Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,807 members, 7,817,343 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category (51178 Views)

Wizkid Loses To Angélique Kidjo In Best World Music Album Category / Grammy Awards: Billie Eilish Sweeps Five Awards, Sets New Record / Grammy 2020 Awards: Burna Boy's Fans Support Him Over Angelique Kidjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nobody: 3:40pm On Nov 21, 2019
bigtt76:
I thought I was the only one who saw this ....Angelique Kidjo is a formidable competitor and her songs are mostly in local dialect unlike BurnaBoy. We might likely see a repeat of what happened to Lionheart movie

Burna dey sing in Pidgin na undecided
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by OROSUNBOLB(m): 3:41pm On Nov 21, 2019
Angelique Kidjo,omo Yoruba from Benin republic.

3 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by iamDrRhymes(m): 3:41pm On Nov 21, 2019
blowjohn:

Stop there.
Again I say stop there!
Mumford and sons who won album of the year years ago infact did a cover of Simon and Garfunkel's classic song 'the boxer' and the album was nominated for grammys.
Jay-Z and Justin Timberlake holy grail was nominated and they sames lines from nirvana's smells like teen spirit.
I can go on and on about artists sampling other people's songs or even doing covers and still being nominated.
By the way am sure u heard about how drake doesn't write some of his songs but yet gets nominations every freaking year.
Well, in the Hip Hop world it's a big deal but outside its nothing.
Many people have written songs for great artists like Beyonce and Rihanna.

That's why credits are given when due to the writer/composer.

Please note that Grammy is a US award and not a universal award, you can find any American on the list for doing something average just the way you can find Small Doctor on headies list (he even has an headies self) but Grammy is more competitive and more strict for an African artist from inside Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by sammyonal: 3:44pm On Nov 21, 2019
blowjohn:

OP concert pictures can't prove how good an artist is or how good an album is. Even a picture of Nas or Jay Z singing in a room would sell faster than Soulja Boy rapping inside a stadium.
I agree with u on some of ur points but take note that the Grammyz always love a fresh new air that's worth their time.
Alternative rock albums were always close to winning the award of album of the year( the most prestigious of the awards) until Arcade Fire album, 'the suburbs,' won it and it won against veterans like Lady Gaga and Eminem.
Also, pound for pound, burna boy's album is unarguably one of the greatest Nigerian albums of this modern era.
The grammyz know quality when they hear one so let's keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.
Finally: this category of best world album has had the likes of the kutis nominated several times too.
If u ask me, I think burna boy's African Giant as a cohesive, yet diverse body of songs beats those of the kutis.
u don't know what u re saying.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by MoIbrahim: 3:45pm On Nov 21, 2019
morikee:
Oluwa Burna who be this one wey i no know her seff

You don't know Angelique Kidjo?
Feom her days of Wombolombo till now she's been far into films and songs

2 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by OyiboOyibo(m): 3:45pm On Nov 21, 2019
Officialgarri:
You know nothing Jon Snow
Burna can't win now... Nigerian factor will affect him
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by OyiboOyibo(m): 3:46pm On Nov 21, 2019
Burna can't win for now.... Maybe later in his career
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nobody: 3:49pm On Nov 21, 2019
yobozee:
Burna boy is finished...these woman will just illuminate him smoothly
The mama is a veteran...
They should create separate awards for veterans jo..

That woman will fry anybody!!!

Ori ori o olajumoke n lo... shocked shocked shocked

3 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by webngnews: 3:49pm On Nov 21, 2019
hmmm
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by fk001(m): 3:50pm On Nov 21, 2019
jayson87:
Hope you are aware burna boy's anybody song was her own original masterpiece. Just for your education

She originally owns burna's anybody

Burna boy even featured her with Darmian Marley.

Song title "Different "

2 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Illuminatus(m): 3:54pm On Nov 21, 2019
beresponsible:
Wetin she dey sing sef? Oyinbo can dance to anything. Burna na master

I laugh in Agolo!

4 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Illuminatus(m): 3:54pm On Nov 21, 2019
beresponsible:
grin i prefer Burna
Maybe. But the RCA will more likely prefer Kidjo...

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Illuminatus(m): 3:56pm On Nov 21, 2019
STILESGANG:
The award can go to know anyone.If you think having a nomination makes you an automatic winner then you don’t know nothing

People with very limited knowledge about awards making profound declarations. �

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by salford: 3:56pm On Nov 21, 2019
sharone21:
Who is still comparing a cub to a LIONESS in music?.....Angelique Kidjo mama any day!
yes. she was even invited to sing for the world leaders at the last armistice commemoration in Paris

Upsets do happen, underdogs can win, so burna stands a chance.

4 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by owoshuyi(m): 4:01pm On Nov 21, 2019
The guy doesn't know her because na of one of these Millenials

Tapout:

[b]hahaha..... bro u really have no idea who that lady is. Go and google her name and check her award list, where and on what stages/audience she has performed on/to.

