Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category (51187 Views)

Wizkid Loses To Angélique Kidjo In Best World Music Album Category / Grammy Awards: Billie Eilish Sweeps Five Awards, Sets New Record / Grammy 2020 Awards: Burna Boy's Fans Support Him Over Angelique Kidjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by brainhgeek(m): 3:05pm On Nov 21, 2019
Angelique has been trending since the 90s. She is as ageless as her music......she also has a Nigerian root.
Just for the sake of those asking who Angelique is. She also popularized the folklure song 'ori Ori o, olajumoke no, olajumoke, olajumoke nlo'. [b][/b]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by madampresident(f): 3:07pm On Nov 21, 2019
I wish Burna wins but I don't see him winning.

2 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by livebyday(m): 3:08pm On Nov 21, 2019
[s]
sangresan:

That's your own opinion...For me, Burna Boy bores me with his tasteless music....

[/s]
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by QuintessentialW: 3:08pm On Nov 21, 2019
safarigirl:
We know she is his biggest threat, but what is the point of winning, if the competition is weak?

Burna Boy is the new age of African music, and possibly the youngest Nigerian act from Nigeria to get a nomination this century. He did it without being snuck into an international artiste's album or song. This is his original work and just being a Grammy nominee will boost his CV.

I doubt Angelique won it at her first go anyway

You're a darling through and through! kiss

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nobody: 3:08pm On Nov 21, 2019
burna even featured her on his album, but i think burna will win it because its a new genre of music ( afrobeat) to be nominated in that category.

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Litmus: 3:09pm On Nov 21, 2019
Without prejudice, Burna would win, but Nigerians must always factor in prejudices against them the more popular they become. I know Nigerians do not like this type of thinking since we dismiss such thoughts as carrying unnecessary complexes, but I’m trying to be brave in making these points. To put it simply and politely, French influence will always work against Nigerian interest when Nigerians compete against French West Africans for international/global positions likewise the English will back East Africans against Nigerians unless the Nigerian in questions is too unassailable. America may be fairer to Nigerians but blacks like Nigerians are subconsciously threatening to the world and even blacks are unconsciously susceptible to these biases since they invariable see the world, without realising, it through white eyes. In short, judgment may not be objective and may boil down to sentiments that resent Burnaboy for being too popular, winning here and there and threatening the music genre status quo. He is not a safe and patroniseable African like Angelique.

4 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by blowjohn(m): 3:11pm On Nov 21, 2019
Anazp:
look kidjo is beating burna to it. burna even sampled her song we we almost a whole verse on anybody.

Ain't saying Burna will win. Am saying his album is a very strong contender.
Again sampling someone else's song don't mean nothing.
Puff daddy sampled some lines from Grand master flash ' the message' but ended up producing a better album.
In Jay Z and Justin Timberlake song holy grail, some lines from the then rock band Nirvana's song, 'smells like teen spirit, ' was sampled but jayz ended up making a fantastic album. It's about Who u respect, not who u think is better than u.
Don't forget Jay Z sampling nas song 'dead presidents' too.
That was just respect bro.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by iamDrRhymes(m): 3:12pm On Nov 21, 2019
Grammy award is for musicians- people who are skilled composers, songwriters, and instrumentalists. Grammy is not for freestyle artistes; not for people that sample other people's work or artistes with incoherent lyrics like the Nigerian pop artistes except for a handful that Burna boy is not part of. Burna boy does good music to some extent though but Agelique Kidjo is a musician, Grammy is for musicians and that's why Grammy is called an academic award.

I have been following the Grammies for years now, I will tell you that I was surprised to see burna boy on that list (no hating please, am just being academic and practical here). But incase Burna boy wins, then the standard for winning was reduced. Gaskia!

13 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by thedio(m): 3:15pm On Nov 21, 2019
morikee:
Oluwa Burna who be this one wey i no know her seff
she is a Yoruba woman from Benin

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by IJEYdiamond(f): 3:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
beresponsible:
Wetin she dey sing sef? Oyinbo can dance to anything. Burna na master

You dont know who she is... hmmm do your research well.

2 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Kaymaxine(m): 3:19pm On Nov 21, 2019
Everybody has forgotten that this same woman is one of the co-producer and co-writers on his "African giant" album!!!
When it comes to awards like the Grammys,being nominated alone is like winning!!!
This is not headies BTW!!!
If he doesn't win this time,his name is already on the map!!!
Take that to the bank!!!

6 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by baby124: 3:20pm On Nov 21, 2019
Hmmm... love Angelique but rooting for Burna!

4 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by micxwell(m): 3:20pm On Nov 21, 2019
Anazp:
kidjo is definitely winning this. burna even sampled her ok his anybody song.
You owe me a bottle of wine if Burna wins grin cheesy ...
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by IkemChris(m): 3:20pm On Nov 21, 2019
beresponsible:
Bros wetin you dey hear sef? You no know who Kidjo be? My guy BB no smell her for music in Africa oooo. That woman be the only resources wey Benin republic get oooo

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Reussite: 3:24pm On Nov 21, 2019
All things been equal Angelique Kidjo should win this fair & square cos her musical content are quality. Burna obviously is better than Wizzy & Davido in that regard hence having his first nomination & NGRs would be wishing he wins it but sentiments can't win awards now can it?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Kenzboi1(m): 3:24pm On Nov 21, 2019
Burna will still win
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by blowjohn(m): 3:25pm On Nov 21, 2019
iamDrRhymes:
Grammy award is for musicians- people who are skilled composers, songwriters, and instrumentalists. Grammy is not for freestyle artistes; not for people that sample other people's work or artistes with incoherent lyrics like the Nigerian pop artistes except for a handful that Burna boy is not part of. Burna boy does good music to some extent though but Agelique Kidjo is a musician, Grammy is for musicians and that's why Grammy is called an academic award.

