Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,092 members, 7,953,328 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:23 PM

The Dangers Of Stereotyping - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Dangers Of Stereotyping (330 Views)

What Are The Dangers Of Marrying A Girl From Poor Family / The Dangers Of Youthful Exuberance / Sexual Harrassment: Feminism And The Dangers Of "Guilty Until Proven Innocent" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dangers Of Stereotyping by Nobody: 10:14am On Nov 15, 2019
Re:

I went to sit out at The Parliament few days ago, a gathering we call "Jude’s place" they call it that name because almost on daily basis people converge there to discuss several issues about our immediate society, the nation and the world in general.

I had hardly sat down and someone asked...

“ have you heard the latest?”
“No” I responded. “ what happened recently?”

I had not been to The Parliament for more than a week so I believed I had missed out on the latest information.

“hmmmmm” began XYZ(not real name), “ it happened last week o”

I knew he needed a little nudge to delve into the full cover story he had in mind for me, so I gave him the nudge he needed.

“So this my uncle’s son who is a military man went for NYSC, he was posted to Kogi state. While there he fell in love with a girl from Ugep, in Cross River State”

“ I know Ugep” I said, “ It is the largest village in Africa”

I declared from my perceived knowledge of geography and current affairs.

I had more to say about Ugep, but my friend was more enthusiastic about his story so I allowed him hold the floor while adjusting myself for the latest story.

“So, after NYSC , his dad wanted him to get married. His dad is a military man, very wealthy and he is the only son, that was why his father wanted him to get married immediately after his NYSC.

Now, my uncle’s son had taken his girlfriend home and my uncle liked her.

After NYSC, the boy decided to go and meet the lady's parent in Ugep so as to tell them his intentions to marry her. He went and was well entertained by his would-be in-laws.

When it was nightfall, his in-law told him he is not allowed to sleep in their house until they have completed all marital rites and they become in-laws
so he would take him to his friend’s place where he would sleep.

You can’t imagine where the lady's father took the guy to.

He took him to a place unknown and did not return till the wee hours of the morning.

On seeing his father return, the lady started asking where her groom-to-be was and after much effort she got to her dad’s friend’s house and saw them eating and feasting as if there was a celebration the night before.

When she started asking questions, she discovered they had killed her fiancé and had him sliced to pieces, boiled, oiled spiced-up, served and eaten.
You know Ugep people are cannibals right?”

I was Stunned!!!

“Ikwo people also eat human beings” another person at the Parliament interjected.

“Anambra men are ritualists” another person who I guess is either from Ikwo or from Ugep blurted out angrily.

“Edo people are prostitutes, Calabar people are sex addicts, Akwa Ibom people are wicked…” “Akwa people are only good to be cooks, gatemen and drivers” the list is endless.

We need to stop stereotyping people.
The truth is that it does no good for humanity to have a prejudiced and undiluted view about people from other ethnic groups than ours.

At the end of the day, when I started asking pertinent questions about the fictitious story I was told, it turned out that the story about a man being eaten up was a mere figment of the imagination of an individual.

I have heard on several cases that if a person’s vehicle breaks down in Ugep and he sleeps over, under the cover of darkness, that person would be killed and eaten.

The stories have been so vivid that one would believe it is true. However, as an individual, I have visited the place and have passed several nights there on different occasions and I am still alive.

People have said several things about people of other ethnic groups but when you get to meet the people from that region, you get to realize that they are totally different from the preconceived notions.

Let us come back and realize that we are all humans first. People are people. People have their different idiosyncrasies and may act out based on their beliefs. It would be wiser to give people equal chances and place them on the same pedestal.

What is the difference between us today who because of our prejudice against people of a particular ethnic group, we treat them with disdain and Adolf Hitler who killed millions of Jews just because he believed the Germans should be the greatest race on earth and that the Jews were holding them back from achieving their dreams?

I read about a study recently which found a genetic link between people that spans across different continents. This means as an individual, you have ancestors who are from Russia, Iraq, America, Brazil, Netherlands and many more.

Now, if there is such a link across continents, how much more will there be link among people from the same country?

Let us drop our tribal sentiments and embrace people for who they are. Let us drop racism and judge each individual by the content of their character and not by virtue of their ancestry.

We did not choose where we came from and we are not more important than the person from the other side of town.

Whether we like it or not, we are one. We can overcome any challenge when we come together, we need each other and no person is more important than the other. Let us drop our sentiments and see people from other ethnic groups as we see ourselves.

Let us please drop the ethnic bias, prejudice and sentiments and judge people based on the contents of their character.

Re: The Dangers Of Stereotyping by Blakjewelry(m): 10:26am On Nov 15, 2019
that is Nigeria for you, everybody wants to claim their own is the best forgetting that everybody has flaws and at the end to the day, it comes down to individuals and not their place of origin
Re: The Dangers Of Stereotyping by Nobody: 10:35am On Nov 15, 2019
Blakjewelry:
that is Nigeria for you, everybody wants to claim their own is the best forgetting that everybody has flaws and at the end to the day, it comes down to individuals and not their place of origin
true
Re: The Dangers Of Stereotyping by donbachi(m): 10:51am On Nov 15, 2019
Like Hausas must either be soldiers,gatemen,shoemakers,own small kiosks or cattle rearers
Re: The Dangers Of Stereotyping by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 15, 2019
donbachi:
Like Hausas must either be soldiers,gatemen,shoemakers,own small kiosks or cattle rearers
lol

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Girl Who Is Ready For Marriage / Why Do Nigerians Assume That Because You Dress Nicely Then Your Life Is Great? / Zambians Never Talk Down About Their Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.