Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

Emeagwali Lied Again! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emeagwali Lied Again! (7629 Views)

The Gang-up Against Emeagwali Is Ethnically Motivated / Government To Investigate Emeagwali / How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by jmaine: 4:59pm On Nov 22, 2010
texazzpete:

Do you clowns know how many famous scientists have been ridiculed by the international community after they were found to have been involved in fraud and hoaxes?

The same people who were salivating at the news that some of the global warming claims had been doctored are now the ones whining about Nigerians pulling others down.

Ah, an e-threat! How scary  grin

Even the US who happened to be the biggest antagonist to the Global warming claim have suddenly realized that indeed the threat of global warming threat was real ( Copehangen 2009 climate conference) and am wondering who were salivating about the claims of Pro US capitalist sentiments until they came to their senses. Now back to the topic. it is so sad the[b] Genius[/b] Emeagwali doesn't have your time and doesn't even know a frail individual like you even exist, so no matter what you say or feel the man remains great. You can't change that bro and it's quite unfortunate for you if you should attract my pity.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by basher(m): 5:08pm On Nov 22, 2010
reindeer:

Those small minds should remember we celebrate Okonjo Iweala, Ezekwesili, Achebe,Chike Obi, Chimamanda etc up till this day, so a tribal excuse is just showing the obvious about those defenders of a liar,they are also scammers!

How disgustingly patronizing

You post would have made more sense if you had included people like Ben Okri and Wole Soyinka in the list of people we celebrate. By limiting that list to people of Igbo extraction, you are concluding that anybody who questions the validity or the motive behind these allegations is Igbo. What does this then make you?? More dangerously, you have concluded that these allegations are true.

On the contrary, it is people like you blinded by (ethnicity) that jump to biased conclusions that are the problem with Nigeria. You try to come across as unbiased but failed woefully.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by violent(m): 5:08pm On Nov 22, 2010
passyjango:

I do not even know what the issue here is. Why do you say Emeagwali is a fraud? The most important question to ask here is, did Emeagwali win a Gordon Bell Prize in 1989, which according to Times is considered a Nobel Prize for computing? For me any attack on the credibility of Emeagwali should focus on this, because it is based on this achievement that he based his claim as a Father of the Internet. It is not the number of degrees he had or whether he had PHD or whether it is marine or civil engineering that makes him a Father of the Internet. It is the Gordon Bell Prize that makes him one of the greatest scientific minds Nigeria has ever produced. So, to discredit Emeagwali, you have to focus on the prize, not on the degrees.

Focusing on his degrees and other little matters seems to me like a desperate attempt by his opponents. It also makes me align with people who claim that most of the accusations against Emeagwali is driven by malice, ignorance, and tribal hate. My Advice to anyone who wants to read about Emeagwali is to go to international media. That is where you know what is making the news. Nigerian Journalists are poorly paid and hence receive brown envelops to write whatever rubbish you desire.

Tribal hate? who cares really? that's not going to add a dime to my income! but definitely, a fraudulent liar being on a National stamp will dent my country's image and that's why i speak!

its funny how you aim to convince readers to ignore whatever fraudulent discrepancies in his degree claim, in UK, in May, a woman was jailed for 6 months for lying on her CV that she had A level results.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/03/27/woman-jailed-for-lying-on-cv-that-she-had-a-levels-115875-22141285/

If it had been the other way round and she had been fortunate to be a Nigerian, her kinsmen would be threatening civil war cos "She's our daughter and she's being ethnically/racially discriminated against"
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by dayokanu(m): 5:09pm On Nov 22, 2010
The first Emeagwali thread I saw on NL was opened by Ugwumba and 4play

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-19285.0.html

4play and Ugwumba are Igbo guys, Those were the days when Intellectuals were on NL not these bunch that cant even make an intelligent argument.

Simple question Is Emeagwali guilty of embellishing his credentials ot not? Even the Minister of Information who is Igbo  has something to say to that effect. Yet loafers on NL come here to play the tribal card

Its a simple case of what is true and whats not.

If you find out that Soyinka, Chike Obi, Okonjo-Iweala, Segun Aganga etc lied about their achievements bring it out,

I am curious if the Emeagwali supporters here ever condemned or criticized Salisu Buhari who did the same thing?

So if an Hausa man stole we should all scream that its tribal witch hunting?
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by basher(m): 5:17pm On Nov 22, 2010
@violent

If these allegations were to have been made in some respectable media like the uk mirror, then that would have been a different issue cause we know that they probably would have done thier home work properly. But common, Sahara Reporters?? 234Next?? Is is not the same SR that said Obasajo was an Igbo man cause he bore a slight resemblance to some policeman??
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 22, 2010
dayokanu:

4play and Ugwumba are Igbo guys, Those were the days when Intellectuals were on NL not these bunch that cant even make an intelligent argument.

Simple question[b] Is Emeagwali guilty of embellishing his credentials ot not?[/b] Even the Minister of Information who is Igbo  has something to say to that effect. Yet loafers on NL come here to play the tribal card

If you find out that Soyinka, Chike Obi, Okonjo-Iweala, Segun Aganga etc lied about their achievements bring it out,

I am curious if the Emeagwali supporters here ever condemned or criticized Salisu Buhari who did the same thing?

Actually,they understand that the guy is a fraudster but we should cover the case and make it a night burial.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by basher(m): 5:23pm On Nov 22, 2010
dayokanu:

Simple question Is Emeagwali guilty of embellishing his credentials ot not?

