Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,328 members, 7,819,120 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category (51194 Views)

Wizkid Loses To Angélique Kidjo In Best World Music Album Category / Grammy Awards: Billie Eilish Sweeps Five Awards, Sets New Record / Grammy 2020 Awards: Burna Boy's Fans Support Him Over Angelique Kidjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by udemzyudex(m): 2:19pm On Nov 21, 2019
Tonymegabush1:
Na to download her music make i hear wettin she too dey sing........ shocked

I don watch one of her music video,I no really like her kind of music though but she dey try.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by joe4christ(m): 2:20pm On Nov 21, 2019
Never heard of this woman Mehn!

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by ujezeez(m): 2:20pm On Nov 21, 2019
no problem if he does not win the award. His nomination is worth celebrating.I pray he wins....burna to the the world.

6 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by King44(m): 2:21pm On Nov 21, 2019
Officialgarri:

You know nothing Jon Snow
he knows nothing but I am positive he would win

But kijo factor sha

4 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Horlami4u(m): 2:21pm On Nov 21, 2019
Burna Boy wins the award or not. For him to be nominated means he as done great job.... wishing him best of luck

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by CoolAmbience(m): 2:21pm On Nov 21, 2019
beresponsible:
Wetin she dey sing sef? Oyinbo can dance to anything. Burna na master

Nor talk am again make people no come think say dem born you for early 2000s.

You fit talk say you prefer Burna, since music na about preference, but make I tell you, dem nor be mate.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by TemmyT002(m): 2:22pm On Nov 21, 2019
Music was invented by the Yoruba people
So if you have Yoruba blood, you can do exploits in music.

10 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by jayson87: 2:23pm On Nov 21, 2019
beresponsible:
Wetin she dey sing sef? Oyinbo can dance to anything. Burna na master
Hope you are aware burna boy's anybody song was her own original masterpiece. Just for your education

She originally owns burna's anybody

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by bigtt76(f): 2:23pm On Nov 21, 2019
I thought I was the only one who saw this ....Angelique Kidjo is a formidable competitor and her songs are mostly in local dialect unlike BurnaBoy. We might likely see a repeat of what happened to Lionheart movie

LifestyleTonite:
The news currently getting Nigerians excited is the Grammy Awards nomination of African Giant album by Burna Boy.

Burna Boy got nominated for Best World Music Album.

Best World Music Album:

Gece — Altin Gün
What Heat — Bokanté & Metropole Orkest Conducted By Jules Buckley
African Giant — Burna Boy
Fanm D’ayiti — Nathalie Joachim With Spektral Quartet
Celia — Angelique Kidjo

While many Nigerians believe he would bring the award home, no one seems to be taking into consideration the competition against him.

Right about now, his biggest competition from Africa is Angelique Kidjo who has been nominated nine times and won 3 times.

Two out of the three awards she has won came from the Best World Music Album category, while the third award was gotten from the Best Contemporary World Music Album category.

Asides the fact that she has won the award three times, Angelique Kidjo has had a successful year in music. She has shut down many top European and American concert arenas with awesome live performances.

Some of the concert arenas she shut down this year:

Royal Albert Hall

Elbphilharmonie in Hambourg

Auditorium Parco della Musica – Roma

Villa Arconati – Milano

Carrington at Kongsberg jazz festival, Norway

Her concert schedule sees her preparing to perform in more top European and American auditoriums. With all these, it is quite clear that it won’t be a walk in the park for Burna Boy.

Below are pictures from her concerts as found on her Instagram Page .

https://wotzup.ng/why-angelique-kidjo-is-burna-boys-biggest-threat-in-grammy-awards-category/

2 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by hotwax: 2:23pm On Nov 21, 2019
But the woman na yoruba na..Nigerians shouldn't feel bad

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by jayson87: 2:23pm On Nov 21, 2019
joe4christ:
Never heard of this woman Mehn!
Ori ori ooo.. olajumoke lo

she sang it

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by JayPeeOham: 2:23pm On Nov 21, 2019
BURNA BOY IS WINNING THIS AWARD!!!