I have been following the Grammies for years now, I will tell you that I was surprised to see burna boy on that list (no hating please, am just being academic and practical here). But incase Burna boy wins, then the standard for winning was reduced. Gaskia!

Stop there.
Again I say stop there!
Mumford and sons who won album of the year years ago infact did a cover of Simon and Garfunkel's classic song 'the boxer' and the album was nominated for grammys.
Jay-Z and Justin Timberlake holy grail was nominated and they sames lines from nirvana's smells like teen spirit.
I can go on and on about artists sampling other people's songs or even doing covers and still being nominated.
By the way am sure u heard about how drake doesn't write some of his songs but yet gets nominations every freaking year.
Well, in the Hip Hop world it's a big deal but outside its nothing.
Many people have written songs for great artists like Beyonce and Rihanna.

That's why credits are given when due to the writer/composer.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by erekere(m): 3:28pm On Nov 21, 2019
That's cos u ar a kiddo
morikee:
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Caseless: 3:28pm On Nov 21, 2019
morikee:
imdomie generation!
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by KenMosi: 3:29pm On Nov 21, 2019
4 bedroom bungalow mansion for SALE in ONITSHA.Asking price is 16 million naira, call/chat with the owner on whatsapp via 09032290584 to get more details and pictures of the house.

The house is a 4 mansion bungalow, it has 2 sitting rooms, all the bedrooms has toilet/bathroom, it has a big kitchen with store, the bigger sitting room has a toilet, the compound has 3 block dog cages and a parking store and generator house with an overhead tank.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by ajl: 3:29pm On Nov 21, 2019
beresponsible:

Really? Angela Kidjo, you really do not know music. You think it's that trash sang by most of Nigerian musicians. She is a veteran anyway. I am sure she would prefer Burna Boy to win this time. She is a true child of Africa with a lot of originality and African culture portrayed in her music/videos.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by ajl: 3:32pm On Nov 21, 2019
Our pride shouldn't be whether a Nigerian or African artist win the Grammy or not. This is part of what the western world use to dominate other cultures. Elevate your mindset. Africans make better music than them. Africa is the home of rhythms.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by sammyonal: 3:32pm On Nov 21, 2019
Officialgarri:

You know nothing Jon Snow
she is a legend if u don't know, burna boy nah baby for her side.

2 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by safarigirl(f): 3:33pm On Nov 21, 2019
LifestyleTonite:

@bold

Grammy Awards doesn't consider all of those when it comes to giving the award to a winner. The voting is not even done by fans who would consider all you listed. It is done by music executives and insiders who are totally musically inclined. They know quality when they see one. Yes, Burna Boy is quality, but he can't be compared to Angelique Kidjo, except we want to use Nigerian sentiment, a thing these voters don't use. Burna Boy would win the award based on politics. But on talent and achievement internationally in this year alone, Angelique Kidjo has this locked down.

The fact that he is listed in the same category as she is, means somebody in the committee, or a group of people, think he can be compared to her.

Do You know how many artistes they must have considered, before Burna made such an elite list? Nobody is taking away Angelique's achievements, but just like with the Coachella issue that birthed the title name of Burna's album, some of you simply refuse to acknowledge Burna's brilliance.

And you don't need to run me through how the voting is done. I did not say Burna is better than Angelique, and except you are on the committee, you can't say what the members will consider.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 21, 2019
KennyWest3:
Guys did you know Burna boy drew his inspiration for his hit song "Anybody" from one of Angelique Kidjo's old song...

I think the title is Ewe Ewe ( not sure)
damn Burna
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by OlawaleBammie: 3:35pm On Nov 21, 2019
safarigirl:
We know she is his biggest threat, but what is the point of winning, if the competition is weak?

Burna Boy is the new age of African music, and possibly the youngest Nigerian act from Nigeria to get a nomination this century. He did it without being snuck into an international artiste's album or song. This is his original work and just being a Grammy nominee will boost his CV.

I doubt Angelique won it at her first go anyway

A bn dey tink here..... wetin he wan use the CV dogringringrin

Maybe we should rather call it profile...

2 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 21, 2019
Grace001:
She is indeed a big threat, She isn’t new to Grammy
She won 3!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Samuels90: 3:36pm On Nov 21, 2019
sharone21:
Who is still comparing a cub to a LIONESS in music?.....Angelique Kidjo mama any day!
Damn, Cubs grow to become Lion/Lioness!... Bottom to the top!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Samuels90: 3:38pm On Nov 21, 2019
sammyonal:
she is a legend if u don't know, burna boy nah baby for her side.
Baby becomes Adult, You didn't just get here, she didn't just get here, she grew, Burna is growing... Burna can win it.

4 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nobody: 3:39pm On Nov 21, 2019
jayson87:
Hope you are aware burna boy's anybody song was her own original masterpiece. Just for your education

She originally owns burna's anybody
Haaa shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Top 5 Most Underrated Artist In Nigeria (opinion) / The Worst Lines Ever Used By Musicians In Songs / Who Is The Most Underrated Artiste In The Nigerian Music Industry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.