You answer that question, because in the eyes of some people he has already been tried and sentenced. They don't want to know at all, at all. For them, the allegation (irrespective of the source) is good enough for them.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by passyjango(m): 5:33pm On Nov 22, 2010
violent:

Tribal hate? who cares really? that's not going to add a dime to my income! but definitely, a fraudulent liar being on a National stamp will dent my country's image and that's why i speak!

its funny how you aim to convince readers to ignore whatever fraudulent discrepancies in his degree claim, in UK, in May, a woman was jailed for 6 months for lying on her CV that she had A level results.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/03/27/woman-jailed-for-lying-on-cv-that-she-had-a-levels-115875-22141285/

If it had been the other way round and she had been fortunate to be a Nigerian, her kinsmen would be threatening civil war cos "She's our daughter and she's being ethnically/racially discriminated against"

The question is why is Emeagwali on our stamp? Is it because he has 6 degrees? Is it because he has PHD.? Obviously not, there are many Nigerians with more than 6 degrees who are not on any Nigerian stamp. He is on our stamp because he won the Gordon Bell Prize for a research that makes him a Father of the Internet, something that only a few people in Africa or even the world can lay claim to.

So my point is that to discredit this great intellectual, you have to focus on the credibility of the prize and on nothing else, because what defines Emeagwali today is that prize.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by naijaking1: 6:41pm On Nov 22, 2010
dayokanu:

Simple question Is Emeagwali guilty of embellishing his credentials ot not? Even the Minister of Information who is Igbo has something to say to that effect. Yet loafers on NL come here to play the tribal card

Hope you have more than Igbo-sounding name to prove that 'these are Igbo guys'
N/L is place where people use all sorts of names. ndu_chucks, Aloy Emeka, Igwe, etc are all Igbo sounding names, yet they're not Igbos.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 6:47pm On Nov 22, 2010
passyjango:

He is on our stamp

which is the more reason why he should be investigated.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by dayokanu(m): 6:53pm On Nov 22, 2010
naijaking1:

Hope you have more than Igbo-sounding name to prove that 'these are Igbo guys'
N/L is place where people use all sorts of names. ndu_chucks, Aloy Emeka, Igwe, etc are all Igbo sounding names, yet they're not Igbos.

Look through his posts and you would see.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by texazzpete(m): 7:09pm On Nov 22, 2010
basher:

You post would have made more sense if you had included people like Ben Okri and Wole Soyinka in the list of people we celebrate. By limiting that list to people of Igbo extraction, you are concluding that anybody who questions the validity or the motive behind these allegations is Igbo. What does this then make you?? More dangerously, you have concluded that these allegations are true.

On the contrary, it is people like you blinded by (ethnicity) that jump to biased conclusions that are the problem with Nigeria. You try to come across as unbiased but failed woefully.

Coming from you who has been trying to paint a picture of Emeagwali being hounded by the Yoruba media, this post of yours is dripping with hypocrisy!
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by houvest: 7:48pm On Nov 22, 2010
dayokanu:

Simple question Is Emeagwali guilty of embellishing his credentials ot not? Even the Minister of Information who is Igbo  has something to say to that effect. Yet loafers on NL come here to play the tribal card

Do two guys open a thread or one? Confusing.  I checked your link and found it was only one person that opened the thread as it should be, 4  play. You should have said Ugwumba argued against Emeagwali not that both of them opened the thread. So simple question. Are you guilty of embelishing your post or not and does that now make you a fraud? As much as I do not agree with allegations of  a tribal gang-up against Emeagwali, the discourse is tilting more and more  that way and your post does not help matters here. Even the Minister you mentioned has/d a running battle with Soludo, his brother-in-law, showing that neigbhours do disagree even those from the same womb. Besides she has not indicted Emeagwali before the verdict of the enquiry comes in or are you already taking an investigation to mean a condemnation? What you should encourage is a search for the truth by everyone not dropping names here and there that prove nothing and surreptitiously making innuendoes. The whole matter is still in the realm of allegation. No proofs yet. It is possible Igbomen and women were the first to post on these allegations and went ahead and argued against Emeagwali but I know that Yoruba and other  ethnics joined back then to defend him, but what are we seeing here. The defence appear one-sided and  the attack same. So it is boiling down to tribal loyalties. In such a fiasco, room for logical deductions ceases as well as our search for the next Nigerian Gordon Bell Prize winner.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by bkbabe97y(m): 7:58pm On Nov 22, 2010
passyjango:

I do not even know what the issue here is. Why do you say Emeagwali is a fraud? The most important question to ask here is, did Emeagwali win a Gordon Bell Prize in 1989, which according to Times is considered a Nobel Prize for computing? For me any attack on the credibility of Emeagwali should focus on this, because it is based on this achievement that he based his claim as a Father of the Internet. It is not the number of degrees he had or whether he had PHD or whether it is marine or civil engineering that makes him a Father of the Internet. It is the Gordon Bell Prize that makes him one of the greatest scientific minds Nigeria has ever produced. So, to discredit Emeagwali, you have to focus on the prize, not on the degrees.

Focusing on his degrees and other little matters seems to me like a desperate attempt by his opponents. It also makes me align with people who claim that most of the accusations against Emeagwali is driven by malice, ignorance, and tribal hate. My Advice to anyone who wants to read about Emeagwali is to go to international media. That is where you know what is making the news. Nigerian Journalists are poorly paid and hence receive brown envelops to write whatever rubbish you desire.

