Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category (51186 Views)

Wizkid Loses To Angélique Kidjo In Best World Music Album Category / Grammy Awards: Billie Eilish Sweeps Five Awards, Sets New Record / Grammy 2020 Awards: Burna Boy's Fans Support Him Over Angelique Kidjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by mozezajene: 2:35pm On Nov 21, 2019
yea..she is
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Ramos16(m): 2:37pm On Nov 21, 2019
beresponsible:
Wetin she dey sing sef? Oyinbo can dance to anything. Burna na master

You just showed your ignorance, Angelique Kidjo is light years ahead of any Nigerian artist in terms of achievements, maybe only Fela can even compete

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Frankiss44(m): 2:37pm On Nov 21, 2019
E be like say na only me just dey hear of this woman for the first time oh.. Anyway, even though burna boy nor win am, getting nominated alone is a plus to his fast rising career.. Do you know how many successful musicians that haven't even gotten a nomination in Grammy??

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Moradeyo95: 2:41pm On Nov 21, 2019
joe4christ:
Never heard of this woman Mehn!
she sang ori ori oo olajunmoke nlo...u must have heard dat song back in d 90s

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by blowjohn(m): 2:41pm On Nov 21, 2019
Anazp:
Angelique's tribute to Cuban singer Celia Cruz was released on April 19, 2019. It is produced by David Donatien and featured Tony Allen ,
Meshell Ndegeocello and the Gangbe Brass Band . The Guardian has called the album "magnificent" [20] and The Financial Times gave it 5 stars.

The same the Guardian that just gave cold play's new album that's about to be released in the US tomorrow a mixed review. A cold play album that's better than their previous 4 albums.

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by HBB1(m): 2:42pm On Nov 21, 2019
joe4christ:
Never heard of this woman Mehn!

Indomie o!
Indomie generation!

15 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by BlackBovi: 2:42pm On Nov 21, 2019
LifestyleTonite:
The news currently getting Nigeria News excited is the Grammy Awards nomination of African Giant album by Burna Boy.

Burna Boy got nominated for Best World Music Album.

Best World Music Album:

Gece — Altin Gün
What Heat — Bokanté & Metropole Orkest Conducted By Jules Buckley
African Giant — Burna Boy
Fanm D’ayiti — Nathalie Joachim With Spektral Quartet
Celia — Angelique Kidjo

While many Nigerians believe he would bring the award home, no one seems to be taking into consideration the competition against him.

Right about now, his biggest competition from Africa is Angelique Kidjo who has been nominated nine times and won 3 times.

Two out of the three awards she has won came from the Best World Music Album category, while the third award was gotten from the Best Contemporary World Music Album category.

Asides the fact that she has won the award three times, Angelique Kidjo has had a successful year in music. She has shut down many top European and American concert arenas with awesome live performances.

Some of the concert arenas she shut down this year:

Royal Albert Hall

Elbphilharmonie in Hambourg

Auditorium Parco della Musica – Roma

Villa Arconati – Milano

Carrington at Kongsberg jazz festival, Norway

Her concert schedule sees her preparing to perform in more Naija top European and American auditoriums. With all these, it is quite clear that it won’t be a walk in the park for Burna Boy.

Below are pictures from her concerts as found on her Instagram Page .

https://wotzup.ng/why-angelique-kidjo-is-burna-boys-biggest-threat-in-grammy-awards-category/
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by dm2019(m): 2:45pm On Nov 21, 2019
STRICTLY FOR NIGERIANS.

How would you feel should your child gets a Private, National or International Scholarship or Grants?

We have database of Government agencies, Companies, Parliamentarians, Philanthropists and NGOs that sponsors education.

For N2,000 we will help apply and
also recommend you for any of these..

° National Scholarships: for students in Primary,Secondary, polytechnic and University.

°State Bursary: for students in Polytechnics and Universities.

° International Grants: for student and non-Student.

NB: EDUCATION SPONSORSHIP STARTS JANUARY 2020.

For Further enquiries, Contact:

DM Concept Ltd.
(+234) 816-250-4225
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by good4all40: 2:46pm On Nov 21, 2019
No one mention that she is one of cast of the movie THE CEO directed by Kunle Afolayan go and re-watch the movie she played her role very well.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Anazp: 2:49pm On Nov 21, 2019
blowjohn:

The same the Guardian that just gave cold play's new album that's about to be released in the US tomorrow a mixed review. A cold play album that's better than their previous 4 albums.
look kidjo is beating burna to it. burna even sampled her song we we almost a whole verse on anybody.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by 360command: 2:51pm On Nov 21, 2019
angry
beresponsible:
you are a typical anglophile . When the francophones says that an anglophile is "blocage Mentale" ,this is what they mean.

Boy, you need to wake up and start hearing songs out of the "English" speaking zone and embrace other people's music as well learn to accept it is good.

3 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by alberson(f): 2:51pm On Nov 21, 2019
Angelique Kidjo is not burna boy mate musically, burna boy even copied her wombo Lobo song in his first album....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by DavSagacity(m): 2:52pm On Nov 21, 2019
beresponsible:
Keep "kwayet" indomie generation. How many of Angelina's songs have u listened to. ?? Go and listen to her songs and come back to comment

5 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by micxwell(m): 2:52pm On Nov 21, 2019
Anazp:
Angelique's tribute to Cuban singer Celia Cruz was released on April 19, 2019. It is produced by David Donatien and featured Tony Allen ,
Meshell Ndegeocello and the Gangbe Brass Band . The Guardian has called the album "magnificent" *[20]* and The Financial Times gave it 5 stars.

