Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,730 members, 7,820,526 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English (39317 Views)

5 Nigerians Who Have Received Oscars Nomination, Award / Academy Awards - Oscars 2022 (Full List Of Winners) / OSCARS: Ramsey Nouah, Mo Abudu, Andrew Dosunmu Invited To Become Academy Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Nobody: 8:41am On Nov 12, 2019
BluntBoy:

English is allowed, but the indigenous language should be used far more. So the Oscar is not against English dialogue in foreign movies. It is just against using too much English.

The criteria is fair.
there is nothing like “the indigenous language” in Nigeria oga. That’s my point. We have over 500 native languages in Nigeria. Which do we pick? Or are you suggesting we incorporate all our spoken native languages into one movie? Won’t that cause confusion to you?
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 12, 2019
Ajibade123:
king of boys nko... that one nko
Or mokalik
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by handsomeyitayo(m): 8:49am On Nov 12, 2019
Don't you know this people value African culture ..it is more to us if we promote our culture...look at the Asians, dey speak their language..
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Nobody: 8:49am On Nov 12, 2019
naptu2:

I'm going to try and summarise what I've been saying for more than 20 years.

I do not consider the Academy Awards (Oscars) and the Grammy Awards to be international awards. They are American national awards.

The thing is that American culture is the dominant culture across the world, so people mistake them for international awards.

The people who vote for these awards are members of American academies.

They do not want any movie that can in any way compete with American movies in the Best Foreign Language category.

That's why the criteria are that:

1) The movie must be in a language that is foreign to Americans.

2) Most of the crew of the film (the director, producer, editor, etc) must be foreigners (they must not be Americans)

And

3) The funding for the movie must primarily be from foreign sources.
true. I agree with this. They only include the foreign category to satisfy their fake sense of inclusitivity and ‘diversity’. They don’t really want to see us compete with them.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by edoairways: 8:51am On Nov 12, 2019
naptu2:

I'm going to try and summarise what I've been saying for more than 20 years.

I do not consider the Academy Awards (Oscars) and the Grammy Awards to be international awards. They are American national awards.

The thing is that American culture is the dominant culture across the world, so people mistake them for international awards.

The people who vote for these awards are members of American academies.

They do not want any movie that can in any way compete with American movies in the Best Foreign Language category.

That's why the criteria are that:

1) The movie must be in a language that is foreign to Americans.

2) Most of the crew of the film (the director, producer, editor, etc) must be foreigners (they must not be Americans)

And

3) The funding for the movie must primarily be from foreign sources.
Then I wonder why Africans are wailing over an award meant for Americans

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by pi2oy: 8:52am On Nov 12, 2019
They need to reframe then.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Kennyswagz2: 9:00am On Nov 12, 2019
majamajic:

the film is not from Nigerian !!!

many here do not read the news content

i was just SMH when reading throughcrycry
Nigerians and oversabi
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by blaque7: 9:03am On Nov 12, 2019
this Joy na good movie.

Abeg anyone knows correct movie or series I can see on netflix? I wanted to watch power but could nt. A friend said its becos I was using Nigerian account.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by DedeNkem: 9:04am On Nov 12, 2019
Rules are rules!
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by BluntBoy(m): 9:06am On Nov 12, 2019
slyfoxxjoe:
there is nothing like “the indigenous language” in Nigeria oga. That’s my point. We have over 500 native languages in Nigeria. Which do we pick? Or are you suggesting we incorporate all our spoken native languages into one movie? Won’t that cause confusion to you?

There is a board that selects movies for each country.

Every year, this board sends out invitations to film makers and directors to send in their movies. This board then makes a unanimous decision on what film to send as their country's representative movie.

So, if you have a movie in Efik and it is properly produced with great and unambiguous English subtitle, you are welcome to submit it to the board.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by thatigboman: 9:08am On Nov 12, 2019
slyfoxxjoe:
Nigeria’s official language is English. Why do they think we all speak some Zulu language here?
the organizers say they need movies in foreign language (not english). their award, their rule. shey u understand
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by popsy2(m): 9:23am On Nov 12, 2019
toprealman:
You keep advertising but never respond to enquiry.
How much does it cost to register an NGO?

Apologies sir. Kindly mail your enquiry to info@ lawlab. Com. ng or go to the website www. Lawlab. Com. Ng and use the contact form.

Consultation is totally free of charge and response is swift.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by kay29000(m): 9:27am On Nov 12, 2019
Neddstark:
This is getting irritating. Dont we Nigerians read? We know we cannot compete on the average movie categories, so we opt for the international category. Unfortunately, the international category has strong rules of the language of communication not being majorly in English. When the movies eventually get rejected, we now claim racism. Why are African themed movies like The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind not going for international feature film category?

I tire for my fellow Nigerians. The rules are very clear...just follow the damn rules and stop claiming victim.

1 Like

Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by popsy2(m): 9:28am On Nov 12, 2019
sonature1:

I noticed that most Nigerian films made in our local languages are low-budget flicks with terrible translations.

The reason is probably that they don't get the attention, hype and revenue that the English-themed movies get.

