Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,540 members, 7,816,314 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

Saturday Or Sunday - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Saturday Or Sunday (4166 Views)

Saturday Or Sunday, Which Is The Real Sabbath Day? / What Is The True Sabbath Day, Saturday Or Sunday? / What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday Or Sunday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saturday Or Sunday by Nestle(f): 3:26pm On May 26, 2007
Satuday or sunday which day is true worshiping day
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by thesilent1(m): 10:02pm On May 26, 2007
and the other days?
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Horus(m): 11:46am On May 27, 2007
Your god is sleeping in his bed on Sunday grin
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by thesilent1(m): 12:47pm On May 27, 2007
then, please learn from example
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Aproko(f): 1:29pm On Jun 01, 2007
@ nestle,

is it too much choco milo that is making you ask this kind of question? grin grin grin cheesy

every day my dear is a 'true worshipping' day. you dont have to wait till weekend. wink wink
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by thesilent1(m): 4:16pm On Jun 01, 2007
choco milo

GOSH!!!!! i missed those like crazy!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by stimulus(m): 5:10pm On Jun 01, 2007
thesilent1:

GOSH!!!!! i missed those like crazy!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Infact, na ba'anga (palm-kennel) soup dey hungry me just now! undecided
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by pcmecom(m): 8:54am On Jun 02, 2007
saturday,is the true day for worship,but unfortuately it was changed from saturday to sunday during the reign of constantine a roman emperor,he was the first roman emperor to embrace christianity,there was a fusion between christianity and paganism which gave rise to roman catholic church, for more information open your bibles to GEN 2:2-3,EXODUS 20:8-11,LEVITICUS:23-1,LEVITICUS 25:2,LEVITICUS 26:2,some people say it doesnt really matter but they easily forget that GOD that created the universe stressed the importance of the seventh day?One last question how come out of the ten commandements of GOD only this is not important,just for the records I am not an adventist,shine your eyes shocked dont let anyone deceive you always read your bible
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by stimulus(m): 9:05am On Jun 02, 2007
pcmecom:

One last question how come out of the ten commandements of GOD only this is not important,

When did God institute the Ten Commandments?  cool

I don't think it's a question of it not being "important". It's rather a question of WHO the Law was made for.

Acts 13:39 - "And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses."
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by pcmecom(m): 12:45pm On Jun 02, 2007
as per your question on who instituted the ten commandement read the book of exodus you will find out more,secondly i dont understand what you trying to say there, !
what i am saying is this i am a not law fanatic but the truth is that GOD emphasised the importance of the seventh day in the scriptures,but today in christendom we place[b] much[/b] emphasis on sunday,the way we worship on sundays in our various churches is much more different than any other day put together why? so the worship on saturday is now MOSAIC while other laws which we still observe today are not? think my friend , think
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Horus(m): 1:08pm On Jun 02, 2007
If God went to sleep on the seventh day and Christ is worshipped on Sunday then who are they (Sunday churchgoers) praying to? Because God is sleeping, unless you are trying to wake him up and serve him on his day of sleeping . . . God worked a whole six days and now on Sunday morning he’s laying in his bed. This is how he makes this sound. .God is sitting in his chair, or laying in his bed he goes to sleep on Sunday morning, and you go to church on Sunday morning and go, “oh God, oh God, oh God.” Then you’re wondering why your prayers are not being answered. The reason why your prayers are not being answered is quite simple; because God sleeps on Sunday. You have to change the day – try Wednesday when God is up working. Have you ever tried to disturb your mother and father when they were working (or sleeping)?You don’t thank God for health and the gifts that you have. You’re in church on Sunday begging for more stuff.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Bobbyaf(m): 7:59pm On Jun 02, 2007
@ Nestle

Well, actually one shoud worship God every day, but what I think you meant was which day is the day God has set aside for a more dedicated period of time to spend with Him. No doubt that would be the seventh day sabbath or Saturday as we know it today.

By the way why do you ask?
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Bobbyaf(m): 8:14pm On Jun 02, 2007
@ Stimulus

I don't think it's a question of it not being "important". It's rather a question of WHO the Law was made for.

Ecclesiastes 12:13, NIV. "Here is the conclusion of the matter. Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man(Mankind)."
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by stimulus(m): 8:24pm On Jun 02, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Bobbyaf:

@ Stimulus

Ecclesiastes 12:13, NIV. "Here is the conclusion of the matter. Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man(Mankind)."

I know why I asked the question; and I've followed most debates on the Forum carefully. I'm deeply persuaded by bari_kade's outlines and answers on this same question, and I do not wish to reharsh it here. Please see this link:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-34371.160.html#msg869146

There are still at least 14 questions in the link that you haven't addressed; and from bari_kade's outlines, it is clear that the seventh-day Sabbath was not made for Christians. If you have to hold onto it, then you would have to carefully observe its strictest stipulations - there is no room for excuses with the Law.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by thesilent1(m): 9:18pm On Jun 02, 2007
seventh-day Sabbath was not made for Christians

i have to agree with the above;

Consider this: if Christians are to keep the Sabbath, should they not keep the whole Law? In Galatians 5:3, Paul says just that, substituting circumcision as the part of the Law in question. Take a good look at verses 1-15 in order to get the whole context, and to see what Paul (writing by revelation) thinks about Christians being put under any part of the old Mosaic Law. If we are to keep the Sabbath, what about animal sacrifice to worship God? That can get costly.

The epistle to the Hebrews was one of the earlier epistles, and was written primarily to ex-Jewish Christians (which all the first Christians were), many of whom were still clinging to their old ways. In Hebrews 7-10, God works hard to show them that the Mosaic Law was no longer applicable, for example: (7:18 and 19) “The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless, (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God;” (9:9 and 10) “[The Tabernacle was] an illustration for the present time, indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper. They are only a matter of food and drink and various ceremonial washings—external regulations applying until the time of the new order;” (10:1) “The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—and not the realities themselves…” Amen.

Some Christians who do not understand the administrations in Scripture and who thus believe we should observe the Sabbath, etc., cite Matthew 5:17-19, where Jesus said that he had not come to abolish the Law but to fulfill it. First, to whom was he speaking? Jews. The Mosaic Law never did have anything to do with Christians. A key phrase in what Jesus said in Matthew 5:18 is that nothing would disappear from the Law “until everything is accomplished.” Jesus did accomplish everything he needed to relative to the Levitical Law, and that’s why it is no longer in effect. Today, we have no Temple, no Levites, no Aaronite priests, no animal sacrifices, etc. For both Jews and Gentiles, adhering to Romans 10:9 is the way to salvation.

In closing, perhaps you are aware that a good number of Christians today are arguing about whether “the Sabbath” should be observed by believers meeting together on Saturday or Sunday. This needless conflict would evaporate if they understood that (a) the word “sabbath” means “rest,” and neither day pertains to Christians as a special day, because for believers in the Administration of the Secret, every day is special.

