Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category - Music/Radio (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category (51193 Views)

Wizkid Loses To Angélique Kidjo In Best World Music Album Category / Grammy Awards: Billie Eilish Sweeps Five Awards, Sets New Record / Grammy 2020 Awards: Burna Boy's Fans Support Him Over Angelique Kidjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Omotaday(m): 7:32pm On Nov 21, 2019
I know her, she even starred in the movie Oct 1st by Kunle Afolayan.

I have listened to Yemoja, Babalao , wombo lombo and Agolo. She is really good.

Her Yoruba is kinda different. She is a legend, but i still tip Burna to win this.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Burgerlomo: 7:35pm On Nov 21, 2019
daxclusive1:
Hmmmm. I smell a big heartbreak for burna

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided embarassed embarassed

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Carlyboi(m): 7:37pm On Nov 21, 2019
Zoroaster:
correct.. I feel his previous album "outside" is better
believe me man!does African giant have more traditional or African roots or flavor than 9ice’s gongo Aso album
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Seun360(m): 7:39pm On Nov 21, 2019
Burna should forget it.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Mccullum: 7:59pm On Nov 21, 2019
Anjelique Kidjo is Yoruba lady and citizen of Benin Republic, so she's still one of us while Burna Boy is complete Nigerian and is a new artist as that will have boost his music career more if he can win the award because A. Kidjo has won Grammy Award 3 times if I'm not wrong.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by amaridigital(m): 8:02pm On Nov 21, 2019
hotwax:
But the woman na yoruba na..Nigerians shouldn't feel bad

Consolation price. You are right.

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Nobody: 8:03pm On Nov 21, 2019
Tonymegabush1:
Na to download her music make i hear wettin she too dey sing........ shocked
Make we check her out
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Heavance(m): 8:17pm On Nov 21, 2019
I am really surprise seeing response of some people sha, letting us know they don't know Angelina Kidjo.....

Ahhh, truly na children full this place be that (and they don't know music).

Mind you, I am a strong fan of BurrrrrrnaBoy, always been from his first track, and till date.
I know how people won't let us hear word at all if those other guys were the ones nominated.

Thank God for God, Jah bless your relentless effort and strive for success BurnaBoy

2 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by jaymichael(m): 8:18pm On Nov 21, 2019
Litmus:
Without prejudice, Burna would win, but Nigerians must always factor in prejudices against them the more popular they become. I know Nigerians do not like this type of thinking since we dismiss such thoughts as carrying unnecessary complexes, but I’m trying to be brave in making these points. To put it simply and politely, French influence will always work against Nigerian interest when Nigerians compete against French West Africans for international/global positions likewise the English will back East Africans against Nigerians unless the Nigerian in questions is too unassailable. America may be fairer to Nigerians but blacks like Nigerians are subconsciously threatening to the world and even blacks are unconsciously susceptible to these biases since they invariable see the world, without realising, it through white eyes. In short, judgment may not be objective and may boil down to sentiments that resent Burnaboy for being too popular, winning here and there and threatening the music genre status quo. He is not a safe and patroniseable African like Angelique.
I haven't listened to Angelique's Celia album but if you have listened to two of her old songs 'Naima' featuring Carlos Santana and her version of "We are one" a soundtrack to the Lion King movie, (perfect blend of English and her FONGBE language) you will understand what Burna boy is up against. I still listen to her album I have had for close to 15 years now. These words of hers from her song still moves me till tomorrow "I'VE BEEN AWAY FOR SO LONG AND I WONDER OF THE SONG OF THE DRUM STILLS HAS ITS POWERS" Her songs has the powers to give you an out of body experience.
NB: I forgot to tell you to go listen to her song "Africa"
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by jaymichael(m): 8:19pm On Nov 21, 2019
iamDrRhymes:
Grammy award is for musicians- people who are skilled composers, songwriters, and instrumentalists. Grammy is not for freestyle artistes; not for people that sample other people's work or artistes with incoherent lyrics like the Nigerian pop artistes except for a handful that Burna boy is not part of. Burna boy does good music to some extent though but Agelique Kidjo is a musician, Grammy is for musicians and that's why Grammy is called an academic award.

I have been following the Grammies for years now, I will tell you that I was surprised to see burna boy on that list (no hating please, am just being academic and practical here). But incase Burna boy wins, then the standard for winning was reduced. Gaskia!
True.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by amaridigital(m): 8:27pm On Nov 21, 2019
blowjohn:

OP concert pictures can't prove how good an artist is or how good an album is. Even a picture of Nas or Jay Z singing in a room would sell faster than Soulja Boy rapping inside a stadium.
I agree with u on some of ur points but take note that the Grammyz always love a fresh new air that's worth their time.
Alternative rock albums were always close to winning the award of album of the year( the most prestigious of the awards) until Arcade Fire album, 'the suburbs,' won it and it won against veterans like Lady Gaga and Eminem.
Also, pound for pound, burna boy's album is unarguably one of the greatest Nigerian albums of this modern era.
The grammyz know quality when they hear one so let's keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.
Finally: this category of best world album has had the likes of the kutis nominated several times too.
If u ask me, I think burna boy's African Giant as a cohesive, yet diverse body of songs beats those of the kutis.

I disagree with you on this one bro. Look at the history of past winners and nominees and you will find that most are Artists with worldwide touring bands like FEMI Kuti. That's why DBanj or TuBaba never got nominated. Check the history bro.

3 Likes

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by oblaak(m): 8:50pm On Nov 21, 2019
safarigirl:
We know she is his biggest threat, but what is the point of winning, if the competition is weak?

