Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs (21474 Views)

Adjusted USD Rate For Car Clearing By Customs / How To Bid For Cars On Nigerian Customs Service E-Auction Website / Join The Fastest Growing Car Dealers Group On Whatsapp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by Crixxx: 7:06pm On Nov 19, 2019
SalamRushdie:

So because you saw an assembly line and a couple of pneumatic wrenches used to bolt together the knocked down components and probably some mould stamps installed by BAIC you thought he was a manufacturer? cheesy cheesy cheesy. That's Automobile assembly and it's far different from manufacturing . A manufacturer start handles his own vehicle from conception to R&grin to sketching to clay modelling to wind tunneling and conception then to eventual commercial production ..

We don't need to be conversing like illiterates..

Watch the video and help yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d_O5RUZLLE

Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by Aarenaija: 7:11pm On Nov 19, 2019
What's the issue with this government?
What was the customs doing when they brought the cars from the port?

This give rent is really pushing the masses to the edge. I am sorry for them.
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by mcvities(m): 7:14pm On Nov 19, 2019
Hoodbilonia:
I dare u to drive to east. Ore would humble u.
Road checkpoint 18

Why did you mention only the East, Does this mean that a car that the custom duty has not being paid can be driven freely before Ore but immediately it wants to cross Ore, it will be impounded?

Also, the cars heading to the northern part of the country, do they pass through Ore, if they don't, where do they pass? And is there a Road Check Point like the one you mentioned in your post. I really need to understand and unravel some things.

I was traveling from Lagos to the East and when we got to somewhere around Benin, custom officers were stopping different vehicles, asking and checking if they were carrying rice. I asked myself why we were not stopped before this point and does it mean, you are free to carry and eat this so called rice before this point?

Too many questions begging for answers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by vineyardfarms: 7:18pm On Nov 19, 2019
mfm04622:

Customs officials collected bribes in their private capacities. The custom official are closing their shops in their official capacities. Don't mix them up! Do the crime, do the time!
THANK YOU. WHO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTATION FOR RELEASE WITH THE AMOUNT TO BE PAID? CUSTOMS. WHO COLLECTED PAYMENT? CUSTOMS. WHO ISSUE RELEASE? CUSTOMS. THE UNDER PAYMENT PAPER TRACE GUIDE THE DIRECTOR TO DO IN HOUSE CLEANSING TO RESTORE SANITY. BY THE WAY I AM REFERING TO CUSTOMS OFFICERS - NOT CUSTOM
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by SalamRushdie: 7:20pm On Nov 19, 2019
Crixxx:

We don't need to be conversing like illiterates..

Watch the video and help yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d_O5RUZLLE

A Wikipedia post? For real ? Oga Innoson assembles and Rebadges BAIC vehicles in Nigeria .I don't know what you are forcing
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by Crixxx: 7:22pm On Nov 19, 2019
SalamRushdie:

So because you saw an assembly line and a couple of pneumatic wrenches used to bolt together the knocked down components and probably some mould stamps installed by BAIC you thought he was a manufacturer? cheesy cheesy cheesy. That's Automobile assembly and it's far different from manufacturing . A manufacturer start handles his own vehicle from conception to R&grin to sketching to clay modelling to wind tunneling and conception then to eventual commercial production ..

This is manufacturing..
You should also ask for blacksmithing department where they bent the irons..

Nigga travel visit factories and companies..

Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by Crixxx: 7:24pm On Nov 19, 2019
SalamRushdie:

A Wikipedia post? For real ? Oga Innoson assembles and Rebadges BAIC vehicles in Nigeria .I don't know what you are forcing

Innoson is a manufacturer I'm giving you words and not forcing you. You are entitled to your opinion me, the government, citizens and media know he is a vehicle manufacturer . your opinion doesn't matter
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by Crixxx: 7:25pm On Nov 19, 2019
SalamRushdie:

There are videos there too. If you want more links just ask..
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by Crixxx: 7:26pm On Nov 19, 2019
SalamRushdie:

You can also visit his plastic industry.. Forget what you see online nigga travel and see for yourself
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by SalamRushdie: 7:28pm On Nov 19, 2019
Crixxx:

There are videos there too. If you want more link just ask..

