Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,431 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help (24276 Views)

Career Change: Is It Wise To Change My Career Path At This Stage???? / 14 Tips To Avoid Stage Fright And Win Audience Impression / Street Sweepers In Benin Stage Protest Over Non-payment Of 7 Months Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by ihustlehard: 6:35pm On Jan 01, 2020
me too it disturbs my soul ive lost a lot due to this, interviews, performance etc
its called social anxiety, .when im on the eyes of everyone my heart beat fast i get shy, i need a cure for it

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by friday2011(m): 6:36pm On Jan 01, 2020
appreciate001:
Hi Nairalanders greetings to you all. please can someone help me with solutions to this stage fright problem.

I Am in my late thirties married with children but this thing will not leave me alone. I have been battling with this all my life.

Just recently, I had a presentation to make but things were messed up because of this. I am a graduate but this is limiting my chances in life. What are the practical ways to overcome this problem? God bless you all.

You can start by selling medicine inside tata buses to/from ikorodu /oshodi

2 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by FlordFlorez(m): 6:36pm On Jan 01, 2020
BEANSndPLANTAIN:
start by performing in front of the mirror first. Then go out and be having a conversation with people you don't know at all
This is the best answer so far. My Technical English lecturer taught me that.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by DoubleEngine007: 6:36pm On Jan 01, 2020
OgunLaakaye:
Alcohol
You want him to go and start throwing up at the presentation abi?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by socialmediaman: 6:36pm On Jan 01, 2020
Practice makes what? Perfect!

Keep reading and keep practicing; first speak aloud to yourself, then to a virtual audience, to family or friends who would judge less and so on. Your confidence and composure increases, you develop and evolve your pattern etc.

Very important, find a person who inspires you and study their pattern, how they start, how they proceed, how they end. It should help you craft a pattern that works for you.

4 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by ideaz: 6:37pm On Jan 01, 2020
Take every opportunity to get on a stage.

This is certainly the only thing that works. Confront your fears headlong! Getting more education and degrees won't fix it.

Begin with small stages to build confidence for the bigger ones.

We learn by playing more.

5 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by NelsonNeo(m): 6:37pm On Jan 01, 2020
maclatunji:

Say no to drug dependency and abuse.
Dude , it's not a controlled prescription. Be that as it may ,this is a short term fix. For a long term fix, a psychologist is the way out
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Gforce2019: 6:37pm On Jan 01, 2020
Op go to third mainland bridge tomorrow and walk along the bridge with boxers and armless top. If you can start from iyana Oworo and end it at obalende it will be fine..by then your stage fright would disappear.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jan 01, 2020
DoubleEngine007:
You want him to go and start throwing up at the presentation abi?

That's the positive side of stimulant they don't let you know. You can use it to programme the mind prior to acting. You just need to use the influence to redirect your mind.
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Numero9: 6:40pm On Jan 01, 2020
Reminds me of my days back in secondary school. Make my guy come present news for assembly, my guy hold paper begin read words upside down with entire body trembling vigorously!!!

It wasn't funny mehn. The entire students and staff laugh for assembly ground no be small.

4 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Neoteny(m): 6:41pm On Jan 01, 2020
appreciate001:
Hi Nairalanders greetings to you all. please can someone help me with solutions to this stage fright problem.

I Am in my late thirties married with children but this thing will not leave me alone. I have been battling with this all my life.

Just recently, I had a presentation to make but things were messed up because of this. I am a graduate but this is limiting my chances in life. What are the practical ways to overcome this problem? God bless you all.

Many people suffered that, including myself. Being an introvert i had to gain confidence and self esteem by mingling a bit more with people.

Remember that the audience is just a bunch of people, nothing more. Just mentally close your eyes and imagine you're alone talking to yourself. It might work for you. It did for me back in uni.

Good luck.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by klever18(m): 6:41pm On Jan 01, 2020
wtf? stop thinking about what your congregation will say,Insert humor while giving speech,then you are good to go baby
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by skyfather09(m): 6:41pm On Jan 01, 2020
smoke az.. you go overcome everything and anything.

2 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by louken(m): 6:42pm On Jan 01, 2020
Practise, practise, practise. Grab any opportunity that comes your way and use it to practise.
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Hypocrit: 6:42pm On Jan 01, 2020
femi4:
First, believe in yourself and believe that you are making sense.

Start by making presentation to yourself

To your family

To friends

Take up a teaching role in a Church, community etc.

To overcome a stage fright is to make yourself available for leadership responsibility
I go by this comment.
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by MrStan11(m): 6:44pm On Jan 01, 2020
Go take up a marketing job.

Thank me later.
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by madjune(m): 6:44pm On Jan 01, 2020
You can do it.

First, i didn't hear you say you stutter or have some speech deficiency.
Some people had this and still overcame them to a great extent to enable efficient public speaking.