Ok, was gonna retort, but, ure obviously insane. . . . . .
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Tokotaya: 8:17pm On Nov 22, 2010
Truth has no tribe. If this guy has fraudulently advanced himself, he does not deserve the accolade he has received and neither does he deserve anybody's support, be they Igbo, Yoruba or Fulani. What a fraudulent claim brings home to us all at the end of the day is collective shame. We are not a country of fraudsters and conmen. We have men and women who have toiled and genuinely achieved greatness from across the world. Those ones deserve to be on our stamps. A fraudulent person should not supplant them on those stamps.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by blackcypha(m): 8:44pm On Nov 22, 2010
WTF?
WHAT DOES ALL THAT MEAN?
HAS THESE REPORTS BEEN CONFIRMED?so wat don
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by houvest: 9:00pm On Nov 22, 2010
Tokotaya:

Truth has no tribe. If this guy has fraudulently advanced himself, he does not deserve the accolade he has received and neither does he deserve anybody's support, be they Igbo, Yoruba or Fulani. What a fraudulent claim brings home to us all at the end of the day is collective shame. We are not a country of fraudsters and conmen. We have men and women who have toiled and genuinely achieved greatness from across the world. Those ones deserve to be on our stamps. A fraudulent person should not supplant them on those stamps.

The million dollar condition but alas 'innocent till proven guilty' has been expunged from NL phrases by the spambot.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by hercules07: 9:03pm On Nov 22, 2010
The guy is not the father of the internet, he had no hand in the protocols that make the internet work, he has not been on any of the committees of the IEEE or OSI or any of the companies that defined the internet. The claim of father of the internet is a fraud
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Skidoc(m): 9:05pm On Nov 22, 2010
Aloy_Emeka, with all due respect, you are talking rubbish. You are someone I like a lot on this forum but you fall my hand for this one.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by passyjango(m): 9:22pm On Nov 22, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Ok, was gonna retort, but, ure obviously insane. . . . . .

It is your father that is insane, Idiot. tongue

hercules07:

The guy is not the father of the internet, he had no hand in the protocols that make the internet work, he has not been on any of the committees of the IEEE or OSI or any of the companies that defined the internet. The claim of father of the internet is a fraud

You do not need to be in IEEE to be a father of internet. People like John Von Neumann, Blaise Pascal, even the inventors of the transitor and IC without which there will be no internet are all fathers of the internet. They where not members of any IEEE protocol or are they? Emeagwali is in there league because of his ground breaking research, for which he was recognised. No reputable international media has discredited his work for now.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by houvest: 9:31pm On Nov 22, 2010
hercules07:

Who made that claim? Emeagwali or CNN? And it is 'a' not 'the' See other accolades by other media before you come out here and say he claimed them.

"The Web owes much of its existence to Philip Emeagwali" - TIME magazine
"A father of the Internet" - CNN
"One of the great minds of the Information Age", "Bill Gates of Africa" - Bill Clinton (The White House)
BBC Hails Emeagwali as "Digital Giant"

See a rebutal posted on another NL thread?

[b]
Djcn

Re: Philip Emeagwali – Genius Or Crook?
« #24 on: October 12, 2008, 09:46 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this is a nice and interesting topic, but funny enough i can be on any side and still give facts for my posts.
Actually, the man has some controversial history and that is so because of various writters and views.
In the light of the above, it is very easy to get the facts, for one i always tell anyone that the internet has more falsehood than truth in it, and so the fact that a website contains some information does not necessarily mean it is true. I can create a website and feed it with whatever information i like.

even at that, there are sites which are official sites, and they contain authentic information,
Well, i dont want to be involved in a debate with anyone, but i find some flaws almost in every posts in this thread concerning Philip Emeagwali.

Starting with the poster, Philip Emeagwali won the Gordon Bell prize alone in the year he won it. He was the only individual to win the Gordon Bell Prize alone while eight researchers from MIT shared the other Gordon Bell Prize. The fact is that an 8-man MIT team tied with only one-man. Check the Gordon site for details.

The word "fastest computer" can be used in a relative sense and could sometimes be a confusing term. For those who care, check out facts about fastest supercomputers ever built and you will see that most times it depends on the purpose of the comp and who the criterias used for assessment.

As far as I'm aware, he's never designed or built a computer in his life, and there is no claim to that even in his website. The Gordon Bell prize he won was for a numerical achievement; the highest number of floating point operations per second achieved when using the computer for a particular application domain. In other words, at the time he won the award, he had his computer cranking over more numbers per second for doing geophysical simulations than anyone else had in the past. This was not an influencial project because there was no published papers for this research.

The Gordon bell's prize can be viewed as a "supercomputing's Nobel Prize". The Gordon Bell prize has $5,000 while the Turing has $25,000 while the Nobel Prize has one million dollars. The Field's Medal is called the Nobel Prize of mathematics yet it has zero financial reward. So the cash rewards doesn't matter.

The Turing Award is not a supercomputing award. For the record, the Gordon Bell prize is supercomputing's top prize and by default the Nobel Prize of supercomputing. The IEEE Gordon Bell Prize-winning works are published in IEEE publications and publicly defended at the annual Supercomputing conference which draws 10,000 attendees. The Turing Award is a private closed-door selection process.
Both awards are of different classes, has a link with ACM and the Turing awards also boasts of the equivalent nobel in computing.

