Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,047 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help (24266 Views)

Career Change: Is It Wise To Change My Career Path At This Stage???? / 14 Tips To Avoid Stage Fright And Win Audience Impression / Street Sweepers In Benin Stage Protest Over Non-payment Of 7 Months Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by ShowLove001: 7:56pm On Jan 01, 2020
1. Know the subject you want to talk about very well. Your audience knows if you reall know what you are talking about. So, it's content first.

2. Try to write out everything you want to say in a notebook. I mean everything. Beginning from salutation etc. The note will surely guide you if anything frightens you.

3. Make sure you know the number of people you will be speaking to before time. Imagine thinking of talking with 50 people and 500 are gathered, you may even run away.

4. Dress well. As in very well. Appear as somebody that has come to deliver something tangible to the people.

5. Never introduce yourself as a starter in public speaking anywhere you find yourself. Act as if you have been there for long.

6. Your introduction and conclusion of the subject must be superb

7. Finally, make sure you get to the venue of where you will be speaking before time. It helps to calm nerves.

Hope this little contribution helps sha.

6 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Jabioro: 7:58pm On Jan 01, 2020
Simple matter.Take monkey tail,if fear achohol take the one with original palmwine but not stupor..a short glass of monkey tail will do the needful ..you won't see them..Compose yourself..be jovial at your presentation....start your practice in church by asking to deliver church weekly announcement..
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by DonBenergy(m): 7:59pm On Jan 01, 2020
appreciate001:
Hi Nairalanders greetings to you all. please can someone help me with solutions to this stage fright problem.

I Am in my late thirties married with children but this thing will not leave me alone. I have been battling with this all my life.

Just recently, I had a presentation to make but things were messed up because of this. I am a graduate but this is limiting my chances in life. What are the practical ways to overcome this problem? God bless you all.
It's only through constant practice and preparing adequately for whatever it is the person wants to present to the audience.

Convince yourself your presentation makes sense and it will decrease the intensity of the stage fright.
Also be less conscious of yourself

It doesn't go totally it only reduces

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by WAECMATHEMATICS: 8:03pm On Jan 01, 2020
idonhammer:
Before you start, "just shout dia fada" or I no send anybody"then start your speech dem go dey loyal las las.

grin

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by dalass(f): 8:03pm On Jan 01, 2020
appreciate001:
Hi Nairalanders greetings to you all. please can someone help me with solutions to this stage fright problem.

I Am in my late thirties married with children but this thing will not leave me alone. I have been battling with this all my life.

Just recently, I had a presentation to make but things were messed up because of this. I am a graduate but this is limiting my chances in life. What are the practical ways to overcome this problem? God bless you all.

Go out and win souls.
Sell something and be selling or marketing anything.
It has to do with practice, consistency is the key. You get better as you keep doing it despite being scared at the beginning.

I guess you're an introvert. Get out of your shell and talk more. Extroverts are naturally good at this, so as an introvert, you have to work at it and associate more with people to be comfortable around them.

Finally as you start speaking, don't make eye contact yet, cause some people's expressions can scare you off. Also crack a joke or do something to break the ice, to make your audience more receptive and un the process ease your own tension.

All the best bro

2 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jan 01, 2020
Most people who do that shit are DRUG FIENDS
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by LAUSUG15: 8:13pm On Jan 01, 2020
Go and join all this multilevel marketing companies like GNLD KEDI and d likes. They will train you
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by yinkarh187(m): 8:23pm On Jan 01, 2020
30? Wow I'm bleeped! I thought this thing goes away with age. My own is worse
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jan 01, 2020
appreciate001:

perform in front of a known audience like your family. Let them be your audience while you read out your lines repeatedly.

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Adinoyi2020(m): 8:51pm On Jan 01, 2020
Don't be scared of mistake.