Thing is, you need to read more, learn more to develop a greater confidence in self.
When you do, you won't always see the next hoarse voiced, deep baritoned man as smarter than you are.

Get up the podium, know what you're talking about.
Don't rush your words, speak slowly.
Look above their eyes, no eye contact.
Then deliver.

5 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by mastermaestro(m): 6:44pm On Jan 01, 2020
BEANSndPLANTAIN:
start by performing in front of the mirror first. Then go out and be having a conversation with people you don't know at all

Surest solution! It works! cheesy cheesy
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Babara1994(m): 6:45pm On Jan 01, 2020
Denique:
Even though I tend to have it once in while; my PHILOSOPHY is YOU and I make or form the crowd, so, why should I feel repressed in front of my kind undecided
OP, remember without you, there's no crowd cool
You are the CROWD, go up there and own the stage!
Happy New Year!!
Lol...you wan kill am? You haven't been in his shoes I'm sure
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Hypocrit: 6:46pm On Jan 01, 2020
merge all the sensible comments here into one piece, and apply.

2 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by directonpc(m): 6:46pm On Jan 01, 2020
Bath outside every morning.
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by ambafrank: 6:46pm On Jan 01, 2020
That what we called dry run, call your friends and they watch you talk. Any where you make mistake they correct before the main day.
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by martowskin1(m): 6:48pm On Jan 01, 2020
appreciate001:

Join Jehovah witness... Trust me, stage fright go take off

6 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by OROSUNBOLB(m): 6:50pm On Jan 01, 2020
appreciate001:

You need to get Dale Carnegie's book on public speaking as correctly advised by someone here already. Read this book slowly and practise regularly. You also need to seize every opportunity to make public speech as your confidence improves.

You can start with your family. Yes,stand in front of your family and make a periodic but regular presentation of about 5 minutes on any subject that interest you. Also, ensure you always make a verbal contribution whenever you're having your departmental meetings,community development meetings etc.

It is a conquerable problem trust me.

Good luck.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Sugarbash: 6:50pm On Jan 01, 2020
grin����
friday2011:

You can start by selling medicine inside tata buses to/from ikorodu /oshodi
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by idonhammer: 6:54pm On Jan 01, 2020
Before you start, "just shout dia fada" or I no send anybody"then start your speech dem go dey loyal las las.

2 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by OROSUNBOLB(m): 6:55pm On Jan 01, 2020
ihustlehard:
me too it disturbs my soul ive lost a lot due to this, interviews, performance etc
its called social anxiety, .when im on the eyes of everyone my heart beat fast i get shy, i need a cure for it

It is not a monster that can't be tamed if you're so determined.
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Bahamas95(m): 6:55pm On Jan 01, 2020
I have this same problem but am beginning to overcome it gradually. Alcohol is doing the magic for me now, whenever I take alcohol (mokite) I turn by force talkative.....Shyness go just disappear, even at times wey I nor take am I go just dey imagine myself say I high so I go fit flow wella.

The funny thing is that this only happens when am sober, if am angry I can express myself by talking/shouting without minding if there are thousands of people watching me
Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by mascotafltd: 6:56pm On Jan 01, 2020
First picture all the audience nicked,it will put a smile on your face,then the confidence will surely come in.

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Denique(f): 6:59pm On Jan 01, 2020
Babara1994:

Lol...you wan kill am? You haven't been in his shoes I'm sure

I think you may be right about been in his shoes.
I have always loved the cameras and the glamour that comes with it. Was in almost all the school activities back in the day cos the teachers knew I'd TALK without covering my face cheesy
Coming outta the shell is a process. A process that could have been fast tracked if the OP was made to participate in school debates et al with no option to decline. Child psychology should be a preliminary in all schools to help curb this kind of situation at a later date.
Happy New Year!

1 Like

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by excellentj4teal(m): 7:00pm On Jan 01, 2020
The best way to overcome is to face your fear. What is your fear? Facing crowd and talk to them. Always look for avenue to talk to group or a large crowd.
1. Join your church workforce. Be a Sunday school teacher if you are a Christian.
2. When talking to people or a group, don't bother about your grammatical blunders but focus on the purpose of the presentation.
3. People must look at you when presenting to them and don't feel embarrassed but impressed that they are listening..
I was like you but I helped myself out of it.

6 Likes

Re: I Suffer From Stage Fright - Help by Lamasta(m): 7:00pm On Jan 01, 2020
appreciate001:

Go and join worker in your church so that You will be leading opening prayer or making announcement to the congregation every sunday it will help build your capacity.....

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Ways LinkedIn Can Help you Achieve Success in your career. / Nigerian High Commission London Changes Staff Status To “self-employed” / Salary Structures In Nigeria And Their Meaning(contiss,conuass,conraiss ETC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.