Surprisingly, this is most common in Nigeria. Many other African countries still hold on to their culture tight. Once we can afford Apple lap top here, we start speaking plenty oyinbo and start feeling "educated" .

Good message from the Oscars. They have enough English speaking movies. I don't see why an international category should also be in English. Na we go dey shout colonization. Now, they are helping us realize we have roots, we don dey shout racism.

6 Likes

Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by YorubaPrince: 8:05am On Nov 12, 2019
It's kinda sad to see this. The movie is indeed a great one. I absolutely love it... it was very genuine and original... way better than that Genevieve's movie, Lionheart. angry

I watched it several times. My best part was when the young teenage chic was narrating her first time experience with her client and also when they were in the train to Germany trying to hide from immigration officials. That was very touching indeed as diasporans could relate to it.

Overall... it's a good watch! cool
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by dermmy(m): 8:05am On Nov 12, 2019
Duggedised12:
Local languages and pidgin it is then. They are subtly letting africans know they cant speak English more then the real owners. Start using pidgin and local languages add subtitles case solved.

In all honesty, i have always thought these movies were unrealistic ,you see house helps who are supposed to be not to educated blasting English,its just unrealistic.

Exactly...Even in yoruba movies o. You go dey see gateman wey b stark illiterate him go dey blast english. Babalawo/herbalist go dey use phonetics. No b small tin o. Nollywood is a big joke

1 Like

Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by BluntBoy(m): 8:06am On Nov 12, 2019
The most annoying part is not even the English, but the annoying American accent that everyone has, even the ones in the village in precolonial era.

You will see Genevieve Nnaji acting as a villager who has never been to a classroom or seen a vehicle speaking English with the accent of Barak Obama.

1 Like

Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Nobody: 8:08am On Nov 12, 2019
Smithkafors:
I watched living in bondage yesterday and I was impressed with their mixture of local and English language.Ramsey Noah did a wonderful work, ... Living in bondage is a movie to watch
I've seen the trailer, brief me summarily about it please.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Nobody: 8:08am On Nov 12, 2019
ruffbamreal:

If Nigeria official language is English why do Nigerian film makers submit their movies for the award in the first place? Don't they read terms and conditions? This also implies that our movies are not foreign movies to them since it is spoken in English.
my point is that the criteria is a very foolish one to begin with. Why is Language the only indicator of culture to them? So something is not Nigerian enough becaus it is spoken in English? Doesn’t make any sense. We have way too many native languages spoken in Nigeria to settle on any one. It’s not like we have one major national native language. That’s why we can’t submit a movie with just Yoruba or Hausa spoken as it will obviously cause complaints from other tribes. English is the only language we all have in common in Nigeria.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by DoktaRen(m): 8:09am On Nov 12, 2019
naptu2:
Note: The film is an Austrian film about Nigerian sex workers in Austria. It was submitted by Austria,
not Nigeria.

See, that movie is an Australian movie, but with Nigerian contents. Imagine where dey serve you fufu with chopsticks, think am.? And also note that a group of Naija hustlers outside nigeria live as if they are still in Nigeria but at a different place. So, even their language of communication will still be the same within them.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Nobody: 8:09am On Nov 12, 2019
slyfoxxjoe:
Nigeria’s official language is English. Why do they think we all speak some Zulu language here?

SA has 12 official languages

English
Tswana
Pedi
Afrikaans
Zulu
Xhosa
Venda
Ndebele
Swati
Sotho
Tsonga
Sign language

SA is inclusive. If you we have won before we know the criteria

Read the criteria of the Oscars first before emotions get better of you, the film should not have submitted in the first place
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by fredoooooo: 8:13am On Nov 12, 2019
We dey speak Enngrish pass English self ...
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Nobody: 8:14am On Nov 12, 2019
slyfoxxjoe:
my point is that the criteria is a very foolish one to begin with. Why is Language the only indicator of culture to them? So something is not Nigerian enough becaus it is spoken in English? Doesn’t make any sense. We have way too many native languages spoken in Nigeria to settle on any one. It’s not like we have one major national native language. That’s why we can’t submit a movie with just Yoruba or Hausa spoken as it will obviously cause complaints from other tribes. English is the only language we all have in common in Nigeria.