His biography [emeagwali.info] claimed "41 discoveries" while  secondary sources claimed " patents."  The fact remains that he filed patents has never been disputed by any sources even the USPTO.

You have submitted 41 inventions to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office concerning seven technologies. Can you give us expanded details?

Philip Emeagwali - Inventors are reluctant to provided expanded details of their inventions until they receive full patent protection. The reason is that the Patent and Trademark Office can deny patents to inventors that publicly provided details of their invention. More on the inventors site

http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa111097a.htm

Philip Emeagwali was never a "father of the Internet" and made no significant contributions to the Internet's development. Philip Emeagwali did not invent the Internet. Pls don't forget that there are myths that about Tim Berners-Lee, and Al Gore also inventing the internet. No one invented the internet. Contributors includes

Leonard Kleinrock
J.C.R. Licklider 
Larry G. Roberts .
Bob Kahn and Vint Cerf
Radia Perlman

There is a difference between the web and the internet, someone is credited for inventing the car but wheels were already in existence even before the car was dreamed of, and so it goes. The web is the most integral part of the internet. The Time magazine, CNN, BBC and white house could not all have been wrong. They acknowledge his contributions to the internet.

If he is hailed as one of the fathers of the internet? The question i often ask is who are those hailing him? If the professionals are those hailing him then everyone should keep his mouth shut, otherwise the reverse also becomes true.

Nevertheless, based on the Bell Prize, he has since received numerous further awards, ranging from one from the World Bank-IMF Africa Club to being voted the "35th-greatest African of all time" in a survey by New African magazine. He has a number of awards.

His achievements were quoted in a speech by Bill Clinton as an example of what Nigerians could achieve when given the opportunity. The President of the United States as you know has computer scientists review the transcript of his televised speech for technical accuracy.

There are a dozen University of Michigan publications hailed Emeagwali as a genius whom the university officials spent three years courting. In the citiation below, the university's flagship publication called "Michigan Today" (February 1991) devoted a special issue on his work. The latter issue on Emeagwali was mailed to the university's 400,000 alumni.

Americans promotes theirs, the Britons do the same and sometimes i always come to realize that there is so much hype by western media of their nationals, many of which are untrue and we are forced to believe such. If nobody hypes Philip, his records speakes for himself and he has managed to survived in a stiffed-neked American society, who can sometimes view blacks as non-achievers.
Most of the websites serves as distractions and this applies to many others, if u read some posts about Bill gates, Steve Jobs, Linux Tolvards and others u think they not accomplished anything in this world. I know you would understand better.

SOURCES: Documents from the IEEE, Association for Computing Machinery, the Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, International Congress of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, The White House, seven universities (including the University of Michigan), dozens of books in Amazon.com.

Pls some persons are used to quoting from websites published by anonymous authors. Confirm such claims first.
If the university of michigan says he was a genius, i would not argue.

I believe everyone is a genuis.

Corrections are welcomed.[/b]
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Mbeki: 9:36pm On Nov 22, 2010
High_Chief:

Well said. They are all rejoicing.

Ileke how are you 2day? Have you seen your childhood pics with friends on my profile. I was glad when i found it

I don't think Ileke looked at that picture, were you guys fellows of the Shi.ting Institute??  LOL

Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by dayokanu(m): 9:54pm On Nov 22, 2010
blackcypha:

WTF?
WHAT DOES ALL THAT MEAN?
HAS THESE REPORTS BEEN CONFIRMED?so wat don

I thought I read in the OP that the schools he claimed were called and some denied that they awarded him such degree.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by ikennahill: 10:20pm On Nov 22, 2010
Leave emegwali alone.he is a great man no amount of blackmail can stop that.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by duduspace(m): 1:45am On Nov 23, 2010
Of all the write ups put up in Emeagwali's defence, the one from Houvest sounds most reasonable,  Emeagwali is indeed a man with more achievement than most of the posters here and he does have some claim to fame, it is quite wrong to compare him to Tim Berners Lee who came up with the initial idea for HTTP which did form the basis for a standard way of presenting information through browsers which subsequently led to the explosion of interest in the world wide web which we all still use today.

To be honest, I don't think he has done anything more than blow his trumpet a bit too loud, if those degrees he claimed to have are found to be fraudulent though, then he might also have to answer to the law.

Going by what I've now read about the research he did and judging by the fact that he has no technical patents, I don't think there is any basis whatsoever for anyone to refer to him as a "Father of the internet", that is total misinformation and it still amazes me that some creditable newsmedia and important personalities like CNN and Bill Clinton helped fuel these massive exaggerations of the truth, I'd like to believe they were also hoodwinked as I must say I also was initially.

Emeagwali trained as a Supercomputing engineer, won a price which is in no way near a Nobel price and contributed his bit to the advancement of knowledge in his own little way, he however did not do anything considered worthy of being patented or worthy of being awarded a PhD for, these are facts and not opinions which should be accepted by any educated Nigerian whether you are Hausa/Ibo/Yoruba or not even a Nigerian at all.

