Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,145 members, 7,815,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. (4609 Views)

Seven Major Causes Of Divorce In Nigeria / Kayan Mata, Cause Of Alarming Rate Of Divorce In Abuja, Other States / Married Folks: What Changed After You Married Your Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Fhemmmy: 3:48pm On Nov 25, 2019
frozen70:

Those in the sixties are just not really satisfied for selfish reasons though there was low divorce then but now the state of economy and the state of mind of this generation is like make gas and lighter playing

Anything can trigger the lighter and gas to burn beyond irreconcilable matters

We are not being realistic . . . What is being selfish in this, let's break it down:
Man and the woman get married at say late 20s and they are both professionals - Is that selfish?
They now have kids and meaning, their life just got busier - is that selfish
They have to hire helps like nanny or house help who practically plays Dad and Mom to the kids because papa and mama are back from work late after the kids have gone to bed - Is that being selfish or they don't have to provide for their family?
It is natural for the woman to pay more attention to the kids because they need attention and by so doing, the man is finding solace in other stuff that isn't even bad stuff - Is that being selfish
The man and the woman hardly know each other because they need to provide and both hardly home all because of providing for the home - Is that being selfish?
Now the kids are all grown and married and left the house
The Dada and mama are not retired - Then WHAT?

This has nothing to do with being selfish, it has to do with NOT knowing how to deal with what life brings while we are all busy, but we need to raise the awareness that man and woman needs to be careful to keep dating each other even with kids in the equation, the man needs to NOT think it is all about the money as well as the wife, the wife needs to keep doing those things that attracted the man. , , , All i am saying is divorce can be prevented but takes cautious effort as long as life isn't involved
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Fhemmmy: 3:49pm On Nov 25, 2019
LewsTherin:

No offense intended but I don't understand you. The couple are in their 60s, they are influential, have great sex and "see their other half as one that completes them" and they still divorced? Expand more on the story please.

Refer to my last post where i analyzed it
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Lonelypacifist6: 3:50pm On Nov 25, 2019
Fhemmmy:

Read the story all over again and let's discuss it
Lots of factors can aid divorce, Human nature is Unpredictable and seeks change, You can actually get tired of people just like you get tired of an environment a car a phone or the likes.

1 Like

Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Fhemmmy: 4:04pm On Nov 25, 2019
Lonelypacifist6:
Lots of factors can aid divorce, Human nature is Unpredictable and seeks change, You can actually get tired of people just like you get tired of an environment a car a phone or the likes.

Yes, i totally agree sir/ma BUT i am only mentioning the area that we have NEVER focused on but always come to us as a shock
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Lonelypacifist6: 4:06pm On Nov 25, 2019
Fhemmmy:

Yes, i totally agree sir/ma BUT i am only mentioning the area that we have NEVER focused on but always come to us as a shock
Sir, Totally agree, spouses should be friends even after marriage it goes s long way.
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Fhemmmy: 4:08pm On Nov 25, 2019
Lonelypacifist6:
Sir, Totally agree, spouses should be friends even after marriage it goes s long way.

Nothing better than that sir/ma
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by LewsTherin: 7:16pm On Nov 25, 2019
Fhemmmy:

Refer to my last post where i analyzed it

Ok. I thought it was an actual story. A real experience.
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Fhemmmy: 7:16pm On Nov 25, 2019
LewsTherin:
Ok. I thought it was an actual story. A real experience.

No it wasn't was just a scenario
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 25, 2019
Lack of communication, sacrife and external influence
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by LewsTherin: 7:42pm On Nov 25, 2019
Fhemmmy:

No it wasn't was just a scenario

Well, that is what I am asking for. I want to understand what happened.
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Fhemmmy: 8:17pm On Nov 25, 2019
LewsTherin:

Well, that is what I am asking for. I want to understand what happened.

Oh my apologies Sir/ma . . .But what i am saying is that there are so many divorce at the later years of marriages because of the reasons i mentioned
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by zed7: 9:25pm On Nov 25, 2019
If the man and woman can ask these questions and give honest answers, they will be no divorce.
1. Why do I want to get married?
2. Is this person the one I really really want to spend my life with forever?
3. If answer to 2 is yes, then why?
4. Am I ready to go the whole 9 yards for this person?
Truthful and honest answers will set most people free.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by LewsTherin: 6:05am On Nov 26, 2019
Fhemmmy:

Oh my apologies Sir/ma . . .But what i am saying is that there are so many divorce at the later years of marriages because of the reasons i mentioned

So you are giving a hypothetical situation and do not actually have a case in point.
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Fhemmmy: 4:04pm On Nov 26, 2019
LewsTherin:

So you are giving a hypothetical situation and do not actually have a case in point.