I think Nigeria should move away from tribalism, it's dragging it behind. English is not native to Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Viicfuntop(f): 8:16am On Nov 12, 2019
JOy was a very good movie. That one was worthy of an oscar
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by gcof(m): 8:16am On Nov 12, 2019
Nuelblakes:
don't we have Yoruba,igbo pidgin,hausa film to summit must it be English
with their picture quality??
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 12, 2019
Austine1212:

I think Nigeria should move away from tribalism, it's dragging it behind. English is not native to Nigeria.

so which one of our over 500 native languages do you suggest we submit our entry in? Tell me. And afterwards you do, try to reason if submitting an entry in that language won’t cause any problems.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Ajibade123(m): 8:20am On Nov 12, 2019
king of boys nko... that one nko
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by naptu2: 8:20am On Nov 12, 2019
majamajic:

the film is not from Nigerian !!!

many here do not read the news content

Exactly!
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Bukden16(m): 8:21am On Nov 12, 2019
My own motion picture will definitely do make it to finale.

2 Likes

Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Duggedised12(f): 8:23am On Nov 12, 2019
dermmy:

Exactly...Even in yoruba movies o. You go dey see gateman wey b stark illiterate him go dey blast english. Babalawo/herbalist go dey use phonetics. No b small tin o. Nollywood is a big joke
exactly. These producers need to up their game. imagine who goes to the market to be speaking English with market woman?
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by meobizy(f): 8:24am On Nov 12, 2019
Well at least that's more exposure for the movie. I know I'll check it on Netflix.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Nobody: 8:25am On Nov 12, 2019
slyfoxxjoe:
so which one of our over 500 native languages do you suggest we submit our entry in? Tell me. And afterwards you do, try to reason if submitting an entry in that language won’t cause any problems.

Submit any of the top 3 languages

South Africa has more native languages, and but made 12 major ones official as the other ones are sub branches of the official ones.

Tsotsi the movie that won the Oscar had over 5 native languages spoken including English.

1 Like

Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by naptu2: 8:27am On Nov 12, 2019
slyfoxxjoe:

I'm going to try and summarise what I've been saying for more than 20 years.

I do not consider the Academy Awards (Oscars) and the Grammy Awards to be international awards. They are American national awards.

The thing is that American culture is the dominant culture across the world, so people mistake them for international awards.

The people who vote for these awards are members of American academies.

They do not want any movie that can in any way compete with American movies in the Best Foreign Language category.

That's why the criteria are that:

1) The movie must be in a language that is foreign to Americans.

2) Most of the crew of the film (the director, producer, editor, etc) must be foreigners (they must not be Americans)

And

3) The funding for the movie must primarily be from foreign sources.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by naptu2: 8:29am On Nov 12, 2019
DoktaRen:

See, that movie is an Australian movie, but with Nigerian contents. Imagine where dey serve you fufu with chopsticks, think am.? And also note that a group of Naija hustlers outside nigeria live as if they are still in Nigeria but at a different place. So, even their language of communication will still be the same within them.

How does this relate to my post?
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Nobody: 8:32am On Nov 12, 2019
They should submit mokalik naa
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by femi4: 8:32am On Nov 12, 2019
Neddstark:
This is getting irritating. Dont we Nigerians read? We know we cannot compete on the average movie categories, so we opt for the international category. Unfortunately, the international category has strong rules of the language of communication not being majorly in English. When the movies eventually get rejected, we now claim racism. Why are African themed movies like The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind not going for international feature film category?
The movie is for Nigerians not Oscar. If you really want your movie to cut across Nigeria, you need to infuse English and broken English. That rule will only make sense in a Country that's not multilingual
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by lexy2014: 8:33am On Nov 12, 2019
maynation:
I think the criterion is obviously fair enough.

