Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,604 members, 7,816,503 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help (24271 Views)

Career Change: Is It Wise To Change My Career Path At This Stage???? / 14 Tips To Avoid Stage Fright And Win Audience Impression / Street Sweepers In Benin Stage Protest Over Non-payment Of 7 Months Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Nascimento(m): 7:02pm On Jan 01, 2020
appreciate001:
Hi Nairalanders greetings to you all. please can someone help me with solutions to this stage fright problem.

I Am in my late thirties married with children but this thing will not leave me alone. I have been battling with this all my life.

Just recently, I had a presentation to make but things were messed up because of this. I am a graduate but this is limiting my chances in life. What are the practical ways to overcome this problem? God bless you all.

All great speakers experience nervousness as soon as they climb a platform to give a speech.
The following can help:
1) have a proper understanding of your topic or what you want to say.
2)arrange your thoughts chronologically like an outline before you speak. That way your thoughts can flow well.
3) know how to breathe properly when speaking.
4) start slow.
5) practice practice practice. Always practice your speech as if you were facing the real audience.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by chidiebere2020(m): 7:06pm On Jan 01, 2020
I have dsame problem

I'm here to learn
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Offpoint: 7:09pm On Jan 01, 2020
How it worked out for me is... I just believe everyone in the hall is dumbass and I'm the brightest.

Weather I'm wrong or right I just keep my confidence level high like hypertension.

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by madridsta007(m): 7:12pm On Jan 01, 2020
appreciate001:
Hi Nairalanders greetings to you all. please can someone help me with solutions to this stage fright problem.

I Am in my late thirties married with children but this thing will not leave me alone. I have been battling with this all my life.

Just recently, I had a presentation to make but things were messed up because of this. I am a graduate but this is limiting my chances in life. What are the practical ways to overcome this problem? God bless you all.

1. Spend time with people you do not know/ have very little in common/ have very little knowledge of. Bars (yes, bars, but stick to non-alcoholic drinks else you will be speaking under the influence of alcohol), church, work place, etc. And speak. And contribute. Ignore the banter, when you get laughed at, just continue.
2. While you are doing that, get on YouTube and listen to speakers. TEDx, Company Execs, Students, basically a mixed variety of sources.
3. While you are doing that, develop your own document/ template of what you want to speak on. I remember attending an interview, where I was asked to speak to a small crowd (100 people) on what excites me the most. In 5 minutes. I used the cardboard, markers, etc, to speak about football (using the distinct example of Barcelona FC and their tactics) and I connected it to teamwork and winning as a team. Since it was a thing I liked very well, that is football, my points flowed and there was clarity in my speech. I passed that interview by talking about football.
4. Practice as MANY times as possible. Get a mirror, wear a suit, basically prepare as if it was real interview. Then practice, looking at the mirror, using your notes/paper at first. Time yourself. After a while of many practice, continue but without the paper. Many, many times.
5. Go for your interview. You will find out that you have improved if you followed 1-4 above. At the interview, set your eyes on the most innocent-looking/ smiley/ least menancing face in the panel and speak. Do NOT be afraid. They are humans like you.

All the best.

6 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Sososo(f): 7:14pm On Jan 01, 2020
nuel000:
My first advice is try to purchase this book I got it for 500, then join any toastmasters club near you...you'll see the difference and thank me later
where can the toastmasters club be found
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by sdavirus: 7:16pm On Jan 01, 2020
appreciate001:

I was like that when I started speaking to people? But do you know what I usually did and still do? I pick on the friendly faces, those that seem to be deeply interested, smiling and nodding their heads at every little thing I do.

If it's a presentation that my best friend or family is there? I just keep my attention on them, and suddenly, it seems like there is no one else in there.

Now, I'm pretty used to public speaking... Breaking the ice might be a little frosty, but once I've accelerated, I'm on a roll, brother !

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by ayesco202(m): 7:19pm On Jan 01, 2020
Go get a teaching job and teach for a while. It helped me.