Emeagwali is a brilliant mind no doubt, even to be able to hype his meagre contribution to world wide fame requires a brilliant albeit not so sincere mind. The question is, should his image be on a Nigerian stamp as an example of what any young Nigerian should dream and aspire towards?  NO, I think not.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by HighChief4(m): 2:35am On Nov 23, 2010
Mbeki:

I don't think Ileke looked at that picture, were you guys fellows of the Shi.ting Institute?? LOL

She seen it already, nope i was not one of them
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by houvest: 5:32am On Nov 23, 2010
[b]Chioma Chielo: A Propagandist Disguising as Emeagwali's Kinsman on a Mission to Rubbish his Accomplishments!Back to Philip Emeagwali: The Great Black Scientist You Never Hear About!.Discussion BoardTopic view.Topic: Chioma Chielo: A Propagandist Disguising as Emeagwali's Kinsman on a Mission to Rubbish his Accomplishments!.Displaying all 5 posts, Ovbiedo

Why should one draw on the baseless propaganda and absurd mediocrity of a criticism being pandered by a non-existent Chioma Ezeilo to destroy the image of a scientist that is good enough to be awarded Gordon Bell Prize; worthy of an honorable mention by an American president; accomplished enough to be acknowledged by reputable American media such as CNN and Time magazine?

The name, Chioma Ezeilo, raises suspicion as to who really the persona is and his or her intentions. Chioma Ezeilo claims to be from Utah. According to Robert Merckel (whose article excerpt you can read below), from all background checks conducted, there is no such name as Chioma K. Ezeilo in the United States, let alone Utah. So, could it be that someone who has personal issues with Philip Emeagwali is disguising as Chioma Ezeilo to rubbish this scientist's name? Isn't that possible? In fact, by using this Pseudonym, this persona disguising as Chioma Ezeilo is ironically emblematic of "the abuse of cyber pseudo-anonymity," (which is the sub-title of his/her frivolous article about Emeagwali.

Another ridiculous thing is that all the false claims that this non-existent Chioma makes are not backed up by sources. Instead "Chioma Ezeilo" tries to maliciously discredit the acknowledgement of Emeagwali's accomplishments by CNN, Time magazine, and President Clinton. Chioma did not research how CNN got their information about Emeagwali, instead "she" assumes that CNN used an intern to get flawed information about Emeagwali. "She" also assumes that President Bill Clinton stupidly mentioned Emeagwlai as "a great mind of the information age." Chioma disregards the fact that presidential speeches are reviewed by experts for accuracy before they are presented.

"The History of the Internet," a book published by scholars who have done their research was discredited by Chioma because the authors acknowledged Emeagwali's achievements. "Her" criticisms of this book, like other criticisms of hers, were neither based on a counter-research nor on any form of facts and evidence, but on assumptions.

Chioma also went ahead to make unsubstantiated claims that the process for recognizing black achievers for the Black history month (during which emeagwali was recognized) is flawed. After making such a claim, Chioma refused to give reasons and/or evidence for making this grand assertion. Could it be that Chioma belongs to the ilk of those who concoct propaganda and rubbish the achievements of other Black acchievers like Martin Luther King Jr.?

All Chioma's claims are frivolous, malicious, unsubstantiated, misleading, derisive, destructive, absurd, concocted, and contorted. They have to be taken for what they are: an attempt to intellectually despoil right thinking human beings who believe in giving credit to whom credit is due.

Whoever disguises as Chioma Ezeilo is a coward, who could not come out to put up a sound and logical argument substantiated by facts and evidences. Chioma (whoever he/she is) presents a quarrel and not an argumant about Emeagwali. Only the weak-minded can buy into Chioma Ezeilo's quarrel, or at best, sophistry!

See below for excerpts from Robert Merckel's refutation of Chioma's claims:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Robert_Merkel/archive_3#Philip_Emeagwali

"Check your facts!

Remember the WIKI rule: "Please cite your sources so others can check your work." You cited fictitious and anonymous authors, ignoring documents from the IEEE, Association for Computing Machinery, the Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, International Congress of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, The White House, seven universities (including the University of Michigan), dozens of books in Amazon.com Don't reintroduce these factual inaccuracies. They will be deleted!

Below are numerous examples of factual inaccuracies. There are many many more inaccuracies to be revealed later.

FALSE STATEMENT (first sentence)

He "was one of five winners of the 1989 Gordon Bell prize."

THE FACT:

Emeagwali did not share the Gordon Bell Prize with five people. He won it alone.

You have given honorary authorship to five unknown and unnamed scientists. He was the only individual to win the Gordon Bell Prize alone while eight researchers from MIT shared the other Gordon Bell Prize. The fact is that an 8-man MIT team tied with only one-man, but you revised it to read that he shared with five people.

FACT CHECK on SECOND PARAGRAGH

You quoted two fictitious authors (Ezeilo and anonymous) and ignored published testimonials from leading computer scientist and ignored the President of the United States who (you'll guess) had computer scientists review the transcript of his televised speech for technical accuracy.

The NEW AFRICAN is the TIME magazine of Africa. You ignored their ranking of Emeagwali but choose to quote websites

published by anonymous authors.

FALSE STATEMENT

"Emeagwali heavily promotes himself as a speaker for conferences."

FACT CHECK He declines most speaking engagements and has never spoken in Africa in 31 years.

FALSE STATEMENT

A large number of websites [2] [3] named after famous inventors and other great achievers, particularly African ones, have been created to promote Emeagwali. They feature brief biographies of them (copied verbatim from sources such as Project Gutenberg public domain texts and the World Book Encyclopedia), surrounded by many links to Emeagwali's site.

The large number of links to Emeagwali's main site also boosts the prominence of it in search engines. The relevant domain name whois records list Donita Brown, Emeagwali's wife, as the technical and administrative contact.

