Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,774 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:39 PM

FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine (47733 Views)

FAAN Bans ‘Ghana Must Go’ Sacks At Airports / "Uber, Bolt Not Banned At Airports" - FAAN / Fight Breaks Out At The Lagos Airport As NLC Attempts To Shut It Down. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by kunzzy4me(m): 10:48pm On Dec 10, 2019
siegfried99:
Why na
Why mentioning buhari....is buhari the govnor of Lagos state...
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by bukkielee(m): 11:10pm On Dec 10, 2019
We need Taximeters like this in such Taxis

2 Likes

Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by delpee(f): 11:12pm On Dec 10, 2019
Whether the story is true or false, one can always stroll down towards the car park to wait for an Uber driver.

2 Likes

Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by oyegunsimo: 11:18pm On Dec 10, 2019
Capnd143:
Welcome to Nigeria under Buhari
Pls what has Buhari got to do with this information??
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by lilwaalx: 11:20pm On Dec 10, 2019
Adeling:
Watin dey happen to dem uber drivers this days..?
8k size 44

interested please contact me 08146775302 cephasrich@gmail.com
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by nkezecheckport: 11:23pm On Dec 10, 2019
Faan imposed heavy taxes on these airport taxi so this income protection strategy for them. A destination that Uber or bolt will collect N1300 for airport taxi will charge 4-5k.

Airport registered cabs have reported to Faan that their income is threatened by the competition that Uber or bolt brings. Soon they will ban private car owner's from bringing their cars.

Can you imagine such policy. Banning car sharing services from a public facility. Compelling travellers to patronize airport cabs by limiting their options.

This is sheer wickedness.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by TheAmbasador(m): 11:24pm On Dec 10, 2019
It is useless, primitive & selfish directives......are the private can government owned?or because of the dues paid to them by the cab operators? This directive will as long as they cannot stop the passengers or riders from making their requests!....

Will they be asking every driver question if they are Uber or bolt? This is the most useless government in the world!

1 Like

Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by TheAmbasador(m): 11:27pm On Dec 10, 2019
nkezecheckport:
Faan imposed heavy taxes on these airport taxi so this income protection strategy for them. A destination that Uber or bolt will collect N1300 for airport taxi will charge 4-5k.

Airport registered cabs have reported to Faan that their income is threatened by the competition that Uber or bolt brings. Soon they will ban private car owner's from bringing their cars.

Can you imagine such policy. Banning car sharing services from a public facility. Compelling travellers to patronize airport cabs by limiting their options.

This is sheer wickedness.

the fann authority are as dumb as the directive
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by lagdmark(m): 11:39pm On Dec 10, 2019
kunzzy4me:

Why mentioning buhari....is buhari the govnor of Lagos state...
Is FAAN under the administration of Lagos state government.
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by buzorcharles(m): 11:44pm On Dec 10, 2019
I will order for uber, contact him and tell him to hug me like a Bro when he sees me and drive me home

1 Like

Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by kaywhy09(m): 11:59pm On Dec 10, 2019
Is it foreigner that drives those cabs? I don't get

1 Like

Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by CSTR2: 12:22am On Dec 11, 2019
Buhari is archaic.

The economic theories of the 80s are what are still in his head.

I doubt If buhari would have allowed privatisation of the telecommunications sectors.
We would probably still be queuing up to use NITEL.

2 Likes

Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by Rosskiki: 12:47am On Dec 11, 2019
12inchess:
Lagos Airport. Is that one an airport? Considering the amount of international and domestic flights out of that place alone, the airport should be an icon of Nigeria. But no the airport is so useless. If you want to see what airport looks like, you can I mean ones that meet world standards then go to Frankfurt Airport or the one in Seoul South Korea or even Minnesota Airport or Heathrow. That airport in Lagos is so useless and backward. Airport security collect bribe openly. My question as always been that considering all the money that airport makes from both domestic and international carriers and higr airport traffic in that airport wher does all money go to? Your guess is as good as mine. Not only uber but the airport itself should be banned. What a sensible agency should have done was to have a meeting with all the ride sharing agencies and look for the way forward. For example many U. S airports now require ride sharing services to pick up and drop off at designated areas and not anywhere. It's called curb side management.

The MMA is undergoing a massive expansion programme.

Brand new terminal near completion.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DeScdujX0AAKSML?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by Lexusgs430: 12:49am On Dec 11, 2019
We sharp guys know how to do it.........
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by northbird: 12:50am On Dec 11, 2019
Onlydaughter:
What if the taxify man claims to be your brother, how will they now know??
By seating at the rear right? In Nigeria ! You already blew the cover.
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by northbird: 12:54am On Dec 11, 2019
okomile:
grin
Trekking go sweet!