The argument is fruitless anyway because, based upon the consensus of Church historians, it cannot be definitely determined just when and why the early Church came to observe what we call “Sunday” (“the first day of the week”) as the day to gather together for fellowship, prayer, teaching, etc., rather than what we call “Saturday,” which was when Israel observed the Sabbath.

For the record, rest is a godly principle, so that’s what I’ll do now.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Bobbyaf(m): 4:59am On Jun 03, 2007
@ Stimulus

There are still at least 14 questions in the link that you haven't addressed; and from bari_kade's outlines, it is clear that the seventh-day Sabbath was not made for Christians. If you have to hold onto it, then you would have to carefully observe its strictest stipulations - there is no room for excuses with the Law.

I am not interested in skewed questions that are geared to go around the "thus saith the Lord" Nothing can go around the simple plain scripture that says:

No amount of questions can beat that. Its our duty to obey God's commandments, and don't confuse being obedient to God with being legalistic either, in case you're even thinking it. It has nothing to do with that. Being obedient to God is based on our love for Him. We are constrained to be because of that love that God demonstrated to us, and the more we focus on that love the more willing we become to do what God requires.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Bobbyaf(m): 5:35am On Jun 03, 2007
@ TheSilent1

Consider this: if Christians are to keep the Sabbath, should they not keep the whole Law? In Galatians 5:3, Paul says just that, substituting circumcision as the part of the Law in question.

I must disagree with that concept. Paul in Galations was addressing the ceremonial law written by Moses. This has nothing to do with the law of 10 commandments of which Paul addressed in Romans 7.

Let me make the distinction. In Galations 5 Paul rebukes the those who try to impose the law on others, but although Paul didn't qualify which law he addressed, his example of circumcision helps to highlight what law he addressed.

Galations 5:1-2
1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free,[a] and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. 2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.

Pretty obvious what the theme of Paul's intent was, isn't it? What was it that triggured Paul's response is what we need to pay attention to. The undue desire to insist that circumcision be seen as salvivic. In other words if a person wasn't circumcised it was thought that such a person had not yet begun to experience salvavtion, or be could not be saved.

3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
By the time Paul had written this phrase the jewish laws had amounted to around 600 or so.

There are a lot of christians who confuse the ceremnial laws with God's moral law of 10 commandments. Notice how Paul makes that all-important difference in hwo he relates to both codes. In Galations 5 he associated the ceremonial laws with bondage. However in Romans 7 he describes another law and its relation to the christian's struggle, and how to find a balance between being dependent on God in the act of being obedient, and fullfiling the moral requirements of such a divine law. This is how he describes the moral law.

Romans 7:7
7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.”

Right away one knows exactly what code of law Paul addresses, and he has qualified the remark with one of its commands, “You shall not covet.”

But look how Paul continues to show the moral law as not being the problem in, and of itself, 12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.and in verse 14 he says, 14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Do you see the difference in how he addresses both codes of laws?

So while Paul honestly reveals that sin is the problem, he is not sparing the reality that the law is powerless to save, becasue indeed it cannot save, nor can it empower us to be just in God's sight. So we can agree on one thing and that is the law cannot save, but is only a guide for us in our relationship with God.

James the apostle compares it to a mirror that can only show us how dirty we are, but lacks the cleansing power, that only grace alone can supply.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by stimulus(m): 8:14am On Jun 03, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

You may call them skewed questions - and that is because you had no answers to the sound questions bari_kade offered you. Not only so, he went on to treat the subject in detail, offering text upon to text to the point.

If one is going to obey the "thus saith the Lord", one needs to understand what the Lord says. Romans 10:2 says that some people have zeal without knowledge; and to just be driven by thus saith the Lord without knowing what the Lord says will often lead to the sort of legalistic mindset you're displaying.

Let me bring back some of the things that bari_kade offered you should seek to carefully understand as a seventh-day sabbatarian:

(a). The Sabbath was to be kept Holy - Exo. 20:8

(b). No (Servile) Work To Be Done on the Sabbath - Exo. 20:10; 12:16 & Num. 28:25

(c). Anyone Defiling The Sabbath Be Put To Death - Exo. 31:14-15

(d). The Sabbath Meant to Be Perpetual - Exo. 31:16

(e). No Domestic Fires To Be Kindled In The Home - Exo. 35:3

(f). Sabbatarians To Afflict Their Souls Forever or Be Put To Death - Lev. 16:31 & 23:29

(g). Sabbath Was to be Celebrated From Evening to Evening - Lev. 23:32

(h). A Holy Convocation; No Domestic Work At Home - Lev. 23:3

Now go back and visit this link to see how he treated the above:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-34371.160.html#msg873270

Note (f) above says:

Sabbatarians To Afflict Their Souls Forever or Be Put To Death
   Lev. 16:31 & 23:29 - "It shall be a sabbath of rest unto you, and ye shall afflict your souls, by a
   statute for ever. For whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall
   be cut off from among his people."

And then (h) above as well:

(h). A Holy Convocation; No Domestic Work At Home
Lev. 23:3 - "Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings."

The Bible is clear that no manner of work should be done on the Sabbath; and sabbatarians are to afflict their souls forever during the sabbaths.

Bobbyaf, do you SDA people follow the stipulations for the sabbath as outlined in the Bible; or you look for excuses that make it convenient for your group? Are you not the same fellow who offered excuses on the following link?

"If the case isn't emergent then such persons usually get the sabbath off."
          https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-34371.192.html

I should remark that if you want to go by the seventh-day Sabbath observance according to the Law, then you must strictly follow its stipulations. There is just no room for any SDA excuses on any point of the Sabbath Law.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Horus(m): 9:32am On Jun 03, 2007
It was under "Roman rule" that pagans (literal sun worshipers of an esoteric Egyptian concept) and early Christians (left over remnants of Jewish sect) were brought together under one thumb --Christianity, by Constantine The Great -- (i.e Council of Nicea, 325).

1. CONSTANTINE MADE NO BREAK WITH PAGAN SUN WORSHIP AND ORDERED THAT SUNDAY BE SET AS DAY OF REST

"This [Constantine's Sunday decree of March 321] is the 'parent' Sunday law making it a day of rest and release from labor. For from that time to the present there have been decrees about the observance of Sunday which have profoundly influenced European and American society. When the Church became a part of State under the Christian emperors, Sunday observance was enforced by civil statutes, and later when the Empire was past, the Church in the hands of the papacy enforced it by ecclesiastical and also by civil enactments." Walter W. Hyde, Paganism to Christianity in the Roman Empire, 1946, p. 261.

"Constantine labored at this time untiringly to unite the worshipers of the old and the new into one religion. All his laws and contrivances are aimed at promoting this amalgamation of means melt together a purified heathenism and a moderated Christianity . . Of all his blending and melting together of Christianity and heathenism, none is more easy to see through than this making of his Sunday law: The Christians worshiped their Christ, the heathen their sun-god [so they should now be combined]." H. G. Heggtveit, Illustreret Kirkehistorie, 1895, p. 202.

