Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,117 members, 7,821,829 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

Emeagwali Lied Again! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emeagwali Lied Again! (7628 Views)

The Gang-up Against Emeagwali Is Ethnically Motivated / Government To Investigate Emeagwali / How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 22, 2010
texazzpete:

here we go again

the only reason SR,Next and nairaland dwell on IBB is because he drives traffic to their sites

happy debating/insulting anyway,

while IBB is busy making money,others are busy talkin'

See what i did there?

nice try texx, but there is no comparison between the 2 individuals

while IBB got rich and still wants more on the back of Nigeria public funds,Emeagwali is no politician and has gotten nothing financially from Nigeria.

I agree IBB also drives traffic to sites,but wait for the election

He can drive traffic to sites,but he cannot drive people to vote for him.

Emeagwali ,on the other hand does not need nor seek recognition from Nigeria/Nigerians.He hates Nigeria anyway.I dont know why some people are losing sleep over a man who does not care if the country ceases to exist tomorrow.He has taken all his immediate relatives to the US and has not set foot in Nigeria for more than 20 years. i doubt he even has a Nigerian passport now.

That says a lot
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Guyman02: 10:55am On Nov 22, 2010
maintain10:

It's hard to say who invented the Internet. There were many mathematicians and scientists who contributed to its development; computers were sending signals to each other as early as the 1950s. But the Web owes much of its existence to Philip Emeagwali, a math whiz who came up with the formula for allowing a large number of computers to communicate at once. Emeagwali was born to a poor family in Akure, Nigeria, in 1954. Despite his brain for math, he had to drop out of school because his family, who had become war refugees, could no longer afford to send him. The only step left was to find 8 machines and connect them. (Remember, it was the 80s.) Through research, he found a machine called the Connection Machine at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, which had sat unused after scientists had given up on figuring out how to make it simulate nuclear explosions. The machine was designed to run 65,536 interconnected microprocessors. In 1987, he applied for and was given permission to use the machine, and remotely from his Ann Arbor, Michigan, location he set the parameters and ran his program. In addition to correctly computing the amount of oil in the simulated reservoir, the machine was able to perform 3.1 billion calculations per second. The crux of the discovery was that Emeagwali had programmed each of the microprocessors to talk to six neighboring microprocessors at the same time. The success of this record-breaking experiment meant that there was now a practical and inexpensive way to use machines like this to speak to each other all over the world. Within a few years, the oil industry had seized upon this idea, then called the Hyperball International Network creating a virtual world wide web of ultrafast digital communication. The discovery earned him the Institute of Electronics and Electrical Engineers' Gordon Bell Prize in 1989, considered the Nobel Prize of computing, and he was later hailed as one of the fathers of the Internet. Since then, he has won more than 100 prizes for his work and Apple computer has used his microprocessor technology in their Power Mac G4 model. Today he lives in Washington with his wife and son. "The Internet as we know it today did not cross my mind," Emeagwali told TIME. "I was hypothesizing a planetary-sized supercomputer and, broadly speaking, my focus was on how the present creates the future and how our image of the future inspires the present."

Thank God for this guy, Awolowo almost frustrated Philip by making his parents so poor with his 20 pound policy and using hunger as a weapon of war against the Igbos. I wonder how many Emeagwalis that were lost in the refugee camps that he survived?
Philip, Philip, Philip! How many times did I call you? Please ignore all this Amebos and Olofofos. Thank U!
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by chino11(m): 11:01am On Nov 22, 2010
maintain10:

It's hard to say who invented the Internet. There were many mathematicians and scientists who contributed to its development; computers were sending signals to each other as early as the 1950s. But the Web owes much of its existence to Philip Emeagwali, a math whiz who came up with the formula for allowing a large number of computers to communicate at once. Emeagwali was born to a poor family in Akure, Nigeria, in 1954. Despite his brain for math, he had to drop out of school because his family, who had become war refugees, could no longer afford to send him. As a young man, he earned a general education certificate from the University of London and later degrees from George Washington University and the University of Maryland, as well as a doctoral fellowship from the University of Michigan. At Michigan, he participated in the scientific community's debate on how to simulate the detection of oil reservoirs using a supercomputer. Growing up in an oil-rich nation and understanding how oil is drilled, Emeagwali decided to use this problem as the subject of his doctoral dissertation. Borrowing an idea from a science fiction story about predicting the weather, Emeagwali decided that rather than using 8 expensive supercomputers he would employ thousands of microprocessors to do the computation. The only step left was to find 8 machines and connect them. (Remember, it was the 80s.) Through research, he found a machine called the Connection Machine at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, which had sat unused after scientists had given up on figuring out how to make it simulate nuclear explosions. The machine was designed to run 65,536 interconnected microprocessors. In 1987, he applied for and was given permission to use the machine, and remotely from his Ann Arbor, Michigan, location he set the parameters and ran his program. In addition to correctly computing the amount of oil in the simulated reservoir, the machine was able to perform 3.1 billion calculations per second. The crux of the discovery was that Emeagwali had programmed each of the microprocessors to talk to six neighboring microprocessors at the same time. The success of this record-breaking experiment meant that there was now a practical and inexpensive way to use machines like this to speak to each other all over the world. Within a few years, the oil industry had seized upon this idea, then called the Hyperball International Network creating a virtual world wide web of ultrafast digital communication. The discovery earned him the Institute of Electronics and Electrical Engineers' Gordon Bell Prize in 1989, considered the Nobel Prize of computing, and he was later hailed as one of the fathers of the Internet. Since then, he has won more than 100 prizes for his work and Apple computer has used his microprocessor technology in their Power Mac G4 model. Today he lives in Washington with his wife and son. "The Internet as we know it today did not cross my mind," Emeagwali told TIME. "I was hypothesizing a planetary-sized supercomputer and, broadly speaking, my focus was on how the present creates the future and how our image of the future inspires the present."

Thump up maintain10. I know for sure that this is the height of ethnic envy from the Yoruba sect. What Prof Emeagwali has achieved Yorubas both home and in diaspora can never come near such feat not to talk of achieving it. What Emeagwali's records are mind-blowing and a major intimadation to Yoruba sect. They are defeated people who felt that the best way to get to Emeagwali is by writing trash.  
America has the best investigator in the world they did not see anything when Clinton pronounced Emeagwali 'the Bill Gates of Africa and father of internet by Times/CNN respectively. It is even ojuelegba unprofessional professor produced in the yorubaland who have not achieved anything has come to attack him on the webpages.
Silly Yoruba people Nigerian nation hates you people. You killed Dele giwa, killed Abiola, killed funsho williams. Is like there is no other person to kill with your dirtiness. You people will not see Prof Emeagwali.

Ofe mmanu people, Prof Emeagwali is ahead of you by countries not even miles.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Mesef1: 11:03am On Nov 22, 2010
OH MY COUNTRY PEOPLE I HAIL THEE!

Going thru some posts on this tread, you will see clearly why our country is as backward and far buried in the woods as it is today.

When Governors loot their state treasuries in Nigeria and they are investigated/caught, we'll say "it is politically motivated"

When Senate Presidents/Speakers are found to be corrupt, their kinsmen will say, "leave him alone, he is our son/daughter".

When high profile rogues in the corridors of power are cuaght, we'll say, "he is not the only one, others have done it before"

Now. Emeagwali has been found to be a serial liar and intellectual fraudster, some of us are saying "it is racial discrimination or borne out of jealousy for a blackman's achievement", "why should we investigate him when Uncle Sam is not?" (This is somebody who is on our national postage stamp, SOMEBODY WHO IS NOT DIFFERENT FROM MUTALLAB IN SHATTERING OUR ALREADY BATTERED IMAGE).

OH NIGERIANS, I HAIL THEE!
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by monkeyleg: 11:07am On Nov 22, 2010
Why dont we put as much effort into condemning our corrupt leaders, and eventually drive them out. Whilst I agree that what he might have done is wrong, and condemnable, I can fail to see this as a very cheap target.

The biggest problem facing our nation is corrupt and failed leadership, I think it is imperative that we speand most of our effort in getting it right, the rest, including the above will fall in place.

Shouldn't we be condemning in the strongest terms the current craziness in government?
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 11:08am On Nov 22, 2010
Guyman02:

Thank God for this guy, [s]Awolowo almost frustrated Philip by making his parents so poor with his 20 pound policy and using hunger as a weapon of war against the Igbos.[/s] I wonder[b] how many Emeagwalis that were lost in the refugee camps that he survived?
[/b]
Philip, Philip, Philip! How many times did I call you? Please ignore all this Amebos and Olofofos. Thank U!
I guess the ones that survived ended up as motorboy and spare part dealers ! Moro n
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by excoba101: 11:16am On Nov 22, 2010
. . . . so says the guy whose writing is so terrible that he doesnt know when to use SHUT in place of SHOT!!!