Trek out of airport vicinity.
Get uber/bolt driver contact. Call before you arrive.

He/she will simply pick you up grin
Lobatan
In Abuja , Yes. In Lagos, No. Where are you going to trek to from d Lagos terminals
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by Jamiubug(m): 12:57am On Dec 11, 2019
This is why there'll not be any improvement in the country, the fulani herdsmen want ruga and airport authority doesn't want ride sharing platforms around the airport. As long as we keep thinking in the manner we'll never progress.
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by northbird: 1:07am On Dec 11, 2019
grandstar:
As much as we love Uber's cheap prices, it is actually very unfair competition.

Uber rides are worryingly cheap and despite that, the drivers are still charged a commission. It doesn't add up.

It only adds up when you take a look look at Uber's balance sheet and see that it makes losses of up to $800m in some quarters. That means it is simply surviving off investors' funds. It has a very high burn rate. I don't see how it can ever be profitable. Taxi drivers, not just in Nigeria but in other parts of the world are not really competing against another taxi operator but against Uber's financier's funds. Taxi rides needs to be priced at a rate they can make money.

I feel at the end of the day, ride-hailing apps should steer clear of running a cab service, but instead act as an intermediary linking taxis with customers and in exchange, receive a commission or earn money from advertising.

My $800m loss is even conservative when you read the article in the link below. It talks about a staggering $5.2bn loss in a quarter

https://www.businessinsider.com/where-uber-spends-its-money-lost-5-billion-second-quarter-2019-8?IR=T
I quite agree with you, the only winners I see here are the riders.
Their fares are ridiculously competitive.
Take Bolt to Air port @ Abuja, Fare is #3,500
20% commission - #700
Gate ticket- # 200- ( I don't know if dis is computed in d tariff)
Fuel- #1,200.
Balance- 1,400. For a distance of about. 42km .
You would have to wait @ d airport to get a return trip WC is dependent on the arrival of flights n d time of d week.

Or else you start picking along back to the city centre which is a risk on it's own.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by 12inchess: 1:21am On Dec 11, 2019
Rosskiki:

The MMA is undergoing a massive expansion programme.

Brand new terminal near completion.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DeScdujX0AAKSML?format=jpg&name=4096x4096[/img]
Size does not equate quality. I've been to smaller airports in other countries that operated well and were organized and efficient. Why is that at the entrance of MMA 2 there is always a security man posted at the entrance that is fighting with passengers whipping them and their family members with koboko and collecting bribe to let people into the airport? Why do the custom officials collect bribe openly during check-in? Why are the carts in the airport controlled by area boys and agbero? Why are there no good restaurants in the airport? Do you know that in the airports in is it Abu Dhabi, you can take a shower before your connecting flight? Why doesn't the airport have free wifi? Why are there so many agberos and area boys collecting illegal fees outside the airport?

2 Likes

Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 1:59am On Dec 11, 2019
msmon:
In Nigeria, we move a step forward and 20 steps backward.

Thats the result of the decision we made in 2015.
Buhari is doing badly but I do not regret voting out the drunkard I the picture you posted. I will do it again if given the chance.
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by siegfried99(m): 1:59am On Dec 11, 2019
kunzzy4me:

[s]Why mentioning buhari....is buhari the govnor of Lagos state[/s]...

Kindly remove the black pants covering your eyes.. Where did u see me mentioning any name undecided

Or u are just seeking attention. Kindly delete the quote ASAP.
Thanks. undecided
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by Nyceguy92: 2:04am On Dec 11, 2019
travelwaka:
I want to seriously believe this is not true and if it's true I want to believe they have a better provision or plans to ensure safety or fairness in prices else
Nigeria really need to sit down and ask herself what she really want. I love the fact that they are trying to protect the local businesses but some of these local taxi are legal robbers, I could remember few years ago before the introduction of Uber and Bolt, imagine them charging 5,000 from airport to Alausa in Ikeja, no traffic nothing but the excuse is your are coming from abroad so must pay that much, something that is less than 1,000 with Uber or Taxify.
Now what measures have they put in place to ensure the safety of people entering an unknown vehicle that you can not track who is who.
What happens if a random kidnapper goes there or one of the registered drivers decided to carry you away. How will they know the person at least with UBer you can share your location you can share the drivers info but with how can you do that with Baba Bobo. how can you ensure that there is fairness in charges and safety of passengers.