"Modern Christians who talk of keeping Sunday as a 'holy' day, as in the still extant 'Blue Laws,' of colonial America, should know that as a 'holy' day of rest and cessation from labor and amusements Sunday was unknown to Jesus . . . It formed no tenet [teaching] of the primitive Church and became 'sacred' only in the course of time. Outside the Church its observance was legalized for the Roman Empire through a series of decrees starting with the famous one of Constantine in 321, an edict due to his political and social ideas."--W, W. Hyde, "Paganism to Christianity in the Roman Empire," 1946, p. 257

2. CONSTANTINE MADE NO BREAK WITH SUN WORSHIP AND CHANGED THE DATE OF EASTER

The passover dispute between the Western Church and the more Scripture-adhering believers of the Near East was finally settled by Constantine's Council of Nicaea in the year 325, where it was decided that Easter was to be kept on Sun-day, and on the came Sun-day throughout the world and that "none should here-after follow the blindness of the Jews."
http://www.iahushua.com/ST-RP/easter.htm

3. CONSTANTINE MADE NO BREAK WITH SUN WORSHIP AND CHANGED THE SABBATH FROM SATURDAY TO SUNDAY

First Sunday Law enacted by Emperor Constantine -
March, 321 A.D. -- On the venerable Day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country, however, persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits; because it often happens that another day is not so suitable for grain-sowing or for vine-planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost. (Given the 7th day of March, Crispus and Constantine being consuls each of them for the second time [A.D. 321].) -- Source: Codex Justinianus, lib. 3, tit. 12, 3; trans. in Philip Schaff, History of the Christian Church, Vol. 3 (5th ed.; New York: Scribner, 1902), p. 380, note 1.

Has anything changed?
No.
Western Civilization follows/swallows these same edicts--"Roman rules" remains the operative word of the day.

In conclusion, this IS the last Roman Empire and it too shall fall.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Bobbyaf(m): 3:44pm On Jun 03, 2007
@ Stimulus

@Bobbyaf,

You may call them skewed questions - and that is because you had no answers to the sound questions bari_kade offered you. Not only so, he went on to treat the subject in detail, offering text upon to text to the point.

I don't claim to have the answers, but the bible does. You can make all the claim you want but the truth is the truth.

If one is going to obey the "thus saith the Lord", one needs to understand what the Lord says. Romans 10:2 says that some people have zeal without knowledge; and to just be driven by thus saith the Lord without knowing what the Lord says will often lead to the sort of legalistic mindset you're displaying.

I hope you too get the message!

Let me bring back some of the things that bari_kade offered you should seek to carefully understand as a seventh-day sabbatarian:

(a). The Sabbath was to be kept Holy - Exo. 20:8

That I already know thanks to the bible! grin

(b). No (Servile) Work To Be Done on the Sabbath - Exo. 20:10; 12:16 & Num. 28:25

That I have no problem with since I don't do any servile work on the sabbath, and I don't believe any true sabbath-believing christian does. So what is your point?

(c). Anyone Defiling The Sabbath Be Put To Death - Exo. 31:14-15

Under the Mosaic system such would have been the case. The same would apply to committing other sins like stealing and commiitting adultery, so simply categorising the sabbath requirement doesn't make it less worthy of observance.

(d). The Sabbath Meant to Be Perpetual - Exo. 31:16

That is why it should be kept today, and as a matter of fact the bible says it will be kept in the earth mad new. See Isaiah 66:22,23

(e). No Domestic Fires To Be Kindled In The Home - Exo. 35:3

Not if you had to go look for the wood on a sabbath! Don't fail to see the context under which some of the sabbath-keeping requirements were stipulated. Israel lived in the wilderness for 40 years. That explains some of the restrictions, because of the extent of work it would have required to preprare meals. That is why God fed Israel for 40 years with Manna.

(f). Sabbatarians To Afflict Their Souls Forever or Be Put To Death - Lev. 16:31 & 23:29

Here is a case of a misuse of context. Remember what I said about the use of the word forever? grin It means for as long as it was meant to last. Besides, no one remained perfect under the Mosaic system, including Moses himself, yet he remained alive until God saw it fit to call him home.

(g). Sabbath Was to be Celebrated From Evening to Evening - Lev. 23:32

I am glad you see it! Do you keep your Sunday holy right through?

(h). A Holy Convocation; No Domestic Work At Home - Lev. 23:3

That we know!

Note (f) above says:

Sabbatarians To Afflict Their Souls Forever or Be Put To Death Lev. 16:31 & 23:29 - "It shall be a sabbath of rest unto you, and ye shall afflict your souls, by a statute for ever. For whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people." And then (h) above as well:

Isn't it obvious that deliberate disobedience in the light of God's reasonable and clear requirements would have attracted that sort of punishment? You are addressing the wrong person, go ask God who implemented the system back then. Besides, please don't see the sabbatha as a problem because of man's failures to keep it the way that God intended it ot be kept.

The same can be argued about the women seeing their periods and still coming to church, right? Why is it that such is the case today? Why was that law or requirement necessary back then? Context may be? Situational context perhaps? How one keeps the sabbath today is far different in terms of situational context, than how it could have been kept back then. In other words if a person was visiting with me on a sabbath and needed some hot beverage for example, should I desist from doing good becasue of some text in the OT that says "don't kindle fire on the sabbath at home"?

(h). A Holy Convocation; No Domestic Work At Home
Lev. 23:3 - "Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings."

Context again Stimulus! Un-necesary work was what the bible referred to. Work that could have been done during the course of the week should not be done on the Lord's holy day.

The Bible is clear that no manner of work should be done on the Sabbath; and sabbatarians are to afflict their souls forever during the sabbaths.

What is your point of contention? None of those texts you have pointed to really deals with the issue of whether or not one should still be remembering God's holy day of rest.

Bobbyaf, do you SDA people follow the stipulations for the sabbath as outlined in the Bible; or you look for excuses that make it convenient for your group? Are you not the same fellow who offered excuses on the following link?

No one can really keep the sabbath perfectly in this life time Stimulus, and that was never my intention to make it sound that way. We do what we can as best we can, keeping in mind that we depend on God for everything. God's mercy and grace are sufficient.

"If the case isn't emergent then such persons usually get the sabbath off." https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-34371.192.html

I am not sure in what context this statement was made so I can't comment. As a medical professional I have performed duties in the hospitals during emergency cases. Does that make me according to you a sabbath breaker? I could have avoided altogether that kind of responsibility, but that was my choice to do good on the sabbath. There is no crime in finding yourself in a particular profession and then having to do the best you can on the sabbath. There are certain professions that are given exemptions in terms of doing a service on the sabbath. Doctors, nurses, medical technologists, firemen, etc. In the case of a fireman wouldn't it be considered legalistic if a fire broke out in an area and he sat down in church all holy and righteous, and not do something about it, especially as a fireman? One must view the coin from both sides. Not doing good on the sabbath is just as bad as sabbath breaking. That is why Jesus referred the legalistic jews to bear in mind that if an animal was in a ditch on the sabbath it should be lifted. Although work was involved in the process, that kind of work was not the work that the command highlighted.