I saw the video , that's a classic assembly line in motion ..Don't worry Innoson will one day get to the stage of his own car but for now he is an assembler for BAIC motors China ...Even BAIC started as an assembler for Mercedes-Benz products in China
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by Crixxx: 7:36pm On Nov 19, 2019
SalamRushdie:

I saw the video , that's a classic assembly line in motion ..Don't worry Innoson will one day get to the stage of his own car but for now he is an assembler for BAIC motors China ...Even BAIC started as an assembler for Mercedes-Benz products in China

Stop lying to your self thats no assembly line..

Rebadged vehicles are different from complete knock down kits... As you said, he imports kdc and that's is a total lie..
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by legalwealth(m): 7:39pm On Nov 19, 2019
9jatriot:
They should go and pay the custom duties before selling the cars. They want to sell the cars without paying the required custom duties so that unsuspecting car buyers will be stopped along Benin road and made to go and pay the required sum. I support custom holding dealers responsible rather than individuals who confidently go around thinking the dealers have paid their duties.

Dope contribution! !!
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by aspiring44: 7:41pm On Nov 19, 2019
9jatriot:
They should go and pay the custom duties before selling the cars. They want to sell the cars without paying the required custom duties so that unsuspecting car buyers will be stopped along Benin road and made to go and pay the required sum. I support custom holding dealers responsible rather than individuals who confidently go around thinking the dealers have paid their duties.

I don't think is the case .
A classical example
I cleared a 2010 toyota for a customer who happens to be a car dealer and he did request full duty should be paid on it and I did exactly what he wanted .He emphasized the car is for end user and mostly when the car is cleared they drive it down to Jos. Having paid full duty .Alas custom officer stopped them on the way and the driver has to call me saying they stopped him that actual duty was not paid couple with the fact the driver had another security u agent sitting beside him in the car. At the end of the day , the officer said what i used in getting the car out of the port , the same should apply to hin and at the end of the day he was bribed with 30k to allow them go .A lot of instances like that . When vehicles or consignment has been duly cleared from the port and it went through proper channel of clearance . I see no reason why over zealous officers has to go after such vehicle or consignment .

What the custom ought to do is give the car dealers DN (debit not) to pay the differentials on already cleared vehicles

What is the essence of valuation from custom?

What is the essesnce of CPC. central processing unit ?

what is the essence of Inspection acts?

What is the essence of releasing at the gate ?

What is the essence of gate control ?

And they have template which is the standard use in valuation .

You can always do a background check to know exact duty paid on a vehicle .its very simple

1 Like

Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by SalamRushdie: 7:41pm On Nov 19, 2019
Crixxx:

Stop lying to your self thats no assembly line..

Rebadged vehicles are different from complete knock down kits... As you said, he imports kdc and that's is a total lie..

Seems Innoson na your in-law ooo cheesy
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by chronique(m): 8:07pm On Nov 19, 2019
9jatriot:

Stop sounding like an idiot. 95% of the cars being locked up in car lots all came from the apapa wharf and were duly cleared and released by customs(they have exit notes to show they came out of the Lagos ports). You can't get your car out of the port after clearing without obtaining an exit note. Question you should be asking is how come cars that were duly inspected and cleared by customs officials to leave the port, are being held for not having duties.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by Crixxx: 8:08pm On Nov 19, 2019
SalamRushdie:

Seems Innoson na your in-law ooo cheesy

Its not an in-law thing.. Me that have been to the factory I know a lot about vehicles as I am an automobile and aeronautic fanatic..if not that im having network issues i would have typed alot accompanied with pictures but this baic thing didn't start today . because his cars are baic's look alike many think he assembles them which is false. Ivm is a partner with baic and for real that of IvM are manufactured. If that isn't manufacturing then I wonder what it is to you... Assembling is totally different from what IVM does... Even some car manufacturers manufacture just seats and others out sourced.. In as much as i know innoson doesnt have his designers yet or he still depends on baic designs i kmow he will get there soon.. But IVM is a manufacturing company Check the link you'll read more https://www.quora.com/What-do-car-manufacturers-really-make-in-cars

The picture below is also a manufacturing plant. Probably you don't still believe its a manufacturing plant because you haven't seen them balancing chemical equations and carrying out experiments with the chemicals yet..

IVM will get there, yes we know!.

Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by erico2k2(m): 8:09pm On Nov 19, 2019
9jatriot:
I have been wondering why this has not happened a long time ago but now I know why, land border close, no more revenue as usual so the now pounce on the easy meat the car mart.
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by erico2k2(m): 8:10pm On Nov 19, 2019
chronique:

Stop sounding like an idiot. 95% of the cars being locked up in car lots all came from the apapa wharf and were duly cleared and released by customs(they have exit notes to show they came out of the Lagos ports). You can't get your car out of the port after clearing without obtaining an exit note. Question you should be asking is how come cars that were duly inspected and cleared by customs officials to leave the port, are being held for not having duties.
And how did you come to the conclusion that these cars came fru Apapa Port and not throug Land borders?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by erico2k2(m): 8:13pm On Nov 19, 2019
aspiring44:

I don't think is the case .
A classical example
I cleared a 2010 toyota for a customer who happens to be a car dealer and he did request full duty should be paid on it and I did exactly what he wanted .He emphasized the car is for end user and mostly when the car is cleared they drive it down to Jos. Having paid full duty .Alas custom officer stopped them on the way and the driver has to call me saying they stopped him that actual duty was not paid couple with the fact the driver had another security u agent sitting beside him in the car. At the end of the day , the officer said what i used in getting the car out of the port , the same should apply to hin and at the end of the day he was bribed with 30k to allow them go .A lot of instances like that . When vehicles or consignment has been duly cleared from the port and it went through proper channel of clearance . I see no reason why over zealous officers has to go after such vehicle or consignment .

What the custom ought to do is give the car dealers DN (debit not) to pay the differentials on already cleared vehicles

What is the essence of valuation from custom?

What is the essesnce of CPC. central processing unit ?

what is the essence of Inspection acts?

What is the essence of releasing at the gate ?

What is the essence of gate control ?

And they have template which is the standard use in valuation .

You can always do a background check to know exact duty paid on a vehicle .its very simple
Your driver was scammed or the car was under-declared, if you pay your full duty as at when then you got no dealings with them boys on teh road!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by erico2k2(m): 8:15pm On Nov 19, 2019
SalamRushdie:

you lot keep making this clasic mistake btw assembly and manufacture. Name one car maker who makes its whole part from tyres to Engine to Electronics and sound system. name one.The Almighty Range rover sport gear box is made by teh Germans!
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by SalamRushdie: 8:17pm On Nov 19, 2019
erico2k2:

you lot keep making this clasic mistake btw assembly and manufacture. Name one car maker who makes its whole part from tyres to Engine to Electronics and sound system. name one.The Almighty Range rover sport gear box is made by teh Germans!

Oga Innoson assembles BAIC cars ..let's not do this again
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by erico2k2(m): 8:22pm On Nov 19, 2019
SalamRushdie:

Oga Innoson assembles BAIC cars ..let's not do this again
He imports raw materials to asseble his cars.You tell me howmany parts do Land rover Uk produce in theri SUV?
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by SalamRushdie: 8:22pm On Nov 19, 2019
erico2k2:

Name one car maker who gets his complete vehicle from another carmakers model line up and just changes the name ..if it was so Range rover will just take Toyota landcruiser parts assemble and just add their name na
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by chronique(m): 8:23pm On Nov 19, 2019
erico2k2:

And how did you come to the conclusion that these cars came fru Apapa Port and not throug Land borders?

I know because my office was sealed along with all my colleagues selling vehicles. The customs would just drive to your lot and tell you they are sealing it based on order from above and that you should take the documents of your cars to their FOU. They don't inspect your papers before locking up your lot. When you get there, they'd start telling you that you did not pay complete duty at the port when clearing the vehicles. The money we pay for clearing is usually based on the valuation the customs give to the cars. Ask them why they cannot make clearing of cars transparent in a manner where the actual duty to be paid on each car is listed online and you can see it from the comfort of your living room. At the port, there's no exact amount that is set as a standard fee for each vehicle. Whatever you are given as Valuation is what you pay based on.
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by aspiring44: 8:23pm On Nov 19, 2019
erico2k2:

Your driver was scammed or the car was under-declared, if you pay your full duty as at when then you got no dealings with them boys on teh road!

It was not under- declared .

Some importers pay full duty on letter of credit transaction and FOU still stop them . why ?

Why all these happen is because either the agent / importer are always in a hurry to go , in the case of container . But if you are so sure of what you have done they will be the one to succumb . Most at times they have their way
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by SalamRushdie: 8:28pm On Nov 19, 2019
erico2k2:

He imports raw materials to asseble his cars.You tell me howmany parts do Land rover Uk produce in theri SUV?