U can take it to the bank!!!! tongue

Where are all my BURNA fans, let's gather here and take some selfie grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Studyinchina200(m): 2:24pm On Nov 21, 2019
Burna Boy featured her on his new African Giant album.

Checkout Burna Boy ft Angelique kidjo and Damian Marley.

Tonymegabush1:
Na to download her music make i hear wettin she too dey sing........ shocked

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by hotwax: 2:25pm On Nov 21, 2019
udemzyudex:

I don watch one of her music video,I no really like her kind of music though but she dey try.

Go for wobolobo on google

9 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by KennyWest3(m): 2:25pm On Nov 21, 2019
Guys did you know Burna boy drew his inspiration for his hit song "Anybody" from one of Angelique Kidjo's old song...

I think the title is Ewe Ewe ( not sure)

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Studyinchina200(m): 2:25pm On Nov 21, 2019
Burna Boy featured her on his new African Giant album.

Checkout Burna Boy ft Angelique kidjo and Damian Marley.

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 21, 2019
Burna boy is finished...these woman will just illuminate him smoothly

3 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Tonymegabush1(m): 2:26pm On Nov 21, 2019
udemzyudex:

Really, another angle we/they should consider is creativity and art work burna seems to have captured alot of mind with what he showed to the world....

4 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Anazp: 2:27pm On Nov 21, 2019
Angelique's tribute to Cuban singer Celia Cruz was released on April 19, 2019. It is produced by David Donatien and featured Tony Allen ,
Meshell Ndegeocello and the Gangbe Brass Band . The Guardian has called the album "magnificent" [20] and The Financial Times gave it 5 stars.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by blowjohn(m): 2:28pm On Nov 21, 2019
LifestyleTonite:
The news currently getting Nigerians excited is the Grammy Awards nomination of African Giant album by Burna Boy.

Burna Boy got nominated for Best World Music Album.

Best World Music Album:

Gece — Altin Gün
What Heat — Bokanté & Metropole Orkest Conducted By Jules Buckley
African Giant — Burna Boy
Fanm D’ayiti — Nathalie Joachim With Spektral Quartet
Celia — Angelique Kidjo

While many Nigerians believe he would bring the award home, no one seems to be taking into consideration the competition against him.

Right about now, his biggest competition from Africa is Angelique Kidjo who has been nominated nine times and won 3 times.

Two out of the three awards she has won came from the Best World Music Album category, while the third award was gotten from the Best Contemporary World Music Album category.

Asides the fact that she has won the award three times, Angelique Kidjo has had a successful year in music. She has shut down many top European and American concert arenas with awesome live performances.

Some of the concert arenas she shut down this year:

Royal Albert Hall

Elbphilharmonie in Hambourg

Auditorium Parco della Musica – Roma

Villa Arconati – Milano

Carrington at Kongsberg jazz festival, Norway

Her concert schedule sees her preparing to perform in more top European and American auditoriums. With all these, it is quite clear that it won’t be a walk in the park for Burna Boy.

Below are pictures from her concerts as found on her Instagram Page .

https://wotzup.ng/why-angelique-kidjo-is-burna-boys-biggest-threat-in-grammy-awards-category/

OP concert pictures can't prove how good an artist is or how good an album is. Even a picture of Nas or Jay Z singing in a room would sell faster than Soulja Boy rapping inside a stadium.
I agree with u on some of ur points but take note that the Grammyz always love a fresh new air that's worth their time.
Alternative rock albums were always close to winning the award of album of the year( the most prestigious of the awards) until Arcade Fire album, 'the suburbs,' won it and it won against veterans like Lady Gaga and Eminem.
Also, pound for pound, burna boy's album is unarguably one of the greatest Nigerian albums of this modern era.
The grammyz know quality when they hear one so let's keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.
Finally: this category of best world album has had the likes of the kutis nominated several times too.
If u ask me, I think burna boy's African Giant as a cohesive, yet diverse body of songs beats those of the kutis.