I should remark that if you want to go by the seventh-day Sabbath observance according to the Law, then you must strictly follow its stipulations. There is just no room for any SDA excuses on any point of the Sabbath Law.

You see its very easy for you to throw legalistic views against SDAs in ordr to gainsay the truth about what God requires, and in a way you don't seem to realize that its not us you're contending with, but God Himself. We didn't create the sabbath for man to keep, it was God. grin

Anyone can approach the OT with a biased view, and that is exactly what you are doing now. Instead of coming with an open mind, you come looking for what you desire to see.

So in summmary the breaking of the sabbaath was not the only thing that merited death back then. The fact that other sins used to warrant death back then and they don't seem to be doing that today makes your point of discussion empty and futile.

What about the sin of adultery, bestiality, homosexuality? Are those laws still applcable today? Things and times have changed haven't they?
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by stimulus(m): 6:32pm On Jun 03, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Bobbyaf:

I don't claim to have the answers, but the bible does. You can make all the claim you want but the truth is the truth.

You have claimed to have the answers by your repeated arguments againts simple truths on the subject and your reharshing a debate from the other thread that you have had no answers to the questions raised. The truth is there - that's why I referred you to the link. Go there and proffer answers to bari_kade's questions instead of evading them.

Bobbyaf:

Under the Mosaic system such would have been the case. The same would apply to committing other sins like stealing and commiitting adultery, so simply categorising the sabbath requirement doesn't make it less worthy of observance

That's another thing you should have provided answers to in the other thread. The question was:

What "10 comamndments" are you referring to - the one you cannot provide from Genesis;
or the same Law of Moses in Exodus that you initially rejected?

What answer did you give to that? Why did you repeatedly evade that question?

Bobbyaf:

That is why it should be kept today, and as a matter of fact the bible says it will be kept in the earth mad new. See Isaiah 66:22,23

Since it is meant to be kept today, do you carefully observe the stipulations of the Sabbath Law; or it has become a thing of convenience with the SDA?

Bobbyaf:

Not if you had to go look for the wood on a sabbath! Don't fail to see the context under which some of the sabbath-keeping requirements were stipulated. Israel lived in the wilderness for 40 years. That explains some of the restrictions, because of the extent of work it would have required to preprare meals. That is why God fed Israel for 40 years with Manna.

The Bible did not say to look for wood on the sabbath, so don't try to stub that verse with your SDA excuse. It clearly said: "Ye shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations upon the sabbath day" (Exo. 3:55).

Bobbyaf:

I am glad you see it! Do you keep your Sunday holy right through?

I'm not a sabbatarian; and for me, everyday is holy - Rom. 14:6.

Bobbyaf:

Isn't it obvious that deliberate disobedience in the light of God's reasonable and clear requirements would have attracted that sort of punishment? You are addressing the wrong person, go ask God who implemented the system back then. Besides, please don't see the sabbatha as a problem because of man's failures to keep it the way that God intended it ot be kept.

Leviticus 16:31 & 23:29 is a simple requirement directly addressed to sabbatarians - afflict yourselves FOREVER or be cut off! Dribbling round it with another excuse that one should 'go ask God who implemented the system back then' is another way of evading the stipulations of the Sabbath Law.

Bobbyaf:

The same can be argued about the women seeing their periods and still coming to church, right? Why is it that such is the case today? Why was that law or requirement necessary back then? Context may be? Situational context perhaps? How one keeps the sabbath today is far different in terms of situational context, than how it could have been kept back then. In other words if a person was visiting with me on a sabbath and needed some hot beverage for example, should I desist from doing good becasue of some text in the OT that says "don't kindle fire on the sabbath at home"?

Bobbyaf, you're obvioulsy beating yourself by arguing against the same Law that you have sought to promote! grin  If you're asking that Christians keep the Law, why complain about the same Law when exposed to its strigent stipulations? And your disregard for God's Word is amazing, because someone who respects Scripture would not be so deriding as to quip: "because of some text in the OT that says. . ." That is simply unethical.

Bobbyaf:

Context again Stimulus! Un-necesary work was what the bible referred to. Work that could have been done during the course of the week should not be done on the Lord's holy day.

Sorry, since you failed to acknowledge the context repeatedly offered you in the other thread, I'd rather stick with the clear declaration in that verse. It says: "ye shall do NO WORK therein"; it did not say: "you shall do Un-necessary work therein"!! (Lev. 23:3). Compare this with: "Ye shall do no manner of work: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings" (Lev. 23:31).

If you want to discuss context, then you should be willing to answer questions when offered. Go back to that thread and answer all 14 or 17 questions before crying 'context' here! Please start with this one:

What "10 comamndments" are you referring to - the one you cannot provide from Genesis;
or the same Law of Moses in Exodus that you initially rejected?

Bobbyaf:

What is your point of contention? None of those texts you have pointed to really deals with the issue of whether or not one should still be remembering God's holy day of rest.

I have no contentions, just points to note - foremost of which has been stated earlier: the seventh-day Sabbath was not made for Christians. If you're arguing that it is, then you'd have to provide a verse for the Sabbath Law from Genesis, and not from Exodus. You cannot use a Law in Exodus and make it applicable to those for whom it was not meant!

Bobbyaf:

No one can really keep the sabbath perfectly in this life time Stimulus, and that was never my intention to make it sound that way. We do what we can as best we can, keeping in mind that we depend on God for everything. God's mercy and grace are sufficient.

I'm glad that you could be honest enough to admit that no one can keep the sabbath law perfectly. However, the Israelites were given this injunction: "Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God" (Deut. 18:13); and there were no excuses allowed in matters of the Law which God gave His people.

However, since Jesus Christ Himself is our perfect rest, we find our perfection in Him, and not in the Law. "For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God" (Heb. 7:19).
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by stimulus(m): 6:34pm On Jun 03, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Bobbyaf:

I am not sure in what context this statement was made so I can't comment. As a medical professional I have performed duties in the hospitals during emergency cases. Does that make me according to you a sabbath breaker? I could have avoided altogether that kind of responsibility, but that was my choice to do good on the sabbath. There is no crime in finding yourself in a particular profession and then having to do the best you can on the sabbath. There are certain professions that are given exemptions in terms of doing a service on the sabbath. Doctors, nurses, medical technologists, firemen, etc. In the case of a fireman wouldn't it be considered legalistic if a fire broke out in an area and he sat down in church all holy and righteous, and not do something about it, especially as a fireman? One must view the coin from both sides. Not doing good on the sabbath is just as bad as sabbath breaking. That is why Jesus referred the legalistic jews to bear in mind that if an animal was in a ditch on the sabbath it should be lifted. Although work was involved in the process, that kind of work was not the work that the command highlighted.

