Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,688 members, 7,955,580 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:41 AM

Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs - Autos (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs (21587 Views)

Adjusted USD Rate For Car Clearing By Customs / How To Bid For Cars On Nigerian Customs Service E-Auction Website / Join The Fastest Growing Car Dealers Group On Whatsapp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by 9jatriot(m): 10:08pm On Nov 19, 2019
Hmmmm, always good to hear from the other size. So what you are telling me is that a customs officer can decide on the road that a person did not pay the full duty even though they were the ones who told you the full duty to pay and you did not under declare?
aspiring44:

I don't think is the case .
A classical example
I cleared a 2010 toyota for a customer who happens to be a car dealer and he did request full duty should be paid on it and I did exactly what he wanted .He emphasized the car is for end user and mostly when the car is cleared they drive it down to Jos. Having paid full duty .Alas custom officer stopped them on the way and the driver has to call me saying they stopped him that actual duty was not paid couple with the fact the driver had another security u agent sitting beside him in the car. At the end of the day , the officer said what i used in getting the car out of the port , the same should apply to hin and at the end of the day he was bribed with 30k to allow them go .A lot of instances like that . When vehicles or consignment has been duly cleared from the port and it went through proper channel of clearance . I see no reason why over zealous officers has to go after such vehicle or consignment .

What the custom ought to do is give the car dealers DN (debit not) to pay the differentials on already cleared vehicles

What is the essence of valuation from custom?

What is the essesnce of CPC. central processing unit ?

what is the essence of Inspection acts?

What is the essence of releasing at the gate ?

What is the essence of gate control ?

And they have template which is the standard use in valuation .

You can always do a background check to know exact duty paid on a vehicle .its very simple
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by Kennyswagzz: 11:00pm On Nov 19, 2019
SalamRushdie:

You sound like innoson is not also importing ? Does innoson make any car ?
I thought you guys said innoson is a manufacturing company?
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by adebayoggt(m): 7:19am On Nov 20, 2019
9jatriot:
They should go and pay the custom duties before selling the cars. They want to sell the cars without paying the required custom duties so that unsuspecting car buyers will be stopped along Benin road and made to go and pay the required sum. I support custom holding dealers responsible rather than individuals who confidently go around thinking the dealers have paid their duties.

You're ignorant of the dealings in the business. The custom determines the value of any car brought into the country. They charge arbitrarily and dealers bring their vehicles in through Nigerian port.The same custom are also the ones that accuse you of undercharging.
Custom is custom's problem. Their problem is internal,they should leave the citizens alone.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by adebayoggt(m): 7:22am On Nov 20, 2019
9jatriot:
Hmmmm, always good to hear from the other size. So what you are telling me is that a customs officer can decide on the road that a person did not pay the full duty even though they were the ones who told you the full duty to pay and you did not under declare?

YES!!!
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by dotedote: 4:10pm On Nov 20, 2019
You're welcome Bro
That which you've mentioned is called Underpayment of customs duties. This is when your customs agent didn't pay up to the recommended amount (into FG's account). This however, is mostly caused by the greedy nature of the agent. For instance, you're clearing a Toyota Corolla 2004 at the port and your agent tells you it's 420k. This 420k is a summation of every payment he's going to make to the necessary quarters (including his own service charge) So underpayment appears in the payment he makes to the bank into Customs Account. That's the one customs see on the road and start their wahala.
NOTE: Your car cannot be permanently impounded by law under this circumstance. You can only pay the balance (that'll be mentioned to you AT THE CUSTOMS OFFICE & INTO FG's customs account)

9jatriot:
Thanks for the enlightenment without resulting to insults like one chronique. Anyway, I will be lying if I said I understand how the ports and clearing operate. My comment is however based on the experiences of people who buy cars and go away with the belief that they have full duties paid only to be stopped on the road by customs and their cars impounded.
Most of the time, you see them making frantic calls to whoever they bought the car from but end up paying the duty to get their car whereas the car dealer no longer cares since he has sold the car already. There was even a news report as recent as a day or 2 days before of fraudulent clearing agents.
Like you said, I do not know what is going on, my comment was based on the side of the elephant I was touching.
Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by vivaciousvivi(f): 5:15pm On Nov 20, 2019
9jatriot:
They should go and pay the custom duties before selling the cars. They want to sell the cars without paying the required custom duties so that unsuspecting car buyers will be stopped along Benin road and made to go and pay the required sum. I support custom holding dealers responsible rather than individuals who confidently go around thinking the dealers have paid their duties.
You are getting some things wrong here though. Most of the affected dealerships were for brand new automobiles. About 3 Sundays ago, Customs swarmed and locked up dealerships. It affected major dealers like Stallion and Elizade as well. Some of them had complete duties paid. They didn't smuggle them in. They just wanted them all to come back and start declaring their assets as opposed sending their staff to do e-checks individually. It was strange.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Automobile Dealers Protest Sealing Of Their Businesses By Customs by Yampotatocarrot(m): 7:59pm On Nov 26, 2019
Crixxx:

We don't need to be conversing like illiterates..

Watch the video and help yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d_O5RUZLLE

Waoh, I watched this video from the beginning to the end. THANKS FOR POSTING THIS, I REALLY APPRECIATE

It kinda gave me a sense of pride knowing this was being done in Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

August 1,2014: Deal Of The DAY **2000 Mercedes-benz M-class - ONLY SOLDDDDDDDD** / 1st EVER. Custom company in NAIJA we customise Cars See Pics / 2011 Model Toyota Avalon Xls Toks Full Option

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.