FACT CHECK

According to Google, it is impossible for a billion low PageRank pages to boost a website that is already ranked high.

FACT CHECK

The WHOIS record does not list Donita Brown in the your "large number of websites." And his wedding page did not list Donita Brown either. Only Wiki lists Donita Brown as his wife.

FALSE STATEMENT

According to his website, Emeagwali was born in a "remote Nigerian village" in 1954. He dropped out of school in 1967 because of the Nigerian civil war. When he turned fourteen, he was conscripted into the Biafran army. After the end of the war, He completed a high-school equivalency through self-study and came to the United States to study at university under a scholarship scheme.

FACT CHECK

You left out four graduate degrees in four different fields ,  PLEASE CONTINUE to ENLIGHTEN US ,  You intentionally skipped four graduate degrees ,

Thomas Edison (the greatest American inventor of the 20th century) had only sixth-grade education and is found of stating that that he would rather hire a hard worker than a college graduate. Albert Einstein (Time magazine's Person of the Century) did not even have four graduate degrees. And Isaac Newton graduated at the bottom of his class. Your revered Tim Berneers Lee is an MIT professor that never went to graduate school. You know that Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and half of leading computer pioneers merely earned a high school diploma.

FALSE STATEMENT

Emeagwali studied for a Ph.D. degree from the University of Michigan from 1987 through 1991. His thesis was not accepted by a committee of internal and external examiners and was thus not awarded the degree. Emeagwali filed a court challenge, claiming that the decision was a violation of his civil rights and that the university had discriminated against him in several ways because of his race. The court challenge was dismissed, as was an appeal to the Michigan state Court of Appeals.

FACT CHECK

There were no thesis "internal examiners." The "external examiners" did not reject his thesis. Instead, they awarded it the 1989 Gordon Bell Prize. [Now that I have named the external examiners and I look forward to your priving me wrong by naming the internal examiners and renaming the external examiners.]

FACT CHECK

There is not no lawsuit for a Ph.D. degree in civil engineering. A complaint for a denied "Ph.D. degree in civil engineering" must be filed with a lower court. Find an original complaint and this information will be corrected. In the real world primary document takes precedence over secondary documents. The primary documents were ignored in favor of a secondary document that contradicts what was in the primary document.

FACT CHECK

We found that a dozen University of Michigan publications hailed Emeagwali as a genius whom the university officials spent three years courting. In the citiation below, the university's flagship publication called "Michigan Today" (February 1991) devoted a special issue on his work. The latter issue on Emeagwali was mailed to the university's 400,000 alumni.

FALSE STATEMENT

Emeagwali, on his website, claims that the Gordon Bell prize has been called "supercomputing's Nobel Prize".

While it is a significant prize in the relatively narrow field of supercomputing, it is not in any way comparable in financial rewards, prestige, or recognition to the Nobel Prizes.

FACT CHECK

Supercomputing is not a "narrow field." Historically, the supercomputer of today is the computer of tomorrow. The supercomputer is to the computer what the heavy champion is to boxing. The latter may not be pound-for-pound the best fighter, but punch-for-punch he is the toughest.

FACT CHECK

The Gordon Bell prize has $5,000 while the Turing has $25,000 while the Nobel Prize has one million dollars. The Field's Medal is called the Nobel Prize of mathematics yet it has zero financial reward.

FALSE STATEMENT

"In the wider field of computing, the Turing Award is regarded as by far the most prestigious award."

FACT CHECK

You are comparing apples and oranges, the Turing Award is not a supercomputing award. The Turing has a 15-year waiting period but you expect Emeagwali to do Turing prize-winning discovery while in high school and earn the Turing Award in 1989 at the ripe old age of 34. For the record, the Gordon Bell prize is supercomputing's top prize and by default the Nobel Prize of supercomputing. The IEEE Gordon Bell Prize-winning works are published in IEEE publications and publicly defended at the annual Supercomputing conference which draws 10,000 attendees. The Turing Award is a private closed-door selection process.

FALSE STATEMENT

Emeagwali also claims to have performed the "world's fastest computation of 3.1 billion calculations per second in 1989" [4]. This is false;

FACT CHECK

Please cite your sources. The keyword is "1989." Your proof is a latter date. He explained his "world's fastest computation" at http://emeagwali.com/speeches/globalization/the-truth-about-globalization/my-supercomputer-discovery.pdf

FALSE STATEMENT

Some web sites state that he holds patents, for instance an article at the Lemelson-MIT inventor program [5], states that he "holds more than 30 patents". He is not listed in the USPTO patent database, which holds fully searchable records of all US patents dating back to 1976, nor in its pending application database, as of April 2004.

FACT CHECK

Your key phrase is "Some web sites." Now tell us what he claimed in his website [6] or in his 1057-page Gordon Bell Prize report or in his off-line interviews and writings. One could find a website out of 50,000 inauthorized website. [Even Bill Clinton maintains several unauthorized blogs written by conservative republican webmasters].

FACT CHECK

His biography [emeagwali.info] claimed "41 discoveries" while your secondary sources claimed "30 patents." However, you prefer to cite your secondary sources. You did not devote a sentence to any of the "41 discoveries."

Do you understand the difference between a "discovery" and an "invention?" Do you understand that it was illegal to patent discoveries in the United States of America. You have to search in countries that allow the patenting of discoveries.

FALSE STATEMENT

"In subsequent years, various supercomputers have been used to perform computations far faster and more cost-effectively than Emeagwali as the inevitable result of Moore's Law and improvement in programming techniques."