ROFLMAO!!!

grin Yeah! grin
As if you never made any mistake on here similar to that. grin
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by violent(m): 11:18am On Nov 22, 2010
monkeyleg:

Why dont we put as much effort into condemning our corrupt leaders, and eventually drive them out. Whilst I agree that what he might have done is wrong, and condemnable, I can fail to see this as a very cheap target.

The biggest problem facing our nation is corrupt and failed leadership, I think it is imperative that we speand most of our effort in getting it right, the rest, including the above will fall in place.

Shouldn't we be condemning in the strongest terms the current craziness in government?

This dude is alleged to be a fraud and all you, as well as many others are simple saying is we should let him be? are we all now without morals?

The dude is not a private person anymore, he bears his name on the national postage stamp, if he's fraud then we shouldn't keep quiet about that, he needs to be investigated.

Why should a foreign employer for example, accept and consider job application documents sent in a post with a liar's face stamped at the back of it? there is something called integrity, no well meaning Nigerian should ever support what is wrong, if we want to purge out corruption, we should start within the family.

He's a genius? Yes he is

He achieved a lot? Yes he did

He lied about his qualifications? Yes he did

Should we celebrate him?. . . . definitely not!
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 11:21am On Nov 22, 2010
Me sef:

OH MY COUNTRY PEOPLE I HAIL THEE!

Going thru some posts on this tread, you will see clearly why our country is as backward and far buried in the woods as it is today.

When Governors loot their state treasuries in Nigeria and they are investigated/caught, we'll say "it is politically motivated"

When Senate Presidents/Speakers are found to be corrupt, their kinsmen will say, "leave him alone, he is our son/daughter".

When high profile rogues in the corridors of power are cuaght, we'll say, "he is not the only one, others have done it before"

Now. Emeagwali has been found to be a serial liar and intellectual fraudster, some of us are saying "it is racial discrimination or borne out of jealousy for a blackman's achievement", "why should we investigate him when Uncle Sam is not?" (This is somebody who is on our national postage stamp, SOMEBODY WHO IS NOT DIFFERENT FROM MUTALLAB IN SHATTERING OUR ALREADY BATTERED IMAGE).

OH NIGERIANS, I HAIL THEE!
Na we see am o.the same hypocrites were quick to nail Mutallab for his crime.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 11:41am On Nov 22, 2010
for all those money minded dolts blathering about emegwali still making his money - maybe you lot will pay for his next motivational speaker circuit. i doubt anyone will touch him with a six foot pole -

all you ethnic jingoist defenders of deception and mediocrity - eat that crow kiss kiss kiss
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 11:45am On Nov 22, 2010
violent:

He's a genius? Yes he is

He achieved a [b]lot
? Yes he did[/b]

He lied about his qualifications? Yes he did

Should we celebrate him?. . . . definitely not!

even those facts are subjective - i pointed out that emegwali is like a 3 year job hunter with a 2'2 who has the fact that he cme first in jss examinations as the highlight of his cv.

yes the gordon bell prize was an achievement - for a student, but he has not followed it up with anything since then (20 years ago). thats what i believe is called a flash in the pan - sort of like nigeria football in the 1994 olympics.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by DapoBear(m): 11:47am On Nov 22, 2010
oyb:

sort of like nigeria football in the 1994 olympics. 

sad sad sad

Nigerian football will rise again one day, I hope.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 11:49am On Nov 22, 2010
DapoBear:

sad sad sad

Nigerian football will rise again one day, I hope.

so will emegwali cheesy cheesy cheesy one day when he stops trying to bamboozle

in the days before the net, he could have pulled this off, but in a global village . .
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by basher(m): 11:51am On Nov 22, 2010
violent:

This dude is alleged to be a fraud and all you, as well as many others are simple saying is we should let him be? are we all now without morals?

Like you said "alleged".

Omo, let's face it this whole thing is tribal. Haba!! Anyone who cannot see that has his head stuck far up his arse.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Jarus(m): 11:54am On Nov 22, 2010
The homepage title got me grin grin grin
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by jason12345: 11:58am On Nov 22, 2010
basher:

Like you said "alleged".