The statement was made by you - so you should be in a better position than anyone else to understand your own context and then offer comments - which you have.

However, if you go back to the Law of the Sabbath, there was no provision made at all for any kind of work. As we have seen, the Bible clearly says that "no manner of work" should be done on the sabbath (with the possible exception of what every man may eat on that very day - "that only may be done of you", Exo. 12:16).

Going to work as a professional in healthcare is directly contravening the Law of the Sabbath, even if excuses are often made around this under the guise of "doing good". Jesus only exposed their own hypocrisy, rather than make any reference to any stipulations for the law of the Sabbath to work as a professional!

There are other professional careers that 4get_me has highlighted as well:

1. NEPA (PHCN) staff

2. transport workers

3. Police

4. Television and Radio staff

5. Airport Authorities

6. Stock Exchange Traders

7. Newspaper agencies. . . etc.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-34371.192.html#msg899457

Where do you fit in these "professionals" if you can afford to find a leeway for your own health/medical professionals? Now remember that whatever excuse one may give (such as the one you offered), these would still fall under the "making and earning a living" activity - they are working for their pockets, whether professionals doing good or not! Whereas the Law says that no manner of work was to be done on the sabbath!

Bobbyaf:

You see its very easy for you to throw legalistic views against SDAs in ordr to gainsay the truth about what God requires, and in a way you don't seem to realize that its not us you're contending with, but God Himself. We didn't create the sabbath for man to keep, it was God. grin

In the first place, the SDA is not God; and if they've been using the Sabbath as a cover for their wrong teaching, we can challenge that. God made the Sabbath Law, and people who respect that Law will not speak slyly about it the way you did earlier: 'becasue of some text in the OT. . .' It really matters how one speaks, and not to assume or excuse oneself with the idea that others are contending with God.

Bobbyaf:

Anyone can approach the OT with a biased view, and that is exactly what you are doing now. Instead of coming with an open mind, you come looking for what you desire to see.

I came with an open mind to the Scriptures - but an alert mind against the SDA biases, thank you. If you were to drop your own biases, you would long have answered bari_kade's questions and not rather have evaded them with the same accusation you whipping up here.

Bobbyaf:

So in summmary the breaking of the sabbaath was not the only thing that merited death back then. The fact that other sins used to warrant death back then and they don't seem to be doing that today makes your point of discussion empty and futile.

You would only wish my points were futile; but be that as you may, the fact that the SDA has failed to follow the stipulations of the Sabbath Law makes their noise in this regard an exercise in futility.

Bobbyaf:

What about the sin of adultery, bestiality, homosexuality? Are those laws still applcable today? Things and times have changed haven't they?

A clever way to circumvent why the SDA has tried to conveniently "change" the stipulations of the Sabbath Law? The point is simple: the Sabbath Law was not made for Christians.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Bobbyaf(m): 12:52am On Jun 04, 2007
@ Stimulus

The statement was made by you - so you should be in a better position than anyone else to understand your own context and then offer comments - which you have.

I didn't check the link so I would not have known I made that statement, but in any case it was made within context. I need not go over what was already discussed and explained by me.

However, if you go back to the Law of the Sabbath, there was no provision made at all for any kind of work. As we have seen, the Bible clearly says that "no manner of work" should be done on the sabbath (with the possible exception of what every man may eat on that very day - "that only may be done of you", Exo. 12:16).

I need not go back to the law of the sabbath to fully explain in what context that law was given, unless of course you can explain why God would deliberately give a sabbath that was meant to be difficult to keep, rather than being a blessing as it was intended from day one. grin Thats yours to explain.

God designed that its observance should designate them as His worshipers. It was to be a token of their separation from idolatry, and their connection with the true God. But in order to keep the Sabbath holy, men must themselves be holy. Through faith they must become partakers of the righteousness of Christ. When the command was given to Israel, "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy," the Lord said also to them, "Ye shall be holy men unto Me." Ex. 20:8; 22:31. Only thus could the Sabbath distinguish Israel as the worshipers of God.

Its easy for anyone to quote the law of the sabbath, with a pharasaical intention, but quite another thing to understand the context in which true sabbath keeping lines up with its objective.

Going to work as a professional in healthcare is directly contravening the Law of the Sabbath, even if excuses are often made around this under the guise of "doing good". Jesus only exposed their own hypocrisy, rather than make any reference to any stipulations for the law of the Sabbath to work as a professional!

I don't believe so! Jesus kept the sabbath and He did good on the sabbath. He healed the sick on the sabbath, but not once did He fail to show by example how the true purpose of the sabbath was to be fulfilled. He said it was lawful to do good on the sabbath, meaning that the sabbath still had its purpose and that apart from worshiping and resting on that day in question, one could still reflect that purpose in doing good, even if it means expending some degree of energy.

What would we attempt to prove by closing our hospitals on the sabbath? What would a SDA doctor prove if he didn't attend to a sick person while in church service, if such a person became ill? What if such a doctor had to take that sick individual to a hospital, and would it make a difference if we used our own hospital? grin

There are other professional careers that 4get_me has highlighted as well:

1. NEPA (PHCN) staff

2. transport workers

3. Police

4. Television and Radio staff

5. Airport Authorities

6. Stock Exchange Traders

7. Newspaper agencies. . . etc.

We have SDAs working in these areas but normally they are given exemption from working during sabbath hours.

Where do you fit in these "professionals" if you can afford to find a leeway for your own health/medical professionals? Now remember that whatever excuse one may give (such as the one you offered), these would still fall under the "making and earning a living" activity - they are working for their pockets, whether professionals doing good or not! Whereas the Law says that no manner of work was to be done on the sabbath!

Its not as difficult as you're making it out to be. SDAs are taught right from wrong. If one finds himself in a career that forces him to have to choose between being obedient to God or man, then its time to go find another profession or job. SDAs have a choice like anyone else. If some fail to obey God rather than man then its up to them and their God.

In the first place, the SDA is not God; and if they've been using the Sabbath as a cover for their wrong teaching, we can challenge that.

I wonder who instituted the sabbath, God or the SDA church? Just listen to yourself how ridiculous you can get. Besides, you dare not challenge God's truth for it always wins, but you're welcome to try but bear in mind you will fail.

I came with an open mind to the Scriptures - but an alert mind against the SDA biases, thank you. If you were to drop your own biases, you would long have answered bari_kade's questions and not rather have evaded them with the same accusation you whipping up here.

I am not that easily fooled. Neither you nor barikade have defended yourself in a manner thats worth it. Rather than insult I'd prefer if you show humility and a contrite heart, and only then will you begin to learn truth from error. A proud heart has no space for knowledge of God's truth for this time.