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Rajikehinde(m): 8:55pm On Jan 01, 2020
Good

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by directonpc(m): 8:57pm On Jan 01, 2020
Sososo:
are you for real
Yeah!!! You are welcome
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by jclassiq(m): 8:59pm On Jan 01, 2020
nuel000:
My first advice is try to purchase this book I got it for 500, then join any toastmasters club near you...you'll see the difference and thank me later
Seriously are there toastmasters club in Lagos state?
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jan 01, 2020
OgunLaakaye:
Alcohol

Outline your presentation and rehearse how you will want to be.

Start drinking 2 hours before presentation and think about how you were impressed with your presentation. (Insinuating)

When you drink to a point. You will stand up and walk towards that Hall anxious to dish out words and sentences.

��
Back in school then. We were to have a presentation but my friend being the scared type had to go drink hours before the presentation. Long story cut short. Presentation was postponed till next day.
Baba went to drink again. Presentation got postponed again. Lol

2 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Eagba(m): 9:04pm On Jan 01, 2020
appreciate001:
Thanks I will try as much as I can
[quote author=appreciate001
first prepare well for your presentation and secondly imagine the audience as being naked. It works like magic. Thank me later

2 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by jclassiq(m): 9:14pm On Jan 01, 2020
The only presentation I can't make is one I didnt prepare for. And I'm a hopelessly shy introvert.
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Eagba(m): 9:19pm On Jan 01, 2020
appreciate001:
appreciate001:
first prepare well for your presentation and secondly imagine the audience as being naked. It works like magic. Thank me later

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by goat22: 9:20pm On Jan 01, 2020
DennisEche:
Just learn how to keel eye contact, look into the eyes of the those you presenting for. Was in your shoe I don over come am, you don't need alcohol or hard drugs

Dennis my boy. The truth is you need hot beans to deal with stage fright. With guguru and ekpa
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by uncleck: 9:20pm On Jan 01, 2020
1. Prepare your presentation from introduction to conclusion. If possible, write it out verbatim and try to get used to it but don't cram it. I repeat, don't cram it.

2. When you climb the podium, don't start talking immediately. Use few seconds to have a kind of area view of your audience, breath in and start talking gently.

3. While preparing, make your material appear like a conversation. If possible start your speech with a question that requires yes or no answer from the audience.

4. Make sure you start with anything that will arouse the interest of your audience, it could be story, question, experience etc

The need for proper and advanced preparation cannot be overemphasized. Remember, you must experience stage fright at the beginning of your presentation. So expect it. But be composed. Don't forget to dress well as your appearance boosts your confidence

If you assemble all the world leaders in a place, I can address them confidently provided I have what to tell them. You can contact me for help in your next presentation.

Meanwhile I'm up for hire in case anyone wants a seasoned public speaker.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jan 01, 2020
Read books about methods to boost your confidence and watch youtube videos on public speech competitions. Then practise practise practise in front of anyone who would listen to you. By your 3rd or 4th public speech, the butterflies in your stomach will stop disturbing you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jan 01, 2020
Pim
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Nickymichy(m): 9:35pm On Jan 01, 2020
Ds is going to sound funny but believe me it works...d next time u are having any presentation please go with ur wife or better still wit ur friend... Some few minutes to d presentation.. Tell her/him to give u 3 lashes of hot koboko..I can swear wix anything... U will face anything that is in front of u wit boldness.. U can't b hurt and still feel frightened... U could bite ur tongue a little before u start as an alternative solution..u won't even remember DAT u are in front of people... I have done it several time..believe me am strong now..I can face d whole Nigeria if I have to...
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by craves(m): 9:44pm On Jan 01, 2020
in my opinion, reading books can be one of the options, but it certainly will not help you in reality. public speaking requires a physical approach.