Car makers like plane makers get different parts from different part makers but according to their specification from their ideation to conceptualization to sketching to clay modelling to wind tunneling to building and testing a concept then getting approvals to producing a commercial product it's not the same thing as going to China looking for finished products from BAIC and shipping them as KDCs to assemble and rebadge here ..every model of car Innoson sells is a known BAIC model in China the only thing that changes is the name because BAIC allows people rebadge their cars if you want

Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by Nobody: 8:42pm On Nov 19, 2019
kaffy4tope:
Naija and Hypocrisy sha! Imagine dealers on here keeping their eyes off the post as if they were not affected.

Now I understand why the country is still where it is .

Nigerians are good in , " Suffering and Smiling "..

Clearing agents will collect N1.8m to clear a car and divert N1.3m and pay only N500k yet documents will still pass through a desk of a govt. official who will release thesame car that it's duty was underpaid.

Later they come to seal car Mart.

They have killed all the businesses in Nigeria. The only business still surviving in Nigeria is being a GOVT WORKER or POLITICIAN.

Corruption Fighters.
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by Nobody: 8:46pm On Nov 19, 2019
9jatriot:

You don't know much, stop acting like you do.

Have you heard of dubious clearing agents colluding with corrupt officers to release vehicles with underpaid duty to importers ?
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by erico2k2(m): 8:52pm On Nov 19, 2019
SalamRushdie:

Name one car maker who gets his complete vehicle from another carmakers model line up and just changes the name ..if it was so Range rover will just take Toyota landcruiser parts assemble and just add their name na
I think you should realy go to Inosin car plant and see 4 yourselves, there's a hip load of assumptions coming from you,Try and go see for yourself how he is trying by his own effort to limit the %of import to his brand.YOu do realise he is only missing a Press then he is down to almost 40% import?if you are talking Engines then thats a whole lot of another Issue.From your narrative, i thin you are talking more about the Body structure of teh car!
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by erico2k2(m): 8:58pm On Nov 19, 2019
aspiring44:

It was not under- declared .

Some importers pay full duty on letter of credit transaction and FOU still stop them . why ?

Why all these happen is because either the agent / importer are always in a hurry to go , in the case of container . But if you are so sure of what you have done they will be the one to succumb . Most at times they have their way
This is terrible like you said if everything was done by the book tehn you can stick ur leg in mod with them
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by dotedote: 9:35pm On Nov 19, 2019
9jatriot:

You obviously don't know what's going on. The customs aren't closing the lots because the vehicles aren't having genuine papers. They're closing them up after collecting the papers on every vehicle on the lot and now tell them to come to their office for the results of verification exercise (that would be done on their server). After the collection of these papers, they lock up the car lots and place the FG sticker. Now the owners of the locked companies visit customs office at Ikeja and are told to come back, that it's not yet their turn. They ask for bribe for their documents to be verified faster and still, nothing is done.
You can imagine someone who brought all his vehicles into the country through TinCan port going through all this. IT'S SO PATHETIC.
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by 9jatriot(m): 10:00pm On Nov 19, 2019
Thanks for the enlightenment without resulting to insults like one chronique. Anyway, I will be lying if I said I understand how the ports and clearing operate. My comment is however based on the experiences of people who buy cars and go away with the belief that they have full duties paid only to be stopped on the road by customs and their cars impounded.
Most of the time, you see them making frantic calls to whoever they bought the car from but end up paying the duty to get their car whereas the car dealer no longer cares since he has sold the car already. There was even a news report as recent as a day or 2 days before of fraudulent clearing agents.
Like you said, I do not know what is going on, my comment was based on the side of the elephant I was touching.
dotedote:

You obviously don't know what's going on. The customs aren't closing the lots because the vehicles aren't having genuine papers. They're closing them up after collecting the papers on every vehicle on the lot and now tell them to come to their office for the results of verification exercise (that would be done on their server). After the collection of these papers, they lock up the car lots and place the FG sticker. Now the owners of the locked companies visit customs office at Ikeja and are told to come back, that it's not yet their turn. They ask for bribe for their documents to be verified faster and still, nothing is done.
You can imagine someone who brought all his vehicles into the country through TinCan port going through all this. IT'S SO PATHETIC.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Weeknd Starboy Album Download Zip. / Reg 2005 Toyota Solara / How To Export Car From Usa And Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.