FACT CHECK

Emeagwali programmed 65,536 processors to outperform supercomputers. That's not "Moore's Law." The most powerful supercomputer built by IBM also uses 65,536, not powered by Moore's Law

ANOTHER FICITIOUS CITATION

* http://magazine.biafranigeriaworld.com/cezeilo/2003nov09.html - an article that highly critically examines Emeagwali's claims, describing them as "disingenuous".

FACT CHECK

Your primary source author "Chioma Ezeilo" claims to live in Utah. Yet extensive search of United States driving records/databases shows that it was a fictitious person. existed. Nigerian newsgroups are speculating that Chioma Ezeilo is a pen-name for a person indirectly responsible for the death of eight African villagers.

ANOTHER FICITIOUS CITATION

* http://www33.brinkster.com/iiiii/inventions/emeag.html - a page dedicated to refuting "Emeagwali myths".

This "Black Inventions Myth" website is written by an anonymous author who debunked the contributions of nearly all significant black inventors. The only true inventors, we are led to believe, are white geniuses such as like Thomas Edison "the father of the light buld."

FACT CHECK

A "White Inventions Myth" site could also debunk any major white inventor. Take for example, Thomas Edison. His patent on the light bulb was declared null and void by a United States court, three years after it was issued.

FALSE STATEMENT

COURT CASE

You've made this a legal biography, instead of scientific biography

FACT CHECK

You searched for papers and ended up writing about a complaint that was never filed in any United States court of law.

FALSE STATEMENT

A large number of websites [1] (http://www.leonardo-davinci.info/leonardo-da-vinci/) [2] (http://nelson-mandela.info/nelson-mandela/nelson-rolihlahla-mandela-biography-picture-quote-speech-apartheid-photo-biografia-7.shtml) named after famous inventors and other great achievers, particularly African ones, have been created to promote Emeagwali. They feature brief biographies of them (copied verbatim from sources such as Project Gutenberg public domain texts and the World Book Encyclopedia), surrounded by many links to Emeagwali's site. The large number of links to Emeagwali's main site also boosts the prominence of it in search engines. The relevant domain name WHOIS record list Donita Brown, Emeagwali's wife, as the technical and administrative contact.

FACT CHECK

Google will spend billions on these public domain texts. He was thinking ahead of google.

FACT CHECK

You never bothered to check WHOIS. Did you? The whois fact is that only "emeagwali" domains are owned by Donita Brown.

FALSE STATEMENT

Self Promotion -- Alfred Nobel, Gordon Bell and others who named prizes after themselves are more self-promoting than the recipients of the awards. Gordon Bell should have named his awards after the "IEEE," instead of self-promoting his name. Naming awards after oneself more self-promotion than receiving them.

FALSE STATEMENT

The Nigerian press ,  BLAH BLAH ,

FACT CHECK

The Nigerian Press were repeating what IEEE, American and White House told them. Emeagwali has never been to Nigeria in 31 years.

Besides the American press promotes the Wright Brothers while the Brazilian press promotes Santos who achieved the first flight.

The American press promotes Thomas Edison as the father of the light bulb while the British press promotes Joseph Swan as the inventor of the light bulb, even though the US court ruled in favor of Joseph Swan. Alan Turing is promoted by the Gay press as a martyr who committed suicide to avoid trial for child molestation. Do you know why the Gay press promotes Isaac Newton [Hint: he died a bachelor] And so on.

FINALLY

You must check your facts! You have to understand the subject matter and his contributions write a biography that provides both scientific content and context. I will provide additional factual information, including illustrations at a latter date. wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Robert_Merkel/archive_3#Philip_Emeagwali [/b]

Source: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=32882693536&topic=5117
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by houvest: 5:59am On Nov 23, 2010
Thanks for the compliment but I see the reference to him as a father of the internet more as someone whose work has made a contribution to the development of the internet not necessarily an originator thereof and in that sense, I do not think you need a patent or PHD to be a contributor to the Internet's development.But your assertion that he has done nothing to warrant patents or a PHD are your opinions which many including PE do not agree. If he did not feel cheated  in the matter of the PHD why did he go to court to challenge the issue.That he lost the case does not make it a fact but knowing that the law is an a.s.s, it can be argued that he could have won under other circumstances so it remains your opinion. And  your verdict that he should not be on the stamp is a matter for the Nigerian Govt to decide when the investigation is concluded not yours or mine  as it was their decision ab initio to put him there without consulting any of us.
See his own words about the internet brouhaha.

Am I "A Father of the Internet?"

First, I demonstrated that the original blueprint for the international network only applies to a flat Earth and invented a global network that applies to a round Earth. Second, the United States government acknowledged that I used the NSFnet (precursor of the Internet) to break the barriers of space and time. The latter was hailed as an NSFnet "success story." Third, I developed the first personal Web site on the NSFnet. Fourth, I contributed to the development of parallel processing technology, which provides the horsepower that runs Web sites. Fifth, I demonstrated the power of parallel computing, a technology that is now accepted and is widely used on the Internet.

However, the most significant aspect of my contribution is that I worked alone over a period of 27 years. As a result, I have won more prizes and awards than any contemporary scientist who worked alone. As the discoverer of penicillin, Sir Alexander Flemming, wrote, "It is the lone worker who makes the first advance in a subject: The details may be worked out by a team, but the prime idea is due to the enterprise, thought and perception of an individual."

