Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,124 members, 7,821,849 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants (22382 Views)

Whose Duty Is It? The Landlord Or The Tenants? / My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / My Landlord Served Me A Quit Notice And I Want To Know What What My Rights Are (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by safarigirl(f): 8:51am On Nov 13, 2019
realstars:
Going to court will be west of time, they will adjourn the hearing till bebuary 2020, then Your tenancy expected to expire by December, and you have 6 weeks to evacuate from now, think twice.
he can apply for an interim injunction

1 Like

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Hermionegranger(f): 8:51am On Nov 13, 2019
Simpubozz:
Please, lawyers in the house, i write to seek advice on this pressing issue.

Just of recent, we discovered the house where i rented a room has been sold. Though we have been hearing the rumor since last year but none of the landlords confirmed the rumor either through a letter or any other notification, not until today when a Tipper truck came to offload sand at entrance of the house.

The said house has been managed by Administrator General and Public Trustee of Lagos State over the years and this public Trustee department has been the one collecting rent. Again, they didn't not notify us through any formal means the intention to sell the property. Meanwhile, my rent will be due by December.

In as much as i don't have anything against the landlords selling the house, but i have these questions:

1. Shouldn't there be a prior and formal notification to sell the house?
2. Shouldn't there be a Quit Notice served to the tenants?
3. What step can i take to ensure my tenancy right is not cheated?
Please, your contribution is highly appreciated, because it seems they want to eject everybody out of the house in a very short time.

Mod please it will do me good if i can get more contributions by taking this to the front page. Thank you.
The former Landlord can sell his house at will without notifying tenants but if the new landlord doesn't want tenants to continue to occupy his premises, he must issue a quit notice first. If he tries to evict you before a notice is issued, take him to court. But since your rent is due in December, start looking for a new place. If you stay until your tenancy has expired you're not owed anything except a 7-day notice to vacate the premises

2 Likes

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by kingcalors(m): 8:51am On Nov 13, 2019
Pls I urgently need the services of a HUMAN RIGHT ACTIVIST LAWYER. Pls chat me up on WHATSAPP: 08033191977
Kanade21:

Simple, short and accurate advice.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by DemigodZeus147(m): 9:01am On Nov 13, 2019
Simpubozz:

Just of recent, we discovered the house where i rented a room has been sold. Though we have been hearing the rumor since last year but none of the landlords confirmed the rumor either through a letter or any other notification, not until today when a Tipper truck came to offload sand at entrance of the house.

The said house has been managed by Administrator General and Public Trustee of Lagos State over the years and this public Trustee department has been the one collecting rent. Again, they didn't not notify us through any formal means the intention to sell the property. Meanwhile, my rent will be due by December.

In as much as i don't have anything against the landlords selling the house, but i have these questions:

Please, your contribution is highly appreciated, because it seems they want to eject everybody out of the house in a very short time.

Mod please it will do me good if i can get more contributions by taking this to the front page. Thank you.

Calm down, no need to panic, the new owner will inherit you guys...Until rent expires.... Also, if in your agreement paper the term "One year certain" is not used, then you guys are entitled to 6months quit notice...... But if it is used, they can evict you in a month sef.

NB: I am not a lawyer ,but I seized the opportunity of attending a seminar organized by the lawyers Association in the Catholic Church I attend ,where they talked on "Tenant-landlord relationship "....It was worth it.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by BotherMleeper(m): 9:03am On Nov 13, 2019
Jalabase:
Hmm am coming

Good for you
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Stephendeals: 9:04am On Nov 13, 2019
safarigirl:

Which law did you pull this out of?

@OP, guy, they owe you notice to quit as long as you have a valid tenancy agreement with them. They cannot eject you ublawfully, however, you have not mentioned any plans to kick you all out. So, for now, just observe, pending when a proper notice is given you. Except they just want to run you guys out with subtle hints

In which case, you can sue. The tenancy laws in Lagos are incredibly advanced, and I would advice you make good use of it.
The OP said his rent expires by December? so what is the position of the tenancy law when the rent expires and the new owner decides to increase rent or plan to renovate the house?
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by AntiWailer: 9:06am On Nov 13, 2019
safarigirl:

Which law did you pull this out of?

@OP, guy, they owe you notice to quit as long as you have a valid tenancy agreement with them. They cannot eject you ublawfully, however, you have not mentioned any plans to kick you all out. So, for now, just observe, pending when a proper notice is given you. Except they just want to run you guys out with subtle hints

In which case, you can sue. The tenancy laws in Lagos are incredibly advanced, and I would advice you make good use of it.

Have they ejected him ?

They sold the house and I insist that they dnt owe him any notice that they want to sell their property.

No need wasting money on what is not.

What if they agree with the buyer that Tenants will see their rent contracts through ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Nobody: 9:11am On Nov 13, 2019
kingcalors:
Pls I urgently need the services of a HUMAN RIGHT ACTIVIST LAWYER. Pls chat me up on WHATSAPP: 08033191977

Sorry, I don't know any personally. Apologies.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by anonimi: 9:18am On Nov 13, 2019
Simpubozz:

Can you please clarify the two highlighted parts.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by safarigirl(f): 9:24am On Nov 13, 2019
Stephendeals:

The OP said his rent expires by December? so what is the position of the tenancy law when the rent expires and the new owner decides to increase rent or plan to renovate the house?
at the expiration of rent, he has to enter a new contract with the new owner, as he would have entered a new contract with the last one.