Omo, let's face it this whole thing is tribal. Haba!! Anyone who cannot see that has his head stuck far up his arse.

how is it tribal? in as much as i do not support the "witch hunt". i think if he is honest, i see no reason for him not to refute the allegation. i believe it is quite naive and narrow minded to think it is ethnic related. why don't they bring up anything about wole?? that is because there is nothing to bring out! but they keep finding things against philip. . . . .  i don't think it would end soon until he tries to shut them up!

btw, you have to the hypocrisy in that and the muttalab case
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by otokx(m): 11:59am On Nov 22, 2010
The truth is bitter but its eternal.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by basher(m): 12:01pm On Nov 22, 2010
jason12345:

how is i tribal? in as much as i do not support the "witch hunt". i think if he is honest, i see no reason for him not to refute the allegation. i believe it is quite naive and narrow minded to think it is ethnic related. why don't they bring up anything about wole?? that is because there is nothing to bring out! but they keep finding things against philip. . . . .  i don't think it would end soon until he tries to shut them up!

And tell me who is making these allegations??
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by jason12345: 12:02pm On Nov 22, 2010
basher:

And tell me who is making these allegations??

the media! why can't he prove them wrong? btw, i have added to my previous post
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by basher(m): 12:05pm On Nov 22, 2010
I'm not in any form trying to compare the two individuals, but if Obama went around replying to every allegation written about him by any obscure site (like Sahara Reporters), would that make sense??

jason12345:

the media! why can't he prove them wrong? btw, i have added to my previous post

What media are we talking about here? Can u pls be specific.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by aanuOBA: 12:10pm On Nov 22, 2010
but wetin gan? who no dey lie? who no go still lie? so even if the guy don lie, abeg, free am. but if you bi saint, cast the "first" stone.

, and really, na people weh dey lie pas dey "stab" pas o. go lie una own. abi, wetin self.

mi i don lie plenty "plentily", just free am. wondering sha
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by basher(m): 12:13pm On Nov 22, 2010
It's quite tempting to come to the conclusion that he doesn't take these allegations seriously enough to warrant a direct reply.

That must really hurt (ie being ignored).
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 22, 2010
basher:

It's quite tempting to come to the conclusion that he doesn't take these allegations seriously enough to warrant a direct reply.

That must really hurt (ie being ignored).

perhaps you should stop chaing your tail and read the first post -

your hero is replying the allegations - but you know what they say - one lie requires 10 to back it up

at this rate emegwali will set a unified theory of deception record cheesy cheesy
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by basher(m): 12:24pm On Nov 22, 2010
oyb:

your hero is replying the allegations - but you know what they say - one lie requires 10 to back it up

at this rate emegwali will set a unified theory of deception record  cheesy cheesy

My hero?!! Hang on a minute here. I thought he was a supposed to be a "Nigerian" who has disgraced us abroad. Hmmmm?? We seem to be getting somewhere here.

Publishing a write up in his site does not equate to a direct reply.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by aparata: 12:31pm On Nov 22, 2010
BOOK FACE or whatever u called ur self,i wonda wetin dey peper u for body,i he has ten or 1 degree what is ur problem with that.this is our guy that the whole world know he is doing well they just wan take the glory due for nigerians and give to europe,u better don write on this site again if ur not nigerian,this site is meant for nigerians
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by monkeyleg: 12:34pm On Nov 22, 2010
@Violent

I have noot asked to excuse the guy, contrary, rather we should be focusing on issues which have far more impact on us. Now tell me which is more destructive  Oga backing a know election Cheat or some Scientist lying about his achievements.

now is we have an effective government in place, this kind of rubbish will be at a minimum.

Rather than venting all our anger on this guy, Lets face our lying, cheating, stealing decieving, Governors, House of Reps, Senators and President, Politician in general
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by basher(m): 12:36pm On Nov 22, 2010
oyb:

I've read the first post AGAIN. Followed the link back to an even more obscure website to an article written by one "Musikilu Mojeed" with a reference to one "Prof Adesuyi Ajayi".