For the above reasons, I have been described as "one of the fathers of the Internet," a phrase that recognizes that many people contributed to the invention of the Internet. I agree and believe that any recognition of an individual as "A Father of the Internet," should be qualified by stating that the Internet has many fathers, mothers, uncles and aunts.

AND AGAIN

The supercomputer began as a crazy idea to tie computers together. It began as a science fiction article, written in 1922, to use 64,000 human computers to forecast the weather for the whole Earth. Ignored for 50 years, that article inspired me to design a scheme for using 64,000 electronic computers to forecast the weather for the whole Earth.

They laughed when I proposed that 64,000 computers could be tied together ,  But when I won the Gordon Bell Prize, 15 years later, for programming 64,000 processors , 

….

Inspired by Richardson's article on 64000 human computers, I invented an international network that uses 64000 electronic computers. My network was rejected (in the 1970s) and rediscovered (in the 1980s) and called an "idea that was ahead of its time" and "a germinal seed of the Internet."

The seed that planted the idea of “out of many, one” computer was planted in my head when I read excerpts from a book published in 1922. In that book, Lewis Richardson, a pioneer meteorologist, proposed a computing theater with 64,000 human computers. Even Richardson considered his proposal impractical and called it a "fantasy." In 1975, I said that it could be done with 64,000 electronic computers, instead of the human computers proposed previously. My proposal was dismissed as "foolish."

duduspace:

Of all the write ups put up in Emeagwali's defence, the one from Houvest sounds most reasonable,  Emeagwali is indeed a man with more achievement than most of the posters here and he does have some claim to fame, it is quite wrong to compare him to Tim Berners Lee who came up with the initial idea for HTTP which did form the basis for a standard way of presenting information through browsers which subsequently led to the explosion of interest in the world wide web which we all still use today.

To be honest, I don't think he has done anything more than blow his trumpet a bit too loud, if those degrees he claimed to have are found to be fraudulent though, then he might also have to answer to the law.

Going by what I've now read about the research he did and judging by the fact that he has no technical patents, I don't think there is any basis whatsoever for anyone to refer to him as a "Father of the internet", that is total misinformation and it still amazes me that some creditable newsmedia and important personalities like CNN and Bill Clinton helped fuel these massive exaggerations of the truth, I'd like to believe they were also hoodwinked as I must say I also was initially.

Emeagwali trained as a Supercomputing engineer, won a price which is in no way near a Nobel price and contributed his bit to the advancement of knowledge in his own little way, he however did not do anything considered worthy of being patented or worthy of being awarded a PhD for, these are facts and not opinions which should be accepted by any educated Nigerian whether you are Hausa/Ibo/Yoruba or not even a Nigerian at all.

Emeagwali is a brilliant mind no doubt, even to be able to hype his meagre contribution to world wide fame requires a brilliant albeit not so sincere mind. The question is, should his image be on a Nigerian stamp as an example of what any young Nigerian should dream and aspire towards?  NO, I think not.
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by Nobody: 10:01am On Nov 23, 2010
@houvest u did a splendid job with this post, it truly sets the wheat from the chaff
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by hercules07: 10:15am On Nov 23, 2010
@passyjango and houvest

Why dont we take it further and say that the man who discovered silicon is also a father of the internet, when someone is described as the father of something, he must have done a lot to make such a thing happen, as I have always said, Radia Perlman is the mother of the internet ( she gave us STP and link state protocols and so many other stuff), our Emeagwali has no patents to his name, did not write any of the protocols and he takes adulation for being called what he is not, that my dear guys is fraud, he has had opportunities to set the record straight. Radia Perlman has over 50 patents yet she does not go about trumpeting her achievements, infact, I am sure a lot of people outside the technical world do not know her. Please do a google search on Tunde Olukotun and his Niagara Processor, this is a man we should be proud of. This link will help you http://www-hydra.stanford.edu/~kunle/ .
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by LKRavitz(m): 10:26am On Nov 23, 2010
seun is the father of nairaland grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Emeagwali Lied Again! by houvest: 10:36am On Nov 23, 2010
Actually you cannot deny that the silicon -discoverer contributed to the Internet's development. So yes you might call him a father thereof.
You are entitled to hold your views on Emeagwali but should still remember the phrase 'innocent till proven guilty' and so should allow others hold their views on him. We have many heroes yet unsong like the Olutokun guy you mentioned. Let's give all the benefit of doubt till an incontrovertible verdict finally comes in.

hercules07:

@passyjango and houvest

Why dont we take it further and say that the man who discovered silicon is also a father of the internet, when someone is described as the father of something, he must have done a lot to make such a thing happen, as I have always said, Radia Perlman is the mother of the internet ( she gave us STP and link state protocols and so many other stuff), our Emeagwali has no patents to his name, did not write any of the protocols and he takes adulation for being called what he is not, that my dear guys is fraud, he has had opportunities to set the record straight. Radia Perlman has over 50 patents yet she does not go about trumpeting her achievements, infact, I am sure a lot of people outside the technical world do not know her. Please do a google search on Tunde Olukotun and his Niagara Processor, this is a man we should be proud of. This link will help you http://www-hydra.stanford.edu/~kunle/ .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Policemen Involved In Money Scrambling At Tinubu’s Trial To Be Arrested / Enugu Assembly Passes Bill Banning Okada / Ekiti Election: Court Begins Hearing In Oni’s Suit Challenging Fayemi’s Eligibil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 191
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.