I can tell you of many couples that grew apart . . . . BUT since you are NOT seeing it, i rest my case sir/ma
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by LewsTherin: 6:06pm On Nov 26, 2019
Fhemmmy:

I can tell you of many couples that grew apart . . . . BUT since you are NOT seeing it, i rest my case sir/ma

Of course I am not seeing it. You aren't giving it! I need a case study to fit in with what you just said. Otherwise, it is only your opinion.
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Fhemmmy: 8:48pm On Nov 26, 2019
LewsTherin:

Of course I am not seeing it. You aren't giving it! I need a case study to fit in with what you just said. Otherwise, it is only your opinion.

OK Bros, you won! By the way, are you married yet?
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 9:38pm On Dec 08, 2019

4 Likes

Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Lonelypacifist6: 9:48pm On Dec 08, 2019
Breaststroke:

Hey sorry I couldn't respond sooner. The day you posted this I was banned for the stuff grin you saw me mention on Tpia's thread

I wanted to say two things, first thank you for sharing your story you didn't have to but you did and I learnt something so kudos. Secondly, please can you avoid the alcohol? You dropped a destructive habit then picked it up again, don't you think you deserve better for yourself?

The first funeral I ever attended at age 17, was of a school mate who died from liver cirrhosis (A liver disease caused by chronic alcoholism), in retrospect I don't know what drove him to excessive drinking, he wasn't a married man with financial issues or an inability to pay school fees, feed or clothe a family so I truly don't know what drove him to it.

One of my relatives was diagnosed with HIV and ended up dead sooner rather than later. Guess what? It wasn't the HIV or Aids that got him it was chronic/excessive drinking of alcohol. The doctor said his internal organs were all messed up, I think fried up and shrunken like scrambled eggs was the phrase he used. Relative started drinking that way after the diagnosis and was gone within a short period of being diagnosed.

Alcohol does more harm than good. If it doesn't kill you first (I don't mean you in particular) it leaves you with an unattractive beer gut/belly. I think you deserve better and can do better for yourself, especially as we move into 2010. Think about it!
What abandon alcohol that's strange no one has ever warned me against it except my ex-wife, what happens to the ones at home? What about my friends that now see it as a tradition to send me drinks Thank for the suggestion, I'll think about it when I finish the bottle with me, besides Wtf is a 17 year old doing with alcohol? his parents need to be queried. Have a nice week ahead thanks again.
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by bukatyne(f): 9:54pm On Dec 08, 2019
crackhaus:
Only very few people in this present generation actually know how to love.

This is what I believe to be the underlying cause.

I will modify to say they loved someone else and for a myraid of reasons, did not marry them.

So they are stuck with someone else for convenience and soon enough, the center no longer holds.

There w is a difference because someone who has never loved and just picked any partner with someone in love once, never resolved or got closure and marrying someone else.

They forever subconsciously pine for what only their lover can give.

1 Like

Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by KanwuliaExtra: 10:34pm On Dec 08, 2019
Na by force to stay married?
If it is time to say 'I DON'T' for whatever reason. . . .please, feel freeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
When you venture out of your marriage, you can either find greener pastures or a swamp.
If you no waka, how you go know?
Bottom line, live with your decisions.
As for affecting the children, or the 'insignificant others'?
Better to have one dysfunctional parent than TWO under one roof! kiss
They children will learn to find their own ways.
Nor be by force abeg!

4 Likes

Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 10:42pm On Dec 08, 2019

1 Like

Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 10:43pm On Dec 08, 2019

1 Like

Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by KanwuliaExtra: 10:46pm On Dec 08, 2019
Breaststroke:

You are back cheesy Lol

Oh yes o. . . . was so busy putting my house in order.
Remodeling tins and getting rid of LOTS OF JUNK!!!
I don settle well well na. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 10:50pm On Dec 08, 2019

1 Like

Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by djon78(m): 10:53pm On Dec 08, 2019
I think it has more to do with ending up with the wrong partner.
Nowadays people just marry the available option, and most times there is no deep connection.
So when the challenges, problems and difficulties associated with marriage comes up, the couples can't stand it and the whole thing collapses.