So, I am guessing that the day an Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba movie is submitted to the Oscars, it will be disqualified at once.

Unless they will start making films in our local languages with great budget in the hopes of snagging an Oscar plaque.

Your observations are poignant I must say. Producers are not ready to invest substantial funds into such genres because the audience is restricted. The chances of recouping on the investment is quite negligible.

1 Like

Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by kay29000(m): 9:28am On Nov 12, 2019
maynation:
I think the criterion is obviously fair enough.

No English-speaking movie deserves this award, no need going haywire over this.

EXACTLY!
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by kay29000(m): 9:29am On Nov 12, 2019
operandus:
Let them continue blowing grammar with no local content, we want to be more english than the English. ......mtcheew

I tire o. Lol
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by naptu2: 9:31am On Nov 12, 2019
kay29000:

I tire for my fellow Nigerians. The rules are very clear...just follow the damn rules and stop claiming victim.

This isn't a Nigerian film. It's an Austrian film about Nigerian prostitutes in Austria. It was submitted by Austria, not Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by toprealman: 9:42am On Nov 12, 2019
popsy2:

Apologies sir. Kindly mail your enquiry to info@ lawlab. Com. ng or go to the website www. Lawlab. Com. Ng and use the contact form.

respond here.....charges for NGO registration?
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by naptu2: 9:48am On Nov 12, 2019
popsy2:

toprealman:
respond here.....charges for NGO registration?

Err, I think he needs to respond on another thread and he can mention your username there. Both of you are derailing this thread (see rule 1).

1 Like

Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Originalsly: 9:57am On Nov 12, 2019
This is an Austrian movie. Couldn't they base it on Austrian prostitutes? ... I hope their prostitutes picket their film board for neglecting them in favour of foreign Nigerian prostitutes.
On Lionheart being rejected..... didn't they know the rules? I want to believe they knew... but went ahead anyway with the we would explain attitude.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by nagoma(m): 10:06am On Nov 12, 2019
Most of the Prostitutes cannot speak their native language well. They are all from that region
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by vivypretty(f): 10:10am On Nov 12, 2019
what happened to king of boys?
the movie is great and the language is in our local language (Yoruba, Hausa and a little igbo)
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Neddstark: 10:23am On Nov 12, 2019
skyhighweb:
they says its being rejected for too much english, abi u no sabi read in English ni?

What is this cockloving dude saying?
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Nobody: 10:46am On Nov 12, 2019
thatigboman:
the organizers say they need movies in foreign language (not english). their award, their rule. shey u understand
of course. I’m just saying it’s a stupid rule. They can do whatever they want.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Chidimizzle: 10:52am On Nov 12, 2019
Neddstark:
This is getting irritating. Dont we Nigerians read? We know we cannot compete on the average movie categories, so we opt for the international category. Unfortunately, the international category has strong rules of the language of communication not being majorly in English. When the movies eventually get rejected, we now claim racism. Why are African themed movies like "The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind" not going for international feature film category? Didn't African-themed "Last King of Scotland" win an oscar for best actor in the past?

Just to point out: The boy who harnessed the wind is the UK's submission in that film category. I'm guessing it's because English is the official language. The official language in Nigeria too is English hence the confusion on the basis for disqualification.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by kay29000(m): 10:56am On Nov 12, 2019
naptu2:

This isn't a Nigerian film. It's an Austrian film about Nigerian prostitutes in Austria. It was submitted by Austria, not Nigeria.

I know, but referring to the Genevieve situation.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Ttipsy(f): 10:58am On Nov 12, 2019
seanwilliam:
Dem full nairaland, awon wole shoyinka
i tell u

dem carry English 4 head
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by skyhighweb(m): 11:21am On Nov 12, 2019
Neddstark:

What is this cockloving dude saying?
i dont know, wanna put two dicks in ur mouth and ask me again, u slowpoke?
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by IsaacBuchi(m): 12:23pm On Nov 12, 2019
popsy2:
Nawa o. We have a thousand and one Igbo,Yoruba, Hausa etc movies that we could have submitted.

I don't know who needs this but if you are In need of CAC company registration, Business Name registration, Trustees, NGO, NAFDAC number on your products etc, talk to us at www. Lawlab. Com. ng
The interesting part is that consultation is free of charge. Yes! Free of charge.

The universe has its way of rewarding us for our magnanimity.

Those Igbo,Yoruba, Hausa etc movies still have a lot to improve on.

Too much drama...
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Rajosh(m): 1:14pm On Nov 12, 2019
[quote author=popsy2 post=83949616]Nawa o. We have a thousand and one Igbo,Yoruba, Hausa etc movies that we could have submitted.

those one thousand and one films you talked about are not good enough for a local award let alone Oscar. especially their errors in subtitling. They murder English in their subtitles like no tomorrow
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by pacespot(m): 1:16pm On Nov 12, 2019
To Nigerians, originality is a big issue, they like to copy anything foreign, so also their language.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BBNaija: CeeC Warns Her Father, Others Ahead Of The End Of The Show / Dorathy Cultural Presentation: My people are Accomodating / Uti Nwachukwu Reacts To Pere And White Money Fight On Bbnaija

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.