1. confront your fears. yes! this is the only way you can overcome it. you can join groups in you church , school, office etc that will put you in a position to speak to people. some may laugh at you or condemn you when you falter, don't worry, just press on. for me joined a group in my church called lay readers (am a catholic), we are sometimes also given the opportunity to make announcement in the church. that was where i build my public speaking ability. good enough, i found fellow member of the group who are even willing to help me grow

2. if you are idle for some time, you can take teaching job especially in secondary school section. that will also help you build you public speaking ability in small scale. you will learn how to manage crowd, read mind of listeners, and how to carry them along

3. when giving out a speech or whatsoever, have a complete understanding and knowledge of the subject mater you want to talk about. nothing boost confidence like having in-depth knowledge of what you want to say. like everyone including professional, you will still face some level of anxiety, especially when you ascend to speak, but as you begin to flow... the anxiety dies down and you will marvel at yourself.

so my guy, confront it, and it will run away

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jan 01, 2020
WeedSeller:

��
Back in school then. We were to have a presentation but my friend being the scared type had to go drink hours before the presentation. Long story cut short. Presentation was postponed till next day.
Baba went to drink again. Presentation got postponed again. Lol

grin grin
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by MERCHANDISER: 9:55pm On Jan 01, 2020
Smoke weed
Sk Arizona

your eyes go open
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by MERCHANDISER: 9:56pm On Jan 01, 2020
OgunLaakaye:
Alcohol

Start drinking 2 hours before presentation and think about how you were impressed with your presentation. (Insinuating)

When you drink to a point. You will stand up and walk towards that Hall anxious to dish out words and sentences.
weed is better.
He should try sk
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by beejay85: 9:59pm On Jan 01, 2020
OgunLaakaye:
Alcohol

Please friend do not try this strategy...my very first stage presentation....its also one inter departmental competition at work about 10years ago...was well prepared...just stage fright..I resorted to taking 2 bottles of small stout an hour to my presentation...
Guess what..d moment I stepped on stage...d stout clear for my eye..I manage to present 4/5 points which cost my Dept d 1st position..
My manager is d type that a 2nd position is failure to him...he saw d issue I had up there and encouraged me to join a social org..I eventually joined full Gospel business men fellowship which helped me a lot as I speak in almost all our meetings

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Hahjascho(m): 10:00pm On Jan 01, 2020
1. Face it...then you realise how able you are at overcoming.

2. Always focus on what you want to deliver and stop giving strong attention to the audience.

3. Anytime you want to give a presentation always assume no one knows better than you do as regards the key topic while assuming everyone is your potential student

4. Forget the mindset of going there to impress anyone no matter how versed you are or how well you've rehearsed the topic.

5. People (audience) will look or stare at you never mind, most don't really care and are usually inoffensive but just looking at any reasonable to pick from your first speech i.e you must not lose your balance or stability as regards body language, composure and rate of speech delivery.

Also don't be too rigid o, or trying to prove anyone wrong, just be calmed and relaxed.

6. Also practice, practice and rehearse with close friends prior to the day of presentation. Don't also forget to look at familiar and friendly faces while presenting.

#You will soon join the league of more people, more motivation and confidence.
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jan 01, 2020
beejay85:

Please friend do not try this strategy...my very first stage presentation....its also one inter departmental competition at work about 10years ago...was well prepared...just stage fright..I resorted to taking 2 bottles of small stout an hour to my presentation...
Guess what..d moment I stepped on stage...d stout clear for my eye..I manage to present 4/5 points which cost my Dept d 1st position..
My manager is d type that a 2nd position is failure to him...he saw d issue I had up there and encouraged me to join a social org..I eventually joined full Gospel business men fellowship which helped me a lot as I speak in almost all our meetings

You did not drink to that limit

You took a drink but you didn't use the instinct to programme yourself.

Trust me, when I do before a presentation, you will agree that was a different me when I step down cos I effective communicate and carry along the audience.

Things I will never do ordinarily.

Alcohol is a stimulant. You can't take away that fact.

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by gr8tone: 10:15pm On Jan 01, 2020
As for me, the major cause of my own stage fright is lack of good mastery of the subject of discourse. Maybe you should master your topic very well so that you can speak with confidence

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by ayesco202(m): 10:25pm On Jan 01, 2020
Sirvingeo:

My dear teaching job does not eliminate stage fright. Teaching you are aware your audiences are mentally and academically below you. The best way to eliminate stage fright is to prepare very well.
I disagree with you sir/ma. Further arguments are needless however.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed / 5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. / What Online Skill Can I Learn At 35

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.