In addition, people should prepare themselves for marriage, especially there mindset. Know that you are in this for life, no clause to opt out. It then makes the couples to put in the work and sacrifice to make it work.
And truly a lasting marriage requires putting in the work and sacrifice, if nor, the marriage will just be parching up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by KanwuliaExtra: 11:04pm On Dec 08, 2019
Breaststroke:

Your posts/comments crack me up so good, it was a pleasure to actually see you here tonight.

Thanks.
Feels good to be back like old times.
Sleep dey cassssssh me for work. . . . this is a gooood way to pass the next 2 and a half hours till I close.
Catching up on re-cycled family issues. wink
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Lonelypacifist6: 11:07pm On Dec 08, 2019
Breaststroke:

You see what the current bottle you are on, is already doing to you? I was the 17 year old attending my first funeral of someone who died from alcoholism. The deceased wasn't the 17 year old
Sorry, I'm even having a migraine sef.
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by emmaodet: 11:56pm On Dec 08, 2019
Lonelypacifist6:
My ex-wife was all the best Until 2017 When I was financially unstable, I saw her true colours. Thanks to my brothers I've bounced back stronger, the story is long and I'm too tired to type.

ps my mom has a French passport my brothers were born abroad I'm the only one born in Nigeria and she has a wealthy fam so I don't just know wtf got into her.

Can you tell us a little about it pls? So as to learn one or two things from you
Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by emmaodet: 12:22am On Dec 09, 2019
RisenPhoenix:
Misplaced priorities. The newer generation of women get all their ideas of marriage from Africa Magic, Zeeworld and Telemundo. They believe a good husband is one who takes them to breakfast in Dubai and lunch in Hawaii. Where everyone gets up by 12 pm, just in time to go to the shopping mall and eateries, and come back home to find a ready sparkling house. And when the children come, they are all nice smiley wonderfully polite children who never poop in their pants and always get straight As in school.

Virtually every woman enters marriage with such expectations. When the reality hits in, it is natural to feel resentment. Our elders married by arrangement. There were no foolhardy notions of romantic love and other such nonsense. There was duty and responsibility and mutual respect and it worked. Now, men cannot live up to the unrealistic expectations and therefore, are not respected by their wives. This leads to the man's detachment from the wife and she loses his affection. They both end up thinking they could have chosen better partners. Logical end result...divorce.

You have said it all bro.
Too much expectations from the women because of the lifestyles they lived at school.
Imagine a lady going out with sugar daddies at school, receiving 20-50k per week with all the treatments of good foods, drinks, nice hotel, flight etc and you expect such person to settle down and not see marriage as burden or cage were the hubby may be giving her 50k per month for family feeding.
It's a crazy world approaching us bro

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by Nobody: 12:35am On Dec 09, 2019
emmaodet:

You have said it all bro.
Too much expectations from the women because of the lifestyles they lived at school.
Imagine a lady going out with sugar daddies at school, receiving 20-50k per week with all the treatments of good foods, drinks, nice hotel, flight etc and you expect such person to settle down and not see marriage as burden or cage were the hubby may be giving her 50k per month for family feeding.
It's a crazy world approaching us bro

It's only crazy because we men who are supposed to be the rational leaders and movers actually support this irrational behaviour just because we want to have sex. Any woman can be easily moulded; all it takes is a strong willed man who doesn't think with his genitals and doesn't 'fall in love' like a dumb teenager.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by crackhaus: 6:08am On Dec 09, 2019
bukatyne:

I will modify to say they loved someone else and for a myraid of reasons, did not marry them.

So they are stuck with someone else for convenience and soon enough, the center no longer holds.

There w is a difference because someone who has never loved and just picked any partner with someone in love once, never resolved or got closure and marrying someone else.

This is another reason altogether, but not a modification of my statement.

Even among those who married the person of their dreams, the person whom they always wanted to be with, love in its most raw expression is something that is so rare to find these days.

3 Likes

Re: Why The Rampant Cases Of Divorce? Married Folks Please Share Your Experience. by emmaodet: 10:50am On Dec 09, 2019
bukatyne:

Buka believe me, even if everybody marries who they love, a lot of marriages will still have issues or crash today because as grow older, our taste and wants changes.
That man/woman you think you love and want may turn out to be your nightmare when realities of paying bills, flirting etc sets in.
I know of friends who married the person they love(some even virgins) but not finding it easy today.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ok / Why Is It So Hard To Understand Nigerian Men / When Sleep Eludes Me...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.