13 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Monaco2(m): 2:29pm On Nov 21, 2019
When I saw her name I was like chai grin cause she is actually quite famous n much more famous than burna but I pray that this time around our own giant will win

9 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Iamgrey5(m): 2:29pm On Nov 21, 2019
The half Fon half Yoruba from Benin republic.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Anazp: 2:29pm On Nov 21, 2019
blowjohn:

OP concert pictures can't prove how good an artist is or how good an album is. Even a picture of Nas or Jay Z singing in a room would sell faster than Soulja Boy rapping inside a stadium.
I agree with u on some of ur points but take note that the Grammyz always love a fresh new air that's worth their time.
Alternative rock albums were always close to winning the award of album of the year( the most prestigious of the awards) until Arcade Fire album, 'the suburbs,' won it and it won against veterans like Lady Gaga and Eminem.
Also, pound for pound, burna boy's album is unarguably one of the greatest Nigerian albums of this modern era.
The grammyz know quality when they hear one so let's keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.
Finally: this category of best world album has had the likes of the kutis nominated several times too.
If u ask me, I think burna boy's African Giant as a cohesive, yet diverse body of songs beats those of the kutis.Angelique's tribute to Cuban singer Celia Cruz was released on April 19, 2019. It is produced by David Donatien and featured Tony Allen ,
Meshell Ndegeocello and the Gangbe Brass Band . The Guardian has called the album "magnificent" [20] and The Financial Times gave it 5 stars.
Angelique's tribute to Cuban singer Celia Cruz was released on April 19, 2019. It is produced by David Donatien and featured Tony Allen ,

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Davoneskay(m): 2:29pm On Nov 21, 2019
udemzyudex:

Listen to her Wombolombo, Agolo, Ewa K'ajo, Black Ivory Soul, Salala, Wele Wele, Babalao, We are one, Yemandja, Naima, etc.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Davoneskay(m): 2:29pm On Nov 21, 2019
E go too surprise me if Burna win this woman.

6 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Morenikeji070: 2:30pm On Nov 21, 2019
Lol lolz we all know the winner already.

4 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nerosoft19(m): 2:30pm On Nov 21, 2019
I really don't care about the competition but I know burnaboy has made me believe in the power of dreams. He did a remake of Angelique kidjos wombolobo when he was still upcoming fast foward to African giant when he actually featured her. He's said it multiple times that he's heading for a Grammy. The power of his dream will materialize it.
~Destiny you can't touch my destiny

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by sholay2011(m): 2:32pm On Nov 21, 2019
STILESGANG:
The award can go to know anyone.If you think having a nomination makes you an automatic winner then you don’t know nothing
you don't know anything or you know nothing.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by livebyday(m): 2:32pm On Nov 21, 2019
safarigirl:
We know she is his biggest threat, but what is the point of winning, if the competition is weak?

Burna Boy is the new age of African music, and possibly the youngest Nigerian act from Nigeria to get a nomination this century. He did it without being snuck into an international artiste's album or song. This is his original work and just being a Grammy nominee will boost his CV.

I doubt Angelique won it at her first go anyway

Yes she is good

But that Celia album she is nominated for isn't so good to me, best I would rate it is 4/5 while I would rate African giant 5/5

Why ? Most songs in the Celia album are mostly reworked salsa tributes of the late Celia , after the first 5 tracks I got bored , yes she added African spins to all but still not enough to keep me

But African giant is a journey into the surreal world of afro fussion , it's like an LSD trip

Cheers

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Davoneskay(m): 2:33pm On Nov 21, 2019
KennyWest3:
Guys did you know Burna boy drew his inspiration for his hit song "Anybody" from one of Angelique Kidjo's old song...

I think the title is Ewe Ewe ( not sure)
It was 'We We'

2 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nobody: 2:34pm On Nov 21, 2019
Officialgarri:

You know nothing Jon Snow
abeg tell am, he's obviously an indomie set of kids

3 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 21, 2019
I remember wombo lombo. Off to look for this Celia album

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Worst Lines Ever Used By Musicians In Songs / Who Is The Most Underrated Artiste In The Nigerian Music Industry? / "One Corner" Dance Hits Nigeria (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.