I have come to realize we love to make rules so fast without thinking of the consequences. Then if something goes wrong we are so quick to set up committees something that could have been averted.
We shouldn't always try to make things difficult for ourselves Biko. The country is already stressful we should make laws to make life easier not harder.

I share your thoughts.
One man just sits in his office and makes a sweeping decision that reverses the way things have been working.

In most cultures, this would lead to immediate court actions.
And those who represent us in the National and State Assemblies do not care because they are hardly affected.
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by odehaj: 2:36am On Dec 11, 2019
If this happens, we would go and protest joor
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by moonraker(m): 3:30am On Dec 11, 2019
I actually do not get the reasoning behind this. What are the alternatives? You ban companies and make create no alternatives? So basically passengers are on their own errh? just like everything else in Nigeria.
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by Flintstone06(m): 4:29am On Dec 11, 2019
Adeling:
Watin dey happen to dem uber drivers this days..?
8k size 44

Can I have your number?
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by Mac2016(m): 4:30am On Dec 11, 2019
travelwaka:
I want to seriously believe this is not true and if it's true I want to believe they have a better provision or plans to ensure safety or fairness in prices else
Nigeria really need to sit down and ask herself what she really want. I love the fact that they are trying to protect the local businesses but some of these local taxi are legal robbers, I could remember few years ago before the introduction of Uber and Bolt, imagine them charging 5,000 from airport to Alausa in Ikeja, no traffic nothing but the excuse is your are coming from abroad so must pay that much, something that is less than 1,000 with Uber or Taxify.
Now what measures have they put in place to ensure the safety of people entering an unknown vehicle that you can not track who is who.
What happens if a random kidnapper goes there or one of the registered drivers decided to carry you away. How will they know the person at least with UBer you can share your location you can share the drivers info but with how can you do that with Baba Bobo. how can you ensure that there is fairness in charges and safety of passengers.

I have come to realize we love to make rules so fast without thinking of the consequences. Then if something goes wrong we are so quick to set up committees something that could have been averted.
We shouldn't always try to make things difficult for ourselves Biko. The country is already stressful we should make laws to make life easier not harder.
That emboldened: Uber drivers are rarely foreigners! The airport mgt claim is invalid. It's greed plus crab mentality of a sort and nothing to back this new policy nothing more!

Insightful write up tho!

1 Like

Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by goshen26: 4:44am On Dec 11, 2019
But my brother/friend/uncle/family members that has car can come n pick me abi?

If I have a personal uber driver that I can calk like a brother how will they know?

Awon olori-ike (plastic head) taking us back to days of mud n sand.

The days I joked with one baba Tawa, that I will come down from his taxi to take uber if u see how red his eyes were. You see them using two wire as ignition and always expensive
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by back2sender: 4:44am On Dec 11, 2019
The local taxi are very useless and wicked.
They fleece passengers!!!
Fann must be getting thier percentage from the local taxi because I don't see the reason why they are banning competition.
We have also said it that Buhari is working but some agencies of government are spoiling work for him, this is an example.
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by davillian(m): 5:00am On Dec 11, 2019
RamseyBolton:
These exorbitant airport taxi that will charge you 5000 to Surulere in a car without AC.
They once charged me 7k to church bustop ipaja.
They charge you for going and coming because they won't see one passenger to pick on their way back to the airport....
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by Nobody: 5:03am On Dec 11, 2019
Ease of doing business
Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by Doktajay5: 5:06am On Dec 11, 2019
AutoReportNG:

https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/12/faan-bans-uber-taxify-and-other-taxis-from-lagos-airport-place-heavy-fine-on-defaulters.html

Uber, taxify and other ride companies affected by this decision should jointly sue them and even make claims.

The airport is Nigeria Airport. They have no such right absolutely, to make such decision against a registered legitimate business.

If a Nigerian should call uber for a pick up, that such is in the airport should not deny him/her the right to choice nor the company the right to business..

Haba! Who told them that they can do and get away with such rubbish.

They should sue them very well.... Nonsense next level.

1 Like

Re: FAAN Bans Uber, Bolt And Others From Lagos Airport, Places Heavy Fine by davillian(m): 5:09am On Dec 11, 2019
Let the stupid airport cabs adjust
They should work with FAAN.
Competition is healthy for every business
It makes everyone offer the best services at the lowest price.
I take the taxi out of the airport
Then I book a ride from that petrol station abi bustop called national..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) / US Based Nigerian Lady Shares How She Spends All Her Finances On Bills (pix/vid) / Photo Of The Survivor Of The Trailer Accident In Ojuelegba Yesterday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.