You would only wish my points were futile; but be that as you may, the fact that the SDA has failed to follow the stipulations of the Sabbath Law makes their noise in this regard an exercise in futility.

Of course your understanding of those stipulations, and the context in which they were given is yet to be demonstrated. Merely quoting some text from the OT in order to escape the larger reality of sabbath truth, won't help neither in the short or long term. You have a lot to learn, but mark my words you will one way or the other.

Quote from: Bobbyaf on Today at 03:44:43 PM

A clever way to circumvent why the SDA has tried to conveniently "change" the stipulations of the Sabbath Law? The point is simple: the Sabbath Law was not made for Christians.

But you still haven't answered the question about how God is dealing with adultery and homosexuality today have you? In the OT the sin of adultery, bestiality, homosexuality, and sabbath breaking were all punishable by death. The fact that God isn't striking down anyone dead in this day and age should tell you something, shouldn't it? grin

God never gave the laws to become a shackle, but a guide. The ones who were stoned back then knew better but rebelled anyway, and any open rebellion back then left unchecked in that particular circumstance would have led to more rebellion. The last thing on God's mind was to kill or destroy His people, but sin had to be kept in check.

The stipulated laws with their attending death penalties only became a problem to a set of spiritually immature stiff-necked people. Those who are obedient don't see them that way just as how SDAs don't see the sabbath as a shackle. We rejoice in the freedom that Christ has brought in helping us to understand the true purpose and blessing that God intended for the sabbath, and those who keep it respectively.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by Bobbyaf(m): 1:57am On Jun 04, 2007
Purpose of God's commands
God's Word tells us that His commandments are never burdensome (1John 5:3). They are not meaningless or arbitrary. They were given to humanity in love from a God of infinite wisdom and knowledge (Isaiah 55:8,9). They were given to be a benefit to mankind, bringing blessings when obeyed (Deuteronomy 4:40; 5:29,33). These commandments include God's Sabbath. It is a day of rest and refreshing, given to man by the One who designed and created mankind. It is a time for physical, emotional and spiritual renewal.

God knew that we would need this time to nurture and strengthen a right relationship with Him. Part of the Sabbath command reads, "Six days you shall labor and do all your work, " God tells us to take care of our ordinary work and concerns on the other six days, leaving our time and our minds free to properly worship and obey Him by observing the Sabbath. When we are free to focus our minds and thoughts on God's way and purpose, the Sabbath truly becomes the blessing and delight God intends it to be (Isaiah 58:13,14).

On this seventh day of each week, we should cease from our own work and allow God to work in us, building and nourishing our relationship with our Creator.

Jesus
"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read." Luke 4:16

Jesus
"And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." Matthew 19:16-17

Jesus
"But pray ye that your flight be not in winter, neither on the Sabbath day." Matthew 24:20.
Jesus asked his disciples to pray that in the flight from the doomed city of Jerusalem they would not have to flee on the Sabbath day. This flight took place in 70 A.D. (40 years after the Cross).

His Followers
"And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments and rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment." Luke 23:56

Paul
"And Paul, as his manner was went in unto them, and three Sabbath days reasoned with them out of the Scriptures" Acts 17:2

Paul And Gentiles
"And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath. And the next Sabbath came almost the whole city together to hear the Word of God." Acts 13:42, 44.

Here we find Gentiles in a Gentile city gathering on the Sabbath. It was not a synagogue meeting in verse 44, for it says almost the whole city came together, verse 42 says they asked to hear the message the "next Sabbath."

John
"I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day." Rev. 1:10 (Mark 2:28, Isa.58:13, Ex.20:10, Clearly show the Sabbath to be the Lord's day).

Josephus
"There is not any city of the Grecians, nor any of the Barbarians, nor any nation whatsoever, whither our custom of resting on the seventh day hath not come!" M'Clatchie, "Notes and Queries on China and Japan" (edited by Dennys), Vol 4, Nos 7, 8, p.100.

Philo
Declares the seventh day to be a festival, not of this or of that city, but of the universe. M'Clatchie, "Notes and Queries," Vol. 4, 99

The early christians according to historical writers showed that the sabbath was kept until the time before the decree against it, by the Roman authorities. The question is if Jesus or His disciples had given a command to cease from keeping that institution, then why would early christians after the death of Christ continue to keep it?
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by stimulus(m): 10:09am On Jun 04, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Bobbyaf:

I didn't check the link so I would not have known I made that statement, but in any case it was made within context. I need not go over what was already discussed and explained by me.

I knew you didn't bother to check the link - I said so earlier. You just seem to be in the habit of arguing issues without a humble spirit to learn.

Bobbyaf:

I need not go back to the law of the sabbath to fully explain in what context that law was given, unless of course you can explain why God would deliberately give a sabbath that was meant to be difficult to keep, rather than being a blessing as it was intended from day one. grin Thats yours to explain.

My position on this was clear from the onset - the Sabbath Law was not made for Christians. So, it's not in my place to argue for the Sabbath; rather it's yours, since that has been your arguement all along. grin That's the one reason why you refused to read issues carefully, or even care to visit the links offered.

Bobbyaf:

God designed that its observance should designate them as His worshipers. It was to be a token of their separation from idolatry, and their connection with the true God.

The Sabbath was not the distinguishing feature that seperated true worshippers from idolaters in the OT. The one thing God set to distinguish the OT saints was circumcision - Gen. 17:11 & Deut. 30:6. An outward observance of the Sabbath did not distinguish an idolater from a saint.

Bobbyaf:

But in order to keep the Sabbath holy, men must themselves be holy. Through faith they must become partakers of the righteousness of Christ. When the command was given to Israel, "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy," the Lord said also to them, "Ye shall be holy men unto Me." Ex. 20:8; 22:31. Only thus could the Sabbath distinguish Israel as the worshipers of God.

Again, the Sabbath was not the distinguishing factor that marked out Israel as worshippers of God. There were others who knew God and yet had no law of a sabbath, such as Moses' father-in-law Jethro the priest of Midian. The Law was specifically ordained unto Israel (Deut. 5:2-3); and that same Law had the Sabbath and its stipulations as highglighted earlier. No other nation had the Sabbath Law instituted unto them; and yet there were non-Israelites who knew God and had their own priesthood.

Bobbyaf:

Its easy for anyone to quote the law of the sabbath, with a pharasaical intention, but quite another thing to understand the context in which true sabbath keeping lines up with its objective.

Yep, that's true - and you just describe yourself. smiley

Bobbyaf:

I don't believe so! Jesus kept the sabbath and He did good on the sabbath. He healed the sick on the sabbath, but not once did He fail to show by example how the true purpose of the sabbath was to be fulfilled. He said it was lawful to do good on the sabbath, meaning that the sabbath still had its purpose and that apart from worshiping and resting on that day in question, one could still reflect that purpose in doing good, even if it means expending some degree of energy.