I really want burna to bring this award home tho.
[/b]
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by salford: 4:04pm On Nov 21, 2019
nkemdi89:
This egun woman abeg allow burna boy win , that was how you and brenda falsie blocked femi chances .
Her dad is fon and mum is Yoruba. Egun are a different tribe lol
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Dicktionary: 4:05pm On Nov 21, 2019
When I saw Angelique Kigjo on that List I smiled and Smh for Burna Boy.

I was live in Villa Arcotani "Milano" when she performed and the Whites are Madly Obsessed with her Music. They see her as the true Face of Afrikaana Music. I even stated this on a Post yesterday.

Burma Boy winning these Award add nothing, he is still an African Giant, But I hope he Win but that MAMA na Living Legend and the number one Contender but anything can Happen sha!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nobody: 4:06pm On Nov 21, 2019
beresponsible:

I absolutely love Burna Boy and both the crazily unique, and the Fela vibes that he brings, the whole African bossing that he does and I hope he wins the award this time
But, Madam Kidjo is everything music, everything powerful, everything beautiful, everything authentic about Africa
Burna Boy is in mightily good company here
Study her, and come back and respect her accordingly

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by samsam2019: 4:10pm On Nov 21, 2019
beresponsible:
you can praise Burna without marking yourself as an 1mbecile.

3 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Babacele: 4:13pm On Nov 21, 2019
wishing them luck.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Babacele: 4:13pm On Nov 21, 2019
Anybody worth her salt can win a Grammy but it depends on the creativity in your words, rendition and acts to convince Grammy voting team to vote your work. Angelique kidjo speaks original afrobeat unique to her and loved by cosmopolitan folks while Oluwa Burna is unique too and trying to hetch his name on the global musical stage through his Afrobeat experiments . So let us wait for Grammy to determine their fates but the odds favour Angelique; but for being nominated at all shows that Burna has something to offer. God bless Africa.

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nobody: 4:15pm On Nov 21, 2019
Lol these Oyinbos are smart; the Grammys ratings have fallen in the USA. Only few people watch the sh!t anymore consequence of over politicization and Donald Trump bashing; now they have run outside to bring mumus to get excited about their nonsense. Still wishing Burna a win though.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nobody: 4:16pm On Nov 21, 2019
obinna58:
They're no match, she's far talented
She is a Legend!!!
It is like Wizkid vs Whitney(late) contesting for an award undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Budline1(m): 4:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
blowjohn:

Ain't saying Burna will win. Am saying his album is a very strong contender.
Again sampling someone else's song don't mean nothing.
Puff daddy sampled some lines from Grand master flash ' the message' but ended up producing a better album.
In Jay Z and Justin Timberlake song holy grail, some lines from the then rock band Nirvana's song, 'smells like teen spirit, ' was sampled but jayz ended up making a fantastic album. It's about Who u respect, not who u think is better than u.
Don't forget Jay Z sampling nas song 'dead presidents' too.
That was just respect bro.

You sabi. Sad Nas isn't even having a Grammy yet.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by MichaelSokoto(m): 4:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
morikee:
Oluwa Burna who be this one wey i no know her seff
confaaaaam indomie generation spotted!

grin
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nobody: 4:21pm On Nov 21, 2019
QuintessentialW:

You're a darling through and through! kiss
She is not a darling, she is a writer and therefore knows about different subjects.. angry

Leave my safarigirl alone!!! undecided
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by quintessence007(f): 4:26pm On Nov 21, 2019
beresponsible:
grin i prefer Burna
you don't know music plus you must be way too young

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by saajus: 4:26pm On Nov 21, 2019
Yes her mum from Iseyin, Oyo state but her dad is Beninoise. The whole world know her as Beninoise
hotwax:
But the woman na yoruba na..Nigerians shouldn't feel bad

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Melanyn(m): 4:26pm On Nov 21, 2019
And b4 we forget Burna Boy featured her on his album...
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 21, 2019
Wow!!!
Burna Boy is on a good track by the way..

If he continues like this, he will be well rated ahead of all the Boobs and Ass musicians!! !

2 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by ScotMisile: 4:35pm On Nov 21, 2019
Burna may upset the convention, who knows. But, Angelique kidjoe is a threat because burna may have never used a literate live band in all of his performances.

During his tours, Concerts, if he hasn't performed with a literate live band, then his chances are slim.

Nigerian musicians are known not to be literate and they don't use live bands. .. Nigerians need to change this concept.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Syaire7: 4:37pm On Nov 21, 2019
Today's fixed correct score game is available, just Dm or Whatsapp, Congratulations to all my lucky subscribers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Top 5 Most Underrated Artist In Nigeria (opinion) / The Worst Lines Ever Used By Musicians In Songs / Who Is The Most Underrated Artiste In The Nigerian Music Industry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.