Landlords increase rent often, it isn't dependent on ownership

2 Likes

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by BluntBoy(m): 9:26am On Nov 13, 2019
Simpubozz:

I am not a lawyer, but my mom is. So, I have learnt a lot from her because I did venture into properties sometime in the past.

1. It is not mandatory for landlords to notify tenants that their rental home is up for sale. However, some landlords do inform their tenants and even arrange a meeting between tenants and the new landlord(s).

2. Even if Quit Notice are served, you will be given a minimum of 2 months if you have been in the house for at least 12 months (one year) to vacate the house. So, since your rent would be due by December, if the new landlord issues you a Quit Notice, you would only be expected to vacate the house by February, 2020. Supposing you are a new tenant who paid for 1 year and you have only spent a month, the new landlord cannot evict you until you have used the whole year you paid for together with 2-month Quit Notice grace.

3. You don't need any step to ensure your tenancy rights. Your rights are contained in the lease agreement. If you have your receipt, it is an evidence of a lease agreement; it clearly shows the tenancy period that you paid for, which is usually a year.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by chinebu(m): 9:32am On Nov 13, 2019
You are occupying one room. Hmmmmmm. Your rent expires in December. Next month. Hmmmmm and you are asking for what you want to do to the landlord. Ok.

I am just passing
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Hoodbilonia: 9:34am On Nov 13, 2019
The only way is stay at enu gate
Stay put for dia with men.
Do it the kabaka way...
They wee do it and i wee die..lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsTqjGhCl80

1 Like

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Stephendeals: 9:53am On Nov 13, 2019
safarigirl:
at the expiration of rent, he has to enter a new contract with the new owner, as he would have entered a new contract with the last one.

Landlords increase rent often, it isn't dependent on ownership

Thanks...If the new owner decides not to enter into a new contract as the previous owner, what are the implications both for the new owner and him?
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by telkevog(m): 9:56am On Nov 13, 2019
The terms and conditions in your Tenancy Agreement(if any) refers. You must be served a Notice to Quit of either 1, 3 or 6 months depending on if you are a monthly, 6 monthly or yearly tenant respectively, of which you will not pay, or you will be refunded in lue of tenancy.
But because some rich men has no respect for the law and may want to intimidate you, so I advice you to look for alternative accommodation now.

2 Likes

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by linearity: 10:37am On Nov 13, 2019
oluwaseyi000:
Keep staying in the house, don't pay rent in December and take the issue up with any one who ask you for rent

You can try passively looking for alternate house, you don't have much problem since your rent will soon expire but don't renew until all conditions are clarify

Very bad advice.

As a tenant non of the landlords own them any notice of explanation, they don’t have any rights in the transaction.

However, they are now the tenants of the new landlord and still protected under the rental laws, but if they with held rent, that is a cause for eviction and can see themselves fight a lost court battle to be thrown out.

Since, they now know that the house has been sold, the proper thing to do is to ask where to send their rents to now, but my guess is; the new owner will send them instructions with that details before the next rent due date.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by safarigirl(f): 10:40am On Nov 13, 2019
Stephendeals:

Thanks...If the new owner decides not to enter into a new contract as the previous owner, what are the implications both for the new owner and him?
the tenant will have to find a new apartment. The best the new owner can do is grant the an extension of time to find some place else, but that will be at their discretion

2 Likes

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by donprinyo(m): 11:04am On Nov 13, 2019
Na your house? Abeg, just finish ur rent and pack out peacefully or go beg new owner to give u more time to search for another place.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by renewable1(m): 11:28am On Nov 13, 2019
Hmmmmm

Affordable solar combo to power your TV, decoder, sound system and fan for 8hours daily... Check my signature now
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by awuf2008: 2:03pm On Nov 13, 2019
You dont need any front page, all you need is to pack your bags and moved out gently before they throw you out.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 13, 2019
This is why home ownership is the best investment in this country ... Zero housing/rents policy ...No mannnazzz
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Simpubozz(m): 3:04pm On Nov 13, 2019
flexyrule:
Assemble here if you thought the OP was the owner of the apartment he calls "my house"...

Am surprised that people are yet to understand how things are done in Nigeria. This place is a zoo, animal kingdom and lawless state. You should wait until the new owner starts demolishing "your house" with your stuffs inside. That's when you'll know this country no send nobody.
No go do Thanksgiving say your landlord no sell "your house" with the tenants.
lol, dont mind my caption jare, i was just tensed lol
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Simpubozz(m): 3:12pm On Nov 13, 2019
whatever the intention of the of the new landlord might be, i still think there should have been a formal notification by the former landlord in the case of any development as it affects the tenants. But no, they had to come and offload sand and block to obstruct the entrance of the house
linearity:

Very bad advice.