Jesus' intention was not to work as a "rpofessional" on the Sabbath. Going to work on the Sabbath is concomitant to earning money for your pocket! So please don't try to wrap your excuse around Jesus' intention to make your secular job excusable.

Bobbyaf:

What would we attempt to prove by closing our hospitals on the sabbath? What would a SDA doctor prove if he didn't attend to a sick person while in church service, if such a person became ill? What if such a doctor had to take that sick individual to a hospital, and would it make a difference if we used our own hospital? grin

It makes all the difference because the SDA fails to observe the Sabbath according to its stipulations. The one thing your doctors are proving is their pocket, and not their sabbath observation. cheesy

Bobbyaf:

We have SDAs working in these areas but normally they are given exemption from working during sabbath hours.

A fine way of excusing SDAs while seeking to make the Sabbath strigent unto others. There's no excuse for exemptions in the Law of the Sabbath.

Bobbyaf:

Its not as difficult as you're making it out to be. SDAs are taught right from wrong. If one finds himself in a career that forces him to have to choose between being obedient to God or man, then its time to go find another profession or job. SDAs have a choice like anyone else. If some fail to obey God rather than man then its up to them and their God.

As long as you make exemptions for your SDA 'professionals' where the Sabbath Law makes no exemptions, that is disobedience to God. Period.

Bobbyaf:

I wonder who instituted the sabbath, God or the SDA church? Just listen to yourself how ridiculous you can get. Besides, you dare not challenge God's truth for it always wins, but you're welcome to try but bear in mind you will fail.

Your threats are comical. Your SDA fallacies have been challenged by bari_kade who exposed them in the light of God's truth; and up until now you have had no answers to even one of his 15 questions.

Bobbyaf:

I am not that easily fooled. Neither you nor barikade have defended yourself in a manner thats worth it. Rather than insult I'd prefer if you show humility and a contrite heart, and only then will you begin to learn truth from error. A proud heart has no space for knowledge of God's truth for this time.

You often fold your tails between your legs and whimper like a child when your own games are applied to you. You don't get acrid in your discussions and expect other discussants to pay you a chief's respect, do you? When you drop your pride, then your eyes will be open to the conceit being paraded in the SDA.

Bobbyaf:

Of course your understanding of those stipulations, and the context in which they were given is yet to be demonstrated. Merely quoting some text from the OT in order to escape the larger reality of sabbath truth, won't help neither in the short or long term. You have a lot to learn, but mark my words you will one way or the other.

I've hinted earlier that it's not my intention to reharsh a well-rounded debate here as from the other thread. The contexts, stipulations and insight on the subject have been hugely demonstrated there. Instead of making lazy statements here, if you care, please either go there and answer bari_kade's 15 questions; or answer them here!

Bobbyaf:

But you still haven't answered the question about how God is dealing with adultery and homosexuality today have you? In the OT the sin of adultery, bestiality, homosexuality, and sabbath breaking were all punishable by death. The fact that God isn't striking down anyone dead in this day and age should tell you something, shouldn't it?

It only tells me that the Sabbath Law is not applicable to Christians.

Bobbyaf:

God never gave the laws to become a shackle, but a guide. The ones who were stoned back then knew better but rebelled anyway, and any open rebellion back then left unchecked in that particular circumstance would have led to more rebellion. The last thing on God's mind was to kill or destroy His people, but sin had to be kept in check.

The rebellion has become more pronounced among those who flagrantly break the Sabbath Law by ignoring its stipulations in order to make exemptions for the SDA 'professionals'.

Bobbyaf:

The stipulated laws with their attending death penalties only became a problem to a set of spiritually immature stiff-necked people.

That's true - and it precisely applies to your 'professionals'.

Bobbyaf:

Those who are obedient don't see them that way just as how SDAs don't see the sabbath as a shackle. We rejoice in the freedom that Christ has brought in helping us to understand the true purpose and blessing that God intended for the sabbath, and those who keep it respectively.

Christ did not ask Christians to observe the OT Law of the Sabbath, for He is indeed our blessed Sabbath (Matt. 11:29 & Heb. 4:10). In order to keep the OT Sabbath Law, you would have to adhere to its stipulations; and making excuses for exemptions that do not exist in that Law, is to break God's direct commandment under the guise of being a professional and earning money for your pocket!
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by stimulus(m): 10:10am On Jun 04, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Bobbyaf:

Purpose of God's commands
God's Word tells us that His commandments are never burdensome (1John 5:3). They are not meaningless or arbitrary. They were given to humanity in love from a God of infinite wisdom and knowledge (Isaiah 55:8,9). They were given to be a benefit to mankind, bringing blessings when obeyed (Deuteronomy 4:40; 5:29,33). These commandments include God's Sabbath. It is a day of rest and refreshing, given to man by the One who designed and created mankind. It is a time for physical, emotional and spiritual renewal.

God knew that we would need this time to nurture and strengthen a right relationship with Him. Part of the Sabbath command reads, "Six days you shall labor and do all your work, " God tells us to take care of our ordinary work and concerns on the other six days, leaving our time and our minds free to properly worship and obey Him by observing the Sabbath. When we are free to focus our minds and thoughts on God's way and purpose, the Sabbath truly becomes the blessing and delight God intends it to be (Isaiah 58:13,14).

On this seventh day of each week, we should cease from our own work and allow God to work in us, building and nourishing our relationship with our Creator.

Jesus
"And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read." Luke 4:16

Jesus
"And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." Matthew 19:16-17

Jesus
"But pray ye that your flight be not in winter, neither on the Sabbath day." Matthew 24:20.
Jesus asked his disciples to pray that in the flight from the doomed city of Jerusalem they would not have to flee on the Sabbath day. This flight took place in 70 A.D. (40 years after the Cross).

His Followers
"And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments and rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment." Luke 23:56

Paul
"And Paul, as his manner was went in unto them, and three Sabbath days reasoned with them out of the Scriptures" Acts 17:2

Paul And Gentiles
"And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath. And the next Sabbath came almost the whole city together to hear the Word of God." Acts 13:42, 44.

Here we find Gentiles in a Gentile city gathering on the Sabbath. It was not a synagogue meeting in verse 44, for it says almost the whole city came together, verse 42 says they asked to hear the message the "next Sabbath."

Please go back and calmly read these links:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-34371.128.html#msg858472

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-34371.128.html#msg858475

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-34371.128.html#msg860463

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-34371.128.html#msg860468

You might find them helpful. Cheers.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by stimulus(m): 10:11am On Jun 04, 2007
@Bobbyaf,

Bobbyaf:

John
"I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day." Rev. 1:10 (Mark 2:28, Isa.58:13, Ex.20:10, Clearly show the Sabbath to be the Lord's day).

Those verses do not teach that the seventh-day Sabbath had become the Lord's Day of Rev. 1:10.