No English-speaking movie deserves this award, no need going haywire over this.

Simple. Our desperation to sound and appear like d whites has finally backfired. These films were an opportunity to project our identity, an opportunity lost
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by airminem(f): 8:33am On Nov 12, 2019
Obviously the international countries respects Africa culture and believes in their history. Africa first !!
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by lexy2014: 8:34am On Nov 12, 2019
DoktaRen:

Austrian not Australian
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by nograv: 8:36am On Nov 12, 2019
maynation:
I think the criterion is obviously fair enough.

No English-speaking movie deserves this award, no need going haywire over this.

No it isn’t, because films submitted by other African nations which are mainly in French or Portuguese were accepted.

While I do not appreciate a film on sex workers being our submission, this says more about American ignorance who don’t deem a film truly international if the main language is English... stupidity..

So even though English is widely used across Nigeria, a legacy of colonialism by the way, Americans think that means a film isn’t international. Last time I checked Lagosians weren’t English....
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by BluntBoy(m): 8:36am On Nov 12, 2019
slyfoxxjoe:

English is allowed, but the indigenous language should be used far more. So the Oscar is not against English dialogue in foreign movies. It is just against using too much English.

The criteria is fair.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by handsomebanana(m): 8:37am On Nov 12, 2019
Neddstark:
This is getting irritating. Dont we Nigerians read? We know we cannot compete on the average movie categories, so we opt for the international category. Unfortunately, the international category has strong rules of the language of communication not being majorly in English. When the movies eventually get rejected, we now claim racism. Why are African themed movies like The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind not going for international feature film category?

You are among the Nigerians who lack the ability to read.
If you could, you would know that the movie was not made, neither was it submitted by a Nigerian.

You see Nigeria there so you think, "what a wonderful way for me to show my superiority over my fellow country mates ", resulting in making a conplete fool out of yourself.

Stupid asswipe, you and all the 26 rètards who liked your comment
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by stevebond007(m): 8:37am On Nov 12, 2019
tiwiex:

Totally agree. I think we equated literacy to not speaking or learning our culture in general. I am happy this is happening. Surprisingly, this is most common in Nigeria. Many other African countries still hold on to their culture tight. Once we can afford Apple lap top here, we start speaking plenty oyinbo and start feeling "educated" .

Good message from the Oscars. They have enough English speaking movies. I don't see why an international category should also be in English. Na we go dey shout colonization. Now, they are helping us realize we have roots, we don dey shout racism.

Abi na.
I agree jare, tell them o
Why is our music making waves? Its because its original.
It infuses our tune and language

Na we con dey recolonize...
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by edoairways: 8:39am On Nov 12, 2019
popsy2:
Nawa o. We have a thousand and one Igbo,Yoruba, Hausa etc movies that we could have submitted.

I don't know who needs this but if you are In need of CAC company registration, Business Name registration, Trustees, NGO, NAFDAC number on your products etc, talk to us at www. Lawlab. Com. ng
The interesting part is that consultation is free of charge. Yes! Free of charge.

The universe has its way of rewarding us for our magnanimity.
We need OSCAR AMAA is OK.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by toprealman: 8:41am On Nov 12, 2019
popsy2:
Nawa o. We have a thousand and one Igbo,Yoruba, Hausa etc movies that we could have submitted.

I don't know who needs this but if you are In need of CAC company registration, Business Name registration, Trustees, NGO, NAFDAC number on your products etc, talk to us at www. Lawlab. Com. ng
The interesting part is that consultation is free of charge. Yes! Free of charge.

The universe has its way of rewarding us for our magnanimity.
You keep advertising but never respond to enquiry.
How much does it cost to register an NGO?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BBNaija: CeeC Warns Her Father, Others Ahead Of The End Of The Show / Dorathy Cultural Presentation: My people are Accomodating / Uti Nwachukwu Reacts To Pere And White Money Fight On Bbnaija

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.