Did you copy this from somewhere because you didn't remove the citation number

4 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nobody: 2:52pm On Nov 21, 2019
Who asked for your opinion?
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by obinna58(m): 2:52pm On Nov 21, 2019
They're no match, she's far talented
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by ThothHermes: 2:52pm On Nov 21, 2019
All the nominees are Africans

Which kind Grammy be this?

Quota system

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Wallade(m): 2:52pm On Nov 21, 2019
I have a strong feeling that Burna boy will win this award. African Giant is an exceptional album.

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by AntiWailer: 2:53pm On Nov 21, 2019
Burna got certificate for being the first to shut down a particular Arena.

Burna boy will win it. This is his year
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by DavSagacity(m): 2:53pm On Nov 21, 2019
Ramos16:

You just showed your ignorance, Angelique Kidjo is light years ahead of any Nigerian artist in terms of achievements, maybe only Fela can even compete
beresponsible:
Keep "kwayet" indomie generation. How many of Angelina's songs have u listened to. ?? Go and listen to her songs and come back to comment
Ramos16:

beresponsible:
Keep "kwayet" indomie generation. How many of Angelina's songs have u listened to. ?? Go and listen to her songs and come back to comment. Yea. U sabi. only fela

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by useurkidney3121: 2:54pm On Nov 21, 2019
beresponsible:
Indomine generation won't know what she's singing

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by LifestyleTonite: 2:55pm On Nov 21, 2019
safarigirl:
We know she is his biggest threat, but what is the point of winning, if the competition is weak?

Burna Boy is the new age of African music, and possibly the youngest Nigerian act from Nigeria to get a nomination this century. He did it without being snuck into an international artiste's album or song. This is his original work and just being a Grammy nominee will boost his CV.

I doubt Angelique won it at her first go anyway

@bold

Grammy Awards doesn't consider all of those when it comes to giving the award to a winner. The voting is not even done by fans who would consider all you listed. It is done by music executives and insiders who are totally musically inclined. They know quality when they see one. Yes, Burna Boy is quality, but he can't be compared to Angelique Kidjo, except we want to use Nigerian sentiment, a thing these voters don't use. Burna Boy would win the award based on politics. But on talent and achievement internationally in this year alone, Angelique Kidjo has this locked down.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by micxwell(m): 2:56pm On Nov 21, 2019
Mama is good no doubt. But even mama should leave this for her baby na; because I'm sure Kidjo's first child will be far older than Burna.
Mama has got nothing to prove to us all anymore. And again if Burna wins, it's a win for Mama as well because she's on the album.

7 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by oluwapoju(m): 2:57pm On Nov 21, 2019
Moradeyo95:
she sang ori ori oo olajunmoke nlo...u must have heard dat song back in d 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlgESq5FAx4

2 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by olexjay(m): 2:58pm On Nov 21, 2019
Wow! I've been hearing her songs for so long but I never have the idea of her name to be "Angelique Kidjo" indeed the woman is a big threat to Burna, I just wish Burna wins the award.

2 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Anazp: 2:58pm On Nov 21, 2019
micxwell:

Did you copy this from somewhere because you didn't remove the citation number
yes it's from Wikipedia

4 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Ramos16(m): 2:59pm On Nov 21, 2019
DavSagacity:
Keep "kwayet" indomie generation. How many of Angelina's songs have u listened to. ?? Go and listen to her songs and come back to commentKeep "kwayet" indomie generation. How many of Angelina's songs have u listened to. ?? Go and listen to her songs and come back to comment. Yea. U sabi. only fela

Lool, why are you quoting me? You and I seem to be on the same page on how good she is, please read well before spewing rubbish.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by micxwell(m): 3:00pm On Nov 21, 2019
Anazp:
yes it's from Wikipedia
I thought as much.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by majamajic(m): 3:01pm On Nov 21, 2019
morikee:
Oluwa Burna who be this one wey i no know her seff

I can easily guess your age now !!

4 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by sangresan(m): 3:01pm On Nov 21, 2019
livebyday:

Yes she is good

But that Celia album she is nominated for isn't so good to me, best I would rate it is 4/5 while I would rate African giant 5/5

Why ? Most songs in the Celia album are mostly reworked salsa tributes of the late Celia , after the first 5 tracks I got bored , yes she added African spins to all but still not enough to keep me

But African giant is a journey into the surreal world of afro fussion , it's like an LSD trip

Cheers

That's your own opinion...For me, Burna Boy bores me with his tasteless music....

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Anazp: 3:03pm On Nov 21, 2019
micxwell:
I thought as much.
kidjo is definitely winning this. burna even sampled her ok his anybody song.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by robotix: 3:03pm On Nov 21, 2019
Officialgarri:

You know nothing Jon Snow
that guy na kid. even Burna no go talk for where she dey lol

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Top 5 Most Underrated Artist In Nigeria (opinion) / The Worst Lines Ever Used By Musicians In Songs / Who Is The Most Underrated Artiste In The Nigerian Music Industry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.