Bobbyaf:

Josephus
"There is not any city of the Grecians, nor any of the Barbarians, nor any nation whatsoever, whither our custom of resting on the seventh day hath not come!" M'Clatchie, "Notes and Queries on China and Japan" (edited by Dennys), Vol 4, Nos 7, 8, p.100.

Josephus was a Jewish historian, and not a Christian; so he wasn't writing as a Christian when he made reference to "our custom"!!

Bobbyaf:

Philo
Declares the seventh day to be a festival, not of this or of that city, but of the universe. M'Clatchie, "Notes and Queries," Vol. 4, 99

Did Philo mention the seventh day festival as a Christian rite?

Bobbyaf:

The early christians according to historical writers showed that the sabbath was kept until the time before the decree against it, by the Roman authorities. The question is if Jesus or His disciples had given a command to cease from keeping that institution, then why would early christians after the death of Christ continue to keep it?

What "Roman authorities" are you talking about, Bobbyaf? People who know very little about Christian history have always sought to parade this shoddy idea without carefully checking with the historical antecedence. Please don't try to cheat your readers; and here is an excerpt of an article in the Encyclopedia Brittannica (15th Ed., Vol. 11, pg. 392):

Sunday, first day of the week; in Christianity, the Lord's Day, the weekly memorial of Jesus Christ's
resurrection from the dead. The practice of Christians gathering together for worship on Sunday dates
back to apostolic times, but details of the actual development of the custom are not clear. Before the
end of the 1st Century AD, the author of Revelation gave the first day its name of the "Lord's Day"
(Rev. 1:10). Saint Justin Martyr (c. 100-c. 165), philosopher and defender of the Christian faith, in his
writings described the Christians gathered together for worship on the Lord's Day: the gospels or the
Old Testament was read, the presiding minister preached a sermon, and the group prayed together and
celebrated the Lord's Supper. The emperor Constantine (d. 337), a convert to Christianity, introduced the
first civil legislation concerning Sunday in 321, when he decreed that all work should cease on Sunday,
except that farmers could work if necessary. This law, aimed at providing time for worship, was followed
later in the same century and in subsequent centuries by further restrictions on Sunday activities.

However, before even the birth of Emperor Constantine, church fathers who lived and wrote earlier on Church history have stated clearly that Sunday was being observed by Christians. There are several translations of the early Church Fathers' writings; but the gists are the same in substance.

Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch in Syria wrote in his epistle to the Magnesians (c. A.D. 110):

8. Do not be led astray by those erroneous teachings and ancient fables which are utterly worthless. Indeed,
if at this date we still conform to Judaism, then we own that we have not received grace. Why, the Prophets,
those men so very near to God, lived in conformity with Christ Jesus. . .

9. Consequently, if the people who were given to obsolete practices faced the hope of a new life, and if these
no longer observe the Sabbath, but regulate their calendar by the Lord's Day, the day, too, on which our Life rose
by His power and through the medium of His death--though some deny this; and if to this mystery we owe our
faith and because of it submit to sufferings to prove ourselves disciples of Jesus Christ, our only Teacher: how,
then, can we possibly live apart from Him of whom, by the working of the Spirit, even the Prophets were disciples
and to whom they looked forward as their Teacher? And so He, for whom they rightly waited, came and raised them
from the dead.

10.  . . .It is absurd to have Jesus Christ on the lips, and at the same time live like a Jew.

Justin Martyr (c. 100-165 A.D.) in his First Apology of Justin, Chapter 67 wrote:

"And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place,
and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; . . .
But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which
God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Savior
on the same day rose from the dead."

Eusebius writing in his Ecclesiatical History, Book 1, Chapter 5 (c. A.D. 315) stated:

For as the name Christians is intended to indicate this very idea, that a man, by the knowledge and
doctrine of Christ, is distinguished by modesty and justice, by patience and a virtuous fortitude, and
by a profession of piety towards the one and only true and supreme God; all this no less studiously
cultivated by them than by us. They did not, therefore, regard circumcision, nor observe the Sabbath,
neither do we; neither do we abstain from certain foods, nor regard other injunctions, which Moses
subsequently delivered to be observed in types and symbols, because such things as these do not
belong to Christians."

The same Eusebius wrote earlier in A.D. 312:

"They did not care about circumcision of the body, neither do we. They did not care about
observing Sabbaths, nor do we
. They did not avoid certain kinds of food, neither did they
regard the other distinctions which Moses first delivered to their posterity to be observed as
symbols; nor do Christians of the present day do such things" (Church History 1:4:8 ).

You can see, Bobbyaf, that before the "Roman authorities" did anything about Sunday, early Christians were holding their worship on such days. You can't cheat on Church history; and I'd advise that you calmly go back and humble yourself before God so that your eyes may be opened to His Word on this subject.

Christians are not Jews; and any Christian wanting to enslave themselves by the Sabbath Law is bound to observe that Law strictly with its divine stipulations expressly given in the OT. If you cannot do so, please make no excuses for the so-called "exemptions" the SDA has conveniently made out for itself in order to rebel against the commandment of God!
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by lafile(m): 12:59pm On Jun 04, 2007
thot bari kade concluded this topic ages ago, any way no harm in lecturing some new members
@stimulus, where u been?
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by thesilent1(m): 1:05pm On Jun 04, 2007
Christians are not Jews; and any Christian wanting to enslave themselves by the Sabbath Law is bound to observe that Law strictly with its divine stipulations expressly given in the OT. If you cannot do so, please make no excuses for the so-called "exemptions" the SDA has conveniently made out for itself in order to rebel against the commandment of God!

music to my ears.

the jewish/ christian thing has caused so much confusion and for me this is the BIGGEST bone i have to pick.
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by stimulus(m): 1:36pm On Jun 04, 2007
@lafile,

lafile:

thot bari kade concluded this topic ages ago, any way no harm in lecturing some new members

I tire O!  cheesy Several time I hinted this to our friend Bobbyaf, but the bobo no gree see the deal. Several times I went back to that thread and humbly thanked God for such wisdom and insight in how bari_kade handled the subject.

lafile:

@stimulus, where u been?

I just dey around - misbehaving as usual!  grin
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by stimulus(m): 1:38pm On Jun 04, 2007
@thesilent1,

thesilent1:

music to my ears.

the jewish/ christian thing has caused so much confusion and for me this is the BIGGEST bone i have to pick.

Lol, good for you! grin As for me, I'm still grappling with several other bones in my throat; and by the grace of God, I no go swallow them!! grin
Re: Saturday Or Sunday by thesilent1(m): 1:42pm On Jun 04, 2007
AMIN!!!! loruko Jesu!!!!!!!!! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Prophet TB Joshua’s Disciple, Wiseman Harry, One Other Arrested (Pics) / THEHOMER: Now Lets Discuss The Big Bang & Time / Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 267
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.