Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,656 members, 7,955,370 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:55 AM

'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English (39610 Views)

5 Nigerians Who Have Received Oscars Nomination, Award / Academy Awards - Oscars 2022 (Full List Of Winners) / OSCARS: Ramsey Nouah, Mo Abudu, Andrew Dosunmu Invited To Become Academy Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Americanboy35: 2:11pm On Nov 12, 2019
The film is an Austrian film, not naija movie
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Litmus: 5:34pm On Nov 12, 2019
YorubaPrince:
It's kinda sad to see this. The movie is indeed a great one. I absolutely love it... it was very genuine and original... way better than that Genevieve's movie, Lionheart. angry

I watched it several times. My best part was when the young teenage chic was narrating her first time experience with her client and also when they were in the train to Germany trying to hide from immigration officials. That was very touching indeed as diasporans could relate to it.

Overall... it's a good watch! cool

Incidentally, I wonder why Thailand, synonymous with sex trade and prostitution have never submitted any movie, drama, documentary or essay on the subject for world consumption. Could it be that they are weary of seemingly indirectly endorsing an unhappy reputation?
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Litmus: 5:45pm On Nov 12, 2019
South Africa should learn from Nigeria and produce lots of Zulu language movies on HIV, since the world needs to associate HIV with South Africa and the endemic nature of it among the population requires exploring. HIV’s suffering would make a wonderful study and since the West loves associating negativity with Africa, the producers are sure to win many honours
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by bennynaza(m): 6:15pm On Nov 12, 2019
maynation:
I think the criterion is obviously fair enough.

No English-speaking movie deserves this award, no need going haywire over this.

And you have seen all the non English movies of 2019?
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by maynation(f): 6:22pm On Nov 12, 2019
bennynaza:

And you have seen all the non English movies of 2019?

How is this related to my comment?
Please help me, I'm confused.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by searchng4love: 6:29pm On Nov 12, 2019
maynation:

How is this related to my comment?
Please help me, I'm confused.
We have talk o.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by maynation(f): 7:15pm On Nov 12, 2019
searchng4love:

We have talk o.

As in?
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by searchng4love: 7:16pm On Nov 12, 2019
maynation:

As in?
Offline please
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by maynation(f): 7:23pm On Nov 12, 2019
searchng4love:

Offline please
K
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Olodo24: 10:05pm On Nov 12, 2019
Neddstark:
This is getting irritating. Dont we Nigerians read? We know we cannot compete on the average movie categories, so we opt for the international category. Unfortunately, the international category has strong rules of the language of communication not being majorly in English. When the movies eventually get rejected, we now claim racism. Why are African themed movies like "The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind" not going for international feature film category? Didn't African-themed "Last King of Scotland" win an oscar for best actor in the past?
the boy who harnessed the wind is UK's official entry I think. I'm hearing talks that it has too much English dialogues too
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by babatunx(m): 10:45pm On Nov 12, 2019
Kennygee... you see wetin I dey talk bha?
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by enomakos(m): 1:32pm On Nov 13, 2019
Smithkafors:
I watched living in bondage yesterday and I was impressed with their mixture of local and English . living in bondage is a movie to watch....
a remake or the same one?
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by tck2000(m): 8:57pm On Nov 16, 2019
i
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by lukui: 9:01pm On Nov 16, 2019
Na God catch them, and the English self na pidgin den go dey vomit
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by tck2000(m): 9:59pm On Nov 16, 2019
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Nobody: 7:07am On Nov 17, 2019
Litmus:
South Africa should learn from Nigeria and produce lots of Zulu language movies on HIV, since the world needs to associate HIV with South Africa and the endemic nature of it among the population requires exploring. HIV’s suffering would make a wonderful study and since the West loves associating negativity with Africa, the producers are sure to win many honours

Nah SA is over that, HIV is not a big deal anymore

Make good quality movies thats it
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Romanoff(f): 3:07pm On Dec 13, 2019
babatunx:
Kennygee... you see wetin I dey talk bha?

She done deactivate her account na.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by edoairways: 1:59pm On Dec 15, 2019
stevebond007:
I think the International Community is trying to pass a message, they want to see us more through our own culture and LANGUAGE.

Producers shouldn't be scared to act in our own language,they should add SUBTITLES.

We are Africans not Europeans.

Its even badt that in most homes now, the KIDS don't speak their mother tongue,imagine Kids born and bred in West or East that can't speak a word of Yoruba/Ibo.

MISEDUCATION
Even if we produce movies in our mother tongue the international community would still complain or find fault the reason been that man's want are insatiable
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by urahara(m): 1:43pm On Feb 10, 2020
Isinweke:
Kaniwood can win this award

Kaniwood movies are too shitty.

Incredibly boring movies with terrible acting.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Nobody: 6:18pm On Feb 17, 2020
K

4 Likes 14 Shares

Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Bouncingbabyboy(m): 7:29pm On Apr 22, 2020
Romanoff:

She done deactivate her account na.
I noticed too cry Why she delete her account na cry
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Romanoff(f): 7:49pm On Apr 22, 2020
Bouncingbabyboy:
I noticed too cry Why she delete her account na cry

Too many mad people full here o.
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Bouncingbabyboy(m): 1:23am On Apr 23, 2020
Romanoff:

Too many mad people full here o.
that no man make she delete her account na......she be nairaland veteran oo cry
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Romanoff(f): 12:44pm On Apr 23, 2020
Bouncingbabyboy:
that no man make she delete her account na......she be nairaland veteran oo cry

This is Kennygee on another account.

cheesy
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Bouncingbabyboy(m): 5:54pm On Apr 23, 2020
Romanoff:

This is Kennygee on another account.
cheesy
i don't believe.......wooooow!!!! no no no i refuse to believe
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Romanoff(f): 6:57pm On Apr 23, 2020
Bouncingbabyboy:
i don't believe.......wooooow!!!! no no no i refuse to believe

Lol
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Bouncingbabyboy(m): 7:19pm On Apr 23, 2020
Romanoff:

Lol
Seun should protect old nairalanders!!!!!!!
Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Romanoff(f): 9:06pm On Apr 23, 2020
Bouncingbabyboy:
Seun should protect old nairalanders!!!!!!!

Na mad people full here pass jor

1 Like

Re: 'Joy' Rejected By Oscars Because Of Too Much English by Bouncingbabyboy(m): 12:37am On Apr 24, 2020
Romanoff:

Na mad people full here pass jor
True.....but the place sweet sha grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BBNaija: Lolu Kisses And Romances Anto Passionately / BBNaija: Meet Regina, Tobi Bakre's Rumored Girlfriend / Erica To Laycon: I’m Attracted To You, But Not Physically (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.