2 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by JMAQ(m): 7:20pm On Jan 01, 2020
I'm also facing the same issue, but I am trying by looking at my audience as my family members to whom I always look like a champion before them.Try not to look at them directly into the eyes.

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Saao(m): 7:21pm On Jan 01, 2020
I once in the same situation until I became a worker in the church (Rccg), along the line I don't know when I overcame it. You will be encouraged in the church to pray in a small group, handle devotional among the workers, handle preaching etc. Trust me it help alot.

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by clive2u(m): 7:23pm On Jan 01, 2020
ridwan006:
Take enough alcohol before the audience, trust me, stage freight will be history....
listen to this at your own peril. you'll just go and say nonsense if you OD on this. even if it works when the alcohol clears while still on stage you're on your own

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by olatunji390(m): 7:23pm On Jan 01, 2020
nuel000:
My first advice is try to purchase this book I got it for 500, then join any toastmasters club near you...you'll see the difference and thank me later

Did u school in LASUAASOC
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Sososo(f): 7:23pm On Jan 01, 2020
directonpc:
Bath outside every morning.
are you for real
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Kayceenaz(m): 7:24pm On Jan 01, 2020
ideaz:
Take every opportunity to get on a stage.

This is certainly the only thing that works. Confront your fears headlong! Getting more education and degrees won't fix it.

Begin with small stages to build confidence for the bigger ones.

We learn by playing more.
OP, this is the best advice to heed. Embrace and seek chances to speak in public. Regularly read to improve your knowledge plus vocabulary. Implement ASAP.

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Sososo(f): 7:25pm On Jan 01, 2020
idonhammer:
Before you start, "just shout dia fada" or I no send anybody"then start your speech dem go dey loyal las las.
I don laugh fall for ground wtf

2 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Babara1994(m): 7:28pm On Jan 01, 2020
Denique:

I think you may be right about been in his shoes.
I have always loved the cameras and the glamour that comes with it. Was in almost all the school activities back in the day cos the teachers knew I'd TALK without covering my face cheesy
Coming outta the shell is a process. A process that could have been fast tracked if the OP was made to participate in school debates et al with no option to decline. Child psychology should be a preliminary in all schools to help curb this kind of situation at a later date.
Happy New Year!
True talk. Happy new year

2 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by mrsteel: 7:29pm On Jan 01, 2020
Sososo:
are you for real
Lol
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by storm001(m): 7:30pm On Jan 01, 2020
There are lot of things involve in overcoming stage fright.
It takes time, persistent and endurance with yourself.
First...
Arrange your presentation before time...
Have a mental (mentalization) picture of your audience...
Rehearse your presentation in your head with examples...
Role play your presentation in front of a friend...
Make necessary adjustments to your mode of presentation if need be...
While presenting, be looking@ the your audience eye ball to eye ball randomly...

You will be fine !

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jan 01, 2020
appreciate001:

I think it is normal to exhibit stage fright if you are new to it. I was once like you but I defeated it by preparing adequately before my speech. In fact I broke stage fright late in life around 24 years.

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jan 01, 2020
appreciate001:

Over 90% of the world population suffer ftom glossophobia(fear of public speaking)

First of all;
Register with a toastmasters club near: It has helped millions of persons become become cofident speakers. A google search will help you.
Toastmasters gives you the opportunity to network and develop your leadership skills.