Hmmm?? Now we are really getting somewhere.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by reindeer: 12:59pm On Nov 22, 2010
I now conclude: Nigeria can never forge ahead.
Reason?All the lame duck excuses given for lies, deceit, stealing,etc.It is unbelievable that the generation that should be demanding accountability is also falling into the ditches of ''he's our own'' so he can lie.'They don't like our tribe' bla bla bla.
Those small minds should remember we celebrate Okonjo Iweala, Ezekwesili, Achebe,Chike Obi, Chimamanda etc up till this day, so a tribal excuse is just showing the obvious about those defenders of a liar,they are also scammers!
You folks defending this should realise something, you lose the moral standing to correct you kids if they tell lies, afterall, they are ''your own''
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 22, 2010
Firtly lets all stop parading this Nigerian culture quoting unverified statements,, any sane individual would do some online research of ur own b4 believing wat sahara are saying! go to cnn.com or bbc.com and look for any articles relating to this issue, and belive u me u wont find even one. And that goes to find it important enough to investigate show theres something amiss here. If such notable international news giants havnt reported this then any person with half a brain would instead of accusing the man do some searching of your own and post urls for others to notable news sites b4 u go all out and support an obviously biased grp of journalists like sahara reporters, i mean seriously follow a more credible source people! and
@seun be non partisan your title of this thread wouldnt be permited on a more high class site

@reindeer -go figure
@oyb- u sound naive
@VALIDATOR -u talk too much
@VALIDATOR -thumbs up,
@babapupa-u sound like an idiot
@Princek12- stupidity echoes a lot through u
@Mariory- pls were there is doubt keep quiet! u said totally nonsense
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 22, 2010
lestat:

Firtly lets all stop parading this Nigerian culture quoting unverified statements,, any sane individual would do some online research of your own b4 believing wat sahara are saying! go to cnn.com or bbc.com and look for any articles relating to this issue, and belive u me u wont find even one. And that goes to find it important enough to investigate show theres something amiss here. If such notable international news giants havnt reported this then any person with half a brain would instead of accusing the man do some searching of your own and post urls for others to notable news sites b4 u go all out and support an obviously biased grp of journalists like sahara reporters, i mean seriously follow a more credible source people! and
@seun be non partisan your title of this thread wouldnt be permited on a more high class site

@reindeer -go figure
@oyb- u sound naive
@VALIDATOR -thumbs up,
@babapupa-u sound like an
And who made you the judge ? Dikhead
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 22, 2010
lestat:

Firtly lets all stop parading this Nigerian culture quoting unverified statements,, any sane individual would do some online research of your own b4 believing wat sahara are saying! go to cnn.com or bbc.com and look for any articles relating to this issue, and belive u me u wont find even one. And that goes to find it important enough to investigate show theres something amiss here. If such notable international news giants havnt reported this then any person with half a brain would instead of accusing the man do some searching of your own and post urls for others to notable news sites b4 u go all out and support an obviously biased grp of journalists like sahara reporters, i mean seriously follow a more credible source people! and

@reindeer -go figure
@oyb- u sound naive
@VALIDATOR -thumbs up,
@babapupa-u sound like an

little pikin, we have been thrashing out this issue of emegwali for years.

the mans cup is finally full
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by passyjango(m): 4:22pm On Nov 22, 2010
I do not even know what the issue here is. Why do you say Emeagwali is a fraud? The most important question to ask here is, did Emeagwali win a Gordon Bell Prize in 1989, which according to Times is considered a Nobel Prize for computing? For me any attack on the credibility of Emeagwali should focus on this, because it is based on this achievement that he based his claim as a Father of the Internet. It is not the number of degrees he had or whether he had PHD or whether it is marine or civil engineering that makes him a Father of the Internet. It is the Gordon Bell Prize that makes him one of the greatest scientific minds Nigeria has ever produced. So, to discredit Emeagwali, you have to focus on the prize, not on the degrees.

Focusing on his degrees and other little matters seems to me like a desperate attempt by his opponents. It also makes me align with people who claim that most of the accusations against Emeagwali is driven by malice, ignorance, and tribal hate. My Advice to anyone who wants to read about Emeagwali is to go to international media. That is where you know what is making the news. Nigerian Journalists are poorly paid and hence receive brown envelops to write whatever rubbish you desire.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Policemen Involved In Money Scrambling At Tinubu’s Trial To Be Arrested / Enugu Assembly Passes Bill Banning Okada / PDP Can't Be Alternative To APC- Oyegun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.