As a tenant non of the landlords own them any notice of explanation, they don’t have any rights in the transaction.

However, they are now the tenants of the new landlord and still protected under the rental laws, but if they with held rent, that is a cause for eviction and can see themselves fight a lost court battle to be thrown out.

Since, they now know that the house has been sold, the proper thing to do is to ask where to send their rents to now, but my guess is; the new owner will send them instructions with that details before the next rent due date.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Simpubozz(m): 3:23pm On Nov 13, 2019
Thank you
TGM2015:
Reading the headline, you don't have to worry, you are still entitled to required quit notice period.

I have read your post, first thing is, it is a good thing that you reside in Lagos that has working Tenancy Law. The second good thing is that the building is managed by registed trustee. So you are very sure that the quit notice period will be respected.

No the sand may be for renovation or additional structural, so do not stress yourself up on this. As the building is managed by a registered trustee, you including and willing tenants should cosign a letter addressed to the trustees seeking clarification on the suppose rumur and the sand offloading. Print two copies, submit them to the secretary and REQUEST for your acknowledged copy, make photocopies and give to others that co-sign with you. Wait for the their reply.

Personal advice, some rumours can be true to be ignore and abuse of powmer is very likely. So start savings and planning to move out of that building except they reply your letter on time. If thing turns out negative and earlier than expected, you will have the letter to fall on and request for compensation but no court will order your continuous stay in the house if the owner or administrator want you out.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Simpubozz(m): 3:31pm On Nov 13, 2019
chinebu:
You are occupying one room. Hmmmmmm. Your rent expires in December. Next month. Hmmmmm and you are asking for what you want to do to the landlord. Ok.

I am just passing
So... your point exactly??
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by chigoizie7(m): 3:33pm On Nov 13, 2019
Simpubozz:

Have you been asked to pack out?

Has your rent been increased?

Do you know the agreement between the previous owner, the new buyer and those managing the property?

We are just too forward.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Simpubozz(m): 3:41pm On Nov 13, 2019
Thank you. i have the receipt. So in the case where tenants have lived more than 7yrs, you mean the landlord can decide to do whatever he/she likes without notice and evict us impromptu??
BluntBoy:

I am not a lawyer, but my mom is. So, I have learnt a lot from her because I did venture into properties sometime in the past.

1. It is not mandatory for landlords to notify tenants that their rental home is up for sale. However, some landlords do inform their tenants and even arrange a meeting between tenants and the new landlord(s).

2. Even if Quit Notice are served, you will be given a minimum of 2 months if you have been in the house for at least 12 months (one year) to vacate the house. So, since your rent would be due by December, if the new landlord issues you a Quit Notice, you would only be expected to vacate the house by February, 2020. Supposing you are a new tenant who paid for 1 year and you have only spent a month, the new landlord cannot evict you until you have used the whole year you paid for together with 2-month Quit Notice grace.

3. You don't need any step to ensure your tenancy rights. Your rights are contained in the lease agreement. If you have your receipt, it is an evidence of a lease agreement; it clearly shows the tenancy period that you paid for, which is usually a year.

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by elyonchee(f): 4:14pm On Nov 13, 2019
Simpubozz:

The former owner should have addressed you guys. If your tenancy is still subsisting and the new owner needs his house he can serve you guys notice to quit or if he still needs you guys as tenants then at the expiration of your current one, a new tenancy agreement will be done. You can contact your former landlord for more enquiry.

1 Like

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by BluntBoy(m): 4:40pm On Nov 13, 2019
Simpubozz:
Thank you. i have the receipt. So in the case where tenants have lived more than 7yrs, you mean the landlord can decide to do whatever he/she likes without notice and evict us impromptu??

In my first post, I wrote that you must have spent at least 12 months.

12 months is the least. So, you are safe. You have spent at least 12 months.

And supposing you have not even spent 12 months but your rent is active, no one can evict you without at least a Quit Notice of 2 months grace.

1 Like

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Nobody: 4:42pm On Nov 13, 2019
realstars:
Going to court will be west of time, they will adjourn the hearing till bebuary 2020, then Your tenancy expected to expire by December, and you have 6 weeks to evacuate from now, think twice.

6 months, bro 6 weeks.
Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Nobody: 4:43pm On Nov 13, 2019
Kelvin30286063:
Hmm, you're leaving in December, have that at the back of your mind and start looking for house. There is no point making a biggie out of this.
Though what they did is wrong, but you really don't want to start spending money on lawsuit do you?
Like you said, the rumour have been on for over a year so you should have prepared for the inevitable somehow

U can't just find a house, it takes time.

They can easily get a 6 months quit notice, that's what the law requires.

1 Like

Re: My House Sold Without A Quit Notice To The Tenants by Nobody: 4:44pm On Nov 13, 2019
iammo:
cool

This is why i always tell people Real Estate businnes is a shitty investment

dealing with some entitled dingbat tenants would kill you easily

Is writing absolute nonsense also part of the reason ur paid 30k monthly?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Five Reasons Investing In Real Estate Is Better Than Saving In Te Bank. / Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away / High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.