Secondly, get yourself a mirror and probably deliver speeches infront of your family

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by baratech: 7:33pm On Jan 01, 2020
Look at someone on the front row, and make sure there's eye contact... Then just talk as though you're talking to the person

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by sdavirus: 7:35pm On Jan 01, 2020
Sososo:
where can the toastmasters club be found

Well, I know there's one in PH my sister used to be a part of. If you are there by chance, I could get you the info
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Babaken(m): 7:35pm On Jan 01, 2020
I was shy before to the extend i can't even look at the mirror even in my own room am not comfortable when i get to the salon to get hair cut because i have to face the mirror i see myself as the ugliest. I don't upload my pics on facebook or whatsapp I hate voice chat all because i think my voice is not good enough. Finally i start thinking is low self extreme is my problem i start working on myself. First was to get a perfect hair cut that will give me nice fitting next was my dressing i dress decent i wear what gives me fitting no matter how cheap it is the way i walk, talk to people and be very bode when taking i became the perfect gentle man i wanna be.

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jan 01, 2020
ayesco202:
Go get a teaching job and teach for a while. It helped me.
My dear teaching job does not eliminate stage fright. Teaching you are aware your audiences are mentally and academically below you. The best way to eliminate stage fright is to prepare very well.

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by handsomebanana(m): 7:37pm On Jan 01, 2020
I don't why it pisses me off a little when I see peoole with no speed impediment whatsoever scared of public speaking.

Growing up as a child with a chronic stutter and still struggle with it till now, you don't know how lucky I think you have it.

I've given public speeches a number of times and while I don't have stage fright, i still stutter about 40% of the time making me become obsesed with giving the perfect performance.

You are lucky, just have a good understanding of your topic, stand there, say what you know and leave. Its as easy as that. If it works for me, it will work for you.

Once again, you fluent speakers are lucky. Take advantage of what you have.

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by adecz: 7:41pm On Jan 01, 2020
3 pulls on an 'igbo' joint,
25 minutes b4 your presentation.

After 3 to 5 times, you can stop
after you become fluent & frightless...

Thank me later!! cool cool cool

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by worldclass68(m): 7:41pm On Jan 01, 2020
plan everything u wanna do......study ur presentation and rehears it over and over again untill u know it all.....get to the front and hit on the front words/greetings ( very important, it boosts confident) but if somehow didn't hit the ground running, try to catch up and stop thinking bout anyone but ur presentation, but study the damn presentation very well and try to answer the possible questions urself even before going out there...

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by zoezoelogistics(m): 7:50pm On Jan 01, 2020
appreciate001:

In addition to any other advice you have been given here, I will strongly advice you join a teaching department if you are a Christian it will make the learning process a lot easier.

Join Sunday school
Teens department as a teacher
Or at the least the Children’s department.

My wife has this issue too till she joined the children’s department. She is a lot lot better now.
Most times am amazed at the progress she has made over the years.

Note:
It’s a gradual something ooh.
Don’t expect an overnight miracle.

You will be fine las las

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by CasNova: 7:54pm On Jan 01, 2020
It is a psychological thing. It is from your mind. You must first believe that you can and must overcome it.

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by GuestLog: 7:54pm On Jan 01, 2020
appreciate001:

Very easy

Join the ushering program or join the Alter shields men!

You'll see a tremendous change after 3 months. Thank me later.
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Steviealohan(m): 7:54pm On Jan 01, 2020
You can start by always talking to yourself every morning at d mirror,if u have a good phone can ask someone to do a coverage for presenting to an imaginary audience, Leta u can view d video in order to identify ur weakness, continuous practice of that will help greatly.You can up ur game by taking it outside by attending seminars,organize get together of friends give one or two lines as speech,Visit primary school or church try and do some presentation even if it's testimony.

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Mtbail: 7:56pm On Jan 01, 2020
You can start by read books on public speaking. I will describe this particular one for a start. it actually helped to transform me from from being shy to speak in public. I was surprised after I nailed a particular representation, I don't knw where de energy came from but I applied the practical steps highlighted it the book.

MASTERING THE ART OF PUBLIC SPEAKING
by
Kate Agbontaen

I bet u, u and many around u will notice new transformation.

Mind u am still read mine cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. / Nigerian High Commission London Changes Staff Status To “self-employed” / Salary Structures In Nigeria And Their Meaning(contiss,conuass,conraiss ETC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.