Burna Boy is the new age of African music, and possibly the youngest Nigerian act from Nigeria to get a nomination this century. He did it without being snuck into an international artiste's album or song. This is his original work and just being a Grammy nominee will boost his CV.

I doubt Angelique won it at her first go anyway

Oh, Wizkid no be the new face of African music again as una use talk before?

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by amaridigital(m): 9:11pm On Nov 21, 2019
iamDrRhymes:

Please note that Grammy is a US award and not a universal award, you can find any American on the list for doing something average just the way you can find Small Doctor on headies list (he even has an headies self) but Grammy is more competitive and more strict for an African artist from inside Africa.

You know your onions. That was why King Sunny Ade and FEMI Kuti were nominated but never won but Saleef Keita won.

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by maysimsimple(m): 9:17pm On Nov 21, 2019
Hey sis, u're so acquaint with it all.. Bless be URS...

quote author=nkemdi89 post=84237018]This egun woman abeg allow burna boy win , that was how you and brenda falsie blocked femi chances .[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by ayyoshert: 9:26pm On Nov 21, 2019
salford:

Her dad is fon and mum is Yoruba. Egun are a different tribe lol
The Fon tribe is comprised of other sub tribes that share language intelligibilty of which the Gouns 'egun' are part.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by okikiosibodu(m): 9:34pm On Nov 21, 2019
Minjim:
Of cos we all know that.
When I saw her name there, I was like...lobatan!
I think we should just beg her to leave this for us.
After all, she's won many times before

I've listened to some tracks in the Celia album. It's an album in memory of Celia Cruz, a Spanish woman
Just t googled the fellow, her songs are cool. Some of her tracks, sound like Kidjo. By the way, it's as if I am hearing small small yoruba in some of her salsa musics.... Mayb it'sa sign for me tk travel to Spain grin
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by jaymichael(m): 9:36pm On Nov 21, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2EJ5_HOiDA
E don tey wey I don like this song. Iyke dgee (Afro tropical fiesta) on the all night cafe made me fall in love with this song on cool fm in those days.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by jaymichael(m): 9:41pm On Nov 21, 2019
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by jaymichael(m): 9:46pm On Nov 21, 2019
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by drightguy(m): 9:51pm On Nov 21, 2019
KenMosi:
4 bedroom bungalow mansion for SALE in ONITSHA.Asking price is 16 million naira

Must you spoil the fun?
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by gly(m): 9:52pm On Nov 21, 2019
CoolAmbience:

Nor talk am again make people no come think say dem born you for early 2000s.

You fit talk say you prefer Burna, since music na about preference, but make I tell you, dem nor be mate.

Na the truth u just talk so. That madam powerful o!
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Godsknight(m): 10:04pm On Nov 21, 2019
joe4christ:
Never heard of this woman Mehn!
never heard of her before? you must be kidding
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by drightguy(m): 10:25pm On Nov 21, 2019
Haaa Madam Maliaka
They don't like 9ja at all,
Win-win for her jor
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by drightguy(m): 10:29pm On Nov 21, 2019
Godsknight:
never heard of her before? you must be kidding
He must've heard of her but don't know she is Angelique Kidjo by name.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by CoolAmbience(m): 10:53pm On Nov 21, 2019
gly:

Na the truth u just talk so. That madam powerful o!

My bro, that woman nor be today pikin for music o.

Burna go only win if Baba God say na him time, otherwise dem nor be mate.
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Kingin7777: 11:12pm On Nov 21, 2019
Guys when I first heard burna was nominated I saw all the other artist when I saw Angelique darm my heart cut ......baba I don't want to sound like a hater she's taking the crown that woman Is pure African talent no hate....the odds are to much on her side . I wish burna luck tho is not easy
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by unscripted(m): 11:17pm On Nov 21, 2019
Tonymegabush1:
Na to download her music make i hear wettin she too dey sing........ shocked
so u don't know Agolo , don't let me say u r indomie generation .. Ori ori o olajumoke nlo ,
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Topmaike007(m): 11:20pm On Nov 21, 2019
beresponsible:
Wetin she dey sing sef? Oyinbo can dance to anything. Burna na master
you no sabi anything, it's as if they should nominate Messi and chukwueze for balon d or... You know the rest
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Sirmuel1(m): 11:31pm On Nov 21, 2019
Anazp:
Angelique's tribute to Cuban singer Celia Cruz was released on April 19, 2019. It is produced by David Donatien and featured Tony Allen ,
Meshell Ndegeocello and the Gangbe Brass Band . The Guardian has called the album "magnificent" [20] and The Financial Times gave it 5 stars.

The matter weak me o
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by aystunt: 11:46pm On Nov 21, 2019
beresponsible:
Wetin she dey sing sef? Oyinbo can dance to anything. Burna na master
Hope you know Burna Boy mastered like 2 of her songs..
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by Topmaike007(m): 11:55pm On Nov 21, 2019
Morenikeji070:
Lol lolz we all know the winner already.
I fear that mama oo
Re: Why Angelique Kidjo Is Burna Boy’s Biggest Threat In Grammy Awards Category by beresponsible(m): 12:04am On Nov 22, 2019
grin
Topmaike007:
you no sabi anything, it's as if they should nominate Messi and chukwueze for balon d or... You know the rest

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Top 5 Most Underrated Artist In Nigeria (opinion) / The Worst Lines Ever Used By Musicians In Songs / Who Is The Most Underrated Artiste In The Nigerian Music Industry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.